PDA

View Full Version : The War Machine

Marik Vaughan
12-14-08, 06:29 PM
Waiting for my friend to get back on so we can talk about the history and name, but otherwise complete. Also, I'm aware that it seems quite powerful and I'll nerf it wherever needed.

Name:

Weight: Between 2,600 and 2,800 pounds

Height: 7 feet

Hair color: N/A

Eye color: N/A

Personality: Although it is just a construct, the thing still has a personality, however shallow. It is incapable, at the moment, of deciphering between sarcasm and seriousness, between jokes and anger, nor can it express any true emotions, though it can mimic them to an extent. It has a single track of thought for the most part, and that would be the task at hand, be it guarding a friend or destroying an enemy.

Appearance: Standing seven feet tall with a weight exceeding two thousand pounds, the presence of this war machine can hardly be overlooked anywhere, be it a field of battle or in a town. Acting as an autonomous creature, capable of free will, individual thought, and the ability to learn, it is a wonder in its own right. Created for war, the construct is built of steel plates, most ranging from two to three inches in thickness, others between one and two inches. At first, it may be assumed that there's actually a person within the armor, but it'd be a lie to say such.

Being such a machine of war, the construct has several devastating weapons, ranging from the three claw-like fingers of its left hand, the foot-long spike housed within the left forearm, and the arcane cannon that makes up the majority of the right arm. All three of these weapons, unlike the rest of the construct, are made of Dehlar. The cannon, for all purposes, is fully capable of tapping into the reservoir of arcane energy housed within the body of the construct, and can use it to fire spheres of magical energy. However, it only has three chambers within the base of the cannon to store the energy to be fired, and once a case has been expended, it will take some time to restore it to a usable point.

Stored within the thick armor of the chest is a reservoir of arcane energy, channeled through a ten-pound stone of pure onyx. This is the lifeblood of the war machine, what gives it the ability to live. If ever the stone were removed, the creature would simply cease to function, until another channeling stone replaced the last. To ensure the reservoir of arcane energy would rarely become empty, the ability to tap into the residue left by a cast spell, or into the direct connection formed by another channeling energy, or the magic from an enchanted object was added.

Weapons:
---Left hand claws
---Left arm foot-long spike
---Right arm arcana cannon

Armor: Pretty much itself. Ranges from two to three inches for the cannon, body, arms, and legs, to one or two inches thick for everything else.

Skills:
---Arcana cannon: The cannon taking up most of the right arm is capable of firing magical energy as a projectile attack by tapping into the arcane reservoir of magic stored within itself. However, depending on how powerful the attack is going to be is determined by how many posts the attack is charged for. It can only fire as many times as a chamber is prepared, and after firing, a newly emptied chamber will slowly begin to refill with energy, and take at least five posts to fully fill. The required number of posts to fill will increase, depending on how powerful the attack was.

One post: Yields the effect of a thrown baseball
Two posts: Somewhat stronger effect of a one-post charge
Three posts: Same power of a two-post charge, with an added ten foot diameter shockwave capable of unbalancing lightweight foes. (Unbalancing effect strongest within a three-foot area)
Four posts: Same power as a two-post charge, with an added fifteen foot diameter shockwave capable of knocking lightweight foes over (Knockdown effect strongest within a five-foot area)
Five posts: Somewhat more power than a two-post charge, with an added twenty foot diameter shockwave capable of unbalancing heavier foes (Unbalancing strongest within a five-foot area, knockdown of lighter foes effective between five and twelve feet, unbalancing of lightweight foes effective between twelve and twenty feet)

Abilities:
---Strength: Capable of lifting between 1,500 to 2,000 pounds, given position and situation.
---Endurance: Being made of iron has several points of interest. While the sheer weight makes it slower than an average man, it's quite notably harder to inflict actual damage on the creature.
---Sight: Lacking true sight, the war machine can see the essences of other creatures, living or dead. This makes it hard to discern between friend and foe.
---Sight: Utilizing infravision for actual sight, the war machine can see in low-light situations.
---Onyx stone is constantly searching for something to connect with to acquire more arcane energy to add to the reservoir. The drain isn't too noticable, more like a slow leeching.

History: Need to wait for my friend to get on again so we can collaborate on the history and name

http://i35.tinypic.com/jg4p5k.gif

Need to contact me? Donovan_Makail@msn.com, I use MSN Messenger. Feel free to add me.

Taskmienster
12-14-08, 08:28 PM
The cannon, one post charge for a baseball. 4 posts for... say... a 5-7 pound bowling ball at the same speed? Or, if you'd like, a 4 post charge can shoot 2 grapefruit size charges at once that are equivalent to 3-4 pounds shot at the same speed. And we'll knock the recharge time down to 5 post countdown. Since these are magical attacks, you must be careful with attacking those that are resistant to magic, and or can stop magic.

And what does the Onyx stone passage mean?

I think that this is a good profile, other than the history which of course you can edit in when you make whatever changes you need to make to the profile. I'd like to suggest that you can also change the metal of the claws and the one foot spike to something a bit higher than steel, say Dehlar (which is a very heavy, dense, and strong metal).

Marik Vaughan
12-14-08, 10:36 PM
I'll take a look around at some more options for the arcana cannon and get back to you about what I come up with later or tomorrow, depending. As for the claws, I might just have to take you up on that offer.

As for the onyx stone, that's what allows the war machine to continue operating. It's that stone which keeps the arcane energies bound inside the armor, allows the cannon to tap into those energies, and allows the machine to draw energy from outside sources. If that stone were ever removed, it'd cease to function until another stone of equal weight and size, which can channel magic energies, is obtained.

Likewise, if the pool of arcane energy is ever depleted, the war machine would, again, cease to function, but only until enough arcane magic was built up within to start back up.

I also believe that I forgot to add in that actions such as lifting heavy objects, starting from about 500 pounds and up, work to drain arcane energy, so it isn't able to do a lot of extreneous activity without threatening its own supply of power.

Taskmienster
12-14-08, 10:44 PM
Alright, whenever you make the edits just post again telling me what you decided and added in and I'll get the profile done and out of the way for you.

Marik Vaughan
12-15-08, 12:21 AM
Alright, edited some of the stuff in the profile, I've included it below.

Being such a machine of war, the construct has several devastating weapons, ranging from the three claw-like fingers of its left hand, the foot-long spike housed within the left forearm, and the arcane cannon that makes up the majority of the right arm. All three of these weapons, unlike the rest of the construct, are made of Dehlar.

Skills:
---Arcana cannon: The cannon taking up most of the right arm is capable of firing magical energy as a projectile attack by tapping into the arcane reservoir of magic stored within itself. However, depending on how powerful the attack is going to be is determined by how many posts the attack is charged for. It can only fire as many times as a chamber is prepared, and after firing, a newly emptied chamber will slowly begin to refill with energy, and take at least five posts to fully fill. The required number of posts to fill will increase, depending on how powerful the attack was.

One post: Yields the effect of a thrown baseball
Two posts: Somewhat stronger effect of a one-post charge
Three posts: Same power of a two-post charge, with an added ten foot diameter shockwave capable of unbalancing lightweight foes. (Unbalancing effect strongest within a three-foot area)
Four posts: Same power as a two-post charge, with an added fifteen foot diameter shockwave capable of knocking lightweight foes over (Knockdown effect strongest within a five-foot area)
Five posts: Somewhat more power than a two-post charge, with an added twenty foot diameter shockwave capable of unbalancing heavier foes (Unbalancing strongest within a five-foot area, knockdown of lighter foes effective between five and twelve feet, unbalancing of lightweight foes effective between twelve and twenty feet)

Taskmienster
12-15-08, 03:04 AM
Looks good. Good luck with the tournament and have fun!

Approved.