PDA

View Full Version : You Bet! (two games of chance)

Fitz
12-16-08, 10:32 PM
These are two games of chance I had developed for a character I'll be working with here. feel free to have a look and give any feedback and suggestions, I'll be honest though I'm more using this to have a place to link to if I need it for a IC post. both games are fully functional and can be played with standard cards or six sided dice. I'll admit they are likely a little convoluted to be something you'd want to sit down play on a Saturday night.

THREE EYES:

Description:
"Three Eyes" is a popular dice game played predominantly amongst bounty hunters and the city watch, but is gaining popularity around the city. Its name comes from the representation of justice as an unblinking third eye; a concept popular amongst the hunters and watch.

It is common practice to refer to the game by the value of the Bail being posted such as: “Copper Eye”, “Silver Eye”, and “Gold Eye”, when playing for platinum pieces the game is often referred to as “Gent's Eye” as it's typically only played by the very rich and the very foolish.

What You Need:
The game is played with three equally sided dice (typically six sided) marked on each side in an ascending order starting at one. Typically the one is represented on the die with a lidless eye.

How To Play:
Before the game starts a “Bail” is set. This first Bail buys each player one cast of all three dice, and must be posted by all players in advance of the first casting of dice. If the player casts a one with any of their three dice they have “Made Bail”. The player is given the option to pay Bail again for each die that is not a one; however, the player buys their dice individually now; so if their cast was 1-3-6 and they wanted to recast both the 3 and the 6 they would have to pay the Bail price for the 3 and then again for the 6. This can only be done if the player made a one in the previous cast. Once a player’s turn has ended they pass the dice to the next player left of themselves.

If the dice make it around the circuit without any ones being cast then bail is once more posted by all and the pot remains. If a player casts a one they follows the reposting rules until their turn is complete and pass the dice left to the next player.

This player must match or beat the number of ones the previous player has cast. If they do not they are out for the round. If the player matches the previous player’s total he is entitle to a split of the pot and pass the dice on. If the player beat the previous player’s total they are the new leader passing the dice on to the next who must match or beat.

This circuit continues until the dice return to the current leader(s) at which point the leader(s) take the pot.

Many of the hands within Three Eyes have their own special name, and the most important of them all is “3 Eyes” which is explained below.

Bust: no ones cast
Single: 1/3 ones
Doubles: 2/3 ones
Trips: 3/3 ones
3 Eyes: 3/3 ones on the first roll. Player takes pot round ends.
*First three eyes a player makes is called a Runner
*Second three eyes a player makes is called Marked
*Third and final three yes a player makes is called Justice¹
¹: If a player casts justice his winnings are split evenly amongst the other players and he must leave the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTERS GAMBIT:

Hunter’s gambit is popular card game played most often by those of the bounty hunting profession. It is rumored that the game was developed as a way for the hunters to practice their skills of deception and more importantly their ability to sniff out lies. In deed the key to the game is rooted in one’s ability to not only bluff the other players, but to be able to read their tells as they attempt to bluff you.

The game is played with a deck of 52 cards. The deck is broken into four distinct suits (Wind, Dragon, Sun, Waves) each suit is comprised of ten numerical cards (1-10) and three face cards (Judge, Jury, Executioner).

Play:
The game begins with the “Buy” (a pre-round ante decided prior to play) all players who pay the Buy are then dealt five cards. Two face-up cards and then three cards face-down. Now comes the “Bold” before players look at their face-down cards they must wager how well they think they’ll do based on the two cards they’ve seen compared to the other hands. This begins with the player to the right of the dealer who has the option to either “Confess” (throw in their hand face down) or make a Bold. The action then moves clockwise around the table until all players have either Confessed or matched the highest Bold.

Now all remaining players may look at their three face-down cards. Beginning again with the player right of the dealer they must call out their best hand made from the total of all five cards. The players only have to say their best hand not what cards make up such a hand. Players are also permitted to lie in the process. This phase is called the “Plea”.

Once all players make their Plea a second round of Bolds begins. After all the Bolds and Confessions are made the Verdict phase begins, during this phase any player may accuse another player of “Guilt” at which point the accused must reveal his hand. If he does not have the hand he Plead then he is out of the hand and must pay 1/3 his winnings to the accuser; however if the accuser is wrong he must pay 1/2 of his winnings to the accused at the end of the round.

Any players remaining after this phase reveal their hands and the player with the highest hand takes the pot.

Variations:
Hunter’s Wink: the game is played the same except only one card is dealt face-up
Blind Justice: the game is played the same except all five cards are dealt face down.

Hands: (highest to lowest)
Court of the Quarter (Judge, Jury, Executioner, 10, 9 all the same suit)
Quarter Row (any consecutive sequence of 5 cards all the same suit)
Pack the Court (a Triple and a Pair)
Quarter (5 of the same suit)
Row (consecutive sequence of 5 cards)
Walking the Walls (one of each suit and a face card ”I’ve got a judge walking the walls”)
Triple ( three of the same number card)
Double Doubles (two Doubles)
Double (two of the same number card)
Lonesome (nothing but a high card “I’ve got a Lonesome judge”)

AdventWings
12-17-08, 04:40 AM
Hmm, interesting take on IC gambling...

The dice game (Three Eyes) seems to be very interesting and easy to play. I think I'll try my hands at that in a simulation some time to see how it works.

Hunter's Gambit, however, catches my attention. Overall, it's like a standard Poker game with its cards and "bluffing" system. However, the point about Bolds, Pleas and Guilts are nice added twists to the "bluff" techniques. I can actually see this being played by real people who have to be on the edge of the law. The difficulty of the game would be more in memorizing the hand names, although I guess you'll end up remebering them the more you play.

Interesting games! :)

Kially Gaith
12-17-08, 12:06 PM
Nice! VERY NICE! Excellent work right there. ...I can't actually think how to complement you right now as I don't feel all that good but yeah. I do like. Might be worth trying to get these implemented as canon into Althanas through quests of some sort.

Fitz
12-17-08, 02:22 PM
Wow, thanks very much. I had written these a little while back when I first worked up Kuldroc. If you'd like to work them into the background tapestry of Althanas your more then welcome to. No worries they are both original, although the one is undeniable a variant of poker. Also if you happen across Kuldroc in your travels he'd be more then happy to teach you the games.

Kially Gaith
12-17-08, 03:51 PM
Well...If you want to develop it/use it, I'd be more than willing to work something out with you, providing it's kept in short simple posts. (Because let's face it...I have a great deal on my plate to deal with right now.)

I'll PM you my MSN/AIM to discuss stuff with you if you'd like to.

Fitz
12-17-08, 04:07 PM
No worries, I'm just as happy to let it grow organically. I just wanted to give my character a little flavor he has to do something on his down time aside from eat, sleep, and buy better gear.