PDA

View Full Version : Third person narration

KnightVanguard
12-18-08, 05:00 PM
When I write creatively I almost always do so in the third person past tense. I narrate from the point of view of the character and color all my descriptions with the way they perceive their world. It is rare for me to explicitly have a character think something, or go into an internal monologue of any kind. The reason for this is because the piece I’m writing already shows what the character is feeling and their opinions of a setting, person, or situation. I try to employ appropriate body language to enhance this but actual dialogue is almost exclusively handled between characters.

I lurked around the board for a long time before finally becoming a member so from my reading I have a reasonable understanding of how things work here. My question though is:

While my writing style should work well for the Persona category would the sparing internal dialogue damage my Dialogue score?

Any answers you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ashiakin
12-18-08, 06:32 PM
No, it shouldn't. The Dialogue score isn't intended to make you write dialogue in any one way--just whatever way is most appropriate to your writing style and your character. If you're really worried you can always leave the judge a note when you submit the thread.

KnightVanguard
12-18-08, 06:47 PM
That’s comforting to know. Thank you for clarifying it for me.