PDA

View Full Version : Epsilon

Exspherius
12-18-08, 08:38 PM
All right, my entry for the tournament! I don't know how widespread Sci-Fi characters are, seeing as I couldn't find any examples of them, but there was nothing saying it was not allowed. So, if this character is not what you're looking for, please let me know.

[Name]: Epsilon
[Age]: 24
[Race]: Human, albeit genetically modified and cybernetically enhanced
[Hair Color]: Black
[Eye Color]: Steel Grey
[Height]: 5’11”
[Weight]: 170
[Occupation]: Battle Esper

[Personality]:

His experiences in the military complex has led him to be introverted and very self-controlled, resulting in a person who is difficult to understand, much less befriend. This, combined with the unnerving aura surrounding him, leads few to approach him.

At the same time, he feels a strong desire to aid and protect those he sees suffering. This is due to the fact that, during his imprisonment, there was no-one to help or protect him. Since escaping the facility, he has played a sot of cosmic Robin Hood, going where his mind detects pain and doing what he can to help.

[Appearance]:

Epsilon is a nondescript figure in most crowds. His raiment is simple and efficient, consisting of sturdy black fatigues accented with silver trim. On his right shoulder, he bears the insignia of the Gemyndi Psi-Ops. He wears utilitarian boots and elbow-length gauntlets that are reinforced with metal plating. On his belt are a series of small pouches and capsules that contain basic supplies. Beneath his fatigues, he wears ultralight crystal-alloy body armor that is more than sufficient to defend against most melee attacks.

However, he often stands out wherever he goes because of the fact that he has no face. A mirrored silver mask completely obscures his features. Lacking even eyeholes, it’s smooth surface is broken only by the Greek character for his name, which is laser-etched in black upon it. The symbol is…disturbing, in a way that no one can accurately describe. The lines that define it seem to crawl and shift just slightly, but only when not focused on. When examined directly, the lines stabilize. Epsilon himself possesses a slightly disturbed aura that often unsettles those around him.

[History]:

Epsilon was raised on the planet of Gemynd, where he began to show signs of being psionically sensitive from a very young age. Toys he wanted had a habit of rolling towards him whether or not gravity agreed with them, and so on. Thus, it was no surprise when the routine psionic screening at age five declared that Epsilon was a budding Esper. What was surprising was the sheer power that Epsilon contained. Seeing his extreme potential as a military asset, he was taken from his family and sent to a government research facility to study and enhance his powers with the final goal of transforming him into a living weapon for the military. He was mind-wiped by the facility’s Espers, and he adopted his research designation as his new identity. Over the course of Epsilon’s fifteen years in the facility, he was augmented by genetic engineering experiments and tech implants which expanded his already formidable powers.

The fallout was harsh for the young Esper. Unable to control his unleashed psionic abilities, he was mentally scarred by the experiments and the visions he witnessed from his raw connection to the universe. He donned his mask as a dampener and developed iron self-control to protect himself from his own power. Eventually, he broke free from the brainwashing of the Gemyndi military and orchestrated an escape of the Espers from the facility. The attempt was a failure, and only Epsilon made it out alive. He stole a small craft and escaped after igniting the facility’s reactor and the entire compound was immolated as the Esper escaped into hyperspace. He has wandered the stars as a nomad for the last four years, searching for a purpose in his life.

[Skills and Abilities]:

Psionic Sight – Epsilon blocked out his normal sense of sight in response to psionically-triggered visions as a youth. He instead uses his mind to perceive his environment. This is unaffected by darkness, and since he is sensitive to sentinent minds, their position is easy to determine unless shielded from him. Combined with his telepathy, this makes hiding in Epsilon's vicinity difficult.

Psychoevocation – The ability to form weapons and armor from psionic energy. These ‘solid-energy’ objects behave as physical objects, but their cutting power/damage resistance is dependent on the amount of energy Epsilon uses to create them. Being composed of energy, their shape can be altered however he needs during the course of a battle.

Due to the energy required to create and sustain these objects, Epsilon is limited to only two psychoevocated objects of moderate size at the same time (example: upper-body armor, shield and a longsword, or lower-body armor and two weapons), if the the evocated objects are the equivalent of Damascus. At the strength of steel, Epsilon can create and sustain four such objects. Should Epsilon create smaller objects like throwing daggers, he is limited to six at a time.

Telekinesis – Moving objects with one’s mind. Simple. This is employed to throw his enemies about, remove himself from danger, and manipulate his environment (i.e. hurling rocks, etc.). However, he cannot lift more than his own weight at any one time.

Cyrokinesis - By robbing molecules of kinetic energy, Epsilon is able to generate areas of extreme cold. Dropping the temperature alone can cause severe injury given enough exposure, but Epsilon can take this further by creating ice. This ice can be summoned directly coating the opponent's body or can be formed into objects that he further manipulates with telekinesis.

Telepathy – mind-to-mind communication. This is used between Epsilon and his allies to communicate over large distance or to coordinate an attack without spoken words or hand signs that might be overheard.

[Equipment]:

Coercion - A slim metal pike about four feet long, tipped with a deadly spike-shaped blade. It’s forged from a psionically-conductive metal, so Epsilon can charge the blade with energy to increase its piercing power. This alloy is approximately as strong as steel, but lighter. The shaft is retractable, and can be uses as a focus for his psychoevocation.

Sentinel – An energy gun that fires a massively devastating blast of energy equivalent to a large magical fireball, dealing severe damage to unprotected opponents. However, it is slightly bulky and difficult to aim. Also, due to limitations in heat dissipation, Epsilon must wait a period of time [about 3 posts] before firing it again. Firing while overheated would result in the destruction of the weapon.

Combat Knife – an eight-inch knife made of the same psionically-conductive metal as Coercion. A good general-purpose tool as well as a capable secondary weapon.

Ataraxis
12-18-08, 10:56 PM
Hey there Ex, I'd like to welcome you to Althanas and the Tournament of Champions!

You've got a very interesting character here, and don't worry about the sci-fi: after all, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, which is used profusely here.

I've got a few qualms, and they're fairly touchy to resolve, but here goes (I apologize for the length):

Psychoevocation – I need to know the maximum strength of the items he can materialize. You see, the way it's described, it sounds like you could potentially create a weightless full-body armor of psychoenergy that's as strong as titanium, while making spikes grow out of every conceivable spot, and have them spin like titanium chainsaws. I would prefer it if the power could be limited as such:

Epsilon can only create and sustain two psychoevocated objects of moderate size at the same time (example: upper-body armor, shield and a longsword, or lower-body armor and two weapons), if the the evocated objects are the equivalent of Damascus. At the strength of steel, Epsilon can create and sustain 4 such objects. Should Epsilon create smaller objects like throwing daggers, then I trust you will not powergame and throw 20 of them at the same time.

Telekinesis – What I fear is that you will use telekinesis to control psychoevocated objects. Imagine Epsilon creating a dozen miniature, extremely sharp disks, and controlling them to sever all the veins of his opponents without them being to counterattack because the disks are so small. Moreover, including both pyrokinesis and cryokinesis in here seems to make it a tad too powerful. You would be able to generate an area of great temperature outside of an armor, and extremely low temperatures beneath, causing thermal shock that would destroy (or badly damage) both the armor and the wearer - at a distance.

Before proposing any changes, I would like to hear more about how you intend to use this telekinesis. If you intend to keep either pryo or cryokinesis, you will have to create a separate ability for it, in which you will describe its potency.

Lastly, Teleportation: it's an ability that can get a lot of abuse. However, some characters were approved with it, under certain limitations. Epsilon may use it only twice in a battle, and his accuracy is only mediocre at best. As such, he cannot teleport right behind an opponent, and will most likely be within 10-15 feet away. We'll also be watching if Epsilon actually does act drained after teleporting, when he fights.

Oh, and I'd like to know if Coercion and the combat knife are actual silver, which is incredibly weak. If they are, I'd like them to be no stronger than Dehlar when charged with psychoenergy.

Sentinel – It cannot disintegrate tank armor, because if he uses this against any of the characters here, it will most likely end with a gaping, fuming hole in their bodies. I understand that you want to use this to take care of the participants with greater defenses, and you made it hard to aim with a cooldown period, but I'll have to nerf the damage a bit. It has the equivalent power of a magical, focused fireball. It can't kill someone by disintegration or by piercing through, but the full brunt of the blast can severely incapacitate a person without the proper defenses. Also, the cooldown has to be three posts.

I know, I wrote a lot, but most of it was examples of how these abilities might be powergamed. I'd very much appreciate it if you could allay my concerns, and give out precisions where they are due.

Exspherius
12-19-08, 03:03 PM
Well, I'm glad that sci-fi is acceptable. I'd hate to have to roll up someone new. And as for the length, I'm appreciative that you took that much time to help me improve my character. Changes are as follows:

- I agree with your limits on Psychoevocation, and have adopted them.
- Coercion and the knife are not made of silver, only silver-colored. The alloy is similar in strength to steel, but lighter in weight.
- Sentinel is reduced to the suggested level. I forgot to tone it down from the Deathstalker gun that inspired it, my mistake.
- Teleportation has been eliminated, because that would be exceedingly difficult to manage without powergaming. I can easily live without it, and that saves us both the trouble.
- On the subject of Telekinesis, I would like to keep cyrokinesis, but I don't know what you'd be looking for limit-wise. Also, I honestly hadn't thought about nanoscale razors until you mentioned it. I had more in mind moving himself, force push-type attacks, and throwing around environmental objects. Is that sufficient?

Ataraxis
12-20-08, 01:20 AM
Sorry for the wait, and that's perfectly fine!

As for the limits, I won't impose any numbers on you. It's already very hard for ice magic users to describe how potent their spells are, so I'll leave it to you and your opponents to decide what's acceptable. Just, don't bring the universe to a sudden halt by lowering the temperature to absolute zero. If you use your cryokinesis to create ice blocks, and then your telekinesis to move them, that's fine. If you want to encase a person or a person's limb in ice, then as long as your opponent can choose how affected their character will be (such as dodging it fully, or being so damaged that they actually lose a limb to frostbite).

Oh, and he should be able to lift no more than his own weight at once using Telekinesis, so he won't be hurling gigantic boulders. Moving multiple, light objects is fine.

Other than that, everything's in order! Make those final adjustments and you'll be approved!

Exspherius
12-20-08, 07:51 PM
Done and done. Thanks for your assistance!

Ataraxis
12-20-08, 08:10 PM
Alrighty!

You are hereby approved!