PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation question

Nemaisare
12-20-08, 01:45 PM
Right, sorry if this's been answered before and all, but my half-hearted searching for the answer myself didn't turn it up and I thought it was easy enough to answer anyways. Heh... I'll try not to be so lazy in the future.

Anyway, the question is whether or not characters have to have a humanoid shape. Like, two legs, two arms, are more often than not bipedal and general don't have a tail, although that is apparently debatable. Or, is it okay if they just have a level of intelligence that comes approximately to the same average as that of most humans?

I'm asking because of the three charries I'm trying to decide between, two of them don't have the natural form of a human. They think a bit like humans, bt they aren't... So I was wondering if that would make my decision for me. lol

And, because I'm still being lazy... What, generally, are you looking for from the characters of this forum? Someone like, ummm..., okay, forget examples... Are you looking for those characters who tend to be the adventuresome type, good at fighting, brawling, being overall awesome and magical, or are you looking more for any charrie who can be changed and who would, hopefully, grow throughout the course of rping him/her?

And... Are gods allowed? (When limits apply and they couldn't godemode anyway?) Haven't gotten to anythign that talks about religions yet, so I wasn't sure if there were gods and such... My research is not yet complete! *Wanders of to continue it and the post am being distracted from...*

Thankees

Inkfinger
12-20-08, 01:50 PM
There have been swords, trees, seeds and teddy bears RP'd as here that I've seen (and I think I once heard something about a cupcake?), so I don't think shape really matters.

I don't think the mods look for anything in particular. My characters are a geeky guy who does all his magic with ink, I also have a straight-up, no-frills-no-magic knight, but there are assassins and wanderers and waitresses and librarians, so, again I don't think that really matters. :D

And I there are a couple of gods/goddesses/potential gods&goddesses/former goddesses running around as well....

I think the main point here is balance and beyond that anything goes.

Nemaisare
12-20-08, 01:56 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the fast reply, although I have to admit, I'm not sure it helped with my decision, but oh well... I'll get there eventually. lol

Rping a cupcake sounds like, ummm... Well, if I was rping one, I know I wouldn't last long in front of the computer, I'd be at the nearest bakery stuffing my face with cupcake. yepyepyepyepyepyep:):rolleyes:

Ataraxis
12-20-08, 05:31 PM
We also had a Salmon Wellington. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=561&highlight=wellington)

But yeah, your character can be of any nature or species as you want. We also had fallen gods or godlings, whose powers were adjusted to those of a level 0, so don't worry about creating that kind of character. I also know quite a number of characters on the path to Godhood, so you don't have to worry about whether or not it's allowed.

I'm also the writer for both the waitress and the librarian, so I can personally tell you that any type of character is fine. One's jaded and doesn't care about adventures, the other's life is dedicated to adventuring.

Basically, let your imagination run wild, since the only thing RoG mods might change is the power of your character.

Nemaisare
12-22-08, 08:18 AM
Hmm, okay. Thanks. Those are some interesting characters. lol And that certainly opens up a lot of options, but now of course, I've found another question.

Are all the characters originally from Althanas, or are they coming from different realms and just randomly poofing into existence on this world? Or something?

... I got confused reading some profiles... And trying to figure out how a god, when I'm not overly certain about the religions of this place, would come into being...

Taskmienster
12-22-08, 08:47 AM
And a goat and a giant talking otter...

Lol. Just wanted to add that in. Your answers have been well answered already though.

=)

Nemaisare
12-22-08, 08:55 AM
Hmm, yeah well, giant talking otters aren't all that strange. Okay, the talking part is, but the giant-ness really depends on the size, I mean, there are six-foot otters out there somewhere... In the amazon... lol But a goat, I like goats... Yepyepyepyepyep

But I did have a question that's not been answered yet! *wails and points to previous post* See see, it's all hidden in amongst the other words, but it's there, I'm sure of it. lol

Taskmienster
12-22-08, 09:28 AM
Oh my, I missed it. Lol. No, not all characters are from Althanas. Mine for example is actually a hacker that lives in the year 2010 and Althanas is a Virtual Reality game that he plays in... Of course, it's a very strange concept, but there are others that aren't from Althanas.

Ter Thok (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=2722) for example is a demon from outer space... and there are plenty others, though the vast majority do, in some way, come from Althanas.

Oh, and another of my characters is not from Althanas as well... Garwocket (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=4697&highlight=Garwocket) is an imp from Earth that got put on Althanas by the god of neutrality and whatnot. haha, so hope that helps.

Also, to answer your question about the gods. On Althanas we have a player created canon of gods called the "Thayne". There is a very rich history in the gods that were created, one of my characters is very into following the Thayne, and we have a powergroup that was (at one point) dedicated to them and kinda still is.

The info for them can be found here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=294)

Nemaisare
12-22-08, 09:42 AM
Oooh, now that is an grand answer. Teehee, thankees, and just what I was looking for. My searching skills apparently need work. Anyways, I'll go investigate this info you have given me. Ta!

Nemaisare
12-22-08, 01:19 PM
Right, well, I read that stuffs and now would like to know, a question I probably ought to have asked earlier... Would it be alright to make a 'son' of one of these Elder Thayne Deities? Or should I just make some other gods up from a different world and bring my god in from there?

Kially Gaith
12-22-08, 02:34 PM
We also had a giant dancing and talking elephant, that if I remember correctly, actually won a tournament.

Taskmienster
12-22-08, 02:43 PM
Ranger and Chumley (said talking elephant) came in second place in the LCC... by .5 points. I was pissed. Beat by Thoracis and Dirks. haha

Sadiel Ketsueki
12-22-08, 02:47 PM
(Eh...Lolz, I'd wish that my oponents were all muffins.... That would actually come in handy, think about it, both RP and food at the same time. And yeah, I felt like I had to add that in @_@ Lolz.)

And yeah, I don't think shape should matter either way, since you must remember that this is RP and your imagination is what counts. By the way I have a friend known as "Konseigo", the guy can desintegrate himself into substances and eat out the flesh of his oponents just like if he were a Flesh-eating virus. Just be original and use your imagination. ^_^

Nemaisare
12-22-08, 03:02 PM
Dude, an elephant is awesome! And yes, awesome is my new word, as is dude, I blame Finding Nemo. lol These are all very original ideas, very, very original ideas, and mine now seems less so, but then, I suppose gods aren't actually all that rare when you think about it. But there aren't many gods who are dogs out there, so I'll give myself points for that! (and nobody burst my bubble by saying it's already been done... :P ) Thanks guys, your input has certainly made me able to decide where to go with my charries, but now I feel badly because I've decided which one and the other isn't gonna get played... He's going to hurt me, sneakily, in the middle of the night sometime... Yeah. *meep* lol

Kially Gaith
12-22-08, 07:54 PM
Dude, an elephant is awesome! And yes, awesome is my new word, as is dude, I blame Finding Nemo. lol These are all very original ideas, very, very original ideas, and mine now seems less so, but then, I suppose gods aren't actually all that rare when you think about it. But there aren't many gods who are dogs out there, so I'll give myself points for that! (and nobody burst my bubble by saying it's already been done... :P ) Thanks guys, your input has certainly made me able to decide where to go with my charries, but now I feel badly because I've decided which one and the other isn't gonna get played... He's going to hurt me, sneakily, in the middle of the night sometime... Yeah. *meep* lol

You'll find it rather amusing that a 'dude' is actually a camels foreskin. *Shrug.*

Oh, and that 'Nemo' is latin for 'Nobody'. Finding Nobody. Imaginative name, huh?

Rebellion
12-22-08, 11:51 PM
We also had a Salmon Wellington. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=561&highlight=wellington)
Sonofabitch. I wanted to mention the Salmon. D:
As you have heard, it doesn't really matter what in Dr. Seuss's name your character, as long as it/she/he/pants cant blow up the world at level zero. In fact, more creativity is preferable. I would love to see a flying munchkin on of these days, but thats just me, unfortunately.
Lets go off to see the wizard before the Good Witch gets on her period and slaughters us all.

Lacchi
12-23-08, 10:38 AM
Wizard of Oz is strange. *nods* yepyepyepyepyep

Are you serious? Because if so, I'll have even more fun saying 'dude', just because... And that makes Finding Nemo all the better. lol

Oh, and is Nemaisare, just so yah know...

Kially Gaith
12-23-08, 01:15 PM
Yes. It is true. Google it.

Lacchi
12-23-08, 01:53 PM
Right, that is more than amusing, that is absolutely hilarious. Really, truly funny. Duuuuuude... lol I'll get over the humour eventually, I'm sure. But tell me, how did you discover this? o_o

Kially Gaith
12-23-08, 02:08 PM
Right, that is more than amusing, that is absolutely hilarious. Really, truly funny. Duuuuuude... lol I'll get over the humour eventually, I'm sure. But tell me, how did you discover this? o_o

I have no life.

Lacchi
12-23-08, 02:37 PM
Well, that explains everything. Except what you're doing able to type on a keyboard... *legasp* Are you haunting some poor person and scaring them half to death with the sound of typing during the night? >_><_< Wait a minute, that's not really scary at all...

Nvm, I'm bored... Say, in keeping with this thread's subject... How did you come up with your character concept?

Rebellion
01-05-09, 02:51 PM
I have a friend...
...who is a red head...
...who kicks ass.
The end.