PDA

View Full Version : Age on Althanas

Arawn
07-10-06, 02:28 PM
This week's poll question is painfully simple, but the discussion is a bit more complex.

First, we want to see the age variation amongst our writers. Poll in your age at the present moment, not a few months from now. Secondly, we'd like to ask you all a question. Answer as it applies to this forum, not in general.

Is age linked to RP skill on Althanas and, if so, to what degree?

grim137
07-10-06, 02:58 PM
I think age is somewhat linked to RP skill though not completely. Obviously a 22 year old is going to have more developed ideas than a 13 year old (for the most part) and might have more experiance writting (depending on a variety of factors). On the other hand I've seen adults (or close to it) come here because they managed to get into RPing but have no real experiance and are thus less skilled than several considerably younger members.

Horizon's End
07-10-06, 03:11 PM
I feel age is, on average, positively correlated to skill. Newer writers have had less time to perfect their style, have read less, and are less mature (again, on average). Also older writers will handle criticism and suggestions better, for the most part, and will be more likely to follow the general style of Althanas by looking at other people's posts and less likely to continue writing without an improvement. If you're one of these younger writers I don't necessarily mean you, or you, or you; it's a generalization based on the majority of cases I recall, as always there are exceptions to both sides of the argument.

Komosatuo
07-10-06, 04:15 PM
I would have to aggree with Grim and Horizon on the fact that with age, comes a greater understanding of the world around us, as well as a deeper pool of wisdom, creativity and intelligence. Normally this would also involve spelling, but hell, we're all human. :p

Cyrus the virus
07-10-06, 05:54 PM
I'm 20. Gah.

Of course, age ties in with wisdom and experience, and generally people who are 20 are more skilled in intillectual areas than a 16 year old. That's four years of learning advanced techniques that a younger person likely doesn't have.

Slayer of the Rot
07-10-06, 06:06 PM
19. I'm still rather strapping.

Vampiric Angel
07-10-06, 07:43 PM
I'm 17. I've been RPing since I was 14 and have been writing since I was 11. When I go to look back at the previous things I've written and RPed, I just have to say, 'What the hell was I thinking?' My way of thinking is that, while we try to put our imagination and ideas to words, the older we get the more we understand the ideas we had and therefore the quality of our writing grows. So it's not that older people in their 20's have better ideas, it's that their ideas are more complex and easier to flesh out.

Sighter Tnailog
07-10-06, 08:35 PM

I'd say that the question is not your years of life as much as it is your years of writing. And, following that, I'd say the question is also your experience roleplaying. I don't think "years roleplaying" makes any difference, but more just knowing the basics...I've seen excellent writers who couldn't roleplay worth shit during their first month, but once they got the hang of it they got better almost instantly. So I think years of writing, plus a smattering of roleplaying experiences, makes for a great combination.

The Bard
07-10-06, 08:37 PM
Im 14 and have been on althanas since I was 9 but didnt start RPing till I was 13, I have been here a long time and still am not a good...er...well talented RPer.

Empyrean
07-10-06, 08:47 PM

Everyone has already said most of what I had in mind, but I really think that even though I agree with the generality that older roleplayers tend to be better writers, it really depends on the person. I've known fourteen-year-olds who write like they've been writing for forty years, and I've known much older writers whose stories made me cringe from the grammar and what not.

So all in all, I think that age has a lot to do with it, but so does the person's strength in the creative area.

Modrue
07-10-06, 08:49 PM
I'm 18, almost 19... and I think that Althanas for me wasn't a place to work on creative writing, at first. Now it's more of a release, but I've been on here for over 3 1/2 years, and I've seen a significant jump in my essays for school and college... I think this is actually what helped me get to the top of my english class.

I do believe Fin hit it on the head. Years of writing experience has a lot more to do with writing then age... However, I also believe it has a lot to do with personal growth and how well you can pick up writing. I joined at the same time as Unseen (Josh) and he got a JC and became a mod almost a year and a half before I did. His writing and mine were both on par to begin with, but he quickly picked it up while I very slowly learned (still am for the most part).

At the same time, Ciancth (Robin) was the one that invited me and him one day at school. She had been rping on Althanas since the IW or whatever, and had been rping before Althanas on other sites. She was a talented writer before me and Josh could even pretend we knew what was happening with creative writing. Lol.

EDIT: Oh, and Mattias is another example. He was a very good writer, or at least I thought so, but he was much younger... I believe he was 14 when he was actually interested in Althanas...

Artifex Felicis
07-10-06, 08:51 PM
I'm 16 or so, last I checked anyway.

As for how it works, it really depends on how well you can work. Age helps in some respects, like when I first joined I was PROUD I got a 29 on my second quest. It's more consistent expereance really that'll get people good. Still, I find it's better to haver fun than to scrutinize over every post and whatnot.

streak101
07-10-06, 09:43 PM
Ima 13 and proud of it, you guys are so old. lol

I cant say much because i havent had a quest completed but my first battle did score a 28 ><. Anyway, I think age does have something to do with it but very little. I mean yes the maturity of the person does matter when taking comments seriously, but thats really the only thing it matters in. I say most of it is the imagination, and creativity of the writer. Someone without much of either of those(I can name one) can achieve a smaller score than someone with alot of it, and they might be ages apart.

Yet now that i think about it, age might come into factor with determining whether someone would write something a child could come up with or to type something intriguing or more er...intelligent? Again maturity comes into factor...I need to organize my thoughts.

But i do know that since I started RPing(which to tell you the truth hasn't been very long) I've been working alot harder on my writing assignments. Hell, I went from a D to an A!

Letho
07-10-06, 10:00 PM
Streak, dude, if I like smoked, I could send you to buy me some matches. And some beer. NOW! :P

I'm 24 and I too agree with what was mostly said already. I regretfully started to rp only a bit more then two years ago and even though I wrote some stuff on my own, Althanas was the place where I really started writing, started to see how much I really suck and how I should improve. The age does help in rping mostly because of the mentioned experience, but it also helps a person get into the character easier. I mean, somebody who is 15 will certainly have some trouble rping a 30 year old veteran even if he is indeed a good writer, because it's harder to be the character. On the other hand, if you're 20, you'll be able to play a 14 year old boy because you experienced that age once upon a time.

I'm just writing stuff here because I'm bored.

EDIT: You bastards are making me feel so old, my fingers are starting to get arthritic.

aesculus
07-10-06, 10:19 PM
Hmm.. let me check my birth certificate... oh there it is! 17 =] and still completely bad at spelling and grammar (ask Eleazar he knows how bad)!

I agree -if it hasn't been said a milliom times by now- the skill on here does develop with age.

You bastards are making me feel so old, my fingers are starting to get arthritic.

Nooo! Don't feel old!

Think about it this way you (and anyone else who feels that they are old) can totally cream the younger people when it comes down to writing, because you know how to. You have better brains!

The Bard
07-10-06, 10:20 PM
Wasnt there a saying that the younger you are the more imagintion you had? but it seems older people have more but just dont put it to use like kids do for example by having fake sword fights with sticks.

aesculus
07-10-06, 10:34 PM
Wasnt there a saying that the younger you are the more imagintion you had? but it seems older people have more but just dont put it to use like kids do for example by having fake sword fights with sticks.

I still do that! Er... with my brother... and some friends...

Letho
07-10-06, 10:47 PM
Wasnt there a saying that the younger you are the more imagintion you had?I nurture my inner child and hide it from the times when The Valkyrie wants to murder it in cold blood.

Jasmine
07-10-06, 11:23 PM

For the most part, I agree with the notion that age breeds experiene and experience better writing. However there are exceptions. I personally know a 23 year old that can be out written by a 10 year old. The difference? The 10 year old actually learned his grammar and spelling rules, the 23 year old didn't. Aside from things like spelling and simple grammar, I think the biggest factor would be experience writing creatively. For some people (like me) there is a HUGE difference between writing creatively and writing in any other way. Those with a well used/fine-tuned imagination will likely have an easier time RPing than someone who doesn't use their imagination very much.

Oh and Letho.... you're OLD!!!

just kidding... you're not old...dun let these kiddies get ya down ;)

Elrundir
07-10-06, 11:54 PM

I figure there's no sense in recapping what's already been said since I pretty much agree with all of it. Age is a factor, but not the factor. I'd say experience has more to do with it than anything. I started RPing about 6 or 7 years ago, and lemme tell you, I was absolutely terrible. Meanwhile there are 13 year olds on this site who are pretty good, if not incredible. Age is just one of the many factors that corresponds to writing ability.

Ozmodious
07-10-06, 11:55 PM
17 in four days.

Eh, I think age and writing corrolate but on a loose basis. Age can help a writer in the areas of experience, character, and maturity. . but you can't really base a person's writing ability with the year they were born. That'd be like comparing oranges to really, really old bananas. . and thats never good.

Anyway, a lot of its been said and just like any other argument where our differences and perspective come into check I'd like to point you to the things not to say:

Impossible
Never

Ashiakin
07-11-06, 12:52 AM
I'm nineteen. Since age is tied in with general intelligence levels and whatnot, people who are older are generally going to be better writers. But I've been on this site a long time and I've seen some fifteen and sixteen year olds that write better than some people who are twenty and older. So a lot of it is individual skill.

Dissinger
07-11-06, 01:21 AM
I feel age has nothing to do with Skill. Everyone can suck form the beginning. Age is only a number.

Me belief is that time spent writing has to do with skill, and that over time you grow better and become a more ample writer.

Storm Veritas
07-11-06, 05:32 AM

With age comes experience, and naturally everyone has the potential to improve as they get older.

I'm not a better writer at 26 than some people here in their late teens and early twenties, but I'm a much better writer than I was in my early 20's.

Joshua
07-11-06, 09:47 AM
Yay, lots of fellow 17-year-olds.

I believe that age only contributes to one's vocabulary and ideas to put into their RPs. Since the old seasoned folk have seen more things, they have experienced more things in life, and can bring more of these ideas into their writing. Other than that, I agree with Pat. Actual skill comes from the individual and their experience with RPing.

I've been on Althanas for around 2 years, amazing, but most of that time was spent... away. But I've improved, yay. Reading back to my first battle I was kinda like.. WTF? >_>

Serilliant
07-11-06, 09:50 AM
21. And hung over.

It's always been my belief that a writer is as good as how long he or she has been writing. I think this is why we tend to believe that older writers are more talented than younger writers; they simply have been doing it for longer. Likewise, it's perfectly possible to find a 17-year-old who has been writing for 3 years and has more talent than a 22-year-old who has been writing for 1. It's all relative.

streak101
07-11-06, 09:53 AM
*looks at this page's posts* Bah! right when i sort my mind out...

What they said

Abenaki
07-11-06, 11:09 AM

I agree with the idea that age is a factor in how well someone writes, but that it is certainly not THE factor in determining how well a person writes. THE factor, as has already been said, is in how long someone has been writing, or even better, how serious they are about writing. People who love what they do, and want to improve at what they love, will generally improve far more rapidly than those who do something only as a past-time. Again, that's just a generalization, but you get the idea...

One other thing I'd like to point out, from my own experiences, is that younger writers tend to incorporate whatever flights of fancy they are infatuated with at the time. I know that my writing jumped around quite a lot when I was a younger person with constantly shifting likes and dislikes as I tried to find myself. I think that once you become a bit older, and settle into your own style a bit more, your ideas as a writer become more focused, and allow for you to (warning, another generalization) create deeper, more fleshed out characters and plot ideas.

Falcon Darkflight
07-11-06, 11:11 AM
XX years. In Roman numerals for the benefit of our ancestors.

Gadgeteer Mikami
07-11-06, 12:54 PM
19 and counting, though most the lil kids in Master Raven's head are mostly just finishing their own teen years.

Murakama: I HEARD that!

*ahem* Age is one factor, but the duration you have written novels or anything in a creative fashion is also important. Living in a land where English skills is considered a gift doesn't help Master Raven one bit. He's been complaining about not being able to speak to his friends without getting funny looks everyday.

...I miss America...

Kaiser
07-11-06, 02:31 PM

... for the benifit of our ancestors?

Falcy ... i can only read numerals up to 13

Tarn Isazu
07-11-06, 10:19 PM
yeah...I can't write that well, but i have a good imagination. The way you write can make the difference. For a XVII year old, I think I'm pretty ok.

Vampiric Angel
07-12-06, 01:05 AM

... for the benifit of our ancestors?

Falcy ... i can only read numerals up to 13

He's 20...and Tarn's 27. Luckily, I CAN read roman numerals.

Izvilvin
07-12-06, 01:09 AM
...No you can't. Tarn is 17 =/

X = 10.

Vampiric Angel
07-12-06, 01:14 AM
UGH! Yea, I got that mixed up. First glance though, I could have sworn I read 27. Yeesh.

Gadgeteer Mikami
07-12-06, 09:08 AM
Roman numerals are a headache to read. That's why we now use Arabic numbers instead.

Tarn Isazu
07-12-06, 10:53 AM
sorry about that >.<
after i read everyone else's i decided to put mine in numerals.

The Puppet
07-16-06, 05:32 PM
I accidently put 18. I am really 19.

Dead
08-08-06, 11:44 PM

I think that how long you have been RPing, how much fantasy/scifi you've read, and how into the character you're writing for affects your writing much more than anything else. I started RPing when I was 13, and sucked horribly. Even now, stuff I wrote a few months ago is disgusting.

I totally agree with whoever said it; younger people can become enamoured with ideas or things and are much more whimsical (as in prone to fads and whims...not what whimsical is usually used as) with their writing. HOWEVER, this can definately help them in their writing. During the time I wrote for Nikoladze, I was totally into Russia and such, so it really helped me to get into character, and I did rather well with him (I think).

Maturity is not correlated to age at all, from what I've seen. My dad and his friends are total shitheads and act like dumb little kids all the time, but I have friends who are younger than me and act like they're in their 20s.

Imagination, in my opinion dies during the transition to a teen. What MIGHT be confused with imagination in older people is rather a pool of ideas they've accquired over their life and/or read and are drawing upon and mixing to make something original.

Lastly, I appologize if anything didnt make sense. I'm listening to punk rock in spanish, and it's really not helping me get together my ideas in english since half the time I'm trying to make out the words with my basic spanish skills and vocab.

DarkStrike
08-09-06, 01:38 PM

I have to say that, after a certain age, it doesn't matter, I think you have to have a certain level of vocab under your belt, and since I 've always had a larger vocab, I could have been ready for Rping at like 12.

and Streak101 or something like that is only like 13 right, but is amazingly good.

After you have a certain level of grammar and vocab, it really doesn't matter.

Letho
08-09-06, 02:20 PM
After you have a certain level of grammar and vocab, it really doesn't matter.I have to disagree. Grammar and vocabulary are important, but if they are the only thing you have a grasp over, all you're really good at is writing manuals for household appliances. It takes a while to sharpen your skills and make them applicable in writing fiction and that is a process that never ends. You can amass big words in perfectly formed sentences, but to make that pile readable and enjoyable for the reader, it takes practice. A lot of it.

Chidori Draconid
08-09-06, 02:49 PM
XX or 20
Soon to be 21.
I have to agree with Letho, but I have a hard time distinguishing different styles from one another. I just see aspects of writing in levels. Extremely descriptive to not descriptive at all. Lots of character to no character at all. That's why I'm going back and reading some of the literature that I SparkNoted through in high school, like the Count of Monte Cristo and Ender's Game, so I can hopefully start to develop a distinctive style. If there are any recommendations let me know guys. I'll put something like this up in RPC as well.

Ectonis
08-09-06, 06:11 PM
I'm only 16, and I agree completely with you guys. Age brings better writing. You can throw in a few experiences that I don't have, cover some points I wouldn't think of. And if you get people that are too young, they start to make their character a little unrealistic. Dodge....dodge....dodge....massive attack, and so on.

hamnat
08-13-06, 01:08 PM
Im age 15, and I believe that RP writing is influenced by age, but not directly. As you get older, you have more wordly experience and as such, you become more able to tell stories or explain things in better detail. HOWEVER, if the elder has not a creative mind(very bland detailed stories), and the "youngin" has an artistically-inclined mind(not quite as detailed, but interesting), the youth would be better able to write RP because of his or her creativity(interesting is better for propaganda than detailed)

Alberdyne_Cormyr
08-14-06, 10:55 AM
I'm 28.

I'm definitely one of the older cats in the group, I think that I've always been one of the older cats.

I only know of a couple of dudes that are like in their thirties.

Just to give you guys a taste of my background I been writing/drawing since I was around 3 (Is when I started drawing) and around 5ish (As soon as I learned to write I was writing stuff pretty much) I was a bit of a child prodigy when it came to linguistics and art.

Developing your style and verse to me is what makes writing such a great hobby, no two styles of writing are ever completely alike.

Alearto
11-13-06, 11:27 PM
I'm 19 m'self, and started roleplaying on the Allrpg forums oh... about seven years ago, give or take a few months. I agree that generally speaking, age means more experience and (hopefully) better writing. If nothing else, I know that this was the case for me. Looking back at my very first RP character, who I remember with fondness, I see good elements and good ideas which weren't necessarily well presented. There are definitely some things I would change, given the opportunity, both for the sake of originality and for realism (for instance, at any given moment he was carrying two swords, an axe, a shield, a dagger, a crossbow, and wearing a full suit of armor. He was a big guy, but there's a limit to how much one can be expected to carry).

And then the more subtle things like balancing (power) and developing a character with a distinctive personality. Several of my early characters ended up being little more than carbon copies of myself, as far as personality was concerned. Oh, I wrote about it differently in their respective profiles, but their reactions were invariably the very thing I would have said or done were I in the same situation.

At this point I've been out of the roleplaying loop for a while (with the exception of an off-and-on stint on Imperian (http://www.imperian.com) for about a year, which was a bit different) but I like to think that I've at least improved in those areas.

Atzar
11-14-06, 12:32 PM

I dunno, I'd say age really doesn't have an effect on writing skill. Education does, to be sure (you can't write very well if you have no control of grammar and mechanics), but age... nah. I've seen 16 year-olds that can write people in their 20's into the dirt. It's rare, yes, but it happens often enough to make me think that age isn't really much of a factor.

Experience, creativity, mechanics, and technique make the writing. It may mature with age, but I don't think it's necessarily a rule that younger writers are in any way inferior writers.

MaxBlade
11-15-06, 01:57 PM
It may mature with age, but I don't think it's necessarily a rule that younger writers are in any way inferior writers.

I'm pretty young seventeen to be exact and my RPing is improving as it goes along, so I'm sure that Writing as you say Matrues with age, everything does if you stick to it. When I was twelve I was the best piano player in my church and a lot of places now I'm seventeen and my skills in piano playing have definetly "Matured". So I say writing matures with age but better writing does not come with age (especially for those who don't like to write).

Vamrsh Skylare
11-29-06, 01:31 PM
I think RP has to do with age because the older you are the more knowledge you have of the world and usually a better vocabulary. But then again there are smarter, younger kids around now a-days, and they could RP as well especially if they have matured faster, mentally.

Lord_Byron
12-16-06, 04:20 PM
I started to r-play when I was 10 in my dad's fantasy wrestling league. After doing it for three years... I was better than most people at that age... So it all depends on when you start, and how long you've been doing it. I think activity and desire matters more in an rpg of any sort rather than age. Age has always simply been a number to me.

Kyrie Phra Davara
02-13-07, 12:19 PM
XX, heh ^^

I've been roleplaying for 6-8 years. I still think I'm a horrible writer. But I'm always improving :)

I think it's more about the story than the battles. If it's good enough to read and enjoy, without trying too hard to grasp the concept, I like it. :)

The problem is I have fairly limited access to the internet...only tuesdays and thursdays at the moment, so yeah...blah. -_-

Ataraxis
02-13-07, 06:40 PM
Counting down the days until I can legally drink, huzzah! Though where I live, it's not a a law as much as it is a general guideline.

So yeah, seventeen and going on four years of writing, on and off. I was much better when I was fifteen, though. Falling down that elevator shaft really did me a disservice. <3

Although I agree age is a factor, I don't agree that it has as much of an impact as, say, commitment. As long as you have a bit of imagination and a basic grasp of whatever language you wish to write in, then a thirteen year old and a thirty year old can be equally abysmal, just as they can both be exceptionall.

Age encompasses many factors, though, since age gives anyone more time to read, write and learn, to develop a critical mind and improve both abstract and concrete thought. You also generally have a greater pool of knowledge to draw from and a more expansive outlook on life. Commitment, however, can be utterly lacking in a forty year old who'll just sit around, mourning projects that aren't even dead yet, and you can see a five year old going through rehab with every ounce of his strength. With a bit of luck (to, let's say, get introduced to whatever field interests you) and a good level of constant commitment, then you can possibly tie in with someone twice your age. Then again, if that person has been committed to the same field for twice as long as you have, chances are you still have ways to go.

If all other factors are constant, then age is indeed directly proportional to one's writing prowess. However, since all other factors aren't, writing becomes a case by case story.

Personally, how much booze I have in my blood determines the quality of my writing. It's as simple as that! <3 It also determines the chances of my waking up with a stranger. And a major venereal rash.

WARTS! Up my hiney.

Dante
02-13-07, 10:11 PM
I first rp'ed here when I was 12. On a friend's account, actually.

I think age definately has something to do with writing skill because if you are older then you probably have more experience and maturity to use.

Dvlrockin
02-14-07, 07:48 AM
18 here as well and I must say that yes, to an extent the older you are the more likely you are to be able to RP better. Sure, one must factor in what the individual has gone through, what their interests are, and many things of that nature but when it comes down to it in the bitter end, if someone 22 is on here, he/she has a good 4 years head start on me, so I do expect them to end up RPing better than me.

With that being said, I would like to see more of the younger writes learn from people older than themselves, or even those of their own age with very good writing skills.

As mentioned earlier, young writers are less likely to take criticism constructively when compared with an older writer, but this is something that they must learn because it's going to be there no matter where you go. Nobody is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement.

That about sums up what I have to say.

Foresaken By War
02-14-07, 08:08 AM
No, but Education and Reading Level are. If you are a young person that is very smart and reads at a college and above level you will write well. If you are a college or highschool student that has taken writing intensive courses and knows the ins and outs of writing style you will write better.

Purely my thoughts... its debateable.

Sir Fedlund Overby
02-15-07, 11:43 PM
Thank goodness for Storm and Alberdyne_Cormyr. I just barely squeak in as not the oldest of the old at 24.

Here is one way to look at it. In terms of academic writing, I would guess I am probably one of best on this site. I just scored a perfect 6 on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), which put me in the top 2% of prospective graduate students taking the exam. Techincally, I am a very good writer because I have had a ton of experience writing with a high level of academic standards.

However, this does not translate into good CREATIVE writing. I am pretty poor when it comes to character development and my writing tends to feel a bit dry and stagnant, like I am writing research paper on the theory of intergenerational value shift rather than about a person. Certainly being older and more experienced can contribute a great deal to a writers ability in terms of mechanics, but being able to write creatively is more based on experience I think. With all my academic writing, I have only been RPing for a short while. I started when I was 18, but that only lasted for a school year before I lost my internet connection and other stuff happened. Now I am making my comeback and I am technically better, but creatively I am probably worse now than I was at the end of my last stint here.

Also, I write really fast, which means my posts tend to end longer than they should be. Kind of like this one. (Which is a sentence fragment, but that is ok)

Nein
02-16-07, 10:42 AM
I know one particular lass on another site that could write me, and perhaps a good number of others here too, under a table. She's several years younger, around 15 or 16, but has an amazing vocabulary and knows how to utilize it quite well.

I must admit though, it's rather frustrating when I can't write and I see her posts.

Oh, and 18 here, without about 4 years of writing on and off.

Ataraxis, Quebec or Alberta? Unless I've got the wrong continent completely... xD

Darkness Impulse
02-16-07, 07:44 PM
I definitely think that age has a lot to do with a person's writing ability. First thing being: Education. If you're only 12 you'll have little development in the english department in school, not really effecting creativeness but more the grammar and techniques. You're more likely to see a 20 year old use correct grammar and several unique literary elements rather than a 14 year old. But it also has to do with experience... I'm only 16 and (if I may say so myself) am a fantastic writer compared with the people around me - in reality. That's probably because i've been doing this for a long time, since I was like 10.

So yes, I think age has a direct relationship with skill. Experience is just a plus, but a 14 year old just starting their role playing career won't be as good as an 18 year old starting. It's just natural.

Dineia
02-23-07, 08:19 PM
19 (Basically 20)

I honestly don't think it is how old you are that effects your writing but rather how long you have been writing. You could be my age but only started writing a few years ago. Or you could be my age and have been writing since you were like eight and be ten times better. Also it kinda depends on your passion in writing...I have always liked to write so I read to gain advice on how to write which is where I get my writing experience. There is a slight dependence on age but that goes with maturity as well...yeah...that is what I think.

Reiko
02-23-07, 08:27 PM
23 going to be 24 in two month.

I think the older I get the more immature my RPing gets or something like that^^

Actually no, I guess time will have an effect but I don't think age makes you good, I'd be getting better scores or something like that.

Nephilium
02-24-07, 08:04 PM
I'm 23.

Age is most assuredly linked to writing skill, but at the same time so does education, confidence and familiarity with writing more than a simple letter to a friend or family member.

Letho
02-26-07, 07:22 AM
Yay for more more older people. All these younglings made me feel terribly old.

Dissinger
02-26-07, 04:06 PM
I turn twenty three in August.

Seeing all the sixteen year olds makes me want to slit my wrists. Then again I've laways been emo like that, ask Lucien...

Lucien
02-26-07, 04:08 PM
You taught me what emo was, dear Dissinger. For you are the master, He who controls Hawthorne Heights and all its splendor.

Alice_Izzy
11-13-08, 09:41 AM
I'm 18! (yay me!!) lol But i've been rping forever, since i was about 12ish. And being a good rper really does depend on how experienced a writer you are and if you get the concept of rping. I'm still getting the hang of it and i probably always will be. That's just how it works. *sigh*

Uukan Kimari
11-13-08, 10:57 AM

I'm old.

Rith
11-13-08, 05:09 PM
I'm 18, I've written things and I try to write to the best of my ability as always but I still have a lot to learn. I do think I'm a little above the average writer for my age but I'm not a writer and I merely am doing this for fun but in general I hate almost everything to do with books, words and reading because well just cannot find things that interest me. Though when I do find that book that sucks me in, I usually have it finished within a week. Other than that, teachers are told they must force the "great novels of our time" down our throat and I for one have yet to enjoy one of those.

Sorahn
11-13-08, 06:24 PM
wow this thread is so old my answer has already changed twice. About to be three times.

Attack of the Zombie Thread!

srsly... voted when I was 18, now I'm 20... 21 beginning of December. <.<

Saxon
11-13-08, 06:41 PM
Yeah! The polls should really roll over the answer year after year to follow the percentages of people and give a more accurate picture of the demographic of people here. =P

I Am Zee
11-13-08, 07:42 PM
Yeah...19 now. not sure if ive voted before.

BuzzSaw22
11-13-08, 08:40 PM
17 now ... 18 in 8 days >.< so i clicked 18

Bloodrose
11-13-08, 11:49 PM

2 years since the last time I posted in this thread.

Menagerie of Voices
11-23-08, 02:20 AM
24, but going to be 25 in.............almost a month now. Whoa, time flies. I can safely say YES to all the above threads - experience that comes with age does in fact help you to write; but it also slows down the awesome ideas you had when you were younger...

Unless you're like me with a very loud inner child who keeps whispering all these ideas in your ears and demanding candy. Goddamn, now I want candy. WAAHH!

Death The Kid
11-23-08, 03:34 PM
Yay for 17, still got a while till I'm 18.