PDA

View Full Version : Employment in Scara Brae

Christoph
01-16-09, 11:38 PM
Employment in Scara Brae
Whether the constable or sheriff seeking honest, upstanding citizens to help keep order in the streets, or vile pirates or criminals from the underbelly of Scara Brae seeking scoundrels to further their plans, the island of Scara Brae is full of opportunity. These missions are a great way to earn larger spoils than a regular quest. It also allows new players a chance to impact the canon of the region, if their quests and battles are well written.

Sequel Missions: Some missions lead to other missions that provide even more opportunities to reap rewards and leave a mark on the story of Scara Brae. Upon completion of an original mission that offers a Sequel, post the link to the quest here, along with a brief outline of the thread, and I will provide the description the next mission.

All completed sequels receive a 20% bonus in EXP, as well as other rewards depending on the quality of the thread. Some also lead to additional Sequels or Boss Battles, and these subsequent threads gain an additional 10% EXP bonus above their regular bonuses.

Boss Battles: Some missions have “boss battles” linked to them, which get unlocked after successfully completing the mission. These are essentially climatic finishes to strings of missions. Upon completion, post a link to the completed quest or battle, along with a brief outline of the thread, and I will provide you with the boss battle description. The players are responsible for running the boss battle thread and can either roleplay the “boss” themselves or recruit someone else.

All completed boss battles receive a 30% EXP bonus, as well as other rewards depending on the quality of the thread

Notes: Missions labeled “Quest or Battle” can be done as a standard quest as per the mission description or can be done as a battle, with one side battling to complete the mission and another player or team as the opposition or the representative of one of the other mentioned factions.

Title: A Lesson He’ll Never Forget
Description: Recently, two counts in Queen Valeena’s court got into a serious argument in which both contenders were personally affronted. Count Burock, the more honorable of the two, challenged his adversary, Count Sorthus, to a non-lethal duel. Burock won the fight easily, but the bad blood on Sorthus’s side has not been erased. He wants revenge, but he wants Burock to live to feel the pain. Instead of going directly after the count, Sorthus is willing to pay a large sum of money for the murder of Burock’s family: his wife and two sons. He would prefer that the killing be done as violently and publicly as possible. While he already has men working behind the scenes to prevent charges in court against himself or his hit-man, it is nearly guaranteed that some evasion of the police will be necessary immediately after the crime.
Conditions: Battle or Quest – 2 to 4 players.
Rewards: ??? (Players’ choice, subject to Judge approval)
Unlockable: Sequel Mission

Title: Hooligan’s Revival – The Sea
Description: In the past, Hooligan’s Grotto was dormant. Now, however, a ship with black sails has been spotted moving in and out of the coast. A new corsair captain, Gurtz Danager, is requesting aid in a couple of forms. In this mission, he needs a messenger. The job involves tracking down other captains of pirate fleets in the general area, convincing them to join under his banner. His coffers are rather large, and gold will be awarded for every captain that joins his cause. It would not, however, be a good idea to report a complete failure; Gurtz is rumored to have a somewhat volatile temper.
Conditions: Quest only – 2 to 4 players.
Rewards: 200 GP, plus potentially an additional 200 for each additional pirate captain brought into the fold (Judge’s discretion)

Title: Breakout!
Description: A respected member of the Scara Scourge has been caught in illegal trade and thrown in jail. The man, referred to only as “Toolbox,” was vital to the gang because of his unexplained ability to receive shipments of nearly anything for a low price. The gang’s elites are searching for anybody daring enough to risk breaking him out of his prison. A bonus would surely be awarded for diverting any suspicion that might be placed on the gang.
Rewards: Gold + ??? (Players’ choice, subject to Judge approval)
Unlockable: None
Status: Claimed by that annoying furry creature, and the Squirrel, too.

Title: A Grave Problem
Description: The cemeteries on the outskirts of Scara Brae City and further into the countryside are being defiled in the middle of the night by shady figures, graves dug up and corpses stolen. The superstitious townsfolk have been making a fuss, claiming that black magic is afoot. The constable, however, just wants to restore peace, and is willing to pay anyone who can find out what’s been going on and put a stop to it.
Conditions: Quest Only – 1 to 6 players.
Rewards: 300 GP for investigating and capturing the grave robbers, plus 400 more for apprehending the one behind it.
Unlockable: Boss Battle

Title: Scourge of the Red Ship
Description: A new pirate ship has begun terrorizing the commerce of Scara Brae. Known only as the “Red Ship” due to the color of its hull, they say it was constructed from stolen wood from the Red Forest of Raiaera. The vessel’s bold captain is wanted dead by more than one group. The local law enforcement has stated that the Red Ship must be destroyed at all costs, the pirate Captain Gurtz Danager wants this new upstart gone to remove competition, and a handful of particularly wealthy merchants are willing to pay handsomely any mercenary who can capture this valuable ship for them.
Conditions: Battle or Quest – 2 to 6 players.
Rewards: ??? %

Quentin Boone
01-17-09, 11:14 PM
I'd just like to make my claim for "A Lesson He'll Never Forget" so people know it's taken.

silicson
01-22-09, 09:32 AM
I want to claim the quest "A grave problem"(sounds like fun), so I guess I'll get it started.

Christoph
01-22-09, 11:40 AM
All right. Good luck and have fun. I'll look forward to seeing it completed. Just a general note regarding that mission: it can be claimed more than once, as Scara Brae has several graveyards. ;)

Raven, Setontalf
01-22-09, 12:44 PM
I'll take the Goblin Kidnappings thread.

Calaelen
01-22-09, 01:04 PM
Quentin, if you'd like to turn this into one side against another I'll jump in for Count Burock. Being a noble-man's son I can easily find a way to come to the defense of the mans family...

Miehm
01-22-09, 10:39 PM
I've got it covered, if Boone'll reply.

Squirrel
01-23-09, 08:43 AM
Title: Breakout!
Description: A respected member of the Scara Scourge has been caught in illegal trade and thrown in jail. The man, referred to only as “Toolbox,” was vital to the gang because of his unexplained ability to receive shipments of nearly anything for a low price. The gang’s elites are searching for anybody daring enough to risk breaking him out of his prison. A bonus would surely be awarded for diverting any suspicion that might be placed on the gang.
Rewards: Gold + ??? (Players’ choice, subject to Judge approval)
Unlockable: None

*claims for the honor of squirrels and imps everywhere*

Basileus
01-24-09, 04:24 PM
I would like to nick Runaway Bride as a solo quest if thats ok, just so I can practice my writing skills. (will get started right away)

Spirit Hunters
01-25-09, 09:54 PM
So a "boss battle" is like a new quest? so we have to quest for a few posts before we come across the boss, and then fight it for a few posts so its the normal length of a quest? Or we just in as many posts as a battle would take place, fight the boss?

Sorry if thats a wishy washy question. Hopefully it made sense.

Christoph
01-26-09, 02:21 PM
It's a new quest in the technical sense. Basically, you would complete your first mission as normal, and then I'll custom tailor the boss battle to how the mission concluded. You would then have the option of roleplaying the boss yourself or recruiting someone else to come in and do it. There might be times that I'll feel inclined to personally volunteer to write as the "boss", but these will be special cases. ;)

Basileus: You can do that mission as a solo if you'd like, but I'm going to leave it open in case other people want to do the same mission as a group (which is how it was originally designed).

shinigami_90
02-02-09, 07:37 AM
Description: A new pirate ship has begun terrorizing the commerce of Scara Brae. Known only as the “Red Ship” due to the color of its hull, they say it was constructed from stolen wood from the Red Forest of Raiaera. The vessel’s bold captain is wanted dead by more than one group. The local law enforcement has stated that the Red Ship must be destroyed at all costs, the pirate Captain Gurtz Danager wants this new upstart gone to remove competition, and a handful of particularly wealthy merchants are willing to pay handsomely any mercenary who can capture this valuable ship for them.
Unlockable: Sequel or Boss Battle

Mind if I take Scourge of the Red Ship?

Christoph
02-02-09, 10:16 AM
By all means. Be sure to get at least one other person involved, though.

shinigami_90
02-02-09, 10:19 AM
I'll find someone who will help me. Just might take a while though.

Ariana
02-07-09, 02:52 AM
Title: Runaway Bride
Description: Rebecca Sorthus, the daughter of a cruel count in the queen’s court, was poised to be sold into a marriage with a 50 year-old noble, Gregor Delan. Her initial misgivings were amplified ten-fold by the mysterious deaths of her future husband’s last two wives. She has run away from home and has been seeking anyone who could smuggle her out of the country. Meanwhile, Count Sorthus and Gregor Delan have put out rewards for anyone who can bring back the runaway bride.
Conditions: Quest or Battle – 2 to 6 players
Rewards: Gold and/or ??? (Players’ choice, subject to Judge approval)

Princess Uroki and Myself would like to claim runaway bride. We will start as soon as we get approved.

Godhand
02-07-09, 10:21 AM
I might want in on Runaway Bride, but my character usually works alone so I'd need to know which side both of you are on beforehand.

Ariana
02-07-09, 11:33 AM
Me and Uroki are gonna be with the bride helping her escape.

Godhand
02-07-09, 04:09 PM
Ehh, I guess not. I'd have to be on the opposing side for it to make sense and it just seems like a distasteful side to take.

Rebellion
02-07-09, 04:29 PM
It would be perfect for Rose, however.

Quentin Boone
02-07-09, 05:33 PM
Hey, I'd like to take the opposing side of the "Runaway Bride" mission, and if I was to team up with Rebellion's character, we could make it a proper 2v2 battle then.

Rebellion
02-07-09, 05:40 PM
I don't mind. I wont be able to start regularly posting til next weekend, most likely, so I may not be able to do it if you guys start sooner.

Ariana
02-07-09, 06:03 PM
That sounds like a fair judgement.

EDIT: If anyone who is in can post an entrance post, go ahead. I'm gonna try to but it might take me all night for it to make sense.

Quentin Boone
02-08-09, 08:59 AM
I guess I am in, as you haven't said otherwise, so I will post an intro up.

Also, just so you're aware, for my character, this will be set after the "A Lesson He'll Never Forget" mission.

Lady Blackwell
02-08-09, 09:53 AM
Unlockable: Sequel or Boss Battle

I would like to claim this one, if it is not already, anyone willing to fight against, or help me would be appreciated.

shinigami_90
02-08-09, 11:02 AM
I'll join you in the Scourge of the Red Ship. If you don't mind that is.

Ariana
02-08-09, 02:08 PM
Ok what is the posting order gonna be? for the "Runaway bride" that is.

Lord Saladin
02-08-09, 02:12 PM
Umm... Let's just go organically: So however it works out during this first 'round' of posts is how we keep it throughout the quest.

Edit: Oh! Ooops, posted up on my main account by accident. Quentin Boone is my other account.

Ariana
02-08-09, 03:34 PM
Alright. I'll try to have a post up tonight. And bunnying, is it ok or not?

Quentin Boone
02-08-09, 04:13 PM
I'd much prefer you didn't bunny my character - it's one of my major pet peeves.

Lightfoot
02-08-09, 04:15 PM
That's your right as the character's owner. But you'll come to find that sometimes it can't be helped, and you can even get some kickass scenes from bunnying. I'm not telling you how to play your character, just saying that when it comes to bunnying: keep an open mind.

Ariana
02-08-09, 04:17 PM
Alright no bunnying.

Lady Blackwell
02-09-09, 01:35 AM
Shinigami_90 welcome aboard, now where are u gunna lie, where is your allegiance?

you have 3 choices.

personally i am going with the merchants to capture the ship.

shinigami_90
02-09-09, 02:11 AM
Well my character is an assassin employed by the law to get rid of the captian. so thats his job.

Lady Blackwell
02-09-09, 11:31 AM
Hey shinigami_90 you won't allow private messages, but i do have Msn add me if you want davis_269@msn.com

Any althanas people can add me aswell.

The Mathemagician
02-09-09, 11:56 AM
Description: The cemeteries on the outskirts of Scara Brae City and further into the countryside are being defiled in the middle of the night by shady figures, graves dug up and corpses stolen. The superstitious townsfolk have been making a fuss, claiming that black magic is afoot. The constable, however, just wants to restore peace, and is willing to pay anyone who can find out what’s been going on and put a stop to it.
Rewards: 300 GP for investigating and capturing the grave robbers, plus 400 more for apprehending the one behind it.

Anyone interested in doing this one with me? PM me if you are, we can get plotting and whatnot. I'm not yet approved, so I'm not sure if I can lay dibs but...I'm interested in it anyway.

Actually, if one of these has a spot open that they would like me to fill, I'd be happy to join in. The extra gold sounds nice and juicy to me. ;D In that case I'll join yours rather than doing the "A Grave Problem" Quest.

So, anyone interested in joining said thread, or having me join said other thread?

Lightfoot
02-09-09, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that one was claimed last time I checked. Just to let you know.

The Mathemagician
02-09-09, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that one was claimed last time I checked. Just to let you know.

Ah, thank you very much for letting me know that. Good that I didn't start on writing that, eh?

In that case, I still am interested in joining an open spot on any of these missions (if open spots still exist.) Thank you!

Death_god
02-09-09, 12:07 PM
The mission can be claimed by many groups. And Mathmagician, I'll join you. ^_^

Lightfoot
02-09-09, 12:09 PM
Yes, but unless they work together, you'll just two groups of people finding their own versions of the culprit.

EDIT: Nevermind that. He's right.

The Mathemagician
02-09-09, 12:58 PM
OK, then. Yeah, it does say that multiple groups can take the mission.

I think DG and I are going to do the "Grave Problem" thread, in that case. We're open to more people joining though, so anyone who is interested in helping out please PM me. Thank you very much ^_^

edit: My character is now approved too.

Christoph
02-10-09, 08:55 AM
Have fun fighting for the Red Ship. Be sure to let me know how it ends. Same with you, Mathematician. The Grave Problem set is playing an important role in Scara Brae.

The Mathemagician
02-10-09, 11:13 AM
Sounds good. It looks like the three members for our thread are set to be me, Red, and Daddy Skelly. We're going to have a good time with it. :)

Christoph
02-11-09, 11:03 AM
Have fun!

Also, new missions will be posted in the next few days, so if you've come in late and see that all the missions you like have been taken, don't worry.

silicson
02-12-09, 12:01 PM
The Grave Problem set is playing an important role in Scara Brae.
Christoph: Could you emphasis that statement , if you would like,please? :)
The rest: I'm curious, who else has taken this quest?
Althanas adventures can find me at silicson@live.com (MSN or WinLive)

Christoph
02-12-09, 01:01 PM
I can't reveal too much about Grave Problem yet. It's a secret. ;)

Erif
03-12-09, 02:47 PM
Silicson, can I join you on A Grave Proble, or are you doing it alone?

Gavrin
03-15-09, 05:38 PM

Is anyone interesting in doing The Grave Problem quest with me? If so, just shoot me a PM.

Mikeavelli
03-16-09, 03:10 AM
Questioning for clarity:

Are the "looking for employment" quests the only ones in Scara Brae, or are we allowed to make up our own out of whole cloth?

While staying within the spirit of Scara Brae of course.

Kerrigan Muldoon
03-25-09, 03:38 PM
I'm going to do the Grave Problem quest with Gavrin. I'll assume that would be no problem?
Just wondering, the course of he quest is compeltely dependent on how Gavrin and I write, true? (I know that it's not about completing the quest but about how you write completing the quest or not, but still)

Is anyone interesting in doing The Grave Problem quest with me? If so, just shoot me a PM.

Taskmienster
03-25-09, 05:46 PM
Questioning for clarity:

Are the "looking for employment" quests the only ones in Scara Brae, or are we allowed to make up our own out of whole cloth?

While staying within the spirit of Scara Brae of course.

More can be added, if that is what you are asking. Of course. However, player created "employment threads" are little more than normal rp threads that pertain to SB. You can do those all you want. This is more for the people that want to take a quest that is being created by the SB mod and run with it, and possibly have a follow up quest or two.

If you would like to suggest some feel free to PM myself or Christoph and we can talk to you about them and possibly put them up. It would just be a matter of working it into the way they are outlined, currently, and just giving you credit. If you want to do them yourself, feel free to go for it. You can do that at any time.

Christoph
04-01-09, 08:01 AM
Thanks for that, Task. Sorry that I missed the question. I forget to check in sometimes. But yes, anyone can PM suggestions. I still need to expand the list, so new ideas will be welcome.

Kerrigan: The quest can go in a variety of directions, and it's up to you. Once a number of them get completed, I'll work on tying them all together in some way.

Failariel
04-20-09, 07:37 PM
Um, I realize I'd be doing a third, but could I possibly do a solo of Grave? If not, that's okay, and I'll look around for someone to write Hooligan with...

Kerrigan Muldoon
04-21-09, 02:26 AM
My writing partner for Grave seems to be somewhat inactive. I'll PM him if he still wants to continue (he has 1 post, me 2), if not then you could take over I guess.

Bandage
04-21-09, 02:43 AM
I'd like to claim the quest " Runaway Bride " if it is still available.

Christoph
04-21-09, 07:33 AM
Bandage: since the current thread for runaway bride hasn't been active in months, you're welcome to it.

Bandage
04-21-09, 07:43 AM
Athankye.

Ilsiad Cimitarra
06-03-09, 01:37 AM
I know there have been quite a few, but I'd definitely like to do a solo on A Grave Problem.

Also is the Red Scourge still open? I saw somebody say they were going to work on it, but show that it is still open in the original post.

oblueknighto
06-09-09, 04:44 PM
I would like to take "Scourge of the Red Ship" but I would need somebody else with me, I mean my character is a bowman, it's just not right as it would seem stupid for a bowman to capture a ship on his own. We will operate at night where it is easier for small parties to do anything compared to large parties like the crew of a ship.

Note the fact that my character can do many things including operating a ship/boat whatever you want to call them.

Failariel
06-09-09, 05:28 PM
Can I join you on that one?

oblueknighto
06-10-09, 01:08 AM
Okay, so currently we have 3 characters for it, if anybody else wants to get involved then be my guest, I was just trying to get a RP started. I would like this to start out with RPing as your character setting out the plot before we start fighting because fighting is too overrated. Everybody happy with that? I will post the tread up when you say it's okay to.

oblueknighto
Failariel
Ilsiad Cimitarra

Taskmienster
06-10-09, 01:52 AM
You guy's are all welcome to do the quest. I'll update the first post with those who have claimed it. It's best to leave this for claiming missions though. If you'd like, you can make a discussion for the quest in the Roleplayers Corner, that way you all can talk to each other OOC.

oblueknighto
06-10-09, 07:03 AM
The OOC for 'Scourge of the Red Ship'.

http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=149721#post149721

silicson
07-16-09, 04:05 AM
Just finished my " A grave problem" and submitted for judging.

Duffy
07-21-09, 06:06 PM
What's the status on the Red Scourge, seems it's dead in the water, but with a new flurry of activity, I'd like to get Duffy and the Tantalum in on any action!?

Kushan
07-21-09, 06:17 PM
May i sign up for the grave problem quest?

oblueknighto
07-21-09, 08:47 PM
The status on 'Red Scourge' is pretty much as you said, it died before it even started. A little too bad I must say. That was going to be something really good.

Duffy
07-22-09, 01:19 PM
Well if you're interested Blue Knight, after the Magus Cup and my character's Solo quest are complete, we could see about restarting it ourselves?

oblueknighto
07-23-09, 03:32 AM
That's a little late, but I'm okay with it.

Duffy
07-23-09, 07:36 AM
We could do it now but unless Duffy suddenly develops the ability to teleport he can't be in the theatre district, fighting teh awesome fighters and bringing pirate ships down all at once, that might be stretching things a bit, lol.

Taskmienster
07-23-09, 03:06 PM
We use liquid time on Althanas, meaning that if you want to be in more than one place with your character at a time then you are by all means allowed to do so. If you would like to join in on this thread, you don't have to wait for the tournament and your solo to finish before doing so. Just a heads up. :)

Duffy
07-23-09, 04:38 PM
Oh, well in that case, I'm in.

Mavek
08-12-09, 11:43 PM
I would like to claim "A Grave Problem". I've been rather inactive after having been.. well, not very active in activating my Althanas activity. If that at all makes sense. At any rate, I'm going to get my first post up tonight.

Taskmienster
08-13-09, 12:40 AM
Sounds good. You're welcome to it.

Darion Ragnar
08-15-09, 01:06 AM
I'd like to claim Scourge of the Red Ship, if that's not a problem. I'm writing up A Grave Problem on my alternate account, Mavek, and I think this specific quest is rather suited to Darion here.

Hamilton Calder
11-24-09, 11:55 PM
I'll be taking on "A Grave Problem".

Taskmienster
11-25-09, 12:18 PM
Go for it.

Hysteria
02-10-10, 03:31 AM
I would much enjoy having my character hanging around in a graveyard and getting his goth on. So "A grave Problem" please.

Taskmienster
02-10-10, 07:37 AM
It's all yours.

Also, this thread is rather old, so I'm thinking about closing it in the future and putting up some new ones. Of course, until I do that you're more than welcome to claim what's up here still.

Hysteria
02-12-10, 05:38 AM
Hey, myself and another would like to claim Scourge of the Red Ship.

Taskmienster
02-12-10, 05:54 AM
Go for it. It's been attempted numerous times by plenty of groups, hope you're luckier than them and can get it to completion. :p

Alis Grave Nil
03-30-10, 06:25 PM
Title: A Lesson He’ll Never Forget
Description: Recently, two counts in Queen Valeena’s court got into a serious argument in which both contenders were personally affronted. Count Burock, the more honorable of the two, challenged his adversary, Count Sorthus, to a non-lethal duel. Burock won the fight easily, but the bad blood on Sorthus’s side has not been erased. He wants revenge, but he wants Burock to live to feel the pain. Instead of going directly after the count, Sorthus is willing to pay a large sum of money for the murder of Burock’s family: his wife and two sons. He would prefer that the killing be done as violently and publicly as possible. While he already has men working behind the scenes to prevent charges in court against himself or his hit-man, it is nearly guaranteed that some evasion of the police will be necessary immediately after the crime.

Is this still open for someone?
Its almost a perfect match for my character....

Go inn for the kill and disapear.

and if allowed i belive i would preffer it to be a solo until further notice.

Duffy
03-31-10, 02:02 PM
I have not yet gotten around to fusing this older board with new Board of Acquisitions. However, if you wish to take this mission, and believe you are suited for it, you are more than welcome to do so. Please remember to link to this board in the original thread, and explain why you thought it better as a solo - although I don't think it'd matter too much.

All in all, go for it!