PDA

View Full Version : A New Day

Galedeaap
01-27-09, 03:00 AM
Galedeep rose with the sun as he always did. Strapping on his armour and weapons he heads to the training yards for his usual two hours intensive with Sir Arc before breaking fast with the rest of his company. As always they start of slow, almost dancing as their blades twirl and slice the cool morning air, slowly building speed till their blades are indistinct blurs, humming through the mist as it floats through the practice yards. The castle bell tolls the hour and the blades fall silent, Sir Arc and Sir Galedeep, with sweat drenched brows face each other and bow as they have done every morning for the past seven years.
“Not bad Gal, not bad at all, one day you might even think about trying to hit me.”
“Arc, I could have hit you, you’re just so old that if I did I might send you flying.”
“Well if you’re so young why don’t you run to the top of the castle and back in full armour then?”
“Point taken Arc, maybe you’re not that old yet”
“And don’t you forget it boy! Now how about some food then we’ll see what the day brings”

The day passes on with little of note for Gal, till as the very last rays on sunlight slip over the horizon a band of travellers arrive.

Hmm, I wonder where they’re coming from. There’s just about every profession covered, I see warriors, healers, priests, rouges, mages and is that a lore master I spy?.
Maybe I’ll see if an audience with him can be arranged.

The troupe pitches their tents for the night in the castle’s courtyard; fires flare up before my eyes as they start to cook their strange meals. I watch as the lore master sits cross legged and consults one of his ancient tomes. His apprentices gather around as he reads to them of times distant and strange. I hold my ring up to the torch light and watch the light dance of the smooth silver and marvel at how the sapphire almost seems to absorb the light rather than reflect it.

I wonder whether the lore master knows anything about this sort of ring?
I continue on my, waiting for my relief and wondering what the new day will bring.