PDA

View Full Version : Home

Chidori Draconid
07-13-06, 02:59 AM
“Not to hot, is it?”

The young deity, Chidori Draconid stuck his tongue out to taste the sweet Radasanthian basil sauce. He nodded with satisfaction then wiped the rest of the light sauce off of his face. Avakra hadn’t spoon fed him this ingredient like she had the rest of the sauces and soups for their meal tonight. This time around she mischievously flung it at him. He turned to see a smile on her face, the most sinister smile she had ever shown him. They made eye contact long enough for him to grab a handful of hard pasta and hide it behind his back.

“You know I should slap you.” Chidori said with a dangerously serious face and tone. Avakra’s smile disappeared and a look of confusion and shock possessed her beautiful amber eyes. “With some pasta!” Chidori laughed as he quickly struck his mate in her flat stomach with the handful of edible sticks.

After taking a few hits she pulled him close to her and the two kissed and briefly exchanged sweet nothings, and then they went back to cooking in the estate’s luxurious kitchen. Even this room was white. At least it was white before Chidori and Avakra started cooking. Now the marble floors were covered in powder. The walls were stained with tomato sauce, and the fire oven was filled with scattered “test runs”. They knew they had a lot of cleaning up to do, and they would make good on their promise to their host, Nu Gua, that they would clean up after themselves and leave a little bit of food for her to try. The cease fire didn’t last long. After a few minutes Avakra launched a chunk of pastry dough across the kitchen, and it landed on Chidori’s neck with a loud slap. Chidori didn’t turn around, but simply tossed diced pieces of tomato over his head. This continued for a few minutes until the estate’s head cook appeared at the threshold of the kitchen stunned like the golems guarding their gates. His long pointy ears stood straight up as he scanned his domain.

“My kitchen! My beautiful kitchen. It’s ruined! What do you two think you’re doing here? This isn’t a play ground! You cannot just… Ah!” The elfin cook looked into the fire oven. He started mumbling in what Chidori took to be elfish. He caught sight of the floor which was covered in a mix of flour and diced tomatoes, which he had seen Chidori tossing. “Where’s the marble? You know you’ve done a ridiculously good job of ruining a kitchen if you cannot see the floor anymore.”

“I can see it.” The young deity said as he pointed to a small corner under the shadow of a wooden cabinet. He knew that was a smartass move so he moved to make up for it. “We promise we’ll clean up after ourselves. We just wanted to have a dinner date tonight, and we thought cooking together would be fun. Nu Gua said we could do it.” Avakra nodded with a hasty desperation as Chidori spoke.

“All of this?” The cook began to slowly raise his voice. “You plan on spending two to three days in here cleaning all of this? Because this is certainly a mess that requires that much time. Not to mention that you went about this whole endeavor with utter ineptness. The wrong utensils are being used for the wrong foods, you’ve mixed the oils, and why would you even think of going about doing this without a hairnet, young woman?” he said as he pointed at Avakra, “Your hair goes to your waste!”

“I am divine with everlasting youth and health.” Avakra said with a vengeful voice. “My hair doesn’t fall out.”

“Well at-ti-tude. Now get the hell out of my kitchen, the both of you!”

The both of them knew exactly where they were going, down the vast pearl corridor to the Nu Gua’s quarters. There she stood leaning with suave on the threshold of her oversized double doors as if she were waiting for them. They had forgotten that not only did she build the grand Ethiopia Estate, she was the Ethiopia Estate. The walls had ears and the windows had eyes, hers. When eight immortals conquered the property a few weeks before, she knew exactly when they took over the house incantations and magic, and even when they took control of the massive golem guards. Therefore it should have been expected that she was aware of the altercation between the young divine couple and the grumpy elfin cook. She made an apologetic gesture and smiled humbly. “Sorry, love-birds. It may be my estate, but that’s his kitchen. I know I gave you permission to use the kitchen, but wrongfully so without proper consideration. Perhaps we can have a night on the town in Eluriand.”

Chidori and Avakra looked at each other, each waiting for the other’s response to Nu Gua’s offer. That may have been the only flaw in their relationship. The two of them were “givers” and the match provided standstills such as this one. Finally Avakra spoke up. “As long as we’re doing something tonight I’m happy.”

That’s the answer Chidori was hoping for. The pubs and entertainment centers in Eluriand were clean and without conflict. The three of them then made their way out of the building. The nighttime sky was moonless tonight allowing the activities of the gods to be seen as the sparkling stars and stellar clouds. The only object of significant illumination was the palace of Velice Arta peaking over the horizon. Who would have thought a goddess made her home just a few miles outside of the city limits of Eluriand. How she threw parties with a guest list so diverse, including the private elite of Alerar, was a mystery to Chidori. How he wished he could do the same. Nu Gua was world renowned and had a network that extended far beyond national boarders almost exclusively because of the parties she threw. Tonight, however, the estate was occupied by no more than three residents, Nu Gua Chidori and Avakra, and their staff of fifty.

So with a basically empty house the three of them set out for Eluriand. The first stop was an unlikely one, the school of Ost’Dagorlin, Istien University. Chidori was convinced that the students, teachers, and classes there were the most entertaining due to the basic structure of its song magic. They certainly did have their share of fun there, for there was dancing and instrumental music along with the instructive portion of a class. Then they went to the Adernoas, an illustrious upscale restaurant and bar located only six blocks east of the Raiaeran palace. There something came up. Chidori and Avakra sat shoulder to shoulder, each with a glass of wine in their hand. A string quartet played vibrantly on the other side of the hall as couples pranced around on the hard wood dance floor. Nu Gua had quickly found a man to dance with, but this wasn’t her establishment. She couldn’t hear what the two of them were saying.

“Maybe,” Chidori said as he twirled the wine glass around and around, “We should find our own home.”
“Really?” Oh that tone wasn’t good. She was attempting to sound pleasantly surprised. “So how will you go about doing that?”
Chidori turned to Avakra. “First of all I need to know if you’re okay with this.”
She kept her eyes on her wine glass. “You don’t need my approval to do whatever you want.”
“I know I don’t, but I’d love your assistance.”
“Why do you want to do this?” Avakra said innocently as she finally looked Chidori in the eye. “Aside from tonight’s episode we haven’t had that much of a problem with Nu Gua’s hosting.”
“What’s to say that won’t happen again? I’d like to live on my own steam. There are too many times when I think about the fact that someone else is feeding, clothing, and providing shelter for me when I’m fully capable of taking care of myself. Plus I’ll have a base of operations. I’ll have my own parties, forge my own connections, and create my own network.”
“Have you ever taken your wife into consideration, Chid?” the young deity was nearly blown back by the statement. It took him a moment to process, but then he realized that the two of them were still in danger. He was committing adultery, but it was an unwanted arranged marriage. Chidori’s wife did not love him, nor did he love her. However, there was already one instance where his wife had attacked and almost killed Avakra. She was probably doing it just to make Chidori’s life more difficult. They couldn’t do much about it. Chidori and Avakra were minor deities with mortality being a real thing, and his wife was an immortal, all powerful goddess.
“Alright. I see where you’re going.” Chidori said with a content smile of compromise. “How about I find the home and you stay at the Ethiopia Estate until this situation is dealt with.”

The next day Avakra practically tackled Chidori with a gigantic architecture book in hand. She quickly turned to the pages of interest featuring a manor as large as the Ethiopia Estate. It was called the Deleigh Palace, and it was located in Corone, north of Radasanth. It was a good distance from their current home, but it was so beautiful, Chidori had to agree to look into it. The blueprint showed six vast acres, and the illustrations depicted truly unique architecture, with ionic columns and intricate woodwork throughout the mansion. Elegant facades had petite columns and walls that seemed to crinkle. The elaborate veranda enclosed courtyard was built around a giant coastal redwood tree. Organic curves and ornamentation were emphasized, as well as surfaces that were richly decorated with glazed tiles, carved stucco, stone statues, patterned brickwork, floral motifs, and varieties of calligraphy. This palace represented what Corone was. The island continent was not a melting pot as it was so popularly considered, but a kaleidoscope. Like this home cultures came together, but were still easily distinguished.

It was a picturesque sight. Chidori was sure he would be breathless when he saw this architectural marvel in person, but he wasn’t. In fact he was very disappointed. Did Avakra check the date on that book? Because now Chidori was standing somewhere just outside the metropolis of Radasanth gazing at the ruins of the Deleigh Palace. The sun was setting on collapsed columns; moss covered walls, and faded décor. The young deity sighed. Although he was simply open to this property as an option, the idea of this majestic place grew on him as he made his way to Corone, so he felt more disappointed than ever.

“It was a beautiful place.” The masculine voice came from a tall grey haired elf. “It was a shame that they let it become this, only to be forgotten by mankind.”
The man spoke as if he’d been there, and perhaps he had. He was an elf, and elves possessed a lifespan great enough to see multiple millennia. This one in particular had lived long enough for aging to actually kick in and turn his hair grey. He had to have been here when the mansion was occupied and standing tall. Chidori opened his mouth to speak, but the elf answered his question before he could ask.
“I was here when this mansion was brand new and teeming with noble life. It belonged to one of the old baron families of Corone during the Age of Resurrection. He fought against the merchants and underground organizations in the great revolt six hundred years ago, and died in the battle. Although he was survived by a wife and two children, they left the house and decided to live in secrecy. None wanted the estate, and none sought to preserve it.”
“It would take an unprecedented amount of resources to restore this place wouldn’t it?”
“Yes…” The old elf turned and rubbed his chin with contemplation. “There is another way. You could turn back the hands of time. The Radasanth library’s chief librarian is also a very brilliant human magician, particularly gifted in the temporal arts. I am certain if you do him a favor or pay him sufficiently he will surely revive this dead estate.”

Three hours later, after some casual sightseeing, the young deity finally made his way to the Radasanth library. He would have come earlier if he had known that Alton Koch was a person in such high demand. He was in the back of a line of four people standing outside his office, but every appointment seemed to take at least half an hour. Just when he was beginning to run out of patience the door opened and a brown haired human man with glasses invited him into the office.
“Alton Koch.” The man said as he extended his rugged hand.
“Chidori Draconid.” The young deity accepted the handshake, but the librarian froze.
“Are you the deity sent from heaven through right of passage?”
Chidori tilted his had in surprise and smiled, “Yes. How do you know about?”
“Oh I think I know your wife. Luminous crest, golden skin, rainbow aura? She was only here a little more than five years ago participating in the very ritual you’re in the middle of today. How is she, by the way?”
“She’s… her.” Chidori smiled and the two of them laughed. You probably slept with her too, Chidori thought to himself, but you don’t see me bitching about it. She doesn’t even love me.
The smile suddenly disappeared off the librarian’s face. “You’re right. She never loved you, and you never loved her. Guess who did?” Alton could read minds… wonderful. “It is wonderful. Wonderful to be able to read minds, manipulate time, teleport across the globe, the list goes on my good God. So what are you here for?”

If the man could read minds why didn’t he know what Chidori wanted? He had the picture of the Deleigh Palace, daydreaming of the complex in its prime, vast, luminous, and warm. That’s when the young deity realized that Alton could only hear verbal thoughts, but not see visual thoughts. He would keep that to himself.
Daleigh Palace just north of the city limits. He would have to play up a habit of vocal thinking. “I know it’s old, but I’d like for you to revive the palace and its property.”
“What will you do for it?”
Not kill you. Chidori knew Alton heard that in hopes that he would bite.
“You’ve committed adultery just as she did, and you don’t love her. Why would killing me do anything for you?”
“Because she’s attacked a woman I truly care for. Eye for an eye, but then again she probably doesn’t care for you, so I’d have to beat you within an inch of your life, extract your consciousness from your body, dip it into the fountains of oblivion, place it back into your body, and repeat the process a dozen times to make things even between her and I.” Chidori was surprised at what he declared. It was vengeful in a Godly way. He wasn’t ashamed though. In fact he was quite proud. He didn’t care how powerful this mage was, if Chidori was provoked enough, he would make good on that statement. “Either way. You name the task and I’ll see if it’s worth performing for your help.”

“Very well. On the outskirts of the city there lives a noble family. Unfortunately they are noble in name only; they have exhausted their fortune through hedonism and gluttony. I made a couple of loans to them and also tutored their children in magic for free, but now it’s time to make their first payment, a humble sum of one thousand gold pieces. Go there and retrieve that money on my behalf. I’ll find two other people who can assist you in the endeavor. Meet them an acre south of the home tomorrow night.”

Christina Bredith
07-16-06, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Hoped I would get it in before I left for the cottage on Friday, but it turned out to be longer than I expected so I didn't get a chance to post until I got home. >.<

The Radasanth library was reputed to be an excellent source of knowledge on a variety of topics, from history to politics to geography to magic. Its collection was supposedly second only to the ancient libraries in Raiaera; the trouble was, Christina had no intention of crossing the sea to a land full of long-eared mages just to find books on the one topic she was presently interested in. Besides, she found her sword, Rosebite, here in Corone – why should she start her search for information anywhere else? Unfortunately, though, her long search had turned up nothing at all. Christina had thought that a sword as unique as her Rosebite would be easy to discern from all the rest. After all, how many books could there be about such a weapon?

Apparently, none. The search had gone on for hours, and all Christina had to show for it was one magazine, set aside because it had an advertisement for a gorgeous pair of boots that she wanted to keep her eyes out for next time she went shopping. (Okay, so maybe the hours of searching had not been completely focused on the sword.) Christina was just about ready to give up. Maybe Raiaera’s libraries would have something more like what she was looking for. Those pointy-ears were widely known for their love of magic, and Christina would put dollars to donuts that Rosebite was a magical artifact. She closed the last book she could bear to look at and tossed it up onto the pile with the rest of them before leaning back in her chair and breathing a heavy sigh. But how will I get there? I don’t want to take a boat… and I don’t speak their freaky-deaky Elvish.

“There will be no need for that,” a quiet voice stated from behind her. Christina lurched forward in surprise and spun around in her chair, only to spot a brown haired man peering at her through thick glasses. The woman curled her lip a little, wide-eyed, as she wondered what this kook was talking about.

“Excuse me?” she asked politely, quirking a brow.

“Nevermind.” The man dismissed the notion so nonchalantly that Christina was almost happy to see it go. Something about him creeped her out, but she couldn’t put her finger on what it was. “You would like to know more about that sword of yours, wouldn’t you?” Oh. That’s what creeped her out about him: he could read her thoughts. Either he was literally capable of doing that, or he was just a really good guesser. The woman just nodded her head, although her expression was still one of skepticism. “You won’t find anything in here about it,” the man said as he gestured vaguely towards the multitude of bookshelves.

“Gee, thanks,” Christina answered sarcastically, tilting her head to one side. “I’m really glad I didn’t find that out three hours ago.”

The man just laughed and shook his head slightly. He gestured with his hand for her to follow him. “My question was not an idle one,” he responded. “I can help you – if you help me.”

Christina would have rolled her eyes, but her interest was admittedly piqued. After three hours of fruitless research, any lead – even if it came in the form of a crackpot old man who could read minds – was very welcome. She stood from her chair and began to follow him, but quickly remembered something: she scrambled back to the desk and grabbed the magazine, rolling it up and tucking it inside her tunic with a smug, satisfied look. Hey, she was proud of that find, as it was the only thing she had to show for her efforts. Besides, she needed new boots. What else was a girl to do?

The man led her back to the main desk at the front of the library, past which all visitors needed to travel in order to get to the stacks. He ducked behind the desk and closed it while he guided her around to the front. “Alright, what’s the catch, old man?” Christina’s voice was actually not all that harsh, but playful – in a demeaning sort of way. The man did not respond, except by extending his hand.

“Alton Koch,” he introduced. Christina quirked her brow. Normally people were a little more lively in response to her playful taunts. Where was the fun in this? She merely shrugged and accepted the handshake with a firm one of her own.

“Christina Bredith.” Alton nodded his head while he rifled around for something under his desk, and she then realized that he probably already knew her name. Probably already knows what colour bra I’m wearing, too. Alton nodded his head again, and Christina couldn’t help but laugh. Hey, maybe this guy was pretty fun after all!

“How much do you know about that sword?” Alton’s voice inquired as he continued his search. Christina furrowed her brow and shook her head with a defeated look.

“Next to nothing. All I know is that this rune” – she unsheathed the sword and placed its flat roughly against the desk to reveal the glowing silver rune – “gives it some kind of special power.”

The sight of an unsheathed weapon in the library, seemingly pointed straight at Alton, ushered several gasps from the nearby patrons. The man stood up to see what was the matter, and as soon as he saw Rosebite laying on the desk, he fixed an admonishing glance on Christina. “Would you be so kind as to keep that in its scabbard while you are in my library?”

The woman merely rolled her eyes and returned the weapon to its place. She turned her head to face the nearest group of visitors. “Oh, grow a pair!” With that, her attention was fixed on Alton again. He had appeared to regain his composure, and was holding a small book in his hand. He placed that book on the desk without explaining what it was for or even gesturing at it, which invoked Christina’s curiosity. “What’s that?”

Alton shook his head. “Like I said, I’ll help you if you help me,” he responded in his cryptic fashion. It was revealed that he had also produced a map of the area from under his desk, and this he unfurled and displayed for Christina. One rugged finger indicated a certain location north of Radasanth. “Just north of this location lives a family who owes me some money – one thousand gold pieces.” Christina’s eyes bulged a bit at the sum. That would certainly buy quite a few pairs of boots. “I’ve recruited a couple of people to help retrieve that money. You’ll meet them here, tonight. Bring me the money, and I’ll help you out.”

Christina considered the offer for a moment, and eventually nodded her head. “Bill collection, huh? All right, but you’d better not be leading me on, old timer, or you’ll live to regret it. Maybe.” Alton just nodded and chuckled. Christina spun on her heels, sending her golden hair flying, and moved quickly out of the library to meet her companions on the outskirts of town. Normally this wasn’t the type of work she would be up for, but considering the prize at stake, she was willing to compromise.

Walter
07-17-06, 12:56 AM
"Wouldja like mer tea?"
"Of course, Johnathon. And please, call me 'madam.'"
"Yes mad'm."

Johnathon Walter gently poured another cupful of imported Fallien tea from a fine ivory pitcher. He was dressed in a grey butler's coat with black pants, and wore a small pearl necklace. The stones were fake, but had been polished to exhude an appearance of wealth and taste; the same could be said of the woman he was serving. Her complexion was powder-white and she wore a great deal of showy jewelry. She sat cross-legged, patiently waiting for another spot of tea.

It was like a pool of water. Jon couldn't help but watch as the hot stream of tea bubbled into the cup, finding himself on the verge of distraction.

Jon was sitting next to a small spring jutting off the Niema River, dipping his head in for a drink. He was at the base of a long hill, at the top of which stood a ritzy mansion. The sun was beginning to set, and this was where Jon was camping for the night. The surrounding "wilds" were far tamer than he was used to, and so there would be no using tree branches or dead dogs for pillows this night.

The evening went by in uneasy silence, and Jon couldn't sleep. His gut became tense for no reason, and every time a gust kicked up it felt as though there were things rustling in the grass. But over the wind, Jon thought he began to hear something; a lullaby. A soft harp-strung melody soon covered Jon, and though his gut was screaming that something was not right, the wanderer was soon lulled into a deep slumber.

Fragments of memory; being dragged by two servants. Tied to a chair. The young lady looking at him with wide, glowing eyes...

"Johnathon, are you quite all right?" asked the madam of the estate. John lifted his kettle as quickly as possible, sighing with relief when he discovered that none of the tea had been spilled.
"M'fine," Jon explained in as dignified a manner as his slurred tradespeak would allow. "You be fine widdat?" he said, motioning to her fine tea cup. With an elegant gloved hand she shooed Jon away.
"Yes, Johnathon. You may take your leave."

With a bow, Jon left the vast parlor to place the tea kettle back on the fire in the kitchen. Weaving through a complex network of servants, Jon made his way up the stairs to attend on the young mistress Brittany. It would certainly be as fine a day as any, for Jon lived to serve and his life was now nothing but servitude.

Chidori Draconid
07-18-06, 12:10 AM
Chidori stared at his plate, afraid to look into the thin onyx irises or the sapphire third eye of the goddess Nu Gua sitting across the small mahogany table from him. The artistic design of the mouth-watering meal helped. On the bottom of the plate was a thick juicy slab of filet mignon. It was crowned with a chunk of garlic mashed potatoes, which were shaped into a bowl to hold the tangled bundle of dark green seasoned kale. All of this was surrounded by a ring of salad that had been elegantly tossed in ginger dressing. Hot steam carried the delectable smell up to his nose, and despite all this the young deity could not touch his meal. He had no appetite.

“Eat. You’re going to need it tonight.” Nu Gua said as she leaned on the red brick wall against which their table sat. Chidori felt like a runaway child who’d just been found by his mother. In a way that’s what this situation was, except Nu Gua wasn’t his mother, but his mother’s best friend. In fact Chidori had gone out of his way to discuss the subject with Avakra without Nu Gua knowing because he waited for them to exit the property of her home, where she could not see and hear everything. It must have been Avakra’s excitement that gave the two of them away, she probably gave herself away shopping for new drapes or constantly pining over the architecture book in which she had found the Deleigh Palace. All Nu Gua had to do was put two and two together. Suddenly she burst into laughter finally getting Chidori to look up from his plate. “Oh it’s so entertaining toying with you and Avakra. I’m not angry. Your mother told me all about your fear of wearing the welcome mat. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later.” She leaned in and touched Chidori’s caramel face, “You know out of all the gods and goddesses to go through this right of passage, you are probably the most responsible of them all. Although you could have picked a better situation, I’m proud of you, and if there’s anything I can do to assist in preparation of the home feel free to let me know.”

Chidori breathed a sigh of relief and then thought of what Nu Gua could do for him. He wasn’t going to ask her to bring her divine wrath down on Alton Kotch. He hadn’t asked for the gods’ direct assistance all this time, and he wasn’t going to start now. Then something came to mind. “A palace would need staff.”

“True. Should I go to Salvar, or should I loan you some of my staff?”

“No.” Chidori had a better idea. “My first night on Althanas I ran into a pack of slave traders in Scara Brae, who had provoked a pair of dragons by stealing their eggs thus provoking me. I fought them and I freed about fifteen women who still live there. They were supposed to take care of the eggs of the deceased parents, but the dragons inside died. They don’t really have anywhere to go, and without the dragons to take care of they don’t really have a purpose. Because of the situation they were in they’re paranoid. They refuse to be in a place where there are even half as many men as them, which is pretty much everywhere. For the most part it’ll only be Avakra and I in our new home, and they’ll have something to do. Maybe you could go and offer them the job while I’m working to get it?”

“Not a problem.” Nu Gua said with a smile. “I’ll bring Avakra with me as well. It’ll give her something to do besides pining over those pictures.” Chidori had guessed right. Nu Gua did find out by observing Avakra’s fanaticizing. Just at that moment Chidori realized that his love was going to be introduced to fifteen women. No matter. She would have to face them sometime if they were going to be serving in his home, and he’d rather that happen when he wasn’t present.

Chidori finally began to eat while he and the goddess made idle conversation. They made lazy conversation about their food and the music playing in the dining hall in which they ate. He finished his meal just as the setting sun’s rays poured through the tall windows. They said their goodbyes and he got on a carriage, which carried him to the northern outskirts of Radasanth. The buildings became less and less frequent and the natural terrain began to take over, while the stone streets became gravel roads. After a short forty five minutes the young deity stopped the carriage and stepped out. He was here.

Chidori stood at the acre mark, where he was told to wait, and although he couldn’t see the home, he could see the front gates which stood no more than twenty yards ahead of him. That said a lot about the property. If it was proportionate on all sides this noble family owned at least a full square acre of land. That was a lot of room to run around in. He would have approached the iron gates or scale above the wall all by himself. This was a simple payment mission and nothing more. If they didn’t have the money they didn’t have the money, and it would be up to the Radasanth Library’s Chief Librarian to deal with that. Oh who was he kidding? The only reason Alton would send him out here is if there was going to be trouble. The librarian wanted the young deity to have a difficult life simply because he was married to someone the librarian was foolishly in love with. How could Alton fall in love with someone like Chidori’s wife in the first place? She was malicious. It was almost as if she took pleasure in putting other people in rough situations.

Then the young deity remembered exactly why he was here. Alton Koch was probably a perfect match for Chidori’s wife, but that would probably prove to be a very dangerous combination. This and much more ran through his mind as he watched the stars, and awaited the arrival of his partners.

Walter
07-30-06, 11:12 PM
The day that followed was a peaceful one, but very busy. There was wood to chop, fields to oversee, rooms to clean, meals to make, servants to account for, parties to arrange and gardens to arrange. The task was split across the vast estate, divided between nearly a hundred servants. Among the throng, tending to the whims of two terribly spoiled children, was Jon Walter.

"Johnathon, I desire a nap. Fluff my pillows!" cried the young mistress of the estate, Lady Brittany.

"Johnathon! Find my lyre!" Yelled young master Timith.

"Get me one of the herbs from the kitchen!"

"Close this window!"

"Put those dolls away!"

"Tell Brittany to be quiet!"

"Tell young Timith to kindly shut up!"

"Her first!"

And Jon performed the tasks requested of him with a total sense of dignity and gratitude. The Dellarann children must be attended to quickly, Johnathin reminded himself, or their magical studies will surely suffer for it. He doubled his pace from one room to the next.

As the servant marched briskly across the rich emerald carpeting, passing by old paintings and tapestries as he went, he revelled in the history of his new home. The estate had been in the Dellarann family for nearly 20 generations, or so it was told. All kinds of treasures had been collected over the years, transforming the humble manor into a garden of beauty.

As with any ancient house, it had accumulated its fair share of shortcuts and secret passageways over the years. Tugging down on a false lamp, Johnathon trotted through the revolving door that appeared in the wall. They were fairly convenient walkways, and Jon passed by several other harried houseworkers as he traversed the passage down to the first floor, of the estate's three grand floors.

He passed by one of the wide windows as he left the shortcut hallway. The sun was bending low on the horizon, preparing to dip back into the drink for a while before hopping out again like a vast life-giving fish. And when night came, as though by clockwork, the house would shift into an entirely different entity. Young master Timith would begin to play his enchanting song that would ring throughout the estate. Young mistress Brittany would shut her door while the Lady of the estate (the Masters of the house were frequently away on "business trips" of whatever sort, and so the good Lady Dellarann was most oft directing the affairs of house) prepared for the usual guests to arrive.

Soon the proud Dellarann estate would become something else entirely. And Jon would certainly be given even more chances to prove his endless loyalty. He couldn't wait.

Christina Bredith
08-02-06, 10:02 PM
A walk was what Christina decided on. With the time it would take to find a carriage, she could probably walk to the outskirts and get there in the same amount of time, especially since she wasn’t all that far away to begin with, having come directly from the library. Besides, the night was clear and the stars were shining. Why waste perfectly good money on a carriage ride when she could enjoy the scenery instead? And so she did. She was new to Radasanth, and it was good to really get out and learn her surroundings. It was a skill that, to her, was absolutely necessary, not only for safety’s and convenience’s sakes, but to give herself peace of mind as well. Back in Laricia, she had known the city like the back of her hand. The uses had been rather trivial, such as knowing the quickest route to X department store or Y restaurant, but it was home, and it made her feel at home. But Radasanth was her home now, and she needed to establish that here as well.

Unfortunately, the trip was pretty uneventful. Maybe it was just the late hour, she told herself; the sun was already setting in the western sky, filling the sky with its pink-orange haze, which meant that all the exciting events of the day were over and all the exciting events of the night hadn’t started yet. Nice freaking time to meet up, then, she thought with disdain as she continued to walk, fingers laced behind her head. A few merchants were still open here and there, and children scampered along cobblestone pathways, already late for their curfews. Christina grabbed an apple from one of the vendors she passed, tossing him a gold coin in payment. She tossed it up in the air idly while she walked, only occasionally taking bites out of the juicy red flesh.

All in all, the trip took about an hour from the library where Alton Koch had given her the assignment: forty-five minutes of lackluster trekking through the city, and then fifteen more of even less exciting travel across the plains to the north. The only excitement Christina had the entire time was when the massive estate finally appeared on the horizon, first little more than a blip on the radar and then quickly doubling—nay, perhaps tripling in size! Not bad… might give Unc Henry a run for his money. The reminder of her dear uncle would only make this job that much easier; if ever Christina had any doubts about smacking these folks upside the head to collect their money, all she would need to do is remember dear old Uncle Henry and all apprehension would clear away like a fine mist retreating on a warm day.

As she got steadily closer, Christina could see that one other person was already waiting near the gates to the large estate. Presumably he was one of the companions Alton Koch had said would be meeting her here. At the very least, she could see he was prompt. The kid looked to be a bit younger than she was, with neatly-trimmed black hair and skin that was to die for. Under different circumstances she might be swooning, but this was a business venture, and there was no room for getting hot under the collar. The only sound coming from her was a quick note of greeting once he was in range. Christina raised her hand and waved it from side to side at the wrist after she had called out for his attention. “The old guy sent you too, right?”

Chidori Draconid
08-07-06, 09:19 PM
Chidori was surprised to hear a feminine voice come from the darkness as it was followed by a golden haired woman about his height. Instead he looked down to his right hand as he extended it for a handshake.

“Chidori. Pleased to meet your acquaintance.” He then quickly looked away into the property of the nobles. “Let’s just go in there, get his money, and get it to him. I’m really not hoping for any kind of challenges here although I believe that’s why he had me do this.”

Chidori figured his surprised expression had gone away by now. He just didn’t expect to carry this mission out with a woman, but this was Althanas and by now he should have known to expect the unexpected. Although he hated to admit it, even Avakra was a little more battle hardened than he was. The young deity could have sworn that Alton spoke of assistance in the plural from.

“Did Alton by any chance speak to you about another partner?” Chidori said as he headed for the gate.

Before his partner could answer his question a one horse carriage had rolled up and a woman in an elegant beige noble’s dress stepped out. “May I be of assistance?”

Apparently someone had seen Chidori standing outside the gates and had sent for someone to address him. That was the only logical cause he could come up with to explain this. As long as someone was here, he might as well be diplomatic. “Yes you may.” He said as he stepped forward and gave one of those faint proper smiles. “We are here on behalf of Alton Kotch. He’s hoping you could pay him tonight.”

“Ah yes. Please step into the carriage. We will take you to the masters of the house.” Chidori pondered for a moment. What about their third partner. No matter. He doubted they needed a third hand especially if he or she preferred to be so late. The young deity nodded in approval and kept the door open for his partner to step in before him.

The inside of the carriage was luxurious as well it should have been. The seats were cushioned by velvet pillows that released air when they sat, and the window on each side had a miniature curtain. The light of the torches on the gate slowly disappeared behind them as the turbulent ride began. Chidori decided at that moment that he would be walking or calling upon the services of one of his Godly friends to get home. His back was hurting from all the bumpy carriage riding he had suffered today. It was a surprise someone hadn’t invented a way to possibly absorb some of the turbulence created by the terrain.

“Master Dellarann has been expecting Kotch to send for his gold for some time now. You two must be special. He usually sends one of his assistants to come and collect. A few young librarians here and there asking politely for the payment. It seems as though the two of you are here for some special reason especially you, madam.” The debutant looked at Chidori’s golden haired partner. “I hope you are not expecting any trouble from us. I know we have fallen short on our last few payments, but not only are we willing to make up for them, we are ready to pay our entire debt, the full twenty thousand in gold.”

Chidori’s eyes widened with amazement. During his short time on Althanas money had never really been an issue. Before living with Nu Gua, everything he needed he earned through favors. Then when he lived with Nu Gua, everything he needed was provided for him free of charge. Twenty thousand gold pieces was very large to him. Then again one thousand would be large to him, seeing as he’d never had even five hundred gold pieces to his name.

“If that’s the case then we’re willing to take that money off of your hands.” The young deity was already planning the lie he’d tell to Alton when he brought twenty thousand to him, a lie that would not only get him his home, but possibly a new ally on Althanas. Chidori could use the vast knowledge of a librarian. He’d just have to make sure to kill Alton before Alton killed him.

After a few moments and needless conversation they finally stopped at the Dellarann manor. The giant flight of stone steps led up to the double wooden doors of the primarily brick structure. The outlines of bodies swiftly crossed across the light of the windows inside. Chidori could hear the voices of primarily women and children. It was hectic in there, as if they were preparing for a party… or an ambush. The young deity froze at that thought and allowed the woman to walk past him to the door. His heart began to beat at the front of his chest as she pulled the doorknob.

Christina Bredith
08-11-06, 12:32 AM
Christina stood some distance away from Chidori for her own safety until he turned and addressed her. She knew better than to just assume such things about people; ruffians and bandits were common in the wide open plains of Corone, and it was not unusual to see them hanging around noble estates such as this, waiting for the perfect chance to strike at a passing carriage and make off with everything from the rider’s purse to the spokes of the wooden wheels. Chidori could easily have been one such person; just because his clothes weren’t ragged and his beard wasn’t scruffy didn’t mean he lacked a dangerous streak.

But the man turned to her and extended his hand to shake, which Christina met with aversion at first; after a moment, though, she stepped forward to close the distance between them, and accepted the handshake with a firm one of her own. “Christina Bredith,” she introduced simply in her honey voice. “Pleased to meet you.” Although her elegance was not quite as refined as Chidori’s, perhaps, she was polite at least in this. She certainly looked the part of both warrior and noblewoman: although a sword hung from her round hips in a leather scabbard decorated with a rose, the red tunic with gold trim that she wore look like something that could easily be worn to a formal function. Her hair was done nicely, her boots were practical but fashionable, and the willowy black shirt she wore beneath the tunic, which revealed only her arms and a tasteful portion of her upper chest, was light and playful.

At Chidori’s question, Christina shrugged slightly. “He mentioned hiring a couple of—” But before she could finish her answer, they were both interrupted by the sudden arrival of a horse-and-carriage and the picture of refinement that was its passenger. Christina chose to let Chidori do the speaking; it would serve as a secret test of the man’s character, to ensure that he actually was here for the proper reason. If he attacked this woman, Christina would strike him down and that would be that; but if he knew of Alton Koch and the quest he hired them for, then she could put some degree of trust in him instead.

Indeed, Chidori answered just as Christina expected. She stood by with one hand resting on her hip as the noblewoman entered the carriage. After one more sweep of the horizon at their backs to ensure that their third partner was not forthcoming, she too entered into the luxurious cabin, nodding with a polite smile at Chidori who had so graciously held the door open for her. Christina took her seat opposite their host, crossing her right leg over the left and folding her hands in her lap. The only thing she focused her attention on at first was the scenery as it rolled past the carriage window. The bumpy ride didn’t phase her, for she was used to it, having traveled by carriage many times with her parents and her uncle.

When the other woman spoke again, Christina politely fixed her gaze upon her. Her silver eyes were serene, but carefully examined her. She had made it a point long ago never to trust anyone, no matter their looks, and this noblewoman could be about as deceitful as they come. Who better than a member of a noble family to poison their meals or their drinks before they even arrive? We could be dead as of hours ago, she thought to herself. They would have to be careful of any gratuities provided for them by their gracious hosts, she knew that much.

“It seems as though the two of you are here for some special reason especially you, madam,” the woman said, looking across the carriage at Christina. Her response was merely to look over at her and raise one eyebrow, as if silently questioning what she could possibly mean. “I hope you are not expecting any trouble from us,” the noblewoman continued. At that, Christina merely smiled as sweetly as she could, masking the suspicion she held deep inside. You’d better believe I am. Even a woman as jaded by life as she was could play the part of the innocent girl when necessary.

The sum that their hostess admitted to, however, shattered that veneer of innocence for but a moment. Christina’s eyes widened and she let out a huff of breath as if trying to laugh but unable to even do that. “Holy mother of—” She had to slap her hand in front of her mouth to cut the vulgar expression short, which brought on a look of curiosity and arrogant concern from the woman who sat across from her. How could Alton let them get away with so much money for so long? And how the hell did a simple librarian have that kind of money to toss around?

After her near outburst, Christina was mostly silent for the rest of the journey to the massive estate. She participated in the small talk where necessary, but otherwise resigned herself to quiet contemplation, preparing herself for the task ahead. Their hostess had assured her that things would go smoothly, but Christina didn’t believe it for a moment. Nobody would part with that kind of money so easily – nobody that was desperate enough to ask for it in the first place, anyway. Something reeked about this whole situation, but the blonde couldn’t put her finger on what it was.

Perhaps the crowd that was gathered inside the Dellarann manor was a hint. Christina could only look at them with suspicion through the grand bay windows, wondering what they were all doing tottering around at this time of night. She stepped out of the carriage after the other two, and made her way up the steps to the door some distance behind the noblewoman, keeping in time with Chidori. On the way up, she twisted her head towards him and whispered quietly, “Looks like a real ball, but forgive me if I hope we’re not the guests of honour.” She quirked her eyebrow once and continued up the steps, checking to make sure their hostess had not heard her suspicion. Thankfully, the woman had not, and was already turning the doorknob to admit them entry. Christina narrowed her eyes, absently resting her hand on the hilt of her steel blade and muttering, “Party time.”

Walter
08-13-06, 10:43 AM
The house had become a living entity, beating with the pulse of stamping servant feet. It was a rush now, preparing for the dinner party that was to be held in the honor of the two guests that were being welcomed at the front gates even now. Johnathon didn't know the details, of course; he was busy welcoming the guests who were coming from the trail leading up behind the mansion.

While the cleaners were working at double-pace, dishes were being set in the dining hall and the children were being dressed up for the ocassion. It was a little daunting to see how much the Dellarann Estate resembled a furious anthill right now, but it was all fairly harmless... at least it was at the moment. Johnathon tromped through the mansion's storeroom, throwing open the double-doors leading outside.

Amidst the statues, tall hedges and trees, a wide horse-drawn caravan had arrived and was situated in front of the storeroom. Several shadowy figures were busy untying things from the wagon's load. Bathed in rich golden light from the well-crafted torches hanging along the backside of the mansion. Johnathon stepped out onto the dirt road, and was immediately greeted by the leader of this dark party - a tall, well-built man wearing a drab hooded cloak.

"Got the delivery we agreed upon?" the hooded man inquired. Johnathon rubbed his hands together tactfully and nodded.

"O'course, Sir Nassgar. The guests're bein' tended to - s'dinner time."

"Good, good." Nassgar nodded to himself, crossing his thick, bare arms. He and his men knew what to do. Johnathon peered back anxiously over his shoulder to the storeroom, expectantly awaiting the servant who would signal this particular slave-trader and his band to move in.

"I'll inform th'Madam of yer arrival." Johnathon said as he nervously paced back into the house where the guests would be served a pleasant meal to start off their lives in servitude.

Chidori Draconid
08-16-06, 09:50 PM
“Madam, I’m sorry.” Chidori said with a halfway regretful face. He had to make like he actually cared that he couldn’t come in. “I think it would be best that the two of us stayed outside.” He said as he glanced at his blonde assailant seeking approval.

The woman simply nodded with a smile. “Oh I understand. We don’t intend on an ambush, but if you insist on staying out here then so be it. We’ll have your payment prepared as quickly as possible so you won’t have to suffer the night chill for too long.” She opened the door and before she closed it behind her she looked back at the unlikely duo with a sly smile. “If the two of you by any chance change your mind, you’re more than welcome to dine with us.”

What was that face all about? It was just food. That set off an alarm in Chidori’s head as he scanned the surroundings. It wasn’t much use to do so. He couldn’t see past the torches of the fa&#231;ade. There was no reason for the woman to be smiling like that though. She knew something they didn’t, but that was to be expected. This was her home.

A few moments of awkward silence passed, haunting Chidori and Christina as they stood there awaiting Alton’s full payment. The young deity didn’t want to talk. It wasn’t because he didn’t like his partner. She seemed to be a pretty sociable woman with a sharp mind and a quick mouth. He noticed her holding her tongue a few times in the carriage, and nothing would please him more than to have her say what she would, but he was suspicious of his surroundings. Since he couldn’t use his eyes he would have to use his ears.

The ruckus inside was getting more hectic as shadowed outlines of people flew across the window light and commanding shouts pushed past the menial barriers of the wooden double doors. There was no imminent danger to those inside the house, but the sense of urgency was ridiculous, especially when their unexpected guests were not attending the evening’s festivities. Chidori couldn’t help it anymore. He had to talk to his partner.

“Alton’s going to give me a house for this, a palace to be exact. I know it doesn’t seem like an equal trade, but even now I suspect there’s going to be more to this than just a collection.” He turned and looked at Christina with a polite smile. The long locks of her golden hair reminded him of his hair. He ran his hand through his head and realized that his hair had gotten much longer since he’d been on Althanas.

“So what about you? I don’t suspect you’re one of Alton’s loyal servants. What are you doing this for?” Just then Chidori noticed a shadow move across the light of the window behind Christina. It wasn’t on the inside either. Before he could say anything he was interrupted, not by Christina, but by a net that floated lightly on top of him. It glowed a luminescent red as it wrapped around him and constricted his movement.

“Damnit!” He shouted as he twisted and hoped down the stairs. His enemies may have stopped his limbs from moving, but he didn’t need them to utilize his Stellar Energy. He could feel the seven chakras within him tingling. As soon as he saw an enemy he would shoot.

“Try cutting me out of this, will ya?” Chidori said to Christina with a half jovial chuckle. It wasn’t likely that a normal blade would get him out. If someone went through all the trouble of making it constrict its victim they’d may as well go the whole nine yards.

Christina Bredith
09-05-06, 05:49 PM
Christina was a little surprised, and certainly impressed, to hear Chidori refuse the woman’s invitation into the house. It took a load off her mind, to be sure. No need to worry about poisoned food, no need to worry about traps in the floors, no need to worry about anything like that. “We don’t intend on an ambush,” their hostess admitted, and Christina had to work hard to suppress a scoff. Right, keep telling yourself that. She had no reason to trust these people whatsoever. They owed money – a large sum of it. Nobody gives that kind of stuff back without a fight. It’s human nature.

As the woman vanished into the estate, Christina simply leaned back against one of the large stone railings that led up the staircase, and glanced over at Chidori. She mirrored his suspicions but it didn’t show on her face. Christina was a little calmer about the whole thing, probably because she was absolutely certain something was up. She didn’t know where, or how, or when it would happen, but she knew something would. That allowed her to seem less worried about the whole thing. As long as you know, in every fiber of your being, that you are about to be double-crossed in some way, you don’t really need to worry about it anymore. You just need to expect it and react accordingly.

Christina turned her head over her shoulder to glance through one of the huge bay windows of the house when the shouting started to increase. She could see the silhouettes of people moving around more quickly than before, as if some kind of ruckus was ensuing. “Well, they’re certainly in a tizzy,” she said at last, glancing curiously at all the shadows. “I’ll bet they’re just dying to greet us.”

Her gaze returned to Chidori as he began to speak, and her eyebrow lifted with surprise. “A house? He’s giving you a house – sorry, a palace – to collect some money for him?” Admittedly, she didn’t sound like she believed it. It wasn’t a rude-skeptical tone, but rather a tone of sheer amazement. She did chuckle, though, when he mentioned this being more than a simple collection. “I’ll bet you’re right about that one, cutie.” She used the term almost without thinking about it. It didn’t occur to her that he might already be involved, because it didn’t occur to her that she would want to get involved with him. It was a simple statement of fact, flirtatious though it was.

Christina outright laughed at the mere thought of being one of Alton’s loyal servants. Her laugh was sweet and cheerful, like that of the young girl that she was, despite her often lukewarm exterior. “You are right again,” she added at the fact that Chidori didn’t think she was one. Her hand reached for the hilt of her sword as she began to say, “He’s going to help me with—”

But then she was cut off by a flurry of movement, forcing her to spin around and look skyward to see what was happening. Her sword flashed forth from its scabbard but it was too late. A red net had unleashed itself upon Chidori and it was constricting him, preventing his movement. It was far from a normal net, too, constructed of some kind of magical energy. It wasn’t likely that a normal blade would be able to break it. Thankfully, Rosebite was anything but normal.

“Hold still,” she said, stepping forward, “and watch my back.” Christina lifted her sword and pointed it downwards, pressing the flat against Chidori’s body. It was actually quite an awkward position, but with her blade’s abilities this was the only way to get him out of it. “Scream, Rosebite!” A silver rune near the tip of the blade flashed to life, and a small burst of energy tore downwards along his body and through the red energy. The blast was not designed – not capable – to actually cut through the net, but rather it pressed downwards with crushing force, causing the strands to snap beneath the pressure. It would not be an entirely comfortable experience for Chidori either, but when it was all over, he was free of the net, which lay around him on the floor.

Christina stepped back and looked up at him. “See? You were right, cutie.”