PDA

View Full Version : Runes.

Lord Anglekos
02-26-09, 01:06 PM
About them. I'm looking to get some runic magic implanted into my character's skin, but where would be the best place to "find" them, or a mage that specializes in said magic? Also, on enchantments in the Bazaar. How costly are we speaking, exactly? Say I wanted a spell cast upon my sword so that when I said a certain command word a level 1 or 2 fireball shot from it. How much would that run me?
That's all for now. Answer me or die.
Hmm, perish would have been a much better word to use...

Alydia Ettermire
02-26-09, 03:24 PM
Just for that, you deserve to have to root around the site until you find it.

But the answer is "Dheathain" and "not cheap."

Lord Anglekos
02-26-09, 03:35 PM
Just for that, you deserve to have to root around the site until you find it.
But the answer is "Dheathain" and "not cheap."
Aww, I blush when I feel all flattered like that.
And dammit, have to go back to Dheathain again...? I resist the urge to groan. What about the elves? Would they be able to perfom some permanent enchantment spells, or such? And if so, in what form?

Witchblade
02-26-09, 05:33 PM
As far as I do, the elves do not specialize in runic magic, whereas Dheathain does.

Lord Anglekos
02-26-09, 05:42 PM
<_<
You're just trying to trap me in your reigon aren't you. I knew it.
Ah well. Thanks.

Yari Rafanas
02-26-09, 05:52 PM
Are rewards like that more likely to be approved if they're in a certain region? I mean, what's to stop me from robbing some elf of his runes or magic weapons or whatnot?

I am just asking because I am not sure how rewards are played out anymore. If I quest and aquire an item, assuming my score/level are high enough, why can't I just get it that way?

Max Dirks
02-26-09, 08:11 PM
Nothing's changed, Yari. You can still request the spoils at the end of the thread and if the judge feels your writing was strong enough, you'll receive the rewards. Putting it in an appropriate forum might help those chances, however.

Yari Rafanas
02-26-09, 08:26 PM
Nothing's changed, Yari. You can still request the spoils at the end of the thread and if the judge feels your writing was strong enough, you'll receive the rewards. Putting it in an appropriate forum might help those chances, however.

Thanks Dirks.

Anglekos: Quest for whatever crap you're talking about so I can take it from you later.

Witchblade
02-27-09, 07:17 AM
Yari, make the Bandit Brotherhood powergroup again, I tried to do it with Dissinger and it didn't work too well. :p

EDIT: Lord Anglekos, yes... yes I am. ^_^

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 08:40 AM
Anglekos: Quest for whatever crap you're talking about so I can take it from you later.

Oh, sonofa-
Well, there goes my ARM, you dillhole. Or legs. Or whatever.

EDIT: Lord Anglekos, yes... yes I am. ^_^
Thanks. I'll never escape your cursed draconians now. I shakes my fist at you in anger. You should be ashamed of...well, nevermind. I'd probably do the same thing in your position. God it must feel good to have that kind of power. Mmmmmm.

I'm guessing that what Karuka meant by "not cheap" was "in the thousands you can't afford it, sucka". Correct?

Witchblade
02-27-09, 08:52 AM
Enchantments usually do tend to cost a fair amount. I can't give you an exact figure though because oddly enough, the Bazaar is the only area of Althanas I haven't modded. XD

But you could always use the Synthesis Shop and collect the items in a quest...

*more shameless plugging of Dheathain features!*

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 08:57 AM
But you could always use the Synthesis Shop and collect the items in a quest...
*more shameless plugging of Dheathain features!*

*throttles*
Well that settles that. I don't have anymore questions at the moment...but I'm sure I will later when I actually wake up.

Witchblade
02-27-09, 08:59 AM
*gurk, ack!*

*stops breathing*

*dies*

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 09:04 AM
*resists urge to commit necrophilia*
On that note, I have a totally random question that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread at all.
So, a character dies outside of the Citadel. What happens to them then? What if, save divine intervention or Xem'Zund reviving said character to be his (un)willing slave for the rest of their undead existence, there was no way for them to come back or be saved at all? What happens to them then? Does the account just "disappear" or...what?

Witchblade
02-27-09, 09:13 AM
lol, it's your character, you can do whatever you want with him. If you want him to die and come back as some ethereal being that can't even interact with physical objects, so be it. If you want him to be a slave for Xem'zund, go for it. There's no rules in althanas stating that you can't kill off your character and then bring it back in some bazaar fashion. Ask Yari, ask Dissinger, Slayer of the Rot, they've all had their characters die at some point and then been brought back.

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 10:04 AM
In that case, you and I have to do something about Vincent someday. Probably not anytime soon, but someday.
Either that or Xem'Zund's going to have another baddie in his army. Undead rape...ow...
EDIT: 'Nother question! Yeah, I've got a few now that I'm awake. Anyways, on liquid time. One of my threads is done but awaiting judgement. Since it's technically "done", would it be alright if I used the items and/or the abilities gained in another quest, granted I put "it's after so-and-so quest"? Or do I have to wait for my thread to be judged and my spoils approved?

Witchblade
02-27-09, 10:48 AM
Well, if the items and/or abilities you want aren't particularly strong and you're rather sure they're going to get approved with very minimal to no change to them, then go for it and feel free to use them in another quest. I've done it before.

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 10:50 AM
Since you answered, what about the prevalida daggers from Agrigon? Still unsure, the noobish thing that I am.

Witchblade
02-27-09, 10:53 AM
Ahh, that's a bounty board quest, as long as you mentioned in the judging request that it's a mission, provided a link to the mission board and said you would like the prevalida daggers, I don't see a problem with it.

EDIT: Unless you scored something dreadful, most bounties are given for missions.

Lord Anglekos
02-27-09, 10:56 AM
Ahh, that's a bounty board quest, as long as you mentioned in the judging request that it's a mission, provided a link to the mission board and said you would like the prevalida daggers, I don't see a problem with it.

EDIT: Unless you scored something dreadful, most bounties are given for missions.
I am something dreadful.
Lol, well that's a relief, as I did. Thanks Witchy.

Yari Rafanas
02-27-09, 05:26 PM
When Yari died, he stayed dead for a few years. It wasn't until 2006 that I eventually resurrected him but nobody knew how he came back to life and back to Althanas. I then disappeared for another couple years and I am currently in the process of writing about his return from the afterlife.

But Witchblade summed it up nicely. It's your character. Revive him how you want.

Lord Anglekos
03-01-09, 01:53 PM
Hmm...handy. Thanks.
Another question, off the mark. Hell, anyone can answer this, but what would be the best material for a shield per se'?

Miehm
03-01-09, 02:44 PM
Steel backed by laminated wood. Light and strong.

Yari Rafanas
03-01-09, 04:39 PM
Hmm...handy. Thanks.
Another question, off the mark. Hell, anyone can answer this, but what would be the best material for a shield per se'?

Your face.

Witchblade
03-02-09, 07:39 AM
Read the material list in the Bazaar, we're not here to do your work for you. :p

No really, the descriptions of materials mention some of the best ways to use them, or give examples of what they would be good for.

Lord Anglekos
03-02-09, 01:41 PM
Your face.
I knew it!

Read the material list in the Bazaar, we're not here to do your work for you.
Yes you are.
But seriously, I did before I posted. I just wanted what each of you thought personally would make a good shield. Sheesh. D:
So far I have my face and steel backed with wood. Mmmmm...tough choice...

Yari Rafanas
03-02-09, 03:10 PM
Maybe you could combine the two. Hmm...

Aiko
03-02-09, 06:24 PM
I always dreamt of giving raggy a Prevalida shield, a solid prevalida shield. That'd be one sturgy shield.

Yes, I can see it now, a nice Prevalida Tower shield. Nothing says defended like carrying around part of a wall with you.

Though, on a more serious note, I like Kite shields for their expansive area of coverage without screaming "wall" at you; and for level 0, I think a nice Plynt or Damascus shield would be tops right now. Currently Rahegalhoff has a steel kite shield as a basic starter shield.

Lord Anglekos
03-03-09, 08:38 AM
Maybe you could combine the two. Hmm...
Y'know, that's actually quite brilliant. A steel mask with a wood backing that turns into an awesome shield upon a command word.
Eat your heart out, Ichigo Kurosaki.
I'm actually thinking delyn, but the steel idea would make a good starter. Either that or I can rip off from Ys...eh, nevermind.

Karuka
03-03-09, 08:47 AM
On the original topic of your thread...you do realize that if it's just a scribbly you're CALLING a rune, I'm going to have to kick your butt on principle, right?

Lord Anglekos
03-03-09, 09:02 AM
*stops scribbling* <_<
I knew that. Tch.
You're thinking I mean the whole tattoo thing in animes where when the main character powers up they start a'glowin'. Or something like that. No, I mean actual runes.

Karuka
03-03-09, 09:05 AM
*stops scribbling* <_<
I knew that. Tch.
You're thinking I mean the whole tattoo thing in animes where when the main character powers up they start a'glowin'. Or something like that. No, I mean actual runes.

No, I mean if you're using a glyph or a sigil and call it a rune, I'll kick your butt. If you use a kanji and call it a rune, I'll run your butt through a shredder. I'm sick of people using things that aren't runes and calling them runes.

Lord Anglekos
03-03-09, 09:09 AM
No, I mean if you're using a glyph or a sigil and call it a rune, I'll kick your butt. If you use a kanji and call it a rune, I'll run your butt through a shredder. I'm sick of people using things that aren't runes and calling them runes.
I think this is the part where I mutter and walk away, but true to my...whatever... I stick around and argue until I get my ass kicked. So, what would you define as a rune? So I don't get it kicked/shredded in the future.

Lady Blackwell
03-03-09, 09:12 AM
-hands karuka a steel toe boot and a industrial paper shredder-

this can be fun ^.^ have fun there anglekos

Karuka
03-03-09, 09:12 AM
Check my lower level profiles, the Elder Futhark is all written out. There are some acceptable variations.

I'll have to see your idea of runes and tell you whether or not it endangers your ass.

Lord Anglekos
03-03-09, 09:18 AM
I think I'll stick with yours for the moment. My ass is too fine to endanger. Women across the world would weep at it's shredding.
...Not really. Damned be them.
But you get the notion. Anyways, as I'm looking at what I've got going on, that won't be until I hit Lv.1, I'm guessing, so I've got a ways to go.

Sighter Tnailog
03-15-09, 04:15 PM
For what it's worth, there are a variety of runes beyond the Elder Futhark, including the Younger Futhark and certain types of Gothic Runes. But they all look rather similar, and are of the same family of development when it comes to writing systems.

I tend to agree with Karu, though. Runes are a great tradition of the Anglo-Saxons, and they deserve to be given some credit. When Tolkien appropriated them, first for the Hobbit, I'm pretty sure he simply used the Elder Futhark as his model -- and don't quote me on this, but I think he might have changed nary a thing. While he did some of his own developmental work on them by The Lord of the Rings for the development of his dwarven alphabet, the Cirth, he was still using a basically Anglo-Saxon model.

Karuka
03-15-09, 04:19 PM
The Tolkien runes are only slightly different from the Elder Futhark, and utilize some of the more obscure ones.