PDA

View Full Version : So round two is over.

Saxon
04-02-09, 09:24 AM
Another round down. Most of the judgments are finished and posted, and by now most of us pretty much know where we stand. But, whether you won or lost, what did you think of this round? Share your experiences with us about how this round went. Anything you liked or didn't like? Did anything for you improve from the last round?

I enjoyed this round. Our opponents were cooperative and fun to write with, and it was the first time on my very short list of battles that everybody involved pulled a Reservoir Dogs.

Also, the speed in judging has improved significantly, so I'd like to give thanks to the judges who grabbed the bull by the horns and got things done.

Shadowed
04-02-09, 09:29 AM
I was pleased that my opponents and I could still work it out to finish the thread, despite losing my partner. Having it actually finish - and being a good fight to boot - was quite rewarding. I'm just anxious as hell to see who wins.

Petoux
04-02-09, 09:57 AM
I'm pissed off majorly.

Our oppossing teammates decided to bail, and they didn't post at all.

Therefore, besides winning and advancing (Which is the ONLY thing good from this), we got shit for it (no exp .. no gold).

I think, in my opinion, that everyone should get 25 exp and 25 gold for posting/participating in your thread ... that way the people that get screwed over (me) get a little something instead of jack shit.

Disappointing, yet I still get to go to round 3.

*Sigh*

So .... still good.

Shadowed
04-02-09, 09:58 AM
Wait, so you honestly think that you should get something for nothing? I mean, by that logic, anyone involved in a quest should get 25 gold for every day that goes past before the other guy posts.

Inkfinger
04-02-09, 10:38 AM
Real-life meant my partner had to bow out of the round, which meant my team defaulted, but it was fun writing Cael in an environment so far from his usual ones while it lasted. Dunno whether the Napalm Artisana are going to try and FP our way back in (right now I'd have to guess no and be fine with that), but if we don't it's been fun, again, while it lasted.

:D

I'm pissed off majorly.

Therefore, besides winning and advancing (Which is the ONLY thing good from this), we got shit for it (no exp .. no gold).

I think, in my opinion, that everyone should get 25 exp and 25 gold for posting/participating in your thread ... that way the people that get screwed over (me) get a little something instead of jack shit.

Disappointing, yet I still get to go to round 3.

*Sigh*

So .... still good.

I got jack too, both times due to circumstances beyond my control, and yet, somehow, life goes on. You have fate points. If you don't need to use them and you hold on to them, they add up to a nice bit of EXP once things are over.

Petoux
04-02-09, 10:45 AM
Wait, so you honestly think that you should get something for nothing? I mean, by that logic, anyone involved in a quest should get 25 gold for every day that goes past before the other guy posts.

No ... just this tournament only.

I find it unfair that some people get screwed over and get no exp or gold at all vs someone getting 1200 exp ...

HUGE difference.

I didn't say something for nothing ... I said participating in the battle (that's the something) ...

I should add this ...

If you lose ... you no longer qualify for the 25 points and get nothing.

There, now that's more fair imo.

Shadowed
04-02-09, 10:52 AM
I still don't see the point. 25 exp is a pittance.

Ebivoulya
04-02-09, 11:28 AM
Shadowed has a point, 25 EXP will get you just as far as 25 GP; nowhere.

I liked the round overall. There were some good fights, and the quality of writing in general improved. I was disappointed by the number of incompletes, but c'est la vie. Having fewer threads to judge is what led to the relative speed in that area, and that should only increase in the following rounds.

So, of the people we know are advancing, which fights would you guys like to see next round?

Max Dirks
04-02-09, 02:17 PM
There are two reasons why you don't get rewards for posting and winning by default: first, we don't reward EXP per post on Althanas, we reward for (semi) complete stories. To add a set EXP per post would give an unfair advantage to those who post nonsense and to add a variable EXP per post would be extremely taxing on our judges. Second, it adds accountability. I know this is a tournament so your opponents are randomly selected, but you should still open a dialogue with your opponents. Cooperating for a battle makes for a better read than being adversarial. Naturally, if a player is absent, it encourages contacting them to see why they are gone. In a regular battle this is even more important. At least you advance in the tournament. Even if you win by default, you still get the prizes that placing entails.

The moderators have discussed the topic at length, Petoux, so at least be assured that your concerns were considered.

Atle
04-06-09, 08:02 AM
My second partner attempted to continue, but life swept her away.

My opponents never responded after my own initial post and, to be completely honest, I wasn't at all motivated to ask them to.

I look forward to seeing if my four fate points will allow me to continue as a one-man team. The ToC held- still holds- great promise for me.

Kupo!
04-06-09, 11:24 PM
Personally, I have my gruffs and frustrations with this tournament. I'm a little upset with a few things, but the one I am really pissed about is that in bracket B, our two teams were the only ones that actually..ya know...tried to finish an actual battle. So when the third round starts, those who didn't put any effort into the tourny are rewarded, and those that did are SOL.

It just kind of bugs me with the current judging rubric; I think it is flawed and that most of the errors in it do not favor people who want to be a little fun with their creativity.

*settles down* I now await the inevitable, "No the rubric isn't flawed," or the "The rubric is designed to take out as much human error, but it is still there." Bull I am about to be bombarded with.

Christoph
04-07-09, 09:05 AM
Well, no. I know that in my case, I will only attempt to discuss these issues with someone who I know will be mature about it. You've just proven that you are not such a person, so I'm letting the issue drop.

Shadowed
04-07-09, 09:13 AM
Can't we all just get a dong?

But joking aside, I'm dying a little in anticipation for my judgment. The wait is excruciating.

Petoux
04-07-09, 09:59 AM
Patience is a virtue my friend.

*Whispers to you so no one else will hear* Psssttt.... constant whiners get punished. Shhh ... */Whispers*

jk :p

Shadowed
04-07-09, 10:10 AM
You mean like your constant whining about your opponents not posting?

Christoph
04-07-09, 10:29 AM
Oh snap! In other news, the next Podcast is being recorded TOMORROW! There is even a decent chance that the battles will be judged in time for Andy and I to talk about them.

Petoux
04-07-09, 02:08 PM
I havn't though ... only mentioned it twice buddy. Nice come back though Shadowed.

:p

Jericho
04-07-09, 04:57 PM
Must...resist...factual error......failing.........

I'm pissed off majorly.

<other grievances>

Disappointed me: One of our opposing teammates ditched (NOT intentionally, internet issues ...), so that was a shame.

Shame that my opposing team bailed out in Round 2 ...

It's hard to post when the opposing team bailed on you.

Curse me and my weak will. Aaaaanyway.

PSYCHED for the next podcast! And judgments! And Round 3, whether I'm participating or not, because whichever team proceeds from my match, it's going to be awesome to watch them duking it out with Sasurai. Bwaha.

Mage Hunter
04-07-09, 05:26 PM
Well, no. I know that in my case, I will only attempt to discuss these issues with someone who I know will be mature about it. You've just proven that you are not such a person, so I'm letting the issue drop.

How about me, you going to drop it for me too? I'd love to hear your opinion on the topic.