PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shat on my dreams

Taskmienster
04-06-09, 06:09 PM
Yeah... so after having the same XPS for almost 3 years, it's finally died.

I've lost everything I've written in the past 3 years, all my character profiles, and everything else.

My activity probably won't suffer much, but I won't be on AIM or any other messenger for a bit. Gotta get a new laptop now, and try and find a way to get ALL the stuff I had written on the other one back.

Thanks Karma, you're now noted and you have my undying hatred...

Witchblade
04-06-09, 06:11 PM
How is the laptop dead?

There's a chance you can hook the old hard drive up to a new one and transfer the files over that way. You can get it professionally done as well, but that'll cost you about $300-400.

Alydia Ettermire
04-06-09, 06:16 PM
That sucks. :(

I hope you find a way to recover most of the data.

Visla Eraclaire
04-06-09, 06:17 PM
Yeah. It's actually nearly impossible to completely destroy the data on a harddrive. Hard drives have been recovered after being set on fire or partially crushed, and I doubt either of those happened.

When you get a new computer, buy a nice external and back up to it. I nearly lost my only copy of Goodbye, Farewell, Amen that did not belong to a crazy woman because I didn't do that... but it, and most everything I've ever written, is now safe.

Best of luck on your recovery. The loss of a computer is a weighty one indeed... no sarcasm intended. I love my technology.

Lord Anglekos
04-06-09, 06:21 PM
Now you feel MY pain, you bastard! Not all of it, but...
Anyways.
Ahem.
Hope things work out with it.

Yari Rafanas
04-06-09, 06:25 PM
Good luck with that, Task. I know how it is to lose a lot of shit on your computer.

MetalDrago
04-06-09, 06:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, Task. Hope it turns out well for you in the end.

Sorahn
04-06-09, 09:14 PM
How is the laptop dead?

There's a chance you can hook the old hard drive up to a new one and transfer the files over that way. You can get it professionally done as well, but that'll cost you about $300-400.

You should do this. Only not the $300-400 part.

Open 'er up and pull that hard drive out and hook it up to a working computer. Boom, filez.

Visla Eraclaire
04-06-09, 09:16 PM
Depending on the laptop's design and Task's technical expertise that may be more difficult to do... but yeah, good plan in theory at least.

Lady Blackwell
04-06-09, 09:44 PM
that is what i would do, but then again i am a techy, and can jerri rig anything to anything

tech related

Taskmienster
04-07-09, 02:14 AM
My experience with technology is limited at best. I can't even figure out a way to get past the firewalls on Vista to let patches for WoW load so my little brother can play it. Been at it all day on my mom's computer, which I'm on now.

I don't even know what exactly i'm doing wrong... just that technology has decided to take a big dump on my face. No, not in that kinky sexual way either. No boxes for it designed or anything.

Anyway, I don't have the money to get the hard drive moved to a new computer or laptop that I don't have. I'll have to deal until I can get a chance to buy a new one. Or maybe convince my gf to let me put it on hers.... we'll see.

SO, currently there are about 150 pages of a book I've been writing for the past couple years on the dead laptop. As well the 9 page profile I had written for Ranger. :( I'll figure it out, hopefully.

Max Dirks
04-07-09, 09:24 AM
It's $99 dollars for a professional data recovery or $50 for an enclosure in the U.S.A., Task.

Ha, go USA and sorry to hear about the laptop.

Taskmienster
04-16-09, 06:48 PM
I think I figured out what was wrong with my laptop, the 130W adapter isn't as strong as it used to be. I ordered a new one, so I should be back up to runnin' in about 3-5 days.

Lightfoot
04-16-09, 07:07 PM
Grats! Did the shit leave a stain? :>

Taskmienster
04-21-09, 01:42 PM
Ehhhhhh....

So, I am very sorry.

The new AC adapter that the people at Geek Squad told me was the problem was in fact... not the problem. So after wasting a little bit of money, I've come to the conclusion that it's for sure dead now.

On top of that, I have been packing and moving my stuff to my gf's place. We're moving in together by the end of the week. As soon as that all happens I'll be stealing her laptop for a while till I can get my own again, or figure out how to fix the one I have.

So, till then I'll be on a little here and there. I probably won't update this anymore unless things suddenly explode and mess up even more. Though, within a week or two I'll be back to writing and judging and stuff.

Sorry again!
~Task

Viola Conda
04-21-09, 04:42 PM

I miss you task...

:'(

Koran
04-21-09, 09:42 PM
... *poofs*

So, what I miss?

*looks*

... Oh, Task is having comp problems again. *shrug*