PDA

View Full Version : La Belle Fille I

Breaker
05-14-09, 04:30 PM
Some stuff I took from my journals and revamped... the rest will be coming soon in parts two, three, and maybe four.

Cigarette smoke trailed from the butt trapped between my index and middle fingers. I stood facing the evergreen studded mountains, one shoulder leaned against the stucco wall of my house, admiring the snow that smothered the treetops like a ceremonial robe. Compared to the razor sharp bite in the coastal winds of Dieppe, the air in Prince George seemed tepid, temperate even. I lifted the cigarette to my lips and inhaled long and slow. A new city, new province, new climate, new people. A fresh slate of endless whiteness to write my life upon. You are washed clean of your sins, your successes, your triumphs and failures. You are washed clean of the past and given a new electric present. I held the smoke in my lungs long enough that it made me dizzy then exhaled. In the instant where the grey tendrils crept through the sunlight and blurred my vision, I was an infant again. I saw the mountain as nothing but a mountain, plain, natural, and beautiful.

For that moment, there was no comparison in my head, cynically realizing that although the air was warmer here it reeked of the nearby pulp mill. My mind was not dominated by the constant give and take of life. For a few seconds, I failed to think of Katie, the girl I said goodbye to maybe forever in New-Brunswick. A playful breeze tugged at my cap, and it was just a wind, not a heartnumbing reminder of the way Katie had tugged my heart one way and my mind the other. A dog barked and a child laughed on the other side of the wooden slat fence, and they were just sounds filled with their own glory. Not mocking symbols formed to tell me just how naive I had been.

I french inhaled the last of the smoke, recirculating it through my lungs, then expelled it straight up towards the blue sky as if trying to add to its measly bed of whimsical clouds. With that breath I released all the old thoughts, all the negative imagery that tied me down to the mistakes of my past. And along with them I sent the memories of all my accomplishments, the ego-boosting praise of my fellow workers and leaders. The start anew was to leave behind not just the bad, but the good, and everything in between.

I looked at my cigarette, a Peter Jackson menthol. The minty taste had become a tad sickly sweet, not entirely appealing, but I estimated the butt had one good drag left in it. Between my lips the filter went and I drew for a few moments then dropped the used smoke into the can.

The wind changed, slamming into my face rather than breaking on my back. Rather than teasing my cap, it nearly tore it off. Hailstones struck the ground with startling ferocity, a storm appearing from nowhere. I retreated to the covered portion of the driveway but stayed outside, enjoyed the simple pleasure of catching the occasional hailstone and melting it in my palm.

As suddenly as it arrived the storm departed. Could hail cause a rainbow? I turned to look and instead saw a large white van pull into the drive.

A part of the new life, the new start. A new group of people to meet and mingle with, perhaps make friends. My stoic brown eyes bypassed the tinted lenses of my glasses and the equally dark windshield. They slid off the driver like water over a dam, then pooled and eddied on the girl riding shotgun. She was already in motion, nearly dismantling the door in her rush to get it open. I could tell she was Québecoise by the way she leapt to the ground, a cigarette in one hand, a lighter sparking in the other.

I found the rainbow I sought in her hair. Streaks of blue and purple, pink and green streamed behind her shoulders. Her feet touched the ground at the same time as her cigarette cherried. Her smile put folded dimples in skin paler than the snow, softer than the clouds. As if she bathed in cream each morning and slept on a bed of marshmallows. She wore steel toed boots and long prison-striped tights with a patched skirt over top. Her scarf almost matched her hair, its unravelling grey undertone complementing her dirty blonde roots, its highlights blended with her own.

As her energetic demeanor held me transfixed, I saw her as nothing but a girl. Her pulsating vitality, her beauty incarnate, it reminded me of nothing and led me to nothing except otherwordly an appreciation and longing desire to put my arms around her. I saw nothing but a beautiful, mysterious girl.

On a new day, a new page, I met la belle fille.

Breaker
06-15-09, 07:47 PM
Salut la belle fille. Voici l'histoire de qui je te parlait... misère que c'est en anglaish, j'espère que tu comprends bien.

~~~

La Belle Fille Part II

I hadn’t slept more than two hours total over the past three nights. I tried to sit but my leg developed a nervous tick, bouncing like a jackrabbit. I paced the length of that forestry lodge over and over again. I endured the meaningless chatter and cacophonic laughter of the overtired teens. And as usual, I could only last so long. Socks slippery on the hardwood floor, I padded to the door. Pulled on my despicable leather shoes half-stolen from value village and slid out to the chilly afternoon.

With irate electric energy fueling my legs I strode to the end of the porch, through the curtain of droplets falling from the eaves and into an intangible drizzle. The grey sky sneered at my fire as I lit a cigarette and paced down the boardwalk. By the time I reached the end, enough nicotine had filtered into my bloodstream to calm me somewhat. As I turned and retraced my steps a song came to my lips, so I sang in a full clear voice as I enjoyed the large space in which to pace.

“We used to leave the blue light on
And there was a beat.
Ever since you have been gone
It’s all caffeine free-faux punk fatigues
Said it all before… they try to kick it
Their feet fall asleep
Yet no harm done…
None of them wants to fight me.” *

I paused in the same place I started the song, as far from the lodge as the boardwalk allowed. It was the first time I ever sang Metric full voice. I liked the way it sounded. My cigarette was half gone. On the walk back to the lodge, I tried another lyric.

“I’m sick you’re tired, let’s dance.
Break to love, make lust, I know it isn’t.
I’m sick you’re tired, let’s dance.
Cold as numbers still let’s dance.” **

The soft thuds of my footsteps turned to muted squishes as I stepped onto the muck section of the path. I stood between the lodge and the bathroom complex, my back to the row of cabins we slept in. This forestry camp, in the middle of nowhere-northern BC, was rotation camp for thirty two of us Katimavik participants. It was an eight hour bus ride out, followed by a day of useless activities and an eight hour bus ride back. The only reason I wasn’t completely depressed over being there were the good people I got to see, particularly Andréa Lauzon Amyot.

La Belle Fille. Any chance to see her warmed the situation. The last time we met, she hugged me goodbye four times, and I gave her the French “bises”, a kiss on each cheek. But it’s hard, with thirty two people in a small space, to find time alone to express your feelings. Alone for the moment, I decided to finish my cigarette and song together.

“As though it were easy
For you to leave me
I could be happy… gracefully.”

The door to the girls’ washroom opened and Andrea stepped out. Her turquoise hair and radiant eyes brightened the dim day to the likes of a lush Caribbean summertime. Normally when I see her I just about stop breathing, but she smiled to hear me sing, so I kept the song flowing as she descended towards me.

“I wish we were farmers, I wish we knew how
To grow sweet potatoes, and milk cows.”

I had to take a drag on my cigarette to steel myself for the next line. I looked straight into her beautiful eyes and pushed from my diaphragm to sing as sweetly as possible.

“I wish we were lovers…
But it’s for the best.”

She stopped a step away, and I stopped singing.

“C’est qu’elle chanson ca?” She inquired – what song is that?
“Calculation Theme par Metric.” I responded.
“C’est vraiment belle”. – it’s beautiful.
“Oui, je l’aime.” I gestured with my cigarette. “T’en veut-tu un? J’ai des menthols.”

She pursed her lips and cooed at the mention of the favored flavor.

“Je prends peut-etre juste un drag?” – May I just have a drag? I passed her my cigarette, somewhat surprised that my hand didn’t tremble when it touched her lips.

“Merci.”

Under the pretext of getting out of the wind, I moved to the lee of the lodge wall, and she joined me, complimenting my good thinking. That difference of a few steps also put us out of sight of the lodge’s large windows.

“Do you remember the first time we met?” I said in French, “You jumped out of the van with a cigarette in one hand and a lighter in the other, and I thought ‘that girl looks interesting’.”

I closed the distance between us and reached past her to toss the butt in the can. I stayed close to her.

“J’aime tellement la couleur de tes cheveux.” I told her. – I love the color of your hair.

Lame. Lame. I knew it and didn’t care. I needed an excuse to touch her. My arm felt like it weighed a thousand pounds but I lifted it and ran a hand through her bangs. My fingers traced her cheek and cupped her chin, ever so gently, enthralled by the creamy texture of her skin. Our eyes met, she smiled. I swallowed my fear and leaned forwards.

I kissed her hard on the lips; felt the ring piercing there pressed against my mouth. The tips of my fingers caressed her neck. Such simple contact, but it caused a chemical reaction that melted the barriers of uncertainty between us.

She likes me too. She likes me too. She LIKES me.

That single glorious thought coursed through my mind, and finally I knew she was thinking the same thing. Because she liked me.

We parted for a moment, long enough for her to utter “wait” and drop her purse on the deck. Then she returned to me and our arms encircled each other. Lips touched and tongues teased in an embrace two months in the making. We enjoyed a heavenly thirty seconds of smiling, laughing softly, and always kissing, until footsteps sounded on the deck around the corner.

When Andrea’s roomate Marley stepped into sight we were leaning on the wall, close to each other, with identical ecstatic grins betraying our celebration.

(* Combat Baby by Metric
** Calculation Theme by Metric)