PDA

View Full Version : Through Blue Eyes (Open- Intro thread)

Tuxlie
07-16-06, 07:00 PM
(OOC: Join in if you wish, this thread is merely an introduction to my character. Expect nothing exciting or big out of it, simply as a way to start my character's career in Althanas. If there is no responses, I'll turn it into a solo thread, which will most likely occur after a day or so of no replies.)

This tavern disgusts me. The very smell is dry and musty, and it seems like each breath I take is intoxicating me with some foul ale. Perhaps it is due to this form, some accute form of smell that I had not noticed in the past. Or perhaps it was simply the fear that I am experiencing from taversing into this world for the first time on these two frog feet. Regardless of what it is, I can honestly say I do not enjoy the thought of staying here longer than I hope to.

Of course, things do not always work out the way. As fate would have it, I'm lost here until I find some way to pay for my various expenses. I suppose I should make the best of the current situation, as there is little hope of improvement.

So at the door I stood, imagining the thoughts of others as they gazed upon my miniature stature. I probably was quite a sight, even though they could not look upon my true form. Bless this hood for it's ability to hide even the most ugly of creatures. Slowly my eyes scanned the inside of the old pub, this 'Peaceful Promenade', wondering exactly how much it would cost me for even one night in this dump. I will tell you this, I have never been so thankful that there was not a crowd of people in a bar as I was on this occasion. Aside from some drunk in the corner, a fairly loose-looking barmaid, and the chubby bartender himself, we were alone. Things seemed to be suitable so far...

The floorboards creaked as I made my way to the counter. The dim lighting made it hard to see- even harder due to the blasted transformation my eyes had been subject to. The silhouettes of bar stools and tables lined either side of me, like posts marking the path of which I was forced to walk. After what felt like ages, I reached the counter and gently tapped on it with my gloved hand.

"Excuse me...I would like to ribbi- er, request a room at your establishment." Thank the Gods that I had caught myself. I had received little more than an odd glance from the barkeep before he turned his full attention to me and leaned heavily upon the counter.

"Aye, what style room you want? We gots all shapes and sizes, for all folk!" was his boistrous response. The scent of cheap liquor grew thick in the air as he spoke, and it became quite obvious to me that he'd dipped into his stores more than a few times.

"Your cheapest...whateverib-" I stiffled myself with a cough, "whatever you have that costs only a few gold." I found it was quite a bit more difficult to hide my voice than my appearance. Nevertheless, the bartender did not seem to pay much mind to this, and he handed me a small golden key in exchange for the few measly coins I was able to scrounge up. Without further question, I grasped the key and quickly moved to a table. It was obvious to me that the next question would be if I had wanted a drink, and I can say in all earnest that drinking any of this man's foul bile was not something I looked forward to.

Yamihara
07-17-06, 09:13 AM
Ah, good ol' Peaceful Promanade. It had been such a long time since I've ever visited this rustic, if not foul-smelling, tavern on the outskirt of Underwood. Now... how long has it been since I've left this fair island?

I stood there, hands resting calmly against my hips looking up at the sign of the tavern as the late afternoon sun casted its orange glow across this dreary town. The place seemed to have never changed since that big fire several months ago from a rather impish... imp in a last-ditched effort to escape the enraged townfolks. The bartender seemed to be doing his job well in replacing all those charred planks and smoldering tankards of ale.

Still, it's nice to return from overseas after a long trip. There's no place like home.

"Well, for someone with no real home, anyways." Muttering under my breath, I chuckled dryly to myself at the thought. Such is the fate of an ex-noble thrown out from her own home by her very own father. Really, was I that bad-looking dressed up as a man? I had already done my part by putting on the best kind of suit any highcourt nobleman would wear, if not more elegant.

But what can I say? This is the life I had chosen to walk - a travelling girl clad in simple clothes worn down from extensive travel. Even then, my fiery red hair almost always never failed to draw attention to me wherever I go. That was something I needed to get to, but not for the moment. Right now, filling my groaning stomach was the first and foremost priority.

The homely tavern's oak door squealed as I entered, stepping lightly on the floorboards all the while looking for an empty spot in this usually raucous establishment. Strangely enough, the immediate greeting I received was not the ear-numbing songs of the drunken lumberjacks stirring up the whole place nor the dreary "My life's a mess" ramble of the farmers seated at the counter.

The place was deserted compared to my last visit. I wonder why?

"Hey, Mr. Bartender." I headed straight for the chubby man checking his stocks of liquor and immediately noticed the stench from his breath the moment I leaned against the bar."Umm, sorry. Anyways, where is everyone? Shouldn't the lumberjacks be filling this bar already?" I paused to glance about the brightly-lit tavern, noticing only a couple of drunks occupying a table at the far end, mumbling incoherently and bursting into laughter from time to time. It just didn't seem normal, but maybe something came up. Who knows?

"Those men are working overtime this time o' year, lassie." The slim barmaid muttered coldly as she walked by, placing an elbow on the counter and casted her vibrant green orbs about and sighed. "What with meeting the demands for the year's shipment of export and all. They should be filing in an’ drinking their heads off again later tonight. The taskmaster had to keep them until nightfall or else us townsfolks would be in the red. Poor boys."

Money, money, money. I guess that is what's keeping this little world go round. Still, it's a sad fate that's hard to break. All I could do was nod solemnly and ordered a bowl of warm mushroom soup. Boy, do they make it just right.

"Nuh-Uh. I ain't goin' near that guy."

I glanced sideways at the familiar sound of that waitress, complaining to her employer about a certain customer who just so happened to enter a few moments earlier. I knew eaves-dropping is such a bad habit so I tried to ignore it at first. Then again, being raised amongst the nobles was a really bad influence. Eaves-dropping was a hobby. My hobby.

"What, you trying to make me lose a customer or somethin?"

"It ain't that, Pappy. I don't know... he smells... odd."

Oh, boy. And did that poor waitress knew she didn't smell? I nearly had to restrain myself as a sheepish grin broke across my face. Lucky for me, she hadn’t noticed it.

"I don't know exactly, but that guy smells like... wet dirt or something. All I know is I don't wanna stay near that guy too long."

I took a peek from the corner of my eye at the cloaked figure seated alone at a nearby table, apparently the subject of this little discussion. A thought came to my mind and I mulled over it, considering the possibilities. Perhaps I can use this to buy me a free meal? Hey, who knows? Maybe I could get something more from this as well.

"Hey, guys. Sorry for eaves-dropping, but I couldn't help but wonder..." Spinning around on my barstool, I turned to face "Pappy" and the barmaid, my copper hair swishing idly behind me. "If I help you, would you help me? How about I play barmaid for a while and take orders from that guy over there, while you guys can pay me with that mushroom soup I ordered earlier. Simple enough?"

I didn't know what dumb luck was on my side - or maybe it was Lady Akashima watching over me - but the reluctant bartender and waitress agreed to my proposal. The bowl of soup must be something rather trivial to these fellows enough to let it go, but to me it's like heaven in my mouth.

So... here I am, walking over to a stranger hidden under his enormous cloak playing the role of a last-minute barmaid. Sure, I might lack the plumage of a true lady, but my looks and voice was more than enough to convince any guy. Unless they caught me out chasing after adventures, they would never know I threw that aside for a life of a tomboy.

"Hello, there. What would you like for a drink today, sir?" I began my happy chirp, putting on a facade of a happy towngirl working the afternoon shift before having to go home. "Or perhaps something to eat before turning in for the night? We can fix you nearly anything the Coronian market has to offer." I ended with a friendly smile, the apron brushing lightly against my long brown pants as three weary farmers entered the Promenade for a quick drink and revelry after the day's toils.

After I spoke those words, my mind protested the word choices silently. Hopefully the food would be anything available from the Coronian fresh market, unless that something was not your usual human dish to begin with. Oh, joy.

Tuxlie
07-17-06, 10:53 AM
The voice that filled my ears seemed somehow pleasant. One that was quite different from the groggy murmurs of the drunks or the scraggly talk between the barmaid and her "Pappy." I could not help but draw my large blue eyes to meet the face to which this tone belonged to. My eyes scanned the figure that stood before me, trying to register it all and match the words that had just left her mouth with her figure.

It was obvious she was a lady, any common peasant could see that. But there was something about her. Now, I have been to many a drinking establishments in my time, and I have seen the way most waitresses act. This girl had something different about her, something that made me suspect there was more to this encounter than simply her wishing to take an order from me. I ignored her question at first, leaning back in my chair to examine both the bartender himself and his daughter, granddaughter, whatever she be to him. They both appeared to look quickly away when they noticed I glanced at them, but I paid it little mind.

Leaning forward a bit and pulling the cloak a little over my face a bit more to further shield my odd appearance, I rubbed my mouth a bit in curiosity of the girl's visit. It was just then that I realized the strange odor I had been emitting. It must have been the frog side of me perspiring, because never before has that stench come across my nose. Every part that I could muster tried not to cough or choke on the smell, and I found myself to be quite embarrassed. No one enjoys being told they stink, after all.

I soon noticed that the poor girl was still standing, and I guess waiting for an answer. It was rude of me to keep her waiting, yes, and even more rude of me to stop her from fulfilling her duties. Still, you must understand the situation I was in, being relatively new to the area and being stared at by a few lowly bar patrons.

"Oh, I am sorry ma'am, but there is nothing really that you could offer me. Erm, at least not here."The last part of that statement I said a bit under my breath. I did not want to outright insult the pub, even if I did not particularly enjoy the place. "I am currib- er, curious, however, as to why you are requesting my order? I did not see you here when I first entered, and I am a bit suspicious of the two at the counter. So please, if there is any foul play afoot, let's have it now and not linger upon such things so that I may not have to hurt anyone." I realized the harshness in my words, and yes I will most likely live to regret them, but can you blame me for being a bit snippy when I am treated like some sort of weak peasant?

So after this interrogation, I leaned back in my chair and placed my hands lightly on my stomach, awaiting a response from the cheeky girl.

Yamihara
07-17-06, 12:04 PM
I stood there in a daze, rooted the spot beside the stranger's table. It was not really by the way how he responded, as bitter as it may seem to any other, but the manner he had given his explanation. I was sure Corone had the most variety of food grown anywhere on Althanas - saved for Fallien with their rich fields of exotic spices and strange creatures that dwell upon the dunes. But that goes to show how much this small nation has to offer in terms of mouth-watering delicacies and fine cuisine.

Or... maybe because he didn't eat what others in Corone would consider edible?

Still, I had to keep up my end of the bargain to the barkeep if I want that free meal I was hoping for. I had to get him to order something, even if it was as trivial as a stack of wheat biscuits.

Even so, listening to his intimidating phrase was enough to cause me to be on guard. It was not normal a tavern-goer shows hostility to the people serving them, unless they're off their rockers or too drunk for their own safety. This man looked and spoke like neither. Still, I had to be careful or else I would find myself in deep trouble.

"Umm... come again?" I giggled uneasily, trying to keep my smile on while my gut twisted in nervous tension. Boy, he was good. He knew almost right away I was not a regular barmaid helping out her "uncle" to bring in some money for the family. But what needed to be done must be done. "Foul play? Oh, no! No, it's nothing like that!" Oh, dear. I'm not really good with this kind of thing, it seems. Oh, well. Might as well tell him the truth before this bar would have to be renovated again for who knows how many times.

I sighed in disdain. Had I been able to keep up this charade a little longer, I could make him feel a bit more at ease than he was. But it looked like he's not so easy-going as I thought. "OK... here's the thing..."

"You're right, I'm not a barmaid at this place. I was never one, really. I'm just a traveller visiting an old tavern that I loved. Seeing it empty like this, I just couldn't help it but feel sorry for the owner and his employees and I just wanted to help out." My head drooped followed by another dejected sigh, crossing my hands over the white apron dotted with small circles of beer stains and grease. I held back the fact that I got a free meal from Pappy for completing this deal. Why would he need to know about it, anyways?

I looked up and tried to catch a glimpse of his face, only to find the deep shadow under his hood staring back at me. However, his sparkling blue eyes stood out from the abyss, sparkling like the finest sapphire the Akashimans were able to afford from the dwarven mines in Comb Mountains. I gazed at those orbs intently, mezmerized by their beauty. Convinced that this man was no thug on the run from the law.

No criminal had the eyes of a noble, even when casted down out into the streets like rats. No man without a kind heart had that kind of eyes.

Also, I could still tell that this man needed something to eat or drink. Then he wouldn't be sitting here in the tavern otherwise.

"Really, sir. You could use something to eat a bit." I swallowed hard as willpower kept me going, half-hoping that the end result would not be a sword through my frail body. "Maybe a small dish of roasted crickets? It's a local specialty."

Tuxlie
07-17-06, 12:28 PM
Her last words made my innards churn, wondering if perhaps she had seen my true identity. I wanted very much to storm from the pub in a dejected manner, but I realized that would draw much attention to myself. I cast off her suggestion with little more than a glance in the opposite direction before I turned back to her and noticed the look on her face. She seemed sad, as if she too had been cast out from nobility. Something about her almost cracked a smile onto my toad face. Of course, there were much more pressing matters, as to whether or not she was being sincere about her offer.

I sighed quietly and rapped my fingers on the table, drumming them in a random fashion. Perhaps I could order just one thing, just so that this girl might at least leave me alone.

"Do you have any sort of wine? Something rrrib- er, red...and light, perhaps, not too strong. And maybe a loaf with some cheese, but nothing more. Now go." My words again sounded cruel and spiteful, but I was still a bit distraught about her comment of the crickets. It seems I could not stop thinking about them...I lingered on for quite some time. The frog side of me was beginning to win over, and the delectable bugs did sound rather enjoyable. Bah! What am I thinking!?

Sometimes I could feel it more than others, the sensation of leaping high into the air or perhaps lashing my tongue out to grab something. It is disgusting, and a feeling I do not enjoy in the least. Coming from such a high standard of living and now being reduced to a lowly toad who enjoys the thought of eating crickets and insects, it is rather hard to swallow. It took all I could muster to force my mind onto something else.

I examined the bar once again. Still dimly lit, and rather hard to see, I could make out the few drunks in the corner beginning to play a game of chance. Something involving dice rolling and number calling. It did not look interesting in the least. I turned my gaze to the door. Others had begin to filter in, each looking for some relaxation after a long day of work. I respect any man who can make a living with his own two hands. Blisters and bruises are far more valuable than coins, and though I did not like being in the company of such folk, I could do little more than tip my hat to all the work they put in each day.

Forcing my eyes from them, my eyesight picked up a thin layer of gray dust lining just about all the tables. I had not noticed it on my own, but it seemed everything was coated with a thin layer of some sort of sawdust. It then became obvious to me that this tavern had once been a major hub of enjoyment. It was not always this run down, shabby alehouse that I now made stay in. What appeared to me as an ordinary tavern looked as though it was actually something quite more...a bar that had seen many unfortunate battles and was struggling to stay on it's feet after being broken down and tarnished so many times before.

It was at this moment that I felt a bit more remorseful for the way I had acted towards it. I still did not enjoy breathing it's musty air, or having it's stale stench filtered into my nose, but it occurred to me that perhaps the saying of one not judging a book by it's cover was a bit more prominent than I had thought.

Yamihara
07-18-06, 06:58 AM
I prayed feverishly the dish of roasted crickets did not offend the stranger. This dish was not exactly very popular with the locals either, most preferring the larger, meatier roasted giant locust grubs instead. I could never stomach these bugs, anyways, the mere smell more than enough to drive me to the opposite wall of this tavern.

I held my breath in anticipation while he mulled over the idea. I had expected him to suddenly yell in my face, sending me scurrying away for my life. He didn't exactly look like someone who would enjoy munching on these six-legged critters to begin with, but the wait was just unbearable.

Sighing a breath of relief when the stranger finally ordered, I quickly took down of the kinds of drink and food he wanted on the tiny piece of paper in my palm, noticing the odd noise revertebrating from under the hood as well. Had my ears deceived me? I was almost sure I heard a frog croak from under that cloak. Regardless, my job was done.

"Yes sir, one loaf of white bread, cheddar and..." Taking a quick glance at the stores of wine bottles behind Pappy, I noticed one kind that was particularly dry and light. It was the kind I used to have when I was 17, to which I'd love to sneak while my father or the butler was not looking. "Gisela Sparkling. Very good taste for a reasonable price." I ended my little banter with a sincere smile and headed off with the orders despite the rather cold response. I knew it as quite rude to brush off another living being the way that man did, but not everyone was used to treating other people with utmost respect. Some people gone through life living like kings and queens, mercilessly trampling on their servants' hands and feet with little concern for welfare. Others toil away under the unrelenting Sun, tirelessly providing everyone with fruits of their labor with little complaint. This man may have lived on the edges for so long, it was normal to be hard and unfriendly. The poor guy.

"That bottle o' Gisela Sparkling's worth 115 gold, lassie." Pappy stared at the name while the barmaid headed into the kitchen to get the strangers food ready. I jumped after hearing the price - surely it couldn't have been that expensive, could it? "Wha-" I quickly caught myself and clamped my mouth shut, whispering softly to the bartender after I had composed myself. "Well... couldn't you give him a discount, just a little bit at all?" That simple drink was worth more than I had initially expected. Then again, I lived in a mansion the size of a castle. Maybe I had the concept of "expensive" a little off.

OK, so I was off by a mile. Sue me.

"Sorry, kiddo. That's the bargain price for this kind 'ere. It's not often we get this anyways. The last shipment came in-" I let out a rude cough, stopping the chubby man in the middle of his speech. I promised the stranger that wine at a reasonable price. I was not about to go back on my words and serve anything else, be it more affordable at the expense of my pride and his trust. "I understand, Pappy. I guess there's nothing else for me to do..."

My hand crept towards my right hip, the katar dangling idly just under the short brown jacket I was wearing. Pappy's eyes followed my hand curiously, wondering what in Althanas I was about to do. After all, both of us were behind the counter and out of earshot of even the cloaked stranger. No one would know what was going on.

"Here you go, just as you ordered."

I chirped the way I had done earlier, slowly cradling the giant wooden platter over to the cloaked man's table. The warm bread and tangy cheddar leaving an after taste in my mouth with their pleasant smell alone. The smoky Gisela Sparkling balanced cautiously with a matching long-stem glass which was set down after the main dish had been placed on the table. My left arm started to cramp up, evidently from not having any experience of the catering business to begin with. Nonetheless I learned a little from watching the housemaids back home as they served the dishes with tireless effort. I guess it would take more trainging to actually pass off as one of them.

"That comes to a total of 30 gold pieces, sir." I stood attentively, waiting for his payment before palming it into my apron pocket. Just like what a normal barmaid would do. "Enjoy your meal, sir." I smiled and headed back to the counter, leaving the stranger to finish his meal in peace. The wet-dirt stench the barmaid had mentioned was not as bad as it seemed, but maybe that was because I was getting used to the life of a wanderer. I had lived with not having a roof over my head except for the blue sky above and the dusty road agaisnt my feet. Slowly, I believed, I was becoming more "natural" at looking like a peasant than a noble. Or ex-noble, for all I cared.

"Well, I hoped that about covers all the expense, Pappy." I sighed, giving the gold coins to the slightly groggy man. I guess it was worth it in the end - I kept my promise to the stranger by giving him an affordable bottle of red wine, paying a hefty 95 gold pieces to the barkeep in advance. That was certainly a high price for a simple bowl of mushroom soup.

The formerly melancholic tavern had now bloomed into its usual liveliness of drunk lumberjacks and weary field workers, singing and gambling with little care of the toils during the day. Life returned to the Peaceful Promenade the way I remembered it - the homely little tavern I had come to love as my temporary home.

"Hey~ Bonnie!" I burly, rough-looking man hollered over the growing din over in my direction just as I was untying the sloth strings of my apron. Naturally, I ignored him until the sound of heavy footsteps kept getting louder and louder. I paused from the task at hand and looked up, finding that hairy man staring down at me with a toothy grin. "Yea, that'll be you, red-hair sweetness." I coughed as the heavy stench of ale struck me across the face, batting away the wisp with my right hand. The next thing I knew, my wrist was firmly locked inside his gigantic vice-like grip with his puffy lips only a few inches away.

"You're a new face 'round here, ain't ya? Well, how about gimme a kissy-kissy as a welcomin' fee, eh?" That guy was right in my face, obvious from the flushed color of his face he was too drunk to think straight at all.

No way I'm giving this guy a kiss. No way in the Twin Gates of the Antifirmament I'm giving this thug anything besides a sound ass-kicking. Well, that is, until I can get my hand out from this frustrating grip.

There was nothing I could do for the time being, mere inches away from completely embarassing myself in front of a crowd and seconds away from going berserk in rage. Either way, things were not looking good. Asides from having to pay 95 gold coins for a single bowl of soup, I was about to be kissed by a complete stranger I had no slightest want to get acquainted with.

Tuxlie
07-18-06, 10:14 AM
The girl had seemed quite pleased that I had at least ordered, and I was more than willing to accept that. I was beginning to think that perhaps some food would do me some good- after all, a swordsman was nothing without a meal in his belly to keep his muscles strong and firm. The only problem was that I did not exactly expect a four star meal to be served in such a place. But, food is food, I suppose, and when you are in a situation like the one I am in, it is hard to be picky. Well, not so much hard, but inconvenient.

So as I sat there and waited for my food, I began to examine the few patrons that were making their way in. All a bit tired and looking forward to the bit of rest they were to be offered, some were admittedly a little more lively than others. A small group in particular, lead by a large, surly individual. Sleeves ripped off so that his muscles could be revealed, I was unimpressed when I overheard him telling his friends of the number of logs he had lifted that day. Apparently these men were lumberjacks or loggers of some sort. Not the most exciting of jobs, but I guess it gets them by.

My mind had drifted, and before I could even fully count how many men had filled each table at the bar, the waitress was returning with my dish. I could help but smile as she placed it down. The girl seemed innocent enough. Of course, as I had just taken a bite of the cheese, I almost choked when she told me the price. Nonetheless, I placed the coins in her hand gently and tried to seem more patient than I had previously displayed.

"Thank you kindly, ma'am. I apologize for my behavior earlier." This comment was of little use, of course, as she was already headed back by the time I found the manners to do so.

As such, my attention was turned back to the crowd. It seemed men had been lining up one-by-one to challenge the large man I had mentioned earlier to arm-wrestling contests. Alcohol flowed like a river through this man, obvious by his eyes and the sweat that was slowly starting to form on his brow. This went on for a while, the drinking, raucous laughter, and occasional smash as someone would fall to the floor under the weight of the man's muscle. Truly a barbaric display of talent.

I did not intervene, however. At least, not yet. I simply sat and ate my cheese and bread, a bit disappointed at the lack of taste it had in my mouth. It lacked a certain something...some sort of crunchy flavor to it that, while not familiar to my mouth, seemed to be expected. Bah! It is this blasted frog! I tried desperately to enjoy the taste of the comforts the pub had offered me, but it seemed now more than ever my interest was perked by the crickets she had alluded to.

Soon, however, crickets and food were the last thing on my mind. Just about to open the bottle of foreign wine, my attention was caught by the brute. He had stood up, and looked as though he was attempting to make a move towards the girl that had served me earlier. Now, it will sound cliche, yes I know, but I become rather annoyed at the sight of a man taking advantage of a woman, especially one as young as this lass appeared to be. So, being the noble man that I am- or at least once was- my hand quietly drifted to my sword.

"You! Lumberrrribit-jack!" The sound that my throat just emitted did not bother me for some odd reason. Perhaps I was too caught up in the moment. "Unhand that young lady. It is obvious to us all that you may have enjoyed a few to many warm comforts on this night. Now trust me, I respect the work you do, forrrri-" I coughed to correct myself this time, "for I understand that you put in many hours, trying to provide for yourself. But this barmaid has done nothing to upset you, and I believe it be rash of you to try and force yourself upon her."

I stood my ground firm, even though this man most likely stood a good seven or eight inches above me. I dared not draw my sword yet, for fear of starting a large ruckus in the tavern that had already seen it's fair share. Sometimes, though, conflicts are not easily avoided.

Yamihara
07-18-06, 11:02 AM
Just as that big ol' bear of a man was about to prick me with his dry, chaffed lips, my savior appeared. Well, it would be kind of nice to know who the said "savior" was if he hadn't hide his face the entire time. Nonetheless, his timely intervention saved me a whole lot of humiliation.

I wasn'ty exactly sure what caught that logger's attention, though. The fact that someone called him out or the odd sound mixed in with the speech.But that was enough to make the man turn his stinking face away from mine.

"Wha? Who's der prince farkin' valiant there?" He turned away, relaxing the adamantine grip on my wrist. But I was backed against the counter already by the time he was trying to plant a wet one on me, there was not a whole lot of room to move away anyways. Then again, maybe if I slowly slide my hand out from that... "Wha, hoodie boy playin' knight, is it? HAHAHAHAHA! What a larff!" The rest of his small gang, all rough-looking and equally drunk, bursted into hysterical laughter. I was just plain annoyed by their ignorance. Like what Mister Mysterious over there had said earlier, what had I ever done to them?

I guessed I was about to find out.

While Mighty Bear here was busy belching out his heart, my tiny hand slipped free from his grasp. The alcohol in his system must have been by the gallons as the guy realized he was holding air a full two seconds afterwards. By then, I was already to do some damage.

I crouched down just under the counter and pushed off the floor in a determined tackle, ramming my frail body against the giant tower of bone and muscle. Lucky for me this man was as drunk as an ass, or else he wouldn't have been thrown a good five feet into an occupied table filled with steaming beetroot soup and grilled sirloin steak. Serves him right for picking on this girl. Score one for the good guys

"Who do you think you are, loghead!" I had returned to my former, straight-forward self. No more hiding my brashness and fiery ego. My job was already done. "If you want intimacy, go get it somewhere else! This place is a pub, NOT a whorehouse!" Half-enraged, half-indignant by the way that beast-man treated me, I pointed a shaky finger towards the door. The last time a fight broke out here, the place was in ruins. I did not want to see the same thing happen again.

Even as I stood there, still wearing the waitress apron over my tiny physique, my left hand crept for the katar strapped to my belt in its holster. If he was still determined to come at me again, I would make sure he got what he deserved.

Tuxlie
07-18-06, 12:10 PM
I imagine my cheeks grew red (or whatever color a frog's would turn) when this man mentioned me being a boy playing at being a valiant savior. No one had ever mocked me in such a manner, and I was not about to let some common oaf be the first to do so. My hand cleanly slid Exthelion from it's scabbard, and I extended it in front of me. However, I was too late to realize the action that had already taken place in front of me. There was more to this girl than I had originally suspected. She had a fire going in her, one that seemed as though it was aching to burst forth.

I could not help but chuckle a little when I saw her actions against the all too jolly giant. As he crashed into the tables, a few of his compatriots rushed towards him to help. Undoubtedly, this was not going to be a minor altercation. My eyes slowly slid to the bartender, who had begun to brush his fevered brow with his apron. He knew, as well as the rest of the pub, what was about to take place. I cannot say I enjoy a scuffle like this, and I was hoping things could remain calm. But alcohol and violence mix all too often, with the same basic results.

It was not long before the drunkard was back on his feet, only this time his friend's had entered into the equation as well. While not thrilled with the situation, I was not about to let this girl be beaten by the four men accompanying the brute. She looked as though she could handle herself in a fight, I will give her that, but when the deck is stacked in opposition, things become much more difficult.

"You fouribbit, with the brute," their attention was drawn immediately to me, as well as that of their swords. "Do you truly intend to attack this girl, five on one? I mean, you have this strong man here, why does he need the help of you four buffoons to help him with his dirty work? Why do you not try me on for size? I may look small, but the same obnoxious confidence you hold in your heart, I shall turn it to fear." The words flowed easily from my mouth, and I soon found myself with a confident smirk upon my face. These were common lumberjacks. If any should hold doubts as to their ability with a blade, it should be them.

"Did ye just say ribbit? Be that what I 'eard!?" said one, groggily. The other three that were with him burst into a fit of laughter. The alcohol apparently made even the weakest of jests amusing. "What are ye playin' at boy? Ye thinkin' ye be some sort o' strong guardian o'er this 'ere lass! Surely ye can't be thinkin' straight, yarhahahar!" My face grew in frog-ish embarrassment once more at being mocked, and I began to swing my sword in a wide arc, loosening my arm.

Looking to the girl, I called to her. "You, red-haired madam! Do you care to take the brute whilst I fend off these four simpletons? I may have underestimated you at first, but together I can see us ending this conflict. And bartender, I apologize beforehand for any damage that might be done. I do not have the money to afford repairs for things which could potentially be broken, I promise you that, but you must understand that I should have to defend a lady in need."

The bartender simply gave me a cross stare and began to pour himself some ale, his hands shaking. While I guess he had seen this sort of conflict before, perhaps he knew a bit more about these lumberjacks than we did. Regardless, I was eager to match blades with someone. Not since my accident had I had a chance to do battle with any foe, so now that I did, I was not concerned with skill level or any other such nonsense. The fire in my own belly was simply aching to be let out, and who was I to deny it such a pleasure?

Yamihara
07-18-06, 01:49 PM
Oh, great. Now I've done it.

That big guy was not alone, a major detail I had overlooked - or rather, didn't care to take into account. Obviously, someone with that much guts would have along with him a gang of equally gutsy cronies to do his bidding. In this case, they were rough-and-ready lumberjacks armed to the teeth with wood-chopping axes and machetes. Those tools may have been used to hack through wood, but that also meant rending flesh would be a doozy as well.

This big bear, I could put up a fight with. But a five-on-one was certainly not my cup of tea.

Her knight in shining armor, his face still hidden under the veil of shadow, delivered a long-winded which reminded her very much of Duke Yamihara, her own father. Whoever this man might be, noble blood surely flowed through his veins. And by the way this certain stranger handled his sword, a fine blade in its own right, this man was no push-over when it comes to fighting.

"Thanks for the concern, mister." I only glanced at the gallant stranger only for a second, trying to focus intently on the gigantic form of the orchish lumberjack cracking his knuckles and grinning from ear to ear. "I can hold this guy down on my own. I think." Yeah, way to go with that "I Think" part. But was there left to think anyways? Nothing much except take aim, brace yourself and run like the wind.

Big Bear came at me with a head-on rush, crashing through the chairs with next to no hindrance. I would be lying if I didn't say I was scared stiff by the very nature of his opening attack. The scruffy mustache lending him the very image of a barbarian out looking for blood in a losing battle. Without a second thought, I jumped to my right and felt the hard oak wall bouncing off my back. A sickening crash of glasses and plates accompanied the sudden halt of Big Bear's trail of destruction. I stared at his cringed face, ugly yellow teeth showing through a nasty grin. Who knows what that guy was thinking, playing tag with me. I, for one, was not in the mood to find out.

"C'mere, Bonnie~!" Ugh, I hate that name. It's not even my name, for crying out loud! "Stop running away and face me, wench!

Oh, that really did it for me. Nobody called me a wench and not feel the consequences. Tomboy, sure, why not. Lassie, OK, I can handle that. Madam? Well~ If it comes down to it, maybe I really am. Wench? That's just going too far.

"Alright, Mister Rude Much!" I broke into a slow run in unison with the lumbering beast before me headed in the opposite direction. My katar fit firmly over my left hand and I steadied its bladenear my face. "You really should treat ladies-"

Riht hook! Was this guy really intending on hitting ladies?! Imbecile! I was more than prepared for that attack, the swing coming too slow and wide to NOT see it coming. I skillfully ducked under that punch, skidding to a halt just behind his over-extended elbow as the colossus hairy fist struck empty air. "-a lot better than THIS!"

I swung my left arm out and around my back, turning to compensate for the awkward angle I had put myself into. There was no need to cut this man up that badly at all, the iron clasp on the back of the katar more than enough to crack a few new holes in his face. The swing came out wide as well, but not slow like that dumb oaf. Mine rushed up to meet his face quick and precise, striking clear across his lower jaw with a gut-wrenching twack!. I hoped to maybe give this man enough pain to be considered a really painful jawbreaker.

As if that wasn't enough already, I followed up on the attack with my own right hook just as he staggered backwards, sending Big Bear of the Underwood Lumberjacks toppling head over heels onto the floor. But these things didn't come without consequences.

"Yowwow oww~! My hand!" The shock of bone against bone was just numbing. Waving my right hand around, I backed away from the downed brute and sat wearily at an empty bar stool near to where the little bout had unfolded. I thought I might have broken a bone or two in my right hand, or maybe it was just a feeling. Hopefully, it was not the former.

Tuxlie
07-18-06, 02:10 PM
I grinned at the girl, as she had some spunk in her. However, I knew my own problems were not far off. I had my own to contend with, and I was more than ready for the blood to spill. Slowly a slid towards them, as if I was trying to draw them around me. They followed like sheep, each taking one side of me. It was not the first time I had been cornered, and I was prepared for such tactics. What I wasn't prepared for was the manner in which they first attacked.

The lumberman which had spoken to me made his first move, swinging low with his large axe, while another swung at me high with a broad hammer. Both came at a rather inconvenient time, and I found myself in a rather troublesome position, but I knew a the blow of a hammer would be less painful than the cleaving of an axe. So, using the slight jumping ability I had obtained from my frog transformation, I jumped and allowed the hammer to catch me in the stomach. I did my best to lean away from it, and as such only received a small push of it as it came around. Still, it was enough to blow me back into a table. These attackers were a bit smarter than I had thought.

I took a moment to watch them laugh and applaud one another, and slowly the made their way towards me. It was time to prove that I was no slouch with a blade either. Dusting myself off, I stuck my sword out to the side and hooked it on a glass. Quickly I tipped it and swiftly brought my sword up, balancing the cup in the end. With a quick flip of the wrist, it was sent into the head of one of my enemies, landing square in his temple. The fool fell over, drool slowly emitting from his unconscious mouth. I smirked a bit and rushed forward, for the others had become a bit enthralled with the state of their companion. Grasping a tankard of ale as I ran I splashed it in front of me and slid down upon it, allowing myself to go sliding across towards my foes.

It was not hard for me to get low to the ground, as a crouch is a much easier stance when you are part toad. So, using this, I took my blade and sliced the kneecaps of one man, which sent him tumbling. I knew I had struck my target as I slid past the other two and I heard cries of pain. The triumphant lumberjacks were no longer so excited as they had once been. They stared at their bloody and battered companions before turning back to me with anger. It was now myself against the two original who had dealt blows to me. The hammer would go first, and then I would be able to extract my revenge against the man who had mocked me.

Things were not quite so easy, however, as both took a bottle off of two tables that had become adjacent to them, and smashed the ends off. So now I was up against two very unstable lumberjacks, one sword against a hammer, an axe, and two broken bottles. My odds appeared as grim as before.

Again, though, I relied on my resourcefulness. I rushed forward in what appeared to be a foolhardy attack, but was forced to reel due to a powerful blow from the mallet that had come crashing down in the floorboards just in front of me. Regaining my concentration, I stood and ran forward. Both men threw their broken bottles at me, and I slashed the glass away with ease. It was difficult to get in close when both were together, and as such I had to draw them apart. Sliding around them, I rushed around in circles until they'd both become a bit dizzy.

Now, I know you will most likely think my tactics brutal and unkind, but you must realize the position I am in. These men would eagerly kill me if they had the chance, so who was I to not return the favor? I did not wish to kill them, only incapacitate them for the time being. So doing the best I could, I gathered up a handful of the broken glass- never more thankful for my glove. With all the force I could, I rushed forward and tossed it by the drunk men's feet. By now, both were extremely dizzy and were stumbling around like buffoons. It was not long before the glass had pierced their soles and they were lying on the ground in pain. I feel pity for men who put in such hard work, only to forget their manners when given some time to relax.

Stooping over them, I felt obliged to make sure they were both done. Unfortunately, one had a little more fight left in him, and he swung his hammer towards my chest. Luckily, my armor took the brunt of the blow, but at the same time, it knocked me against a few tables. My armor had cracked, and worse, my hood had slid off. My frog-like face was revealed, and I scrambled quickly to cover it once more. The man's eyes widened a bit before he passed out from pain, blood seeping out from under him.

Yamihara
07-19-06, 01:11 PM
I didn't know what to think. I didn't know how to react. I didn't even know what I was looking at when the ominous cloak fell off my knight in shining armor's head.

He- It- Whatever he, or it, was, the green head looked nothing close to human. I had expected a good-looking man hiding under that mysterious cloak. Maybe I had my hopes up, I wouldn't really know. But nonethelss, even as the toad-head stranger recovered his hood, my eyes remained wide with disbelief.

The image of a rugged, blue-blood knight casted down into the streets by the corrupted nobles faded from my mind. What freak of nature could spawn such a creature, I would rather not find out, but nonetheless he saved my livelihood. And honor. Even though the man I once looked forward to meeting was indeed a giant toad in human disguise, I was thnkful for his intervention.

"Uru? Dat knightboy's a toadie? I turned around just in time to see Mister Big Bear rising slowly from the mess of beer steins, rickety chairs and collapsed tables, pointing towards the toadman with a ridiculous grin splattered all over his bruised face. Boy, can he sure prick my nerves. I don't mind rough and rowdy men, having gorwn up with the boys of my housemaids, but rude men were never my favorite. Without care of consequences, I grabbed the oak platter previously used to hold the stranger's dishes and flung it at the brute, letting the piece of wood sail through the air like a whirling disk of silence. "BWAHAHAHA!!! TOADIE, TOADIE! I NE'ER THO-"

Bull's eye. I may not be good with hand-to-hand combat, but throwing things here and there was another story. The saucer slammed square across his bridged nose, knocking the man unconscious and sending him collapsing into the mess for a second time. It would not be for another two hours, I bet, before the darn idiot wakes up at all. I do hope he likes the new, bridgeless nose I gave him. Heehee.

Still feeling guilty for drawing the stranger into this whole mess, I threw aside the apron and walked over to the toadman, nervous as to what he might say to me after all the problem I had caused.

"Hey, I, uh..." I smiled sheepishly, not sure what kind of face to make. I had seen his true face, so he might not want to talk to me at all. But I had to apologize. It was my fault his identity was exposed, after all. "Sorry about that... I really shouldn't have pulled you into this..."

A lump moved up and held fast inside my throat. I couldn't say I wasn't ashamed of my rash judgment. I didn't know what else to do but just stand there with my head bowed in dishonor. Oh, what should I do?

Tuxlie
07-19-06, 03:42 PM
My face grew enraged at the laughing that had ensued from the lumbering oaf. Had he no honor? Had he not just seen me easily conquer four of his friends? It took all the willpower in my heart to stay my blade. Oh how good it would have felt to cleave this barbarian's head from his neck. What else did he deserve? He had mistreated a lady, and now he was insulting someone who was obviously of more value than his drunken self. It sounds selfish, yes, and perhaps it was the nobility in me, but nothing outraged me more than the thought of this dumb giant mocking me.

"Be happy I doth not sever a few choice members from your boat, woodman! Bite your tongue!" I shouted in rage. I was making quite a scene trying to readjust my hood and hide my identity once again. Finally fixing it and shielding my face, I saw what the girl had done and felt somewhat annoyed with her. Was this not her fault that I was now labeled a 'freak' to many around here as well as my own home. I knew deep inside that it was not, yet the blame I felt needed somewhere to rest.

"Do not speak to me," I said softly, trying to contain my temper. The next words I choked were even harder to calm. "I do not blame you...though I wish I could. I should not have made such a ruckus, and now I am paying the price. Barman!" I turned to look at the portly figure, staring at me with his eyes wide. He looked pale and sweaty, like a greased pig of sorts. It made my stomach turn.

"I cannot pay for these damages, as I said before. I am in your debt, if you so choose to accept it." The man simply stared and pointed towards the door before mouthing a few curse words. It was my curse, being labeled as a frog man. Sliding Exthelion back into it's scabbard, I turned on my heel and made to the door. "In any case, thank you for the comforts. Perhaps I am not so sorry for what has happened to your pub, if you are not more willing to accept one as strange as myself."

Feeling mightily downtrodden, I knew there would be some place where I was accepted. Perhaps one that was less filled with the corrupt and judgmental minds of men.

Yamihara
07-21-06, 06:42 AM
I solemnly backed away as the enraged traveller snapped coldly, my head still bowed in utter shame. Things would have gone better had I not dragged him into this. Things would never degrade to this level had I taken care of that big ol' bully earlier than this. The stranger would never had to reach in and intervene, exposing his ridiculous predicament in the process. I would never have to bear this... guilt... for being his harbinger of mockery. But what could I do now to alleviate the pain of outcast - shunned and laughed at by the world - that now weighed upon his soul?

I heard nothing besides the hushed murmurs of the other drunkards within the tavern as the cloaked man made his way for the creaky door. I should have followed him - tell him how sorry I was for causing such a mess and that I wanted to make up to him, one way or another. I wanted him to feel better. Make him feel welcomed and at ease. Make him feel accepted by the others like I had been accepted into the simple life of a wanderer. Even if I would have to brave the fiery wrath of Myra the Seal of Fire in order to finally make him acceptable - to make him accept me as someone he could trust, I would not hesitate.

The noisy squeal of the door announced his exit and I immediately looked up in sudden realization. I knew I should've followed that man outside. How was I supposed to find him if I didn't know where he went? How was I supposed to apologize to him if I couldn't find him?

"W- Wait!" I cried, rushing for the swinging oak door as it closed behind the cloaked stranger. The influx of beer-happy men, including the clutter of chairs and tables as a result of the short brawl which took place, barred my path. There was no time to weave around the sides if I was going to catch up with him. No time for a detour.

As soon as I reached the low barricade, I planted my hand on a nearby table and launched myself into the air, clearing the fallen chairs with relative ease. The landing was another story and I ended up painfully twisting my ankle, slamming into the floorboards with a high-pitched yelp. Struggling onto my good foot, I carried the rest of my frail body towards the door and flung it open into the late evening crowd outside.

The air was turning chilly as Autumn drew close, turning the colors of the trees a lovely shade of yellow and red. People hurried home for dinner with their loved ones, some returning from the evening market with fresh bread and fruits. Everyone was out having a happy time. But I knew there were at least two people here who were not enjoying their day one bit, one of them being me.

I did not see the ragged hood of the travelling toadman as I casted my eyes about the busy street. Nothing a clear sign as to where the man could have gone to. But how could he have disappeared so fast? I lost sight of him for only for a minute but he was nowhere to be found.

With a heavy heart, I limped out into the street and flowed with the crowd, hoping I might catch sight of him in the chaotic sea of heads, hats and hoods. Minutes came and went, weary legs carrying me farther and farther away towards the edge of this quaint little logging town. Minutes turned to hours. The Sun disappeared behind curtains of red and yellow.

No sign of the hooded stranger who had helped save my pride.

My stomach protested while my feet kept their unrelenting march into the darkened forest, reminding me of the 95-gold mushroom soup I had neglected to feast on back at the Peaceful Promenade.

((OOC: Subtract 95 gold coins from my stash before calculating EXP and GP gain. Thanks.))

Osato
08-30-06, 07:45 PM
Through Blue Eyes

~~Introduction~~ 6
Both of you exemplify a strong and easy to follow introduction that gives both insight and a strong preface to the topic’s and idea’s to be displayed. I am personally glad that you somewhat stated not only where you were from, but also why you were there.

Tuxlie – very interesting character, style, and opening to the thread. I would have preferred it be a little longer, maybe a little more detailed, but very well done nonetheless.

Yamihara – You have a very good exposition in this thread. I enjoyed it a little more than the opening post for “A New Chapter”, which I suppose was only lacking the description of where you came from and who you were (hence exposition).
~~Setting~~ 6
Wonderfully set, though slightly forgotten at times. I think you both did a good job.
~~Writing Style~~ 7

Yamihara – I like your style of writing in this thread, you do very well with a first person, active voice. Only a few mistakes here and there. Same for you Tuxlie!
~~Character~~ 6

Both of you display very good character through not only personal actions and reactions, but also through the way you move and your body language. The overall affect was heightened quite well by the dialogue and setting also…
~~Dialogue~~ 6

Tuxlie – I love your dialogue, very interesting and yet somewhat of a medium to higher diction that works well with the setting and style of writing you use.

Yamihara – good use of dialogue and showing character through its use.
~~Strategy~~ 5
~~Rising Action~~ 5
Well done.
~~Climax~~ 5
~~Conclusion~~ 6
Well done, though somewhat sudden. It would have been good to know a little more about both of your characters, though what I gathered from the actual roleplaying adventure was quite enjoyable.
~~Wild Card~~ 7
Very good job to the both of you, this score is mainly because I loved the character interaction! Hope to see something from both of you in the future sometime.

Score
59!
Rewards!
Tuxlie – Gains 465 exp and 125 gold!
Yamihara – Gains 465 exp and 30 gold!

General Comments

Yamihara – Good to see you again so soon, though I suppose this could be considered a little late.

Tuxlie – I love the character, very interested by it and I can’t wait to see it again sometime.

I must apologize sincerely for the time it took to judge this. Admittedly I rushed through the actual comments, but not through the actual thread (so I judged it with limited comments :()… so, if you have any further questions about score’s received or would like further feed-back I could give you more via PM or IM (whichever you prefer). Again, very sorry!

Zieg dil' Tulfried
08-30-06, 08:09 PM
EXP added! Yamihara leveled up!