PDA

View Full Version : Character Naming Tips: something I stumbled on

Sorahn
06-02-09, 12:58 AM
Like the title says, I was browsing along on Deviantart and came across these handy tips for making good character names and thought I'd share it with all of you. Now, I think she's speaking more to aspiring novel writers with something other than a fantasy setting, but most everything still applies (especially the "don't make your characters' names impossible to pronounce" rule).

http://bekkia.deviantart.com/art/Why-I-Hate-the-Letter-Y-124415690

Raphai
06-05-09, 06:11 PM
Don't use overt symbolism.
I'm talking to you, Raven Shadowsdale, emo girl who's always picked on.

and

Names to avoid, due to their overuse:
Ace
Rose
any form of Rain
anything like Cat
anything meaning "beautiful" (I'm looking at you, Mrs. Meyer)
almost anything meaning "dark"

These are two perfect examples of amateur fiction writing. Not saying you're a better writer than people who use these, but you do sound more professional. I agree with this man (person) a hundred percent!

Caden Law
06-20-09, 10:33 PM
Agreed, 'cept for the part where I don't see that many Aces running around. Tons of Roses, Rains, Cats, Beautifuls and Darks though.

Viola Conda
06-20-09, 11:41 PM
Personally, using the name "Dark" is a lot less common than Black, Gray, or things associated with it.

Godhand
06-21-09, 12:05 AM
That's because Black and Gray are legitimate last names and Dark just sounds like you're trying too hard.

Raelyse
06-21-09, 08:24 AM
That was a really interesting read and I agree with some of the stuff there, but in the end it was just one person's opinion. I do think that Harry Potter in a fantasy setting is a poor example since the characters were essentially from England, not Middle Earth.

Visla Eraclaire
06-21-09, 09:40 AM
Something that article leaves out and might even discourage if read wrong:

It's worth noting that in the historical equivalent of the "generic fantasy period" that much of the writing here takes place in, last names were frequently given by others as an honorific or recently chosen based on a family's profession. If your name doesn't immediately designate your family's work, or some deed you or your recent ancestors did, there's an implication that you're established nobility, the sort of people that would have a last name that traces far enough back that it doesn't readily mean something.

For the children of commoners this probably means names like Cooper, Miller, Mason, and so on. For people who are warriors of renown or their children, I see no trouble with names like Foehammer, or any noun phrase last name that designates what someone or their recent ancestors did.

Raphai
06-21-09, 08:15 PM
I see no trouble with names like Foehammer, or any noun phrase last name that designates what someone or their recent ancestors did.

Neither do I, nor most people which is why it's so cliche and irritating. Everyone uses this method of naming it seems.

Viola Conda
06-21-09, 09:40 PM
Ya, but like Visila was saying, in the traditional setting for such a time period that was how last names were made. While it may seem irritating, it's really only because it's how it was used to be done.

Visla Eraclaire
06-21-09, 10:27 PM
Neither do I, nor most people which is why it's so cliche and irritating. Everyone uses this method of naming it seems.

Actually I see surprisingly few people on this site that do it. The only situation where I see it ALWAYS ALWAYS done is that if anyone makes a dwarf, it's almost ensured that his name is going to be

Gruff Sounding First Name - Dwarf-related Noun Phrase Last Name.

But I think fantasy society has basically just decided that's how dwarves roll...

Terror's Thrall
06-22-09, 05:44 PM
But I think fantasy society has basically just decided that's how dwarves roll...
Actually, dwarves roll down hills just like everyone else if they're pushed :P

That is an interesting piece. I agree with some of it, though the aforementioned noun-names was something i noticed too...