PDA

View Full Version : A Grave Problem (Solo)

Ilsiad Cimitarra
06-09-09, 09:21 PM
Ilsiad crept off the boat he had stowed away on. Night had fallen and he needed to find shelter in the city before daybreak. Dropping off the boat he landed silently on the dock, clinging close to the shadows. A group of men stood idly on the dock not noticing anything amiss. Any one of them could have been dead at a moments notice, but it was too early to begin stirring up trouble in a new town.

The bar was dimly lit, and the men who filled it paid more attention to their ale than the company around them. The women in the place didn’t even seem to be trying too hard to catch the men’s attention; already succumbing to a night of empty pockets.

Ilsiad stepped up to the bar and ordered a pint of house ale. The bartender returned with a pewter mug.

“Know anywhere private I could stay the night?”

“Well I aint got no rooms here. Full up for the night,” said the bartender.

“Doesn’t need to be a room. Just someplace dark where one could find some rest.”

“I guess you could sleep in the basement. Nothing down there but storage. Shouldn’t cost you too much.”

Ilsiad slid his hand onto the bar top. Moving it back to his mug the bartender found a neat stack of coins. “Will this cover it?”

“That’ll about do it.”

“I like my privacy. So as far as anyone else is concerned your basement is still only for storage.”

“Whatever you say. You showed me enough coin to keep me quiet.”

Picking up the mug he turned to find a seat in the corner. The bartender cleared his throat. “I believe you paid me for privacy. Now about that ale.”

With a sigh another coin was produced and tossed onto the bar.

“Name’s Belddan. Not that it seems you’re one for carin’.”

Ilsiad pretended not to notice as he walked away.

Sitting in the corner Ilsiad allowed his legs to stretch. He took slow sips from his mug enjoying the flavor and feeling looser than before. The ship hadn’t been too comfortable and this was the first opportunity to actually relax.

Dawn was slowly approaching. It could be felt by the slight increase in temperature it brought. Rising from the corner Ilsiad made his way to the basement. Making sure that nobody else was looking he slipped through the door. The only person who saw was Belddan.

Ilsiad Cimitarra
06-12-09, 04:46 AM
Ilsiad lay on the stones of the cellar looking through the slats of the floor above. He was restless that day, and now was waiting for the light in the tavern to turn to the unnatural glow of candles.

When the time came and he made his way to the cellar door way. Opening the door slightly to make sure nobody was coming he silently slid into the bar. The place would be full again soon as the sun hid further below the horizon.

Ilsiad grabbed a mug of ale from the bar and sat in the corner. He was hungry, but feeding would have to wait until later. First he had to find a job, some kind of adventure on this island.

Patrons began filling the bar. Voices like white noise as everyone speaks over one another. Sitting in the corner sipping his beer Ilsiad listens. Waiting to hear of some problem to be solved and gold to be paid out.

The door to the bar opens and a man of higher status than most walks into the room. Filling the room with power, striking fear in some men now hiding in their beer. The man was a constable, part of the guard by the look of him.

Ilsiad watched him enter the tavern fighting the urge to pull the hood over his head. A guard in this type of tavern was an odd thing to see. Especially if no arrests were being made and no fights had broken out.

The guard slumped onto a stool at the bar and a mug was brought to him immediately. He attempted to pay but Belddan refused his money. Seeming to finish the mug in one gulp the guardsman put it down and asked almost inaudibly, "Have anything stronger?"

Belddan came back with a bottle and small glass. As the bartender was walking away the man pulled out more coin and dropped it on the bar. "Leave the bottle.” Belddan eyed the guard then set it down.

The guard took down two shots in fairly quick succession then slowed himself. Ilsiad knew by the guards look that an opportunity to get paid was at hand. He bided his time in the shadows waiting for the proper time to approach. Finally a job working for an honorable person; possibly the kind that does not get a person run out of town.

Emptying his mug Ilsiad walked to the bar and set the cup on the counter. Belddan asked if he wanted another. Ilsiad simply shook his head in the affirmitive, watching the guard from the corner of his eye. The barkeep came back with a full mug.

“The man with the bottle. What’s his name?”

Belddan turned to look at the guard as if he didn’t know who he was talking about. “Ahh him. He’s the constable. Name’s Arroyo.”

“What’s got him looking for answers at the bottom of a glass.”

“You know for a guy who likes his privacy you sure are nosey. What’s it to you anyway?”

“I’m a man who, let’s just say fixes things. If he’s got an issue I may be able to help.”

Belddan looked at him with a questioning eye. “Word around here is that there has been a series of grave robings. Lot of people are real upset about it. Think there is some kind of black magic going on.”

“Black magic? How so?”

“The robbers haven’t just been stealing gold and other valuables. They’ve been stealing peoples parts as well. Nobody knows why, and it’s starting to make people feel uneasy.”

“And you think that’s why you think Arroyo is in here drinking like a fish? Shouldn’t he be out there catching these people?”

“They have been at it for months and there hasn’t been a single sign of how they are doing it. The robberies are happening right under the nose of the law.”

Ilsiad nodded to the barkeep and laid down his coins to pay for a drink. Thinking twice about it he laid down a bit more coin. “I’m going to need the cellar another few nights.”

“We have rooms available right now. If you want got one with a big window, real nice.”

“The cellar is fine.”

Belddan shrugged and picked up the money from the bar.

Walking around the bar he selected a seat two stools away from the constable. Not much time remains before this man is going to be passed out and found in a gutter somewhere; possibly dead. Ilsiad cuts right to the chase.

“Arroyo. I hear you are have a grave problem.”

Arroyo sets down the drink he was about to bring to his lips and turns. “An’ where you hear somethin’ like that?” Arroyo is slurring badly enough that the words barely make it out.

“It doesn’t seem to be a secret. Looks like nearly everyone knows about it. The question is why aren’t you able to do anything about it?”

“The bastards sneak right under us.” Arroyo swings his arm so hard he nearly falls off his seat. “Magic I tell you. I don’t get it. Nobody knows what happens. It’s like they know where we are. Then they just walk around us and dig.”

Arroyo grabs the shot off the bar and throws it back hard. He holds onto the bar for balance while he faces the ceiling.

“Maybe I can do something about it for you. If the price is right that is.”

“You? I don’t see you doing much about it.”

“I’m not the one who has been trying for months without even a clue as to what is going on.”

“Oh yeah? And what is it that you are gonna do for me?”

“Let’s just say I have a set of abilities that would be very useful to you. Now I’m not asking for money up front. Make it worth my while and I will find out who is behind this for you.”

Arroyo eyes him up and down. He shouts to the bartender, “A glass for my new friend . . .”

“Ilsiad.”

“A glass for Ilsiad. He’s going to solve all our problems.”

Arroyo pours Ilsiad a drink and passes it down to him. Ilsiad stands to get closer to Arroyo.

“A toast,” says Arroyo. “To your abilities.”

Ilsiad raises his glass and takes the drink down. It tastes awful but he doesn’t let it show on his face. A man like Arroyo is simply testing him.

“Well at least we know you can drink,” Arroyo says and begins laughing. “Alright here’s what we can do. You catch somebody digging up graves and bring them to me and I’ll pay you 300 gold.”

“What if I can get you the person behind it?”

Arroyo smiles at him. “You got brass I’ll give you that. Okay 300 for the low life and another 400 for the head guy.”

“Sounds fair enough. Meet me here in two days time just after sunset. I’ll have more for you by then.” Extending his hand in a friendly gesture Arroyo just stares at it.

“Heh, I don’t shake hands.” Arroyo grabs the glass from in front of Ilsiad and pours another drink. They drink to the job at hand. Ilsiad would have rather passed, but this is what you did to get in close with men like Arroyo.

Belddan comes up to Ilsiad and takes his glass. “I heard the whole thing. If you need a I can say I witnessed the deal for 50 gold. You know just in case he forgets.”

“Oh I’ll make him remember,” Ilsiad said with a smile rising from the bar.

“Where are you going? There is still some left.”

Ilsiad turns towards Arroyo without breaking stride for the door. “I’m going to go eat. Haven’t had a decent meal since I got off the boat. I’m starving. Remember two days.”

Ilsiad Cimitarra
06-16-09, 04:22 AM
Ilsiad left the tavern and went out through the streets, attempting to get a lay of the land. Somewhere out there in the dark is somebody who knows something; it is just a matter of finding the right area. Part luck and part good timing will get you all the information you could ever want.

Pulling the cloak over his head Ilsiad keeps to the shadows. People walk on by not noticing somebody watching them. They speak without realizing they are being heard. It’s always easier to get to know a place by overhearing something you shouldn’t have been privy to.

Walking through the streets sounds come from a particularly dark alley. A man and woman are down the alley where nobody seems to notice them. Ilsiad slides into the alley undetected to get a closer look. It is obvious from the confrontation that this man means to harm her. Where there is crime there is a path to other criminals.

Silently walking up to the man neither notice Ilsiad until the last possible moment. Ilsiad tears the man off of the woman. The man stumbles across the alley hitting the wall of a building a few feet away. Ilsiad jumps onto him and grabs him from behind.

The woman lay there on the ground staring at them both. Unsure of whether to run or stay put. Wary of this new attacker she finally stands. Ilsiad speaks first. “Get out of here and go home. You don’t want to see this.”

The woman turns and runs down the alley and disappears from site. Leaning in closer to the man Ilsiad keeps his mouth close to his ear and whispers to insure that they are not overheard.

“You seem like the kind of guy who could give me some information. What do you know about the local crime rings?”

“Why should I tell you? You’re just some random guy screwing with my night.”

“That’s fair,” Ilsiad says tightening his grip, “I guess I could just kill you here and now, save myself the trouble.” Bringing one of his throwing knives out Ilsiad holds it to the mans throat. “I’m used to using these from a distance, but it should do fine to cut through your throat none the less.” Ilsiad presses the blade hard enough to draw blade, but not enough to cause a mortal wound.

“Alright, alright stop messing around. I’ll tell you whatever. Don’t know what you want with me I’m not some boss. I’m just a small time crook.”

“You seem like you could be somebody's pawn. Pretty ballsy what you attempted in this alley. I mean it isn’t that well hidden. Somebody has to be protecting you.”

“I’m part of the Scourge. The guard turns a blind eye to us, and we try and stay underground as much as possible.”

“I see you consider raping an innocent woman in an alley keeping your cover.”

“Her? She was a whore. Would have sold it to me if I had the coin for it. She had it coming to her.”

“The crime business not paying too well? You should be able to afford the company of . . . something at least.”

“I haven’t had a score in a while. Been waiting for this big job.”

“This big job wouldn’t happen to involve robbing somebody’s grave would it.”

“I don’t know shit about no grave robberies, I —”

Ilsiad tightens his grip and digs the knife in again. “Than I guess you aren’t any use to me.”

“Okay, okay. I might know something. A grave is gonna be robbed tomorrow night. I’m part of the team that’s going to dig it up. Do some grunt work and get paid. I’m supposed to stay out of site until the job happens.”

“What time tomorrow?”

“Just after the sun goes down we’re going to meet in the woods outsida town. From there we’re supposed to go into the graveyard. I don’t know what grave all I know is where to meet. We go to a white rock two miles north of the city. From there this guy, um, Lazarae is gonna take us to the grave.”

“And why are you following this Lazarae guy. Can’t you guys do this on your own?”

“Yeah we could, but this guy is like a magician man. If you go out with him you’ll never get caught. He could steal something right out from under the guards nose. He’s got like a sixth sense for em, can smell em comin’ or somethin’.”

“What happens if a member like yourself doesn’t show up?”

“Come on man I told you everything I know man. That’s gotta be worth something.”

“Answer me, what happens?”

“They go on. I told you I’m small time. This guy says if anybody is late or missing he goes anyway and we don’t get paid. He says it has to be the time he tells us.”

Leaning close enough to the man’s ear that his lips rub his ear as he speaks Ilsiad whispers, “I hate rapists.” With that he sinks his teeth into the mans neck. Feeling the warm blood wash over his tongue Ilsiad’s hunger is quenched. After feeding he cuts the mans throat. Now it looks like any other murder. No evidence that a vampire is in the city.

Ilsiad Cimitarra
06-22-09, 03:21 AM
Can't believe it's been a week since my last posting. Getting used to a new work schedule. This is short, but I wanted to get this in to progress the story a bit. Will hopefully have more tomorrow.
Ilsiad awakes on the tavern cellar. Stretching, he rises from the ground and moves towards the tavern door. Reaching to his side an herb is produced from a leather pouch. The taste is bitter and salty. Stepping through the door the sun feels hot and produces an instant feeling of weakness. Without even looking at the barkeep Ilsiad makes his towards the exit.

Stepping out of the door he pulls on a hood and hides any exposed skin beneath the cloak. Walking becomes harder, but at least he is not dying. Ilsiad makes his way towards the white stone described by the scum the night before. With his strength sapped from the sun, it will take a slight bit longer than normal. The journey should be completed just before sun down.

Staring at the stone the sun is just about to slip below the horizon. Searching for cover a tree can be seen a few yards away that is still fairly full for this time of year. Slowly climbing the tree all remaining strength is lost as a suitable spot is discovered. Silently Ilsiad waits for the grave robbers to arrive.

Ilsiad Cimitarra
07-02-09, 04:46 AM
Night fell over the forest. Finally out of the woods emerged two men chatting idly as they walked. Coming to the white stone they sit down and wait. Time passes and they begin to grow quiet, having nothing left to say to each other. As time passes on they begin to look nervous.

"Were we late?"

"No there is no way we could have been late."

"Well where is Dulsimer? He is always the first one to arrive somewhere. Knowing him he was camping out here last night just to make sure he was the first to arrive."

"No way he probably got distracted with some woman and forgot all about it. You know what a sex fiend he is. Always after the ladies."

"Well then where is Fasar? You think he would be waiting for us so we could head out straight away."

"You worry too much. Do you really think Fasar arrives anywhere besides exactly when he plans. That guy knows shit in advance, like a sixth sense or something. He wouldn't arrive until it was time to go so he wouldn't have to waste his time."

From the woods appears a large man. Ilsiad's interest is piqued by his arrival as it instantly shut's the other two up.

"Weren't there supposed to be three of you?" Fasra asks.

"Yeah, but we don't know where Dulsimer is."

"His loss and more work for you. Let's go."

The trio walk past the tree in which Ilsiad sits. Waiting until they are out of ear shot Ilsiad drops from the tree silently and begins to follow behind. Slowly tracking them as to not arouse suspicion Ilsiad sticks to the shadow of the forest. A ways down the track the three stop.

"Wait here. I have to make sure everything is setup and ready to go," says Fasar.

The other two wait at his command. Neither speak and they instantly calm their breathing as not to be heard. Ilsiad stays in place not moving a muscle, keeping his breath quieter than theirs. If you did not know better you would not have thought that any of these men had been there.

After a time Fasar returns and waves the other two to follow him. As they walk past he grabs them by the shirts and gives them a signal to stay. He walks in the direction of Ilsiad. He comes right for him and stops five feet away. Sniffing the air and listening hard Fasar is looking for something out of place. Ilsiad keeps his composure and steadies his breath. He makes sure that he doesn't allow his body to move, not even to twitch involuntarily. One slight noise could be his demise.

Fasar reaches out blindly in front of him and grunts. Seemingly satisfied Fasar walks back and brings the other two with him. Ilsiad waits until they have gone and breathes a sigh of relief. He allows them to get a bit ahead as they are now at full alert. The smell of them lingers in the air and they aren't concerned with covering their tracks. It should not be an issue following them.

Ilsiad counts to 100 and then walks after them. Entering the graveyard he can feel death all around him suffocating him. There was once a time he would fear a place like this, but now there is no point. If he ever ends up six feet under he is likely just to dig his way out.