PDA

View Full Version : Finals: Whole Glory vs. Whispers in the Wind

Shadowed
06-17-09, 11:38 AM
Here are my thoughts; let me know if you agree or want something changed.

Quad #1, I'll post first, then NightCast, then Petoux, then Mik. Quad #2 will be me, then Petoux, then Nightcast, then Mik - we can continue along like that for however long this takes. Sound good?

Petoux
06-17-09, 03:19 PM
Hmmm ... I was planning this:

Mik, you, me, Night ...

you, me, night, mik

Good?

Shadowed
06-17-09, 05:08 PM
I would prefer the opening post. I'm almost done writing it already.

Petoux
06-17-09, 05:59 PM
*Sigh* fine.

NightCast
06-17-09, 06:53 PM
Sounds good to me. Shadowed, give me a call, I have some plot line ideas to throw at you.

Petoux
06-18-09, 10:53 PM
Wait a minute ... what about Miks input?

Shadowed
06-18-09, 11:03 PM
It's time for the round to start and he hasn't weighed in, so that's his loss. My post is ready to go once the thread is open.

Petoux
06-18-09, 11:07 PM
Did you get my pm about the arena Shadowed?

Shadowed
06-18-09, 11:08 PM
Yes.

Petoux
06-18-09, 11:11 PM
And .... ? You got an answer for me then?

Lol

Shadowed
06-18-09, 11:12 PM
The answer's in the arena prompt.

Taskmienster
06-18-09, 11:17 PM
I opened it. Go for it.

Petoux
06-18-09, 11:46 PM
That didn't help, for it's still unclear to me.

Will u just tell me ...

Maybe a better explanation would help.

Please be nice and do so ... thanks.

Who is next by the way?

NightCast
06-19-09, 12:01 AM
That didn't help, for it's still unclear to me.

Will u just tell me ...

Maybe a better explanation would help.

Please be nice and do so ... thanks.

Who is next by the way?

Petoux, we are fighting on the topmost branches of the trees.

I am. Post up by 2 am Saturday morning.

Mikeavelli
06-19-09, 01:25 AM
I've got a post ready whenever it's my turn to post.

Post order isn't a big deal for me, yo.

Petoux
06-19-09, 05:44 AM
Mike...

Quad #1, I'll post first, then NightCast, then Petoux, then Mik. Quad #2 will be me, then Petoux, then Nightcast, then Mik - we can continue along like that for however long this takes. Sound good?

I'm assuming we are going for this order k?

NightCast
06-19-09, 10:19 AM
I'm assuming we are going for this order k?

Petoux, we are fighting on the topmost branches of the trees.

I am. Post up by 2 am Saturday morning.

Shadowed
06-19-09, 10:21 AM
Petoux, it's in the damn arena description. What part of 'the tops of trees' do you not understand?

Taskmienster
06-19-09, 10:22 AM
Shadowed, please remain civil.

NightCast
06-20-09, 12:36 AM
Erm, yeah, my apologies, I got a late start on finishing the draft of the post tonight and my editing is going to have to wait till tomorrow. The draft is done, but the editing is going to take a bit more time. As I'm in Philly tomorrow, it won't get done until about 12 or so tomorrow. I apologize.

Petoux
06-20-09, 12:40 AM
Don't apologize man ... we all have a 3 day lee-way between posts. I'll put it this way ... that's much better activity then the past two rounds combined that me and my partner has had.

As long as you have it up and not wait for 6 years like last round, we'll be good.

:p

Shadowed ... not what I meant ... just forget it

*sigh*

Stop trolling and flaming ... thanks

Shadowed
06-20-09, 12:46 AM
I still don't get how you can think we're fighting on the ground, so forgive me if I'm confused.

Petoux
06-21-09, 04:15 AM
My post is done ... all I have to do is do some editing and polishing.

Should be up mid to late Sunday. Monday early morning worst case scenario.

Expect it up very shortly.

NightCast
06-22-09, 12:18 AM
Alright, so I see you all are busy little bees. Sorry, but you're not going to get a post out of me at this hour. Guess you'll have to wait till tomorrow or the day after, depending on how work goes tomorrow.

Petoux
06-22-09, 10:54 AM
Shadowed, based on what you said in your first post in this thread ... am I next or is Night? I want to make sure on that.

NightCast
06-22-09, 04:36 PM
If you want to go so shortly after posting last time, you have my approval, but best to still wait for Shadowed...

EDIT: In any case, I'm either claiming this spot or the one immediately following. Sorry Mik, you have no say. D:

Shadowed
06-22-09, 05:05 PM
Petoux, if you want to follow the order I outlined beforehand, go for it.

NightCast
06-22-09, 11:14 PM
Petoux, you need to let me know like right now what you're doing. Because I have to have a post up within two days otherwise.

Communicate, please.

Petoux
06-23-09, 12:53 AM
Night go ahead ... then mik will. SOrry, was busy.

NightCast
06-23-09, 09:32 AM
Dammit. So one day of posting got wasted.

I'll try to have something up tonight.

Petoux
06-23-09, 10:50 AM
I'll ask them to give you an extra day ... sorry

:(

Taskmienster
06-23-09, 04:49 PM
Miscommunication and mix-up noted. No worries.

NightCast
06-23-09, 11:01 PM
Heads up Shadowed, my MSN is not working again.

Thanks Task and Petoux for the consideration.

NightCast
06-25-09, 11:53 PM
'Scuse the double post.

I purposely left that huge attack vague, especially in regards to your placement. This will give you a lot of room to either die, live, whatever.

It's not the best thing I've written by any means, but it's there.

Mikeavelli
06-28-09, 11:23 PM
Using the actual ooc thread this time. Sorry about starting up in the Waffle house last time, my bad.

Also, I love you guys for taking my side and supporting me and such, but anyone except myself, Nightcast, Shadowed, Petoux, and maybe a mod, if it's absolutely necessary shouldn't post here.

There's a great deal of confusion over the Anti-magic field.

I draw a lot of inspiration from D&D, and the ring is no exception. It's based off the Anti-magic field spell, found in the D&D SRD (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/srd/spellsAtoB.html)

The relevant line to the present discussion would be:

"A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that). The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned. These creatures’ spell-like or supernatural abilities, however, may be temporarily nullified by the field. Dispel magic does not remove the field."

Creatures like those described are innately magical, depend on it to work, and would die if magic ceased to exist. Anti-magic field doesn't kill them. There's a weak, illogical justification for this of them being "self-supporting," (which should, in theory, also apply to weapons, armor, etc.) - but the real reason is "game balance."

That is, quite frankly, a good enough reason for the ring not to kill ya'll outright.

Shadowed
06-29-09, 07:57 AM
Works for me. That's really the sort of definition I needed, so thank you. And yes, I agree that no one besides the people in this round and the staff should be posting here.

NightCast
06-29-09, 03:54 PM
Also, I love you guys for taking my side and supporting me and such, but anyone except myself, Nightcast, Shadowed, Petoux, and maybe a mod, if it's absolutely necessary shouldn't post here.

I third this.

Petoux
06-29-09, 11:17 PM
I also agree.

Anyway, my post is done ... all I have to do is polish it up, post it, and then it will be whoevers' turn next ok?

Soon people, soon.

:D

Shadowed
06-30-09, 04:00 PM
So I'm a bit confused. Sara can jump fifty feet, plus whatever distance the branch already fell?

Petoux
06-30-09, 09:08 PM
1: She jumped after it fell

2: What are you talking about fifty feet?

a.: In nowhere that I saw, did you say you were fifty feet in the air in your post.

b.: I never said how far I jumped, so where did you get this information from?

Shadowed
06-30-09, 09:33 PM
1: If you mean as it was falling, add ~50 feet to the distance it already fell. If you mean it had stopped falling, you're on the ground, a damn long way away.

2:

A flash of bright illumination pierced the cloud of darkness that surrounded the misty night, illuminating two small persons atop a branch dozens of feet below and to the side of the Lawmaker.

A split second later she was but a barely visible blur of shadow and light as she leaped off the burning branch before it fell, faster than the they eye could detect, towards her foe's neck protected by Hopper's magical ring radius.

Also, you either edited your post or I misread it. The branch started to fall the second the lightning hit it, and NightCast's attack went off after the branch started falling. So for you to have commented on the attacks, then pulled out a dagger and jumped, the branch would have been an additional hundred feet below, give or take.

Shadowed
06-30-09, 10:06 PM
Oh, one other thing. You didn't even mention NightCast's attack. You would have been outside the radius of Mike's anti-magic ring when it hit you.

Mikeavelli
06-30-09, 10:40 PM
This doesn't really come across clearly in either of our posts, but Sara's quite a bit faster than 'Hopper is. Even if she reacts after, she should be able to keep up with whatever he's doing.

By the same token, she should be able to stay within 30 feet of 'Hopper, and thus remain protected from Nightcast's Attack.

[hr]

That said, how is acid coming out of the wound when 'Hoppers ring is still active? "Honuse doesn't automatically die in the ring's radius" doesn't translate into "automatic or unconscious abilities still work" - it's illogical lolmagic for game balance, not a loophole to exploit.

Shadowed
06-30-09, 10:50 PM
His body houses a number of compounds already formulated in case they're needed. All that happened was the toxins released themselves from wherever they were being held, and wound up in the bloodstream - this is exactly the same as the human body naturally producing, say, adrenaline. His genetic code is altered to do this naturally when a foreign body is found within his own body. It's no longer controlled by him, and thus not magic - it's a normal body function.

Anyways, about Sara. You apparently were climbing the branches to reach me before the attack even went off, so let's say you were halfway up - that would put you somewhere around thirty feet above the branch you were originally standing on. Petoux wrote in his post that Sara was just standing there through the attack until jumping up, which means that you were well beyond thirty feet when the attack hit.

Petoux
06-30-09, 11:08 PM
Ok, true ... but what if you include Saras' enhanced speed (50% faster than a human being) mentioned in her profile.

Being 50% faster and more reactive than humanly possible makes that difference right?

Plus .. where do these assumptions come into play with the height measurements anyway?

Just curious.

About the acid thing...

Shadowed ... your character has acid for blood like in "Aliens"? Or ... does it change temporarily to that? I wasnt quite clear on how the acid "appeared" myself.

NightCast
06-30-09, 11:09 PM
That said, how is acid coming out of the wound when 'Hoppers ring is still active? "Honuse doesn't automatically die in the ring's radius" doesn't translate into "automatic or unconscious abilities still work" - it's illogical lolmagic for game balance, not a loophole to exploit.

Honuse is not human, he is made up of different shit.

If you were facing an amoebic creature composed of acid you couldn't activate your ring and go "lol acid neutralized."

Chemical make-up and reactions caused by one's body is not "lolmagic."

Plus .. where do these assumptions come into play with the height measurements anyway?

A flash of bright illumination pierced the cloud of darkness that surrounded the misty night, illuminating two small persons atop a branch dozens of feet below and to the side of the Lawmaker.

Part bolded for reference.

Note that "dozens" is plural.

Petoux
06-30-09, 11:12 PM
Who is next anyway to post out of curiosity? Night?

NightCast
06-30-09, 11:13 PM
Yes.

Shadowed
06-30-09, 11:23 PM
Petoux: I described Honuse as several dozen feet above and to the side of you. The rough estimation to that is fifty feet. Now, the branch you are on is falling; let's be generous and say it was falling for only three seconds before you jumped. An object at rest that is now falling accelerates at roughly 9.8 m/s, so at three seconds that would be 29.4 m/s fall speed. You wind up roughly 199.92 feet below the point where you started. So, you're looking at 200-250 feet of space that you have now jumped - even moving at 50% the speed of a human, there's no way you could do this.

As for the acid, his body has built-up pockets of various substances, such as corrosives, paralytics, and adrenaline. His DNA was permanently altered to release these substances automatically when a certain criteria is met - in this case, a foreign object in his body resulted in a corrosive filling his bloodstream. The corrosive was already made and stored in his body, so no magic was used to create it while in the anti-magic field, and no magic was used to release it.

Mikeavelli
07-01-09, 12:34 AM
There's what you're saying here...

And there's what you're saying in your post:

generating a caustic acid within the veins.

These are different statements.

Shadowed
07-01-09, 12:39 AM
Fixed for continuity. Thank you for noting the slip.

NightCast
07-03-09, 10:14 AM
Post up.

Petoux
07-03-09, 04:43 PM
Whos next?

Mikeavelli
07-03-09, 07:27 PM
Yo!

Shadowed
07-03-09, 07:43 PM
Keep the same posting order unless we decide otherwise.

Petoux
07-04-09, 02:10 AM
Which order is that?

So ... is it Mike, or someone else?

Shadowed
07-04-09, 09:46 AM
...Look in the thread? It was me, NC, Mike, then you.

Mikeavelli
07-04-09, 07:12 PM
4th of July weekend is not conducive to writing.

Should be up either Sunday or Monday.

Shadowed
07-04-09, 09:47 PM
36 hours left. If you don't think you can make it, I have no problem with you switching places with Petoux, if he thinks he can get something up faster. Whatever works for you guys.

NightCast
07-06-09, 09:09 AM
Yo, yo, yo. You've got 63 minutes to get that post up. My post was up by 11:11 am on the 3rd, so you need to get yours up posthaste.

Petoux
07-06-09, 10:28 AM
Hurry up Mike!

Shadowed
07-06-09, 12:46 PM
Too late. Finish up the quad, and the battle is done.

Petoux
07-20-09, 02:22 AM
*Sighs*

Still waiting on the judgment. I hope it's done soon.

I'm just glad it's finally over with.