PDA

View Full Version : greatest swordsman

Reiko
07-18-06, 03:13 PM
“Wow what a city you have here! It’s built completely on the water, why would anyone do that.”

The man was clearly a merchant that was new to the place by how in awe of the city of Tako Point.

“Yup, have to use ferry to get everywhere if you don’t want to swim and most don’t.” Replied the gambling master who wore no shirt and had many tattoos of dragons about his chest to signify his job. “Uh miss? You come here to play. Need some sake or wine?”

Kit perked her ears as she entered the tavern and gambling den. It was actually pretty quiet since the only one to talk while she entered was the game master and the merchant. “Sure why not, never played before.” Kit smiled as she waged her three tails while Inari ran in and sat down beside her mother and looked at the ornate tattoos on the gambler.

“Mommy, whatcha doin?” She asked while her tail thumped against the floor.

“It’s a dice game sweetie. I guess if the dice will roll odd or even and if I guess wrong they take our money but if I’m right they give me money. Thought it’d be fun to try.”

“Can I play?” Inari asked sweetly with her tail thumping against the floor and her eyes shinning with a master beggar’s charm.

“Why don’t you just watch. Gambling too much is not healthy.” Kit smiled as she tugged Inari’s tail to make her sit down. “How about some juice for my child.”

“Sure thing.” The gambling master clapped his hands and yelled out “Juice!”

One of the fellow gamblers smiled towards Kit and Inari. “Dice isn’t a game for women. Why don’t you two do some dancing? Make more money and women have much more fun.”

Kit shook her head as she twitched her tails, not liking the comment about women. But the Head Gambler laughed. “You two are foxes, I see your tails. No cheating now.”

“Of coarse we won’t.” Kit smiled but it faded when she looked at another man entering the tavern. He looked like trouble as he carried himself with arrogance; he walked as if to kick those in his way aside and would cut down those who don’t resist.

“I see we actually have some cuties among the dogs.”

Kit knew that this wasn’t going to end well.

~*~

Next thing that Kit knew she was on the wooden floor above the peaceful waters while holding Onitachi over her shoulder. It was quiet as the only motion from the fox ronin was the snake dancing of her tails. Her eyes could not leave her opponent.

The man was a gambler and a swordsman that looked handsome if he did a better job of cleaning his self up. His brown eyes and hair had a deadly coldness to them and his smile was of dark humor. But the way he held his sword perfectly still in a position that was strong and flexible, he was no amateur.

Still I’ve fought good swordsmen before: I can take him! Kit thought as she let a glance go over to her daughter. Inari’s blue eyes sparkled like the sea but sadness was there and the blush of her cheeks still remained from when the swordsman touched her, leaving Kit to throw hateful words then to draw her blade then to challenge the man to an honorable duel. No one but the man Inari Chooses can touch her like that and I’ll show this man why. Kit smiled darkly as her canines went over her bottom lip, enough waiting, the swordsman would pay for his crime.

“I am Sho.” The dirty swordsman spoke and Kit answered.

“I am Kadenzaa.” Kit said as she lost her smile, her face was dead serious. this is your last moment of life! Kit thought before she went forward.

Kit made no wasted motions as her legs pumped forward and her blade went strait forward in ready for an upward circle swing. She wanted as powerful strike as was safe to use, the Onitachi might be able to break the steel weapon if she put all her power into it. It would be a difficult cut to dodge or parry, a lesser swordsman would be dead.

But this man was no lesser swordsman and he blocked Kit’s blade with little effort. The sound of Clashing blades made Kit’s heart skip a beat from shock and clearly not love. She wanted the man to pay for treating her daughter like that.

“Not bad, couldn’t counter that one. Didn’t expect such an opening from a woman.”

Kit tried to free her sword for a second strike but he matched her movements to keep the blades locked and temporarily harmless.

“How about giving me a night with you and then I’ll let your daughter go and you won’t have to die and I’ll have a bit of fun. Such a swordswoman should be better than any of the whores around here.”

Kit growled at the words. He was comparing her to a whore! He had to pay twice for that! But the second paying would be in the hands of the Kami. Kit focused her magic to summon the magical leaves that would enshroud them both. How well would he fight when blind? Kit was sure she would win.

The vixen swordsman made no hesitation in her attack, for she was sure that Sho would be on the defense. Any good warrior would work defensively when robbed of the senses he was used to and Sho seemed like he was that kind of fighter.

But Kit felt it in her heart and the way the leaved swirled and crackled as steel echoed through it. Was she right, what if she wasn’t? If she were this move would kill her and her opponent to leave Inari alone. Kit changed her mind and stepped back, a force caused her to lose her balance and the cascading leaves that were slowly falling to the ground and dissipating were simply blown away while Kit fell on her butt. It had been a long time since she was so clumsy but a cool breeze between her breast and navel revealed something. Sho’s Blade had cut a gash in her kimono and pure luck and doubt had saved it from the skin, by a millimeter.

The swordsman was too good, Kit should have cut him even with the pull back but her stood without a scratch on him, not from his smug face to his fast feet. He was unreal.

“You maybe a fox, but you’re playing with a wolf, the king of wolves. You don’t have a chance.”

Kit sadly felt her heart agree, she moved her eyes to see her child shaking. Kit was doing this for Inari and Inari was all that mattered to Kit. Kadenzaa then moved her eyes to flick at the master swordsman. He might actually be the best. Still it was time to escape. Kit was sure.

The vixen kengo conjured up the fiery leaf of her firestorm spell and sent it strait at the swordsman, he had to dodge no matter how perfect he was and Kit fled towards her daughter as the leaf burst into the burning whirlwind.

“Mommy, what are you doing?” Inari asked as she felt her mother take her in her arms and ran at full speed.

“Don’t think you’ll get away little fox.” Sho cried out as he charged after Kit and her child, Kadenzaa stopped and let her child go as she sent the Onitachi to cut the planks that made up the ground that was held up above the water. The wood creaked and fell away sending the tow foxes to back off. It would slow him down but both foxes ran down the wooded streets until they were out of breath and safe

Tanuki
07-18-06, 06:22 PM
Sake and Sweets, the bane of Juro. He laughed, collecting his winnings again from the dice game played on what seemed like every single corner of Tako Point. His cup, though many would also call it a small bucket, of sake sat beside him, half full. He had ordered the drink early in the game, and it almost seemed that as he drank more, the more he also won. It was nothing more than a simple trick on the shape shifting raccoon, but an effective one nonetheless. The busiest of the small gambling shops also happened to be one of the largest, with enough people going in and out that their game runners were almost required to be crooked. The sake just helped because of the thin form he had on, and the game master belived him to be getting slow, thus not caring so much if he cheated.

A rice ball, seasoned with sugar instead of salt, was picked from the plate in front of Juro, who promptly bit into it. He smiled widely, shaking his head and declining to join in with the next roll of the dice. He stood, grabbing his winnings before any of the people around him could show off their quick hands and fingers. The human world had far more perks than most of the immortals cared to admit enjoying. One of the more unspoken topics was gambling, especially given the lack of income that they received. Even though they said they followed the human ways and knew the difference between them, there was a constant joke rippling through their ranks when one ended up mugging a king to play cards at his castle.

He walked outside to the open air, the oddly fresh air hitting him full on from the river. The last time he had decided to go to one of the mortals cities, he was in someplace they called Alerar, and the soot and general dirtiness there wasn't the most pleasant to behold. Tako Point was better than that place, and the tanuki knew it, even though he would have to move again. He grinned wildly to himself, not bothering to even pretend that he was drunk like inside the gambling hall. There he was just a simple lucky drunkard who came in with a little money and went out with a lot more.

Juro breathed in deeply, his mind beginning to wonder. There was still time before sunset, though how much he didn't know, and with that a little time before a couple more redeeming ideas would become available to him. He turned around, grinning widely once again at the thought of the night. Then was when the mortal world truly came alive. Dancing, drinking, dining, theiving, and other fun things only turly became available at night. The day had some good things too, but beyond the occasional mock sword fight and fool putting on a show with juggling and tumbling.

He drummed his fingers against the wooden railing, feeling the slight ebb of magic that helped the entire walkway to resist the corruption and softening by water. He smiled, also feeling the slow degrade of the magic. It was a nice thing, to be able to feel the slight things like that. Juro only had a talent at sensing when he wanted, and only when he touched. It was enough to guess that the city was old, older than he had guessed for a floating town. A small tune could be heard somewhere down the wooden path, though the tanuki's attention was instantly diverted a moment later. They stopped in front of him, which caused the immortal to raise an eyebrow at them. They were out of breath, pretty and frankly looked to be a good pair to talk with for a bit, maybe even pass some time before something else could come up. The tanuki grinned, taking the few steps to distinguish himself to the two girls. It was a small shame for him he didn't look at them too closely.

"You two alright?"

Reiko
07-19-06, 02:57 PM
“Did we lose him?” Inari asked her panting mother.

“I think so.” Kit said surprised how winded she was, he had really tired her out. I can’t believe I ran away! Kit’s honor had caught up to her and made sure that Kit would scold herself for running away. But it was for Inari! Kit’s id replied in a way that would shut the super ego up.

“Good that man’s really scary, I thought he would kill you.” Inari shuddered with her last words as they came out. She thought she would lose the mother who loved her and the only thing that seemed to remain the same in her life.

The two fox girls were not alone as a man asked if they were all right. He had the look of a young fisherman in tales, Large and handsome and Athletic. But Kit smelt something funny on him, there was the scent of sake and something else, something that Kit could place it.

Inari felt something strange from him too but didn’t think on it but she did answer first, being the one who didn’t have a hard fight before running away. “We’re fine, we had to run away from this crazy swordsman. Mommy tried to fight him, off but we ended up running away.”

“Inari…” Kit said under her breath as her child said a little too much. Couldn’t she keep a secret? “Well I’m Kit and this is my daughter Inari.” Kit decided to try and salvage some face with some introductions and not try to hide the fact. “Yeah we were running away from this swordsman, he’s quite the letch. Still he’s too good for me.” Kit couldn’t believe she said that, she thought there was no one that she wouldn’t at least have a fair chance to win against but here she was running away. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Something told Kit that maybe this man could help, he was more than a fisherman that he seemed and maybe that thing could help her. She knew that she would be facing the swordsman again and the next time she would win.

Tanuki
07-20-06, 09:22 PM
The two were not the worst looking for mortals. The thinner of the two catching the tanuki's eye a bit more than the red haired one. Partially because of the larger one's ears, which remined him far too much of a kitsune. Though, he had only spied a single tail, and thus he at least was safe for the time being. Those kitsune were a gold piece a dozen, and probably wouldn't be employed by a ninetails. The shorter of the two reminded him of the cat creatures. Nekos or something or other.

"Call me Miles," Juro said, using his old name. It was lamost always the same name, much less confusion that way. Whenever he need a last name, it usually depended on the area. In this particular case, it would have been Rivers. "I'm going to assume that this swordsman guy you're talking about is Sho, or go or Moe or something?"

Almost as if to answer the immortal's comment, a shout was heard over the crowd. the shape shifter watched as the people began to slowly spread a good distance away. He didn't hear the whole of the shout at all, but enough swears littered it that told him something.

"Anyways, why don't we leave this area for a bit. It seems to me there may be a bit too much noise," Juro smilied, taking both of them by the hands and pulling them towards the noddle shop that was near the gambling house he just exited. They entered, and thusly hid themselves. He smilied, directing the two towards some seats before ordering himself another drink. "You two want some sake? I can just get a bottle or two if you want. It may be a bit before he'll lose sight of you two."

Reiko
07-22-06, 02:21 PM
Miles seemed like a nice fellow and wanted to help as well. Kit was definitely happy with some help and that he wasn’t going to sell her to the swordsman. Though he did know Sho’s name, which caused a problem with the crowd as they recoiled. At this rate she would be caught again but thankfully Miles had a hiding spot in mind and he led them to an Udon shop that had a lovely smell of cooking noodles.

The place wasn’t too busy for a late evening and seemed like a good hiding spot at the moment, and Kit was feeling a little hungry too. “Yeah some Sake sounds good and some noodles too since we’re here.” Kit said with a smile.

Inari sat with a smile as she looked at the people and twitched her ears to try and ease drop on their conversations since she was a little bored but no one was in much a mood for talking. “Um Miles… Mind if I ask what you do? You remind me of those fishermen in the stories that live a pleasant life then when something goes bad they become heroes and beat up bad guys with paddles.” She giggled at that last part, she loved those stories for some reason and miles remind her of them. But he had some magic about him and Inari dearly wanted to know that, but she couldn’t ask. It’d be too rude.

As all restraints always did they gave the drinks first and Inari looked at them a little bit. Normally Kit never ordered sake for Inari and also rarely for her self. “Uh mom, can I have some?”

Kit thought awhile, she didn’t want her child getting drunk or anything like that but the child probably wouldn’t like it anyways. “Ok sure, just don’t drink too much, it’ll make you sick if you do.” Kit poor her child a cup.

“Ok!” Inari chirped and drank it. “It’s warm and tastes funny.” She giggled but while the funny taste was one she seemed to like to Kit’s surprise. Hopefully the younger fox wouldn’t drink too much.

Kit then thought about Miles, he seemed to look at Inari more than the older woman. It was rare because most people preferred Kit and she had more presence than her child and they were attracted to her more for some reason. Well if he didn’t try anything funny, Mile would be fine. Nothing wrong with liking somebody more than the other.

Tanuki
07-27-06, 08:55 PM
The tanuki, though nothing about his manner or his appeance would say that he was one, laughed at the girl's statement. It wasn't often that he heard things like that. Depite, it was actually a bit easier to see from the girl's prespective. A handsome, mysterious man just saved them from another who had rape and pillage on his mind. He drank the small cup with the warm sake in front of him, a bit unused to the small amount after drinking straight from the bottle for so long.

"That's one I haven't heard before," the immortal said to the girl after his laughter subsided. "I'm not too big a fan of work really. Prefer a bottle of sake, maybe an apple and a good book to it. When I have to, I'll make repairs around her to the docks, maybe a chair or two. Pays a lot better than you expect. I've only been here for a month or two though."

Miles poured himself another drink as the noodles came from the people there. They were plain things, but easily some of the best on this particular pier. The boy took a bite from his noodles, slurping them somewhat noisily as he did so. The immortal wasn't the best with using tool to eat, though it was a lot cleaner than his paws. He blushed, muttering for the two girls to excuse his rudeness for a moment.

"So how did you two end up get to be on the bad side of that guy?" he asked them after another bite of his food. The immortal didn't often eat. Not did he have to. Immortality had its benefits, though most of his concealed girth didn't come from sitting around and staring at the mortals with their tasty creations. "You two seem entirely too nice to go out of your way to pick a fight with someone who obviously looks like he could hurt one of you."

Reiko
07-28-06, 01:23 PM
Kit ate her noodles while trying to be lady like but ended up slurping like miles anyways. She couldn’t help but smile when she realized that her eating degraded further to start making the same mess. Still the noodles were very tasty and this was much better than getting cut to ribbons.

Inari had taken to eating the noodles as well but sometimes they’d slip out of her chopsticks and back into the bowl and she giggled with good nature about the little slips and even when she got some of the food on her kimono.

“Um Inari, I think you had enough sake.” Kit said as she took the bottle and poured it into her cup to drink with the food. Her daughter was getting a bit too tipsy than Kit liked. Well she probably wasn’t old enough to drink right anyways.

Miles brought up the topic of Sho again and Kit lost her smile. “The pervert touched Inari and I wasn’t going to let him get away with it.” Kit hated the
Fact that he was a better swordsman than she was, it wasn’t right. Weren’t great swordsmen supposed to be pure of heart samurai and knights that would fight for a lady’s honor and not to grope her breasts? “It led to a duel and I ran away, couldn’t leave my daughter alone.”

Kit was looking at the ground in shame. She ran away from a fight for her and her daughter’s honor. She had dishonored them both.

“It’s alright mommy.” Inari smiled lightly as she fell into her mother’s lap in order to comfort the woman but it forced Kit to reach around and stop some her noodle bowl from toppling over.

Kit looked to miles and managed a shy smile. “Thanks for dinner and the hiding spot, I’m glad someone would help us.” Kit bowed slightly but not much since her child was holding on to her torso.

How long would they have to hide, probably until morning? Maybe a room would be needed, would Miles need to hide to for helping them. Surely if the swordsman found out he would kill the helpful man. “I think we might need to hide until morning, do you know any good places for a room?” Kit asked as she gently stroked her daughter’s soft hair.

Tanuki
07-30-06, 10:09 PM
"Don't mention it," the tanuki replied, smiling from beyond his raised glass. The bottle of sake that the three friends drank from was still a bit more than half full and warm. He set his empty bowl down on the counter carefully, making sure not to spill anything. "Why wouldn't I help you two? I haven't learned my lesson about Sho yet like a lot of people here. That man needs to be taught a lesson at some point, though I doubt I could ever do it."

Miles cuckled, watching as the younger of the two foxes almost fell against her mother. He had decided that they probably weren't sent by any nine-tails that he had to worry about. The three tails was probably a lot more dangerous than he thought, but also honorable. The immortal knew enough of the human world to know how honor worked, and had a rough guess of what would be considered a bad move in this case.

The strange girl, tipsy as her small body was, interested him quite a bit more. According to what Kit had said earlier, she was her daughter. It made sense, since the two were obviously traveling together and even looked a bit alike. And with the tanuki's masic understanding of kitsune biology, hey din't begin to grow more tails until later in life. However, it was the magic he felt in her that interested him. That would be something he would have to inspect sometime, or at least see.

"I got the food," the tanuki said, a couple gold coins rolling onto the table from inside his sleeve. It merely a slieght of hand, but a fun one he enjoyed doing. He smilied, beckoning them out to the docks again. "As for another hiding spot where you can actually get a bed, I think the place I'm staying at may have a room or two open. Not the best, but good beds and a quiet sleep. Ol Sho should be on the other side of town or drunk right now. And I'd be my hammer on both."