PDA

View Full Version : The Come Back

Ascelia
03-29-06, 04:04 PM
((NOW CLOSED))

It was quiet sometime since she had done one of her jobs. She was sitting in a tavern, somewhere in Scara Brae, she wasn’t too sure where she was, since she hadn’t bothered to grab a map, she just went by instinct. Her bow had been placed against the back of her chair, and her sword lent against the side of her. She went to reach for her ale when someone dressed in almost her exact attire walked through the doors and noticed her. Ascelia was shocked just as much as the young man was. He approached her slowly, holding out a piece of parchment.

“It’s been sometime, but I’ve seen to have found you again,” he said in his childlike voice. His body wasn’t much larger then hers, even though he was a male. He had a frail appearance, just like her, and wore the same kind of trench coat, probably made by the same tailor. “Please, I hope you accept this, just like you accepted my other request,” he added at the end.

“Another assassination, I suppose.” Ascelia didn’t need to see the parchment to be able to tell what he needed. She grunted softly and sat back in her chair. It creaked under her, and scratched the hardwood floor as she moved it. Placing both hands on the parchment, she nodded to accept the job, and he was quickly gone sometime after that moment.

She sighed though. Sometime ago, the same man had hired her to kill his parents, since he would have the guilt hang over his head for some time. He didn’t feel guilty when she killed them, since their blood was not on his hands. Though he didn’t say much about himself, Ascelia could easily tell that he was an elf, just like her. But that’s all she knew about the mysterious man. She stared at her glass of ale, and took another drink from it. The moment it hit her mouth, she woke up from her trance like state. It was a bitter taste down her throat this time; almost burning it’s way down.

She stopped drinking it, but still sat at the table. She finally opened up the parchment to read all the fine details. Stretching it to it’s full extent, she started to read what was finely printed on it.

“Too the reader of this mission,

You have been hired to kill a man. Quiet a powerful merchant. His name will not be enclosed in this letter, but you will know him when you see him. He wears an attire of blood red clothing, and will be coming through this town in order to drop off supplies. You must get him before he reaches the town. He will have four orc guards with him, and a small caravan with a single horse pulling it. He will be the driver, and he will also be transporting a mass load of gunpowder. You must kill him and stop the caravan before he reaches the town. At the end of this mission, one hundred gold will be supplied to you, as well as whatever you can get out of this.”

Rolling her eyes, she now knew why he stalked her. “Orcs…an elven favorite.” She let a smile escape her lips. “This merchant will be here soon, or the elf wouldn’t be in such a hurry.” She got up from her place of rest, strapped her bow over his back, replaced her sword to her side, and hurried out of the tavern.

Ascelia went right to the main entrance to the town, and stood by the doors. Nothing in site. She climbed the wall, and stood where the guard should be, but he was already sleeping. She moved quickly, but silently, and looked back over the area she had just looked. There, finally something.

Off in the distance, about two miles or so from the town gates, a small dot of light. Hopping off the wall, and landed softly, bending her knees and breaking her fall, and left the town. Hurrying towards the stop of light, she looked back towards the town. If they were to start moving, it would only take an hour or two to get there. This was something she couldn’t have happen. This would take all her skill, and precision to take out four orcs, and the merchant. She hurried, already holding bow, even though she was quiet a ways away still.

Grave
03-30-06, 05:14 PM
It had taken much time from the point when he woke up in that dreadful graveyard. Alexander had no idea where he was going. All he know was he was going. Oddly enough over time his body seemed to be regaining its strength back from the weakened state he was in when he awoke. It seemed like this forest would just keep going on forever. At least until through some miracle in the night he managed to find a clear road. Looking to his right he saw a carriage about 50 minutes walking distance. He finally stopped walking after reaching the outskirts of the road.

Sighing Alexander looked at his hands. They appeared to be calloused as though from intensive work. It was as though he had just been reborn, and to Alexander it was a cruel form of torture. Though while appearing strong, thin and in shape physically, his mentality was slowly degenerating from panic and fear.

No memory...nothing. What am I going to do? All I have is the crap in this backpack and nothing else. For crying out loud I'm using a name off of a who knows how old dead man's tombstone! This has to be a dream...something....anything...WHO AM I? WHERE AM I? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!

"FOR ****'S SAKE WHERE THE **** AM I?!"

Alexander yelled out in a part terror part anger shriek whilst throwing a curled up fist into the lush green ground. If only he had taken the time to look to his left. Alexander just might have seen the young elf running towards him with her bow drawn.

Osato
03-30-06, 05:47 PM
Osato’s hair was a mess.

With a shaky hand, and even less sturdy legs, the young sell-sword ventured away from the docks. His heavy eyes could not help but turn and look back towards the ocean. Each step brought the comforting sound of a hard click of stone and steel. It was soothing after the young man’s less then easy trip from the Southern islands of Corone to Scara Brae. Especially when the man, though once part of a marine transported soldier force, was uneasy and unsteady when it came to ships.

Even as the docks fell away and the thought of a drink rose in the man’s mind his body was recovering from the trip. His hands now stabilized and ready, were stroking through his silky amethyst hair. The knots were deep and tough, but nothing was more stubborn then the air of vanity that Osato kept himself constantly living in. As the knots detangled themselves the man was already half way through Scara Brae.

The island nation was just what he was told about. The town was almost twice the size of the town of Yerria, but beyond that there was the countryside and forests that he had never seen of that size. Osato found himself not wondering about the city, exactly like what he had grown up in, but instead what lie beyond it. His feet were carrying him quickly towards the entrance.

“So,” he murmured to himself as he wandered towards the gate out of Scara Brae. “I wonder where I’ll go here. Yerria had nothing much to offer, but Scara Brae was supposed to have more to offer then I could possibly get my hands into at once… now where is it?!”

Osato wandered out of Scara Brae, slowly making his way away from the docks, and away from his old life. He convinced himself of his nomatic ways as he moved. He told himself he was no longer a soldier of Yerria, but a sell-sword. He was a roving mercenary, a single entity against the backdrop of society. Osato quickly found himself lost though, staring at not only an elven maiden who was running quite quickly, but also a human male who was screaming loudly.

Instead of putting in his two cents the man kept his mouth shut. His hands went to his sides and an amused smirk rose on his face. Now the situation was beginning to form into exactly what he was looking for. Perhaps with a little time, and maybe an engaging conversation, he would figure out what was going on… and what trouble he could get himself into.

Ascelia
03-31-06, 05:44 AM
Ascelia found herself running, and then stopped dead. Stumbling she almost tripped, but she was able to catch herself before she did. Standing infront of a screaming male, her bow was up quickly, and pointed at him. he had an odd presence about him, but then again, most males to her did. But this one was obviously, much different.

Then from no where, another male stepped up towards them. This one was just as obvious as the other one. He had something different about him to. But he had his hand over his sword. Quick to action just like Ascelia. Maybe this confrontation wasn't just a coincidence then?

She looked at both men again. Then made her judgement. "I have no time for petty games," she eyed both quickly, then went straight back to her run. The sun was rising which ment the merchant would be moving from his camp quiet soon.

"Hurry Ascelia. Come on. There just over this ridge, you can make it." she thought to herself. How much she had accomplished in so little time. This was just a warm up to get her into the big games again. Maybe another man hunt. Those were her favourites.

She looked back to the two men, just too see what they were doing, but the sun blinded her from seeing them very well. She turned back around, and inched up the hill. And just as she did, she finally got a close look at what was there.

Just as was said, the four orc bodyguards, the merchanct in all red. And, something that she hadn't expected. The man who hired her. This was all a trap. What the hell was going on? She didn't wait for anything too slow her down.

She popped up, and fired an arrow. The whishing sound could be heard until to smashed into the side of the merchant wagon. Her wild elf ears twitched as she could hear the sounds from below.

"She's already here. Is everything set up?" the elf said. His melodic voice rang out. It was obvious to be him, since the merchant appeared human.

"Yes, she won't last fifteen minutes against us. And those orcs are only dragon feed, so they can easily go down with her." the other one said. As the both of them laughed.

Ascelia was left alone, good to die. She was only being used. And now she knew why. "That no good..." she didn't want to say anything bad that might throw her off course. "All the gunpowder...he must be testing explosives." Ascelia grunted, and put her head in her palm. "It's time anyways..." she said lightly to herself, readying another arrow to be fired.

Grave
03-31-06, 11:23 AM
Two people...Alexanader counted two people from what he could hear even through the scream and the mental degeneration. Actually now that he actually had a clear moment to think, he realised that he was not normal. Feeling two furry ears on his head, he knew something was amiss. Looking back the tail that was now attached to him was also another dead give away. By about this time he noticed the elf had run up, drawn her bow at him, and dashed past him all before he could say a word. But where his mouth failed to speak to elf, another being seemed to speak to Alexander's mind in a whispy low voice.

The Way...Find The Way, Learn The Way, Follow The Way. The Way is and always is. The Way cannot be explained. If it is explained then it is not The Way. The Hill....Part of The Way....Find The Way

"What...the heck...is with this "Way" crap?! I better get some answers out of this!" Alexander yelled to the nonexistant being around him. He didn't understand what was going. He didn't understand why it was going on. All Alexaner knew was he wanted answers, and if the other side of that hill had them then thats where he was going.

Quickly Alexander looked around ignoring the second person who had showed up. He looked human, but then again so many things were happening that were surprising he wouldn't be shocked if the other person wasn't human. Finally Alexander found what he was looking a long thick stick that could pass for a walking stick. Might as well play the part of a blundering fool...seem to be one right now anyways. Alexander thought to himself, as he walked briskly up past the mountain. Ignoring the elf at the top Alexander went to keep on walking, he didn't care what obstacles were in his path, he wanted answers.

Osato
03-31-06, 12:19 PM
Trouble seemed the last of his concerns though. Even as he watched the elven woman rush past the mysterious human thoughts were assaulting his mind. No longer did he think Scara Brae was for adventures. Instead it was for bumbling fools, and non-tolerant pricks, or elves. Osato gave over with a sigh as he walked towards the man, allowing his arms to swing freely at his sides.

The winds were calm, but what little breeze rose was coming from the ocean behind him. It carried a hint of salt and the light but fragrant smell that only the water could give. With his smirk firmly fixed across his face, the young soulless sell-sword walked towards the human before him. He was screaming again, this time about ‘the way’.

For some reason Osato suspected that there would be no answers for the man. In there steed would be more questions and a fair amount of confusion. The young man, vain as always, took a second to straighten out his drall (open half-skirt with Yerrian symbol on it) and run a perfunctory hand through his amethyst hair. When he had concluded that he was at least a little further towards presentable he stepped forward.

“Excuse me,” he called to the rather loud and probably dangerous man. However, before continuing, the young man allowed his eyes to adjust to the change in light. With the sun falling and night rising Osato would be hard-pressed to work up a picture of the man if it would have been any later. What he saw made him almost gasp.

Here was a man, almost as tall as Osato but with a frame that spoke of either no food or an over-active metabolism. His hair was of a light brown color, but seemed rather unkempt. His eyes were alluring; in a more then pretty way (as Osato had never been one to discriminate the description of beauty on only a female). And yet, his clothes were unkempt, he looked dismayed and altogether disheveled. To the mercenary, who took his personal appearance to be first and foremost before all else, the man was close to ghastly.

“Umm… my name is Osato first off,” the man continued. “I could not help but notice that you seem to be having some… issues. You’ll have to excuse my bluntness; I can’t help it at times. I was wondering if you knew who that elven woman was, or where she was going in such a rush…”

But the man was busy, seemed to ignore the questions. Instead he chose a rather thick branch of sorts and began to shamble away. The least he could have done was say something, anything really, to set the sell-swords mind right. But he did not even give him that little bit of help. “How rude,” Osato mumbled as he watched the man move across the thick grass. He watched as he moved, looking not only at his clothing once again, but at the lacking grace of which he kept stride. It was as if his legs were stiff, or did not really want to hold him up as well as they once had.

“Hey, wait up!” Osato cried after the man, shaking his head while rushing after him. It was answers, and an adventure most of all, that he was looking for. Without the shambling man, as he had dubbed him, there would probably be neither. And the elven woman, whom had obviously cared so little for company, was almost completely out of his mind already. But, without realizing where he was rushing off too, Osato was actually following the same course as she had taken, walking towards the hill before them where she had disappeared over. “So, are you going to answer my questions? Or are you just going to leave me hanging?”

((Hey, hopefully everything is ok in this post. I did not see a description of your character Grave, so I made assumptions based on how you presented him and the information that I gathered from your approval thread. Ascelia: I don’t even know what you wanted us to do. But I have a plan, if it’s ok… I’ll write it up next post, undoubtedly… If there are any problems please feel free to PM me and tell me, I’ll edit asap.))

Ascelia
03-31-06, 01:55 PM
She could hear the both of them coming, and the stirring up in the encampment a few hundred yards away. She looked back where she had come. "Would you two shut up!?" she said, quietly, but still she showed her anger to the both of them. But it was much to late for any kind of stealth attack.

The orcs grunted, and the clanging of metal rang out over the still air. She turned around, each one now weilding a large orc axe. The handle was crafted of a typical oak wood, and the stone bit on the end was kept to the pole by a piece of tightly wound leather. Ascelia sighed, using the arrow from before to shoot one orc in the leg, at least slowing him down.

"You two had best be able to fight since you messed this one up..." she said over her shoulder. At least now, the trap would not be able to work. She wasn't close enough and the raging of the orcs would throw both the elf and merchant of course as what they should do next.

Ascelia knocked another arrow, and pulled the string back. Once she had a clear shot, she fired it. The orc moved, allowing it to keep flying and again smashing against the merchant's cart with great force. It sent bits of wood slivers flying around, leaving a great hole where it hit. The arrow was completely useless now as the shaft would mostly likely be blown apart from such impact.

Ascelia had always been one for little bits of modifications. She made the shafts of her arrows slightly less durable then others, that way when it hit a hard object, it would smash under the pressure. Luckily, it would allow the metal head to louge into the wound.

She smiled, at least she was getting around. Her name would soon be known throughout the world, as something much larger then the elf who could do petty jobs. Though her occupation wasn't one that was very acceptable to amoung people, she was still employed quiet often.

She wanted to just kill everyone around her now though. Since this whole job would've been so much easier if those two hadn't been here. But at least, being attacked, they might be somewhat useful, as they could hopefully defend themselves. She didn't want to see what they were doing, since the orcs would soon be too close to do anything.

Grave
04-03-06, 12:29 PM
Time cannot be altered. Time cannot be changed. Time is everflowing never stopping. Subtle effect is all that can occur. Move like time never stopping always flowing. Time cannot be altered. Time cannot be changed. Time is everflowing never stopping. Subtle effect is all that can occur. Move like time never stopping always flowing. Time cannot be altered. Time cannot be changed. Time is everflowing never stopping. Subtle effect is all that can occur. Move like time never stopping always flowing.

The words kept beating themselves into Alexander's head from the unknown voice. His mind feeling like it was about ready to explode from all the commision of this voice inside Alexander's head.

Stopping for a moment he turned around and saw what appeared to be a human with deep violet hair with blue eyes of some sorts. His instincts at the moment were shut off and after hearing this man....Osado was it? Ask about Alexander's name he wasn't quite sure of what to tell him.

"Name....Name...Just...I don't...Bah screw it just call me 'The Grave' "

Alexander figured there was no point at the moment in trying to deface a dead man's name....not at least until he had a little more time to think about what was going on. However, Alexander decided again to move after the short sentence. Ever so briskly up the path he went until he was right behind the elf. Alexander saw her head turn around and angrily whisper off to him.

"Would you two shut up!?"

He didn't understand why he told him to shut up, its not like anyone else was around, but that didn't confuse him as much as what he saw her do. Alexander noticed that the elf had stood up knocked an arrow, and shot it down the hill with intense speed. Looking over the edge he viewed something that horrified him. It was the reason as to why she had shot off her bow. Four large green muscular beasts that could only resemble orc's were running up the hill after them.

Oh God...why?....why did I get lead to these monstrousities? What am I supposed to do against something that large?!

For the moment Alexander could do nothing. All his attention was tied with forming a plan to deal with these hulking orc's before they got so close that he would be bashed up and cut up beyond recognition.

Osato
04-03-06, 10:29 PM
It took a good bit of time before the man answered his questions. Till then, till he had given a name, Osato was thinking of him as Mr. Dark-n-Dirty. The young sell-sword watched as the winds pushed the long grass about, following dark-n-dirty. He watched curiously with each step of the man, looking at the way the grass folded under step and the shape it assumed. It was something that he had not paid attention to up to that point, but something that seemed so fundamentally important to anyone of his occupation.

“So… The Grave,” Osato said while repressing a chuckle. The name was so clique, but it did not surprise him so much. He appeared human, and he had only heard rumors of how young and new the warriors of Scara Brae were. “Do you mind if I just call you Grave?”

The sell-swords smirk and amusement at the man’s name were both lost as soon as the crest of the hill was passed over. The elven woman was standing with her bow out. Its quivering bowstring was freshly fired. Osato’s smirk once again extended across his face, the scene was inspiring. The sell-sword was looking at a picture of what he would describe as future bliss.

There were four orks, the biggest darkest orks he had ever seen. That was not saying much though since he had only seen one ork, and it was a roughly drawn picture in a training manual. A large hole was in the side of the wagon. And in front of all of that, slightly to the rear, were two humans who were both angry and surprised at the same time.

“Messed this one up, did we?” Osato said with a harrumph. “You elf girl, alone against four orks and two humans, and we messed up? I think you took a job too big for your britches quite honestly…”

The soulless mercenary wrapped a delicate, well manicured hand around the hilt of his blackened longsword. Things were about to get more interesting and the promise of a surprise award was all the more alluring. With the blade firm in hand, spinning about for show, Osato watched a fine black powder slip around the broken shaft. It was spilling on the ground, slipping like a spring rain from the wagon. With a gasp the young man looked to the elf girl, pure surprise and shock behind his eyes.

“Is that… Is that gunpowder?!”

Ascelia
04-04-06, 05:45 AM
"Yes, that's all gunpowder. I was going to use the blow them all up. At least I still may be able to get two of them, but the orcs have got to go first." she said, glancing back at them man with a more friendly smile. This was much better now. It was three against four, but they would come through.

The orcs were close now, a few more steps until they could attack. There barbaric screams were easily heard miles away. The grunted every step they took, but it also lightly shook the ground. These orcs were massive. Easily over seven foot, at a minimum. And there weapons were nothing new either. Just wood and stone. Simple weapons, simple beast, simple fight.

She couldn't use her bow from this range, so she strapped it across her back again, and went to draw her long sword. Though, it was unfortunate that they were already there. A hefty blow hit her sqaure is the adonminals, and sent her back a few feet. She hit the ground with nothing more then a dead thud.

Coughing and trying to catch her breathe, she slowly got up. First to her knees, then using a hand to balance her out, she pushed with her hand to get up. Now she had her longsword at the ready. She wouldn't rush, they were somehow to smart for that. Instead she would take it slowly. Rushing them would only mean a quicker death.

Walking forward, one hand holding her sword, the other, forming one of her shadow balls. Her shadow flowed up her legs, and then quickly up her arm, and into her hand where it twisted itself into a ball. Smiling Ascelia took another step, before attacking she waited for the other two. She didn't want anyone surrounded by these brutes.

Osato
04-10-06, 12:17 PM
The elf’s plan seemed plausible, even logical, but Osato had other ideas. Gunpowder, a relatively unknown and almost mythical substance on the island of Yerria, was something that he would not pass up. If there was anyway to get to keep it, without having to loose the fight, the sell-sword had full intentions of doing so. His eyes continued to focus on the wagon, the draining powder from the arrows hole, and the orks pace.

They were heavy and solid. Each was holding a mace-like weapon crafted of no more then a thick branch and a heavy stone. Osato smirked at the beasts gray-green coloration and crimson eyes. He had seen pictures of them, heard stories of their raids and strength, but it was something entirely different to be so close to them. He gripped the hilt of his sword and pulled it from his sling. It was of a deep black color, weapon-blacked, and almost perfectly balanced.

Osato smirked as a cloud passed from before the falling sun. The final rays of daylight were giving a small bit of advantage to the group of three. With the crest of the hill shadows on the other side were long and dark, but as the orks approached the sun’s rays were catching their faces and leaving but silhouettes of their foes. Osato was pleased with his position.

He slipped to the side, barely avoiding the mace as it hurled the elven woman back. The sell-sword was no fool, and being in such a tight place with others would be the last place he would find himself in such a fight. Osato slipped away from the other two, taking only one of the four orks with him. Apparently their hatred for elves was even present then, for two were following the young elven woman, while the other one began towards Grave.

“Perfect,” Osato mumbled as the ork began swinging. Perhaps it was a show of power, or strength. Perhaps it was to intimidate. Whatever the reason, the ork began swinging his weapon and striking the ground with it. Each time it did the ground gave a little quiver. “I have to keep the sun to my back.”

Reminding himself of the danger before him, Osato began to move. It was quick, sharp movements that he performed. The orks were more like trolls, so he thought. They reacted angrily towards sudden movements, and were a brutish as they seemed stupid. As it finally closed and began its first swing Osato lunged. The distance was easily passed by the longsword, but the mace was even longer then the mercenary’s weapon.

“Damnit,” Osato mumbled as he dove away without landing a blow, barely avoiding the crude weapon of his assailant. The fight was going to be a hard one that much he assumed. What he knew was that the gunpowder on the other side would make a handsome reward, a handsome reward indeed.

((Posting anyway, Grave’ll have to catch up if he’s still active and wants to participate.))

Ascelia
04-11-06, 12:40 PM
"Great!" she thought to herself, now she had to defend herself against two of the largest creatures she had come across. What were the others doing? To focused on her problem, she managed to get her longsword out. This took almost everything she had, dodging both of those large axes really wore her down.

"Come on, come on!" she yelled out. At this time, she ran to the side, causing one orc to move, and the other to hit it with his axe. Easily landing the hit on it. It somehow, broke through it's rough hide skin, and opened a large, unclean cut in it's side.

It let out a large cry of pain, but it continued it assult forward on the little elf. Though both orc and elf hated each other, she had never seen any conflicts to prove it. Both races were at war, but yet, a fight had never broken out until now.

Ascelia weaved in and out of the two orcs, as their axes came towards her. With small steps and pushed back slowly, trying to keep the sun in their eyes. But they weren't facing towards it now.

Ascelia moved to the side again, this time causing the sun to blind both of them. Sheilding their eyes, the injured orc, saw her coming a little too late. She was already infront of it, giving it many jabs with her blade into chest and stomach. Cries of pain escaped it as it slowly, fell down, trying to cover all of it's wounds.

Now, each person had one orc to deal with. Looking around, with a small bit of free time, Ascelia could see one man, leading an orc away from her, but the other man was no where in site.

Puting up a defensive stance, Ascelia turned back to the other orc. Seeing it raise it's arm high into the air, she got ready for the attack. The sword took the whole blow, but from such a massive beast, she gave way, and fell backwards. Now the towering beast was over her, with out a defense this time, Ascelia was left alone.

Osato
04-11-06, 01:36 PM
The axe fell, Osato moved, it fell again, and he barely avoided it. The weapon was gaining speed as the momentum and intensity of the ork grew. The young man knew it would be better to cut off the momentum, slip the beast up even a little bit, then continue the fight the way it was heading. His sword was flashing before him viciously. Even with its blade blackened the sun still reflected off of it.

In the back of his mind the young sell-sword was picturing the elven woman, dancing with the grace only an elf could possess. The two orks were swinging just as wildly as the one before him was, but her delicate steps could easily bypass them. He wanted to worry about her, wanted to assist her. But it was a pointless desire. The ork before him was more then a simple target to be cast aside quickly.

As it growled again, missing the soulless mercenary by a mere inch, Osato turned the tide. He lunged in, sweeping his blade at the gut of the ork. It struck like a staff, the rippling edge of the sword burying itself in his opponents gut. Though it was not deep it would be enough to inflict a small bit of damage and cause the ork to halt his swinging for a second. The empty hand of the beast was tossed down, attempting to grab the man who was only half a foot from its chest.

There was a split second to decide what to do next. Osato was not one for fighting such massive creatures, at least not alone or on land. Beasts of the sea had attacked at times, both ships he was on and the island he had once called home. But those had been different; both times he had been backed or was backing others. This time with the other three just as occupied as he was and there would be no help but his own strength.

A cruel smirk rose on his face, similar to the one that all had come to know him for but different in the way that malice showed through it. Osato’s head moved first, followed quickly by his body. He spun away from the hand and barely avoided running into the arm on the other side, which was raised and poised to strike. As he moved he gave a heave with the sword, dragging its rippling edge through the orks abdomen. To stand alone and defeat such beasts was what he wanted for so long, what he had desired since he had begun his adventuring.

Before the ork had even finished crying the young sell-sword had spun. The blade had been freed and instead of stepping away Osato took the initiative. In a wide arch around his then hunched form, the soulless mercenary brought the blade into the rear of the orks legs. The edge sank into the back of the knees, towards the base of the hamstring. With a thrust it moved the same as it had done along the abdomen.

The ork’s cry was immense. But it was the deep black-blue blood that spilt across the emerald grass that caught Osato’s attention. He had never seen such a beast, never fought one, so in its passing he was going to learn. Osato quickly fell away from the stumbling ork, preparing to attack once again.

Osato
05-24-06, 03:04 PM
Time was passing quickly. All around the sell-sword people were moving. His blade arched quickly before he would allow the ork to retaliate. It caught the massive, green beast by the shoulder and tore all the way through its neck and out the side of its head. It may have been dead before Osato struck it. It might have been unconscious, but at least with a gaping wound from shoulder to ear the sell-sword knew it was dead.

From behind him he heard a roar.

“Blast,” he mumbled as another ork approached him. It had either given up on the one known as grave, or it had already beaten one of Osato’s fellow fighters. Whatever the case it gave little time to ponder. The sell-sword twisted the blade and changed his footing, watching the heavy hammer of his opponent swing. He fainted forward, giving the illusion that he was attacking. As soon as it moved to defend, breaking the momentum, Osato actually attacked. “Bastard!”

The pretty-boy put three holes in the beast. The first pushed through the upper arm holding the hammer, affectively dropping the weapon. The second tore into its chest, meant to puncture the heart. Unfortunately the blade slipped off the thick sternum and instead torn across a rib. As the ork issued a guttural roar at the sudden speed and ferocity of the young man, Osato struck his final blow. The tip of the blade caught the center of the throat and twisted wickedly. The ridged edge sliced from the center of the neck over, almost severing the head from the shoulders.

“Vile orks! Bloody useless bastards! How the hell am I – oh shit…”

Osato was staring into the eyes of one of the two humans. The other had seen it fit to flee, apparently, leaving his companion alone with the rich reward. The one left had seen the sell-sword too. His face was contorted. His eyes were wide. But it was the shaky hand holding a rather pitiful dagger that Osato noticed. A cruel, uncharacteristic smirk rose on the mercenaries face. “I’ll give you gold,” the man cried as the soulless warrior moved towards him. “I’ll give you weapons, gems… I’ll… I’ll give you anything just spare my life!”

“Do you think me a heartless killer just because I dispatched your rather disgusting bodyguards?” Osato’s blade rose and pointed towards the man’s throat. He was backing away. “What is your name?”

“Derek,” the man said. Despite his mouth being open to say more he was cut short. His shaky legs had caught a rather large rock. As he thudded against the ground his dagger fell from his hands and slid across the dirt path. “Owh, damn that hurts….”

“Well Derek, I’m going to let you go. Though, on one condition.” Osato made sure his eyes were holding the man’s eyes. If he was going to do this he would have to be convincing. It was a role that he had never played. “If I ever see you again I will not kill you. I will beat you, let you heal, then beat you more. Eventually I will turn you into the watch… though I hope that you will learn your lesson now so I never have to do that, right?”

“Right!” the man squeaked, “Anything!”

Good. Osato watched the man scramble to his feet. He stumbled away, leaving the dagger behind. As he rounded the corner in the road, following it behind a hill, the sell-sword turned with a smile. His sword found its place in its sling. His hands found themselves on the edge of the wagon.

After a quick job at damning up the hole along the side he climbed into the driver’s seat and headed away. There was sure to be someone that wanted a wagon load of gunpowder, and Osato was sure that he could sell it for quite a high price. He looked around, noted the dead orks and those that were still moving behind him, probably busy with Ascelia still. “I got what I wanted… screw the rest of them…”

And off he went with a reward for a job well done.

INDK
05-26-06, 10:08 PM
I’m not going to be too detailed with comments here, especially because it seems most of the players couldn’t be bothered to finish the thread. I will give comments out here and there where applicable, but not nearly as many as if all of you had taken the effort to complete this.

Total Score= 23. Not too great. This thread wasn’t particularly strong. Osato is a more experienced writer, and it showed, but by and large this thread lacked a lot. Keep in mind, these scores are amalgamations of all your efforts.

Introduction – 3 There were a lot of unanswered questions here. While introductions normally should have unanswered questions, if you don’t tease the reader that the answers are later in the story, it just seems like poor preparation. Why hadn’t Ascelia done a mission in a while, why had Osato become a mercenary? Grave’s introduction just confused me on the first read through. A bit of backstory might have helped you guys out. Also, I wish I had learned more about these characters. From Grave, I just needed more detail in general.

Setting – 2 Not a lot of detail in this thread. A decent setting (which is what you should be going for at this point) contextualizes the situation. I liked the way that Osato mixed in things about Scara Brae into his posts, but he was the only one doing that.

Strategy – 2 This was mostly hack and slash. Also, there was a generally weak premise here.

Dialogue – 3 I don’t really have any complaints about the verbal dialogue. I really wish there was some nonverbal dialogue (body language) in here though.

Character – 2 I don’t really feel like I ever got to know these characters very well. Take time at the beginning to let me know something about these characters, or if you want to start your thread on the fly, have it start in a situation that says something about who the characters are.

Rising Action – 2 This thread started moving before I could really get to know the characters, or grow interested in the plot. Perhaps part of this problem was just poor character, but it was a problem none the less.

Climax – 1 I liked the little bit with Derek, but the end of the fighting just came out of nowhere.

Conclusion – 3 I liked Osato’s conclusion. However, it was the only conclusion in the thread.

Writing Style – 3 Osato was pretty good, Ascelia was alright, but Grave really needs to work on the amount of meat in these stories.

Wild Card – 2 Sticking with threads is a very good way to gain writing experience.

Spoils=

Osato receives 300 EXP and 50 GP
Ascelia receives 200 EXP
Grave receives 75 EXP

Thoracis
05-27-06, 01:14 PM
Rewards added!