PDA

View Full Version : Akashiman Alliance

Lavinian Pride
09-08-09, 07:48 PM
This thread is between me and Yamihara. Being used for credit on the Akashiman Alliance mission from the Rangers mission board.

"Sit up straight, you're nobility now."

The words hung in the air, as a disinterested sigh left the lips of the target. Brown curls were left to dangle over her forehead and to cover the eyes, even as she straightened her posture. Her shoulder brought back in order to further straighten her spine, giving her an elegant air immediately noticeable.

The woman was of modest beauty. Her frame encased quite fully in the gown she had been given. A deep blue it seemed to accentuate the paleness of her skin, which was often hard to find under the mass of petty coats, lace and silk. The dress was elegant and refined, everything one would expect of Radasanthian nobility. The gloves she wore was a modest white velvet, soft and delicate as she was expected to be, though she was far from such a description.

The man sitting across from her, was a normal priest. His vestments in a deep black to match in tone with the regal blue of his companion. Short wisps of white hair clung to his head, giving him an aged look. Glasses were seated regally upon the bridge of his nose, adding further to the notion he was old. His hand clasped a small symbol to one of Corone's many gods, attached to a chain about his wrist, so as to never lose it. Even as he glowered at the young woman across from him, she seemed to ignore him, reaching a gloved hand out to look beyond the drapes, giving the cabin of their carriage a darker atmosphere.

Immediately a hand reached forward and slapped the gloved hand, forcing it to drop back into the lap of its owner. Brown eyes peered out from under the hair, as an indignant pride burned within them. Finally the tones of the woman could be heard, far harsher than her appearance would lead one to suspect, "Oh, I'm not allowed to look outside anymore?"

"It's bad enough that we have to make accommodations for you. I refuse to let you accidentally harm yourself. Or do you forget your nature, beast?"

"I am fully aware of my nature, Father Bernard," The woman replied. The crisp pronunciation in trade speak filtered through the air.

"Don't use such a barbaric language, use Coronian. I would hate to think what an Akashiman would think, to see nobility using trade speak," The priest growled, even as he adjusted his vestments.

Her lip curled slightly revealing only teeth as a sneer began to smear across her face, before with a minor jolt, the effect was stopped. The dissatisfied frown on her crimson lips did nothing to hide her ire, even as she felt the carriage begin to slowly turn and hear the snap of the coachman's whip. She had almost tuned out the repetitive clip clop of the horses moving through the Akashiman countryside.

It was at this time the priest shifted, and pulled papers from the small case at his side before he looked over them, "What is your name, beast?"

"I am Rachel Relvest, fifth in line for the Barony of Radasanth. Cousin to the heir, daughter of the Baroness' sister, and I am here on a diplomatic mission to seek the aid of the Akashiman Empire to help in suppressing a great threat to our land. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," The words were thick and forced, causing a frown to form on the priest's face.

"Speak that way to our hosts, and the deal is off beast. Remember, no contractions, no use of trade speak unless I begin conversation in it. No disgraceful use of street slang, and for the love of the gods don't you dare use profanity. Are we clear?"

"As crystal."

"Good, we should be arriving at the Imperial Palace soon enough. The other carriage should have made it to our base of operations. From here on out beast you are nobility, and you will act as such. We did not waste a month in teaching you everything you needed to know in order to watch you fail now."

Yamihara
09-09-09, 03:55 AM
The sun shone bright against the perpetual blue sky as chirping larks greet each other, beckoning the start of a new day. Beyond the rows of tiled roofs and green sakura trees, the rice fields of western Akashima stretched far into the horizon. A line of green marked the edge of the Concordian Forest, the most visible border separating the kingdom of Akashima to the rest of the Coronian island.

A young girl sat looking at the scenery through a large window, her clear blue eyes wandering aimlessly at the great expanse outside as her mind roamed pointlessly on the past. A smile slowly made its way across her face as she shook her head, clearing her mind of old memories and returning to the sheet of paper on the table in front of her.

Her eyes flickered once, travelling down the entire page in a single swift nod. Her right hand reached for a large calligraphy brush, dipping the rabbit fur tip into a well of ink and gently stroking the ink-laden tip to ensure a suitable volume had been drawn. Drawing the sleeves of her kimono back to reveal her light tan forearm, the maiden shifted her attention from the paper to the brush, then back to the blank piece of paper once more.

Taking in a deep breath, she let out a sigh and carefully guided the brush across the piece of paper, leaving behind a series of black strokes in a vertical column.

With the task complete, the maiden slowly drew her hand back and let the brush rest against its stand, observing the three letters carefully once more. Slowly, a look of dissatisfaction spread across her face.

"...I can't believe that's my hand writing."

Yamihara Asuka lamented with a disdainful moan after witnessing her attempt to write her own name. It had only been one year, or perhaps a little more, since she had left the borders of Akashima to venture across the world. She had been around the rest of the island nation, travelled to the neighboring Scara Brae and once even crossed the ocean as far as Alerar. She had become much more versed in the Coronian language and polished her Tradespeak, realizing it is the language of the world. But upon returning to her rightful place, the native Akashiman language was starting to become a burden to her.

She had not yet forgotten the spoken tongue, but writing was another matter altogether. Among the three different types of writing system, the girl only managed to remember the simplistic katakana and most parts of hiragana.

"Darn it, I guess I have to relearn Akashiman kanji again... Agh~ My head hurts just thinking about it!"

Asuka let out another moan and laid her head down on the table. Just then, a young man dressed in casual Coronian attire entered the room with a letter in his hand.

"Hey, Asuka. You got a-" He stopped in the middle of his sentence as if struck by an arrow. There was an eerie silence where no one moved, saved for a bead of sweat that crept down the side of the new arrival's temple. Seconds later, he stormed across the room and pulled the maiden upright with wide, panicked eyes.

"ASUKA! HEY, ASUKA! Don't die on me, damn it!"

He shook the red-haired girl violently, only to be responded by a surprised palm thrust in his face.

"What the-?! Don't scare me like that, Tokita!" Asuka yelped after withdrawing her hand and seeing her friend tumble backwards in a double backroll across the room. Seeing that her self-appointed bodyguard was not badly injured, she angrily crossed her arms and waited for him to get up.

Namashiki Tokita sat up and rubbed his face, trying to wipe the embarrassed smile from his face.

"Sorry, Asuka. I saw you lying there on the table and thought something happened... Heh?" He stopped in mid-sentence again, but this time a stifled chuckle managed to slip out from his mouth. After receiving another angry stare, though this time laced with curiosity, he could not help but let out a cackle.

"What's wrong with you today, Tokita? Did you get possessed by a kitsune or something?" The maiden narrowed her eyes and got to her feet, stomping over to the man laughing uncontrollably on the mat. Reaching out to him, Asuka pulled her large friend up as he finally calmed down.

"S- Sorry, your highness." He jokingly replied, trying to keep a straight face. "But apparently, you have a letter."

He produced a white envelope from within his jacket, which the girl grudgingly accepted. The sealing wax had the impression of the Akashima High Council embedded into it.

"Hmm... A letter from the High Council." The maiden muttered thoughtfully and tore the seal open. Within was an official letter from the Council, written in formal Akashiman using all three writing systems. Asuka squinted as she tried to read the easier words, skipping most of the strings of kanji that appeared almost unintelligible to her.

"...meeting with a... Corone... Coronian delegate...? Hrm, another one of those meeting again?"

She frowned, contemplating on whether she wanted to sit still for an hour listening to old men squabble over border control and land ownership. She had heard that the Coronian government had changed hands, which was a great surprise for her considering the relative peace the nation had for so long. Still, the matter seemed urgent enough that apparently, as a ruler of the western region with the closest contact with Coronian borders, her input was rather important.

"Well, actually, you've got two letters." He commented with a slight chuckle and pulled out a handkerchief after seeing her finished reading. "Here, hold still for a moment."

Tokita reached out and put one hand behind Asuka's head. Asuka, surprised, opened her mouth to protest but was silenced when the white handkerchief lightly dabbed at her forehead. The two stood still while Tokita busily wiped the ink smudge from her face.

"You're the Duchess of West Akashima, for crying out loud." He chuckled and withdrew his hands. "Take care of your looks a little, will ya?"

For a split second, Asuka felt her face was caught on fire. But still, she could not break her gaze from the childhood friend standing before her. A rush of unknown emotions flooded her thoughts, crashing into a jumbled mess of words she was not familiar with. A blanket of silence hung over the room...

Until it was broken with a smack.

"...Get the carriage ready, Tokita." Asuka muttered quietly, lowering her fist from the man's face. "We're going to the Capital."

The man withdrew with a surprised look on his face as his childhood friend turned her back to him and walked away. What he did not see was the uncontrollable blush burning into her face.

---Footnote---
((アスカ: A-su-ka; her name written in the katakana writing system.
katakana: Japanese/Akashiman writing system used mainly for foreign words and sounds. The simplest of the three writing systems. Each letter stands for a single sound.
hiragana: Japanese/Akashiman writing system, used mainly for indigenous words and particles. Each letter stands for a single sound, much like the katakana system, but never used for foreign words/sounds.
kanji: Japanese/Akashiman writing system, the most advanced system with one character carrying the main definition/meaning of the word. Has multiple pronounciation, depending on position of the character in relation to the others.

Lavinian Pride
09-10-09, 12:49 AM
The carriage was pulled by four white horses, giving it a speed and grace that almost lent itself to the picture being conveyed. The horses moved through the streets of Akashima, making sure to be clear of peasants or other obstructions. Coming to a full stop well within the walls of the imperial Palace, the first carriage came to a full stop well within the shadows of the high walls.

The Imperial Palace had been set up in a form of isolation. While not intended the defenses of the palace included walls taller than even the outer walls, giving the defenders of the Throne as much time to react as possible. The small courtyards that lead to its large doors were filled with Cherry Trees, giving a soft feel to the land, even if it only received sunlight every few days.

Soon the coachman had stopped the horses, and jumped from his precarious perch to the ground below. The coat he wore making the sunny and cool day unbearably hot was ignored even as he adjusted his hat and carefully grabbed the stepping stool that would serve as the occupants' way out of the carriage.

The door was opened, and the slender frame of the brunette moved out into the day's air. A small umbrella was held in her hand, with a grip that foretold the immense anger at her situation. Moving forward she stepped carefully upon the ladder, cursing under her breath at the impracticality of her shoes. She had never worn things such as these, and the torture devices were getting the better of her.

They were boots, only in the loose term that they encased her foot, much like a boot. The comparison to her old boots ended roughly there. The heel on these boots, forced her feet into an arch, and gave her the constant feeling of falling forward, while simultaneously causing something she thought long impossible, a feeling of pain in her feet.

Stepping forward, she quickly undid the latch on her umbrella and opened it up, putting it resolutely above her head, even as she looked about the area, her brown eyes studying everything. The scene she saw before he would have been breathtaking, had she not held so much anger in her heart. Waiting politely she heard the grumblings of the preist who too was feeling the effects of sitting for so long. She almost wished she could move about and stretch, but that would hardly do her any good.

She was still trapped in the corset, and the dress, and these damnable boots.

Looking about once more she saw a single man step forward with a look of importance. His clothing was distinctly in the Akashiman traditional kimono, with hakama pants a brilliant red. The haori he wore over the kimono itself was also this blazing red, along with bits of silver in the design of herons wrapping about his wrists in an elegant dance. His head was cut to closely shave against his head, giving him a proper appearance as befitting what she could guess was merely a messenger.

His stiff bow at the waste was rather odd to the woman, but she had spent time in Nihon, enough to know a gesture of obeisance that was similar. Once the bow was done, she carefully gripped her dress at the pleats designed precisely for this moment, and dipped into a rather large curtsy, dropping her head appropriately before she spoke cordially, "I do not have the pleasure of your name good sir. To whom do I speak?"

"I am Harumura Oniji, voice of the High Council. It is an honor to make your acquaintance madam. If you will follow me, we shall go to the High Court, so you may make your presence known," The man then gestured for her to follow before turning his back to her. Emblazoned on the back of the Haori was a Symbol that Rachel had been told about, but never truly seen till now.

Set into his back, making full use of the colors of the royal family, was a crest imposed upon a Kite Shield. A sword, double bladed split the Kite Shield in half, with each half decorated with an intricately sewn wing. It was breathtaking to say the least, and for a moment Rachel felt her dress was firmly mundane in comparison to this fine piece of art that was Oniji's Kimono.

She almost forgot where she was going as she followed.

Father Bernard moved into step behind her, as they ignored the coachman entirely. While she was still processing what was happening she turned her head to the side and said lowly in Coronian, "Already a speech? Did you know about this?"

"I had my suspicions this could occur, merely introduce yourself and your reason for coming. That will be more than enough, and then anyone who we may be debating the issue with will step forward. We will have time to talk with them if need be, but its all introductory speeches. Do not, screw this up Rachel," The priest said firmly as he clutched the holy symbol chained to his wrist.

As they entered the Palace, there was a small space made entirely of mats that covered the first floor. Rachel recognized the room's layout as similar to Nihon, in that visitor and host alike rarely wore their shoes indoors. Unlike western culture, the warmer climates of the areas hardly necessitated a need to keep one's feet warm. Looking about she looked worriedly to Bernard.

The priest seemed rather put off by her pleading look, until he noticed that their guide had taken off his sandals and was wearing slippers. He then turned to his guests and spoke succinctly, "If you will please leave your shoes here, it is customary in Akashima to not wear shoes indoors. If you have need of something to cover your feet, please make use of the slippers here; otherwise please remove your shoes or boots."

Bernard turned to Rachel before he said firmly, "I'll help you Lady Rachel, don't worry about it." He then knelt and carefully lifted the hem of her dress before helping her get out of her boots. It took all the self control of Rachel to not shudder in disgust at the man's situation, and further the impulse to kick him in the face as hard as possible before she was standing on the mats, in her socks. Her dress was dangerously close to the floor now, and she was certain she'd have to raise the hem a little to allow for walking.

The situation averted Rachel then smiled to Oniji before she spoke kindly, "Thank you my friend, if you will lead on?"

He nodded before he gestured forward. Moving through the hallways Rachel found her eyes looking about at the place, marveling at the different architecture. While it was all very pragmatic, there was a bolder flavor of art in everything, from the oil paintings on the walls to the well tended gardens.

Finally they reached their destination.

A large hall marked the High Court of Akashima. Various attendants to the council moved about the room, carrying scrolls or other means of recording events before placing them on a large table before the council. Two smallish desks stood roughly twenty feet before them each with their own tables.

Oniji stepped forward before he spoke loudly, "I beg forgiveness for the intrusion, but Lady Akashima I bring before you the representatives of the Coronian Empire..." Bowing so deep as to almost drop his head to the ground he gestured back at Rachel and Bernard before they stepped forward, between the two tables. Rachel took two more steps, stepping beyond the boundary they created and gave another deep curtsy.

"I am Rachel Revelst, fifth in line of the Barony of Radasanthia, daughter of the Baroness' sister, and cousin to the heir of the Barony. I come on behalf of the Coronian Empire with a message most dire. It is our wish to end the decades of neutrality between our people, for the cause of Justice and Honor..." As she rose up to her full height, she made sure to adopt as regal a pose she could muster. Finally, she ended her speech, "We come to ask your aid in defeating the dishonorable Corone Ranger's, who have forsaken their duty in the name of Hubris."

The room was dead quiet with those words.

Yamihara
09-14-09, 04:17 AM
((Request for Bunnying Approved))

Silence fell upon the members of the High Court long after the words faded into the air. Several of the dukes glanced at each other nervously, though the look of surprise was not one of their expressions. They had all heard about the war that had broken out between the newly-established Coronian Empire and their Ranger forces.

From what the Akashiman High Council had known through their intelligence network, the Empire sought to consolidate their powers to prevent social turmoil from breaking the small nation apart after a string of assassinations threatened to cripple the ruling body of the Republic. Then there was a uprising in the western barony, stemming from a controversial mass trial which became known as one of the bloodiest riots in the history of Corone. From there on, intelligence gathered by the Akashiman agents had been alarmingly sporatic.

Asuka had heard of the news regarding the Civil War as well during her stay in Underwood, the small crossroad town in the center of the old Republic of Corone. After her journey back to West Akashima, however, she had yet to receive any news of the war until now.

"...So, it really is true Corone's fallen into chaos..." The Duchess mumbled under her breath as she started hearing the other dukes talking to each other in low, hushed voices. With the idyllic atmosphere of the Peaceful Promenade in Underwood still lingered in her memory, it was a harsh contrast to what the country had turned into within only a few months.

"Miss... Rachel Revelst. If I may ask something, relating to the Empire's demands..." An aged but stern man spoke up in the Coronian language after the short period of silence. Asuka recognized him as the Duke of South Akashima, overseeing the country's main garrison as well as providing the best armed forces the small country could ever muster. Despite his aged appearance, Duke Minamoto still had a sharp mind and equally sharp eyes.

"Of this conflict, I do realize your empire regards the Corone Rangers as insurgents... Could you provide us some reason as to your actions against the town of Underwood during your campaign against the Rangers?"

Rachel lowered her eyes down to the table. Taking in a deep breath, she contemplated on her words before giving her response.

"It's unfortunate, but it was a necessary evil. The Rangers had been using the place as a recruiting bed, and eventually wrested control away from Baron Varntel."

There was a slight pause as if she hesitated, glancing sideways at the priest standing not far away. Drawing another breath, she continued.

"He requested our aid in taking the town back, and upon realizing just how corrupt the Rangers had made such a place, there was but one choice. Order could not be restored with the chaos that the Rangers had incited."

As if on instinct, a shattering CRACK- rang through the room as the red-haired maiden bolted from her seat, shouting at the top of her voice in Tradespeak.

"You liar!"

The maiden glared down at Rachel, who seemed to respond to her outburst by looking directly in the Duchess' direction.

"How could you say the Rangers have corrupted Underwood?!" Asuka continued, rage burning hot on her face. "The town had nothing to do with the Rangers! I was there! I know how things were! There was nothing! No soldiers, no rangers! Nothing but woodcutters and farmers!"

The entire room fell silent after the violent storm of the gutteral language that even Asuka herself could feel, despite the rage still burning in her face. She could not hear even the indignant whispers of the other dukes who glared at her for using a commoner's language in a place of high social importance. But Asuka did not care to apologize when someone she hardly knew began bashing the honor of her second home.

"I'm sorry you feel that way, Duchess Yamihara." A calm, stern voice addressed the High Court, which immediately caught the attention of the entire room. Asuka turned to look and saw Lady Akashima calmly looking down at her. "Though I understand your reason for objections, we must not allow our emotions to overrule our manners. Do you understand, Duchess?"

The maiden immediately lowered her eyes in shame and responded nervously.

"Ha- Go- Wa- Wakarimashta, Jo-Oh*-sama." Asuka stammered a hasty apology to Lady Akashima for her unruly conduct and fell silent, staring down on her table.

The maiden fell silent as the other dukes conversed among themselves, deciding on whether or not to agree to the Coronian diplomat's request. The Akashiman High Court had long considered the Corone Republic as their protector through the years since Akashima's recent integration. Also, the Coronian government had long been on friendly terms with the Akashiman royal family and both sides have pledged support for each other during times of turmoil.

However, the Corone Rangers had also been of great service, though indirectly, from their constant patrols of the Concordian Forest. Because of the Rangers, there had been virtually no criminals wandering the Akashiman towns near the Coronian-Akashiman border.

"However, the Coronian Empire has a great deal of military and economic power." Asuka heard one of the dukes consent with each other. "We cannot remain passive to their advances. We must drive the Rangers out of our land, if they set foot within our borders the Empire may see it as a ruse of war to station troops within our borders."

"I suppose so as well." Duke Minamoto nodded solemnly. "It pains me to agree. At this stage, the Royal Army simply cannot withstand the Coronian Army in direct combat. They can very well subjugate our people to their control simply by their military strength alone."

A dark-haired man replied with a heavy-hearted nod. "Then I believe we have little choice but to agree to the Coronian Empire's demands..."

"... No, we shouldn't."

Asuka interjected in Akashiman, this time with a much calmer tone. The other dukes turned to look at her as well as Lady Akashima who appeared to be slightly surprised.

"...If we simply give in to the Empire now, it wouldn't matter, would it?"

The Duchess lifted her head slightly, a thought brewing in her mind. "If you would allow me, Your Imperial Majesty... I would like to state a case against allying ourselves with the Coronian Empire."

The other dukes looked at her in surprised contempt, but before they could formulate a rebuttal to her request, the Lady smiled and responded.

"Very well, Duchess of West Akashima. I will allow you to state your case here in the High Court."

Turning to the Coronian messenger, the Empress relayed her decision to her in perfect Coronian.

"If you may, Miss Revelst, we would like to hear more about the benefits this alliance would bring to both of our nations. As the Coronian government and the Akashiman Empire has had long been allies with each other since the demonic invasion, we would hate to enter into a war which we have no understanding of. If you may, we would like you to state your case within this court, tomorrow at the rise of dawn. We will have a member of our Council negotiate with you and construct a formal treaty, as per standard practice. Is this acceptable, Miss Revelst?"

Turning to Asuka, the Empress gave her a warm smile.

"I will appoint you the duty of negotiating with our honored guests, as your knowledge of the outside world is much more recent than many of us. We hope you uphold our kingdom's best interest in mind as well as the interest of our allies."

"Ha- I mean, I am deeply honored, your imperial highness!" Asuka stammered as she hastily accepted the royal decree, already feeling the enormous burden being thrown upon her shoulders.

---Footnote---
jo-ō: 女皇; Regina, a shortened form of josei tennō which means "female imperial ruler."

Lavinian Pride
09-14-09, 05:41 AM
The carriage ride from the palace was quiet.

There was no peace in that carriage as it moved diligently out of the palace gates, moving towards the seedier parts of town. There was no victory for the one known as Rachel, a woman known by another name entirely. As she sat in the carriage she viewed the world outside with disdain, almost befitting one of her artificially inflated station.

It was Father Bernard who broke the silence;

"You used a contraction."

Brown eyes whipped his with a feral ferocity. For a moment he felt infinitesimally small before the predatory gaze. The tension was so thick that it threatened to suffocate the only living thing inside the carriage before in soft Coronian the words rumbled, "And?"

"That was unacceptable, you know the rule-"

"Fuck your rules."

"So you're calling the deal off? Brave move for one such as yourself-"

Her gaze held his for a moment, before he forced himself to break it out of fear. She held him intently under the fiery glare before once more thunder echoed in her voice;

"She had better be here, or, by the gods above and below, I will gut every last one of you with nothing more than my bare hands if I need to."

Father Bernard adjusted his priestly collar as he squirmed under her glare. Now that they were free of onlookers some of the power had shifted in the favor of his charge. Not that he could blame her pouncing upon it. She was locked now in fierce negotiations with the red headed Duchess of Akashima. If she failed to show now, it would draw far too much suspicions. He had been told to expect such a power play after the initial meeting.

He was not expecting it to be so brutal. The efficiency with which she claimed the lives of not only him, but all the people working with them was uncanny. The confidence in her voice held a tone as cold as the dunes of Salvar, and nearly as deadly. Her demeanor had changed from one of nobility, to one of a killer, a person used to the concept of taking lives, even as she observed her gloves for dust with a feigned fascination.

This woman was far too dangerous to use after the mission, once she had the signed treaty, Father Bernard would have to dispose of the beast.

The carriage moved further through the town before it came to a halt in front of a place. The brunette peered through the curtains of her mobile coffin before with a scoff she spoke, "You must be kidding me."

"I wish I were, but the circumstances we had were rather limited. This is the only Coronian Empire friendly establishment we could get on such short notice. It was amazing we could even wrestle the contract from the Coalition either. They seemed dead set on keeping it. Was bought and paid for well before this spat occurred," Bernard explained. He then waited as the door was opened, revealing the coachman who made sure to offer his hand for Rachel.

She scoffed at it, before descending down the stair fluidly. Upon reaching the ground she scowled up at the priest, "So, you figure to insult me at every turn? Really? You could do no better than a brothel?" She gestured behind her at the rather interesting establishment. Women of many nationalities moved about in the building, all dressed in rather revealing attire. Some were entertaining customers, and more than a few were leading men to the back of the establishment, leaving very little to the imagination of what would soon happen.

The priest made his way down before he looked at the establishment. A sigh left his lips before he shook his head, "I was told the place would be shut down for normal business before we would arrive. It appears someone is pushing their luck. Like a certain woman I know..."

"Where is she? If she is in there-"

"Sarah!" The voice shattered the tension of the moment as a young girl moved swiftly towards the regally clad woman. A young child moved through the crowd of the brothel before hugging the woman tightly.

Instinctively the woman's arms wrapped about the slender girl's body, before she whispered softly, "Kid..."

"As I said, I upheld my end of the bargain. Now, if we can go inside, I'll have the establishment closed while I get your rooms cleaned out. You have until I get back," The priest said, moving into the establishment with a look of disgust on his face.

Sarah moved with Kid into the shade under the overhang of the building, and out of the sunlight before she sat down and sighed. The young girl known as kid immediately was hovering over her, commenting on her dress and how they had chosen the wrong colors. Her head shook softly before a single gloved hand went to the young girl's lips.

"Please, I'd rather forget I'm wearing this travesty of an outfit. Are you alright, are you hurt?" Sarah asked softly, the first genuine emotion entering her voice. Meanwhile, the tawny pre-teen moved about her, trying desperately to check on the vampiric vixen's condition. Sarah finally sighed before saying, "Really Kid, I'm fine..."

"I have everything Sarah; I managed to save most of your gear from the furnace. I don't think however, we're going to be able to make much use of it, since you can't have weapons..." The young girl explained. Sarah took the moment to drink in every last detail about the child she had come to care for.

Kid was rather skinny for a child her age, coming in at roughly four feet tall. Like Sarah her skin was a pale sheen, from lack of exposure to the sun, and her clothing was more befitting the street urchin she had become. At one time the girl had dressed much as Sarah was now, but time had reversed their roles in a cruel twist of fate. Her garb was that of a pair of leather pants, and a loose shirt to give the young woman some room to grow. The tomboyish look was only defused by the long ponytail of brown hair that was neatly kept, a hold over from her days as a vampiric toy.

Sarah smiled sadly as she looked upon the girl, knowing that the serenity of the situation could not last. Finally she spoke softly, "Keep my stuff Kid, I'll be sure to grab it as soon as I have this damnable treaty signed..."

"Isn't this betraying Letho? I mean, isn't he a Corone Ranger?"

The words were simplistic, but their underlying meaning was readily apparent. She was of course talking about betraying the man who had helped them escape and have a chance at this life. Now, now she was left with a hollow feeling in her chest when the large man was brought up. She was more than certain she was not going to enjoy talking to Letho after this was done.

"I wish it were that simple Kid, I wish this was as black and white as you’re painting it. It seems the Dahlios clan is cursed to deal in shades of gray," Sarah finally replied, before the people in the establishment moved swiftly about the area, some leaving, others cleaning the place up in haste. Sarah let out a sigh of long suffering before she whispered, "Give me a hug before they yank me off to the dog house will you? Remind me why I don't just give into my vampiric instincts?"

Kid immediately hugged her tightly, a hug that reminded her she was loved by someone, and she was cared for. It was a feeling she felt desperately little of now a days. The only thing keeping her afloat being these small sessions with the girl she had sold her soul to protect. Even as the guards showed up, to escort the girl away, Sarah could feel the vibrancy and warmth of the girl upon her, sparking a trail of goose bumps across her flesh, in a mockery of human imitation.

Mark my words Kid, you'll be free of this hypocrisy...