PDA

View Full Version : A short but unfinished story.

Mistress-Of-The-Maze
12-18-09, 12:05 AM
This is just a small story I started a while back after having a dream about it. As of yet I'm still uncertain whether or not I'll ever get around to finishing it ^.^' soooo... here it is for you guys to read if you feel like a momentary distraction from roleplaying :3

The library was a small building, hidden away from view of most passers by in a quiet corner of the town centre. Its walls were aged and grey, with flakes of stone cracking off in places and earthy green moss growing in others along with thick walls of ivy snaking their way to its roof. Its windows were surprising clean, if not totally so, with only the exception of one that was currently covered with faded yellow newspaper that threatened to flutter free when even the slightest breeze wheezed by.

The inside was thankfully better. It had a warm, comforting surrounding, with plenty of light for the occupants to see by along with a small multitude of tables, seats and even one or two small fluffy armchairs.

‘Yes,’ thought a tall young man as he walked through the ancient oak doorway, casting his eyes around room with a faint hint of boredom, ‘definitely the place for a bookworm.’ He sauntered casually through the isles, catching the gaze of one or two of it’s occupants as they took in his dark black shirt, rumpled slightly to look untidy but not so much that it would seem overly scruffy and the faded dark jeans that encased his long thin legs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the city library, everything had an order. The books were assorted into perfect alphabetical rows, the rows themselves sorted into aisles of genre and after that they were sorted into Non-fiction or Fiction. Even the patrons who frequented the ancient building's archives were ordered in some way or another.

A young man sighed from the desk he had been seated at for at least three hours straight, one side of his face balanced on the palm of his hand as he watched people come and go from one area of the library to another. Yes, he thought wryly, a small smile ghosting across his lips, he could tell easily who was going where and for what. Like that woman there, he mused, his sharp blue eyes taking in her crisp navy suit and immaculately coiffed hair, No doubt she will be headed towards the business section.

And this fellow. He added mentally, turning his eyes to a hurried looking young man, dressed in a rumpled white shirt and faded blue jeans, is obviously a student who has just realised he has a report to hand in tomorrow. He let loose a sigh of irritation at the predictability of people. He was rarely ever wrong.

“Jasper, stop staring into space and help me with the inventory!” growled a nearby female voice, jarring the young man from his observations. Jasper looked lazily over his shoulder, taking in the short, petite frame of his co-worker and her blazing chocolate brown eyes with disinterest.

“I’m on desk duty today,” he stated calmly, turning away from her in favour of reclining lazily in his chair, “Find someone else to help, Mayu.”

Mayu glared at him, her expression thunderous as she watched the young man. “Everyone else is busy, you’re not. Help.” she spoke through gritted teeth, hitting him on the top of his head with a book she had in hand. Jasper moved out of her reach, giving her a sideways reproachful look as he massaged his now throbbing head.

“Don’t give me that,” she warned, taking a seat beside him and sliding a large cardboard box toward him with her foot, “You weren’t doing anything.” She pushed a stamp and ink pad in front of him and sat down, a similar set placed before her. “Go through this box and mark up all these books for sale. God… I hate clear out week…”

He nodded quietly, tuning her out as he hefted the box onto the desk, dipping his hand inside and pulling out a book at random. Mayu continued to moan about work, absent-mindedly stamping a book and jotting down its information before tossing it into a nearby box. Jasper mirrored her actions, scanning through the books pages briefly with a bored air before stamping it.

This went on for half an hour; Mayu continued to moan and gripe and Jasper continued to tune her out, focused entirely on the task set before him.

“Hey Jasper, still rotting away in between the pages of these stuffy old books?” Mayu glanced up curiously at the voice while Jasper covered his face with a low groan. Perfect.