PDA

View Full Version : Castus Malum (Solo)

Aiko
12-31-09, 05:28 AM
Calbrena awoke in the darkness of her room. It was morning, but there were no windows, no light to see by. Still, she knew it was morning. Her brother, The Deadly Sin of Gluttony was cooking sausage and bacon. He was probably cooking a whole host of other things, but the scent of sausage and bacon were the only two scents that made it to her room.

Calbrena decided to lay there a moment or two longer, and enjoy the feel of her bed. It was soft and luxurious. The mattress was made of, and filled with, cotton Her blankets, and pillows were made from silk, both were stuffed with geese feathers from Corone. The bed itself was a four poster bed, with the posters made of oak. Satin curtains hung from the posters around her bed. Truly, it was the finest bed she had ever owned, a generous gift from her father, The Lord of The Abyss.

As she lay there, her mind wandered back to younger days, when her family would be cruel to her, and mistreat her. Yet that changed, when she admitted she wanted to become a sin like them. It was a deliciously cruel task to become a sin, all she had to do was murder a few innocent people, eat their organs, feed on their flesh, drink of their blood, and bathe in it. This act caused her good side to become destroyed, and enhanced her evil side, making her demonic form, complete. She considered herself completely evil now, and needed only to become more powerful. Yet for what cause? The concept of what to do with all that power hadn't yet occurred to her yet. But she was certain it would in due time.

Calbrena was at heart, a chaotic individual, doing what pleased her the most. She hardly ever planned long term, yet when she did, her plans were deviously complicated involving a large number of alternatives and backups. This allowed her the greatest range of options and freedom in her plans. Right now, her only plan was to get up and have breakfast. Yes, that was what would please her most right now. Gluttony was perhaps one of the greatest chefs in all of Althanas, primarily because he cooked so often. Thus to partake of his cooking was a chance one shouldn't miss.

She crawled out of bed with enough lethargy to make her wonder if she had in fact, been dead all night long and only returned to life with the onset of morning in The Abyss. As she stretched, trying to will away the lethargy, the torches on the walls set to burning revealing a sparsely furnished room. Her father had graced her with a vanity made of oak, a mirror with a silver frame, and an oak dresser.

The floor was comprised of the same cold gray stone the made up the rest of her father's castle, which everyone referred to as his manor, and in turn made up the rest of The Abyss. She opened a drawer in her dresser, second from the top, and pulled out a black silk dressing gown her older sister, The Deadly Sin of Pride, had given her. After she put it on, wrapping her wings around her to do so, Calbrena stopped to admire herself in the mirror. Her black long hair was messed up, but her red skin was as flawless as usual. She took a moment to step over to her vanity and brush her hair, then resumed admiring herself in the mirror.

“Watch out sisters, there's a new fox in this house.” she said to herself, commenting on her opinion of her own beauty.

At that moment, there came a knock at the door. Well, clearly it wasn't her family, they'd just enter without knocking. Except her father, but he'd pound heavily on the door, and this knock was lighter, more polite and formal.

Opening it revealed an ugly little demon that may or may not have been crossbred with a retarded chimpanzee. He was one of the castle servants, but he was well known. He didn't speak much, and when he did, they weren't really complete sentences. He was easily excited, and tended to shout at anyone that ignored him.

“Master wants you.” the servant said.

“Go away Grunk, I'm going to breakfast first.” Calbrena said, pushing the demon aside.

“NOW! NOW, NOW, NOW!” Grunk shouted.

“Alright alright, jeez, no need to shout about it.” Calbrena muttered.

Her father typically resided in his office, looking over the affairs of The Abyss. If Grunk wasn't happy about her going to breakfast first, that had to mean he was in his office. Calbrena wondered what he could want at this early hour. It had to be about seven in the morning. Couldn't it at least wait until her stomach was happy?

Regardless, she went to see him, and as she expected, he was standing, gazing into his magic mirror which let him look upon any location in Althanas at will and observe all the sights there, as well as hear the sounds. Presently it was black, which was unusual. Today her father wore a brown suit, he was fond of suits. He turned to face her.

“Good of you to come before breakfast. Please, sit.” her father said.

“What did you want to see me for, and why couldn't it wait until breakfast?” Calbrena asked.

“Your training of course. You did say, you wanted to become a sin. Well, you have the body, now you need to become just as evil, if not more so, and just as powerful, if not more so, than your brothers and sisters.” her father said.

“But daddy, I'm evil already, I mean I killed innocent people without provocation.” Calbrena protested.

Her father raised an eyebrow, before smiling. She was trying to wheedle a compliment out of him. As a master manipulator of others, he always knew when someone was trying to control him, and she never called him daddy unless she wanted something. Usually it was Father, or, Sir, but Sir only got used when she was disappointed.

“I am indeed proud of your progress, yes you've killed innocent people, so has every two bit imitator from Scara Brae to Istraloth and everywhere in between and beyond. If you really want to be evil, then you need to go to the one place where evil is worshiped, and study under the masters. There is a place known only as Castus Malum, it is not of this plane, nor any other. It is its own plane, reachable only through Phantaria, and even then, only under certain conditions with the proper key. At least, for you it is reachable in that fashion. Those who have been to Castus Malum, and gained the approval of its masters may come and go from Castus Malum freely. I will enable most of these conditions, and give you the proper key, however you must fulfill the last one alone. You must select one person to accompany you, one person you are not related to, that you have at least a good friendship with. You know who I'm talking about, he's the only one that meets the requirements. But you should know, that everyone who enters Castus Malum for the first time is tortured in some fashion, there is no exception to this rule. However, even I gained most of my power there. You don't have time to both eat, and get dressed. It's one or the other.” Her father said.

“Yeah, thanks Dad for letting me know something in advance so I could be ready.” Calbrena grumbled as she moved off to go eat.

Her father arched an eyebrow as she left. Dad? That was new.

Aiko
12-31-09, 08:38 AM
After getting something to eat, Calbrena shuffled off towards the front door to go to Abys Symal where Azash lived. To her surprise, he was at the front door.

“Your father said you wanted to see me this morning?” he said, as she gasped in surprise.

“Uhh, yes, I just wasn't expecting you here, now, that's all. Come, let's go to my father's study.” Calbrena said.

Azash walked behind Calbrena, his eyes following her hips. He thought he was here for a bit of fun, not knowing the real reason he was called. Once they arrived, he was mildly surprised to see her father still in his study, and a bit concerned as to why he was called.

“Azash, I have the potential to grow in power, but I need you to go with me, I can't bear to go alone. Your the only one I want to go with me. There's a place called Castus Malum, it's the plane of evil, that's why my father called you here today.” Calbrena said.

Azash shuddered at the thought of an evil plane. He honestly didn't think Calbrena needed anywhere special to become more powerful, she only needed to practice and train. Besides that, an evil plane, why would any sane being want to go there? Azash was a kind-hearted person at heart. If he had been born as any other race, he would've made a mighty champion for the side of good, yet his demonic heritage held him back, and he lacked the conviction to overcome it.

“Look, it's not that I don't want to go with you, I'd be willing to go anywhere with you. But, why Castus Malum? It's name sounds like pure evil. Can't you simply practice and train here?” Azash asked.

“But Azash, my father trained there, and look at how powerful he is. I really want to go there, won't you go with me? It'd be both a fun adventure and a memorable date all in one.” Calbrena pleaded.

The comment about her father didn't win any points with Azash. He was terrified of Xith'rith'xail, Lord of The Abyss. He wasn't a bad ruler, in fact he was pretty fair. However, the fact that The Abyss was crime free solely because criminals tended to disappear permanently after going before Xith'rith'xail made Azash suspicious of their fate. It didn't matter how serious or how petty the crime, everyone disappeared.

“You can train daily with me and achieve the same power, we'll become more powerful together.” Azash said gently.

Calbrena turned away from him and began to sob quietly. If Azash had suspected she was simply faking to get what she wanted, he would've walked out on her, left The Abyss, and had a far brighter future. However, Azash had begun to fall for Calbrena, and his growing emotions blinded him to this, making him feel guilty.

“I'm sorry, I didn't know it meant that much to you. We can go, together, just please, stop crying.” Azash said.

Calbrena smiled a wicked little smile at her father, before adopting the most pitiful face she could manage, and turning back to Azash. She flung her arms around him and covered him in warm kisses.

“Oh thank darkness. Now I can drop this shield in my mirror. Using certain spells, I can turn it into a gateway of the place it projects. Pretty handy. Currently, it's your doorway into Phantaria, the land of doors. I warn you, you might get separated, you might even encounter resistance. But I'll be watching. I'll be waiting. When necessary, I'll use my powers to intervene as appropriate. But if you do something stupid that would kill you, I'll let you die, just fair warning. Your trail will be marked by a growing sense of evil. When you reach a gate that terrifies you with it's mere presence, your there.” Xith'rith'xail said.

With that, he drew them both into the gateway in his mirror, and then closed it behind them, returning it to it's normal imaging state. Azash and Calbrena looked at each other, then looked around, not feeling any sort of evil at all.

Phantaria was the land of doors, the plane which separated and connected all other planes. It manifested as a colossal building, what sort was up to the imagination of whomever entered Phantaria. It's halls were lined with doors, each leading to a different plane, a different place within that plane, and some, to a different time within that plane and place. The plane was neither hot, nor cold. It wasn't any sort of temperature at all, and as such, felt pleasant to both demons. Gravity appeared to be normal, but in larger rooms, they would discover that gravity was actually towards whatever surface they happened to be standing upon, meaning all direction was subjective, according to where they were standing.

Not knowing this, the pair set off to explore randomly, hoping to either find the door by accident, or by finding the growing sense of evil that marked its existence. They walked past a variety of doors, some marked, some not. Many had a portal to look through and see where that door lead too. Peeping in one door, Calbrena blushed, and looked away. It lead to a bedroom belonging to someone of great wealth. Whether it was the man, or the woman, Calbrena didn't know, but she did know they were having sex with each other. Then she stopped, a grin spreading across her face as Azash peeped in, then looked away as well. She banged on the door as loud as she could.

“CAUGHT YOU!” she yelled through the door.

The pair suddenly separated and looked around with expressions of guilt written on their faces. Neither was apparently magically gifted, or realized that Calbrena was speaking from another plane. Azash shook his head in exasperation.

“We're lucky they don't have any detection spells, or we might've been found out, and then attacked. Furthermore, what if that door lead into the past, and you just prevented someone from being conceived? Why, you might have just altered the present.” Azash said sternly, not liking Calbrena's prank.

“It lead to the present thank-you very much, it said so on the door itself. But I get your point, I'll leave well-enough alone, liar's honor.” Calbrena said, and then walked off.

“Thank you. Wait, HEY!” Azash said, realizing what she just said, and rushed to catch up.

They moved up corridors and down hallways, still, finding no trace of any terrifying door. They did discover however, doors that lead to the future. These were difficult to find, difficult to open, and difficult to get to. Calbrena peeked into one, and gasped, for she saw herself. She was obviously far more powerful than she was now, she could simply feel it. She was also married, nine months pregnant and on the verge of giving birth. She looked away, and then looked at Azash, giving him a hard look.

“You jackass, you get me pregnant and leave me standing in a cave somewhere waiting out a thunderstorm, and right as I'm about to give birth!” she said, slapping him on the shoulder.

“Well, I'm sure I had a good reason, I wouldn't leave you in that condition. Let me look.” Azash said.

“No. Now move it buster, before I decide to change that future by removing something in the present.” Calbrena said, making a threat she had no intention of carrying out. Azash smiled, knowing that future couldn't possibly come true, as he wouldn't leave her if he got her pregnant. So it probably changed by now, now that they knew it could happen.

They moved on, and came to a room large enough to fit her father's castle in. It was filled with pathways and doors in archways, everything running a variety of angles. Calbrena thought they had come to a dead end, and to prove it, leapt upon the wall, thinking she would slide down, but to her surprise, she stuck fast, as though she were laying down. She tried to stand up, and succeeded in doing so. Azash tilted his head to the side in surprise and wonder, then tried it himself and succeeded. Together they walked down this new path, huddled close together because of a small feeling of apprehension that started to make itself known in them.

“I wonder what other surprises this place will through at us.” Azash said, holding Calbrena's hand for reassurance. Whether it was his reassurance or hers he wasn't sure about. But Calbrena wasn't pulling away.

“I don't know, but one of the characteristics of an evil presence is fear and apprehension. Nervousness, terror, the strong desire to run away, so, all we have to do is run towards what's making us afraid.” Calbrena said.

“You're joking, right?” Azash asked.

“I wish I was.” Calbrena said.

They walked on in grim silence, as the feeling grew stronger. Eventually they found themselves in a room of doors. The room was in the shape of a cube, and looked to be twice as large as the previous room. Hallways were next to doors, and each door lead to a different part of Phantaria. A platform floated in the middle, with a glowing white door on it. Both were curious as to what lay behind that door, and resolved to find out. They looked around the room, and spotted a ledge that went close enough for Calbrena to glide from, and Azash to make an Ice bridge from. But how to get there?

They tried hallways randomly, with no success, each hallway wrapped around Phantaria, and came back to another spot, but not one of them that they tried so far lead to that ledge. They tried systematically, going for hallways that appeared to go up, if they were below it, and hallways that appeared to go down if they were above it. This didn't work either. Finally, they were on the opposite side of the ledge, and found a hallway that went straight. They followed it up, down, left, right, it curved round and around going back on itself, and came out on the very ledge they wanted. Both sighed, then Calbrena glided the short distance to the platform, and Azash made an ice bridge for himself to walk on.

They reached the glowing white door, and found it locked, with no portal to look through. Now they were stuck, because while the ledge they came from was twenty feet away, it was also ten feet up, and neither had the skill for such a climb. Just as they were contemplating resting for awhile, a ghostly hand, seemingly made of Lave went through the door, opening it. Both went through the door excitedly. They found themselves in a corridor that was so long it made both wonder if they were seeing things. It had no doors, hidden or otherwise, and no branching hallways. Behind them was the exact same thing. They walked forward, having little choice in the matter. After several rests, and three solid days of walking, they came to the end of the corridor, and decided they didn't want to walk that corridor ever again as long as they lived. But what greeted them made them want to run the entire length of the corridor, for they had found the very gate they were looking for.

“By the gods, I never thought I would be in the presence of this monstrosity. Calbrena, I've heard of this thing, I wish I had known we were looking for The Black Gate, I never would've come, not for all the money and power in Althanas. I've no wish to intrude upon her domain.” Azash whispered almost sobbing.

The gate in question was staring at them with a single eyeball that burned with suspicion. The Black Gate was apparently floating in midair, unsupported by any visible means, nor by any apparent force. It seemed made of metal, yet this metal was monsterous, for it twisted and writhed like a plague of living insects, each endlessly crawling over the other. The rustle of insects rubbing against each other filled their ears, and even though they put their hands over their ears, it didn't stop out the horrible sound. Tentacles came out from behind the door, reaching for them, but they stopped just inside of a field of darkness that surrounded the door.

“What's The Black Gate, besides the thing that's trying to grab us?” Calbrena whispered back.

“I don't know much about it, mostly legend and rumor. It's said that after Althayne separated into the Thayne, N'jal, angry she had been cast aside, decided to build a secret place of her own to plot a way to become equal to her brothers and sisters once more. So she left the Firmament, and traveled Phantaria until at last she came to an empty room. There she ripped open a gateway to force a new plane to come into being. To keep her siblings and those like them out, she constructed The Black Gate, a living breathing door that's supposed to eat anyone that isn't like N'jal. When she was imprisoned, her spirit sought out those like her, and asked that they guarded her secret place, and in return, promised that they could use it as well, so long as they all shared it equally and didn't destroy it.” Azash said whispered, his heart beating fast.

“That could very well be how Castus Malum came into being.” Calbrena whispred, her heart seemingly trying to escape its confinement.

Both felt, that if they spoke normally, the door would hear them, and eat them. A pair of Ghostly hands picked them up, seemingly both seemingly made of lava, and set them down at the base of the door.

“Let's get out of here!” Azash yelled in terror as he lurched to his feet and took off running. Calbrena was backing away from the door, using her hands to pull her, and her feet to push her, unable to concieve of the thought of standing up.

The door was faster than they were, and picked them both up. It held them up to its eye, it's gaze piercing into their hearts, seeing all that was hidden within. Then, it cracked open, the voices of a great many crying in protest, as though the insects seemingly crawling upon it were harmed by its movement. All either saw was teeth lining a dark and infinite expanse. The tentacles threw them in, and the door snapped shut behind them.

Aiko
01-01-10, 08:25 PM
Darkness, that was all Calbrena knew. She wasn't moving, she was laying on something. Her eyes scanned the darkness around her, looking for any sign of Azash, or where they were. Suddenly it felt like she was flying, but towards what?

Sight returned as a doorway appeared before her, it appeared to be a temple, she moved inside, grateful to be out of that dark place. Azash stood beside her, gripping her tail furiously. He let go and grabbed her hand instead.

The rest of her senses returned, though immediately she wished they hadn't. First there was the smell. It assaulted her nose vigorously. In it, she could detect blood, and bile. They seemed to be accompanied by rot and decay, telling signs of death. But the screams were worse.

“Oh gods, someone help me!” she heard a male voice cry from somewhere distance.

“Just let me go!” A female voice sobbed.

Elsewhere, a voice was screaming, as though in great pain.

“GET THEM OFF OF ME!” it desperately pleaded.

Azash and Calbrena huddled together, not liking this place at all. They felt an overwhelming sense of evil from it. Looking for a doorway to leave through, all they could find was a door that lead deeper into the temple. The door they had entered from was gone, replaced by a tan stone that seemed harder than granite, yet seemed as smooth as marble, the whole room seemed to be made of this. There was no furniture in this room, it was remarkably bear. It's sole function was to be the primary method of entering and leaving Castus Malum. But then, how did they leave Castus Malum?

They heard a rustling sound in the doorway, and seeing its source caused them more fright, for to their eyes, Death itself had come for them. The light of Castus Malum was sourceless, though there were torches burning in various places. Yet this figure's presence caused the light to go dim, as though it brought darkness with it wherever it went. It wore a black robe with a black hood, and that's all anyone could see of the figure, for a black fog hung about it and obscured it.

Calbrena and Azash screamed in terror and huddled in a corner, realizing they had made the wrong decision. The figure simply stood there and watched. Slowly, it stood aside, and pointed at the room beyond the doorway. Azash and Calbrena didn't want to move, but the thing's power wrapped itself around them, and forced them to move through the door.

The next room contained the same sounds of torture, the same tan stone, but it had furnishings. It was large, and contained a great many statues, and each had an alter before them. Azash looked at the statues carefully.

“Your father, N'jal, D, some I don't recognize, many I do. Calbrena, these statues are all of Dark Gods, of different religions. I dare say, every Dark God with any influence in Althanas is here in this room.” Azash said.

Calbrena and Azash stood before her father's alter.

“But why are they all here?” Calbrena asked.

“Perhaps the story I told you is true.” Azash said.

They turned as they felt the entity that forced them in here approach.

“Indeed, all Dark Gods hold power here. Collectivly, they are known as The Dark Pantheon. The Dark Lady, N'jal, stands at the head of The Dark Pantheon as its queen. Allow me to welcome you to her domain, Castus Malum, where acts condemned as evil may be freely partaken of without fear of reprisal. It was N'jal who created Castus Malum ages ago, and in turn, created me to guard it against any who made it past The Black Gate. Now I serve The Dark Pantheon, since she decided to allow all Dark Gods to share in the security of Castus Malum. I am The Scion of Evil, and if you don't tell me why you have invaded Castus Malum, weak daughter of evil, then I shall torture you for eternity for your laxity.” The entity said.

Calbrena heaved a small sigh of relief. It could sense that she was on its side, no matter how small her powers were, no matter how weak her alignment with evil was, and so was allowing her to defend herself.

“I am Calbrena, eighth spawn of The Lord of The Abyss whose statue stands behind me. It was he who sent me here to train under the guidance and direction of Castus Malum, and bid me to bring my blue friend along, Azash, whose skill with magic matches my own.” Calbrena said, trying her best to not sound afraid despite the tremble in her voice giving her away.

The Scion of Evil nodded. Whether or not it smiled, or could smile remained a mystery. It moved toward them.

“Then I welcome you to Castus Malum.” The Scion said. It gathered them both up in its arms, and embraced them.

The mere touch of The Scion of Evil brought immense and unbearable pain, filling all of Calbrena and Azash's consciousnesses with great agony. It was too much for them, and so before The Scion released them, they blacked out. Of course, this was why The Scion embraced them in the first place, to take them deep within Castus Malum without them knowing where they were.

Aiko
01-02-10, 09:33 AM
Calbrena awoke in Azash's arms. They were laying on a simple cot in an unfurnished room. They both awoke at the same moment, and for one second, forgot where they were.

“I'm glad to see you are awake.” The Scion said, standing at the foot of their cot.

Instead of the smiles they were going to have, both immediately frowned and turned to The Scion.

“Can't you give us some time alone?” Azash growled.

“No. Yes, I know your girlfriend is easy. No I won't give you time to sate your carnal desires. Instead, I will torture you both for the afternoon. I will show you Castus Malum since she came her to train. I will expose her to pain and suffering, to horror and nightmares. I will break her mind and her spirit, and rebuild it in the image of Castus Malum. If she survives, but does not gain my approval, then I will torture you both for eternity. If she gains my approval, but fails to gain that of The Dark Pantheon, then I will torture her for eternity. If she gains all approval, then you will be allowed to live, and she will be allowed to train under my direction in Castus Malum. I will make her a priestess, and give her the ability to come and go from Castus Malum as she pleases, without journeying through the land of doors.” The Scion said.

“Why torture us for eternity, why not just kill us?” Azash asked.

“My dear man, whatever makes you think death could end your suffering?” The Scion asked.

Azash paled, and decided he would do whatever it took to leave Castus Malum.

“Calbrena, let's just find a way to get out of here, this isn't the place for us. We don't need it to become stronger. We'll just be killed and tortured no matter what we do.” Azash said, pleading with Calbrena.

“My father would not have sent us here is he did not think we could make it. He cares about us.” Calbrena said.

“If your father cared about you, he would not have sent you into my dark embrace to suffer the possibility of eternal damnation in Castus Malum, constantly being tortured in new and inventive ways.” The Scion said.

Calbrena paled and began to tremble slightly.

“Impossible, my father cares about me, he loves me. He wants me to be strong to further his glory. I can meet with your approval and that of anyone else, just give me the chance. I'm not some weakling out to make a name for herself, I'm here to become powerful, to be somebody. To prove to my father I'm worth his concern. He's been cruel for so long, I will prove that his newfound love and care for me is not misplaced. I will prove to my brothers and sisters that I'm as evil as they are.” Calbrena declared.

“Believe what you will girl, your not worth a used cob. You're an easy slut that would sleep with any interested party, you have no power worth concerning yourself over, you are weaker than any worthwhile fighter in your experience range, you are over-obsessive about how evil you are, just because you recently gained a full demonic form, and you dance like a drunk baboon, despite your opinions to the contrary.” The Scion said.

Calbrena sat up, angry.

“How dare you! How do you even know all that? How can you say that? You're wrong about me. Take me on this tour of yours, test me, I'll show you I'm worth your concern.” Calbrena said.

“I will answer one question of yours. I am The Scion of Evil, it is in my power to know everything about any entity that dares to enter my domain. I speak only truth, when I speak about you. What I did not mention, is that you have the potential to become better than you are now.” The Scion said.

“Whatever. Sorry for ignoring you Azash, but I'm not letting this go. I have to prove myself to him. Let's go.” Calbrena said, getting out of the cot.

Azash reluctantly got to his feet, and trailed behind Calbrena and The Scion as they left the room. He believed in Calbrena, he cared about her, why couldn't she see she didn't need this place? He would have to open her eyes, no matter what it took.

Aiko
01-02-10, 08:06 PM
Calbrena thought she would be prepared for what Castus Malum had to offer, but she discovered a part of her still clung to notions of kindness and benevolence. The Scion had taken her to another room. In this room, victims were made to kneel before a pedestal, their arms were wrapped around it and chained, to prevent them from escaping. Other chains locked their legs to the floor.

Then, The Scion grabbed a metal rod, and stuck it in a fire. To the pedestal chained this time was a young man, about eighteen years old. He had black hair, and fair unblemished skin. His eyes were blue, and filled with terror. His entire body shook with fear, afraid of what might happen to him.

“This one was caught sneaking out to see his lover late at night. He will provide much power to Castus Malum. His lover certainly did, her screams echo down the corridors from other parts of the plane. Brand him as our property.” The Scion said.

Calbrena's stomach knotted in fear. She didn't want to do this, what was she going to gain from it? When she killed before, she had profited from it, but now, what if he escaped? He would know her as his brander. Besides, it wouldn't kill him, he would still be alive, filled with pain. Slowly, she reached for the branding iron.

“No, please, don't. Don't hurt me, just let me go.” the young man pleaded.

When Calbrena touched the branding iron, it seemed to twitch in her hand, feeling like a living thing. Azash turned away, unable to watch. Calbrena looked at The Scion, hoping she really didn't have to do this to prove herself to him, but The Scion simply watched, it's arms folded across its chest. Calbrena took a deep breath, and pressed the white hot brand against the young man's left shoulder in the back and drew it away quickly.

The young man jumped and screamed in pain, his shoulder twitching in agony. Calbrena threw the brand off to the side, and The Scion picked it up and put it away.

“You do well. Behold the brand on his shoulder is a reflection of you. This young man is officially your property. We will keep him with all the other slaves.” The Scion said.

Calbrena's mind turned inward upon itself. Had she really just branded someone? She couldn't help but picture Azash in the man's place, begging her, pleading with her to be set free. She had branded someone, how could she be so cruel? How could she do that to another living thing? She shook her head and backed away, horrified with what she had done.

“Your thoughts betray you. Tell me Calbrena, do you know what Evil is, truly? Do you, from a philosophical standpoint, understand evil?” The Scion said.

“I, yes. evil is the opposite of good.” Calbrena said.

“Very good, for a child! You are no child Calbrena, you are a full grown woman without innocence and purity to blind you. I expect a better answer from you.” The scion said.

He lead them on to another room. In this room, an iron coffin without a bottom stood atop a grate, welded and firmly attached to the structure. A servant in black robes brought in a young elven woman, with red hair and green eyes. He put her in the coffin, then locked and sealed it shut. The Scion held up a hand, and the servant bowed, retreating to another room.
“I have a bucket of cold water here. Calbrena, pour this water upon those hot coals. This is a device from Akashima, known as the Chinese Iron Maiden. It differs from other Iron Maidens, in that it does not use spikes.” The Scion said.

Calbrena poured the water on the coals, knowing it would explode into steam. She couldn't tell what evil steam would do, it was just a little steam after all. As she predicted, not much happened, besides the woman coughing a little.

“I've robbed her of her ability to speak, or move. I don't want her to interrupt our discussion. So tell me then, have you thought of a better answer to my question? What is evil?” The Scion asked.

“Evil is doing harm to an object, or a creature.” Calbrena said.

“Interesting, but then I ask of you. In another universe governed by a different set of laws created by a single deity, there was once a mighty angel who decided he was superior to his creator, and should then take his master's place. Could his actions not be construed as evil?” The scion asked.

“But what evil has he done? He only foolishly turned against his god. He is still innocent.” Calbrena said.

“True, but consider this. In another time and place, there was a man who rose to rule an entire nation. He had certain views about how things should be, and there was a race of people who didn't fit in with his world views, so he decided they should all die. He sent his armies out to find and slaughter them all, the complete extermination of an entire species. Most regrettably, his neighbors all ganged up on him and forced him to stop. Now, he never once hurt any of these people himself, he merely issued orders. Is he evil, or is he something else?” The Scion asked.

“I, I guess.” Calbrena said, faltering.

“So then, I repeat myself, what is evil?” The Scion asked.

The woman started screaming and banging on the coffin. The scion had released the hold. The steam was boiling her alive. They stood there for awhile, while she banged on the door, screaming for release, begging for relief. She was willing to do anything, anything at all. Slowly, her screams died down, and her banging stopped. She had been boiled alive.

He lead them on. Calbrena's mind was refusing to accept that she had so far tortured two people. She wasn't a torturer, she was a killer. Quick and painless. It was stressful on her, for despite all her minds objections, she had done it anyway, and was unable to convince herself otherwise.

“Now, before we move on to more, inventive forms of torture, I have another one for you.” The Scion said.

He lead them to a room with a bed in it. Four posters had chains attached to them. Rats were nesting a corner on one wall, white hot coals burned in a fireplace near by. Metal buckets filled with cold water sat in a corner. On the opposing wall, where rods, whips, chains, hooks, an other flogging devices.

“This one is entirely upon you, Calbrena, you must do this one all by yourself. Show me your evil, like you said you were. Show me your powerful. Select a victim and torture them using only your imagination.” The Scion said.

Calbrena thought of the other two, then decided upon a torture she had heard of once. Tears streaked down her face, she didn't want to do this, but if she didn't, she'd be tortured herself. It was simple survival, that's all. That's what she kept telling herself.

She selected a dwarf from a cage in the back, and tried to drag him, but he escaped her grasp. The Scion assisted with his power. After securing The Dwarf to the bed, she emptied two of the buckets of water, throwing them at the prisoners. In one she gathered five of the rats, and put them on the dwarf's belly, putting the bucket over them to keep them there. In the other, she gathered two of the white hot lumps of coal, using a metal rod from the flagellation wall to get them. Then she put the two on top of the other bucket which held the rats.

“Ahh, the rat torture. I had forgotten about this excellent method.”

The Dwarf screamed and shook in pain as the rats clawed into his belly, trying to escape the heat by any means possible. The Scion used his powers to keep the bucket and coals in place.

“You never answered my question, Calbrena. Despite our observations, you've never told me what evil truly is.” The Scion said.

“Despite all our observations, I don't know what evil truly is. Maybe it doesn't exist.” Calbrena said.

Azash thought he was going to be sick. This wasn't like Calbrena. He needed to get her out of here.

“Cally, what are you doing? Why are you harming innocent people? Let's get out of here, and go somewhere nicer where we can forget all about this.” Azash said.

“It's too late, little man. She has done these things with her own hands, of her own free-will. I never said I would hurt her for not participating. I never said she had to watch and observe. I never said she had to do any of what she's done, I only said she had tour Castus Malum. She can't forget this, and she never will. For now it tortures her, as she has tortured others. Eventually, if she trains properly, the memories will bring her joy and happiness.” The Scion said.

The Scion's words did even more damage to Calbrena's mind.

“I didn't have to do this? I didn't have to participate? But how else would I prove to him, how would I gain his approval? No, I needed to do this to survive! But, if I didn't have to do this, then why did I need it? Why did I do it? To prove to myself I'm worthy, I already knew I'm worthy. What kind of a monster am I, that I would need to torture innocent beings? The Scion lies, that's all, if I didn't torture them, I would've been tortured. He said so himself.” Her thoughts were in a tumult.

“Calbrena, I give you an honest word, on your father's power, you didn't have to participate to gain my approval.” The Scion said.

Calbrena simply stared at The Scion, her expression one of shock and sadness. Her eyes slowly traveled down to her hands, held out before her.

“What have I done?” she asked herself quietly.

Aiko
01-03-10, 10:03 AM
“Since obviously you know nothing of evil, let us move on then.” The scion said, leaving the dwarf to suffer a slow agonizing death via the rat torture.

Calbrena followed along, Azash walked closely to her, worried. He could see in her eyes, something was not quite right. He would try again to convince her to leave. They stopped at a large pit filled with a wide variety of insects.

“From the deepest bogs and caverns to the airiest peaks, insects cover the world. We have taken the deadliest, and crossbred them into a single species. Behold N'jal's insect swarm, an improved version of Rat Torture. In this pit a person is thrown, and from it they can never escape. The insects burrow into their flesh, and slowly devour them from the inside out. Each part they take, they replace with eggs which hatch and mutate into a symbiotic parasite that takes over the lost functions. The victim stays alive for months on end, with one staying alive an entire year. Each day, they lose a little more of themselves, unable to move, for the bite of these insects is paralyzing. The worst part comes when you can see an insect before your eyes, only to slowly move your hand to wipe it away and realize it is in fact, inside your eye. If your lucky, you go blind then. If not, you see a little longer, and watch as they eat your eyes. Vocal cords are often severed early, so don't worry about screaming. Some recall moments before death, a painful burning sensation in their groins. Don't worry, it's just the insects, eating your reproductive organs, adding to their own already voracious virility. After you die, the symbiotic parasites go into another mutation, and become new insects to add to the swarm. In essence, N'jal's insect swarm mutates your flesh into more of the swarm. It is your spiritual energy which keeps this swarm alive, that which nourishes them and gives them sustenance.

Tell me Calbrena, while you ponder the horrors of what you have seen, and partaken of, what do you know of the nature of good?” The Scion asked.

Calbrena stared at a marked slave, whose eyes bored into her with a marked look of hate. She stood opposite the insect swarm.

“What are you staring at? You don't know how hard this is on me.” Calbrena said. She walked around the pit, and the slave rose to slap Calbrena, but Calbrena easily dodged. Calbrena simply pushed the slave into the insect pit, causing The Scion to nod in approval. The slave began screaming and thrashing about, but the insects covered her body, and began biting her. Slowly her thrashing died down, but she kept screaming. Thankfully, some insects began burrowing into her throat. This was accomplished quickly, and the woman's screams suddenly died underneat the rustle of the moving insects.

“Clearly, I know nothing of good. No good person can harm another without cause, and though she stared at me with hate for what I am and am trying to accomplish, it still is not sufficient cause to do to her what I have just done. The nature of good is to take care of others and look out for their interests instead of your own. Above and beyond that, it's tenants are naught but weaknesses. If that be so, then the nature of evil is to look out for yourself first.” Calbrena said.

“Indeed, but if you had a child, Calbrena, would you take care of it as a mother must, placing the child's interests above your own? You are a creature of evil, you say so yourself. By your own creed, you should abandon the child, for its interests must take priority over your own.” The Scion said.

“You have me there, but surely my interests and the child's interests can coincide, as any successful parent's interests must.” Calbrena said.

“Even still, you say evil looks out for itself first. What if it's more evil to take care of a child, prophesied to bring forth great evil, but throughout its entire life, this child always takes care of others first? What if this same child is instead, foretold to bring forth great good, but always looks out for itself before all others. Can evil actions bring about good results? Does the end, justify the means?” The Scion asked.

“Then perhaps I don't understand, but Of course, killing someone is not something a good person would do." Calbrena said.

"Ahh," The Scion replied, "but what if that one death would save a multitude, surely it is good then?" The scion asked.

"Maybe, definitely yes." Calbrena said, unsure of what her answer should be.

"And what then, if that one death, is of someone who is pure, innocent, and the multitude being saved is full of criminals, psychopaths, and other assorted evil villains? Is that one death still good?" The Scion asked.

"I don't know." Calbrena replied, tears welling up. She didn't understand why The Scion was pressing her so hard for answers to things she neither knew nor cared about. This place was wrong, she was wrong. The nature of good and evil was irrelevant, her actions would speak for themselves. But, if she said that, then The Scion would torture her surely.

Her imagination played tricks on her. She was inside the iron maiden. Steam was welling up through the grate. It was stifling hot inside there, she didn't know how long she could take it. She was burning up. She pounded on the coffin, and to her relief it opened. She fell out, onto a pile of rats.

They were climbing over her, gnawing on her. She could feel their tails dragging across her skin. She was too weak, too tired to move. She moaned listlessly, as she opened one eye to see insects crawling over it. She wiped them away, but they remained, she tried to scream, but no sound came. The rats had turned to insects, and they were eating her alive!

Above it all, she could see The Scion of Evil leering down at her from within the darkness of its hood, watching her.

“You failed, your too weak, you don't even have the stomach for simple tortures. You don't understand the basics of what your trying to achieve, nor how to differentiate it from it's opposite, least you do more good then harm in your endeavors. You'll never be as sinful as your brothers and sisters, Corruption. Now you will die, tortured forever inside my temple.” The Scion said.

It's hands reached out for her, jolting her back to reality.

“GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!” she screamed suddenly jumping backward.

To her surprise, it was merely Azash, reaching out to keep her from falling over into the pit.

“Are you alright Cally? You looked like you were about to faint. You really need to get out of here. Pray to your father, or a god of light. Someone's bound to let us out.” Azash said.

“Don't waste your breath, little man. None can escape Castus Malum unless I allow them to escape, for I and I alone hold the keys to the gate.” The Scion said.

Aiko
01-03-10, 08:46 PM
The Scion moved them well away from the pit of insects, closer to another machine. Seeing the pair look at it curiously, he decided to explain it.

“Sticks and stones might break bones, but for drawing blood, metals shall always sit on the throne. Behold The Eviscerator, a device of sacrifice. We strap a victim to the platform, sharpen the knives and start the machine. It hollows out their insides, leaving a husk where once a person lay. But enough of that. If you know nothing of good or evil, and what their natures truly are, then surely you at least have a sense of the meaning and natures of sin, ethics, and morality. Considering your family, I would be surprised if you did not.” The Scion said.

“Sure, that's easy. Sin, ethics, and morality are all aspects of law. It doesn't matter if its divine law, or mortal law. Ethics and Morality define the law, giving a specific direction and method for life, determining what one can or cannot do. Sin, is the violation of law, usually reserved for defining those who break divine law, but in extreme cases, can also be used to define those who violate mortal laws. Yet, ethics and morality vary according to nation, and further still, according to the societies within that nation, and according to each religion in the world. Some are similar, some are different, yet none are truly wrong. Leaders tell their people that the members of this other society, this other nation or religion, they are evil, because they do not follow the right set of guidelines.

The opposition says the same thing about the others. They say this, because it allows them to bring harm to each other, without guilt weighing upon their minds. Of course, the same goes for those who follow a similar, or compatible set of morals and ethics, a similar code of law. They are good people and should not be harmed. They might be backwards about it, but their still good people.” Calbrena said.

“So we're back to good and evil then. What is the nature of good and evil Calbrena?” The Scion asked.

“I don't know! Their just words to me. I act, and let my actions speak for themselves. Good and evil are meaningless, they don't exist!” Calbrena said, desperate to move onto an easier subject besides a philosophical topic.

“But they must, why else would the world hold onto such concepts for so long if they didn't?” The Scion asked.

Calbrena shook her head and backed away. She tripped over her own tail and wings, falling over into a blackness that consumed her.

Knives started descending towards her, a machine was moving them back and forth. Calbrena screamed and rolled off the platform into the darkness.

“Don't you understand me?” Azash asked, representing goodness.

“How could she, when she doesn't understand me?” The Scion asked, representing evil.

“Just go away and leave me alone, both of you! I just wanted power, that's all.” Calbrena cried as she ran.

“Power takes time to grow, this you already know. Only false, or temporary power can be given instantly. Is this what you desire?” The Scion asked.

“No!” Calbrena objected.

“Then suffer my wrath. If your not willing to accept my gifts and expand your understanding, then you deserve to be destroyed.” The Scion said.

Calbrena stopped suddenly. A white hot brand was coming for her. Her worst fear was to be enslaved, and yet she had put that burden upon someone else. She tried to run, but the brand hit her on the back.

Back in reality, Azash ran to her side as Calbrena fell, and started to kick about screaming.

“You've hurt her!” he declared accusingly.

“To the contrary, all I have done is ask her questions. She desires evil and power. How can she be evil, if she doesn't understand what evil is? How can she have power, if she does not understand where it comes from?” The Scion said.

“Then why is she like this?” Azash asked, tears in his eyes.

“Her own mind has done it to her. It is broken, her spirit is crumbled, as I foretold would happen. Now it shall be built anew in the image of this place.” The Scion said.

“Please, just let us go. Haven't you harmed us enough already?” Azash pleaded.

“Can't you see that as she was, she could never achieve her desires? Despite achieving physical maturity, she had a child's notions. I shall take those notions and place them in fertile soil where they too can grow to maturity. Even if what she desired was good, the side of light would have to break her and rebuild her. Does not the same thing happen to a soldier in training, turning him from a simple peasant to a disciplined knight?” The scion asked.

“Still, you didn't have to be rough.” Azash said, giving in.

“Maybe, but you'll never know Azash. Come, let us go away from this section, she has had torture enough for now. There are many sections to Castus Malum, temples, training grounds, torture rooms, I merely started here, because she could not handle it. I knew it would break her quickly, for few inexperienced souls can handle torture, and even experienced torturers will tell you, that it is just as difficult on them, as it is on the one being tortured.” The Scion said.

Aiko
01-20-10, 12:31 PM
Calbrena saw herself in pieces. The brand had struck her so hard she shattered. All around her were the scenes of the evil she had done. The seven monks she had killed a few days ago to become a full demoness lead the victims she had tortured today, letting them die from their torture. Behind them stood The Scion of Evil, arms folded before his chest.

“You still have a conscience. How can you be a paragon of evil if you have a conscience?” The Scion asked.

Calbrena wanted to cry out for help, but was unable to. Her victims started gathering her up, to repay her all that she had done to them.

“I can help you Calbrena, but you have to answer me one question. I ask this question of everyone that seeks to train here, seeks to use Castus Malum for their own ends, seeks its power and influence. If you don't know the answer to this question, how do you know what your doing is right, how do you know what your doing truly serves your purpose? Tell me, what is the nature of Good and Evil? I shall allow you to speak, without speaking, to communicate through thought directly. For you see, I am no figment of your mind, I am of my own mind. I have established a link between my mind and yours to help you out of this. Your so close Calbrena, to truly understanding what it is your seeking, don't disappoint me now.” The Scion said.

“But I don't know what the nature of Good and Evil is, I don't know what it is I'm seeking.” Calbrena cried.

“Then tell me this, oh wise mistress, what brought you to this point in the first place?” the man she had branded as her own slave asked.

Calbrena could at least answer that, and for that, she was grateful. She screamed out in pain, as the monks took daggers to her reformed body, and plunged them into her, twisting them, drawing out her entrails.

“All my life, I've been hounded by rules. My father's, my mother's, my siblings. I have to do this, I have to do that. Some things have to be done a certain way, everything has a rule associated with it. I don't mind rules, but no one would listen to me, when I wanted to know why things had rules, or why some rules were in place, that didn't seem to be needful anymore. Worse yet, most rules seem to be a mere matter of opinion. I want power to enforce my own rules, regardless of what others think.”

“And what rules would you enforce?” The scion asked.

“I'd stop this questioning for one thing? Who cares if I understand what I'm looking for or not, just let me look!” Calbrena protested.

Her victims were fondling her entrails. The poor woman she had steamed to death in the iron maiden was squeezing her heart. She could feel the woman's fingers applying pressure to the beating organ, and it fluttered in her grip, stressed to be under such pressure.

“Why evil? Why not good?” the woman asked.

“Good follows the rules. Evil doesn't. That's all good and evil are anyway, false concepts created by society to allow individuals to interact with one another according to a set of guidelines. Without these guidelines, there would be nothing holding them back from doing what each truly wanted to do. I don't want to rule the world, I just want to be listened to, why won't anyone listen to me?” Calbrena cried.

“And what makes you think your worth listening to? You don't even understand what good is truly all about do you?” A monk asked, as he sliced her left breast off and fondled it.

“I know enough. The nature of good is to follow the law, whatever the law might be. Good never questions the law, good merely obeys like an obedient simpleton. I refuse to be a slave to the law!” Calbrena declared.

“Then this brings me back to my original question. What is the nature of Evil?” The Scion asked.

The Scion put Calbrena back together, and held back her torturers.

“The nature of Evil is to follow your own will and desires, regardless of the law, regardless of how your intentions might affect another. Evil is in and of itself inherently chaotic, while good is inherently lawful.” Calbrena said.

“But what of Chaotic good and Lawful Evil? Are these things false? I myself am Lawful Evil you know. Are you telling me that I am a good person acting evil?” The scion asked.

“I don't know, such things are beyond me.” Calbrena admitted, giving up.

“Then it is time for your first lesson, as a student of Castus Malum. Truly evil people transcend mere definition of evil, just as truly holy people transcend mere definition of good. They rise above such concepts, yet even still, everything that exists has form, and as such, has definition and rules. Even Chaos has rules, despite popular opinion to the contrary. Therefore there must be, and are, even higher definitions of good and evil, definitions, that are immutable, unchangeable.

Creation of new things, the propagation of life, and the tireless pursuit of justice are all unalterably good. Even if those things are in turn used to harm others, those things are in and of themselves good things. It is merely the user that is in truth, evil, and not the concepts themselves. Someone who devotes his or her life to these things, can never be anything other than good, for if they truly strive for these things, regardless of how good or evil others might perceive them to be, then their results will always ultimately bring about more good. Before you think me wrong in this statement, consider, Good and evil are mere points of view to the unenlightened. The thief who has finally been caught and brought to justice, will always think his captors to be evil people, just as those from whom he stole, will always think him evil, even if he only stole to feed his starving family. His only hope is mercy and leniency for his poor circumstances.

On the other hand, those who continually destroy and seek injustice, those who spread death, these people can never be good, for even if they do these things with the purest of intentions, their efforts will only ultimately bring about more evil. Consider the wise emperor who sought to protect the people of his evil neighbor. He invaded his neighbor's lands, hunted him down, executed him for his villainy. Yet that death destabilized the nation, and allowed criminal organizations to run freely. Consider Corone if you will, regardless of who wins its civil war, it will be the people who suffer, even if the rangers or coalition forces win, for the government in any victory will be too weakened to fight off those who would seek to take advantage of it.

In the end, even these concepts though, can ultimately be proven wrong with time and effort. There is utterly no such thing as good or evil, and only the enlightened know and understand this.

You show promise Calbrena. But your friend. He shows me no promise in this place. I have tested him as I have tested you, by torturing you, by making you conduct acts of evil and causing you to suffer. He cares too much for you to do anything worthwhile here. He will not go far. Perhaps he had better stay away, if you wish to continue pursuing a relationship with him.” The Scion said.

Calbrena stood up, she was whole, and somehow, stronger than she was before. The Scion covered her eyes, and Calbrena discovered, his touch no longer pained her. She awoke to discover herself in a temple.

“What? A temple, but I thought this place was nothing but torture rooms.” Calbrena said weakly.

“Now, whatever gave you that idea? Castus Malum has many parts to it. Places for training and education, places for study, places to live in, places to work. Castus Malum is an entire city, inside its own plane. I merely showed you the torture rooms, because you still care about others, Calbrena. You don't want to do something if you don't have to. You, through conversation and demonstration, have proven yourself to be chaotic evil. You want to do your own thing, and that's fine. Come, let me show you the rest of Castus Malum.” The Scion said.

Aiko
02-16-10, 03:31 AM
Calbrena looked around the temple. There was only one familiar statue, her father and he was looking down on her with his arms held out towards her.. This was appearently a private temple to her father. She sat up to discover she was laying on his alter. She took a moment to enjoy the symbolism this situation presented.

Azash came running over.

“Your alive!” he said, relieved.

“Of course I'm alive, and I feel a lot better now that I understand what The Scion was trying to tell me.” Calbrena said.

“Good, then can we go? This place isn't good for you Cally, its hurting you. You can do better without it.” Azash pleaded.

Calbrena looked at The Scion of Evil, then at her father. She clenched one fist in anger. What did Azash understand? He was from a lesser breed of demon that could never attain her family's degree of power. This was where she belonged. He was the interloper, the outsider. He didn't belong here, and needed to go. If he stayed, he would only hold her back.

“If you want to go, then go, but I'm staying.” Calbrena said sharply.

“What are you saying? Can't you see that this place is making you a worse person than you were before?” Azash asked.

“What does that mean? Are you telling me you already disapproved of my plans, my ways beforehand? If so, then why did you come, knowing I planned on traveling further down this dark road?” Calbrena asked.

“That's not what I meant! You are a good person, if only confused, you don't need power to be anyone special, you already are.” Azash said, taking her hand in his.

Calbrena snatched her hand back and stared him dead in the eyes.

“I'm not going anywhere, unless it is to see the other parts of Castus Malum. You better leave now and forget about me Azash, because I swear if you don't, I'll sacrifice you myself. I'm tired of your whining sniveling ways. If you want to go around doing charity then do it without me. I won't cater to the weak, they deserve to be trampled upon if they won't get stronger. I won't cater to the poor, let them starve for being too lazy to earn their keep. Mercy is for blind deluded fools who can't cope with reality, justice for those who try to make excuses. I've learned there is no such thing as good or evil, they are illusions. Now get out of my sight, you tire me.” Calbrena growled. She pushed Azash to the floor and walked out.

Azash lay there with an expression of shock on his face. After a few moments, The Scion of Evil approached him.

“Its not too late you know. Yes, I am what I am, but that's irrelevant. I understand that there is a power greater than what she seeks. I can see it in your heart, you love her, don't you? No, don't answer, there is no need. Chase her Azash. Explain it to her, for she is blind to your love. The future is not set in stone. If you try, you can change hers, and take her away from here forever. Even the powers of darkness must yield to true love.” The Scion of Evil said.

Azash looked at The Scion, and then at the door. He stood up, an expression of grim determination on his face. Mustering all his speed, Azash chased off after Calbrena. The Scion waited a few minutes then chuckled to himself.

“Yes Azash, chase after her with vain hope, for all that I have said is true. She does not love you, and she never will. You are too weak, too kind, too gentle. You are an insult to demonkind. Calbrena needs a lover as strong, if not stronger than she, someone she cannot defeat. She needs someone with an iron will to match her own, for her, true love must be one filled with great passion for it to bind her. I know what will happen if you continue to pursue her. Azash, your life's time is numbered, and nearing its end, but not in days, in minutes.” The Scion said to the empty room, seconds before he too left to leave the statue of Xith'rith'xail looking on ominously as if knowing this would happen all along.

Calbrena was amazed. This place truly was the heart of evil. In her efforts to get away from Azash, she had passed what she took to be a classroom. In it was an old Necromancer, a young Necromancer, three living slaves, and a pile of dead bodies.

“No, no, no. You want to take them to the edge of death and then assert control over them, not kill them and then assert control. One way creates a common Zombie, the other creates a living slave. Their much harder to detect than Zombies. You'll never be as great as Xem'xund at this rate!” The old Necromancer was saying to the younger.

In another temple, to N'jal, a few spider Magi were leading the sacrifice of a Knight of Dawn.

“What have you done with my daughter?” the knight demanded in tears.

“Oh, don't worry about her. We won't harm her. We'll keep her and raise her properly, just like we would our own.” the oldest Spider Magi said.

The knight gasped, knowing exactly what that meant.

In another room, a large group of bandits were looking over maps of the countryside, planning their weeks raids. In yet another, a group of assassins were training to murder officials of varying importance.

Calbrena caught sight of a winged blue demon, and was reminded of Azash. Azash, she didn't mean to be so cruel to him, but it was necessary. He was too weak to survive here. He would be ripped apart, better that he stay in the Abyss where he could toil away as a nobody. She would miss him, he was a nice guy and a good friend. Maybe he'd find a human woman he could impress and marry, he certainly didn't impress her.

Calbrena passed a room where a little red haired girl about seven years old was being stripped of all her pretty clothing, and being redressed in rags.

“You have a new station in life dear, your father abandoned you to us to go with Spider-Magi. Shameful, really. But we'll take good care of you, so long as you earn your keep. If not, you won't be fed, or watered. Do well, and we'll let you have nice things again. Do exceptionally poorly, and we'll take a strap to your backside.” a harsh looking woman was saying.

Calbrena knew what sort of life that girl was going to grow into, theivery. She would learn to steal on those nights she wasn't fed. She'd get real good at it, and then someday, escape.

“Calbrena!” Azash called as he ran to catch up with her.

“LEAVE THIS PLACE AZASH!” Calbrena bellowed, then ran off to escape.

Aiko
02-16-10, 03:32 AM
Calbrena ran through the halls, left, right, zigging and zagging through the labyrinthine corridors of Castus Malum. Suddenly she was at a dead end.

Before her was a column of pulsating energy. It was red, and came from a platform set into the floor, rising to another in the ceiling. Wires ran from both parts into the ceiling, walls, and floor, disappearing to parts unknown.

“Calbrena, I need to talk to you.” Azash said, finally catching up to Calbrena.

“What? What is it that's so important that you had to risk life and limb to come running after me when I explicitly told you to go away?”Calbrena asked, angry that she had been pushed into this situation.

Why couldn't he just listen and go away?

“But Cally, don't you realize? Can't you understand why I'd go through all of this with you? I'd follow you through worse if it meant being with you. Don't send me away, I don't want that. I want to be with you, forever. Calbrena, I've fallen in love with you.” Azash said.

“Oh Azash, I've never heard such sentimental trash.” Calbrena said softly.

Azash looked hurt, and started to speak, but Calbrena put a finger to his lips to stop him.

“Listen, I don't love you. I like you, but only as a friend, and occasional sex partner. That's all you are to me, a friend with benefits. I'm sorry that's not good enough for you, but we don't want compatible things. Your a nice guy, and I don't want a nice guy. I want a guy that's a bit rougher than you are. Someone strong, who can intimidate me, like my older brother Wrath, except with a bit more patience and humor. Do yourself a favor, go away, and never return. We can avoid each other like the plague if you like. In fact, I think that would be better. Go to Corone or somewhere, and find a nice human girl. They'll fall head over heels for someone like you, and make it their mission to help you.” Calbrena said.

“Calbrena, how can you say that? After all we've been through here together, how can you just send me away? Don't you feel anything? It's this place, this room. It's blinding you Calbrena, changing you into something your not. Please, just come with me back to the Abyss, take a week away from this place, and if you still feel that way, then I'll understand.” Azash said gently.

“I'm not leaving this place Azash, why can't you understand that?” Calbrena shouted getting between Azash and the door.

“Why can't you understand that you don't need this place? You've never needed this place. Your already a terrifyingly powerful demoness, to me. That's all that should matter to you. Why do you need so much power, is the ability to destroy the world really worth it?” Azash asked, his voice raising to match hers.

“One, I don't want to destroy the world, I don't even want to rule it. I just want its respect like I wanted my Father's respect and earned it. I am his eighth child, I want to take my rightful place beside my brothers and sisters and serve my father. How dare you try to take me from my dreams?

Two, why the hell should I care what I am to you? If you think I'm already terrifyingly powerful, then your even more pathetic than you appear. That's it Azash, we're through, finished. Get out of here, or I swear I'll kill you myself!” Calbrena snapped, fully enraged by now.

She didn't really want to kill him, just make him go away. Maybe in a few weeks they could apologize and make-up.

“I don't want to take you from your dreams Calbrena. I just want you with me. Pathetic or not, I do care, and I'm not going anywhere, until I make you see that.” Azash said.

“I SAID GO!” Calbrena yelled, pushing Azash.

Azash stumbled backwards, right into the column of energy. He felt it ripping every fiber of his being apart. In agony he screamed out for Calbrena to save him.

Calbrena started to dart over to try and pull him out, but felt herself restrained by the will of The Scion of Evil. She could see Azash looking at her with such a hurt expression on her face that it made her cry. Then he began splitting into millions of pieces and becoming nothing more than energy, which quickly faded away.

This scene would haunt Calbrena forever, for the last she ever saw of Azash was that expression of hurt in his eyes, which seemed to take forever to disappear in the column of energy. The Scion joined her at her side.

“Behold the heart of Castus Malum, the sheer will of evil that holds it together. Originally, it was naught but a sphere of energy created by The Dark Lady, that was added to by the other dark gods when she allowed them entry. Eventually, we captured some of the greatest engineers and scientists, and working with some of the best magic users, evolved it into this. So long as this engine keeps running, Castus Malum will exist, and so too shall I. Anything that is put into it, is assimilated by the engine, and made into an eternal part of Castus Malum.

This is a glorious day indeed, that your devotion should be so great that you would sacrifice one who felt pure love for you to ensure the future of your new home.” The Scion of Evil said.

Yet Calbrena didn't hear him, all she could hear was Azash's last words repeating themselves in her mind. She didn't need this place.

“Yes, let the emotions guide you. The hurt, the anger, I can feel them within you. Use them, lash out with them. Strike at others with them. Don't let Azash fool you. If you were to try gaining power anywhere else, you would be captured and killed for serving dark powers. Azash was trying to lull you into a peasants life, where no one would respect you, where you couldn't stand beside your brothers and sisters, where your father would despise you. You are free Calbrena, free of all entanglement, and able to choose the life you want. Do you want to be strong, or do you want to follow Azash into the engine and be done with it?” The Scion asked.

Azash's words kept floating through her mind. She didn't need this place. He was right about that. She was the daughter of a dark god. She would become powerful no matter what. She didn't need Azash either, she didn't need love. Love was for the weak. She didn't need this place, she desired it. She earned it, and she would take it. She would let Azash serve as a memory of how weak she once was.

Standing, with tears in her eyes, and pain in her heart, she faced The Scion, and dried her eyes. Concentrating, she shut out the pain, determined to succeed.

“What do I have to do now? Use me, abuse me, I don't care. I want power, and I will stop at nothing to gain it, for I am Calbrena, seeker of power, eighth spawn of The Lord of The Abyss.” She declared, breathing heavily to overcome the pain of her loss, the excitement of what was to come, and the fear that she had chosen wrong.

“Yes, this is a glorious day for Castus Malum indeed. Some are servants, some are teachers. But this day is a rare one. You have gained my approval, and your sacrifice has pleased The Dark Pantheon. On this day, I declare you to be a priestess of Castus Malum. We shall train you mightly, and then send you forth to preach the dark words we shall put in your heart. We shall carve graven images unto you, and sacrifice in your name. Calbrena, seeker of power, come with me and take upon your shoulders, the mantle of the life you have chosen. I shall give you but one token of your new station, a gold medal with but a single mark upon it, the image of a pentagram that marks you as a priestess of Castus Malum. In this medal is the ability to come and go from Castus Malum as you please, but know that only you can use this ability.” The Scion said, settling a gold pendant around Calbrena.

“Yes, a glorious day indeed when I get a new slave. I shall thank you later for this beautiful gift you have given me Xith'Rith'Xail.” The Scion of Evil thought.

Yet all Calbrena thought of at that moment were her fathers words. Everyone who goes to Castus Malum for the first time will be tortured he had said, and now she understood exactly what he had meant.

Spoils: Amulet of Castus Malum: This amulet alters and changes it self over time to reflect Calbrena's status with Castus Malum. Currently it is pure gold, and has the mark of a priestess on it, indicating Calbrena as a priestess of evil. It's sole ability is to open a gateway to and from Castus Malum, an ability only Calbrena can activate. This ability allows Calbrena to go to and from Castus Malum at will, without having to go through Phantaria. Once a gateway is opened, any number of people can go through it until either Calbrena, The Scion of Evil, a member of The Dark Pantheon, or Castus Malum itself closes the gateway.

Amaril Torrun
03-07-10, 09:18 PM
A workshop was requested for this thread. While a condensed rubric is below, the true commentary can be found here. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=20430)

Story: 16 / 30

Character: 13 / 30

Writing Style: 16 / 30

Wild Card: 5 / 10

Total Score: 50

Aiko earns 472 experience and 100 gold.

Spoil Requested: "Amulet of Castus Malum: This amulet alters and changes it self over time to reflect Calbrena's status with Castus Malum. Currently it is pure gold, and has the mark of a priestess on it, indicating Calbrena as a priestess of evil. It's sole ability is to open a gateway to and from Castus Malum, an ability only Calbrena can activate. This ability allows Calbrena to go to and from Castus Malum at will, without having to go through Phantaria. Once a gateway is opened, any number of people can go through it until either Calbrena, The Scion of Evil, a member of The Dark Pantheon, or Castus Malum itself closes the gateway."

This Amulet can only be used by the PC Calbrena and the named NPCs. The amulet can only be used during moments of calm and takes a few minutes for the gateway to open. In other words, it can't be used during battles. Use of this item outside of purely storytelling purposes will require RoG approval at your next update. If in a thread with other participants, they must approve of the use of this as well, until otherwise noted in your next update. I'll be happy to clarify any of this further with you through PMs.

Taskmienster
03-07-10, 11:43 PM
Exp and GP added.