PDA

View Full Version : Game or Something Else?

Logan
02-02-10, 01:06 AM
It's been something I've discussed with multiple individuals at multiple points in the life of this great site, and it's something I wish to bring forth as a topic for discussion(and let's keep it nice n' clean - no need to get out of hand).

What is Althanas to you?

Is it a game? Is it something more?

Is it about the writing or the writers?

Is it more about story telling or creative composition?

Feel free to answer the question that you feel is your best interpretation of what Althanas really is.

I'll start.

I fall in between almost every opinion on the matter. Althanas to me is not just a game, but it's not just a creative collaboration of written work. It's not just about the writing, nor is it just about the writers.

Althanas is all of those things, and far, far more. It is a community that gathers to have fun, and to do so while authoring some of the most delightful stories. Yet, it's also a community that gathers to improve itself on an ongoing basis.

At it's core, Althanas is something that most RPGs strive to be. It is truly open-ended. There is nothing that a story on Althanas cannot touch or cover. It allows true freedom of the mind's creative gears. A player can be anything, meet anyone, and do so while doing anything.

Althanas' success lies in it's players, it's moderators, it's admins. It lies in everyone, because without you, without me, without everyone -- even some of those we don't all like -- this place wouldn't be the same.

Slavegirl
02-02-10, 01:10 AM
I've always considered it a creative writing workshop in the guise of a roleplaying game, and it's only to make it more fun that we use it in that way. For me it's stress relief, and a lot of fun, but it holds me to a higher standard than any other site could ever hope to do.

Kerrigan Muldoon
02-02-10, 03:25 AM
For me it's about a lot: story telling, creative composition and 'gaming'. Because you advance your character through writing better I'm challenged to do so. But the game part is mostly just the method: the goal is having fun writing and if I grow in skill doing so then that's great.

Caden Law
02-02-10, 04:30 AM
Coop writing with the occasional lolcat outbreak.

Duffy
02-02-10, 05:54 AM
Coop writing with the occasional lolcat outbreak.

You're just THAT awesome, you have earnt your Duffy Cookie :D