PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Call for Opinions

Atzar
02-10-10, 02:54 AM
Hey all.

I'm working on a solo with an alternate of mine, and I just spent the last hour or so putting the first post together. I'd just like some quick thoughts on it - what you think of my writing style, what could be better, whether it captures your interest, mechanical errors if you find them, that sort of thing. It's only one post, so it shouldn't take all that long for you and I'd really appreciate your time. I'm still trying to come back, and I'm thinking maybe having some things to work on in my writing will give me some incentive. Of course, positive comments are always nice to hear as well ;) Writer's Block is a bitch - it'll clear just long enough for me to write out a post or two, and then the "Fuck this" sets back in.

Here's the post.

Caww! Caww! Caww!

The harsh cries from overhead were startlingly close. From the base of a large tree a pair of brown eyes looked up, pinpointing their source. It was a big crow, very big, and it was perched in the lower branches of the tree Huacamon rested beneath. The bird cocked its head, returning his gaze through one intelligent eye for a moment before lifting its head.

Caww! Caww!

Once again, the strident cries were swallowed up by the dense surrounding jungle. As the big warrior continued to watch, the crow began to preen its glossy black feathers with its beak. It almost seemed to be waiting.

Huacamon looked away, shifting his position slightly on the big root upon which he was seated. He couldn’t explain it, but something about the large bird’s presence made him feel uneasy. His eyes roved warily through the obscuring greenery, and his hand sought out the spear at his side for reassurance.

Caww! Caww! Caww!

Even though he’d heard the cry not half a moment ago, the noise still startled him once again. The rough bark of the tree lightly scraped his bare, golden back as he rose to his feet. Something wasn’t right. Aside from the black bird’s call, the noises of the jungle seemed natural. A cacophony of insects created their din, interrupted only by the occasional bird, monkey, or other jungle creature. As Huacamon stood still his eyes moved faster through the wilderness, picking out each tree, each fern, each stray ray of afternoon sunlight breaking through the canopy. Once more he glanced upward at the crow. It was silent now, powerful talons clinging to a branch as it, too, watched the surrounding jungle with its beady eye.

That was when he heard it. Something big crashed through the undergrowth, coming closer with every bound. The warrior stared hard through the jungle in the direction of the noise, spear at the ready, but still did not move. The noise was of prey, not predator; no prospective hunter would be so loud if it was intent on catching a meal. And while there was quite possibly a predator in the victim’s wake, it had clearly already chosen a target. The Zentec warrior knew the jungle, and he knew not to run – it would attract only the wrong sort of attention. Still, instincts began to fight knowledge as the quarry drew closer. The noises were those of a large animal, possibly a large wild pig or tapir. Few jungle predators would attack a fully-grown tapir. Finally, the warrior spotted the creature as it burst through the dense growth. A tapir, indeed. The dark-brown, piglike creature was about as long as Huacamon was tall, and sheer panic shone in its eyes as it fled with surprising speed. Things began happening quickly.

Hot on its tail was a golden creature, flashing lithely between trees, around brush and over roots with infinite grace, gaining on its prey with every bound. It was close enough now for Huacamon to make out the black rings on its sides and back, and its eyes were the intense, golden eyes of a killer. The warrior no longer had to fight the urge to run, but instead felt a mixture of awe and respect. It was a jaguar, maybe the largest he had ever seen. The tapir was doomed; the remainder of its life could be measured in mere seconds.

The kill happened not twenty feet away. With one great leap, the predator closed the final feet between it and its prey, latching onto its back. The tapir squealed an agonized squeal as sharp teeth entered the back of its neck, and blood began to flow. The extra weight knocked the big creature off-balance, and it fell heavily to the jungle floor with a thud. The jaguar landed lightly astride the struggling creature, and teeth flashed for the exposed neck. Almost instantly, the struggles ended and the squeals were silenced. The prey was dead, and the predator began to eat.

The jaguar’s golden eyes left its meal for a second and settled on the warrior, and instantly Huacamon understood why a God had chosen the form of the jaguar. The huge cat was a fearsome sight. Blood dripped from the long fangs, and the light of the hunt had not yet left the killer’s eyes. At the same time, the beast was beautiful, its golden coat a sharp contrast to the green and brown of the jungle behind it. Indeed, the Zentec felt that he was standing in the presence of a God.

After what seemed like an eternity, a rush of wings interrupted his reverie. The crow had seen enough, and disappeared into the jungle with a few beats of its strong wings. The jaguar returned to its feast, ripping into the fresh meat with purpose. Huacamon finally began to move, backing away from the awesome predator one step at a time. The beast showed no further interest, and he turned and moved hastily into the jungle. His heart pounded with excitement as his speedy gait ate up the land, leaving the scene of the kill behind.

Again, thanks in advance for your time.

Letho
02-10-10, 03:15 AM
I don't have the time currently to read the post as I'm at work, but I just wanted to say: "Holy crap, 'tis the capybara!". It's good to have you back, man, and writing again. Just so you know, you're not the only one who has the problem with the "Fuck this" part. :P

Twylith
02-10-10, 08:22 AM
That was inspiring, to say the least. I'm amazed. The only time I got confused was when you started talking about a God (what god?), other than that, it was awesome.

Maybe a little more description about the character? All I know is he's golden, and at first it put this picture of a metallic man in my head (weird, I know). Your description is amazing on the sounds of the jungle, and the action was described near flawlessly, but your character, I have no idea about. Granted, it's only one post, but if you get an image in your head early on, it's hard to get it out even when the writer tries to replace it with the real one.

I'll admit right now that you're a much better writer than me, so of course any criticism can be taken with a grain of salt. It was pretty hard for me to even find something to critique.

Duffy
02-10-10, 08:38 AM
A brief read came up with one or two clumsy repetitions, such as head in the opening paragraph, but all in all it's a solid introduction. One I'd likely read and follow as it progressed; don't' let writer's block get you down. Half of the time, one negative comment is all it takes, and one 'fuck you' push will get you surging out of obscurity at the drop of a hat.

Take your time, snoop around, and bring your well-respected backside to Althanas NOW! :D

Taskmienster
02-10-10, 09:55 AM
This thread is better suited for the Writers Workshop, which is made so that people can get things critiqued and generally commented on.

I'm going to go ahead and move it over there for you.

Ataraxis
02-10-10, 11:53 AM
It's a pretty amazing opening post, and you definitely won't be having problems with setting, at the very least. At first I was put off by the repeating onomatopoeia, but your use of a crow's caws fit very well into the scene you were building.

In terms of pacing, I followed very closely and did feel drawn in enough to want more after every paragraph, but there are certain points where I disconnected: the second paragraph after the last Caw Caw (the one introducing the tapir) had a very, very slight awkwardness to it near the end. For one, you used the word tapir three times in close proximity, and within three short sentences at that.

You also end that same paragraph with "Things began happening quickly" which I feel is a bit of a descriptive cop-out as it implies tension without introducing any. I probably also have a pet peeve about using the verb 'to begin' in any descriptive narration, since it's as stale as starting a paragraph with 'suddenly' in my opinion. To my knowledge you used it six times in this post, and in most of those cases their removal (and a change of tense of the verbs that do remain) would potentially improve the flow. Still, some do fit, in a way, so it's ultimately your choice.

I was confused on the God part like Twylith was, but I took that as something else we come to learn about Huacamon. It might not be descriptive of him physically, but it does paint a good picture of who he is inside, and of what kind of person he is. Worship of God in nature and animals says a lot about a person.

On another note, I watch How I Met Your Mother too much to take the word 'awesome' seriously anymore, so that bit about the awesome predator only made me think of Barney Stinson. Media corruption of connotations: you have to take that into account!

NB: Nah, you don't!

Logan
02-10-10, 02:18 PM
Personal opinion only here, I don't like the first paragraph. It reads kinda choppily. Even though the statements are all interconnected, they don't flow quite right in my mind as I read it.

Now, I'm a single opinion in a sea of others, so it could just be me, but I thought I'd point it out. Other than that, I do like the post. Keep up the good writing!

Atzar
02-10-10, 05:38 PM
I appreciate the welcome, Letho. I've been trying to come back for the better part of a year now. Whenever I'd get started and get a post or two written, I'd quickly decide that the premise of my story is crap and not worth continuing. Hopefully I finally get something done this time - you and I still have a quest to write together.

Twylith, your point is very true - throughout this post, I really give you no idea of who Huacamon is except that he believes in Gods - multiple Gods, at that - and that he knows how to survive in the jungle. This was something I struggled with as I wrote this out. In the end, I decided that launching into a description of who Huacamon is, who the "Gods" are, who the Zentec people are, etc. would interrupt the encounter. Huacamon's identity will definitely be revealed as the story progresses, though.

Good point on the repetition, Duffy - that's something I'll fix.

I appreciate the move, Task - sorry about that. There may be a couple of things that are new to me on this site, so bear with me if I overlook any other changes.

Lots of good points, Ataraxis, and many that I plan to take into account. I may rework the bit about the tapir to cut down on the repetition a bit. I think in all but one case, the post will be improved by removing the word "begin". As for the "things began happening quickly", it was an admittedly last-second addition to try to improve the action of the scene. I think I was a bit too descriptive throughout at the chase, and that dulled the excitement of the scene a little bit. I'll probably go back and rework that part of the post.

Logan, that's not the first time I've heard the word 'choppy' associated with my writing style. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it's not. Is this a trend that continues throughout the post, or was it just the first paragraph that you weren't fond of?

I appreciate all of the input in this thread - it's helped me a lot. If anybody else has anything to add, I'd love to hear it. Also, I'm willing to return the favor - if you have a post that you'd like some input on, PM me or post it here and I'll do my best to help you out.

Duffy
02-10-10, 05:44 PM
Most important thing is to write what you want to write, and have fun doing it. Relaxing and just getting on with it with casual proof-reading and the odd re-edit during the writing process will bring just rewards over anally retentive grammar-nazism and too much consideration for crossing the I instead of the T.

Chillax dude etc.

Atzar
02-10-10, 06:28 PM
Most important thing is to write what you want to write, and have fun doing it. Relaxing and just getting on with it with casual proof-reading and the odd re-edit during the writing process will bring just rewards over anally retentive grammar-nazism and too much consideration for crossing the I instead of the T.

Chillax dude etc.

Yeah, that's something I'm trying to keep in mind as I do this. That's actually probably the biggest reason why I've yet to get back into writing - not grammar-nazism specifically, but rather going back through my own work over and over and picking it to pieces in general. Eventually, I'd just decide that it wasn't well-written, my story idea wasn't all that noteworthy after all and I'd be better off scrapping it and starting fresh with another story and maybe even another character.

So yeah, I'm trying to lay back and rely on the criticism of others rather than myself. I'm hard for me to please, but if others like it then it's still well worth writing.

In other words, you're exactly right.

Alis Grave Nil
04-29-10, 05:59 AM
i think its simply straight out awsome.
kudo's mate.