PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Symbols Third Page.

Archanex Jotham
02-24-10, 12:53 PM
(Open to any one level 0-2)

I write in my personal grimoire everyday. In my life-time I have managed to compose various volumes of this works. Many of them varied in subject from my personal muses to my current research notes of the hour. Tonight however, I was currently writing my notes about my experiences in The Citadel. I made detailed etchings, drawings, and observations about the nature of life in The Citadel hoping that one day my own students would seek those same studies. I sat on a bench as I wrote my observations down from my previous two encounters in The Citade. One was against a shape shifter (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=20308) and the other was against another a fellow Wizard (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=20447) I would later learn their identities. In the first battle, I fell to a tremendously powerful lightning bolt spell. Still scarred to this day, I learned that even the Monks' Healing Arts were far from flawless. In that battle I was forced to face against a lupine killing machine.

The machine injured me quite severely and when I knocked her out of her form, she released the lightning bolt on me. Thinking quickly, I was forced to release a Dynamic Explosion in a last ditch attempt to spare my life for a few more precious moments. I failed. I was not powerful enough to save my own hide against the superior opponent. Writing and drawing is something I am quite skilled at, keeping observational notes, graphs, charts and other key measurements. As I replayed both of the battles in my mind and scribbled the notes down, I came to one sudden conclusion. Combat had its place in my research.

Though I did not like combat, it was clear that I needed to physically master my fledgling knowledge of the killing arts. I knew that many more battles lay ahead of me. So I continued to write and draw. Observational analysis was one of my key strengths which was the reason my superior officers in the Mage's Guild placed so much faith on my shoulders. Drawing various simplified figures in distinct combat position, I was jotting down notes of the various killing arts when my old friend approached once more...

Blinking several times, the Overmage felt the approach of Duncan, the same Elder Monk who had recruited him for combat several weeks ago. Ever since then, Jotham had made considerable research efforts into the mysteries of The Citadel and its organization: The Order of Ai'Bron. With the blessing of the Mage's Guild, the Overmage was ready to advance in rank and file, and obtain the secrets of tactical warfare. Though he was a pacifist by nature, the Overmage was not a fool. He immediately learned to accept the dynamic applications of tactical combat as a vocational study.

The bench felt study underneath him as he sat there. He'd been taking notes for hours in the same position. His journals were by his side as he recorded various observations. If Duncan has returned to me, that must mean that there is another trial... The hallway was well lit. Many enchanted glow-orbs lined either wall, and chandeliers were present on the high arching ceilings. Some Columns were visible in various positions of the doorway. A very specific wing of The Citadel, this was the area where Neophytes of The Citadels' organization gathered. Sometimes, advanced challengers were allowed to do battle against the Neophytes of The Citadel in order to establish education.

Duncan stood tall and proud, staring at the Overmage for a long moment.

"You have been at that for a time now. Several days now as a matter of fact, what are you specifically researching?" Duncan asked. "May I compare notes with you young Neophyte?"

Jotham stopped writing just then and looked up at the Elder Monk. There was an excited expression on the Overmage's face. Jotham placed his pen and pigments down on the ground for a moment as he looked at Duncan. The motions were elegant and controlled. Standing up now, Jotham greeted his friend. An embrace was exchanged between the two. Then, Jotham offered a seat to the Monk. A moment later, the two were discussing the semantics of battle.

"I have discovered that tactical skirmishing is based upon the laws of physics much like the Arkanos Arts are based on the laws of the Elemental Manna." Jotham rubbed his chin. "For every action there must be an equal and proportionate reaction. Momentum shifts forward locking the object in a forward movement until the action is completed. Here. I have been writing these schematic etchings based upon my observations." He said, showing his notes to Duncan. In turn, Jotham watched as the Elder Monk read through the Neophyte's observations.

"Most excellent works. Your etchings are somewhat crude and your mathematics require a bit of fine-tuning but the principles behind your logic are sound. Now you must learn to apply your theories of combat. That is the purpose of The Citadel." Duncan responded. He continued to read, able to read with considerable speed. Duncan flipped through the Ovevrmage's pages until he at last, finished reading the notes. "You have acquired a tremendous understanding of the knowledge of Physics and Combat. What we hope to achieve with your practical application is a fusion of Magi and Warrior. One skilled of body and mind." Duncan paused for a moment. "Times are dangerous. Even here in Corone, the Civil War persists. In Raiaera, the enemy known as Xem'Zund threatens all. Salvar has its own Civil War to deal with, Alerar has the recent assassination of the Queen, and Fallien is in constant battle against those accursed harpies." Duncan continued. "The world is locked in a conflict of dangerous proportions and a new generation of Heroes is needed to answer the call."

"So that's why you are training us Neophytes so rigorously?" Jotham asked. "We are born during the Second Age of Darkness. When the world of Althanas is locked in another global quagmire." Jotham frowned at that thought. "Former allies need assistance, and our enemies grow in both number and power. We are facing the forces of Darkness and discord in an unprecedented front..." Sighing, the Overmage did not like where his thoughts were going logically.

"If you follow conclusion for conclusion's sakes, one would deduce that we are slowly but surely being eradicated. But this is not the case. Heroes still rise up against the forces of Xem'Zund, and in Salvar, Iorlan Rathaxea is in hiding. Nobody knows his current whereabouts, not even his closest advisers..." Duncan tapped his chin a few times. "But discussing semantics is not why I am here for you today." Duncan said. "Come. Walk with me."

Standing up, Jotham gathered his belongings and walked with the Elder Monk. Jotham's visible limp was a stark contrast the Elder Monk's completely healthy walk. The two walked side by side as the Overmage pondered everything he had learned. The time had come to begin to apply his knowledge, and turn it to a scholarly pursuit. Though Jotham did not fancy himself a warrior, the Overmage learned the value of tactical warfare.

Duncan suddenly stopped walking and turned towards Jotham.

"I have a gift for you to commemorate your recent battles." Duncan began, and revealed a weapon in its scabbard. Most specifically, a broadsword in the fashion of a spatha blade. "I would like you to progress your skill with the blade. Learn to use this spatha weapon in conjunction with your daggers and you will become quite formidable." Duncan handed Jotham the weapon, who in turn, took it in his large hands.

Unsheathing the blade, the Overmage admired the masterwork steel design of the weapon. It was a weapon forged by the blacksmiths of The Citadel, and thus, markings and etchings of both The Mage's Guild and The Citadel were present on the length of the blade. The handle was made out of medium leather, quite sturdy indeed. Jotham took a few practice swings adjusting himself to the weight of the weapon. He then sheathed the weapon back in its scabbard, attaching the whole package to his belt. He nodded in gratitude towards the Monk's generous gift.

"Practice using your Arkanos Arts on it, you will see that it will have great results." Then, Duncan continued to walk forward with Jotham following him...

Several Monks of various ranks greeting the pair when they reached Combat Chamber Number Thirty-Five. The Overmage looked at the familiar gates of the Chamber he'd been using for the past several weeks. He turned towards Duncan and nodded. Understanding what the whole affair meant, another battle would be prepared soon. Jotham waited for Duncan's instructions.

"You will allow your opponent to make The Arena. Face any challenge that comes your way without fear." Duncan said.

"I understand." Jotham replied. "I shall wait outside for my opponent to arrive, and we will enter together."

"Fair enough. I shall speak to you once the battle is over. Go with the Thayne."

((Note: You are free to make any arena of your choice, just don't make it too complicated!))

Irene
02-25-10, 08:46 PM
Irene came to the citadel once more. She hated fighting, because she couldn't fight on her own, she had to have other things fight for her. A summoner that hated summoning. At least, that was how she used to feel. Recent weeks showed another side to battle, a side she didn't want any part of that made her thankful she was a summoner.

She had been lead by the gods to a hidden, yet abandoned temple beneath Concordia Forest. It had once been the capital of all summoners on Althanas, a temple to the arts of summoning. An ideal place for a novice summoner in today's world where no such art was seemingly practiced. Gone were the days when summoners were highly regarded, their ability to call forth mighty creatures into battle a blessing for their allies, and a curse for their enemies. Yet ambition can get the best of everyone, and for the ancient summoners, it became their undoing. Meddling in the dark arts to further their own power, they inadvertently created and unleashed something too horrendous for even them to control.

No, the ancient temple she had been to wasn't completely abandoned, the monster was still there, the thing that was many, yet one, dead, yet alive. The psionic entity that called itself Kernkraft still lived, still controlling massive swarms of pests and vermin, bringing them back from the dead when they were defeated. A single rat is annoying, yet easily dispatched. A swarm of rats can be lethal if not taken care of quickly and efficiently. An undead swarm of rats was a new nightmare Irene had never conceived of before.

Irene was grateful she didn't have to face that monstrosity personally, able to rely on Grath, her minotaur, the only thing she could summon so far. She knew there would be other nightmares like Kernkraft in the world, and she wanted no part of them. She wasn't brave, or fearless. Truthfully, she was a coward in the face of danger. Kernkraft made her realize that. She should find a man that would have her, marry him, and stay home raising children and keeping house, that was her place.

Yet, apart of her didn't want that, apart of her wanted more. A part, that thirsted for more adventure, which brought Irene to The Citadel. She knew if she could practice her summoning, get more efficient at it, then she could potentially summon other things, and no longer have to be afraid of danger. There was no danger in The Citadel, the monks saw to that.

It was why she was in this place now. A complete replica of the abandoned temple that housed Kernkraft. They were in the main room, in the center of which stood the smaller central pyramid that housed all the treasure and relics of the ancient order. The doors were open, the vaults were empty. The walls were made of granite, and at the top of the pyramid stood the massive glowing diamond that was destroyed when Irene took The Staff of Eons from its resting place. She didn't have it on her right now, HE had it.

He was Destrudo, a seven foot monster of a man that seemed to think danger didn't apply to him, as he took Kernkraft on with his bare fists. Destrudo was the only one to accompany her in the temple. He had the staff, they were supposed to meet up later, and he wanted to study it out of curiosity.

Irene looked at the myriad of collapsed hallways. They weren't really collapsed at the real temple, but she didn't want to have to chase her opponent down endless hallways. There was only one hallway, and it lead to the door. The diamond kept the room lit like the noonday sun.

Suddenly, before she knew it, her opponent had arrived. She flipped her rainbow colored hair back over her wings, niether fae, draconic, nor demonic in their own, but all three. She rested her claws on her hips, her blue skin beautiful in this light.

“Greetings. I am Irene, a summoner. I hope you like this arena, it is a copy of a real place. Horrifying adventure, I'll tell you about it sometime. Let's just say I'll never look at pests and vermin the same way again. I like to chat with my opponents a second or two before fighting, so tell me about yourself.” Irene said.

Archanex Jotham
03-01-10, 07:00 AM
Walking into the Arena with the opponent that the Monks had sent him, the Overmage nodded when she introduced herself. A pacifist by nature, Jotham did not like combat that much either. He understood that it was just a way of life, but he would prefer much more diplomatic solutions. Listening to the interesting girl speak for a bit, Jotham thought back to his battle with that other woman, Valanthe. She had soundly defeated the Overmage. That fact had bruised the man's ego. Leaning against his battlestaff, the Overmage continued to study Irene and wait for her to finish talking. He listened to every word she spoke.

"Well I don't see a problem with that Irene." Jotham looked around at the temple that he'd found himself in. She mentioned a creature of some sort that he'd never seen before. That thought made the Overmage shudder a bit with something like a mixture of fear and paranoia. "My name is Archanex. Jotham Archanex. Most people just call me Jotham. I guess, you could say that I am an Overmage. I am not just any typical kind of Magus either." Jotham rubbed his chin in thought. "My people hail from a land called Ayenee." Jotham began. "It's a place that is on a very distant star. I have traveled a long distance to get to this star of Althanas." The Overmage continued. "I spend much of my time studying spell tomes and other books and scrolls for the Mage's Guild. I am a member of that faction. I do considerable amounts of personal research."

After Irene had revealed the fact that she was a Summoner, the Overmage felt his chest swell up with pride. There were plenty of Summoners on Ayenee, but he had only heard of a small handful on Althanas. He wondered why that strange anomaly was true. Jotham looked at Irene for a long a moment, his gaze was intense and observant. She was a fine creature, a woman that possessed a beauty that he had never seen before. Her nimbus shown with the intensity that only such a creation could give off. Jotham wore a smile on his face. Then, the moment got serious again.

"Though I don't like fighting, we must continue this session. Let's see what sort of beings you can summon Irene. Afterwards, maybe we can discuss the battle over a drink of Berry Berry Juice, or perhaps a Shake." The Overmage began to channel the Elemental Manna, and his nimbus started to shine brilliantly around his person.

Irene
03-01-10, 09:57 AM
“Oh, eventually I'll be able to summon more than the one creature I can summon now. Yet, you say you come from another star? What is that thing, a star. Is it like the small points of light in the sky at night? What is beyond them? What happens if you go beyond the most distant of those things, stars. Do you find the gods? But I suppose those questions will have to wait until later. Let me introduce you to my best friend.” Irene said.

She raised her arms, and disappeared momentarily as a bolt of energy came from the shining gem atop the central pyramid. The walls shifted and began to glow with images of mighty beasts. One of them was highlighted, a minotaur.

The ground rumbled, and a crack formed and split apart. From out of it stomped an angry minotaur weilding a mean looking steel axe. As if its natural armor wasn't enough, it wore chainmail. The crack closed up and disappeared, as Irene stepped out from behind Grath.

“WHAT?” the minotaur bellowed.

“I need you to go chop his head off.”

“At least it's not that spider-scorpion-rat thing again. That thing was a sin against several gods, goddesses, and nature, all of them at once; and if you ever summon me to fight it again, I swear I'll beat you for it.” The minotaur said.

“Now Grath behave and go beat up the mage.” Irene said.

Grath turned on Jotham, and sized him up.

“Give me one good reason why I should make your death quick and merciful instead of goring you to death on my horns, Boy.” he said, speaking to Jotham.

Irene sighed, rolled her eyes, and went over to sit on a large rock in the pile of them that blocked a nearby hallway.

Archanex Jotham
03-01-10, 03:32 PM
After a tremendous display of power, the girl summoned her servant to her side. Jotham studied the symbols of Hromagh the Strong upon the body of the creature. The Overmage admired her skill at summoning the angry minotaur and prepared for combat. Wielding a steel axe, Jotham knew that he had to be prepared for what was coming. Hearing the words of the giant beast, Jotham laughed in reaction. Even though he knew that the axe was not a joke, he didn't like how the angry warrior came off to him.

"I'd keep those words to myself if I were you!" Jotham rotated his combat staff and moved into his tightest combat stance that he could think of. With his battlestaff ready, the Overmage prepared for combat. "'Lest I make you feast upon worms!" With his body glowing brightly now, the Overmage was prepared to cast a burst of the Dynamic Explosion spell. His eyes glowed brightly with the rage that burned from within. Jotham ran towards his opponent with as much speed as he could muster, which was about normal human speed.

The Overmage channeled his power subtly affecting the heat around him as he moved. Jotham was prepared for his kamikaze run knowing he only had one chance to get this one right. When, the Overmage reached the apex of his sprint, he suddenly jumped upwards as high as he could, and at the zenith of his leap, he released his potent Dynamic Explosion. He aimed for the general body mass of the huge beast before him. Jotham knew that if he caught even a bit of flesh, the blue fire would adhere to the beasts' fur and make his life very miserable indeed.

"You should learn to respect power when you see it fell beast! Go back whence you came!" Jotham suddenly yelled as he released the full carnage of the flames he was channeling the entire time. Though honestly, if he had channeled for a bit longer, he would have been able to release the full fury of his impressive power. When Jotham released the Dynamic Explosion, a glowing burst of blue energy radiated from the Overmage with tremendous skill. If the spell were to connect on the beast, the spell's power would cause it to adhere to the minotaur's flesh, potentially causing tremendous damage. Jotham stared into the eyes of the beast as he released his spell. He was already preparing for what he knew was coming...

Irene
03-01-10, 04:20 PM
“Power deserves respect only if it is used with wisdom and care. You're just a bumbling fool trying desperately to stay alive.” Grath said.

He saw Jotham coming at him, and knew he was going to try something. He didn't want to dodge too early, that wouldn't do anything except delay the inevitable. Suddenly blue fire was coming at him. Grath threw himself to the side, tossing his ax to the side. It landed at Irene's feet.

Grath landed on all fours, looking very much like an overgrown misshapen bull. He punched the ground, steam coming out his nostrils and charged Jotham. Irene meanwhile picked up his axe and held it, barely able to lug around its weight.

Irene stood up, and moved off to the side, edging closer back into the fight. If she could just get a clean shot at Jotham, she might be able to put Grath's ax to good use herself.

Archanex Jotham
03-01-10, 11:46 PM
Grath's words fell on deaf ears. Even if Jotham could have heard the minotaur's words, the Overmage found himself temporarily unable to hear from the deafening sound. Because of the noise that the Dynamic Explosion gave off, the Overmage could not hear the minotaur's incoming attack. Jotham hovered in the air, giving off the blue energy for a few moments longer. When it finally dissipated, the Overmage suddenly realized, all too late, that his attack had missed entirely! Somehow, Irene's summon had been able to predict exactly what he was going to do without ever having encountered the Overmage even once in its life. This frustrated Jotham deep down to his very core. As Jotham floated, the Overmage moved back down to the ground catching his balance.

The movement came just as Grath intercepted the Overmage. Jotham had no power to avoid the huge, clumsy beast. Staring wide eyed with a momentary fear, the Overmage simply began to pray. He had a few moments to utter a few words of prayer when Grath's attack finally connected. It was like staring down the barrel of a bowgun. Grath's horns connected with the Overmage first immediately knocking all wind out of his lungs.

Jotham was hurled several feet away with his body cut open. Several gashes from the connection point where the horns hit him were visible now. Spilling everywhere, the Ovevrmage's blood and entrails spilled out of his stomach. Crying and swearing in agony, the Overmage was still alive when he landed on the ground several feet away. Many bruises developed on the Overmage's body, and tears of agony swelled down his face. Staring up at the roof, Jotham felt the blood and bile flowing up and out of his mouth.

Never had he been so soundly defeated. Feeling his rage building up in his heart, the Overmage wanted to do something, anything. But he could not, even his weak Lay on Hands spell would prove useless to the severity of his injuries. Jotham could not feel his lower half. Trying to look down, he saw that his body had been completely severed into two pieces.

The shock of that moment settled in and Jotham let out an inhuman cry of pain. Blood flowed freely everywhere. Staring at Grath, the Overmage had a mixture of incredulous disbelief and rage. There was no fear, never any fear. Jotham had simply accepted his fate and reacted as best as he possibly could. Jotham reached for the comfort of his battlestaff, but somewhere during the nonchalant throw on Grath's behalf, the Overmage had lost the weapon. Laying harshly against the ground, Jotham was vulnerable. There was nothing he could do.

He simply submitted to the pain...

Irene
03-03-10, 07:20 AM
“Grath! You didn't have to throw him so hard, just stun him a little.” Irene said.

“You said chop his head off, I didn't think throwing him around with my horns was any more violent than that.” Grath objected.

The images on the wall shifted, showing a minotaur and a wizard fighting. The wizard appeared to have beaten the minotaur by shooting a powerful exploding spell at it.

“It doesn't matter, he's severed the man in half. I think he never realized how obvious a glowing mage might be. It didn't ever matter that the minotaur had never encountered him, the glow gave him away. I shall speak to his healers and advise them that he should be informed of this. Maybe if he learned how to hide his glow, or at least react to an enemy's movements better, he would've succeeded. I mean, after all, did he really think your friend was just going to stand there dumbstruck? Minotaurs are not that stupid, especially those who are experienced with at least one or two battles.” a tall seven foot monk that looked exactly like the man holding her staff, except he was a lot older.

“Destrudo? No, you must be his father, but he never said he had a father in The Citadel.” Irene said.

“Hmm? Oh, I take it you've met my nephew. No, I'm not his father, his father is, elsewhere. My name is Onox. But enough chatter, let's get him back to one piece shall we?” the monk said.

…...

Irene sat by Jotham's bedside, waiting for him to wake up. She wanted to apologize for how things went, and to talk to him further.

Once he did stir and awaken, if he looked at his bedside, he would see her standing there, like a vibrantly colored angel standing vigil over his rest. Of course this was because a torch was behind her, but the most effective magic, wasn't magic at all, just circumstance.

“I'm glad your awake. I, wanted to apologize, for having Grath rip you in half. I never imagined that would happen. Oh yeah, I grabbed your weapon for you. It's a nice staff, I put it in the corner. I think I'd much rather converse with you than fight you. So you say you're from another world? How is it possible that there's even more than one? I thought there was just Althanas and the planes connected to it. Does your world have the same planes? Can we get to your world through Phantaria? I'm sorry I have so many questions, but your a very interesting man I'd like to get to know better.” Irene said, bending over his bed.

Archanex Jotham
03-03-10, 08:53 AM
In the darkness of eternity, I sleep the Overmage's sleep. I find myself in a temple where the Thayne have convened. Staring at me, I can feel their stares judging me. Penance has been laid upon my soul. All I have ever wanted was a place to truly call home. Having long left Ayenee, the old life was over and a new life had begun. I had to accept the rules of Althanas over the rules of Ayenee but both of them were Wild Lands.

Time flowed since the incident with the Minotaur. Months, days, weeks, years, it didn't matter. It was all a single strand across many billions of strands that flowed across time and space forever and ever. I knew my place in this world now as a follower of Khal'Jaren. I abhorred violence but knew that it was a necessary evil. In a world gone mad, I was one of the few precious lights left...

Whilst Irene waited for Jotham to stir, considerable time passed time. The Monks worked extremely hard to bring the Overmage's light back to The Firmanent. Mending the body was one thing, but coaxing the soul to return to the body was an entirely different matter all together. When Jotham finally came to, he was aware of a tremendous pain in his body. His insides felt like they were on fire, and his body ached and throbbed. One of the attending healers looked at Irene with a sad look on his face.

"It will take time Irene. He received many serious injuries..." The Healer said and went back to work. Jotham stirred and finally awoke, gaining consciousness after the darkness had consumed his light almost utterly. Yet, where there was light there was also dark and where there was dark there was also light. A tiny pin-point of energy glowed in the Overmage's eyes as he blinked them open and the first thing he saw was the beautiful summoner. Somehow, she seemed to glow with a radiant nimbus around her body and it was a truly brilliant manifestation. Jotham felt blessed to see such an image of beauty in his hour of need. As he stared, he groaned for briefly feeling the tremendous pain in his body. Jotham was still very tender and sore.

Trying to sit up, his body protested. A powerful healer's hand rested upon the Overmage's shoulder and pushed down to keep him from injuring himself any further. Jotham did not resist. He understood that he was in the Medic's Offices. He heard the words that Irene spoke, his eyes told all, he was trying to find the right answers for her. When he found the strength to speak, it came out very soft and barely audible. As if he he had never spoken in his entire life before...

"P-Phantaria. It is a world connected to many worlds." Jotham began. "In one particular Gate, there is a special device used to travel to other realities, and other worlds all together." He was talking gibberish, crazy talk, but he was trying to make sense of it in layman's terms. "There is a special gate in Phantaria known as the Gates of Sensibility. Several devices are there that were created by the All-Thayne long ago." Trying to word the events correctly, the Overmage looked at Irene in the depths of those magnificent eyes. "My people use large chariots to travel to the stars and eventually traverse Phantaria to get here to Althanas. Althanas is one world in a cluster of many stars and worlds. We know that there are life forms on other planets in the Althanas-sector..." Jotham began, but assumed that she would not understand where the alien was coming from. Feeling a tremendous bout of pain in his body, the Overmage growled out for a long moment. Several Healers rushed to his side looking at Irene.

One of the Healers walked over to Irene.

"He draws strength and comfort from your presence, please stay by his side." The Healer asked of Irene.

Irene
03-03-10, 11:04 AM
Irene gently laid a hand on Jotham's shoulder.

“Your words remind me of another's. He too speaks of worlds connected to other worlds. Maybe you know each other? He isn't a mage like us, he's, something else. What, I don't know, and he doesn't either. He does glow red though, so that's something. Maybe you could explain to me what he speaks of, when he says the wise men of his homeland discovered the only thing separating them from their neighbors was a dimensional barrier that separates the day from the night.”

“You don't have it quite right dear, it is a dimensional barrier that separates Chronus from the rest of the world. Thankfully, it has cracks in it. It is a dimensional rift that separates Day from Night in Chronus, allowing Lumos and Noctum to be.” Grandmaster Onox said.

He was one of the leaders in the citadel, and often had many tasks to do elsewhere. He looked down at Jotham.

“Well, you seem to be coming along splendidly old chap. I knew I trained these healers well. I watched your battle. I advise you to work on the element of surprise. It isn't difficult to tell something's about to happen when your opponent is lit up like a torch. That, or if you can't work on surprise, at least improve your reaction time to an opponent's actions. You could've won under such circumstances.” Onox said.

“Why are you here wise elder?” Irene asked.

“Me? Wise? Are you drunk?” Onox asked with a smile.

Irene chuckled at Onox's response.

“Truthfully, my nephew sent you a message. He's waiting for you at the blue boar inn. The monks know our relation, and assumed it was a letter for me.” Onox said.

“Thank you honored elder.” Irene said.

“Listen young lady, I don't know who's lying to you, but I think I like them.” Onox said, smiling again.

“You get better soon young man, and take good care of this young lady. Don't forget what I said now.” Onox said.

With that, he turned on his heel, and left the room, pausing at the door only briefly to turn and nod to the healers.

“So, what are you going to do now? I promised someone I'd go on a trip with him to his homeland. He's looking for a knowledgeable mage to travel with us. How would you like to see the land of extreme magic? I'm sure he'd wait until you were feeling better. We can't leave for a few days anyway.” Irene said, her hand still on Jotham's shoulder.