PDA

View Full Version : Underwood Q&A

Nayeli
04-20-10, 11:59 AM
Odds are you've noticed the Underwood Forum that was opened this morning. Rules and information about the forum can be found in their own thread (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=20756), check 'em out! The purpose of Underwood is to serve as a training forum for new members and characters level 0-2. Underwood includes its own battle arena, an area for writing "classes," a reputation points system, and more. I am the Underwood moderator, and will be interjecting tips into quests and battles written there, and personally judging all completed Underwood threads.

Scara Brae has been moved to the Island Nations subforum, and the level restriction on it has been removed.

This thread is for the purpose of asking any questions you may have about Underwood. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Talk away! I'm glad to answer any questions and hear your opinions. :D

Alis Grave Nil
04-20-10, 07:40 PM
i saw one of the mission offered the chance to request a spoil, but i did not find the FAQ that it reffered to that gave a guideline on the spoils you could request...

From my exsperiance one could request the spoils one would want to keep within reasonable boundries... like requesting something you actually got from the quest and not request a ring that never apeared in the quest...

Nayeli
04-20-10, 08:21 PM
It's actually possible to request spoils from any completed quest, not just those taken from the Mission Board. Just post an OOC note at the end of the thread asking for what you want.

The limit is that you should only request spoils that you would reasonably receive during the duration of the quest. A judge doesn't have to approve your spoil, though, but getting a high score encourages them to do so. The place where it says that you can request a spoil after the quest probably just increases the judge's odds of approving your requested spoil. ;)

Knave
04-20-10, 10:56 PM
Bandits, livestock, sheriffs and mayors... For reference, is this a wild west type setting?

Nayeli
04-20-10, 11:02 PM
Nope, it's medieval fantasy, but that's an interesting observation. :p

Duffy
04-21-10, 08:02 PM
Out of interest, will such commentary come in the thread itself? (Spoiling my wonderful formatting!) Or will it come in a sub-thread or related workshop thread in another section of Underwood?

Nayeli
04-21-10, 08:17 PM
Commentary will come in-thread, but if you really don't want me to comment on it (and therefore spoil your lovely formatting) just PM me saying so and I shall avoid it like a plague of zombified demon-squirrels. Until the judging, that is. On the other hand, if you'd specifically like commentary even before a thread is done, same rule applies, just PM me and it shall be done! Sound good?

Unfulfilled
04-21-10, 09:52 PM
I honestly would PM them there hints and tips instead of in the middle of a story. It really would ruin the flow of the reading for those observing other people's work.

Nayeli
04-21-10, 10:16 PM
Maybe, but it is explicitly stated that the purpose of the Underwood forum is as a training forum. It seems like people might take it more seriously if it's posted right in their thread--plus the tips ought to be helpful for everyone, including those observing the thread.

I'm not sure though, it's a very new idea, and the whole process is sort of in the works. We haven't actually had any threads in Underwood just yet, so it's hard to say. ;) But yeah, we'll see how it goes and what works and what doesn't! :D

Revenant
04-21-10, 10:26 PM
Bah! Once you have goblins in your threads you ain't never getting them out again.

Nayeli
04-21-10, 10:44 PM
Bah! Once you have goblins in your threads you ain't never getting them out again.

I seem to remember a particular goblin named Kapimu that was particularly hard to get rid of... ;)

Ataraxis
04-21-10, 10:45 PM
You could always use OOC or Spoiler Tags for the in-thread comments. That way readers focused only on reading the story can vault over these tags as they usually do, while the writers will know where to look for their feedback. If as a mod you can edit other people's posts in Underwood, you could probably leave the feedback at the end without ever having to reply in the thread yourself.

Just a few ideas, until better ones come along.

Nayeli
04-21-10, 10:51 PM
I was considering both of those ideas, Ataraxis! ^^ I can edit people's posts, but I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable doing that, although it is a possibility. However, I don't think it'd be too tough for anyone reading over the thread to skip my posts (which would all be in OOC tags.) It might be a little bit intrusive, but then again that might just be the nature of the training forum. If anybody has any better ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

We don't have to worry about judges being distracted or confused by my comments either, since I'm going to be judging all the Underwood threads. :P

Knave
04-23-10, 03:15 PM
Hmm, I've got two questions. If the entire area is a training board, what exactly goes on in the academy?

And after going on a LONG stroll through the Corone boards history, can the Rangers be considered something like the CIA? :cool: Government abductions, surveillance, brain washing yada yada?

Nayeli
04-23-10, 03:19 PM
If the entire area is a training board, what exactly goes on in the academy?

Well there's nothing there yet (I'm planning some stuff though!) but...the idea is, sort of writing workshop kind of tutorials and things, and classes about roleplaying. Should be neat!

And after going on a LONG stroll through the Corone board, can the Rangers be considered something like the CIA?

Hahaha, I don't think so. :p That's not how I've thought of them, anyway, but um...I don't know much about them. I'd recommend that you ask Letho if you'd like more details about them. ;)

Kade Underbough
04-23-10, 04:17 PM
The Corone Rangers are more like an entire different government trying to toss the current. This may not be the most accurate analogy, but think of an African coup taking over a country by force, except they are much more popular amongst the average citizens. The third faction (I forgot the name) is more like the CIA, but appears to have its own goals outside of the Corone Empire (USA government), unlike the real CIA that is simply a weapon of the US government. Let me know if that clears things up at all, or if I just made it confusing.

Knave
04-23-10, 04:28 PM
The Corone Rangers are more like an entire different government trying to toss the current. This may not be the most accurate analogy, but think of an African coup taking over a country by force, except they are much more popular amongst the average citizens. The third faction (I forgot the name) is more like the CIA, but appears to have its own goals outside of the Corone Empire (USA government), unlike the real CIA that is simply a weapon of the US government. Let me know if that clears things up at all, or if I just made it confusing.

Hmm, while I certainly like the entire concept of a shadow gangster government I realize I fumbled my agencies. What I meant was an internal intelligence agency, the FBI. :cool: And now we have the FBI planning to over throw the government. Thank you.

In fact, yes, that is mighty helpful.

Visla Eraclaire
04-27-10, 06:42 AM
Query ~ The old Scara Brae rules limited the area to low levels and their invitees. I see the new rules do not allow higher-level accompaniment. Is this the intended policy?

I ask because I was browsing the recruitment forum and I was considering going along with someone on their mission to lend a hand.

I can see the reasoning either way, and it seems clear that the bonus rewards should not apply at the very least, lest a perverse incentive be created.

Nayeli
04-27-10, 07:07 AM
Characters of level three or higher aren't allowed in Underwood, nor can those who "graduate" from Underwood continue to receive the bonuses they got there. Experienced players are encouraged to use an alt or to start threads with new players in the Peaceful Promenade or other Althanas regions.

Gable Rose
05-11-10, 05:23 AM
I didn't see any real way of how the reputation is gained... how do you gain points? I noticed the judging system you guys use, but not how you get points in regards to what score you get. Is is a point for every 10 points you gain in the judgment? Or completely random?