PDA

View Full Version : An Angel's Symphony

Melancholy
05-10-10, 12:16 AM
Azel walked down the extravagant hallway. She kept her head bowed as she strode along. Not to watch her path, for her eyes weren't blessed with vision, but out of respect for her master. In fact, all of the slaves in this mansion walked with their gazes fixated on the their feet, or so she had been told.
But Azel was no ordinary slave. No, her master had a special appreciation for her over everyone else in the household. Not because she had some extraordinary beauty or intelligence, because she knew for a fact that she was not the most brilliant girl around, and no one had ever actually complimented her looks. Perhaps if she could see herself, she would be able to better tend to her appearance. But the man adored her for her voice. Azel tried her hardest to be modest, because pride was a sin, but she could never help but feel a twinge of glory at how enthused her master sounded when she sang for him. He always told her that she had the voice of an angel. Of course, he was only kind to her when he wanted her to serenade him, but she couldn't mind.
The blind servant was startled as she bumped into something. Usually, she could feel the presence of objects around her so she wouldn't run into anything, but she had been so wound up in her thoughts that she hadn't even noticed the object in her way. She stumbled over it, landing roughly on the ground, only moments after hearing the resound of a thud immediately followed by the sound of glass shattering. It dawned on Azel that it had been one of her Master's prize vases. She scrambled hurriedly to her feet.
"No no no...." She cried, growing teary-eyed not from the fact that she was injured, but because her master would have a fit when he saw this.
She began frantically attempting to scoop up the shards, the pieces slicing up her palms. She ignored the bitter sting against her skin, but already she could feel warm liquid oozing from the fresh cuts.
After a few moments, she was startled by someone yanking her backward from the glass, and into a warm embrace. She hadn't heard a door open, or even footsteps approach her. It was unnerving, for usually her hearing was much keener than that.
"You idiot!" It was a man, though she didn't recognize the voice. "What are you doing? Just ask someone else to pick up a mess like that..." She felt him take both of her hands, examining the burning cuts.
She sniffled, her soft white eyes seeming focused on her hands as well, though looking through them. "I'm sorry... Please, just let me clean it. It was my mess...."
"Azel, you're such a klutz. We can worry about the glass later. I'm going to help you clean your wounds."
"No, I...." She trailed off, realizing what he had just said. "How did you know my name? Do I know you?" She started to reach up to brush her fingers along his face, a customary, instinctive move for her to make when talking to new people. It was the closest way for her to "see" what people looked like, by learning their features. However, she stopped cold as she remembered that her hands were bloody. She lowered her arm, stepping back slightly.
"It... You don't know me, per say, but just about everyone here knows you. You are the Master's pet, after all."
Azel felt like his answer was hiding something under his sarcastic tone, but she didn't have a chance to inquire as her attention was grabbed by a shout.
"Azel! What have you done?!" This voice she did recognize. It was Mrs. Crowley, the woman who was in charge of the servant's quarters, as well as assigning tasks and chores to keep everyone busy. To compensate for the soft spot that the Master had for Azel, Mrs. Crowley was doubly tough on her.
She gulped. "I..... It was an accident."
"What...." As the woman got closer, she snatched up Azel's left wrist, causing her to flinch. "What is this? You're getting blood all over the carpet! And right before the event tonight too! Oh,Azel, if you weren't so gifted, I'd have thrown you out ages ago..." The plump woman muttered, pulling Azel away from the mess.
"B- Wait, that man...." Azel tried to wiggle her arm free, but to no avail.
"What are you griping about, child? What man?"
"The one who I was talking to before you showed up!" Azel stated, probably raising her girlish voice a bit louder than she needed to.
"You weren't talking to anyone, girl. You were alone when I saw you. Now hurry. I've got to clean you up to be in Master D'trin's presence. Oh, you're already late for your recital....." The woman began rambling to herself, but Azel tuned her out. Alone? No, she knew there was someone there. There had to be. She had felt his touch, his warmth... Perhaps she was going insane.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a quick wash and bandaging, Azel was rushed out onto a warm stage. This room was perhaps the one she spent more time in than any other place in the mansion. The dusty and old yet alluring and unique smell that filled the auditorium wasn't anywhere else in the household, or at least not anywhere Azel had been yet. She had grown to feel very comfortable in this room, and the warmth beating down on her from the stage lights in sync with her harmonic singing when she was up here almost made her feel like she was in her own little world, safe and alone and at peace.
"Ive been waiting for you, Azel. You know how much I despise being kept waiting." Her master said calmly, though she could read the upset in ever inch of his voice. He always had a very collected demeanor, yet somehow it was extremely obvious when he wasn't pleased.
"O-Oh, yes, Master. My apologies. I was injured on my way here..." She subconsciously wiggled her fingers. They felt odd, wrapped up in the paper-thin bandages like the wounded soldiers in stories she had heard.
"So I had heard. But enough of that. Sing, now."
She nodded, a strand of her silken hair brushing her cheek. She grabbed the hem of her short, ragamuffin dress and gave a small curtsy, then took a deep breath, closed her eyes as she did every time she sang, and let loose her voice. The words were in another language, they always were. She didn't understand what they said, but she understood the feeling in them. The songs she sang just came to her, from her heart she had presumed. No one had ever taught her any songs, or even how to sing. It just came naturally. And every time she sang, the song was different. It pleased her Master, which in turn pleased her. All she ever really wanted was to make people happy. If she could do that, then she would be perfectly content with her life.
Azel wasn't sure if it was just her, but every time she sang, she felt calm and blissful. Perhaps it was because she was doing something she loved, but she got the feeling that her voice worked it's magic on everyone else who heard it as well.
She continued to purr out her tune until she felt the song was near its end. As she concluded the song, she bowed her head and opened her eyes, a small smile forming on her lips.
"Absolutely beautiful, Azel. As long as you give a performance like that tonight, I won't even make you pay off the vase you broke." He stated in his deep voice. The huge room caused his voice have a slight boom to it, and it was a bit intimidating.
She bowed her head, smile fading. "I am deeply sorry Master...."
"Enough apologizing. I need your spirits up for the show."
"If I may, sir..... But why am I going to be performing tonight? I understand that you are throwing a celebration and all nobles are invited, but why would you want a lowly slave involved in it?"
"Because that lowly slave just happens to be my pride and joy. You, Azel, are my most valuable possession, and I am going to show you off to the world."
She felt a soft blush rise to her cheeks, but didn't pry further. She had been practicing every day for months for this celebration, yet tonight was the first time she had inquired about it. She almost wished she hadn't. Now she felt pressured, and already stage fright was easing its way into the corners of her mind. She listened to his footsteps head up the few stairs leading up to the stage from the seating area, and he moved toward her until she felt his hand rest upon her cheek. She averted her blind eyes to the floor instinctively.
"You had better do well tonight, Azel. You know what will happen if you disappoint me." He spoke in the same relaxed voice, yet the ice laced in it sent a chill down her spine.
"Yes, Master..." She whispered.
He lowered his hand. "Now go, and rest for the few free hours you have until the guests start arriving."
She nodded, and immediately scurried off the stage. She said a silent prayer of thanks that she knew this auditorium so well.
---------------------------------------
"Pssst.... Sven?" Azel whispered, sneaking through the gardens just outside the house. It was late spring, so everything was just about fully bloomed. The air was dank with the sweet smell of vegetation and blossoms. She was glad, for it definitely was relaxing her nerves. Her Master didn't like her to be outside the mansion at any time, but sometimes she just needed a breath of fresh air. Right now was definitely one of those times.
There was a trill from the tree above her, then a rustle and she heard flapping above her head. She giggled and reached blindly to the source of the sound. Right away she felt the aerial beast land, graceful and gentle, in her hand. She tightened her fingers around it's talons, then brought her arms down.
"Hello Sven." She softly rubbed the large raven's silky feathers. It cooed and squawked.
She sighed heavily, loosening her hand so he could get comfortable. "Boy, do I have a story for you. You won't believe me though."
Sure enough, he fluttered up to perch on her shoulder. As a response, he fluffed his feathers. She felt them brush her neck.
"Well, for starters, there was this guy that... well.... He just kinda showed up. I didn't even hear him coming. And then Mrs. Crowley said I was imaging him. But I swear he was there...." She sighed and sat in the plush green grass. The bird seemed to tense slightly, then relaxed as she sat down. He hopped off her shoulder and onto the grass. He cooed, then pecked at the hem of her tattered dress. she pulled it from him nonchalantly, then continued talking.
"I didn't recognize his voice, but for some reason he seemed familiar. Isn't that odd?"
Sven cawed his agreement.
"But oh well, I guess. Master says to rest until the nobles show up, but I'm too antsy to sleep."
Okay, so yes, sometimes she did find it a bit odd that a bird was her best friend, and the only person - er, creature - that she could actually talk to, but she was honestly glad about it. He always listened to what she had to say, he never talked back or degraded her, and he never ever upset her. What more could you ask for in a friend?
"Sven.... Y'know, I think I've grown a wild hair. I'd love to just go out and.... and see the world. All the beautiful sights and sounds. Just like in the stories that Nana used to tell me."
Nana was her nickname for the elderly woman who used to are for her when she was younger. She didn't remember much about her life before being taken into slavery at the mansion, but the old woman's stories stuck vividly with her. She would tell Azel of her life, sailing and treating wounded soldiers, traveling nations and conquering evil beasts. Azel used to dream of becoming just like her, but had grown to realize that a blind little girl was better off staying safe inside a mansion. But lately, the longing had resurfaced for some reason. Of course, there was no way she would ever leave the bonds that she was kept in. It was just a dream, and dreams weren't to be compared to life.
"Well, I'll never venture past this garden. But you, you're free to go wherever you like. So why do you stay here?"
Sven crowed, and Azel could tell that he was puffing his chest feathers by how off the noise was from his usual crooning. He almost seemed offended. She smiled as she felt him rub his beak against her hand.
"Oh, Sven. You're such a silly bird......."