PDA

View Full Version : I’ll Fight Hell to Hold You

Letho
06-15-10, 12:39 PM
((Closed to Dissinger and Zantetsuken))

His back was aching. It wasn’t anything serious, more of a minor crick somewhere at the bottom end of his spine, but it was enough to remind Letho Ravenheart that he wasn’t a young man anymore. With some forty-odd years of reckless life under his belt (damn near half of which were spent on dirty roads or just as dirty inn beds), he was not only starting to look the part, but feeling it as well. He was weary, worn out by all the battles, all the quests and adventures and blood and sweat and clashing swords and shattered shields and muddy battlefields, of all the belligerent imagery that jumped into the forefront of his mind every time he tried to get some rest.

The last decade was the worst, the final nail in the coffin of his vigor. Starting off with Myrhia’s death at childbirth, it only spiraled downwards from there until he found himself on the rock bottom and the darkness that veiled it. Instead of finding eternal peace at the end of a harsh life, Myrhianna’s soul got trapped in the underworld, bound by some dark witchery, leaving Letho with only her screams to fill his nights. On his mission to save his beloved from the agony he wound up turning his back on everything he ever fought for, everything he struggled so hard to be. His pride, his integrity, his morality, he put it all to sacrifice for only a chance to save the woman he loved. And now finally it seemed he had a chance to do so. But before he sailed off on one final quest he had to make sure a certain someone couldn’t follow him. For she too was stubborn and reckless and all too ready to throw herself on the sword for the ones she loved.

Ignoring the tightening tingle in his back, he continued to scribe runes on the hardwood floor of the Dahlios manor. He had already chalked them on the walls and the ceiling, strange, ominous glyphs that he learned during a darker time, under the tutelage of the necromancers just before he put them all to the blade. He was rather certain that Liliana wouldn’t take kindly to the fact that he tainted their guest room with this wizardry, but it was the only idea he had and the time was short. Better to suffer the scorn of one woman than to have the blood of another on his hands.

Finishing the last set, he unrolled the carpet on top of it before he could finally straighten his back and utter a relieving sigh. It would do the trick, Letho knew; he had used it on a number of mages back on Tempus Island. Just before he slaughtered them. But that was before, before Lorelei and the rescue crew popped in to tear him from the hands of doom. A pointless risk, the swordsman mused, especially considering that same doom awaited him with its arms wide open at the end of the road.

Turning his back to the door and his eyes to the dreary autumn in the land of Reven just outside of the window, Letho waited for his daughter.

Five minutes later...

“No!” Lorelei insisted. Her furrowed brow – which she seemed to inherit from her father, for he had one on his face at the moment as well – and the firm shake of her head that sent her mahogany red locks wild only further accentuated the defiant determination in her voice. “I will not be left behind. She is my mother!”

“This is not up to discussion,” Letho’s voice rumbled. His broad shoulders were still turned towards her and his eyes were still affixed on the uninteresting scenery on the other side of the glass. Outside, the world was a brownish, dying thing, the trees shedding their dry leaves in expectation of another frigid winter, while the clouds loomed overhead with promise of a downpour. He expected that kind of a response from the girl. The same blood flowed through their veins, the same stubbornness and pride holding them upright, the same determination dictating their course of action. He had hoped that Myrhia’s pacifism would prevail when it came to Lorelei’s behavior, or if that failed that her peaceful upbringing would distance her from the violent way of life he had led, but she seemed to have the same fire in her eyes that he had when he was just a lordling and the world was a prettier, simpler place.

“Why? Because it is a perilous journey? Because I could get hurt?” she continued, swinging around his calm figure to come face to face with her father. “Tempus Island was like that and I survived. I can handle myself, father. You know I can. I survived you.”

The memories of that fateful clash still tormented the swordsman despite the rather fortunate outcome. He had been stark mad at Tempus Island, driven insane by grief and lust for... What was it again? Justice? Revenge? Retribution? Liberation? He couldn't say with certainty. Maybe it was a bit of everything, a tainted stew spiced up by the endless wails of his beloved that haunted his dreams. Always he heard them, sometimes silent, at the edge of hearing just as sleep would overcome him, and sometimes clear and loud, as if someone was flaying her skin in the next room. And always they reminded him that she was dead and he was alive, and that world would never be the same. Not without her. In his madness Letho had thought that tormenting and slaying the innocent would somehow set it right again. He knew better now. Only sacrifice could do that.

He looked down towards his daughter and his own eyes stared back at him, only vibrant where his were weary, innocent where his were tainted. “I have made my decision,” was his response before he swung around and made for the door. The teenager moved to follow her father with every intention to keep shouting and talking his ear off, but by the time his hand was on the knob, her body collided with an invisible wall. The surprise collision with Letho's magic barrier sent the girl reeling backwards, barely regaining her balance in time.

“What is this?” Lorelei demanded, her hand reaching for her face, dabbing her wrist at her nose, expecting droplets of blood. There were none. Her other hand explored the field that surrounded her now, her fingers tracing he pulsating barrier. “You... you did this? To contain me?”

“I am sorry, Lorelei, but...”

“No, you are not!” she shouted at his broad back. “You do not know what sorry is even supposed to feel like.”

The words stung, burying themselves deep until they found what was left of Letho's heart and started ripping it to shreds. How wouldn't they when his own daughter still saw him as a monster he had been on that day on Tempus Island? He wanted to turn around, wanted to sit down with her and explain everything that had led him to that point, wanted to show her the man he once was. The man he still could be. But it would be to no avail. No, he had to show her. And the first step was leaving her behind.

He stepped out of the room, closing the door to another barrage of her accusations and made his way out of the manor. Outside, Seth and Karel waited, the harsh wind whipping at their patient figures. Letho's eyes went up to the sky, trailed the darkening hues to the north where a storm was brewing. A fitting weather, he thought, a dire forecast for a dire mission. He dropped his eyes to face his two companions.

“Let us be away.”

Dissinger
06-15-10, 05:31 PM
"I told you so…"

The words hung effortlessly in the air, spoken from the lips of a rather plain looking girl resting upon the best. She was upon her stomach, brown hair splayed about her, rather than tied back in a ponytail or other such thing. She rarely tied it back, seeing that as nothing but a waste of time, since the hair was going to get loose anyways. A gentle smile crossed her face as she looked upon the other figure, who was throwing things into his pack restlessly.

Brown hair, as untamed as the man it was attached to, adorned the head of this figure. Gauntlets made out of leather covered his hands, the only armor he truly wore. His clothing was no better than a peasant's, the off white color of one ill prepared to afford the bleach necessary to keep it white. Loose grey pants adorned his lower body kept in place by a rope belt. The vest that he wore was a rich brown leather, barely constituting armor with how many times it had been pierced. What was truly remarkable was the eyes, that stormy grey that seemed restless, matching the fervor of the winds and the sky outside.

"I suppose you did," Was the casual reply, even as another bit of clothing was callously tossed into the pack. He sat on the edge of the bed before he sighed looking inside the pack, trying to make sure he had not forgotten anything. They had only been back for a week, long enough for Letho to recover from the torment he had put himself through.

The house they were staying in was perhaps Lavinya's worst kept secret. While under the name of Liliana Ambria, anyone who knew Seth, and truth be told that number was rising every day, knew that Liliana was his guiding star. Occasionally a member of the Thief's guild would show up, and Seth would talk with them at length. Otherwise, most people wisely kept away. Even the guards refused to approach the Lavinian Demon's home, which made it almost seem normal.

It had taken Seth a few months, but most of the knick knacks that had decorated his childhood home had been recovered. Most notable of the collection were his parent's favorite ones. Liliana of course understood why he had gone to such pains to, as a form of penance. Still as he looked upon them he felt two slender arms wrap around his chest before he felt a head rest on his shoulder, matching his line of sight before she whispered, "They'd be proud of you. Of course, I don't have to tell you that…"

He moved his face to look into Liliana's before he kissed her gently and pulled back. She gave him a warm smile as they sat upon the bed like that for what seemed an eternity. Finally Seth spoke, "I should probably go say goodbye to Samantha. It's gotta be hard on the girl, with me coming and going like this…"

The hug tightened as Liliana dragged him back deeper onto the bed and whispered, "I only just got you back darling, and it's hard on both of us. I was hoping for at least another week…"

"I wish I could give you that week love, but Letho is determined to get this done. He's as stubborn as I am, you know that," Seth replied firmly.

Liliana nodded sadly before she kissed his cheek and whispered, "Go, before I decide I want to keep you for myself. Sam should be leaving for the guild soon, and you don't want to miss her…"

A sigh of resolve left Seth's lips before he nodded and grabbed the pack. Turning to look back at his wife for a moment longer he leaned forward and gave her the kiss he wish he had earlier. She quickly gripped him tightly returning it with all the fervor he poured into it before he finally pulled back, looking down. When he met those doe brown eyes he whispered, "When I get back, you aren't going to be sleeping a wink…"

"When I get back, we need to finish breaking in this house…" She replied firmly. This was no childish whim, nor was it some sultry promise, it was a fact set in stone. He smiled upon hearing the proclamation before he said firmly;

"Fair enough, I'm sure you know where we left off…" He then moved to the door before he looked back one last time at his Angel. She was watching him on the bed, and though she would never say it, never show it, he knew what she was thinking.

Don't go, you might not come back…

He gave her a casual salute, like he had so many times before. Liliana waved sadly before he turned back to the door and left, feeling a piece of him fall behind to stay with her. Their marriage had been hurried in the aftermath of his resurrection at Liliana's hands. Even more hurried was the means of locating and buying this very house. For some time Seth had refused to go anywhere, only to spend time with the family he had nearly lost, until the letter arrived. Once that damnable piece of paper had shown up on his doorstep, he had gone after Letho, and their world changed.

While he regretted leaving them, he never regretted what was done in the wake of his absence. Until Samantha was finished with Guild Training, they couldn't in good conscience leave her on her own. Sure, she could have stayed at Garret's place, hung out with their son, but in the end he couldn't put that hardship on his lifelong friend. How do you ask a friend to watch your kid while you go off risking your life for months at a time?

"Samantha!" Seth called through the house, hearing the sounds of footsteps rush down the hall. It was then he saw his daughter, dressed up and ready to go. A soft smile crossed his face as he hugged his daughter tightly.

The newest member of the Dahlios clan was a white haired girl, perhaps the repercussion of Seth's foray into Hex Magic, perhaps something else entirely. They had never questioned the odd hair coloring, knowing all too well that Althanas was a place where the unexplainable happened everyday with the rising sun. While gaining Seth's peculiar personality traits, she had taken after her mother in many aspects, her shapely form, while not over the top was easily passable as beautiful. Of course, the girl was only beginning to fill out, being and youthful, she took after her fathers pursuits. Looking upon the girl he hugged her again before he spoke, "What are you learning today?"

"Dagger fighting!" She said firmly as she looked into her Father's eyes. He smirked before he lovingly tapped her nose and spoke;

"Be nice, don't embarrass the boys too much."

He then ruffled her hair causing her to giggle before she said softly, "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere I shouldn't, but I have to. One day I might be able to talk about it, but not right now. I need you to do me a favor though…" Seth replied.

"What is it?" Samantha asked a look of concern in her eyes. He smiled, knowing full well that his girl would do almost anything for him.

"Lorelai," Seth replied firmly. Samantha looked into his eyes for awhile before she nodded. Seth clarified a bit more as he said, "She isn't used to the in and out father thing yet. Further she's only gotten back in touch with her dad recently, like you. Perhaps you can help her heal the rift a little bit, so when I come back with the knucklehead they can try to become a family…"

She gave him a brave smile before she said, "I'm still not used to the father in and out thing yet. I'm sure that'll come in time. First though, first I need to get to the guild before the teacher yells at me again for being late…" Seth chuckled as they moved down the hallway. Once outside Seth gave his little girl a quick kiss on the cheek before he spoke;

"Be good…"

"Aww, come on dad, you never were!" Samantha playfully pouted before Seth playfully shoved her on her way.

"Yes, that’s why I want you to be good…" He called out afterwards. She was soon out of sight, yet he felt two familiar eyes upon him. Not bothering to look at them he shouldered his pack more comfortably before he said sagely, "Kid's, what are you going to do with them?"

Zantetsuken
06-19-10, 04:04 AM
Karel’s body woke itself as he groggily opened his eyes. Yawning loudly he pulled himself up, the clean silk sheets draping off his bare chest as he ran a hand through his hair grumbling about sleeping in. He rarely had such luxuries, and his trip to rescue Letho had given the Saint of Swords a very bad taste in his mouth as well as a few dreams that haunted him.

Coming to the Dahlios manner was a refreshing change of pace, Karel thanking Seth and his wife Liliana greatly for their home. He had kept to himself most of the stay, finding himself as an awkward third wheel. Seth spent time with his daughter, Letho spent time with his, and Karel…Karel had his nightmares.

He dreamed darkly each night of Vladimir, his vile grin, his piercing golden eyes, his hair flashed out in a wild fashion as the two stood off, blood dripping down their faces and blades. Every time he saw the man in his dreams it was always the same. He would charge his nemesis, and in return a white flash would see him falling into an endless abyss.

Thankfully however, the night was just a calm blank slate. No dreams plagued him, and he was thankful for the rest, already hearing the boots pounding against the hard wood floor towards the entrance. Karel got up, fixing himself as he dressed quickly, tucking his three swords into their respected spots upon his body, pulling up on the straps of his boots and finishing them off with a neat knot. He slapped his knees, stood up and walked out the door, seeing a small girl before him.

“I’m supposed to tell you that my dad and Letho are ready to go. They are waiting on you, Mr. Raven.” Karel nodded to the girl, heading towards the entrance to the manner, listening as he heard the grumbles of Seth, the depressed tone of Letho, and something else missing entirely. He couldn’t place it until he rounded the corner, but once he took in the scene he had realized Letho had not brought his daughter. The hero of Savion exited the room, her screams of protest loud and ringing in Karel’s ears as the two men turned and left. Karel felt a guilty pang in his heart, but he traveled onwards behind them.

Karel looked up to the sky, noticing the clouds forming overhead. He placed his hands behind his head, looking to the two men as they talked and sighed loudly. He could see how it pained Letho to leave his daughter behind, Seth however didn’t seem to mind to terribly much. He jogged a bit, catching up to the men as he looked to them both with a polite nod.

“Well gentlemen, where we off to?” Karel asked.

Letho
08-29-10, 02:41 PM
((This post sucks donkey balls! :eek:))

The wind was picking up. When they set sail out of Reven at dawn, the storm was just a gray blur above the horizon, eating away at the dull blue skies. By midday it already dimmed the world considerably, painting over everything with a dreary tint. And now, as the sun dipped into the sea in the west, it started to catch up with them, rousing the sea around the ship, snapping their sails tight. Letho figured that the captain hoped to outrun the storm, but he wasn't terribly concerned about the seaman's failure. Old sea dogs such as Captain Sewell always had a trick or two up their sleeve and the ship was sturdy. They would both do their job.

But it wasn't the weather that made Letho restless. Aside from several snoring sailors – probably sleeping off their rowdy visits to Reven's taverns during shore leave – he was alone in the room. And as always, such solitude led him down the path that inevitably led to Myrhia. The sound of her screaming wasn't as bad the last few days. It was as if whatever demon tormented the redhead in the pits of Underworld decided to take a breather, leaving only her whimpers transcending time and space and creeping into Letho's mind. Still, even they were enough to banish any trace of sleep from the swordsman.

Rising from a cot in an unremarkable line of cots and hanging nets in the crew quarters of Candice, Letho took a moment to adjust to the constant motion of the floor below before he made his way to the large wooden trunk in his corner. Almost as large as a coffin, it gave the deckhands quite a lot of trouble as they lumbered it on board. Small surprise considering it basically contained everything that Letho possessed. Far to the left and above, a solitary oil lantern dangled from one of the beams, swinging in sync with the boat's motion, but even its dim flicker was enough for the swordsman to recognize his items once he opened the chest.

The Lawmaker gunblade dominated the interior of the trunk, the six-odd feet of brown dehlar covered with reddish traces of rust. There were times when Letho would've been concerned by the lack of maintenance, even ashamed. But nowadays he cared for it not at all. He let his finger trace the inscription on the flat of the blade, then proceed to the hilt of his adamantine sword below, the grip worn by years of usage. He knew the grip of that sword as well as he knew the lines on his own palm. But he didn't reach for it. Instead, he pushed it aside, dug beneath the dragonscale shield and finally found what he was looking for.

The spear he fetched from the trunk was fairly unremarkable. The nihon wood of the shaft held pretty well against the years and the prevalida tip seemed to resist deterioration, but to just about everybody it looked like a random polearm. But not to Letho. After all, once upon a time this had been her spear. The Marshal held it delicately, as if it was a relic of time long past and the wood would crumble in his hands.

“Gods, she was lousy with this thing,” Letho reminisced, his face cracking one of the rare smirks. He had tried to teach her some advanced techniques, but he was a lousy teacher and she was a lousy soldier, and it wound up being no more than a stick to her. Half the time he would sigh and she would charge him with the dull end, and he would disarm her, and then they'd fall on the ground and laugh it out. Her laughter... Gods, he could no longer remember what it sounded like, not after a decade of listening to her screams echoing in his head, defying reason. Inspiring madness.

“I am coming for you, Myri,” Letho muttered, returning the spear to the trunk with an almost religious deliberation. He picked up his adamantine swords and slammed the trunk shut, rousing several sailors as he departed from the round.

One deck up and two corridors later, he stood in the doorway of the mess hall, locating the only two people he could call friends nowadays. Karen Hector Raven sat at one of the tables, languidly sipping on what his face revealed to be a pretty bitter brew. Karel and Letho went way back, all the way to Scara Brae when they had been just a couple of greenhorns, doing mercenary work for beans. “Without a care in the world,”, Letho thought. Karel had always been the one person Letho could always count on, and this tribulation was no different. Karel didn't ask questions, didn't need time to think about it, didn't give ambiguous answers. He wasn't Letho's friend. He was his brother.

Seth was... a different story. The Lavinian lounged in the corner, one foot up on the bench, sliding a sharpening stone down the edge of his dagger. There had been times when those daggers were going for Letho's throat. Several times, if Letho remembered correctly. Any one of those encounters could've been fatal for the two, but instead of hate, respect was born out of their belligerence. Eventually, it evolved into recognition, acknowledgment that they weren't all that different despite spending their lives on the opposite sides of the law. There was something rotten in both of them, something that polluted all those around them. Seth seemed to have cured his demons. Now he was here to help Letho exorcise his.

“We need to talk,” the Marshal said to two, then nodded upwards. “Let us go on the main deck. It stinks of wet dog in here.” The chef of the Candice, a surprisingly lanky man with a face of wrinkled old leather gave out a snort, but by then the Marshal was halfway down the corridor.

Dusk was slowly giving way to a stormy night as Letho emerged from the bowels of the ship. Compared to the stuffy hallways below deck, the air outside was chilly, the wind gusts whipping against the sails vigorously enough for the captain to command half of them tied up lest they tear. Buttoning his denim jacket, Letho made his way down towards the prow of the Candice. There was no rain as of yet, but it was inevitable given the cloud cover that by now almost completely caught up with the ship, ripping the darkness with sporadic lightning. Still, the sea was calm enough for even one as inept at seafaring as Letho to be surefooted on the deck and the rocking motion still came at regular intervals.

It didn't take long for his two friends to join him, the Lavinian pulling his collar up to shield himself from the wind and the Saint of Swords wrapping his fluttering coat tighter. “So, Dahlios, what is our plan with these Hex Mages of yours?” Letho asked, planting his elbows on the starboard bulwark. His eyes stared into the inky nothingness that surrounded him. “If I know mages – and I have been acquainted with them – they are not very keen on parting with their secrets.”