PDA

View Full Version : Jam Time For The Mind

Chidori Draconid
07-31-06, 04:07 AM
Chidori’s eyes became wide as Avakra read some familiar words. This was a horrible way to start the day; to hear her catch him in what he considered a cloaking of the truth. She probably considered it a lie. It was ironic that he was able to hide the fact that he was going to Istien from his psychic girlfriend, and that she found out because he had carelessly left his song book on his night stand next to his bed. She had slept beside it all night. In fact she had probably slept beside it several nights, and rose beside it several mornings, but it was this morning that she had mustered up the courage to fight past her courtesy and scan the pages with her bright amber eyes. The young deity turned over in his bed to see Avakra sitting up in nothing but her favorite pearl necklace, which she twirled in her left hand. She had his Istien song book in her right hand.

My world will ignite with heat
The sky will peel back its skin
As I tear through your reality
Discharges flow from my fingers…

“Hold on now, Chidori!” Avakra said with a chuckle as Chidori reached for the song book. She held her palm to his face and directed his head to her bare stomach. “Let me finish, love.”

…Break the windows to your soul
When I reach for it and connect.
I am the cloud, and this is the Cloudburst.

Chidori gave up and rolled over to look up at her. “See? Are you convinced now that they’re not love letters to another woman?” His eyes were pout and apologetic, but his message was clear. Although he should not have been keeping Istien a secret, she should not have been poking around in his personal effects. He was ignored though.

Avakra put the book down, held her hand out and repeated the lyrics. This time she sang them as written in the small page of sheet music. He could feel her stomach tighten as her majestic powerful soprano voice left her petite body and dominated the room. It only took a second or two for tiny bolts of electricity to jump between her thin fingers. She stopped there and shook her hand with a smile. Then she turned back to Chidori and stared at him with a faint smirk on her small mouth. She wasn’t angry. That was good, but the silent stare was still just as effective. The divine daughter of the ocean waited for the son of the Nymph and Dragon to explain, and she wouldn’t give up.

Chidori sat up and looked at her in silent objection. He didn’t want to admit why he was keeping his Istien lessons a secret. It was these moments that he wished she wasn’t psychic. Although she was limited to hearing auditory thoughts, she would hear him rehearsing a lie in his head if he ever came up with one. He couldn’t tell her that he was hoping to surprise her, or that he was simply being absent minded. Actually now that he’d thought of them she’d heard them, and her beautiful face was slowly shifting to anger as he took these lies into consideration. The young deity rolled his grey eyes and sighed.

“I didn’t want to embarrass myself. You’re so good I just…” He shrunk away realizing what he really needed to say. “Sorry.”

“You shouldn’t apologize for something you’re not sorry for, and I wasn’t looking for an apology. Just a reason.” Avakra smiled and leaned against him, and he kissed the top of her head as he smelled her long black hair. She had gotten more out of him than she’d expected, but that was okay. It was almost like extra spoils after defeating the enemy. “It says in that book that you were planning to go to Istien tonight. Can I go with?”

“Sure.” Chidori figured if Avakra was going to hear him sing it might as well be where he was most comfortable, and that was within the walls of the university.

Nearly ten hours later the sun lay down for its rest and the divine couple could see their parents going about their business in the sky. Tonight there was a strange blue nebula stretching out across the sky. The Gods were particularly attentive tonight as they watched in anticipation to see their two favorite children perform at Istien. Surely Chidori wasn’t going to allow Avakra, whom he had bragged about to his peers, to just stand on the side and watch him sing. No. Tonight she would be just as much of a student as he. They approached the clean brass gates of Istien University hand in hand as Chidori tapped them open with his cane.

“Hey, Chid! Hold on man!”

Chidori and Avakra turned to see a crew of nearly a dozen students approach from across the stone street. A few of them had instruments in hand, lutes, flutes, violins, classical guitars, and more. Buggy, the most outgoing of the group led them forward. He didn’t have an instrument. Instead he had a couple of quirked bottles full of white wine in his hands.

“Hey, Buggy.” Chidori said with a casual smile.

“Now I told these guys all we needed to do was look out for the same lame ass black silk ambiance that Chidori Draconid usually wears.” Buggy said with a laugh. He was right. Chidori did have a monotonous sense of fashion, but he wasn’t pulling Avakra down with him because she was already there. She was also stuck in a color coordinated rut, with a snug blue silk tunic and pants with silver embroidery from head to toe. “But I didn’t expect to see a girl beside you! Hi. I’m Buggy. You must be Avakra. Very pleased to meet your acquaintance.”

The men greeted her with handshakes while the women greeted her with hugs. She received comments all around about how pretty she was and how they had heard all about her from Chidori. They sent her back to him with a strawberry red blush instead of her usual honey tone. That should have more than made up for Chidori keeping Istien a secret since he certainly didn’t keep Avakra a secret.

“So Anebrilith Pinot Gris today?” The young deity said as he tilted his head and scanned the bottles in Buggy’s hands. “Somehow I knew you were a closet fruit… drinker.” His peers erupted in laughter.

“Hey, now. Hey, now. Corinne, our instructor asked for this kind specifically. She paid, and we’re getting intoxicated for free after class, so I’m game.”

A soprano voice more powerful that Avakra’s leaped from behind the walls of the University and rang in their ears. The tall gates swung open to reveal a tall slender Elven woman with jade eyes, a bounce to her step, and an invigorating smile. Her song was not particularly that of any specific school genre. It was her personal choice of tone, lyrics, and rhythm. Many students called Celeste Corinne’s style a ‘jam’ style. The word was fitting. The beat was contagious, and the rest of the class quickly began to rock with her.

”I work the power to make this ink transform
On any particular surface my pen lands on
Then my mind’s eye will spawn
Whatever abomination I conceive
Then reality will link
And powers that be will lean
To the will of the intended kill
And sprout the mental plant from the bean.”

By the end of her lyrical improvisation the musicians of the class had started to accompany her, matching her tune to their own. The majority of the class had done this a few times before so they knew that it was a student’s turn to participate, so they kept a beat and tune and waited for someone to jump in and offer their lyrical creativity.

streak101
08-01-06, 02:49 AM
Banda had been doing nothing for the past few days, and that was something he never liked to do. I need something to do! There's no work here, and all I got to do is drink, eat, and sleep! Banda sighed as he leaned on the wooden bar stand, "What'll ya have sonny?" Asked the chubby bartender. Banda sighed, "Don't play games with me Angloc, you've seen me here for the past 2 weeks. I'll have the usual." Angloc, gave a chuckle, "Rootbeer it is heheheh!"

Banda looked around the bar, it was old, that was for sure, and the smell of beer, and vomit tainted the air. It smells like my father's breath. Banda thought recalling his childhood memories, from long ago. Though it was old, the bar was the only one for miles so it was bustling with customers. Angloc must've been making a fortune. He even had an underground ring where the drunks, and the egotistics went to brawl for some gold, Banda had tried it out, and used it as a way of making money. That's how he paid for his drinks.

Angloc came back from his cellar, clanging two bottles of rootbeer, together in joy. your just doing that because your getting paid. "Here ya go m' boy! One for you, and one for me." They raised their bottles for a toast, "To money!" Angloc shouted, "Yeah! To my money!" Banda added, and they drank their fill. "So what's the entertainment tonight Angloc?" Banda had asked, "Well Banda, I got us a singing man, yes I did. He said he learned his singing from some place I think it was, Isty, or Itsy-bitsy-" "Istien?" Banda interupted, "Yeah that's it!"

Song magic huh? Okay then let's see how this works. Though he had never seen him, Banda could have spotted the bard from anywhere. He was dressed in strange clothing, and he carried around a flute. He stood in the corner of the bar, where the ground was elevated to look like a stange, and he began to sing,

My heart sings out in happy tunes, To cease all your sorrows. And though my joy, and flowers are here, They'll both be gone by tomorrow.

At that moment the tavern, practically erupted in flowers. They danced around in the air landing on the heads of countless people. "Now that looks fun!" Banda said. Maybe it's just what I need! It's something I could do, and something that I think would be worth doing! I'm going to Istien University!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours after making his decision, Banda had finally arrived at Istien, his horse Streak, slowing down after feeling his rider pull back on the reins. First things first, Banda thought, I have to decide what I'm going to learn, and then I have to register or do whatever I have to do to get into the University Banda kicked at Streak's sides softly telling him to continue slowly.

As he moved forward he could see men, and women running down the path that lead to the campus. Just what's so important? Must be some big event going on today. Though once he had gotten to where everyone was rushing to, he was surprised. The only thing that awaited him were a large bronze gate, and a young couple.

Banda overheard them calling the man Chidori Not a bad name, for a guy I suppose. Who is this guy? The top student of his class? And what's with his friend? Banda noticed the man who was closest to this Chidori fellow. He carried around bottles of what seemed to be wine. If he's got the booze, I got the time!

Just then, the gates opened and an elven female walked through singing with a voice that could have soothed a lion.

Then reality will link

Soon the other men and women followed singing along with it. Must be some sort of ritual I guess, she must be the head mistress, or whatever you call them now. I think I'll ask later though. This music's got a nice beat to it! Banda dismounted Streak, and tied his reins to a tree. "You stay put!" He ordered his horse, and as if understanding neighed.

The Bard
08-01-06, 05:29 AM
Amoroth had been traveling with the group since they had wondered through Corone after a Citadel battle Amoroth had done. They had been possibly one of the most spirited groups he had seen. Buggy had been one of the lively of them all; jokes and music had been the only thing he was settled for making an excellent leader. Amoroth was no different from any of them really, for everyone had the same in common music, fun, and you can’t forget drinking. From Corone to Raiaera Amoroth had himself one hell of a time and was happy to finally come upon the walls of Istien University. Amoroth and eleven other people had walked on the stone streets till coming to the gate and a couple named Chidori and Avakra, they had seemed a cute match together and seemed like the type that never fight or argue. Buggy had made a few comments that made Amoroth laugh with the rest of the group and all had stopped when they heard a voice sing.

Then reality will link

It was a beautiful elven woman that caught Amoroths eye at first site and made him wonder if she was in a relationship, but if not there was only one way to impress her and that was buy singing. Grabbing Buggy’s shoulder and moving him aside Amoroth joked and said

“Lemme show you how a real bard jams” and with a cough Amoroth began.

“In days of old in a kingdom bold, there lived a fearsome dragon.
And the God he was in great distress and the countries spirits flagoned.
Until one day there came a knight, he was handsome, bold, and charming.
And he slew the dragon with his sword with a smile that was so disarming.

With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, a smile that was so disarming. Said the God I wish to know your name, but the knight said do not bother.

For the name of a knight of the realm says he, is the same as any other. Said the God tonight in my daughter's bed you shall take your leisure.
And Turns out the knight did please her and I ensure you I’m no teaser nor is this a fib cause it turns out that daughter is Avakra and the knight is chid the kid!”

After Amoroth was done singing everyone erupted in laughter, music was Amoroths specialty but he could only sing funny ones or normal ones, for he knew nothing to much of love. He doesn’t despise it or looks down upon it with a frown but just in easier words doesn’t find the time for it. But now relaxing at the university time is not a factor.
Scooting close to Damascus (a member of the group who plays the flute) Amoroth had wanted to say something about the girl who had been looking at Amoroth while he was singing.

“Who is she….like do you know her name or anything?” Embarrassed but confident Amoroth asked.

“Hahah! You like her don’t you, well I’m afraid I can’t help you with that, this is my first year here so I wouldn’t know. But on my account I say for you she is defiantly a go getter.” Damascus replied.

“You really think so? I mean I don’t want to rush things, I admit she is cute but what gave you the idea I liked her?” Amoroth said curiously.

“Well for starters you have been looking at her boobs the whole time and secondly you’re blushing.” Damascus laughed and walked ahead to others. Still stunned Amoroth felt his cheeks and realized they were warm and he had chuckled about the boob thing. Looking up Amoroth noticed the crowd was well ahead of him but Amoroth ran to check up with them and yelled to Damascus.

“I WAS NOT!!!...HEY WAIT FOR ME!!!!!”

Of Light and Shadow
08-02-06, 10:15 AM
Though his purposes for being in Istien were far less musically based than most - he was at this very moment devouring a text on magical theory, for he wished simply to understand magic more than he did now - the revelry of the large group could not help but catch his attention as he strolled the halls, book in hand. The singing, the laughing, the drinking. And the group was so very varied culturally. He coul feel nearly every people of Althanas represented from the elven to the divine. Perhaps... perhaps so diverse a group would be accepting of one more? And if not, certainly their reaction could be no less favorable than any he had ever encountered before.

Following the easily pin-pointable sound of the large gathering, and came down a hall and around a corner to simply step into the fringes of the group. Tucking the book away inside his robes, he simply walked alongside them, a small smile placing itself on his lips. Their obvious joy and amusement was simply contagious, and Lianrayel found himself humming along to their tunes and songs.

The group had indeed turned out to be just as varied as he thought it would be. It was from one who's name he gathered was Amoroth and from a very pretty woman which the elven feeling had come from. And the overwhelming sense of divinity was radiating from the one called Chid the Kid and the girl who held his arm almost as if it was a life preserver. The rest of the rag-tag group was mostly human, and in truth it was from them that Lianrayel feared the greatest reprisals. It always seemed that humans were so much less accepting of that which was different from them than the elves and others.

But if reprisal was to come, it had not yet, and Lianrayel saw this as a good sign, simply continuing along with the group, smile broadening with every step. He could not remember when he had heard so much song coming from one area, and it lifted one's spirits to hear it.

Chidori Draconid
08-03-06, 03:48 AM
“Oooh!”
“That was insane!”
“Clever. Clever.”

“Hold on!” Avakra suddenly broke out of her shell as the class reacted to this elf’s lyrical reference to the two of them. The music kept playing, but no one sang as Avakra stepped into the middle of the naturally formed circle. “It’s as if this man attacked us and defeated us. I don’t see it that way, people. He was worshiping us!”

“Because our sex appeal is that epic!” Chidori said with a smile as she returned to him with a high five. A couple of other students made audible objections, but before they could retaliate Corinne intervened.

“We’re singing! We’re singing!” The Istien professor said with an intense smile on her face. She wanted to keep the class on track.

Chidori didn’t say anything as the music continued to play. He simply cracked his knuckles, and a few students began to sound off in excitement. Over the semester the gesture had come to signify that he was confident and ready to perform for the class. They knew that when he did this that he was confident and at his best.

”I am…
That whirlwind at a whim
That tears eagles off their limbs
Having time to write a rhyme
Then recite religious hymns
I tell trekkers where to go when they don’t have a clue
I teach the art of war to everyone including you
You may approach me bearing your arms
But I can perplex you permanently by pushing pyramids out of my palms
You couldn’t handle this, and just for the funnies
I wrapped the pharos in their bandages and had them crying for their mummies
And if you didn’t know, such a flow is considered zealous
But my rhymes would kiss similes so sweetly that metaphors get jealous

The class erupted in cheer. Classmates patted him on the shoulder, and Avakra gave him a kiss on the cheek. He turned to a bashful wreck hanging his head as he blushed almost as badly as Avakra a few minutes earlier. That just went to show how absent minded Chidori really was. Within seconds of getting into the groove of things the young deity had forgotten that his love was here. Had he been looking at her his voice would have been crackly and squeaky, but he had gotten past a great hurdle; singing in her presence. Maybe he could avoid singing for her until he was in situations where he wouldn’t have to face her in particular.

Their performance had attracted a few people from the street. One of which was a horse bound human who was clearly interested in joining. He couldn’t take his eyes off the group of musical students. Corinne waved him near once he disembarked inviting him to join the class, and after a few classmates took a whirl at musical improvisation the class took its show into the gates of Istien.

This band of young bards never made eye contact with a face that didn’t smile as they entered the circular atrium. Their professor greeted the receptionist with a calm nod as she led them into the hallway. The acoustics in this vast corridor were echo ridden as it bounced their catchy tunes off its stone walls and projected their song so that the entire facility could hear them. Here they stepped to the beat on the marble floor since they could even hear that among the variety of instruments. Groups of bopping heads would pop out of the doorways as they passed. That was where a colorful young man joined them from the library. As usual Corinne led them past her lecture hall. Instead they went into the courtyard. Some students pranced around the cylindrical columns in the square colonnade surrounding the green grass, while the more acrobatic of the bunch took to the air. Passing students and professors alike stopped to watch as the hand drums caused them to clap. The chords of the classical guitar, and the strums of the viola and violin carried through their bodies, and the clarinet and piccolo provided a fresh feel to the tune.

By the time the entire class made it onto the emerald grass the surrounding corridors and colonnade were filled with onlookers. There wasn’t a body that had been left still, and when the elven professor called for a stop the class was met with great applause. It felt like an eternity before the ecstatic ovation wore down and Corinne could actually begin her class.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen.” She said with a smile as her students clustered around a couple of columns. “I know we’re in Ost’Dagorlin, but do you know that you just performed an Aglarlin spell? Take a moment and ask yourselves how you feel at this moment. Exhilarated, positive, determined, confident. Take a look at Aglarlin’s mission statement. They deal with the soul. Is your soul not energized? And in energizing the soul, you have indirectly energized your primary source of magic whatever that may be. If you look at our new friend here you will see a more visual effect of your collective spellcasting.”

Corrine pointed to the young man who had come to the university on horseback. His classmates were surprised to see that he was emitting an orange incandescent aura. Onlookers from outside the class still hung around in the colonnade. They had noticed the aura much earlier as opposed to the students who were standing right next to him.

“To further demonstrate the effects I would like for one of you to perform a spell or unearthly ability of Istien origin or otherwise. I can guarantee that it will be twice as strong as it was the last time you performed it, and tomorrow you wont be able to achieve such magnitude.”

streak101
08-03-06, 03:51 PM
As Banda entered the crowd of musicians, and civilians alike, there was one elf that pulled one of the men aside, and began to sing,

“In days of old in a kingdom bold, there lived a fearsome dragon.
And the God he was in great distress and the countries spirits flagoned.
Until one day there came a knight, he was handsome, bold, and charming.
And he slew the dragon with his sword with a smile that was so disarming.

With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, a smile that was so disarming. Said the God I wish to know your name, but the knight said do not bother.

For the name of a knight of the realm says he, is the same as any other. Said the God tonight in my daughter's bed you shall take your leisure.
And Turns out the knight did please her and I ensure you I’m no teaser nor is this a fib cause it turns out that daughter is Avakra and the knight is chid the kid!”

Once he finished singing, everyone in ear shot was laughing, Banda himself was holding his stomach. The elf then had spoke to another man, and blushed. I wonder what that was all about? Probably some girl, that's probably why his face looks like a cherry. Banda gave another short laugh at the thought of the elf with a cherry as a face. "Hold on!" shouted a woman, 'It’s as if this man attacked us and defeated us. I don’t see it that way, people. He was worshiping us!” She's probably that girl at the end of the song, Avakra I think.

Then a man spoke adding to the statement “Because our sex appeal is that epic!” Ah, this must be Chid I'm guessing, they must be in a relationship or something. Avakra, and Chid both gave each other a high-five, but at the statements made by both of them, the musicians began to object. "We're singing! We're singing!" interrupted the woman who had begun the singing in the first place. Chid had begun to crack his knuckles, and everyone started to get excited, What's going on? Does this guy have a special power to do with his knuckles or something?

”I am…
That whirlwind at a whim
That tears eagles off their limbs
Having time to write a rhyme
Then recite religious hymns
I tell trekkers where to go when they don’t have a clue
I teach the art of war to everyone including you
You may approach me bearing your arms
But I can perplex you permanently by pushing pyramids out of my palms
You couldn’t handle this, and just for the funnies
I wrapped the pharos in their bandages and had them crying for their mummies
And if you didn’t know, such a flow is considered zealous
But my rhymes would kiss similes so sweetly that metaphors get jealous"

Everyone cheered, Banda himself joining in, Oh why not? Might as well get acquainted with them now. Banda cheered Chid, and shouted praises, and for an encore which wasn't likely. Soon though, he gained the attention of the elven mistress. She beckoned him with a smile, to join the class as they made their way through the doors of the university complex itself. Alright lady just don't scare the crap out of me later

They walked through the gates, everyone dancing around the columns, and singing in joy. Banda even joined in the merryment dancing with the bards, and humming the vocals. He felt as if his mind had been refreshed, he could let go of all hate, and anger he had in him, and replace them with happiness, and bliss. It was a moment in his life he would never forget. He was having too much fun to notice the wide-eyed faces looking at him in disbelief. This is fun! I should come here more often! As they danced and sang, another young man had joined them, and began to dance along as well.

Not one person in the group had stopped dancing or singing, until the elven woman, who Banda found out was named Corinne, had stopped. Everyone applauded in sheer bliss. It was a fun way of getting somewhere, that was for sure. Once the applauding, and cheering seised, she began her lesson.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen.” A smile on her face as the crowd began to get comfortable, “I know we’re in Ost’Dagorlin, but do you know that you just performed an Aglarlin spell? Take a moment and ask yourselves how you feel at this moment. Exhilarated, positive, determined, confident. Take a look at Aglarlin’s mission statement. They deal with the soul. Is your soul not energized? And in energizing the soul, you have indirectly energized your primary source of magic whatever that may be. If you look at our new friend here you will see a more visual effect of your collective spellcasting.”

Corinne pointed at Banda, Sorry Miss Corinne but I don't know what your- why are they all staring at me? The entire class looked at him as if he had appeared from thin air, Banda looked at his hands, and saw the gleaming orange light surrounding them, "Hey, how come I'm the only one that's glowing?" he said out-loud, it was a good question, no one else seemed to be glowing any color. Banda felt like the odd one out for a awhile, and what Corinne was about to say made him feel a little more out of place.

“To further demonstrate the effects I would like for one of you to perform a spell or unearthly ability of Istien origin or otherwise. I can guarantee that it will be twice as strong as it was the last time you performed it, and tomorrow you wont be able to achieve such magnitude.”

Banda leaned back and watched as the class, save him, started to sing. Man, do I feel out of place! Not for long though. Nope I'm going to learn some magic!

Nymph and Dragon
08-07-06, 10:05 PM
Music flowed through the air of the courtyard like the smell of new flowers in spring, a heady sensation that made Twyla's heartbeat quicken and her legs itch for movement. The hood of her violet cloak was pulled low over her face, hiding her flushed cheeks and bright eyes. Air rushed heavily from between her parted lips, each breath taken deliberately, as if to pull the intoxicating music with them into her lungs.

Cool it, she instructed herself sternly. You're working.

The nymph sat on a stone seat at the edge of the courtyard, hands clutching the edge of the bench so hard that her knuckles were turning white. Her gaze was fixed on the large gathering of musicians at the courtyard's center who had been playing their instruments with skill and gusto. She had to consciously force herself to stay seated, to remain on the outside, to observe the proceedings without interfering. She was supposed to be documenting the happenings of the school, recording facts and making observations that could be added to the written lore of the land; it would certainly not be proper for her to join the subjects of her study in their activities.

But the pounding music was swiftly overriding her common sense.

You're a singer, the smooth voice of the dragon encouraged in her mind. Why don't you join them?

A twinge of distaste distracted Twyla from her rapture. She threw a hate-filled look over her shoulder at the tiny green dragon that lay in the grass behind the bench, its scales glistening in the pale light of the moon.

"Didn't I tell you to stay out of my head?" she said in an icy voice. It was an unfair demand, considering that the Elemental's only means of communication was through teplepathy, but Twyla had little patience for her inescapable companion. Her answer was made more bitter by the knowledge that she would never be able to join the group that vocalized before her. The curse of her race forbade her from singing without the intention of controlling the minds of the listeners. With a small sigh she turned her attention back to the performing students.

The musical concert had stopped, replaced by the soaring voice of a young man who was hidden from the nymph's view by the crowd around him. The respect of the crowd for the singer was obvious, and in Twyla's opinion, merited.

If he was female, he'd make a great Siren. She thought with a smile. In her head she joined his song, twining her voice around his to create a harmony that echoed in her skull with sublime unity.

Stop it! Twyla snapped at herself, embarrassed to find that she had stood and taken a half-step towards the gathering. If you can't stay focused then it's time to leave.

Loath to depart before the end of the performance, the nymph docilely stepped back and seated herself on the bench. One hand returned to its grasp of the seat, but the other settled on her throat, touching a silver medallion that she pulled from beneath her gauzy robe. Eyes peering out from beneath her hood at the crowd that was now listening to the raised voice of their teacher, Twyla set her thoughts on the medallion and began to use its Mindwrite ability to record her thoughts.

Istien University. It appears that the musically-inclined students of the Ost'Dagorlin school keep nocturnal hours, meeting with their instructors and fellow classmates at night as well as during their classes in the daytime for the purpose of impromptu concerts. The students take turns sharing original songs and music, some even making up the lyrics as the song is being sung in a remarkable display of talent and ingenuity . . .

Chidori Draconid
09-04-06, 09:57 PM
The entire class fell silent. Reluctance filled the room just moments after it was filled to the brim with excitement and happiness. Some Aglarlin spell that was. Even Buggy wasn’t willing to step up. This was quite typical of a class of novices, but Chidori had a hard time understanding exactly why even the most outgoing of students were able to show off outside of class even in the midst of their teacher, but the second they were asked to do the same thing they showed lack of enthusiasm. The young deity was usually the exception to this. He would have been more than willing to demonstrate, but he had already taken the floor once and he didn’t want to look like the class suck up, and with Avakra here he was periodically struck with nerves. Both, in his opinion were legitimate excuses. Then something unexpected happened. A young soprano voice with a familiar strength emerged from beside him. It was Avakra, and she was performing Chidori’s Cloudburst.

Discharges flow from my fingers
Break the windows to your soul

A strong and fast crescendo was followed by a loud clap and a blinding flash. It all happened quite fast, almost too fast for any mind or eye to catch. The thick bolt of lighting leading from Avakra’s hand to the orb on Corinne’s staff had been burned into everyone’s retinas as a small clue as the only piece of evidence. It was the only trace of what had transpired. That and Avakra shaking her hand frantically from the shock. Chidori grabbed her hand to comfort it.

“Ladies and gentlemen, give our guest a round of applause.” Corinne said with a smile. Everyone followed suit and clapped. Chidori gave her a smile of admiration, and for the first time Chidori saw her blush in public. This day was a day of firsts. Corinne continued. “Yes, Avakra Ambul here is a very talented singer, but that has nothing to do with her ability to perform an Istien spell. She has never stepped foot on this campus before tonight, and judging from what her love has told us, she hasn’t had any private lessons. Furthermore, had we started class as normal she would never have been able to pull that spell off at proper strength. If she were to perform it tomorrow all she would be able to produce is a miniscule shock.”

That explained why so little happened when she performed earlier in the day. The professor took her wine from Buggy and placed them on the ground beside her. She then began to chant a tune in Raiaeran. It was different from her normal venue of music. This time it was quiet and eerie. Chidori was still learning Raiaeran but he knew enough to pull a few words out of the translation. While it was different it was still likely that Corinne was singing a song of her own. He was certain no ancient song of Raiaera’s mentioned the bitter cold of northern Salvar, and how it toiled with the kings. The words “Ice” and “Freeze” were used frequently. She was performing an ice spell, and soon enough thick limbs of ice wrapped themselves around the wine. A cold mist ran down the shaft like a waterfall slowed by time.

With her attention back on the class the professor smiled. “There is relevance to what I have mentioned. Just keep it all in mind as we follow tonight’s lesson. We will be learning the value of creativity… You!” Corinne pointed to a young man that looked more like a mercenary than a mage. She opened a small songbook and handed it to him. “Please read these words aloud for the class to hear. There’s no need to sing them.”

streak101
09-22-06, 11:03 PM
The room fell silent as everyone expected for someone to sing or perform, but no one stepped up, it seemed as though everyone was bashful when it came to performing in classes, Banda assumed it was probably because of the fact that it counts in class and it's just for fun outside of it. Come on let's hear some singing! Sure enough as if reading Banda's thoughts Avakra, thr young girl included in the man's song earlier began to sing.

Discharges flow from my fingers
Break the windows to your soul

When the singing ended everyone clapped in praise, and then a flash. A bolt of lightning came out from Avakra's hand as it comes from the thunder, and connected with Corinne's staff. That was all Banda, and probably everyone else, could remember as witnessing the spell, Remind me to be careful if I ever have to come across that spell in battle. Banda was correct in thinking this that bolt of lightning could have surely killed an unsuspecting civilian.

Corinne called for a round of applause and once it settled, she explained the phenomenon of such a powerful spell, “Yes, Avakra Ambul here is a very talented singer, but that has nothing to do with her ability to perform an Istien spell. She has never stepped foot on this campus before tonight, and judging from what her love has told us, she hasn’t had any private lessons. Furthermore, had we started class as normal she would never have been able to pull that spell off at proper strength. If she were to perform it tomorrow all she would be able to produce is a miniscule shock.”

That puts my mind at ease then. Unless Chid know's how to do the same thing, and he must be stronger! Hmmm, I'll have to ask him for a citadel match sometime. Corinne then took the wine bottles a man(Banda found out his name was Buggy) was holding. She laid them on the ground and began to sing in a foreign language to Banda, It's probably Raiaeran, seeing as we are in the continent. She finished her song, and as if they grew from the ground, spires of ice twirled around the bottles, Talk about a cool refreshment.

Corinne began to speak again, “There is relevance to what I have mentioned. Just keep it all in mind as we follow tonight’s lesson. We will be learning the value of creativity… You!” Corinne pointed at Banda, "Me?" Corinne handed Banda a small book, “Please read these words aloud for the class to hear. There’s no need to sing them.” Banda wasn't always much of a talker, but how he could sing. As a boy that's all he could do to entertain himself. "Mistress Corinne I hope you don't mind but I think I might just sing them." Clearing his throat, Banda prayed his singing voice had not left him.

My anger, hate, and rage,
All this I have stored in a cage!
My scary past will haunt you!
My secret past will taunt you!
It will make your skin graze!
Now turn my free hand ablaze!

Sure enough when Banda completed his song, his hand became shrouded in flames, at first he flinched, but when he realized that it did not burn he stared at it excitingly, I did it! I actually did it! He didn't care whether anyone was clapping or laughing. He knew he sang it in a upbeat way, and it was ironic but he was to enthralled with his hand to care!

Nymph and Dragon
09-23-06, 06:18 PM
Twyla felt a muscle in her cheek pull down the side of her mouth as a bright shock of light flared in the middle of the gathering. At first she was afraid that she had imagined the explosion, but the burst of applause and talk of power that followed told her that the explosion had been real.

The nymph's eyebrows followed the direction of her mouth as the crowd fell silent for another performance, this time from the woman who's staff had been a part of the last display. Before long a wisp of smoke rose from the ground and a twinge of wonder went through the nymph's head.

They use songs . . . for magic? The intrensic power of song was not unknown to her, but she had never considered that there might be humans who were able to use their voices for something other than mere entertainment and communication.

Creative magic, the Elemental supplied. They craft elements and energy with their words.

Twyla pondered this as a lilting tune poured from the lips of a boy who wore armor and a sword. She jumped with surprise when his hand burst into flame, but his delighted expression told her that it was intentional.

The power is in their words?

Partially. The voice does add some strength, I believe. The dragon had squirmed closer and now now lay in the grass right beside her bench, head lifted and glowing eyes focused on the group.

Then their songs are probably less powerful than those of my race, she thought with satisfaction. The words of the song were unimportant when employing Siren's Call, it was only the sound of her voice that contained the irresistable power.

I'm not sure, it replied hesitantly. Wise lyrics can have very great potential.

Twyla rolled her eyes, sending the dragon a frown. Don't be stupid. Are you saying that if I were to stand up and sing one of their silly songs, I could cast a human spell?

The Elemental's shoulders moved in a close imitation of a shrug. Who knows what could happen?

For one long moment, Twyla seriously considered joining the group and trying her hand at the human magic. Think of the power I could wield if I had both my voice and their words . . .

Then her sense of reason reasserted itself and irrefutably crushed the urge to stand. She wasn't a singer anymore, she didn't need power, and she was supposed to be working!

"Hideous serpent," she muttered at the Elemental. You're like a demon on my shoulder, trying to tempt me into getting myself killed so you can be free. Just remember, snake, that if I die, you die too.

The weight of blame comfortably alleviated, the nymph turned her eyes back to the singers and waited for the next performance, ignoring the fire of longing that was beginning to stir in her chest.

The Bard
12-13-06, 08:49 PM
Amoroth soon realized it was his turn to go again. Clearing his throat and thinking to himself, that he didn’t want to do something flashy but to show off with skill. Standing up in the already pre-formed circle he began with a jazzy beat and saying it in a fast motion..

Trust me I say this justly
I went from musty to musky and yall cant mush me
I warn yall cornballs I hush puppies
The swans in the pond call my duck ugly
But now they hug me because its lovely
They love the aroma of a roamer of the world
Got the shakers and the and the players and the girls
That I leave breathless cause It takes half of your
bubble bath to match my freshness
But lets get to the next list and don’t mind my cough
And so to sign off, this beat I rhyme off
Is from the Chidori cause hes like a Mind Boss
You feel it in the air, its such a fine force
But you don't hear me though, just like our minds talk
That's cause my visions getting bluer, me and my friends toura
Im on my pimp, my temperature is tempura
And my rhymes is hotter than a female Centaura

Whipping the sweat from his forehead he bowed and laughed at what he said because he ended mostly with an ‘ura’ sound.
“So how was that for an elven bard…different I bet but that’s what we are here for right? To sing in a different style.” he said looking at all the others who were clapping.
“Yes” said the elven teacher, “We are hear to express our different styles and flows to produce a new type of music” she said rubbing Amoroths shoulder. Blushing he shook his head yes and walked over towards Damascus.
“That was pretty impressive you will go a long way with you music my friend, and hopefully a longer way with the Teacher”. Damascus implied while nudging Amoroth.
“Haha you are such a sick minded Human, but a good friend as well” Amoroth said smiling at Damascus then laughing with each other.