PDA

View Full Version : Hostage rescue (closed to Cyrus the virus)

Darkarcher
08-01-06, 11:58 PM
((Closed to cyrus the virus))

Shadow was walking from the citadel his recent trial run there from his room at the inn had token longer then he had expected. He was walking back admiring the scenery when he let himself drift off into a deep dark sleep. He dreamt he was falling from a very high cliff he couldn’t see the bottom when a few things got his attention on his way down. There was a something in the cliff showing off his past. One was his fight between him and his mother’s assailants and another was what appeared to be him fighting 4 gargoyles after a while he fell on his sword.

“Ahh! That hurts!” Shadow screamed as he woke with a start. He looked around and saw he was on the ground face first into it also. He sat up and brushed himself off he was might thirsty and hungry at the same time. There was nothing he could do about his hunger but he could fix his thirst. He made a flick of his wrist and held his palm up and started concentrating on nice cool wet thoughts of his. Within a few moments shadow felt the cold wetness of a water ball pressing against the palm of his hands, he brought it to his mouth a drink the water.

“Ahh! Much better.” He said as he got up and started walking towards his inn when his elf ears picked up scampering footsteps behind him. He figured it was nothing it could be peasants going home after watching the battle or it could be animals, or worse. As he came around the last bend to his inn he noticed a punch of tree’s that would be perfect to find out what really was behind him.

Shadow jumped into the tree’s in a hurry and turned around waiting to see what would pass him. He was so occupied what was in front of him he forgot to count how many people were there. When they started talking.

“What!? Where did he go?” The smallest of the men explained.

“He was just here a minute a go!” The medium sized man replied

Just as Shadow was about to jump out and ambush the two men in front if him there was a crack of a branch behind him. He turned around to see a swift kick hit him in the shoulder and send him sprawling out of the trees right in front of the other two men.

“Well well well look what we have here if it isn’t Shadow. You know we have been following you for quite a ways we were told you will be a handful for even us three.” The smallest man explained.

As Shadow got up and brushed himself off and cringing in pain from the kick to his shoulder he looked over to see a garguation size man protrude from the forest and exclaiming “I Found him!, I Found him!, I Found him!.”

“Well I guess there’s only one way to find out right?” Shadow said as he took his staff off from his back and held it out in front of him. “Bring it!”

Shadow watched as the biggest man charged in towards him first. He was easy to dodge but hurting him was another story even with all of Shadows demon strength coming down on top of the mans head with the staff it just shattered and made the man stagger and fall flat on his rear end. The other two men just looked at shadow and rushed him at the same time taking out their swords. One man was bringing it down for a headshot and one was going for a clean sideswipe. Shadow jumped back but just narrowly enough the sword skinned his cloak shredding it in the two areas the swords sliced exposing his steel platemail underneath. Shadow sighed and took off his cloak fully exposing his steel platemail and withdrawing his Plynt long sword. He kicked off of the ground when his toes reached it and used the air to propel him forwards towards the two guys with the swords at their sides. He came down for a clean shot straight down the middle of both of them for more so a scare tactic when he stopped cause of something grabbing his ankle.

“Hey! What the?” He said as he was dragged backwards away from his two attackers. Shadow looked back and saw that the big man was back up and coming down for a clear punch on him. “Ohh! Crud!”

Shadow was hit with the full force of a man twice his size and when he hit the ground he was out like a light.

Cyrus the virus
08-02-06, 11:06 PM
It was on a late night near the edge of Radasanth when the wind blew suddenly strong, setting the leaves to dancing, adding yet another soothing sound to the forest. Corone was in a state of calm as the darkness took over, silencing the sounds that the day always provided; human and animal alike were no longer loud and obnoxious. It was soothing.

The wind picked up even more suddenly, a slight introduction to Luc's appearance, as a gust picked up in the sky and swerved about like a small typhoon. The wind gained substance and took on a light green color, and suddenly the wind was gone, Luc floating in its place. The mage took in a deep breath as he got his bearings, the late air tasted fresh in his mouth.

He'd ended up in Corone, but a bit of a ways from where he'd wanted to end up. The Inn was some way from here, though the distance would be easy to cover by flight. Setting off, the wind his legs as he soared through the sky, Luc mumbled to himself. The day had been uneventful as he'd searched for information on Hex Magic. No matter who he asked, it all came back to Seth. He was the only person he could talk to, and Luc dreaded showing any kind of interest in the man.

It was by luck alone that Luc's eyes were cast downward as he flew overhead, for he witnessed two men tailing another. The man leading hid in the woods, then flew out on his backside. The mage stopped and watched for a moment as a massive man came out from the treeline at the edge of the pathway below. The man being attacked burst toward the smaller two, but the largest of the men, likely thieves, Luc thought, clouted him in the face to send him down.

Luckily enough for the man, Luc was in somewhat of a heroic mood. He dropped down like a falcon, swooping up just in time to slow his descent and land on his feet only a bit of a ways behind the small and medium-sized men. "Greetings," said the mage, drawing the surprised attention from the two thieves.

"Ay!" Called the small one. "This little one's been tailin' us while we was tailin' him! Haw haw!" Luc was likely a bit bigger than him, really, but when you had big allies on your side, everyone probably looked a little smaller.

"Oh no, I just swooped down from the sky."

There was a pause from the three men, for the massive one had brought his attention to Luc as well, and then they all had a great laugh. Luc stood and endured the laughter until it eventually died, a smirk on his face that might have betrayed the truth, had the men been smart enough.

"Let's wipe dat grin off 'is face!" Suggested the medium-sized man. The others seemed to agree, as they came at him, likely to knock him out the way they'd done with the other.

Luc fell into a small focus stance, his eyes closed and his hands held forward, and a great gust of wind built up in the space behind him. Just when the small man and the medium one came close, Luc released the wind, in a gust so powerful it tore them from the ground and sent the two men flying awkwardly backward. They were unconscious when they landed, having bounced many times even after they passed the massive one.

The thief that remained looked at the small man, who had seemed to create such power with little effort, turned, and ran. Luc smirked and approached the fallen man, who had been knocked down by the huge one. But this man was large as well, inhumanly so, and until now the mage hadn't noticed. In face, from so close, he looked rather familiar...

"Shadow?!" Exclaimed a surprised Luc, who fell to his knees to try and revive the man.

Darkarcher
08-03-06, 12:18 AM
The last thing Shadow remembered was a huge garguation size man punching him in the fast sending him to the floor. Next was someone trying to revive shadow and calling out his name.

“Shadow!?” He heard come from a very familiar voice that he knew all too well.

“Luc what are you doing here I thought you went on in search of something what was it again?” Shadow started saying slowly and painfully as he glanced down and saw his mother’s necklace on Luc’s belt. “Luc do you remember the necklace I gave you the last time we departed from that doctors little hut?”

Shadow remembered the hut all too well he was in there for too long not to remember it. He thought it would be nice to go to a nearby tavern and get a few drinks and catch up on what each other has been doing, but today was not the day for that. He heard the movement of bodies behind and turned to see the garguation size man grab his other two comrades and run off towards the castle.

“Luc do you have nay idea what those three could possibly do at the castle in their present state?” he mumbled as he got up and sheathed his sword and walked over to his cloak and put it on. Luc hadn’t changed a bit since Shadow had seen him last at it was actually quite soothing to see him again after the time they were apart. Shadow wasn’t one for talk he was a doer and instantly invited Luc back to the inn for something to eat and to rest.

Cyrus the virus
08-03-06, 12:34 AM
Luc could scarce believe his eyes. This was the same man he had saved from drowning not so long ago, Shadow. Together they had journeyed to a temple deep in the Concordia forest, where the huge man had entered alone and reappeared with new armor and a sword. The mage remembered him describing how he'd spoken with his father, who had died long ago.

He had to chuckle, this was just too coincidental. "I save you again, Shadow. My plans are on hold for now, to answer your question. Certain... Circumstances came up."

The wind rippled through the trees again, sending leaves falling about them with the cool breeze. Luc smiled as Shadow mentioned the necklace dangling from his belt. His emerald eyes looked at it for a moment, but he did not respond to his friend. The necklace signified their bond. However brief their encounter had been back between Pollock and Radasanth, Luc had something in common with the man he did not share with anyone else. They'd both struggled to control their magic. Luc had evolved into a great mage, perhaps Shadow could too.

"As for them," he replied, "I don't think those two will be doing anything tonight. I hurt them pretty bad, though the big one ran before I had a chance to do anything." He listened closely again, then responded to Shadow's suggestion for food. "I could use a meal," he said with a laugh.

They set off toward Radasanth, not far to the West.

Within the Inn, Luc sat at an unoccupied table that had two seats. "Did you find a wizard to help you?" He asked, calling attention to the advice he'd given Shadow upon his departure when they'd separated before. "Surely five hundred gold was enough to hire an able spellcaster to help you control your magic."

Darkarcher
08-03-06, 01:16 AM
Shadow and Luc walked back to the inn and when Luc sat down at a two-man table Shadow went up and get them two drinks of whatever was the cheapest there. Shadow went and sat down at the table and passed Luc his drink.

“Unless you have a strong stomach there my friend I wouldn’t drink that.” He said as he drank his whole entire drink and then burped very masculine and then apologized for burping. “Luc I know you saved my life again and I have nothing to repay you this time and to answer your question I haven’t searched out a spell caster to help me. You see I haven’t really had time to go out and take your advice. You had a good 2-3 weeks head start of me and when I got out of the hospital I started battling at the citadel, or at least trying to get in.”

“You see Luc I appreciate what u did for me and when u semi taught me how to make fireballs I remembered how to control my magic and I have even started thinking of new moves I can use. But I would like to see how well you have advanced I’m sure u have advanced pretty far.” He continued “Well Luc how about your adventures what ones are new and exciting that you can tell me about right now and what brings you out here to save me.”

Cyrus the virus
08-03-06, 02:00 AM
Luc took the mug of ale with a hint of a smile. "No need to fear for me," he said, taking a deep sip of the stuff. The mage had enjoyed a thousand nights in the Silver Pub with this very drink, and had developed a light tolerance to it. He'd even come to appreciate the taste.

He mumbled as the man spoke. Luc was disappointed he had not hired a wizard to help him, yet had gained some semblance of control over his powers. Where, then, had the mage's hard-earned gold had gone? He took another sip of his ale, not wanting to down the entire thing and waste the brew as Shadow had done.

"Saving you was a happy coincidence," Luc answered honestly when Shadow had finished. "Thankfully I came along when I did. You're always thinking up new ways to get yourself in trouble, it seems."

"As for me," he said, taking a moment to think it over while he took another sip of his drink. "I am always advancing in my study of magic. But I haven't done anything of interest in these past weeks. I met up with some old friends, and failed to make any impact in the Cell, that silly tournament held recently. I guess I just wasn't motivated enough to plow through the feeble and make a mark on the audience."

"I really was just on my way here," he said. "To sleep. Boredom makes me tired."

With that, a final sip of his ale emptied the goblet. A waitress, the only one working, was stopped by the youthful man and he whispered something in her ear. Turning back to Shadow, Luc flashed a quick smile. "Two more ale and some dinner. Meat and potatoes, a simple dish. So why don't you tell me about things in the meantime? How did you gain this... Control over your magic? Have your new sword and armor fared you well, friend?"

Darkarcher
08-04-06, 12:39 AM
Shadow sat there listening to Luc explaining everything, how rescuing him was pure coincidence, and he was actually coming to this inn to rest. But when Luc asked him how he had controlled his magic once again he froze he personally had no idea how he did get control back.

“Well Luc to tell you the truth I have no idea how I got control back. I just woke up one morning in the doctor’s office it was still dark so I wanted a candle lit and when I thought bout it the candle just lit. I was just as amazed as anyone would be but hey I’m not complaining I can use all my magic once again as if nothing ever happened.” Shadow explained as the waitress came over and placed the food on the table in front of Luc and Shadow. “Well Luc I say we eat and then go to my suite and catch up on old times up there.”

He grabbed his broken staff that was at the ground by his chair and placed it on the table in front of him. “I guess I will need to replace that, that guy must have one strong head.”

Shadow started digging in and eating his food when he stopped and looked up at Luc. “Luc would it be all right if you taught me a few tricks with my magic?”

He waited only a few seconds as he dug into his food in front of him halfly eating with manors and the other half eating like a pig.

Cyrus the virus
08-04-06, 01:12 AM
The food arrived in the middle of Shadow's response, a rather quick delivery, Luc thought. Then again, the Inn was dead at this time of the night, so there was noone else to attend to but the two friends. The meat was steaming, glistening in the dim light of the fireplace, and mounds of potatoes took up a quarter of the plate before him. Apparently there had been many leftovers today.

He tore into the food in a way unlike his ally's, eating quickly, but with some sense of manners. The meat was thick and hard to chew, but the price was right. The potatoes were piping hot and were very thick. The meal was typical of a pub, and Luc couldn't complain. He could never get used to the finer foods in Raiaera, and the tentative, careful way the elves ate. He was not undignified, but food was food, and he didn't care how it was eaten.

"Fortunate," he mumbled as Shadow recounted his story. Luc had spent years mastering his magic, yet this man had been lucky enough to simply wake up with control. The world was so greatly unfair.

Shadow's next question stopped his feast dead. Luc's eyes slowly drifted up from his food as he took a measure of the man's face. Was he serious? Evidently, by the expression Shadow wore on his face, he was.

"I gave you my money for a reason," he said rather sharply. "It was so you could hire someone to teach you because I can't. Do not ask me again."

With that, he went back to his food. They'd been over this before, and having to explain himself again had irked the mage. He took a bite from the meat. Perhaps handing his gold over so generously had been a mistake.

Darkarcher
08-04-06, 01:34 AM
Shadow remembered all too well the last time he had asked Luc for magic help it hadn’t gone too far just as this one had gone. “Sorry Luc I just thought I might have had better luck with you knowing I have full control of my magic.”

Shadow sat down and started eating his meat; it was nice tough meat perfect for Munching down on when you’re hungry. The meat didn’t last Shadow long as he just devoured it trying to fulfill his stomach. Just before he started on the potatoes he looked up at Luc again to see him eating his food.

“Luc that necklace I gave you is my mother’s necklace and I told you that she was gave that too me just before she was dragged off and killed. But umm would you like to help me exact revenge on her murderers?” Shadow asked as he looked down at his food and started playing with it. “I must tell you that if you come with me you will be putting your life in grave danger seeing as we are going up against demons.”

Shadow punched a hole in a potato and mashed it tell he ate it and then looked up at Luc and started feeling sad as if he was about to cry about his mother.

Cyrus the virus
08-04-06, 01:51 AM
Luc had once been a teacher, a rather miserable, annoyed one. Vara Moire University and his stint as a professor there had taught the mage a few things about himself, the most important of which was that he was intolerable. It wasn't something he abhored about himself, but something he'd grown to accept. The man would have few friends in his life, and he could deal with that just fine. He would never teach again, however, not in the way he had done then.

Shadow brought up revenge. The though made the mage chuckle. He, too, sought revenge, though he would never relay to his ally the reason why he wanted it. That was the difference between them, he supposed. Shadow could speak of such things, he could not.

"I'm not a skilled avenger," he said plainly, and those words were all he needed to speak to express just how he felt about the plea.

Before the two could even finish their food, the door to the Inn burst open loudly, calling Luc's undivided attention to a man with an arrow in his shoulder and a deep gash in his leg. He was severely wounded and clearly exhausted. "The castle... It's overrun!"

It was all Luc needed to rise up from his chair and run for the door, a single gold piece dropped neatly on the table to pay for their food and drink. This matter was more important than any talk of vengeance.

Darkarcher
08-11-06, 11:55 PM
"Why does everything interesting happen when i'm eating" Shadow sighed as he got up and stuffed his mouth full of Potatoes and ran out after Luc. The scenery of corone here looked off it wasn't its normally peacefull looking place, it looked battle worn and ugly on this particular night.

Shadow had a wierd feeling he was being watched and chased from behind so he swallowed a tiny bit of his potatoes and turned around only to be punched in the side of the mouth from a bandit. this punch sent all of shadow's potatoes flying all over the floor.

"You! Idiot! you made me spit out my food how dare you make me ruin my food."Shadow screamed as he looked at the bandit who was looking confused. Shadow didnt unsheath his sword but instead punched the bandit right in the gut and then kneed him in the face to render this bandit unconcious.

"Luc, I say we go clear out this infestation. what about you?" Shadow said as he sprinted past Luc and on towards the castle when a couple of bandits jumped down ontop of shadow and started beating on him. He was use to this beating his father had beat him when he was little and it hurt alot more. shadow got up and threw all the bandits off of him very cooly which would of made any kids that were watching envious of his strength and high pain tolerance.

Cyrus the virus
08-12-06, 06:07 AM
Radasanth had become something of a madhouse, crawling with bandits and human vermin of the dirtiest kind. Luc couldn't believe that it had all happened so suddenly, quietly enough that neither of them had heard the commotion until they were told of it.

"Fuck," he cursed, his emerald eyes doing a dance as he observed the city. The night was dark, but even against the blackness he could see the movements of bandits.

Shadow made a ludicrous suggestion that they, alone, rid the city of the thieves. Before Luc even had a chance to debunk the idea, the big man was off, lumbering into a sprung trap. The mage was about to rescue him when the bandits were simply thrown from the man's back. Luc gaped in wonder as Shadow seemed to have shown no effort.

"Someone's strong," he said cooly as he walked on by. "Add some strength of mind and you could be a formidable man, Shadow."

Luc approached the castle, not quite taking his time but not rushing either. He paused every so often to deal with a bandit, usually summoning a strong gust of wind to blow the attacker harmlessly aside. These were ordinary, run-of-the-mill thieves, but Luc couldn't believe the sheer number of them that there seemed to be. It was as if a congregation of bandits with delusions of grandeur got together, deciding to loot the town all at once in order to elude the guards.

The mage stopped when he reached the large doorway into the grey-bricked castle. No guards were at the entrance, though they usually were, leading Luc to believe that the castle had been infiltrated.

"This is bad. I think all we can do it enter and try to protect those inside. For all we know, this isn't just banditry, and the whole thing is orchestrated to provide someone cover while they assassinate the royalty."

Darkarcher
08-15-06, 01:19 AM
Shadow just put a big smug grin on his face to Luc’s comment. He stayed a bit back from Luc trying to keep his distance so not to get in the mage’s way. Shadow drew his sword as he approached an intersection in the streets of corone, if he wanted to ambush someone it would be here. His hand was just itching with anticipation to slash at someone with all his might. Unfortunately he didn’t get this chance he walked through this intersection without even a slight noise being made by anyone but him and Luc. When shadow arrived at the castle he heard several whispering voices coming from everywhere and anywhere.

“Hey, Luc don’t you think that this being so quiet and empty is getting a little suspicious?” He said as he looked back and saw all the others from the inn coming out in their armor and weapons to help defend the city. “Well would you look at that backup.”

Shadow turned around to Luc to see at least a dozen bandits come bursting through the doors of the castle and when he turned around to look at this backup they were engaged in combat with bandits of their own. Bandits were spilling out of everywhere at this point jumping over barrels and wagons alike.

“Umm! Luc I think we have a problem here!” Shadow screamed as he started to focus his magic into his hand incase he needed to shoot something to help him out.

Cyrus the virus
08-15-06, 11:32 AM
"I agree," Luc replied to Shadow's suspicions. It was too quiet, suddenly. "Only a moment ago, I was hearing fighting everywhere. Now, it's as if it's all stopped."

That's when the bandits revealed themselves. From the castle doors, no less, twelve of them revealed themselves and began a quick approach. "What are they doing in the castle?" He asked aloud, though the mage didn't really expect a reply from his friend and ally.

Before the bandits got close, Luc extended one of his hands to point at Shadow. Casting Stoneskin, the massive man was covered in a very thin, vague green light that was difficult to see. The barrier would absorb three strikes of any kind, whether it was a thrown pebble hitting it or a sword slash, before dissolving completely. It was a perfect failsafe, a spell Luc was enormously proud of. To cast it on Shadow before himself was a testament to their bond.

Unfortunately, he could not cast it again. The bandits were too close now for him to risk another spell. Instead, Luc knelt low and threw his hands outward, a powerful gust of wind blowing forward to knock a few of the bandits backward and away from him. Around those three bandits, a pair of others came around the gust to strike at Luc's flanks. He jumped back quickly, drawing the Flame Sword of Slykrit and thrusting it forward at one of the bandits.

The skilled fighter jumped back himself, avoiding the thrust by a wide margin and grinning in response. Before he could move again, though, a stream of flames exploded from the blade of the weapon, reaching forward to strike the bandit, lift him from his feet, and carry him over the side of the nearby drawbridge. A splash later, the fire was extinguished, but Luc did not think he needed to worry about the bandit again.

Unfortunately, during this time, the other flanking bandit had made his way behind Luc, and was lifting his dagger to strike down into the mage's back. Luc was focused on the three other bandits that had come at him, whom were rising from his wind attack. He was none the wiser about the bandit behind him.

Darkarcher
09-14-06, 08:26 PM
Shadow saw these bandits rush out of the castle and as he turned around he saw several bandits come from behind.

“Uh, Luc umm we are being surrounded.” He said as he felt a sudden rush of dry wind surround him and then he himself felt dry as rock. The Bandits were a bit too close for Shadow’s comfort so he drew his sword that he always used for close encounters. While drawing his sword he tore off his cloak and revealed his steel platemail, which made him look more menacing then before. He held his sword right in the middle of his body as he focused on the charging bandits.

Within seconds the bandits were moving into attack position and converging on Shadow. The bandits were in the easiest position for Shadow to block. He took his sword brought it to one side and did a clear rainbow slice and cut the four of them into giblets on the ground. Shadow smirked and turned around to see how Luc was doing when he saw a single bandit going for a slice into Luc’s back. He had no time to think all he could think of is a wound on me would hurt less then a wound on him.

Shadow stuck his hand out in front of the blade coming down for Luc’s back. He felt only a tap in the palm of his hand and as Shadow turned to look at wear the dagger was going it had broke off of the hilt and fell off his hand tapping Luc’s back and hitting the ground in front of him. Shadow kind of guessed what was going on Luc had cast some spell on him and made him impermeable to attacks. Before Shadow even thought of saying or thinking anything else he remembered the bandit that had tried to kill his friend and this sparked some of the greatest anger Shadow had ever felt. He aimed a finger at the bandit and screamed pretty loud “How dare you attack an armed man from behind you have no honor my friend!” that was all and Shadow concentrated on killing the bandit. Before he knew it a big ball emerged at his fingertips and jettisoned its way towards the bandit hitting him in the chest sending him flying back through a brick wall.

This had drained a bit out of Shadow and made him go down to a knee as several bandits was coming at him from dark alley ways. Damn man I can’t take a break. Shadow got up and decided he would fight to the end for this beautiful and wonderful place and maybe just maybe he would get a statue in his honor.

Cyrus the virus
09-19-06, 02:48 PM
Luc was taken by surprise when Shadow ran to him, reaching out. He heard a telltale sound he was used to hearing, and looked back to see that Shadow had blocked a strike at his back. The huge man delivered a great fireball into the bandit's chest, slaying the thief easily. Luc couldn't believe the man possessed such strength since their last encounter, considering it hadn't been so long ago.

The mage looked forward, witnessing the three bandits ahead of him stagger to a stop, look to each other, then run back toward the castle behind them. They retreated behind the gates and rushed to close them.

"Come on!" Luc demanded, not bothering to thank Shadow for saving him.

Luc lifted from the ground, soaring much faster than he could run, closing the distance between the bridge and the massive wooden doors of the castle. He still couldn't believe how silent and how quick the bandits had been in staging their attack. It was unbelievable.

Despite how fast he was moving, Luc couldn't make it to the doors before they would close. He knew this. The mage dropped down to land on his feet, taking a stand near the end of the bridge that connected the city path to the castle. He threw his hands forward, summoning as much strength as he could, and a great funnel of wind appeared before him, tearing through the air like an arrow. The wind struck against the twin doors, which had almost closed completely.

"Shadow! Get in there! I'll catch up to you later!"

Luc pulled himself low and created even more wind to go with the funnel, which barely held the doors ajar. He could find another way inside, he knew, but this was Shadow's only chance.