PDA

View Full Version : Bug Hunt

Revenant
08-25-10, 06:51 PM
Since my job in Sei's band of merry men is supposedly monster killing, I want to kill a monster damnit!

I'm looking for one or two people (who will see the damned thread through) to help rid an Akashiman seaside village from an Oni-spawned Giant Bug and the Summoner who bound it.

I post fairly regularly and want people who will do the same, though breaks of a couple of days here and there for real life issues are a possibility and are understandable. Still, please don't hop in if you can't commit as your character will meet an untimely in thread demise. *squish*

Anyone want in?

black knight
08-25-10, 06:55 PM
Can you put my name down on the list? I'm pretty active, but not with this account so sure. I can use the action.

Revenant
08-25-10, 06:59 PM
Would you be using this account? Otherwise, I have no problem putting your name down.

black knight
08-25-10, 07:01 PM
If you like it, sure. I can use it to give him the experience.

Revenant
08-25-10, 07:07 PM
I don't mind if you use another, I just wanted to know which specifically you planned on using.

black knight
08-25-10, 07:10 PM
Probably this one then. I've got one too many with my other account. I need to lose heat on him as it is.

Revenant
08-25-10, 07:11 PM
Fair enough.

Any more takers?

Revenant
08-27-10, 12:44 AM
I figure it might be good to lay down my plan.

Everyone gets a post to arrive in town and then its right to monster time. No need to drag this out. I have six NPCs that form the Ixian Knights monster hunting squad that are available for use. You can wound them if necessary, but no killing them. They aren't anything super and are mainly intended to harry the monster.

The monster itself is a house sized creature that is a cross between a spider and a centipede. It's shell is hard as steel and it can spit acidic webbing. Good times.

The monster is controlled by an oni-summoner from Akashima. He's a competent magic user and killing him before stopping the creature will just send it on a mindless rampage. Attached to the summoner by a length of chain is an Akashiman warrior whose life force is being used to fuel the creature's power. The man is innocent, so killing him isn't a pleasant thing for good characters, but doing so will weaken the oni, making it slow down and making its shell brittle.

I'm going to start the thread this weekend or early next week, even if only Black Knight is joining in. Anyone who doesn't post within a week without sending me some reason why will be squished.

Nightstalker
08-27-10, 10:15 AM
Nightstalker lives in Akashima, training in a hidden Pagoda somewhere in the Nirayama mountains. A monster attacking his people concerns him greatly, and would be something he would take steps to stop. It would be something his sensei would take steps to stop.

I too wish to join in on this.

Revenant
08-27-10, 05:28 PM
Sure thing.

Nightstalker, Black Knight, anyone else?

black knight
08-27-10, 05:33 PM
Well it's obvious that no one else wants the title 'bug killer' or just is not interested. I'm game. I'm in no rush.

Revenant
08-27-10, 05:44 PM
Hah. Your reassurance warms my cold, black heart.

Still, even with no one else we'll do this.

black knight
08-27-10, 05:51 PM
As spoken by too many people in the world of reality and gaming ''Let's get this show on the road''

Nightstalker
08-27-10, 06:13 PM
Or, as Mills Lane in Celebrity Deathnatch would say, Let's Get it on!

black knight
08-27-10, 06:18 PM
Or, as Mills Lane in Celebrity Deathnatch would say, Let's Get it on!

Gah. Now I miss that show. Thanks Night. I'm gonna find a way to watch all the episodes one day.

Hysteria
08-27-10, 08:20 PM
I'd be interested in joining if your still looking for people.

Revenant
08-27-10, 08:57 PM
Sure thing H.

Revenant
09-03-10, 11:16 AM
Thread Up (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=172264#post172264)

Sorry for the slight delay but we're off and running.

Revenant
09-09-10, 09:20 AM
Knight, we arrived on a wagon via land not on a boat. If you still wanted to arrive with my group then edit that in, otherwise edit it that you arrived via boat and made contact with us there.

black knight
09-09-10, 09:38 AM
Sorry about that. I must have read the entry post wrong. Sorry. I'll fix it in.

Revenant
09-09-10, 10:02 AM
Thanks. The oni has arrived.

Here are my monster hunters, use them as you would though you can't kill them. All of them wield heavy spears and crossbows, which shouldn't do much against Oni no Kosaku until we weaken him. Lucky shots might hit a vulnerable spot between the armored plates, but none of them are good enough to do so reliably. The names of the monster hunters are: Jerrick (sergeant), Heigei (the only Akashiman, doesn't like Nightstalker as he is a ninja), Lorelai (the only woman), Kyron, Rawls, and Sergei.

The summoner's mask gives him greater control over the oni, removing it will weaken the creature. His staff enhances his magic capabilities, removing it weakens his abilities to attack/defend. He also has an obsidian knife that hasn't been brought into play that he can use to slash himself to super-charge an attack. Doing so will obviously wound him, so should be used lightly.

Oni no Kosaku can spit acidic globs but otherwise just stops around like a big smashy thing.

Severing the slave's tie to the summoner weakens the summoner's ability to control the oni, and killing him greatly weakens the oni. He's an innocent though, if that sort if thing bothers you.

Revenant
09-16-10, 03:29 PM
Next round of posting is up. Black Knight, you've been squished. PM me with any questions, concerns.

Hysteria
09-18-10, 06:35 AM
Just to double check, we are in the town now arnt we? I'm going to post that we are, in a big street (or at least on the edge of town...). I know we originally weren't, but then kinda ended up in it.

If its a problem let me know and I will change it. I kinda like the idea of the Oni smashing through buildings though...

Revenant
09-20-10, 09:12 PM
Updates are great, but work has me on a business this this week and my interweb access is limited. I might not be able to post until Sat. This is my warning so that I don't have to splat myself.

Revenant
09-21-10, 08:52 AM
I was wrong apparently and managed to get a post up.

Hysteria
09-23-10, 06:51 AM
Just to quickly summarise my post:

Talen disarms, sets fire too and cages the summoner.
The summoner puts out the fire, but is burnt (mostly his hands), then makes the oni turn and spray acid at Talen and free's and re-arms himself.
The summoner then jumps ontop of the Oni to better squish us like ants.

On a side note, can no one destroy the summoner's mask? I'd like to claim it as a prize of the thread ^.^

I was wondering if you guys would be interested in drawing the battle through the town? Maybe having us running along the streets (or across building tops) as it smashes everything? Just some thoughts ;)

Revenant
09-23-10, 08:00 AM
Good work H. I guess I should post up a summary of what happened in my last post as well.

The death of the prisoner has slowed the oni down and has weakened the creature’s armor, allowing the monster hunters’ crossbows to damage it. Right now it has only taken minor damage from the NPCs, akin to flesh wounds, which annoy and hurt the creature and though they haven’t stopped the creature, they will slowly sap its strength. William then broke one of the creature’s legs, sending it crashing into a nearby building. The creature responded by spraying acidic webbing over the area around him.

I have no problem with the oni-riding summoner drawing us on a rampage through the city. Nightstalker, if you want to start it go ahead. Also, the NPCs should be pinned down by the debris from the falling building and the acidic webbing and will be unavailable for another round of posting or so. Nighstalker can put that in as well, or I will do so on my next post.

Also, damn you H! I wanted to keep the mask as well. :p Perhaps it gets broken and we can each take half that we can rebuild in the Bazaar or somesuch.

Nightstalker
09-23-10, 08:38 AM
Don't forget, I also attacked its legs and scored a deep gash in its side. As for taking us on a smashing rampaging tour of the city, no problem, I'll take us to one spot, and pin the NPC's down in the process.

Since you both want the mask, perhaps a lucky strike from one of my shuriken can assist with breaking it in half.

Hysteria
09-23-10, 09:43 AM
Half of it could work, we could be phantom-of-the-opera-esq. A shuriken towards the end could indeed work Night ^.^

Nightstalker
09-25-10, 07:50 AM
I regret to inform you that due to computer problems, I will not be able to post until thursday, unless they clear up before then.

EDIT: Retraction: There was only a virus, but that was quickly zapped. I shall post, tonight.

Hysteria
10-07-10, 07:55 AM
Would you guys prefer me to aid Nightstalker or attack the Oni?

On its back I could set fire to its head... but the flames wouldn't be too strong.

EDIT: I ask so Rev can pick to help or not and I'll do the opposite ;)

Aiko
10-07-10, 08:28 AM
I think talen would be better helping me, since the summoner absorbed part of my life and skills.

Revenant
10-07-10, 08:52 AM
I agree. Let Talen help Nightstalker, the two of you should be enough to take the summoner down. William is perfectly content to keep tearing into the giant beastie.

Hysteria
10-07-10, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a plan. :) Don't go to town too much on the bugs head, I want Talen to recover its Acid Sacs for The Nine.

Jennifer Oakley
10-07-10, 09:51 AM
Acid sacs?

Jensen has two of those :p

Aiko
10-07-10, 10:27 AM
There's only one request on my end. Don't block/take/steal all of the summoner's energies when he dies, so I can recover my missing lifeforce. Beyond that, take the killing blow if you want, otherwise, I'll do it next time I post.

Revenant
10-07-10, 01:09 PM
Next post is up. The hunters are a bit wounded but are back and focused on taking the creature down with their spears. William has latched onto the beasts neck and is stabbing and hammering at it with one free hand.

Hysteria
10-08-10, 08:16 AM
Summoner is pretty much dead, still alive though so Nightstalker can do whatever to get his energy back.

Acid sacs?

Jensen has two of those :p

I lol'd

Hysteria
10-15-10, 05:39 AM
I didn't get around to taking the sacs, maybe one of the monster hunters...? I have the mask and dagger, but just ask Talen and he'll hand over whatever with a shrug. Or if we have another round (so I assume we can stablise the condition of you two :p ) then I can hand them over in my next post.

Anything else we need to do before wrapping this up? I know that the staff is around somewhere if one of you want to try and claim it.

Aiko
10-15-10, 06:33 AM
I could... have Nightstalker's master come in and save the ninja's life.

Alternativly, I could... have a local priestess with healing abilities who owes Nightstalker's master her life save the ninja's life as repayment of an old favor.

Unless you have healers in your team already of course. I just need to know what angle to take.

Revenant
10-15-10, 08:44 AM
No healers in my group unfortunately. We pretty much only focus on stabbing really big things. I would think that they would know basic field medicine if that helps, but no magical healing or whatnot.

H, I can have the hunters start the collection process on the acid sacs or whatever in my finishing post. William can take the dagger and you can keep the mask if you still want it. If no one wants to claim the staff then I'll just leave it as spoils for the Ixian Knights. We'll take it back and let Sei-man lock the shadowstaff in a forbidden vault of something like that.

*shrug*

Aiko
10-15-10, 09:45 AM
Then, I believe I shall heal Nightstalker, and make my exit.

Hysteria
10-21-10, 12:27 AM
Yo Nightstalker, just wondering if you were able to post soon, this thread will probably bump me over to the 3lvl and I am pretty keen to hit it before I enter another thread.

Nightstalker
10-21-10, 01:36 AM
Sorry man, my inspiration had taken a bit of a nosedive, and I couldn't bring myself to so much as come up with the first sentence. I believe I have it now though, and was infact going to go write, before I saw this and was interrupted.

EDIT: posted.

Feel free to make use of the old woman and her apprentice.

Hysteria
10-28-10, 03:40 AM
Yo Rev, I think i will post after you before you submit it. I'll just wrap up. That cool?

Revenant
10-28-10, 08:48 AM
Absolutely fine by me. It's sort of what I was expecting.

On a side note, I've got about half my finishing post done but RL has intervened. I'll try to get it up later today (28th) but definately by tomorrow if not.

Revenant
10-28-10, 07:51 PM
And post is up.

Hysteria
11-03-10, 09:32 PM
So we just waiting for this to be judged?

On a more important note, this thread has been really fun guys! Great work ;)

Revenant
11-03-10, 09:52 PM
Judgement request has just been submitted. And I really enjoyed this as well. Thanks everyone.