PDA

View Full Version : Weird Tales

Vigil
10-07-10, 10:15 PM
So, here's the skinny. I've been sitting around (Oh, haha.. I've made a joke there.. I wish I had time to be sitting around) for over a month trying to figure out what direction to take Liam and to find his voice somehow. Can't say I've made any headway and I'm growing impatient. This is where you all come in. I'm going to throw down some ideas for threads and see if any of it sticks long enough for anybody to interested joining me in it. The floor is open to anyone who is active and willing to stick to the thread to the end. So don't be shy.

These ideas are macabre and likely to be heavily influenced by religion, Victorian philosophy and may at times border upon the supernatural. I'm all ears for anyone who has other things they would like to try with Liam as well, so just shoot me a message. If you're interested in any of the following ideas, however, I ask you to post in this thread with the following format;

Story you're interested in.
Name of character you'd like to use.
Link to profile.

The expediency of my responses will be determined by how fast I get replies.

---------------

Made For Madil
1-2 People
Synopsis: Doom has fallen upon the town of Madil, a stagnated village tucked away in the foothills of Corone and swallowed up by the monsterous Hammut Bog. Typically used as a refuge for thieves and all manner of criminals, the town has been said to be so consumed with strife, squallor and sin that Madil's own very black heart has been enough to tempt the Devil himself. In the middle of a swamp and typically avoided for its infamous reputation and the weird legends surrounding the Bog itself, Madil has fallen out of touch with the outside world and is said to have resisted the winds of change for decades. Still, a well traveled road passes through the Bog, guiding its travelers from the countryside to Corone Proper. It acts as one of the few roads able to connect both sides of the country and is a route taken by any major merchant big enough to defend itself from highwaymen and bandits.

Recently, however, it has been said that those entering the Bog and traveling upon the road have begun to disappear without a trace, even the caravans of traveling merchants and their well-defended goods have begun to fall victim. As treacherous as it is to travel by day as it is by night, the Bog has not been braved by many for some years until word has spread of this and other strange occurrences. A tribe of swamp people native to the Bog have seem to have risen from legend, attacking those who wander off the road and even dragging them to their doom so that they can participate in their black, sinister rituals.

Those who have returned from the Bog alive have claimed that the winding road that serpents the swamp and is supposed to act as the only safe passage through the Bog has grown treacherous and deceptive as turns and passes not even located on the map have been found, indicating that the road itself is changing, leading travelers in circles until they become lost or gather the suicidal courage to wander off the road and brave the swamp after twilight. Compasses don't work within the Bog and the canopy of trees has grown so thick and dark that it is almost impossible to guide yourself to safety by using the warming sun as a beacon.

Frantic at the implication of highwaymen disrupting their trade, trading companies have began to band together and commission adventurers to journey into the Bog and seek out the town of Madil and beckon the villagers to unravel the mystery. Of all the adventurers to brave the Bog, few have returned. And those who have have returned in horrific shape. All were stricken blind, sick with ravenous hunger and driven mad by what they must have witnessed in the treacherous deep of the inner swamp. From what has been pieced together by the gibberings of these mad men and women, the story only grows stranger.

Those that made contact with Madil found the village to be empty. Not a soul was left to stir and it seemed as if all the villagers that resided in the town had vanished without a trace. Houses seemed to have been toppled over, huge gashes made from some unknown, great beast were found on several buildings. As well, great footprints were found intermittently around the village, not leading to one place in particular, but stopping randomly. What's more, carved upon a great juniper that resides at the center of the village is the single word, "Croatoan", the name of the tribe of swamp people that have seemed to have risen from the grave. Similar graffiti can be found around the village with various spellings of the word, but other then that there has been nothing. No notes, bodies or blood have been found to tell the story of what doom befell Madil.

At night, things grow worse. Strange noises can be heard outside the village as well as sightings of an old man wandering through the swamp, and when beckoned upon by the adventurers, he simply vanishes. What makes less sense is that those that made it back told of whisperings in the dark during the night they spent in the village. Of voices heard from lost souls, carrying on parts of a conversation that cannot be heard. Several mentions have been made of a thief and the opening of an 'accursed, black box'. Other then that.. nothing.

Those that have returned cannot speak of what caused them to lose their sight or their sanity, but say that they have wandered the swamp for days and took refuge in anything that could hide them during the long and terrible night. They each speak of some great monster that stalks them at night, and eventually when they lose their sight, they can hear its terrible breathing and smell soot whenever it is nearby. As many of their friends have been either picked off by the Croatoan or just disappeared, the journey for safety became a rat race as any and all seeking to survive ran blindly through the woods searching for a way to escape.

With these reports in mind, You and Liam have been hired by the Redmond Trading Company and instructed to journey into the Bog and uncover the truth of whatever is going on in Hammut Bog and to find a way to stop it at any cost. A tale of greed, evil and bedlam that defies all imagination awaits you. What will you do to survive when you make for Madil?

Slots:
Taskmienster
Fatina

As the Pig is Long
1-2 People
Synopsis: People have begun to disappear off a well known trail where the only sign of civilization is the spread of a pig farmer, Pete Geins, and his family. Giving refuge to unsuspecting travelers caught in the middle of nowhere, the farmer and his wife provide all the accutrements of home and even invite them to stay for dinner over a meal of their legendary pork. Little do these travelers known that the farmer and his wife expect payment for their hospitality and will go to any lengths to collect their pound of flesh.

Hill people who migrated from the mountains, the family are cannibals and backwoods pagans who have carved out a life for themselves in modern Corone, though seem to have somehow resisted decades of change. Having claimed the lives of many victims over the years, the family has become very good at burying their sinister secret and have learned of over 100,1 uses for their pig.

Unknown to you and Liam of their murderous intentions, the both of you have become guests of the Geins family and are about to be claimed as their next victims. Unaware of the brutal fate that awaits you, it is up to you both to work together and escape the savage hospitality of the Geins' and leave the farm alive before the family claims its next meal.

His Name is Sid
2-3 People
Synopsis: Trouble has found its way to the city of Radasanth as Love is in the air. A God from the unknown west has traveled the raging seas and moored his ship at the docks as he has finally found civilization. A young man of considerable charm and magificient charisma, Sidalurum has brought himself and his followers a long way to establish another cult of love in his name. Immediately stricken by his spell, the mere presence of the young God has caused the city to fall to its knees in reverence as he journeyed to the center of the city and made a temple for himself in one of its great buildings. As Sidalurum makes a home for himself, however, a strange harmony has fallen upon the city.

Both man and woman, stricken with a feverish lust and yearning for the fertility god have consumated their fanaticism with each other. Writhing orgies can be found all over Radasanth as all work has grinded to a halt and Radasanth's citizens find themselves unable to contain their savage desire to love while in the presence of their new God. Meanwhile, as the entire city begins to shut down as Sidalurum's influence spreads, few can resist his charm as he continues to win over the public. Soon, Radasanth grows quiet in their feverish worship and soon the rest of the outside world falls out of touch with the City That Won Corone.

Days turn into weeks and soon weeks turn into months and little has changed. Well, almost nothing. As it seems, this pent up lust and magneticism that has built up within the Radasanthians has reached its breaking point as no amount of sex or heathenry will cause these people to reach that desired release. Soon, this tantalizing paradise of free love goes awry as lovers begin to eat one another in the lust of joining one another. It becomes the tip of the iceberg as this newfounded cannibalism sweeps eagerly through the streets and man and woman lose their humanity as they actively prey on one another, sometimes even with eager consent.

As one of the few to be snapped out of the dream of paradise by Liam and his cohorts, you find yourself naked in the streets standing over the remains of your newest lover. Tempted with suicide and an inevitable sense of betrayal, the old man gives you a tantalizing ultimatium. Help him and his men slay Sidalurum and undo the God's spell that has cursed the city and avenge the perversion that has corrupted your mind the last few weeks. With you and a handful of devout pious crusaders, all that is standing between you and Sidalurum is a city full of cannibalistic fanatics, all of them eager to demonstrate their love and devotion to their new God. What would you do?

Rocky Purple Bear Vision Quest
1-2 People
Synopsis: A daughter of an old friend of Liam has been kidnapped by a crazed cult of naturalists who worship a fruit that they use as a hallucinagen. Eager to return the girl to her parents, Liam has worked with you for several weeks to track down the cult of Kamulpa and find their leader, a sick and twisted individual known only as Samuel who has a strange attraction and lust for this twelve year old girl.

Finding their base of operations at an old, overgrown mausoleum they have turned into a compound, you and Liam will work together to infilitrate the cult and find the girl. As it turns out, the cultists are peace loving and passive to all, but their leader is a mad man that has forged an unspeakable plan to raise their strange God from His slumber and unleash Him upon the world. The implication of such a plot and how he intends to go about it drives Liam into a rage. However, as unstable as Samuel is, going into the crypt and just taking the girl is too risky. Instead, Liam insists that you and he join the cult and endure their absurdity to find her and keep her away from danger.

With almost a month spent in the monastery after the brainwashing and your almost fatal initiation, it will soon be apparent that the madness Samuel has convinced himself of has start to sound almost feasible. It is up to you to stop the priest from carrying out his devllish plan and save a little girl from being defiled. After ingesting psychotropic fruit, sent to find your spirit animal in a forest crawling with bear and a whole host of other strange rites bordering upon the idiotic, it will be up to you to retain your sanity and keep up with Liam as the both of you work your way up through the Church and deeper into the crypt until you find a way to thwart Samuel and stop him from consumating his victory on a night with a full moon.

------------------

More to come!

Taskmienster
10-07-10, 10:49 PM
If the first one is related to a beast, in some way mythical and really old, I'll join it with you as a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn.

Vigil
10-08-10, 01:10 PM
Taskmienster, yes. The beast is old. And I wondered if the hints of the Devil being involved threw you or not, because he's in this. Because of Liam's victorian-era christian influences, a lot of the stories are shaped to accomodate that. If that suits you, then you're in.

Fatina also expressed interest in this story so I'll count you both for this. We'll try to throw up the opening post some time tonight or tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions, answers or concerns.

EDIT: I also don't really know being a member of the Golden Dawn is or how it pertains to this, but its up to you if you'd like to use that.

Taskmienster
10-08-10, 01:12 PM
The devil thing is whatev for the story in the way Einar is. Lol. However, it being old and having influence on modern Althanas means that I can throw myself in as part of the Order of the Golden Dawn since that's what they do. :p

Vigil
10-08-10, 01:14 PM
That's fine. I don't see it as a really long quest, either, so provided everybody posts on time and we don't really have any setbacks, it should be a pretty light thread for the density of the material.