PDA

View Full Version : The first acts of Corruption

Aiko
10-21-10, 04:51 AM
Radasanth was one of the largest cities in the world. Home to thousands of souls, everyone it seemed, had a home, a job, an overall pleasant lifestyle. There was very little want, and everyone seemed to get along great. But those who lived those lives, forgot about the poor and unfortunate beings who lived in the slums. Desperate people who would do anything for money, for power, for anything that would give them a leg up in the world.

Criminals ran riot among their ranks, for such was their poor luck, that often few had any other choice. The only thing they had was hope, and faith that somehow it would all work out. It was paradise for Calbrena. The woman looked out from the shadows at her new playground. All these sheep, waiting to be lead to the slaughter, her victims, waiting, desiring to be victimized. The prospect of her future here made he salivate in anticipation.

Calbrena was no ordinary woman. Not a drop of elf, human, or dwarf blood ran in her veins. No ordinary species could claim kinship to her. She was born half-angel, half-demon. When she grew up, she worked hard to remove the angel half of her ancestory, so it was that of her own free will, she caused herself to fall from grace and become a complete demon. But that wasn't enough for her. She needed more, desired more. She was the weakest member of her family, powerful arch-demons known as The Seven Deadly Sins. They ruled The Abyss, a separate plane of Althanas filled with nightmares and horrors. Through stealth, trickery, and struggle, Calbrena achieved that which was thought to be impossible, and gained the powers of The Eternal Hellfire.

The Eternal Hellfire was the greatest of all evil powers, for it was all that was dark and evil, combined. It merged with her, became apart of her, devoured her soul and replaced it with itself. In so doing, it changed all that she knew to be her powers and skills. In the flames she found new powers, and stronger versions of old powers. She also found knowledge and wisdom, this gained from the collective souls of those who had tried for The Eternal Hellfire before her, and failed. Such was the nature of her change, that the flames destroyed her body, and replaced it with a new one. Now she was a devil, walking among the needy, the innocent, the naive, and now when they needed a savior the most none would appear.

Calbrena walked out of the alleyway, and onto the dirt road. Being on the southern outskirts of the city, the houses were all made of wood, with thatched roofs. They streets were as neat and orderly as the rest of the city, but the houses were barely one room. As Calbrena stood in the middle of one street contemplating who to try her new powers on first, a small boy ran into her. She quickly caught herself, but the boy fell backwards.

“I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't see you there. Are you ok? You look funny, your not a normal demon are you?” the boy asked after picking himself back up.

She was in her regular black shorts and shirt, her duster hanging open. Her wings were folded behind her as her tail swung too and fro. She put a hand on her hip as she looked herself over, then looked over at the boy. She leaned over to look him in the eye, and caught him taking a look down her shirt before meeting her gaze.

“And what, I ask, is so funny about me? Haven't you ever seen a good demon before?” She asked.

“No. I didn't mean to insult you. Papa says I'm quicker to speak than I am to think. Your not going to hurt me, are you?” the boy asked.

“I just said I was a good demon, didn't I? Not all demons are bad, and I am a particularly good demoness. It's why I have four horns and four wings, instead of two, or none.” Calbrena lied.

“Oh. Well, I have to hurry home now. Sorry again for bumping into you lady.” the boy said, and took off.

“My name's Calbrena, not lady.” Calbrena called after him.

“Collin.” the boy shouted back in reply.

“Did I hear you right? You claim to be a good demoness? I didn't think such was possible. Calbrena was it? Nice to meet you, name's Jim Ned. I guess you could say I'm in charge of this little area of Radasanth. Nothing official mind you, but the locals always turn to me first. What brings you to our neighborhood?” a nearby man asked dressed in a white burlap shirt, and leather breeches.

“Oh, just out to do some good deeds. I believe in random acts of kindness. Other demons hate me terribly for it. Save for the good demons of course. Say, if your the leader of this neighborhood, you need a better shirt than just burlap. How about a nice leather shirt to go with those pants?” Calbrena asked.

“That'd be nice, I've been saving up for a couple. Say, you got someplace to stay tonight? Hut's awful lonely since the wife died a few years back at the hands of some thief who wanted her money more than she did.” Jim Ned said.

“That sounds lovely. We've got a contract then. See, my particular powers require a written contract be established before they can be used, detailing what each side is to give. Room and board in exchange for some shirts sounds great.” Calbrena said.

Calbrena decided this would make the sound basis for a good plan. First, ingratiate herself to the neighborhood, then do her dirty work. She followed him back to his hovel, which was the same as all the others, except it was bigger, having two rooms each with a bed, and there she took a piece of parchment, and wrote down their contract.

“In exchange for three average quality leather shirts, Jim Ned promises to give Calbrena room, board, and entertainment for as long as she requires. In the event this contract is broken, then new payment arrangements will be made on the spot.”

Calbrena signed, and then handed it over to Jim Ned. He was in his thirties, scars spoke of a rough childhood. His hands were rough and calloused from hard work, and his muscles were well built. He had brown hair, and a patch of brown whiskers on his chin. He looked at the wording, and raised an eyebrow at her.

“Well, I might be here for more than one day, and as for entertainment, surely you don't intend on just ignoring me while I'm here. Besides, I'm not really asking so much that your going to break the contract are you?” Calbrena asked defensively.

The man signed, and handed the paper back, wondering if this was a trap like he suspected, or if she was honest. If it was a trap, he knew how to get to his sword quickly and resolve that contract even quicker. Calbrena rolled up the parchment, and flames engulfed it, but no ashes fell, the parchment merely disappeared.

She turned to the table she had written the contract on, and pointed at it. Black flames erupted on the table for a second, then retreated, leaving behind three average brown leather shirts that would fit Jim Ned perfectly.

“Remember, friend. I am just as bound by the contract as you are. I have fulfilled my end of the bargain, but I promise not to stay too long. Perhaps three days at the most, in which case this works perfectly. One shirt for each day.” Calbrena said.

“No, I didn't mistrust you. I was just thinking some beef stew would be nice.” Jim Ned lied.

“That would be nice indeed. Now, about that entertainment clause, I'm open to all sorts of fulfillment methods. For now, tell me about the neighborhood, what's going on around here?” Calbrena asked.

Jim Ned spoke while he cooked, and evening turned to night. Old lady mccray was complaining of aches in her joints, Collin's father was having trouble finding work, like most people in this area. A man lived down the street that was rather reclusive, everyone thought he was a thief. Calbrena listened to Jim Ned ramble on, as he talked about the troubles everyone was having. Then he spoke about all the good things going on. Babies being born, various people finding success in this area or that. It was life. Normal, everyday life.

“Well, it seems I've spoken long enough, I believe the stew is ready.” Jim Ned said.

It was, and it was thin and watery. Calbrena choked it down, and feigned enjoyment. If she never had to have another bowl like that, it couldn't come soon enough. Her mind wandered over to Jim Ned himself. Frequently he would sneak a glance in at her body. She didn't know if it was her claws, her dark red skin, or her black hair and eyes he liked, but a bulge in his leather pants told her he was attracted. So, when he moved to go to bed, she stopped him with a hand on his shoulder, claws lightly touching his skin.

“Now, about that entertainment clause, I'm open to all sorts of fulfillment methods. I know your attracted to me, and my morals are remarkably loose in certain areas. How about I help you go to sleep?” Calbrena asked, not wanting to sleep with the man, but needing to do so to fully blind him to her true intent in this rundown area.

He lead her to his bed, and only marginally failed to satisfy her, despite the light wounds in his back from her claws when she almost reached satisfaction. In classic male form though, Jim Ned rolled right over and went to sleep. Calbrena lay there quietly cursing his lack of endurance.

Aiko
10-21-10, 06:18 AM
The first light of day awoke Calbrena from her slumber, mostly because it had first woken up Jim Ned. He had made so much commotion getting out of bed Calbrena would not have been in the slightest bit surprised if it could wake up the dead. Sighing, grunting, groaning, passing gas, joints cracking and popping, he was as annoying as a rooster. She sighed herself and got up to get dressed.

“Oh, sorry, did I wake you?” Jim Ned asked.

“Yes. Now I hope you'll excuse me, but I'm going to finish getting dressed, and then enjoy a smoke.” Calbrena said.

“You smoke?” Jim Ned asked, surprised.

“Yep. I don't apologize either. True not everyone likes it, but I don't care.” Calbrena said irritated she had been awoken so early.

They dressed in silence, and Calbrena lit a cigarette to enjoy. Some children were up already, doing chores, mostly fetching water. She sat down on a nearby tree stump that was used sometimes as a bench, sometimes as a table, and sometimes as a platform, depending on what the locals were doing at the time. It was big enough to seat two of her, so, upon seeing an opportunity for a small bit of corruption, she placed her pack of cigarettes behind her.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw one older child, almost in his teens look closely, then turn away. She listened carefully, and minutes later, when he thought no one was paying attention, listened as he snuck up behind her, and artfully stole one of her cigarettes, then quietly moved off. She appreciated the skill of the young thief, obviously he had stolen more than once in his young life. She silently wished him full enjoyment of his prize.

***After his success, the young man delayed gathering water, and stole off into a nearby abandoned house where he sometimes hid to be alone. It was his first cigarette, and he had no way of knowing at the time, but it wouldn't be his last. Though he would detest the taste, and the coughing. In a few days, he'd desire the pleasure it brought him so greatly, he'd sneak off into the city, and steal a whole pack. That pack would lead to another, and another, until ultimately, he was addicted. But that wouldn't be the only outcome of Calbrena allowing him to steal her cigarette. Over the course of stealing future packs, he'd take other items as well, selling them to people on the black market. Finding success, he'd leave home, and become a full time thief. An entire life diverted from one serving in the city guard, to one evading the city guard, due to one small seemingly insignificant act. Such was the way of corruption.

After her morning smoke, Calbrena noticed Collin playing in front of a house in the distance. She grabbed her pack and walked down that way, where she heard the child pretending he was a powerful sorcerer, casting one spell after another. Calbrena smiled, a dark malevolent smile. This was a perfect opportunity, too good to pass up. She could give him magic, and legitimately take a real prize in return, part of his soul, which would of course include his innocence. To feast on the pure soul of an innocent child was a delight even her own family was rarely able to enjoy, and this would be her first time.

“Well, good morning Collin. Casting spells to protect your family?” she asked innocently.

“You bet. I'm fighting off the zombie horde with my lightning bolts!” he said enthusiastically.

“Wow! I'm glad we're on the same side. As your ally in this grand battle, I feel it my duty to tell you, Zombies aren't greatly affected by lightning. Fire does a much better job.” Calbrena said.

Collin picked up a pebble, and threw it at a large rock in the grass infront of his parent's house, while trying to imitate the crackle of fire. Calbrena smiled, and stepped up beside him. He offered her a pebble so she could throw a fireball, but she waved it off, and threw a real fireball at the rock. Collin looked at her in shock and awe.

“That's amazing! Can you teach me to do that?” Collin asked excited.

“Oh, I'm afraid not. You have to have real magic first, and you apparently weren't born with it, so you'd have to acquire it in some fashion.” Calbrena said.

“I see.” Collin said, disappointed.

“Don't despair, since we're friends, I can give you magic, if you like. Real magic, not pretend.” Calbrena said encouragingly.

“Collin! Time for breakfast.” His mother said from the doorway.

“I'll see you later Cally.” Collin said as he ran past his mother.

“What do you want with my son, Demoness? Can't you make friends your own age? You better not try anything with my son, or I swear I'll make you pay.” Collin's mother threatened.

“You misunderstand me. I'm a good demoness, not a bad demoness. The power I would give would be healing magic. Think of the good he could do, imagine your son, the great healer of Radasanth, no, of Corone. Better yet, Collin, the great healer of Althanas. He's young, he still has the potential.” Calbrena said.

“Lies. You might have fooled Jim Ned, and its easy to fool impressionable children, but the only good demon of any kind is a dead demon.” Collin's mother hissed, and disappeared inside.

Calbrena stalked off in a quiet rage, and in an abandoned section, consulted with the only nearby entity she could trust, The Eternal Hellfire.

“Spirits, tell me, how am I to convince Collin's mother, and his father?” Calbrena asked.

“We hear your words, oh mistress. Hear us she who is named The Deadly Sin of Corruption, you have already stated you are a good demoness. The one you have slept with last night already told you of his neighbor's troubles. Help them, and make the child's parents believe you are trustworthy, then shall the pathway to your prize be cleared. Yet heed our warning she who owns us, though it is true, the acts of corruption are best done by slow invisible degrees, you do not have that time, or that luxury here. You must strike hard and fast, moving at ever greater scales if you wish to succeed before your allotted time has passed. It would be wise to seek contract with the parents at the very last, as a means of taking your prize. Do not promise more than you can give.” The spirits of The Eternal Hellfire replied, their voices sounding as a chorus of thousands speaking from within crackling flames that echoed around her.

Aiko
10-21-10, 09:07 AM
Calbrena walked back into the area she was currently trying to victimize. Old lady McCray was going for some water, the stiffness in her movements spoke of the pain in her joints. The elderly woman seemed to wear a perpetual frown, born from years of never knowing release from her pain. Calbrena slid up beside her, and knowing she could never escape Calbrena if she chose violence, Old lady McCray merely stopped and looked at her.

“What do you want?” she asked harshly, her voice shaky with age.

“I merely want to help you. It must be difficult to fetch the water each morning. That's something a loving grandson should be doing.” Calbrena said.

Before objections could be raised, Calbrena grabbed the bucket, and darted off to the local well, this part of the city having no other water source. She faithfully filled the bucket, and carried it back, the woman having already turned around to go back home.

“I have no grandchildren, my son's wife is infertile. Their visiting later today. If you really want to help me, cure her infertility. Then I'll have a reason to take them up on their offer to move to the farm with them. Name's Ella McCray by the way.” Ella said.

“Oh, I'll make sure to drop by and see if your son's wife wants my help. For you however, I can't help but notice your walk. You must suffer from such pain to feel that way. I can at least ease the pain, lessen it somewhat, if you'll let me.” Calbrena said.

“I don't have money, most healers want something for their services.” Ella said, indicating that the healers she visited wouldn't help anyone out of kindness and mercy.

“Well, it is true that my powers only function on a contract basis. But money is meaningless to me. I know what you can give me though. Jim Ned's cooking is awful. For a widowed man without a new wife, you'd think it would taste better. If I don't have to suffer through his attempt at breakfast, I'd consider working on your pain to be a fair trade.” Calbrena said.

“Well, I do have a bit of bacon, sausage, and eggs that need to be used before my son brings up a fresh batch from his farm. I might even throw in some dried bread.” Ella said.

As with Jim Ned, Calbrena once again, took a moment to write out a contract on a blank sheet of parchment Ella had for letter writing purposes.

***“In return for easing, if not eliminating her pain, Ella McCray agrees to make breakfast for Calbrena.”

After both parties had signed, Calbrena took the letter, and it burned up in her hand like before. Calbrena put her hands on Ella McCray, the old woman was tense, and nervous. Then she felt warmth spread through her body, and for the first time in years, she knew the sensation of being free of pain. Her perpetual frown disappeared, replaced with a kind smile.

“You are a discredit to the reputation of demonkind.” Ella said, though it seemed a sort of backhanded compliment to Calbrena.

“As I have told others around here, I am a good demon, not all of us are evil. I get the notion that you probably won't have the limberness of a young girl, but you shouldn't feel pain anymore, or at least if it returns, it'll be lesser than before. Thus I have fulfilled my end of the agreement.” Calbrena said.

“Then allow me to fulfill my own.” Ella said.

Half an hour later, Calbrena received a plate filled with delicious sausages, smoked bacon, and eggs with not one, but two yolks. She devoured the plate with the sort of voracious enjoyment one might expect from Gluttony. Calbrena was stunned, the quality nearly rivaled her brother's own, a remarkably hard feat for any chef to accomplish. Ella McCray clearly had a lot of experience in the kitchen.

“That was remarkable. I almost wish I were still eating so I could enjoy it again. Ella McCray, our contract has been mutually fulfilled. I swear upon my family's power I will return to see about your daughter-in-law.” Calbrena said, greatly sated by breakfast as she was.

Ella McCray watched in stunned silence as the demoness walked out the door, trying to reconcile her opinion and known facts about demons, against what just happened to her. Calbrena meanwhile began to wonder if she'd inadvertently corrupt herself, while trying to secure the innocence of a single child. Collin's mother watched Calbrena leave through narrow eyes, and after the demoness turned a corner, she hurried to Ella McCray's only to receive the shock of her life, as Ella moved about her house with ease and comfort.

As Calbrena turned a corner, she ran straight into a familiar child. This time she grabbed Collin before he fell. The surprised child cried out in alarm, not expecting to run into the demoness. Calbrena raised a finger to his lips to silence him, and released him when he tried to back up.

“I was surprised, that's all. Don't tell mama I'm skipping out on my lessons, 'kay? I don't wanna learn reading, writing, and math. It's boring.” Collin complained.

“Oh, but every great sorcerer knows those things. Even the not so great ones know those three basic skills. I can't give you magic if your not going to take your studies seriously.” Calbrena said.

“No one's giving my son magic, demoness. I'll not fall for your traps. One old woman doesn't convince me of your honesty.” Collin's mother said.

“Then what will?” Calbrena asked.

“Your head on a silver platter.” the woman hissed.

“Oh, but I can't do that, it would imbalance the economy and drive the price of silver down.” Calbrena said with a straight face.

“Then put it on a stake, I don't care.” the woman said, grabbing her son by the hand and dragging him off back to school.

“Would you sign a contract to that effect?” Calbrena called after her.

The gesture Collin's mother returned was not polite in any manner.