PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Hunting (Discussion)

Melancor
12-10-10, 03:49 AM
This thread is meant to pick up from this: http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=177090#post177090

Here people who displayed interest on that thread can come and re firm it here, to know who from the old thread is still interested. It is also to discuss ideas for the thread and its progression.

Here is a Thread: http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=22092

Here is thee general plot of this idea: In the old days there used to be a famous dragon slayer that managed to make dragons extinct in Salvar. However, during the war, the man, who was also an army general, died. Since the generals rampage through Salvar the remaining dragons of the region relocated to the Outlands north of Salvar across that sea to a mountain range where they kept a low profile. Through time the grouping of dragons of several species have began homogenizing into a new species.

The characters then hear through a great commotion all around Salvar about the heroe's son setting out in a quest with an elite group of hunters to not kill the brood mother of the dragon clan, but capture it alive for the Salvar Monarchy.

I was thinking that perhaps there could be a way for people to choose whether they could join the elite group, or go against them to prevent them from even coming close to attaining such a dangerous weapon.

I know that Amber Eyes and Sei had some ideas of their own. Lets share and see what ideas we can come up with.

Petoux
12-10-10, 01:08 PM
Can people that were not in the original thread (me for example) join this particular quest? If so, I'm interested in this myself and might have a few ideas as well if that's ok.

Knave
12-11-10, 05:35 PM
Likewise, if you'll have me I'll join.

Hysteria
12-11-10, 06:24 PM
I'm still in! I just need to post :p

Atzar
12-12-10, 02:36 AM
What are you guys looking for in terms of rewards? Story aside, is this essentially a massive expedition for 70% of Althanas to get their own dragon?

Hysteria
12-12-10, 03:52 AM
Sure is for me. We have a go time on this Melancor?

Atzar
12-12-10, 04:20 AM
Depending on how many cooks you have in the kitchen already, I'd be open to providing some opposition to this little venture. I'd have to hear more from somebody about the specifics of the plot, but I'm sure I could come up with something - even if I have to use an NPC to do it.

To be perfectly honest, I have OOC reasons for my interest - I'd rather not see pet dragons for the majority of Althanas' characters. The way I see it, dragons are awesome because they're legendary - they're so rare that almost nobody ever sees one, and they're so powerful that almost everybody who does see one never makes it back to share the tale. I guess I feel like a huge "Hey everybody, grab a friend! We're all going to capture dragons!" quest would cheapen that effect.

But it would be jackassish of me to just pop in and express my misgivings when I don't have anything to do with the idea. So I'm willing to jump in and play this out IC. Ultimately, if you decide that you don't appreciate my intentions or otherwise don't want me raining on your parade, then I can't object and I'll leave the thread without another word - it's your call. But I certainly don't mean to submarine your quest, and I actually think a friendly conflict of interests here could make for some fun.

I won't be able to post before Saturday, but I should be able to post fairly regularly after that.

Melancor
12-12-10, 04:32 AM
You may start posting if you'd like, Hysteria, no one else from the other thread has expressed any interest to join this one quest but I hope they let me know soon. As for the people who showed recent interest, I don't think there should be too much of a problem. Keep in mind that we have all heard from the Dragonslayer's intentions through rumors or the press. It is the expedition of the year and it has brought a lot of attention. Consider why your character might be headed there. To join in, to merely watch from the sidelines, or perhaps to stop it. Either way know that no one yet knows this dragon clan. And I left that open so it could be easier to personalize spoils.

What are you guys looking for in terms of rewards? Story aside, is this essentially a massive expedition for 70% of Althanas to get their own dragon?

Well... I know when Witchblade got her dragon it was either meerely an infant or she had to hatch it first, but that aside I'm leaving my expectations open, not that I hope for Melancor to tame a mature magic dragon or something. But I'm also interested in some materials Sylv could pick up at the den.

EEDIT: NINJA"D

But it would be jackassish of me to just pop in and express my misgivings when I don't have anything to do with the idea. So I'm willing to jump in and play this out IC. Ultimately, if you decide that you don't appreciate my intentions or otherwise don't want me raining on your parade, then I can't object and I'll leave the thread without another word - it's your call. But I certainly don't mean to submarine your quest, and I actually think a friendly conflict of interests here could make for some fun.

I won't be able to post before Saturday, but I should be able to post fairly regularly after that.

Hmmm... I understand where you are coming from and quite frankly I agree; when I first saw the first recruitment quest I thought it a little pretentious and I hesitated a little before joining after realizing that I'd always planned to get this character one eventually. Although I expected to leave it up to the judge to decide weather or not our quest would be worthy of the spoils and determine the conditions by which we could retain them or raise them if so. But I still think this could be pretty interesting.

Atzar
12-12-10, 04:54 AM
I agree, it could definitely be interesting. I wouldn't have butted in If I didn't think this was a cool concept. But, ummm... You didn't answer my main question. Do you guys want me to join up, or would you rather I stayed out of it?

Amber Eyes
12-12-10, 01:28 PM
Sei and I are still in...we will get posts up tonight or early morning tomorrow. Sei is basically going to bring Kyla with him to offer aid. Other than that, I'm good with whatever basic storyline you guys want. I just want a dragon egg to take home for Akiv :)

Melancor
12-12-10, 06:19 PM
I agree, it could definitely be interesting. I wouldn't have butted in If I didn't think this was a cool concept. But, ummm... You didn't answer my main question. Do you guys want me to join up, or would you rather I stayed out of it?

I'm waiting to see if anyone has any objections :P I don't mind if you join in.

Since the plot is still pretty loose I'll be on AIM in case there's questions or comments, I'm expecting you guys to help develop this plot as it goes.

Petoux
12-13-10, 08:19 AM
So .... can I join or not? You ignored my comment earlier.

Hysteria
12-14-10, 08:10 AM
To double check, has our party been hired by Rahn Duvar to capture the brood mother? Or are we travelling with Sylvan to stop him?

Melancor
12-15-10, 02:27 PM
As for the people who showed recent interest, I don't think there should be too much of a problem.
You can join :P

Hysteria, since this is meant to be an expedition that has gotten a lot of attention many more have come to participate in one way or another I'm imagining a lot of them are looters who expect to take advantage of the Dragonslayer's attack to aquire precious, invaluable hides, teeth and bones, perhaps some eggs too, many are just there for their amusement, an opportunity to see one of the elusive creatures. I picture our characters being in that bunch; Duvan's expedition is only formed by elite warriors no mercenaries, and it has already landed on the northern shores across the sea. The next day there will me lots of people trying to cross the sea, perhaps with the help of Aerie Point's villagers, through skiffs or small boats. I am guessing we will all meet either before during or after the voyage, let it be we coincidentally travel together or meet at either docks

Petoux
12-17-10, 02:41 PM
Since you keep ignoring me, I'm just going to assume I'm not accepted to join your quest and try a different one.

Notify me otherwise if I'm wrong.

Silence Sei
12-17-10, 03:20 PM
Read the post before yours, he said you could join.

Petoux
12-19-10, 04:59 PM
who would you want to post first? Hysteria, me, or does it matter the order?

Hysteria
01-14-11, 01:12 AM
bump. Don't forget to post people :p