PDA

View Full Version : Realm of Greeting Q & A

Max Dirks
01-10-11, 11:43 PM
Please ask any questions you have about the ROG or approvals here.

Yari Rafanas
01-11-11, 02:09 AM
Is there going to be a guide on Character Updates or are those of us re-registering just going to have to wing it? I can't seem to find it in the Updates forum or anywhere else.

Max Dirks
01-14-11, 05:14 AM
Is there going to be a guide on Character Updates or are those of us re-registering just going to have to wing it? I can't seem to find it in the Updates forum or anywhere else.I think eventually we'll see an updated guide. For now, just know that everything is slanted towards greater character growth at lower levels.

Duffy
01-14-11, 05:39 AM
I can see, having had a thread judged for a level one, that whereas a 76 score for a 14 poster or so would've netted 780-900 experience at the most, (which is a considerable effort), it now creates 1,500, so I am hoping the speed earlier on balances out.

Is there a standard deviation or drop in XP earned per level, something nice and simple we can understand?

Max Dirks
01-14-11, 06:22 AM
I can see, having had a thread judged for a level one, that whereas a 76 score for a 14 poster or so would've netted 780-900 experience at the most, (which is a considerable effort), it now creates 1,500, so I am hoping the speed earlier on balances out.

Is there a standard deviation or drop in XP earned per level, something nice and simple we can understand?http://althanas.com/world/faq.php?faq=exp#faq_introexp

As you can see, the level distribution remains the same. Further, the increase in EXP is universal too (low level characters and high level characters see the same increase). Ability distribution is what favors newer characters. Like a typical RPG, you gain a lot of abilities in the earlier levels and taper off at the higher levels. Of course, the abilities gained at higher levels are considerably stronger than those in lower levels.

Silence Sei
01-14-11, 07:13 AM
Also of note, Duffy, you gained an extra 127 some odd exp due to one of the factors in the equation.

Duffy
01-14-11, 07:21 AM
Thank you both, :).

Wynken
01-20-11, 09:37 AM
I have some questions relating mostly to the difference(s) between abilities and skills. What if a skill grants a stat modification? For instance, I have some planned skills that are in part subjective/indirect while also containing objective components. Also, and perhaps this question stems from the way I understand the first, the FAQ details stacked abilities - but is there any ruling on how skills and abilities can work in conjunction with one another?

Silence Sei
01-20-11, 10:16 AM
This is how I understand it

Can you create a flame tornado from using your fire and wind magic together? No, that's a completely new ability.

Can you create a tornado with your wind magic, and run it into a bush that you caught on fire to create a flame tornado? Yes, because those are using 2 registered abilities as what they were listed, and they just happened to combine to do something your character did not directly cause.

As far as I know, skills that increase stats will have to be registered as abilities, but I'm iffy there.

As far as skills and abilities used in conjunction, lemme give you an example:

Wynken has a fireball ability, and is an expert hunter. Now, he's tracking down Sei in the forest. Wynken may be an expert hunter, but I'm assuming that this is under normal forest standards. There's no way to predict (if he throws his fireball) where Sei is going to go, what trees will be in his way, wind direction, what would catch ablaze from casting the spell, etc etc.

I may have just totally avoided your question by mistake, and if I did, PM me and I'll try to clarify better if I misunderstood what you were asking.

Wynken
01-20-11, 01:20 PM
Heh, maybe I'll just wait to submit my updates and we can hammer it out then. It'll be easier when it's all laid out clearly.

If anyone can firm up the question about stat modifying skills, that would be fantastic though. Thanks!

Taskmienster
01-20-11, 04:48 PM
If you are suggesting that a skill that you are using can, in turn, affect your stats (I assume strength, speed, ect) then it will be considered an ability. For example, being able to use a sword is a skill. A specific maneuver that you use that causes something to happen is an ability. Two examples:

1) A specific maneuver that allows a samurai to draw a sword directly from the sheath. The initial withdraw of the sword causes the first strike to be 2x faster than a normal blow. That is an ability, something that modifies your speed attributes.

2) When removing a sword from the sheath, a beam of dark energy is released and sent out towards the opponent. That is also an ability.

The ability to use the sword itself is a skill, the affects that are caused by the removing of the blade are abilities.

orphans
01-20-11, 05:21 PM
posting really quickly from work so I apologize if this is rushed.

I can foresee issues with leveling my character later on, only because many of her stat increases will be passive and directly tied into what she is as a race.

I can't go into specifics at the moment, but something off the top of my head would be Azza's strength fortification and speed. These two are directly tied into her development as a species of her race, but I separated it out as racial abilities. Should they have gone under something more like traits?

Breaker
01-20-11, 05:59 PM
Orphans, it doesn't matter what you want to call them. Duffy has looked over your profile, and I've looked over your profile, and we both agree you don't need to worry about anything until your next level update, and that you probably won't have to make too many changes. Lots of other characters have very similar abilities and they're integrating just fine.

Duffy
01-20-11, 07:07 PM
You have to also consider, Orphans, that statistic increases are relative to their base value.

In your case, X1.2 speed or strength would still likely mean -0.8% that of a grown human, and still half as quick as the reflexes of an elf with a similar benefit.

Your regenerative abilities are balanced and offset with the negative traits, as long as you don't progress the higher end boosts at absurd rates with each level up, there will be no issue with character progression regardless of the classifications :).

Kurai
01-21-11, 11:01 AM
Quick question. Would members be able re-register their characters to make better use of the RoG template?

I'm already aware that I wouldn't be able to use any of the new abilities in threads I'm already in, I just would like to know if I can add things now or would I have to wait until my first level up.

Duffy
01-21-11, 04:03 PM
That's entirely your choice (though it's my preference for everyone to not do it at the same time!)

Gan Mann
09-06-11, 01:34 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum, so forgive me for asking something that's really obvious.
I've posted my character profile on the PG-registration board, as instructed by the FAQ. But, when I look at the page I can't see my post. I've tried posting my profile twice already, but it doesn't seem to work.
Can somebody help me out?

SirArtemis
09-06-11, 01:43 PM
Hi Gan, and welcome!

Just asking to make sure that you are posting it on THIS PAGE. (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?7-Character-PG-Registration)

It seems you've managed to post here so I'm fairly confident it's not an issue of misclicking or not submitting properly. Give it another try there, on the same page where the thread titled "Siren" is listed. If you still have trouble, you could message the profile to either Sandstorm or Letho and they may be able to help you out as well.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a moderator or admin)

EDIT: I see you posted! Glad things worked out =)

Gan Mann
09-06-11, 02:05 PM
Ah, this time it came through. I think it has something to do with the two reply buttons on the page: the first two times I tried to post my profile I used the bottom one, but the last time I used the top one. Dunno. :P
But yeah, thanks!

Letho
09-06-11, 04:36 PM
Actually, what happens is that the forum automatic filtering system sometimes brands a newly posted profile as potential spam, so it doesn't appear until a mod looks over it and approves it. There is actually a stickied notice (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?22484-Notice-Disappearing-Profiles) regarding that issue.

Johnathan Bryant Bennett
10-29-11, 10:58 AM
How long will it take to have my chatacter approved? His name is Scriben Larshdok. Please respond as soon as possible.

Letho
10-29-11, 12:52 PM
Patience, young padawan. :)

ahtbirdyboy
12-08-12, 04:47 PM
Which thread do I submit my character? The 'Registration Archive' or 'Character Updates'?

Luned
12-08-12, 04:51 PM
Submit it by starting a new thread right in the main Character Registration subforum: http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?7-Character-Registration

Thanks for checking, and welcome to Althanas!

Crayth
08-20-13, 08:42 AM
So I'm planning on basing my character very loosely off myself, which includes being born deaf.

His history (which will be one of my first pieces) will explain how he grew up and how he came into the possession of two gold hoop earrings that allow him to hear like a normal human while he is wearing them. They are obviously enchanted to counter-act his deafness.

I know that the RoG frowns upon anything enchanted being granted to new characters, but would this be possible?

Mordelain
08-20-13, 08:48 AM
Given the nature of the enchantment, I shouldn't see it being a problem. Easy ways to ensure you get to keep them:

Make them unsellable.

Make it clear he's completely deaf without them (if ever they're damaged/negated/stolen), etc, and you should be fine.

Crayth
08-20-13, 08:55 AM
Unsellable!

Genius.

Thanks Mordelain :D

Sir Walter
12-21-13, 12:34 PM
Is there a guide some place covering the details of how NPC characters are handled (Registered, used, limitations)? I know some people have asked questions concerning them and I would like to know too. However, it seems to be missing in the character registration guide (or I missed it).

Kyra
12-22-13, 03:06 PM
Hello! I have not seen a description of the sky. Is there a moon or more than one up there to look at? If so, what colour and size (if are more than 1).

Hysteria
12-23-13, 03:36 AM
Is there a guide some place covering the details of how NPC characters are handled (Registered, used, limitations)? I know some people have asked questions concerning them and I would like to know too. However, it seems to be missing in the character registration guide (or I missed it).

If you are planning on having a recurring character in your character's story line, then it is pretty relaxed. You can post your NPCs in the character registration, or just introduce them in your threads.

Sir Walter
12-23-13, 09:05 AM
Read through the new ROG guide. It looks great and explains things well in a neat manner.

However, did the level of power achievable go down? I saw that for abilities, it's listed as 3 starting plus maybe 1 more per level instead of 2 like I previously hear.d So basically, are higher level characters probably going to become more limited in their maximum power?

Zook Murnig
12-23-13, 09:40 AM
The two abilities per level from previous versions included proficiencies and noncombat skills, things that are no longer considered "Abilities," but are now listed as "Skills," which have no limitations.

Hysteria
12-24-13, 06:10 AM
Hello! I have not seen a description of the sky. Is there a moon or more than one up there to look at? If so, what colour and size (if are more than 1).

There are quite a few orbiting bodies in the sky, but there is nothing concrete on if they appear as stars or the moon. There could be between one and three. There was some work going on trying to figure it out exactly, but feel free to write add it suits you.

Sir Walter
12-24-13, 10:21 AM
I just noticed the new ROG guide has absolutely no mention of weaknesses any more. Is there any reason to even have weaknesses? It seems like that people should be encouraged to have at least some weakness that can be exploited since that adds more depth to the character and makes them more "realistic". However, from what I heard from people I talked to, it seems like it's rather useless to have weaknesses since you will get little or nothing out of having them and they will only hinder you. Is there any reason to have weaknesses? Like can a character have slightly stronger magic if he has a physical disability like missing his arms?

Just to kind of explain why I'm asking this question on weaknesses. I was talking with Dirks a few weeks ago about a character update I had in mind. It basically was giving the character huge weaknesses in return for a certain ability. Dirks didn't quite say a definite "yes" but seem to me to say that it might be ok. For that character, I guess I might have to talk to someone on the ROG staff to see if they think the character design is fine so I can go write out the solos and stuff that would change him...

Hysteria
12-24-13, 04:27 PM
I'll add something about weaknesses in. A character with a weakness In one area can be stronger in another.

Sanste
01-01-14, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to say that the two guides posted on the ROG forums seem to be missing pictures. It might just be my computer but it could also be that it is hidden for non-mods or something strange like that.

http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?26538-Quick-Account-Switch-Guide
http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?26537-Profile-Linking-Guide

Also, the quick link on the forums doesn't seem to work any more. Believe it's suppose to link to Hysteria's great RoG guide.
http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?26564-RoG-Guide-New-Players-Read-This!

Hysteria
01-05-14, 05:11 AM
I tried with a non-mod account and logged off and both times the images for those threads showed. That one might be your computer.

I'll ask for the link to be updated!

whateverweather
09-08-14, 05:26 PM
How long does it take for a character to be approved?

black shadow
09-08-14, 05:31 PM
Sorry Weather, I must have missed your post. I'll get a reply up soon.

Frozenaro
09-08-14, 09:50 PM
This is as good a time as any to ask when I will be getting any sort of reply then... Did I post it in the wrong place or are profiles only approved one at a time? Sorry to be a bother.

whateverweather
09-08-14, 11:06 PM
Thanks. I didn't mean to sound rude, I was just genuinely curious. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

The Stonecutter Cartel
06-10-16, 05:29 PM
So, let's say that over time, I have accumulated a lot of characters on this website. Like, A LOT of characters. And now I find myself with more time on my hands than I'm used to to play them. What is a reasonable number of characters to re-register? I don't know which ones I want to use, I just want to have them active and up to date in case I want to. I totally understand that its time out of people's day to re-add XP and gold and stuff, but I do want to do something with some of them at my leisure, if that makes sense?

Bard
06-10-16, 05:56 PM
Skie has like a hundred characters, just saying.

Max Dirks
06-17-16, 09:38 AM
Don't worry about the technical stuff, Stonecutter. I've got a copy of an old database with most EXP and GP amounts intact and it's fairly easy to edit those values. I'd just do as many characters as you're comfortable with.