PDA

View Full Version : Ixian Knights Mercenary Company: Nightmare Fiction

Tainted Bushido
02-05-11, 11:55 AM
Closed.

In eastern Akashima, there was a man who sat at a table. His face was obscured by a porcelain mask that had painted upon it the characters of seven virtues that he had toiled so long to embody. In his hand was a worn and weathered book, more than capable of talking about its experiences, even as the hand that held it was but a youthful one in the world. His stark white hair was in sharp contrast to the drab colors of his kimono, dirtied and nearly thread bare the garments showed his station to be that of a Ronin. While not unheard of in these times, a Ronin in this area held an extra stigmata, and because of this, the other patrons gave him wide berth.

It was a solitude that irked the Ronin to be honest.

Taka sat at the table quietly, occasionally sipping his tea as he slowly read through the stories, hoping to one day add a few of his own to the pages. He had been told that they would be here, Kachiko’s instructions had been nearly flawless so far, and he had no reason to disbelieve the beautiful geisha. Still, he kept his head down, so as to not attract attention, even as a group of men came in. The colder wind that blew through the door gave him a slight shiver as his eyes drifted up to occupants of the entry way. What he saw nearly made him pause, but for the sake of what he had come to do he continued his relaxed posture.

They were Ronin, their garb giving this away as instead of wearing the colors of a family; they were dressed drably, much like Taka. At their hips were the standard Katana and Wakizashi daisho that functioned as their only weapons. He recognized a few of them as veterans from the west, their demeanor giving this away, as with the death of their lord, and no new one to swear fealty to, saw many Samurai cast as Ronin. While the Samurai were a dying breed, even they understood the importance of having a Lord, and so probably were traveling to the east, in the hopes of the Duke Asakari allowing them to swear fealty.

Taka lowered his eyes to his book once more as he continued to read before he heard a throat clear in front of him. Taka ignored it, figuring it was merely the serving girl trying to be polite, and who would be on her way when he merely refused to acknowledge her. He was disabused of the notion when a rough hand reached out grabbed the book and set it sharply on the table in front of him. Taka felt the heat of anger rise to his cheeks, giving them a rosy blush in sharp contrast with the snow white locks of hair that adorned his head.

Before him stood the group of five ronin, an expectant look upon each one’s face. They appeared to be studying the smaller ronin by their standards, and it would be easy to see why. They were obviously well fed, for they had a much more muscular build to them. About half the group was eyeing him with their arms folded across their chest, the other half had hands near weapons, incase the young Ronin should grow violent. Taka smirked inwardly at the notion that they were so threatened by him. The leader however merely remained still leaning over the table with his hand on Taka's book, before he rather loudly cleared his throat again.

Taka gave him a polite smile as he spoke, <"Can I help you my friend? It appears that you are in urgent need of me, to so bother my reading, I had almost finished that story as well, a shame...">

Chuckling erupted from the group as Taka recognized the patterns. These men were employing common wolf pack tactics, one leader and a pack of dull witted wolves, surrounding and confusing their prey. One would try to claim leadership now and again, but the only truly dangerous one of the bunch, was before him. This man merely smiled as he asked politely, <"May I join you wave man? It is not often we see one of our kind alone in such a place.">

Taka gestured to the cushions about him as he said, <"Certainly, I would certainly be selfish to refuse the company of a fellow ronin.">

<"I had, thought as much. I actually was merely stopping in town, when I heard talk of a ronin in these parts. I of course had to investigate, for if a fellow wolf was running alone, I am duty bound to ensure his safety with the pack..."> The man said smiling.

<"A...wolf?"> Taka asked letting a hint of curiosity hit his voice. He had never been referred to as a wolf, and yet this man clearly referred to him in such a manner.

<"Ronin, wave man, wolf, it doesn't matter, we're called many things. We prefer to call ourselves wolves, for it is in packs that we guarantee survival my friend. A lone wolf is but a rebel looking to die, in a world that doesn't give a rat's piss about him. You obviously are a new wolf to these parts, and for that I offer my sincerest welcome,"> The man said as he grinned, his smile no less predatory for the jovial tone of his voice.

<"I see, I must of course accept your welcome, I am Taka,"> Taka replied as he nodded his head in respect. The man eyed him for a moment before he too returned the nod.

<"They call me, Akihiro, and it is a pleasure Taka. I am sort of the head ronin of these parts. Most of the other ronin look up to me, and I in turn take care of them, any job I take, I make sure the needy ones get in on. Like I said, a wolf alone dies alone, but a wolf in a pack, survives,"> Akihiro replied never dropping that predatory smile from his face.

Taka could tell what was going on. This man was recruiting, and Taka, being without a lord, was a perfect candidate. As he sipped his tea he remained calm, keeping the polite smile on his face as he replied, <"Must be a tough job, keeping so many mouths fed, huh?">

More chuckles escaped the pack's lips as the man leaned forward, <"I got a job, rather big one, I think a smart guy like you would fit right in with my company, what do you say? Join the pack, win a bit of glory for yourself and some food in your belly?">

Taka looked the man in the eyes as he searched for something in them. He couldn't tell what this man was hiding, but he obviously needed manpower. Why else would he be hunting down ronin to do the job? That alone set off warnings in the back of his head. Closing his eyes he sipped his tea, before he set the cup down and spoke clearly, his eyes opening and drilling into the leader's own, <"I shall need time to consider such an act, as I had plans in the making. I may not be able to afford the time of a job.">

The leader leaned back as he nodded softly, almost impressed with Taka's reserve, <"Alright, take your time, I'll be back within a week, if you're still here, I'll assume you want to sign on board. Till then I'll be around, feel free to seek me out.">

All comments in brackets < > are in Akashiman.

Enigmatic Immortal
02-18-11, 02:00 AM
Adolph lowered the letter to his desk as he watched the doorway to his personal chambers within the chapel of Ixian Castle open with reverence. A robed warrior stepped forward, head bent in humble greeting as he turned to shut the wooden doors softly. When the man looked back to Adolph he lowered the cowl to his robe and smiled warmly to the Reclussiarch of the Ixian Knights.

“Greetings, Adolph.” He took a seat before the desk of the head Chaplain, closing his eyes in silent comfort as he enjoyed the moment of relaxation. Adolph looked to the man with soft eyes, nodding to him as he stood up.

“Harold, well met.” He treaded over to his leather suit of armor that he wore over his robes and lifted up the torso harness. “I was asked by General Taka to help him protect a village from some Ronin bandits or something or other. I have accepted his request and will be heading out within the hour. In the interim, you will be in charge of the Chaplains. Keep the spiritual well being of our army together while I’m out.”

“Ah, so we at long last get a break!” Harold joked as he cracked a grin, sliding out of the chair as he walked the breath of the desk and twirled Adolph’s chair to face him. He jumped into the seat so it swung forwards, kicking his feet up and dropping them on the Coronian wood table. “No more marathon training sessions until we pass out, the ability to sleep in,” Adolph turned to the senior Chaplain, his personal friend, and gave him an angry stare.

“I expect you to behave, more than anything.” He muttered as he grabbed the gauntlets to his armor and placed them over his hand. Turning to his table he grabbed the steel chain and began to slowly wrap it around his arm, clipping the material to his ring at the middle of his wrist guard. The little bit of slack that remained had another clip, and he used that to clip his personal weapon Crozius to it. It was his staff of office, and his enchanted maul to smite the enemy with. With everything set he felt no need to dally any longer.

“Hey,” Harold said sincerely sitting upright and standing to meet the Chaplain at the corner of the desk. “Don’t die, Adolph. You’re the last friend I got.” He held his hand out, and Adolph grabbed him by the wrist pulling him in. They both clapped the other on the back as they hugged as brothers, before Adolph nodded to him.

“I can’t die, Harold,” Adolph said in a joking fashion. “I have far to much work to do.” The senior Chaplain nodded and laughed as he left, turning to the mountain of paperwork ahead of him. Adolph walked out his office and down the side of the pews in the Chapel as warriors of the Ixian Knight prayed to whatever god or Thayne they worshipped. Several of his battle Chaplains were sitting at the end of the building, having one on one conversations with lost members of the army that was employed by Sei Orlouge. Every now and then even the most dedicated soldier can lose his way, and it was his duty to help those wayward warriors find their way home.

In battle his Chaplains would be shining examples of what a soldier would be. They would preach with fiery oratory in the heat of battle, performing acts of valor and inspiring the lesser men to greater deeds with their fearless nature. It was his own speeches at the village of Valdta where he came up with the idea to create an elite unit of warriors to do these things. For three battles Harold and Adolph were at the forefront of the fighting, bellowing words to demoralize the enemy and encourage the villagers who fought for every bit of land.

Yet he had recently been finding someone coming to his sermons as of late. Aislinn Orlouge had made her presence a secret, but the Chaplain did not let much go by without his knowledge. He monitored her like she did him, and eventually the two started a friendship. When they were assigned on a mission together it was Adolph who stood before the Witch, a mound of bodies on the ground as he stood between her and the enemy. Though he did battle with one of the Primordial Enemy’s generals and lost, it was her healing touch that kept him alive. The loss did not deter the man either, but only empowered him. How shameful for the enemy to have to send one of their best warrior’s to silence the ramblings of the Reclussiarch. What an honor to fight one of the best of the enemy army.

That was what Adolph did, he thought with a smug grin. He would take anything the enemy took pride in, and turn it against them. The enemy troops at first found great sport in watching the Chaplain nearly be cut in twain by Shiroko’s blades, but when the warrior-priest bellowed how pitiful it was that such a man had been dispatched and how weak the enemy must have been to sit back and wait for someone to handle one man wiped the grin off their faces.

Now he would be put to the test yet again in the land of Akashima, and all hope did seem lost in that village, but that was why he agreed to go. He had saved Valdta from worse numbers, and he would do so again. With that purpose in his heart he nodded to nobody in particular as he stepped outside his chapel walls.

“Hello, Mr. Gretzle,” A voice spoke into his mind. The warrior-priest paused before looking around, until at last he felt a gentle paw touch his shin. He looked down to find Felicity, Aislinn’s sister. With a smile he knelt down so the cat could climb to his shoulder. Perched and purring Adolph set off again. “My sister would like to examine you before you go.” She mentioned to him off handedly.

“Oh, then I must go to her then.”

“Spoken like a true lover boy!” The cat teased meowing loudly in his ear. Adolph cocked an eyebrow and looked to her as he titled his head for her to elaborate. She purred again before leaping off his shoulder, walking in front of him with a certain flamboyant walk. She lifted her tail and rump high in the air as she exaggerated each step she took. “Adolph loves Aislinn, Adolph loves Aislinn!”

“Where did you conceive such a silly notion like that?” Adolph replied with a soft grin on his face, following the feline to the medical ward where the red head lived.

“It’s in the way you both look at each other. It tells me a story that goes something like this.” Felicity twisted herself around and walked backwards with the same sa-shay to her hips. “You want to hold her…you want to stroke her….you want to kiss her….you want to love her…you want to fu-” Felicity let out a violent cat noise as Adolph accidentally stepped on her paw. He gave her an apologetic grin as he bent down and grabbed the kitty by the scruff, caring her up the white cobbled steps that led to the garden pathway to the medical ward.

“Sorry,” Adolph muttered. Felicity just looked up to him with a sly smile. It looked rather cute coming from a cat.

“Well either way, I think it’s cute. You both could learn a lot from each other! And she needs to get laid badly.”

“I distinctly remember this plan getting Jensen killed.” The Chaplain thought recalling when the immortal was asked by Felicity to have sex with her Sister. The cat merely pawed his hand to be released, darting forwards. When they approached the doorway he was slightly miffed to find Aislinn standing in the doorway with Jensen teasing her much in the same fashion as Felicity. With hurried steps the Chaplain grabbed the immortal by the back of his neck and shoved him into a wall, taking his place before Aislinn.

“And if it isn’t the cock sucking lover boy now!” Jensen giggled like a school girl as he pirouetted to stand next to Aislinn lifting both hands up as if putting the Chaplin in a frame. “I still don’t see what you see in him. He’s far to angry and dour to be any fun.”

“Enough of your nonsense, immortal,” Aislinn sighed lifting a hand to her head and rubbing her temples. “Hello Mr. Gretzle,” Aislinn said softly smiling. The way her eyes looked to him could not hide the interest she had in him and he would be lying if he did not return those feelings, his heart stirring to be so close to her.

“Good afternoon Ms. Orlouge.” Adolph bowed his head to her politely. Jensen turned to Aislinn, her sister jumping upon the immortal’s shoulder as they both began to taunt her with cat calls and kissy faces. Adolph rolled his eyes as Aislinn merely motioned for him to enter her private room. He did so as he slammed the door shut on Jensen and Felicity’s faces with a grin to Aislinn, who returned the look before she stepped forwards timidly stopping before her desk and resting herself against it.

Adolph looked inside the room of the Medical Officer, seeing the dozens of books and posters on the wall and shelves. Her desk was packed with paperwork and folders, but still looked meticulously clean. He looked to her and both shied away as young lovers did, before Aislinn lifted her left hand to remove the strand of hair from her face.

“I wanted to see you before you go.” She spoke softly. “I would be lying if I did not have concern for you on this mission. I am worried that Ronin will get you killed.”

“Taka has taken great lengths to be a better leader, you should trust him,” Adolph replied with his stern tone. One thing the man did not tolerate was back talk to a superior officer, even from a senior officer. He had more than once butted heads with Zerith Dracosius on the issue, and even beat the mortality out of Jensen on several occasions. Aislinn looked to him before she nodded, waving a hand to dismiss the conversation.

“I understand,” Aislinn whispered. Adolph looked to her before softening his eyes.

“Though I would be lying as well if I didn’t say I would miss your company.” He lifted a hand to hers, grabbing it and feeling how soft her flesh was compared to his. Aislinn’s cheeks turned as red as her hair as she sheepishly smiled before lifting herself up quickly, kissing him on the lips. It was not a long or passionate kiss, nor was it lacking either. It was a simple declaration of her feelings for the Chaplain without getting overly excited.

He was still blown away by it.

“Then you are to come back to me, Reclussiarch of the Ixian Knights. And when you do I will give you a personal physical examination followed by dinner at the Hungry Hunter’s tavern in Radansath. If all goes well you will take me out to see one the new Zidane Cecil play that is in town. Is that clear?” She turned her back to him, full of amusement and mirth as she shuffled paperwork in her “In” pile.

“Clear as crystal, my lady.” Adolph bowed his head to her, letting her hand go as he walked towards the door. “Did you have a particular like for this door? I have a feeling pests are on the other side.”

“Oh, that silly thing? I asked to have it replaced days ago.” Aislinn of course was lying, but Adolph grinned lifting up his maul and preparing it.

“Hmm, then I shall handle this with all due haste on my way out. Thank you, Lady Aislinn.” Pulling back like a club he swung Crozius forwards with all his might, the enchanted weapons ability to inflict damage at five times his normal capacity sending a soft blue field of energy to the heraldic cross at the tip of the shaft. When it impacted the door it exploded forwards, the hinges ripping off and sending splinters of wood flying in every direction.

Jensen’s body flew with the door where both bounced along the floor, Felicity screeching and hissing as Adolph walked through the chaos as if nothing happened.

“That’s one for eavesdropping,” Adolph muttered to the immortal as he passed his unconscious, wheezing form.

The Soulforged
02-22-11, 03:09 AM
With a bit less grace than he had aimed for, Seed toppled out of his bed face first onto the hard wooden floor. He let out a sigh; he had hoped he would roll out butt first, and thereby save his face some pain.

Muttering a few curse words about daylight and how it could go shove itself up some God’s butt hole, he reached over and grabbed his clothes off of the floor. He took a sniff; marvelously they didn’t smell too bad. That was a bit odd, but he vaguely remembered buying new clothes since his old ones were pretty old. Then again, his new outfit didn’t exactly look very new either.

Whatever. He showered (somewhat), brushed his teeth (more or less), got dressed (in a rather ragged manner), and shaved (surprisingly delicately). He checked his red and black kimono, which was all this town sold as far as men’s clothing seemed to go. Not the red and black, the kimono part. There had been many different colors, blue and white, red and gold, black and white. Seed had just picked a color he had thought appropriate, though he wasn’t exactly sure how red and black fit that bill, he knew it did.

Yawning loudly, Seed shoved open the door to his room and stepped out into the very cheap hallway of the very cheap inn he was staying at. Well, it was either an inn or a brothel, and as he had received no company last night, he was forced to assume it was the former. As he walked by the front desk (consisting all of a table and a chair), he heard the man who sat there say something. Whatever it was, Seed didn’t care. He had had enough of this place.

His stomach growled hungrily. Sighing, he pulled his well-worn coin purse (that he found) out of his kimono. He checked his funds (most of which he had stolen), and was sad to see that it was rather low. That left him three options. Option one, find a legitimate job. That probably wouldn’t happen, he lacked most of the necessary qualifications for such things (being sober for starters). Option two, find an illegitimate job. He was a bit more qualified for those things, as those types of employers didn’t care too much for appearances. What mattered was if Seed could do the job, and he wasn’t horrendously bad at shady dealings. He could use the sword at his side somewhat, and wasn’t terrible with his knives. Maybe he could find a job as a guard? Those thuggish types always wanted an extra hand to scare people. It wasn’t completely out of his league.

Or, the final option, steal. It was probably the option he was best at, for the same hand-eye coordination he used when tossing knives could also be applied to pick pocketing; he did it all the time. Still, the only problem was that as a pickpocket, he never really made enough to stop. If he stole one day, it was more than likely he’d be stealing again three days later. Still, stealing was better than starving.

His stomach protested his thought process. Whatever option Seed decided to take, it was clear that he would have to eat first. Either that, or his stomach would implode from hunger pains, and Seed would be sucked into an invisible vortex because he could not maintain his own existence.

“Hey, it could happen,” Seed muttered to himself as he fished out a small knife. Every lousy restaurant looked the exact same in this damn town. No, scratch that, every damn building looked the exact same in this damn town. Well, he would just solve this particular problem like he did yesterday.

Holding the small weapon in the palm of his hand, he flicked the blade with his finger. The tiny knife spun about in his palm, slicing off only two layers of his skin. He waited for the knife to stop spinning before he said anything.

“You know, it does occur to me, that perhaps this is not the best method. Maybe, just maybe, spinning knives in my hand is not the sign of a well-thought out planned.” He tucked the weapon away and grinned. “NAHHHHHHH!”

His choice made, he strolled over towards what seemed to be a somewhat reputable establishment. Maybe. He couldn’t tell. On his way in, he passed several gruff looking men on their way. They were talking about something, or maybe someone. Seed really couldn’t catch all of it, and in any case, there were more important things to deal with.

Seed gritted his teeth, cracked his knuckles, and walked up to who he assumed was running this place. At least, the man sat at a table with a bunch of food and drinks behind him, so the logical deduction would be he was the owner. Licking his lips, Seed leaned over the table to talk to the man.

“Okay, pal. Clean and easy. I want something to eat, and something to drink. I don’t care what you give me, as long as it’s cheap and alcoholic. You get me?” Seed whispered to the man, looking him dead in the eye to reinforce his point. The man, who must have been a few years past his prime, replied in what Seed could only take as a stream complete nonsense.

“Son a bitch fisting a monkey!” Seed swore as he stamped his foot. “Stop talking like that this instant!”

More nonsense, this time a bit more hostile.

“No, I don’t speak Akashiman you dumbass! If I did, do you really think I’d be having this conversation with you? I would have walked up, ordered something, and let you be! Moron! Numbskull! Eggplant head!” The owner replied with a phrase that Seed knew for a fact was insulting, though he wasn’t exactly sure how.

“Okay, okay lamebrain. Let’s try this again!” Seed pointed at a bottle of liquor, and then at a strip of beef. “That! Give me that you old wrinkly piece of bacon! That’s right, I just called you an old wrinkly piece of bacon, and you can’t do a damn thing about it, because you don’t understand a word I said, do you?”

The owner handed over the items, and then politely told Seed to go piss off, which was something Seed understood completely, since he had been told it many times since he had arrived in this God forsaken land of babbling nonsense. And no, it was not his fault for not knowing the native language. Seriously, who on Althanas gave a damn about Akashima anyhow? It was never in the papers, not that he actually read the paper.

“Your mother eats goat turds,” Seed replied in mostly correct Akashiman as he tossed two coins on the table. The owner shook his head, and motioned for two more. Seed threw two more on the table, and then added in an impolite comment about the man’s daughter being a fat cow.

“I hate this country. Food’s good though,” He muttered as he grabbed a table, and began to eat his food. Much to the owner’s surprise, Seed used the chopsticks perfectly. The owner commented on this, not expecting Seed to understand.

“Yes, I know how to use chopsticks,” Seed laughed loudly as he replied back in Akashiman. “What do you think I am, some sort of foreign devil?”

Which, of course, was exactly what he was.

Tainted Bushido
02-27-11, 02:03 PM
"Akihiro-san, what did you think of him?"

The words drifted as the man led the cart of rice out towards the ronin's camp. Their march was made so as to cover the wagon, their sole source of food for the month, between the jobs at the very least. As they walked through the forest the leaves flitting in the occasional breeze Akihiro sighed before he looked upon the ronin who spoke up, "He is strong minded, perhaps too much so. He will be trouble, I fear."

"Should we kill him?" One of the others spoke even as his hand went to the hilt of his ono, the large axe strapped precariously across his back, ready for action in a mere moment.

Akihiro paused as he thought about the ronin Taka. Finally he looked back at the Ronin as he said, "We'll give him his shot when we reveal the plan. Things go well he should fit in, if not, no one cares about a ronin's death."

Solemn nods crossed through the band as they all agreed with those sage words. A few of them set about leading the horse off the path, in turn bringing their food on the correct path to reach camp. While the trail was new, it had already begun to die as the flora made way under the tread of boots; soon they would need to cover their tracks somehow, possibly with the help of a ronin Shugenja. A priest of the Kami might be able to hide them a bit longer, when the dukes of course came to take their share of the rice. Ambushing the collectors after it had been collected would mean no one would be the wiser.

However, this relied on the ronin in town not ruining it for them and telling anyone else of their plan. He would regret having to kill a fellow wolf, but such things could not be avoided. All that mattered was him and his men eating, anything else was merely a luxury.

~*~

Things started slow enough. At first the ronin had no one to join him, but before long a foreigner came to sit at the table. Resting his blade on the ground next to him he gave a nod to the Akashiman who returned it. Both men sat in comfortable silence as the man ran a hand through his brown hair and sighed. Patience was never the man’s strong suit, it was what had left the former blacksmith to join the Ixian Knights. Taka was honored that the man still trusted him enough to follow into the slightly xenophobic Akashima, and reminded himself that there would be those who did not choose to follow he would have to deal with. Lucas Brigs was a rather well built individual, not overly muscled, nor was he rail thin. He merely was, and for that the Ronin was grateful.

The next to sit at the table wore a cocky grin, even as he sat heavily upon the pillow that served for a chair. His face was ill shaven, looking more haggard and rugged than belied the man’s eye. He looked about the tavern with a keen eye, his blue orbs taking in everything before he nodded to Taka, who again returned the gesture. Axel Erikson was an intimidating figure to those who did not know the kind hearted man. Even then, the crossbow at his side seemed unnaturally accurate in his frail form. His strengths relied on him not being on the front lines, and that was his detriment. Still, Taka knew better than to look a gift horse in the mouth. Axel’s gifts were in areas the Ronin was ill prepared to belittle, given how effectively such gifts had eliminated foes and friends.

The last man to sit at the table was Adolph Gretzel, a man who had specialized in the kind of work that Taka was about to embark upon. Where the General Lacked experience, he made up for in earnest desire to better himself. In inviting the Head Chaplain of the Ixian knights he hoped to use that expertise on the mission. The man’s black hair was short and well kempt as usual, and his blue eyes were as piercing as they had been when they met. While Hoturi had tutored the man on the art of war, he had long since become devoted, becoming a force upon the field of battle.

Taka wasn’t sure if his presence would be a blessing or a curse.

Still, once the last of the foreigners had sat upon the table, Taka spoke up, “The man is certainly in a hurry. I believe he is trying to accomplish something in the near future, as he seemed insistent that I join his so called wolf pack.”

“Why so much manpower?” Brigs asked firmly.

“Ambush,” Erikson and Adolph said at the same time. Both looked to each other as the sniper grinned and leaned back from the table. Both looked to the Ronin for an explanation.

“It is getting late into the summer, with the fall the Imperial tax collectors wander from village to village to collect the yearly tithe. If they were attempting to ambush the forces, they would need larger numbers to ensure they out muscled the defenders. Erikson, how large a group would defend a typical caravan of enough size to seize rice from several villages?” Taka asked looking towards the Fallien man.

He carefully stroked the stubble on his chin before he nodded, “Ten guards at least, maybe half again if they decided to use a lot of bows. You gotta figure they’re looking to be a deterrent, not a real taskforce. That would just be a waste of resources. You’re looking at maybe fifteen tops. If the reports you said were true, they should easily have triple to four times that number.”

“Which makes me wonder why as well,” Taka replied.

“If that’s the case why the concern over this village, right here right now?” Adolph replied hunching forward.

“<Excuse me Samurai-sama, would you like some tea, or perhaps some rice for your guests?>“ The voice punched through the air as Taka forgot about the attendant. Startled by the yong girl he jerked visibly before he shook his head and sighed, looking to his men. It was embarrassing to be so engrossed in the conversation and leave himself so defenseless. Still he managed some semblance of composure, added by the mask that hid his features, and the fact he was tainted from the world.

“<One large serving of rice please, and a pot of tea,>“ Taka finally replied. The girl nodded before she bowed lowly and ran off to tell the cook of the order. Composure regained Taka looked to his men, “We need to begin the conscripting of the ashigaru, Adolph-san, please feel free to find anyone you think would be useful for the defense and bring them into our fold. Brigs-san, stay with me, Erikson-san begin preparations to move the supplies into town. We have less than a week to train these peasants to fight. I need to ask the locals for all information on Akihiro and his men, as Kachiko‘s report was sadly lacking in such information.”

“And what of the Town Elder?” Adolph replied firmly.

“Once I am done asking in here I will speak with him personally. From there we will need to prepare for war, I fear that this is more than just a small band of lowly Ronin seeking to eat.”

The chaplain nodded before they sped off to their appointed tasks.

Enigmatic Immortal
03-03-11, 06:40 PM
Adolph had thought Taka as one of those leaders who had no clue what he was doing. He ordered the men, made the preparations, but was just fundamentally unprepared for the reality of what real war was like. Like one of those generals who did everything by the book, and was thus out foxed at every turn.

One strategy meeting with the Akashiman native and he confirmed those suspicions. Taka had no clue what he was expecting, and so prepared in a manner that was sloppy at best. Find and train townspeople to fight trained warriors? Look for any, what was the term, Asigaru? The whole concept of looking for people who only knew how to pick rice made him want to scoff and question Taka’s orders on the spot. However, his place was not in a manner to question the leader. He was a warrior, and a Chaplain. He had to be the example to the rest of the army.

This brought him to the main street of the village they were protecting. Looking along the rows of neatly built wooden huts, seeing the faces of the youth who would create their army, and watching the strange glances at the robed warrior gave him one last parting thought before he wised up. This village was in better hands being burnt to the ground and removing all useful resources. Still, not all answers could be found at the end of a match.

Ending his negative thoughts the Chaplain began his earnest attempts at recruiting an army. An Akashiman was sent with him to translate what he said, but the man’s vocal scale was nowhere near as boisterous as the warrior priests. When Adolph began to shout to the people for their attention, the man merely spoke as if he was talking to a friend. When the Chaplain made a speech about rallying the forces together to stop the evil, the man said three words before sheepishly asking Adolph to slow down and not shout so much. It was rather annoying as he stopped preaching and just told the man what to say. Successfully, three warriors grabbed reed thin bows and joined him in the town center. Adolph lifted one hand to his forehead, wiping the rage from his face as he let out a silent seething moan of frustration.

“Could you perhaps, maybe shout a little louder?” Adolph said with forced calm. The translator looked to him, and then shook his head.

“That would be rude, as many people are working.” He spoke with such a thick accent, the warrior priest wasn’t sure if he heard him right. He waited, counted to ten, and then grabbed the man by the arm and lifted it upwards. “AI YA!” He protested.

“Repeat my words!” Adolph ordered.

“You are being rude! Do not touch me in such a manner!” The man looked like he was whimpering. Adolph cursed shoving him forwards out of his grasp. He looked to the town.

“TRADESPEAK? ANYONE? I’LL SETTLE FOR DWARVEN AS WELL!” His voice boomed over the entire street. All eyes looked to him, and he looked back with intensity. “For the love of…ANYONE SPEAK TRADESPEAK?”

“Hey, keep it down!” A voice replied back, slightly slurred as if drunk. Adolph had to turn to find the owner of the voice, a man in rather dirty attire with wild unkempt red hair. He was eating from a bowl with his fingers, a broken pair of chopsticks next to him. “Some of us are trying to eat in peace!”

“Good, make room for one more!” Adolph said in his most official tone, his boots kicking up dust as he walked towards the man. “We have much to talk about.”

The Soulforged
03-06-11, 11:52 PM
"I don't know how to tell you this pal," Seed muttered as he gobble down the rest of his rice, "but 'keep it down' is not code for 'join me.' Believe me, I would know."

"You look like a man who knows how to use a sword," The boisterous man began as he sat down. Seed's ears perked up; he was in dire need of a job. But, there was no point in telling that to whoever sat before him.

"And you look like a man willing to spend a little to gain a lot," Seed answered as he swirled his empty sake bottle about, and shoved his nearly empty rice bowl forward. The man sighed, and motioned towards the owner. Obediently, the man quickly replaced the rice and drink.

"I...ah, didn't actually do anything but wave him over," The man before Seed said with a frown. That elected a smile from the vagabond.

"Yeah, Akashima's like that. It's impolite to have to ask for more, cause that would imply bad service, or so I've learned. So you waving is code for more food. Best pay the man," Seed said as he began to eat and drink. The large whoever-he-was grumbled, but paid anyway. That took care of Seed's empty stomach, if nothing else.

"Listen, my friend. I would like-" The man began again.

"I don't even know you buddy. How could you possibly be my friend?" If it occurred to Seed that this was the way to go about impressing a possible employer, he certainly didn't show it. That being said, it actually didn't occur to him at all. The irony of using the word "buddy" to tell someone he was not his friend, however, did. It made Seed chuckle.

"You are correct. I am Adolph Gretzel," The man offered with a slight bow.

"Seed."

"Do you have a last name?"

"Eh. I'm not particularly attached to it, but Vicious will do. Or really, whatever suits you. Just don't call me Sally and expect me to dance the Lily Gold."

"I swear I will not," Adolph promised. "Now Seed, do you value good? Does the oppression of innocence boil your blood? Does seeing the weak be stomped open call you to battle? Does the idea of being a hero excite you?"

"Nope," Seed answered as he finished off his sake. He let out a sigh of contentment and patted his belly; he hadn't eaten that much in a while. Still, it seemed like the man before him was about to offer a job of the goody-two-shoes kind. While that didn't bother Seed per se (money was money), he had discovered that all too often the reward of the goody-two-shoes kind was a pat on the back, and a warm, fuzzy feeling inside your stomach.

An empty stomach.

"Allow to try a different approach then," Adolph began as Seed picked up his belongings and made to leave. "Does the idea of a full belly appeal to you."

Seed froze in his tracks.

"Go on," Seed said softly.

"I can promise you that you will be well fed during the fulfillment of your duty," Adolph promised.

"Seriously?"

"A warrior can not be expected to fight on an empty stomach. Such a thing would be absurd."

Whether through genius, or sheer luck, Adolph had hit upon a chord very close to Seed's heart. Or, as it were, his stomach.

"I'm in," Seed said without hesitation. "So, whatd'ya want me to do. Beat a guy? Off a guy? Beat off a guy? Cause, I don't swing that way. Just so you know."