PDA

View Full Version : Coup De Tat

Chidori Draconid
08-10-06, 10:07 PM
((Closed to Cyrus and Daggertail))

“Ready?”

”Yessir.”

“Set… GO.”

With that the three boys and three girls began their sprint to the dock in the distance. The white sand of the Corone beach was tossed up with every step. This wasn’t just any old race to the group of children. This was a battle of the sexes. If a girl made first place, the boys would have to say “Girls rule and boys drool.” If a boy made first place, the girls would have to say just the opposite. To keep things fair, two members of each sex in their teens, whom had made it past this stage in life, sat at the finish line. Unfortunately they weren’t paying any attention to the race as they were a distraction for each other, so the debate on who won the race ensued.

“What!?!? I was five feet ahead of you.”

“You don’t even know how long five feet is. If it was five feet you would have had to turn your head so far around that your neck would crack.”

“Nu uh!”

“Uh huh!”

“HEY.” The older male interrupted the argument and pointed behind the gathering of boys and girls. “Who made those footprints?”

The entire group of children turned around to see two sets of footprints. One was larger than the other, but they were both perfectly aligned as if those who left it were walking in perfect synchronicity. The larger set of footprints on the right was also accompanied by a couple of stabs in the sand perhaps caused by a cane. It seemed as though a couple had walked out of the ocean while the group was in the middle of the argument, but that was impossible… out of the ocean?

The street approaching the Citadel was quite busy tonight. As well it should have been for this night was the Festival of Radasanth, the festival commemorating the great hero the city was named after and all that he stood for. Just as the colossus bronze statue on the north side of the city depicted, the hero of Corone was a warrior, so it was natural for the Citadel to be the center of such a celebration.

Masses of people flowed to and fro like the dynamic current of the Niema River, carrying choirs of conversation with them. The various food vendors created a strange but pleasant melting pot of smells in the air. The stars were difficult to see tonight for the more light the terrestrial mortals produced the less the celestial immortals could be seen. Tonight Radasanth was luminescent to say the least. A giant celebratory glyph was painted onto the ground around the ziggurat structure of the Citadel, and it emitted a spectacular yellow light. Chidori Draconid cautiously tapped his foot on it.

“What’s it for?” The young deity said as he bent down to touch it. It was warm.

“Oh the rune?” Avakra’s voice could be heard a few feet away. “It’s just for decoration, really. They really out did themselves with the size of it this year.” She turned back to the betting table. “I’ll put one hundred on Eris Ririn.”

The racketeer looked at the young woman with disbelief. “Are you sure, madam?”

“You haven’t seen that little demon fight like we have.” Chidori said as he approached with a smile. “She’ll at least make it past this round I’m sure of it. We’ll start taking your advice afterwards.”

The racketeer handed Avakra her ticket and they both entered the building. The halls of the Citadel were familiar to both Chidori and Avakra although Chidori had only been there once and Avakra had been there countless times. That little fact made Chidori uneasy. He had spent all but the past few months in heaven living an easy life while Avakra spent her entire twenty three year life in the dangerous world of Althanas. The result, in his mind at least, was a battle hardened girlfriend and a pampered boyfriend. Many onlookers saw it as the exact opposite, but he knew better, so he found himself in a constant struggle to prove his masculinity in her presence.

For each arena entrance there was a crowd with a ticket man telling parties whether or not they were at the right match. After three tries the divine couple came to their arena, where everyone was offered a complementary Radasanth buckler. It was a humble souvenir piece made of waxed wood. In the very center of the circular shield was the statue of the city’s hero and around the edge a glyphic rune not unlike the one outside the Citadel. The two strapped theirs on happily and entered the audience area of the arena where they quickly found their seats near the front row. It seemed as though they were just in time. Within a few minutes the place was packed and the battle was about to begin.

Daggertail
08-11-06, 06:27 PM
So now I’m moonlighting as a gladiator. Eris admitted to herself with her heart pounding, one minute and she would have to go out and fight. No big deal, Eris had plenty of fights but this was in front of a crowd. How was she going to do this, She wasn’t one for doing anything in front of an audience.

“Ok Eris, think about the money.” She told herself as she looked at the ceiling. “they’re paying you for this and that’s if you don’t choke and die in the first moments and give a good fight. You can win this.”

but what will the crowd think of me? Eris silently asked herself as she grabbed her shaking tail to make sure the natural blade was sharp. “I, I’m pretty and skilled… W, What’s not to like.” She told herself before going about and sharpening her tail’s bone blade, it was pretty blunt and she better have it sharp for the fight.

“Eris Ririn, time to go out. You have the first match.”

I’m not ready. Eris thought but forced her legs to move and walk towards the door, her lithe tail hanging limp and only wiggling with each step. The hallway felt longer and bleaker than it was and the light further away. Eris ended up finding each step painful and went to a run to get it over with until she was in the open.

“Our first contestant: Eris Ririn!”

Eris blushed and made a rather meek wave for her normal self. She was nervous and not used to being nervous and being the one watched from the audience. Think about the money. Eris couldn’t help but look at the crowd and her crimson eyes fell upon a pair of familiar faces in the front row.

“Chidori, Avakra?” Eris asked in a whisper. Why were they there? Was it to show her support or just a coincidence. Eris wished for the former and even tried to make it true in her mind. Eris waved at the a little more confidently. They were friends, right? Despite all the selfish thought in the demon girl’s mind and that one of them could hear those thought that they were still friends. Eris hoped, they would be her only friends here, for the others merely cheered because she was a girl and there was some perverse satisfaction in seeing a girl fight, and probably beaten since she doubted anyone placed any money on her.

Cyrus the virus
08-14-06, 03:50 PM
"Stupid thing," muttered the mage as he looked upon the buckler. It was a souvenir, he supposed, but the thing represented a part of Corone society that irritated him; the hordes of sword-slinging idiots. The shield fell from his hands as he leaned back to observe the atmosphere around him.

He was in a seat in the upper area. In fact, he was in the farthest corner he could find, in the hopes that he could watch the coming battle in peace, with as little communication with the folk around him. Not that Luc was antisocial or anything, but he simply couldn't deal with idle chatter. It wasn't in him.

Unfortunately for him, he was a little too early, and had to endure the annoyance of simply sitting in wait. For a man who wasn't very capable of silent contemplation, or silence in general, it wasn't easy. Eventually though, the crowd filled out the seats and the battle was looking to begin. The announcer called the name of a woman, and when she came out, Luc realized that his seat at the back wouldn't do. He couldn't even make out her face from this distance. This battle would hardly be a cure for his boredom if he couldn't see the fight.

He got up and pushed awkwardly down the aisle, irritating many onlookers with his early blocking of their view. He ignored their complaints and came to the staircase, taking one at a time as he moved closer and closer to the front row. He swerved into the aisle as he reached the front row, moments before the second fighter was announced.

Luc went to the very center, to the very perfect seat, and stood directly in front of the man sitting there. He was a tall one, and about as wide as three Lucs, but the small man didn't seem at all uncomfortable as he kicked the man's foot. "Move it, I'm sitting here now."

When it looked as if the man was going to argue, Luc simply decided he didn't want to deal with it. He focused hard, and a condensed burst of wind exploded into the man, sending him flying back and over the top of his seat to land in the row behind him. Luc sat down in the vacant spot, knowing the man wouldn't want to deal with him any more.

Besides, he had money riding on the match, and wasn't willing to lose it.

Chidori Draconid
08-16-06, 09:52 PM
The arena itself was quite plane, a giant oval ring of golden sand rimmed with an auburn brick faced colonnade. The divine couple looked into the avenue of every dark arch of the battle stage for their pirate friend, but to no avail.

“Do you see her?” Avakra asked as she stretched her head up to search for Eris.

Before Chidori could answer he looked down to see a man lying at his feet. So that’s what that noise was. This man was ousted from his seat. The young deity stood up in surprise and followed the victim’s eyes to the man who committed the act a few rows behind them. It was an unrepentant man clearly older than Chidori and Avakra. He had an attitude, having refused to participate in the wearing of the shields, and possessing a look of bitterness in his emerald eyes. However, Chidori could have been wrong. He wasn’t a very good judge of character. That’s what Avakra was for.

“Sit up, sir.” Avakra said, “The first contestant is coming out.” She said with a smile as she pointed at the tall muscular man who entered the arena. He kicked up the golden sand as he walked about with pride, flexing his pale muscles and stretching his brown leather armor. He had several weapons sheathed on his back. The fellow reminded Chidori of the caravan of merchants and guards they raided with Eris. They too were equipped with leather armor and were much bigger than the three of them. If the divine couple and Eris could make easy work of nearly two dozen of these men, surely Eris could defeat this one fellow.

“You’d be afraid for me if I were out there.” Chidori said bitterly. Avakra knew what he was getting at. She expressed fear for him quite too often in his opinion, thus selling him sort of his ability to defend himself.

“You would have been out there if I were out there.” Avakra retorted with just as sharp of a tone.

Daggertail
08-18-06, 04:52 PM
“Now Entering, Manoel!”

Now it was time. Eris wasn’t quite ready for the fight but it wasn’t her choice. The man came through was dressed in leather armor, something for speed and protection of his rock hard body with raven hair. None of the way he looked or the way he moved made Eris think he would be hard; His motions were mostly about pleasing the crowd than being serious. He was confident and that was one more advantage.

“Wow a little girly, not even a warm up!”

Eris shook her head from being nervous before the crowd; she had this guy to worry about. “Um, that really wasn’t very clever. I know you’re more of the smash a girl with a rock kind of person but that’s no excuse for rocks in the brain!” Eris held a grin of victory, this guy’s an idiot and it’ll be easy to win and the crowd will love her for it. There’s no need to be nervous.

But tell that to Eris’ heart. She felt it pounding even though she could hear the frustrated screams of her opponent. Things were looking up, on a normal day Eris would feel as if she already won but there was still the feeling that she might fight in a way that the people would like. She was used to have the audience tied and gagged when she fought.

“I won’t let you get away with that, I’m the great Manoel!” Yelled the Great Manoel before he charged. This would be easy at least; the Great Manoel really did have rocks in his head.

The leather-clad fighter came at the half demon with only her clothing but Eris stood her ground while drawing her blade with a wicked smile on her face. She met the charge by graceful step to the side and a swipe of her blade. It was going to be too easy.

Maybe not, Manoel deflected Eris’ blade with yet another sword. It might not be so easy. The swordsman made a counter at the demon girl’s thighs but she blocked with her left hand.

“Ow that’s sharp!” Eris yelped as she felt the blade bite through her left hand’s natural plating. His other blade came in but Eris parried with her own sword and left them at a stalemate. Actually Eris had the advantage with a third weapon that she was ready to use, the bladed tail lashed at Manoel’s leg and Eris laughed grimly as she felt the fight was hers.

But then the warrior lifted his leg and snapped it down on the hybrid’s tail causing the girl to scream. It wasn’t fair but maybe she was outmatched, her bloody claw faltered and the right blade of Manoel was free to do what it will.

Eris jumped back but not in time to avoid the blade coming for her belly. Again the demon girl cried in pain as she retreated, dripping blood down her left leg. He might win.

After the quick retreat, Eris fell to her knees, her face blushing as she heard the crowd cheer for blood; they liked seeing the girl bleed and enjoyed the fact she was going to lose. “No, this isn’t fair.” Eris cried to herself. “Please don’t hurt me anymore!” Eris begged to Manoel.

“You hurt my feelings, I won’t show mercy!”

The warrior crept up to the demon girl with his blade ready to draw more blood, he stood over the wounded while making sure she was in his shadow. “I knew a girl wouldn’t be even a warm up.” He said down to Eris before moving to salute the crowd. But that was all Eris needed. Before he could finish his pose he fell to his knees with blood pouring out his chest, the tail had pierced through the armor and his lung. There was nothing he could do to defeat Eris except fall, and he did falling on the girl.

“Hey Get off!” The demon girl yelled but he did not listen, only coughed up some blood. “Eww that’s gross, get off, now!” Eris struggled but his dead weight was too much for the wounded girl. Still Eris pushed as hard as she could before she could finally roll the dead guy off and freeing her tail from his chest.

“Ow that really hurt.” The part succubus complained to the now dead guy. He had fallen for her trick, really easily. I hope they’ll pay me good for this, I really need the money.