PDA

View Full Version : A time for Training

Tom
08-10-06, 10:11 PM
Roland was around the outskirts of a small town and swung his sword around pretending he was slaying a group of orcs. He needed to get his practice so he would be able to fight anything that got in his way in finding a cure for his sick father. The boy grunted as he swung left and to the right, ups and downs. His style was absolutely horrible. If he was truly fighting a group of orcs, he’d be dead for sure. The boy was in real need for a trainer. Yes, the boy did know a few tricks, but his father wasn’t the best swordsmen and couldn’t teach him too many useful skills.

With one large swing, Roland lost his balance, going wide eyed before he hit the ground with a thud. His weight must have shifted wrong, because he hit the floor with a quick spin. The boy slowly got on his feet and whipped off his fresh cuts from the pebbles in the dirt. Roland clenched his teeth in pain, but he still held his head eye. There was no way he was going to cry from a small scratch.

His father always told him to stand tall, no matter what was to happen to him. You were never to show your weakness to the enemy, for they will surely use it against you. Roland practiced a few more swings and lost his balance once again. This time he lost grip on his sword. He then started to growl “Ggggrr DAMN IT!”

Roland kicked the dirt with frustration and picked up his sword giving it a good toss. The iron broad sword twirled in a circling motion and stuck right into an old rotten tree trunk. Rolling his eyes, Roland just cussed again and yanked the sword from the tree. A bunch of termites started to ooze out of the rotten wood like a water leak. The boys face became a shade of green and he quickly took a step back.

It took him awhile to get brave enough to smash the bugs from his sword, while doing so, three shadows caste over him. Roland slowly turned to see three bigger men grinning at him.

“Looks whats we’s haves heres boyz!” One of the men grunted before giving Roland a hard shove. “Fresh meats!”

Roland fell back from the man’s hard shove and he could suddenly feel the burns against his elbows. Quickly getting up, he reacted quickly by randomly swing his sword.

The three men just laughed and dodged with ease. Before the boy knew it, he was shoved again. “The Boy can’t even fight. I say we steal that nice sword of his.”

“Yez whats a goods idea!”

“Leave me alone!” Roland demanded with narrowed green eyes of fire. He was just pushed to the ground again and laughed at.

Ectonis
08-10-06, 10:36 PM
Ectonis had been recently shipped to a small town in Nowhereville. He was sent by his church to preach at one of their smaller buiildings. He absolutely hated it here. Everyone drank, mothers, fathers and even the kids. They drank at work, school and yes... at Church. Oh how he utterly despised it. He just smiled, and did the best he could, which he always did.

He had been with this smaller church for weeks now, and he only really had one major problem. A drunken man started off on how 'yer gawd' screwed him out of everything. How he had been reduced to a pig farmer, yet Ectonis had a full suit of Steel Platemail. Ectonis at first didn't pay him any attention, but the man got louder. "Yeah, dats right ya got tamn too god, gawd fearin' giraffe-lookin son of a b..." Ectonis had punched him square in the nose, much to the shock of everyone.

"You get out, and get out now." Ectonis looked down on the man, "Or else I will throw you out." The man looked at the puddle of blood, spat on Ectonis's armor and ran out, screaming curses. Ectonis was always a cool man, but the drunkard had gone too far. He had insulted the very thing Ectonis stood for, and thus he had insulted Ectonis. The man was unharmed, save for a headache the next morning, and he apologized, saying "Thankya for jaggin me in ma nose, der preachah. Do say I needed it...."

That was awhile ago, and Ectonis now found himself inside his residence. He still wore his armor(he always did while preaching) and had delivered his sermon only a few minutes ago. He decided now would be a good time to go and explore the outlying areas. He almost stripped his armor off and left his sword, remembering it to be the sabbath, but he had heard recent talks of bandits lately, and decided the Light would be happier with an Armored Paladin on the Sabbath than a dead one.

He stepped out into the sunshine, and began to travel down the road. He was really going nowhere and particular, and was just enjoying the day. His thoughts were filled with his speech this morning, it was about protecting those who have less than you, and not wanting anything in return. How...ironic.

He suddenly noticed three thugs picking on a man. He stopped in his tracks, about 50 feet away, and shook his head. The thugs were pushing and shoving, and as Ectonis got closer, he realized that it was a boy. The bastards were picking on a kid.

I say we steal that nice sword of his. One of the bandits called. Ectonis was now only a few feet behind them, and his bulky shadow covered them completely.

"Pardon?" He asked calmly, shocking the bandits and making the middle one jump nearly out of his skin. The massive paladin put his arms around them, in a mock-friendly(actually quite hosile) embrace. "I do believe that sword belongs to that little ole' boy you're pickin' on, there."

Tom
08-10-06, 10:53 PM
Roland was starting to shake in fear when the three bandits started jabbing at his sword, but the boy continued to keep it away from them. His eyes caught a glimpse of someone behind them; it was a rather built fellow.

The three bandits really seemed to be scared now. What was this man that they feared so much? And why exactly did this man choose to hug them? Roland for sure wasn’t going to be that kind; instead his slid the blade of his dull sword across the middle man’s Achilles tendon. It was seconds before the man howled in pain and dropped.

Roland hesitated not a second before he was on top of that stupid bandit punching him straight in the nose. His punches weren’t that deadly, but after getting hit about five times, it would really start to hurt. Roland just wouldn’t stop pounding on the poor guy. The bandit continued to scream in horror as blood stained the dirt. “You’ll never take my father’s sword!” The boy repeated himself a few times while punching the fellow.

After the bandit took a good beating from the small kid, Roland grabbed his sword and placed it to the man’s throat.

Ectonis
08-10-06, 11:09 PM
The small child went hogwild on the middle bandit. Ectonis smiled, remembering his days that young. The other bandits made moves toward the boy, but Ectonis squeezed his arms together, and they found their necks stuck in a headlock. The Paladin laughed and growled in their ears; "You leave that little boy alone, or I'll knock your head straight offa' your shoulders." The bandits struggled, but his grip was held fast.

The bandit held in his left arm started to flop like a fish. He clawed at Ectonis's hand, and stomped his feet. The Paladin just watched the boy wreak his revenge until he felt a sharp sting in his lower leg. The bandit had kicked his shin, and the vibration through his armor was slightly less than pleasant. Ectonis grimaced and threw the other bandit to the ground.

He lined his fist up, and sent it straight into the nose of the bandit who kicked him. The smaller man was sent sprawling backwards into the dirt as, in one swifrt movement, Ectonis unsheathed his massive blade. It whirled about his head, much like a sword half its size. He stopped the momentum instantly, the point against the bloodied thug's body. "Leave...." Ectonis said, his voice as hard as stone.

At this point, all three bandits were on the ground. One to sword point, one shaking off a violent throw, and the other was being pummeled by a pre-pubescent would-be warrior. "Al-wight, you heard him, men." The bandit said, as they stood, dusted themselves off and left. Quite hastily, Ectonis noted...

Tom
08-10-06, 11:21 PM
Roland did eventually get off of the poor bandit after nearly knocking him senseless. That was around the time when the bigger man started to have some trouble with the other two. The boy watched amazed as he threw these guys around as if they were light as features, ah, what he would give to be able to fight like that.

His eyes followed the scattering bandits as they took off. They were most likely going to hunt him down when this man wasn’t around. What was he anyway? His whole body was armored like some kind of iron golem. Was he a soldier of some kind, or perhaps a guard?

The thoughts continued to linger through his mind as he turned his face away and murmured. “Thanks….”

Roland really felt weak because he was shoved around by those three men. If only he was skilled like his father and could fight worth a few golden coins. Heck, if he could fight like this giant soldier in front of him, he wouldn’t have to ever be scared of anything.

The boy held the sword at his side and looked the other direction; it was like he was scared to look this man in the eyes. He acted as if he did; his soul would be sucked right out of him. “What are you?” He finally asked after taking awhile to build the courage.

“Are you going to take my father’s sword too, cuz I’ll fight you till the end for it. I won’t let you take it, no sir….”

(Closed to everyone but Ectonis)

Ectonis
08-11-06, 12:17 PM
Ectonis let out a small chuckle. Oh how this young whelp reminded him of his young years. He placed a heavily armored hand on the boy's dirty hair and brushed it from side to side. The paladin knelt, and was now at Roland's eye-level. Sensing the fear the boy had, Ectonis lightly pushed the boy's chin up, and now they stood(knelt) face to face. "Well, boy, I'm not a thief, so you can put your sword away, cause I won't steal it. I'm actually the local pastor."

Ectonis rose, a bit of stiffness in his aged bones, and groaned. "C'mon, kid. I'll take you to my house, you look hungry." he looked at the boy. "Can you even use that thing, son?" The massive man chuckled and placed his hand on the boy's head, ruffing up his hair again.

Ectonis placed a warm arm over the boy's shoulders and began to lead him back to the Paladin's residence. It was only a small walk, but the boy seemed a little sore from the rumble. "Hold on," Ectonis said, raising one hand into the air, grasping a ball of pure white light and crushing it in his hand. Spark-like lights exploded and quickly began buzzing around Roland, filling in to ever scratch, scrape and bruise. After the healing was over, Ectonis and the boy continued on.

Tom
08-11-06, 12:30 PM
Roland felt kind of comfortable now that this larger man did not intend to hurt him. He was a pastor, since when could a pastor fight like that and wear plated armor? The boy just shook off that idea and looked the man in the eyes. Just him kneeling down meet the boy’s height. He was huge, this man must be very powerful, more then he looks.

When Ectonis muffled his hair into a mess, Roland gave his head a quick twitch to fix it. Putting his sword on his belt, he looked at his groaning stomach. He was kind of hungry, and this man offered him a meal. Beats trying to steal something to eat like he did earlier. When he stole an apple from the market, a man caught him and called the guards. That’s why the young boy wasn’t anywhere near town. He didn’t want to be caught by the town’s guards.

The pastor once again scrubbed his hair with his giant fingers causing the boy’s hair to stick up in a mess once again. Roland sighed, fixing the scruffy mess with his hands. Its bin awhile since he’s had a hair cut, he was about do for one.

“Hold on.” The bigger man told him, so Roland listened and remained still.

Bright lights filled into his hands and before the boy knew it, it was all around him healings his scratches and bumps. Roland’s eyes sparkled in amazement. “How did…” Roland looked up at him. “How did you do that?”

The man didn’t seem to answer him right away. Roland just followed along side the man waiting for an answer. “Could you teach me?”

This spell or magic of his could come in real handy if he was cut up like before. Couldn’t be that hard, well the pastor didn’t seem to have much difficulty with it.

Ectonis
08-11-06, 01:23 PM
The fear drained from Rolands eyes like water drains from a funnel. Ectonis was pleased that he didn't bring fear into the young man's heart. The questions filled Ectonis's mind, and he just kept walking, almost as if he didn't hear them, but after a minute or so, the silence ended and his powerful voice answered. "I did that because I have a very close tie with the Light. As for teaching you? I probably wouldn't be able to do that. It took me 43 years to get where I am today, and I can only heal the most minor of wounds.

They walked on, getting closer to the town, now. "So how old are you, son? Whats your name, even..." Ectonis bluntly asked, coming to a sudden realization that they hadn't even exchanged names, and he was already inviting the kid for a meal. Such was the way in his trade, give first and ask questions later. Ectonis continued his statement, "Because I am Ectonis, Paladin of the Church of Light." The very skies seemed to brighten and bloom at the statement.

They continued to walk down the dusty trail until they reached the outskirts of town. Ectonis recieved many waves, hellos, gdays and salutes(from the guards) as well as an occaisional point to the boy. He replied to each with a wave, nod, or tap of the boy's shoulder. It was only a matter of minutes from there until they reached a stone and thatch cottage.

For Ectonis's apparent wealth(sword and armor) the house was very small. It was a single bedroom with a fire-place and table with 2 chairs. The table was very high, and the bed very long, to accomodate Ectonis's size. There was a cauldron over the fireplace with a bubbling broth of stew in it. A small reddish fire danced below it, and Ectonis promptly sat down and began to unbuckle his armor.

Tom
08-13-06, 09:29 PM
“So I have to have a close tie to the light? How do I do that?” He asked questionably, hopefully he wasn’t asking the man too many questions. Some people would start to get annoyed by it.

His name. “Oh,” He said shyly in a low tone. “My name’s Roland. Roland Blacksmith and I’m just a kid….”

The young boy Roland walked along side this man Ectonis the whole way to his house. On the way he noticed random people pointing at him. They must have known he was the boy that stole the apple. The town guards seemed to have a liking to this man and their attention was aimed toward him. All this made the boy feel uneasy, so he tried the best he could to hide behind the paladin.

When they made it to the man’s home, it wasn’t exactly what Roland had expected, but why complain. If the man wanted to live in a place like this, that was his choice. Roland’s eyes scanned the area. “So………ummm…….” Roland didn’t really know what to say.

Ectonis
08-14-06, 02:08 AM
Ectonis chuckled, heaving large breaths and sweating profusely from his forehead. He was getting too old for this, and made note of it to Roland. "Arrh, My old..." He took another deep breath as a leather strap groaned, popped and was unbuckled, "bones aren't what they used to be." He removed all of his armor, taking ten minutes in full. Eventually is armor was stacked neatly, and he began to polish it(between conversing and cooking.)

Another buckle snapped off as he answered Roland. "A close tie to the Light? That can't be taught, it has to be here." Ectonis pounded his chest lightly. "I can open that door to you, but you must bathe yourself in faith." Manners quickly returned to him as he pulled his arm-plating off. 'What about your father, kid. Is he a religious fellow?" Ectonis asked this with sincerity, but he didn't realize the boy's predicament.

The stew was bubbling, and Ectonis had recently placed some un-baked bread dough in it. The dough would rise and steam, making a sort of soft-heeled roll. blurps of brown broth spilled over the side, ran down and splattered into the fire. Ectonis had finally removed all of his armor and awaited the boys' replies.

Tom
08-15-06, 10:47 PM
After standing for awhile, Roland’s legs began to ache so he helped himself to the heavy wooden chair in front of him. Hopefully Ectonis wouldn’t mind. The paladin told him that the magic of light is built from the heart, a pure spirit so to say, was Roland light enough to practice such a thing. He only stole when he had to and would never harm a soul unless in self defense. It all started to seem difficult trying to understand this whole magic thing, but it was rather interesting. Roland would give anything to learn how to do such a thing.

Some more questions rose from the boy’s head and he blurted it out without even thinking it over first. “What if someone is evil? Is it your duty to destroy them, even if they aren’t causing any cruelty or naughty deed?”

Ectonis asked about Roland’s father. The boy was quiet a moment; he really wasn’t sure what to say. “My father was a blacksmith. He usually crafted swords and axes for the king’s army. His pay was horrible, because sometimes he couldn’t even bring us bread. They ripped him off of his talent. He deserved more then what he made. Now he rest in bed waiting to die. The priest said there is no cure and hasn’t a clue of what kind of curse my father is plagued with. That’s why I ran away, hoping to find a cure even though the odds are rare of my success.”

Then it struck him, this larger fellow might make him go back home, so he immediately jumped from his chair and looked the man right in the eyes. “Please don’t make me go back home. Yes, my mother might miss me, but I’m not going to just sit and watch my father die in a permanent rest. The pain is just too unbearable. I can’t … just let him die..”

Roland’s eyes shined as a watery substance started to fill inside them. The liquid became heavy and started to run down his cheek. Not wanting to look weak in front of this man, he quickly rubbed his eyes with his shoulders.

“Please don’t make me go back…” He pleaded once more as he looked to the ground in sorrow. “I’ll do anything to bring my father back into the man he once was. I just need a miracle to find a cure that might be somewhere out there, I just have to find it.”

Ectonis
10-16-06, 03:03 PM
Ectonis continued to stir his stew. It was filled with beef, carrots and other hearty vegetables. "If someone else is evil? Well, that, son, is a unique situation. It isn't always my duty to destroy them utterly, but more to..." Ectonis removed his wooden spoon and hesitated for a moment. "More to bring them to the light, so that they may cleanse themselves. I will show them the path to goodness, if given the chance." He hesitated again, seeing a tad bit of confusion in the boy's eyes. "I can't just slaughter them on the spot, or else I'd be more evil than a troll."

The poor young soul poured his heart out, telling about his old man. Tears welled in Roland's eyes, and a soft spot was hit in Ectonis. This boy was losing his father, and Ectonis had never had a son. The noble paladin felt awkward and ashamed thinking of this, but he would do it. Ectonis would train Roland to fight on his own. He would teach him the code, and teach him to look out for those who haven't a sword or dagger. Yes, he would do it.

"Easy.... easy now, I didn't mean to offend you." Ectonis's mighty paw patted Roland's moist shoulder. "I won't make you go home, you'll just run away again." Ectonis forced out a laugh, trying to cheer the kid up. He wouldn't tell Roland that he would train him yet, instead, it was time to eat. Ectonis stood, stretched and subconciously ladled some soup into bowls. "How much do you eat, kid?"

Taskmienster
06-13-09, 02:04 PM
This thread has been sitting for a full year. Since no response has been made to create activity I am going to be moving this. If you would like it to be reopened please feel free to PM myself or another admin and they will be able to move it for you back to Scara Brae.