PDA

View Full Version : Challenge at the Zirden [open]

Cage
08-12-06, 06:23 PM
“Scara Brea, a city second only to Radasanth in variety. I would say the most interesting places would be the queen’s palace, the Dajas Pogoda, and the Zirden. The queen’s palace will have all the wealthy aristocrats, the nobles and knights and the queen, of course, as well as all the working peoples. The Dajas Pogoda is run by people similar to the Citadel’s monks and is quite the attraction to up and coming fighters. The Zirden sometimes hosts tournaments, but it’s mainly a place to have settle disputes by the way of duels. I think you would be most interested in seeking audience with the queen, rubbing elbows with the higher ups. The other two are frequented by self-styled adventurers, low-borns and criminals alike.”

Standing off to the side, Cage was suspiciously eyeing people walking past as the young lord listened avidly to Kinir. Kinir seemed to know a little about everything, out of personal experience, Cage doubted, more likely making it up and feeding it to his charge. Cage was not so ignorant, he’d heard some rumors about this place, a home for gangs and pirates and criminals of all kinds, it was not someplace they should have been visiting but Kinir had mentioned it in passing and the lord had insisted.

“Why would I want to meet some wrinkled old crone? I want to go somewhere fun. Take me somewhere fun. Now!” The young lord was always so bossy, Cage didn’t have the rights to resist his orders and Kinir was far too poor to afford not to, the whims of an eight year old guiding their destinies.

“Well, off to the Zirden I guess. Follow me.” How Kinir seemed to know his way about was unknown, but he did. It took only minutes for them to reach the building known as the Zirden. It was two stories high, the outside made of large carved stones with spots hollowed out to contain carved statues of famed fighters known to have graced the arena, or anyone with enough gold to buy a statue of themselves. Walking through a pair of large arced doors, a marble counter was littered with papers detailing the scheduled fights and various fees associated with arranging matches, watched over meticulously by a small mousy man with thick glasses and a nasally voice by his beady brown eyes.

Showing a confidence surprising of an eight year old, the lordling marched up to him, “I’m here to participate. I mean, Cage is here to participate, that one over there, the ugly one.” The man behind the counter opened his mouth to turn him away, but closed it rapidly upon seeing a hundred gold slapped down on the table. Kinir knew how these men worked, thinking a child had no conviction, but gold showed exactly how adamant he was. “We don’t charge to participate, but I should warn you the only fighter available at the moment is a champion. He’d tear your man apart, the last guy has been in the hospital for over a month and still isn’t right, and they can heal the dead! Perhaps if you’d like to wait for a challenger…”

Lord’s weren’t known for their patience, children doubly so, but rules were rules. “Kinir, go find someone off the street to fight, offer them a hundred gold if they win. If you don’t find someone in five minutes, Cage gets ripped apart by the champion.” Without another word the child crossed his arms and marched through the smaller doors to find seats for the match.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-13-06, 09:12 PM
Faith was walking down the streets slowly, avoiding all eyes as she continued her slow movement. Maya walked beside her as well, the wolf's padded feet kicking up small puffs of dirt as they padded down the road. Faith's hand was resting lightly on Maya's head and the wolf's head was lowered submissively.

Faith had on her hat and cloak. The leather hat she wore covered her pointed ears and neatly hid the black locks that were tucked into it. Every ten minutes or so, the elf maidan would pull the brim down subconciously, making sure it covered her pretty feminine eyes. The emerald colored cloak on her back covered both quiver and bow nicely. The hand that wasn't resting on Maya's head rested on the pommel of her sword, her fingers running nervously over the wearthered stone wolf's head.

To any outside observer, the elf woman looked like a well muscled human man. Just as she wanted.

The wolf stopped walking and Faith paused along with her. Faith's hand tightened around the hilt. Her sensitive ears heard the sound of feet running across dirt. She didn't look toward the man who was running in her direction, instead knelt down and faced her wolf-friend, as if checking her over for injury.

Watch him Maya.

Aye. He looks tired and flustered. Smells it too. The wolf responded telepathically, nudging Faith gently with her head.

"Excuse me, sir?" The sound came from right above her. Maya began to growl deep in her throat, the hairs on her back raising as she snarled defensively at the stranger. Faith stood and turned to face him, not raising her hat or her eyes.

"Yes?" The elf responded, keeping her voice deep and masculine.

"We are looking for someone to fight my companion. Our lord wishes to see him fight. If you win, he will give you a hundred gold." The man told her, his voice husky. He sounded as if he had been running and talking very quickly.

It didn't take her long to think about it. She could use a hundred gold. She needed more rations and provisions, and she would like a dagger to keep in her boot for emergencies.

"Aye, I'll fight this lad. Under one condition, however, we fight outside, preferably in the woods." Faith responded in her gruff voice.

Maya grinned one of her lupine grins, showing all of her teeth. Her eyes danced. This boy didn't know what he was getting himself into.

Cage
08-13-06, 10:13 PM
“My lord, I have found a willing challenger, although there is a condition. He requests that the fight take place in Brokenthorn Forest, the woods just outside the city. He also seems to have a pet wolf, something you might be interested in seeing. It’s quite rare to find them domesticated. Should I continue searching?”

Pausing for a moment, the young lord pondered over the situation. On one hand, he didn’t want to go somewhere else because someone else told him to go there, but he did want to see the wolf. After several seconds he announced his decision, “Very well. Tell this man we shall fight in the woods, but in a spot of my choosing. Come along Cage.”

Trailing behind sullenly, Cage was dreading the upcoming fight. His master was walking brazenly through the woods just behind the Zirden, taking no care to cover his tracks and cursing every branch or root that dared offend him, fully expecting to be amazed by the wolf and entertained by Cage’s defeat. He, of course, expected Cage to lose because he was a servant and pitiful and a lesser being. Cage took no pleasure in fighting, but he had no intention of letting himself get hurt and beaten for some child’s pleasure. It made him uneasy that Kinir was selecting an opponent as he often took out his own displeasures with particularly brutal lessons, leaving Cage with the distinct feeling he would experience the famous care of the hospital first hand.

Finally they arrived in a cleared space, a single white tree dominant in the center, demanding attention. On closer inspection the tree wasn’t naturally white, several spots having small charred rings. The ground around the tree lacked the natural flora common to forests, the dirt a fine sand-like grain mixed with ash. Most likely lighting had caused a fire and only this single tree remained somehow, though it no longer lived.

A rustling from the south and the sound of snapping twigs underfoot announced Kinir’s return. “I informed him of your consent, he should be right behind me. This is quite a bit out of the way, don’t you think?” Taking a seat on the ground, Kinir laid back nonchalantly with a smirk on his face a glint of malice in his eye, knowing what was in store for Cage. The boy appeared less comfortable with sitting on the floor, of all the undignified things, but his nobility wasn’t in question out in the woods so it mattered little.

Cage’s face was dark, he dwelled on what was about to happen, more than a little nervous about his first true fight. Restlessly he paced back and forth across the grotto eerily similar to a caged beast, waiting impatiently for his opponent.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-14-06, 01:03 PM
Faith followed Kinir just out of ear-shot, adjusting her hat once more. She followed the trail easily and silently, her lineage shining through. Tracking and fast silent movement was part of who she was.

She wasn't following him outright. The instincts inside of her screamed that was nothing more than a trap. Walk right into a battle without even obseving your opponent first? It was lunacy. So she had drifted into the shadows and allowed herself to disappear into it's midst.

The woods were beautiful as she moved easily through them. The music of the birds and their songs echoed through every leaf and bough. The sounds were comforting to her, as was the clean smell of fresh dirt and the feel of the wind on her face. She closed her eyes, all but feeling the woods in her veins. It felt good.

Maya stalked a little ways away from her, raising her nose to the slight breeze. Her onyx eyes glittered as she made her way through the trees with ease. She felt at home here, moving silently through the shadows of the wood, feeling the good hard soil under her claws. This was her enviroment, not the dusty hustle and bustle of the towns. She snorted indignantly from thinking about it and returned her thoughts to the upcoming fight.

When Faith and Maya came to the edge of the clearing, they skirted around the edge. Faith could still see the small party, but she didn't want to come up right behind them. Instead she moved until she was almost directly across, taking in the companions.

One had the hardened look of a warrior of some kind, someone who had spent a lot of time fighting. There was a young boy sitting with his arms crossed and a bored expression on his face. This was the lordling, no doubt. A spoiled brat who thought he could pay to see another's misery. Maya snorted, agreeing in Faith's disgust.

The last was a boy, no older than eighteen. He had a fierceness to him that surprised Faith. The golden eyes of a hawk, dark brown hair of a bear, he resembled more beast than human. This was to be her opponent?

He doesn't smell human. Maya snorted again, suspiscious.

"That's because he's not..." Faith said very quietly.

Silently, the elf surveyed her surroundings. Shivers went up her spine as she saw the scorched landscape. Fire was the greatest fear of all woodsfolk, fire could take away everything had, your home, your family, you friends. It turned the land into a dead wasteland. She shook her head, closing her eyes. No... that wasn't true.

With a careful movement she bent down and placed her hand against the earth. She could feel the roots pulsing down in the ground, the life flowing through them. Surging, growing, rebuilding.

In silence, she stood and unslung her bow, stringing it. With quiet graceful hands she drew an arrow from her quiver and placed it to the string. She stood like that for a few moments, arrow resting on the taunt string of her bow. Finally, she pulled back, aimed, and released.

Her arrow flew true. The shaft traveled in a straight line, finally burying itself in a tree across the clearing... After whistling right over the young boy's head.

What was that for? Maya asked, cocking her head.

Fun. Faith replied, smirking.

Maya flashed Faith one of her own wolfy grins, her long canines glittering in the speckled sunlight.

Come on, let's introduce ourselves. Look feral. Faith stood shrugged her shoulders a little, adjusted her hat, and looked down at her friend, who gave a small nod. Faith gripped her bow tightly, resting her free had on Maya's head.

The wolf pulled back her teeth in a silent growl as they passed through the cover of the trees, into the blinding sunlight of highnoon.

"You have issued the challenge!" Faith exclaimed in a booming low voice. "I accepted. I chose the location, you provided. Now..." She bowed her head, her leather hat covering her whole face. The wind whistled from behind her, blowing through her cloak, toying with it and causing it to dance around her, revealing glimpses of her dear skin breeches and leather vest. The sleeves of the billowing white shirt she wore were also tugged by the breeze as her hand rested lightly on Maya's head.

The wolf's silver fur was raised in challenge. She snapped her teeth menacingly, small drops of saliva flying from her mouth. Her onyx eyes glittered in the high sun. She was snarling softly, vicous and dark. The sound carried on the breeze however, reacing the other group of adventurers.

"...Set the terms."

Cage
08-14-06, 02:03 PM
Walking restlessly across the clearing, Cage had the vague uneasy feeling that something was watching him. It couldn’t be the animals; he didn’t even hear birds in this place, likely none would return to a place once burned. A slight whistling caused him to turn, his eyes searching for the sound. The sharp thump sound of an arrow lodging in the tree made him spin around, finding trajectory and back-tracing to the source. Standing in the shadows, his opponent stood with bow drawn and cloak whirling from the sudden breeze.

The master jumped visibly, letting out a sharp squeak in amazement at his near-death experience. Kinir didn’t seem very surprised, not so much as twitching and his eyes followed immediately to the man. The wolf was quite a fearsome thing, by far larger than any dog should have been, silver fur short and course, a terrifying animal with spittle falling from its barred fangs.

His master took a second to take in her speech, absorbing it and not taking more than a second to respond. “The terms are to the death.” His eyes were cold and cruel, the boy wanted to see blood and he knew this would result in great loss. Although he tried to look noble and lordly by keeping his gaze level with the man, his eyes strayed to the wolf against his will. He admired the creature, the wildness it had that dogs lacked, but he also feared it, such a creature could eat him whole and still be hungry.

Kinir was a little off-set by this, he would have chosen a weaker opponent, such as a drunk lying unconscious in the street, if he had known it would be to the death. “My lord, what if Cage loses?”

“Then he dies, so what?” the boy replied while smirking at Cage.

Obviously the lordling didn’t understand the problem, at least not as it affected him. “But if he dies, who then will carry our bags? Don’t look at me, I’m your guard not your bagman. “

His eyes opened wider, the master hadn’t thought of it that way. He wasn’t going to carry his own bags, that was for damn sure, and Cage had been useful in the past. He would need to modify the terms, “I mean, you shall fight until one of you is unconscious, unable to continue fighting, or surrenders. Cage, begin!”

His golden eyes darkened and focused on the man, examining him. He had a bow, a quiver of arrows, and a short sword. He was wearing some light leathers, only enough to protect from scratches, but it was still a hindrance to Cage. Throwing back his head a bit, he went into the basic stance of the light render; his left foot bent and straight beneath him, his right pulled back behind him and slightly to the side, his left hand placed palm forward at chest height with his right behind him holding the training sword level to the ground pointed towards his opponent. If she tried to grab an arrow he would need to dash the several feet separating them and slash the bow, but if she put it away and drew her sword, he would wait. Wait for her to attack and deflect it with a followed up strike to the side of the neck, a strike that if successful would activate the pressure point and cause considerable pain. Flow like the wind, flow like the wind, flow like the wind. The mantra helped him restrain his instinct and act with his mind, not his gut. He would need to be smart to win, not vicious.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-14-06, 06:09 PM
They said nothing of my not participating.

That puts you back in the game, my friend.

Maya reared back on her haunches, lifting her long lupine snout to the sky, and howled a loud triumphant howl. Her intelligent eyes gleamed with excitement as she settled back onto all four feet, turning to face her opponent as he slipped into his fighting stance.

Can you get between us if he lunges at me?

I am insulted if you thought anything else. And with that she sprinted forwad toward the man, fangs bared in a show of feorcity. When she was within range, the silver wolf coiled back and lunged, throwing all of her weight and power behind herself.

Faith kept her distance, watching her wolf-friend leap at the man. She reached behind her and pulled an arrow from her quiver, placing it quickly against the string of her bow. Her arm pulled back with practiced ease, sending the arrow flying toward her opponent. She quickly reached back for another arrow and shot it off.

She said nothing. She didn't trust herself to keep up her masculing voice while she was concentrating on the battle. Her sense tingled as she kept a sharp eye on everything around her. Her foot shifted in the sandy terrain, sliding through the ash. She drew another arrow and placed it to the string, waiting.

It was his move.

Cage
08-15-06, 01:02 AM
The wolf took action apparently of its own accord, lunging at Cage far before he thought it would. Usually pets defended their owner only after an attack, never being the preemptive strike. The wolf was fast and a force to be reckoned with, teeth barred and seeking blood. It was a surprise, but it was nothing he couldn’t deal with.

In one smooth motion Cage’s left hand shot backwards and brought his sheath partially from his belt in front him, his right aligning his wooden sword with the arrow intended for his head. The sheath slid horizontally into the wolf’s maw holding it at bay, while simultaneously the arrow collided and fell harmlessly to the floor. For a second, Cage almost grinned at how well his training had prepared him, but before he could a shaft was sticking out of his right forearm.

Gritting his teeth, chagrinned for not seeing it as much as the sharp pain, Cage could tell the arrow wasn’t deep. Turning his hand over, the arrow slid out with a stream of blood following it, thanking whatever gods looked over him that the arrow hadn’t been barbed. Still, there wasn’t time to check the wound or curse the man for using his animal.

Letting out a bestial snarl of his own, Cage swept across the ground while shoving the wolf away and leapt the last few feet to the man, whipping the sword through the air at the man’s hands. He would break the delicate fingers used to draw a bow, but he couldn’t leave it at that. The sword swept out to the side not even feeling for the success of the first strike, swinging out to the left and then whistling threw the air to the right, a wide blow meant to strike the face. The force he applied was great enough he didn’t need to halt if he connected, instead spinning to the right and lowering, intent to strike the wolf as well.

Across the way, the young lord let out a hoot as the arrow struck his servant, cheering loudly for either side to win, focused completely on the match before him. Kinir was sat silently beside his ostentatious charge, his eyes glittering darkly. It is well and good to strike quickly and on many fronts, but your back is to your opponent. What will you do now, I wonder.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-15-06, 11:19 AM
The gritty taste of wood filled the she-wolf's mouth. With a snarl of outrage she threw herself at the scabbard that had blocked her attack, but it was to no avail. So she tried to withdraw, wildly pulling backwards. She wasn't fast enough.

The man's shove sent her tumbling backwards, landing with a thud and sending a cloud of ash and dust into the air. She struggled to her feet, shaking her head. He was strong. Very strong. As a full-grown wolf she weighed around seventy pounds easily. And she had sent her sprawling like a human pup. She snorted indignantly and barred her teeth. She charged up behind him as he lunged toward her elf partner.

Are you all right? Faith called her companion as Cage lunged for her. There was no answer in her mind. The elf shook her head, rolling her eyes. She loved Maya dearly, but she didn’t deal well with wounded pride.

She danced backwards, dropping the arrow to the ground and swinging her bow by her side. Her movement seemed sluggish, the heavy material of her cloak tangling with her legs. The sword slid through the air harmlessly. With an inhuman amount of grace she slid closer to him. The sword came whistling toward her head and she dipped low, ducking swiftly. The sword cleared her head… but not without a cost.

Cage didn’t see the training sword connect with the top of the leather hat; he had already turned to face the wolf. He also didn’t see it drift slowly to the ground… Nor did he see the mess of black and green curls spill forth from it, or the feminine blue eyes it revealed… Possibly most importantly he didn’t see the set of long pointed ears.

Maya saw the hat fall, however, and she rocked back onto her hind feet, slashing at the man with her the claws on her front feet. When he swung at her, she rocked back and leaped into the air, throwing herself backwards. She landed roughly, slamming into the ground hard. Still, she managed to stand, her right side streaked black from the ash.

“No…” Faith whispered to herself, dropping her masculine tone. But it was too late. She had to finish this… now. With a quick twist of her hands and a shrug of her shoulders the cloak she wore fluttered to the ground, freeing her from it’s encumbrance and revealing her lithe, feminine figure. With a cat’s agility, she pounced forward, sweeping her bow up and above his head. She pulled it down hard, hoping to get it over his head, and pulling back to press the thin bowstring against his windpipe.

Maya grinned one of her wild lupine grins at him, showing all of her teeth as they glistened in her saliva. She stalked towards him carefully, trying to keep him distracted as Faith slipped the taunt string over his head.

She sent a bloodcurdling howl out, challenging him to come for her, to test her. It was the same howl that wolves used in the wild to challenge the pack-leader for dominance. It rose goosebumps on even Faith skin.

There was a gentle whistle on the air as the bow string swiftly lowered to its mark.

Cage
08-15-06, 02:17 PM
For as abnormally fast as he was, seemingly both of Cage’s strikes had missed. He hadn’t been able to see for sure, but the lack of jarring vibration in his sword was disappointing. His rotating strike against the wolf wasn’t successful either, the wolf jumping upwards and away with his swing swishing harmlessly through the air.

The child lord continued hooting and couldn’t take his eyes from the furious action, an appreciative audience to either side. Kinir was watching much closer giving careful scrutiny to everything Cage did, if Cage made mistakes then he would pay for them later. If he was too slow, he would run miles until he was faster, if he was sloppy he would practice striking till blood ran from his blistered hands, if he lost his footing, he would balance on a the head of spear until he could balance asleep, he would pay dearly for each mistake with training upon training. Normally Kinir would have thought Cage the victor, he was striking in the right areas, reacting the right way, and yet, he hadn’t touched his opponent. He came so close, even knocking the man’s hat off, when suddenly it made sense. The opponent was an elf, the ears revealed as much, and not only that, she wasn’t the man she pretended to be. Of course, Cage had no idea, elves were much quicker than normal humans but also much weaker, more so with females, he had been facing an opponent under the assumption of a human male. He had been trying to out-speed and out-maneuver his opponent, with an elf you needed to overwhelm them with force. For a moment he considered calling out to him, tell him what to do, but then he held his tongue. Cage, this is the true test. You may be quick, and strong, but if you cannot see then you will die, if not today then another day. You must see with your eyes, this is the one thing I cannot teach.

His face was as much a smile as snarl, his blows falling short and ineffective. It was invigorating to do something so physical and competitive, a sweet reprieve from the servant’s duties he so often performed. The wolf was approaching closer now, its eyes hungry for blood. Although he could fend it off again, the man behind him was far more dangerous, being out of sight and able to attack an indefensible area.

Cage spent too much time thinking his next move, seeing a slight glint as the thin bowstring slipped in front of his face and towards his neck, an attempt to garrote him. In both an effort to escape the wire and the wolf, he leaned backward stepping back as well and going past his balance, falling backward toward his attacker. Letting the training sword fall, his right hand shot backwards groping for a leg, preferable an ankle or knee which he could press his weight against to snap sideways. He could have tried his left, but the right was dominant and possessed a powerful grip that few things could escape from.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-15-06, 02:49 PM
He was falling?

Maya growled, a triumphant gleam in her eyes. The prey was down. She felt the energy buzz inside of her veins. Adrenaline filled her, lust for the kill. Galloping forward, she readied to spring, to finish it but Faith’s voice inside her mind stopped her.

Maya! Wait! The elf screamed telepathically.

Maya stopped suddenly and snapped her head toward Faith, barring her teeth in defiance. Still, she waited. She trusted her friend, even if she wasn’t happy with what the elf was saying.

As Cage fell backwards, Faith’s bow was jerked from her hands. In desperation she reached for her sword and began to draw. She saw Maya jumping towards the man and halted her. Something about her foe reminded her more of an animal than man and it made her wary.

She had the sword half out of it’s scabbard when suddenly she felt Cage’s desperate grab for her ankle. She was jerked off balance and to the ground. As she fell, Faith somehow managed to loose her sword. She emitted a small startled sound as she hit the ground. She tried to roll, tucking her sword tightly to her chest, but Cage’s grip held strong around her ankle.

She turned. Desperation filled her eyes, the look of a fox in a snare. He was bigger than her, and if it came to wrestling on the ground there was no hope for her. With a wild swing she slashed her sword at the hand that held her ankle, a flash of cold cruel steel.

Maya could no longer contain herself as she saw the large man drag down her pack-mate. She howled and sprinted forward, closing the distance between the pair of fighters and herself. When she was within range, she threw herself at the man, a wall of dagger-like teeth and slashing claws.

Cage
08-16-06, 04:39 AM
Gotcha

His hand locked around an ankle, his fingers curling inward with a grip of iron, a swordman’s hand, and he pulled. Hard. His opponent fell to the ground behind him, struggling or moving slightly but unable to get away. Turning his head sharply, he could see that it was no man that he was fighting. A sudden understanding came over him, his difficulty making contact, the flexibility of the leg and the ease with which it gave, falling but not breaking.

Before he could react further, the hair on the back of his neck stood on end. The beast before him loosed a howl before leading to a rapid and vicious charge, ivory daggers filled its mouth wanton for Cage’s life blood. Of the two, the wolf seemed by far to be the more dangerous, faster and ruthless with natural ferocity. Lying flat on his back wasn’t a defensible position but it could be potent nonetheless.

In a smooth quick motion, the powerful sinewy muscles in his legs contracted and curled, building tension to brink and snapping outward with all the force his body could create. Both feet extended landing squarely in the face of the raging beast. The attack would only server to buffer and anger the animal, but it also sent Cage sliding farther towards the woman. Twisting his body to the side rapidly, Cage spun into a kneeling position somewhat above her. Before he even knew what he was doing, the training sword was back in his hand he held it reverse, the blade running along his arm with the pommel pointed forward. He knew it to be the strongest and hardest point in the sword. He would crack her skull with the a single strike, and then he could deal with the wolf.

Just as his arm shot forward with enough force to crush bone, the sharp ringing of a blade being drawn echoed through the air and a leather boot cracked into his ribs. The blow sent him reeling; the world rolled and swirled with the spots before his eyes refusing to right itself. When his eyes focused, Kinir was standing between him and the wolf, blade pointed at the wolf and sheath pressed to Cage’s chest, pinning him to the ground. Between the three of them, the wolf’s snarl was matched by Cage’s, Kinir’s face calm and unconcerned. “Cage yields, you are the victor. Here is your gold, take it and leave us.” The clink of coins could be heard as a bag dropped at the elf’s feet. While Cage’s face reformed to his usual depression, his eyes held great fury and confusion.

Blue_Angel_eyes
08-16-06, 07:22 AM
The pommel was whistling towards her face. With desperation she tried to roll away but found herself caught under the larger man's weight. Her sword swung violently but hit only air. She cried out in fear, one arm covering her face. And then...

The weight was gone. A shadow passed over her and Cage was no longer over her, the pommel no longer flying towards her face. She was free.

She cringed, trying to stand and falling. Looking at her opponent, she saw the man dazed although she didn’t think he was unconscious. Maya ran for him but Faith stopped her silently. The man was down, let him be. Maya shook her head in frustration. She would never understand the world of humans. When the prey was down you finished it, not let it lie there in its agony.

He’s not prey, he’s an opponent. Faith told her curtly as she fought to make her bruised legs stand. She somehow managed to struggle to her feet, holding her sword in front of her. She advanced toward the fallen Cage, willing to help him up.

It was then she registered the man who had managed to get between the fallen swordsman and her companion. She paused and looked at him with her gray blue eyes, blinking as he threw the bag of coins at her feet and told her to leave. He was the one who had forced Cage from her; the man who may have saved her life.

Drop the ferocity, my friend. This battle is done and you’re not the monster you’re playing right now. The blood lust is a part of you, but it isn’t everything. Faith told the wolf as she slowly sheathed her sword. She crouched down gracefully, picking up the bag of gold. She tried to hide the cringe that came as her bruised muscles were forced to move, but she wasn’t sure she succeeded.

Maya nodded her head slightly. She knew Faith was right. She closed her lips over her teeth and looked at Cage, ignoring the sword point, and bowed her head. It looked eerily like a human man acknowledging a fighter after a duel. Her eyes regained their intelligent shine, loosing the edge of fire that oft came when she battled.

Faith stood looking at the fallen warrior for a moment, not moving. She could feel Kinir’s eyes shift between the wolf and her and still she didn’t move. She sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. There was something she had to do.

“That fight was barely fair.” She said softly, moving her eyes from Cage to Kinir and back again. “It was two on one with a misrepresentation. Had your teacher not intervened, I... Although I’ll not refuse your money, I don’t think many adventurers would in these times… I didn't win that, he did." She pointed one finger toward the boy laying on the ground. "He beat me and there is something I’d like to do for you. It isn't much... but it's all I have to offer. Stay still.”

The elf held out her hand, making it parallel to the ground. She closed her eyes, feeling the energy in the wind and the life that pulsed beneath the layers of brunt ash and sand. The green life that kept the earth growing long after dynasty’s had come and fallen. She silently sent a plea to the Earth, asking to borrow some of it’s energy to help her and a warrior who was in need of it. The earth bent to her will, as it almost always did, and sent green energy flowing into her through the sand

She was engulfed with a green and gold glow, her loose black hair blowing as if some phantom wind had suddenly stirred around her.

“Rejuvinate.” She whispered and felt the borrowed strength begin to work its healing powers. First the ache in her side lessened, than the swelling around her ankle went down, although it didn’t disappear completely. Then she felt the weariness the fight had brought on pass, energizing her.

She wondered how the powers would affect the man who had also come to be surrounded by a green glow. It was different for every person, and do varying degrees. The more the person was in-tune with nature and it’s inhabitants, the stronger the effect would be. She had a suspicion, although she didn’t want to say it out loud for fear of being wrong. Still… she had a feeling this spell would touch him more than it did other humans.

She stepped forward, past Kinir and rested a hand on Cage’s head gently.

“You shouldn’t let human’s tame you. You could be so much stronger than that. I hope our paths cross again, Cage.” She hesitated but finally decided on using the name that the older man had called him by. The name felt bad in her mouth, although she found it quite ironic. Cage wasn’t a real name, especially not for a son of the wild. It was a joke and she found it sickening.

With a nod of her head to Kinir, Cage, and the boy noble, she turned bounded gracefully from the clearing, her light footfalls barely leaving footprints. The wolf did the same bowing her head to each in turn before wheeling and following Faith from the clearing. When the pair reached the other side they vanished into the shadows and speckled sun, leaving no more than a hint of movement here and there.

And with that, the elf continued on her way. Her mind was filled with thoughts of the boy named Cage and her money pouch was considerably heavier.

It had been a good day.

Cage
08-18-06, 01:17 AM
With a few words, the elven female seemed to conjure a great swirling aura about herself, the color of sun and grass twirled beautifully together. Then the aura expanded, reaching out to Cage and Kinir alike. Kinir shrugged it off, unaffected as the aura pulsed around him unable to come in contact, to Cage is swarmed and funneled into the gouge from the arrow as well as permeating his skin all around, coaxing his blood and muscles to recover. The hole in his arm was reduced to an indented scab, healing fully in a few days time and a minor nuisance.

Her final words lingered long after her departure, repeating over and over in his mind. I will be stronger. The wild cannot be tamed, not the land, not the water, not the animals, not the heart.

Kinir sheathed his sword, and backed away several feet. Although he wasn’t standing offensively, his eyes glared daggers at Cage. “I shouldn’t have needed to intervene. You can’t let yourself lose control, in fury there is weakness, in indecision there is weakness, in hesitation there is weakness, in you there is weakness.” He’d never seen someone lose control in such a way, to attack an opponent purely with ferocity and without skill or tactic, it shamed him as the teacher, and when the lord didn’t need him and it was time to train, he would pay dearly. He would sweat until blood came out, and if he refused to train than he would be beaten. No student shamed Kinir Sersio.

The lordling was long since bored, running out of the woods and hollering for them to follow and keep up. The fight held his interest for a little bit, but the wolf hadn’t killed Cage as he might have liked and he was a tad disappointed. Although he was a bit relieved, after all Kinir couldn’t carry all their bags by himself.

((100 gp goes to Blue_Angel_Eyes from me))

Osato
08-19-06, 09:44 AM
+|+ Cage +|+

Introduction: 6
Very good, I loved the character shown. I also liked the way the little lord acted, but it would be interesting to see more of Cage’s feelings, since he’s the main character in all this.
Writing Style: 6
Good, but shifts from good to ok from post to post. Keep up your consistency from post to post…
Strategy: 5
Setting: 5
Both of you could have given the setting better. However, after setting up the battling grounds you did not add much more than that.
Character: 6
I enjoy your character, not only yours but that of the young lord and the bodyguard too. You did a terrific job with your character. Unfortunately battles do not provide the best medium for character.
Dialogue: 5
You don’t have much dialogue, but what you do have supports your characters well. It is lower than Angel’s score because the last part was somewhat cliché and seemed like you were just trying to get the battle over with quickly.
Rising Action: 5
Climax: 5
The climax was hectic, confusing, and hard to follow. I don’t really know what to suggest in order to make it a little better, other than possibly strengthen your actions and reactions a bit.
Conclusion: 5
Ok, but short. I’d work a little on character, dialogue, and some setting towards the end. What did Cage get out of the battle? Anything? That’s what you need at the end…
Wild Card: 7

Score: 55

+|+ Blue_Angel_eyes +|+

Introduction: 5
Good, but work on adding some more flair to the posts. Don’t be afraid to throw in some higher diction, some more emotion, and some stronger descriptions of the setting in general.
Writing Style: 5
There were many little mistakes. I know it’s a hassle re-reading each post, especially if you are in multiple threads, but I’d suggest it if you have the time. I am apt to do the same though, so don’t worry too much.
Strategy: 4
You slightly powergamed the two swings of the sword missing. You are only level 0, as is he, but elven grace at a rage of a training sword should not be able to do that.
Setting: 6
I gave you the edge here because of your comments about the ash on the side of the beast, the dust rising from shifting your feet, little things like that. The score could be much higher if you add more, like the setting of the sun, the breezes, the animals around. Anything really.
Character: 5
Dialogue: 6
I liked the dialogue that you had between yourself and Maya. It was realistic too, but also added to your overall character.
Rising Action: 6
Climax: 5
((See Above Comment.))
Conclusion: 6
You did just a little better than Cage with your conclusion. I liked your connection with the earth, and your willingness to heal Cage. However, you seemed to go directly from not understanding the nature of conceding to stopping Maya with a logical reason.
Wild Card: 7

Score: 49

EXP:
Cage – 500 exp
Angel – 150 exp
REWARDS:
Cage looses 100 gold due to his own request, Angel gains the 100 gold.

Good job to both of you. If you have questions about the battle please feel free to PM me or IM me via AIM or MSN. I would be happy to answer any question that you may have, or give advice on anything thing that you may have questions about. Congrats to both of you.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
08-24-06, 12:41 PM
EXP and GP added!