PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Forum Tournaments (Creative Writing and Team Sparring)

Grimoire
06-26-11, 06:56 AM
For those of you that don't know me, I'm originally from a site called Anime League. As a moderator of its roleplaying community, aptly titled Roleplayer's Realm (I swear, we're usually more creative than that!), I've started two tournaments that will be hosted there (as mentioned in the thread title.)

The first is a creative writing contest in which participants will be given a scenario and told to emphasize a certain aspect of writing (characterization, description, etc). At the end of each round, entries will be scored via judges (which you may also apply to be), and at the end of the tournament all round scores will be added together-- highest score wins.

The second is a 2v2 single-elimination sparring tournament. They will be conducted in Open/Open-variation style, which for those of you haven't heard the term is very similar to the system used for battles here.

Now, I've looked at several threads and I know a few of you from AL itself. I know there are plenty of talented writers here, and we would love for you to participate. For more information, please see the links below.

Info/Q&A (http://www.animeleague.net/forum/showthread.php?64496-Upcoming-Tournaments-(Spar-amp-Creative-Writing)-Info-Q-amp-A-(Post-If-Looking-For-Partner))

Contestant/Judge Applications (http://www.animeleague.net/forum/showthread.php?64497-Cross-Forum-Tournaments-Contestant-Judge-Applications)

I look forward to seeing some of you get involved :)

And thanks to Max Dirks for allowing this to be promoted.

Duffy
06-26-11, 03:20 PM
You have my daggers and song to add to the table, I look forward to it :).

Grimoire
06-26-11, 11:30 PM
Glad to have you :)

I'm hoping that a few people will want to take a shot at the spar tournament as well. Currently, AL only has one team registered (with a few more people in the "I'm going to try and make time for this/I need a partner" stages, and I'll probably be jumping into it too-- For AL; sorry guys :P

As I posted in the signup thread, I'm setting a tentative start date of July 15. That is, I would like to get this out on another board or two so we get a good variety of writers (not to mention a few more sparring teams so that both tournaments have a similar length)

Enigmatic Immortal
06-27-11, 12:59 AM
Oh what the hell *tosses hat in ring* I may as well try some new things

Amen
06-27-11, 02:02 AM
I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to join up. I told myself I wasn't going to go back to RR, but I respect what Bane is doing here.

If somebody decides to join the sparring thing but can't find a partner, let me know and maybe it'll sway my decision.

Grimoire
06-27-11, 02:03 AM
:)

Looks like the creative writing portion is coming along nicely. Hopefully, we'll get some people interested in the sparring competition. There's always the option making it into a 1v1 spar tournament, but we would like to keep it as a team effort. Suppose that means it's time for me to go to some other boards (though they won't get me as an active member. I'm picky :P )

Duffy
06-27-11, 02:55 AM
I have to say, after having a good look around, I'm likely to stay for the tournament then return here; I am not a big enthusiast for sci-fi roleplay and the character system, though competent, is a little bombastic for my liking. I like to start small, very small and earn the higher powers.

Good little community though, some talented writers there from what I can gleam.

Grimoire
06-27-11, 03:00 AM
That reasoning more or less summarizes why I'm also participating here (I'm "Bane" over there)

As far as the sci-fi bit goes, that's all a matter of character interpretation; well, other than the fact that it's set in a collection of universes with established travel between them... uh... yeah lol. For instance, the character I'm using here is a direct import from there (slightly adapted template)

EDIT: Sorry, Amen, you posted about the same time I did, so I didn't see it earlier. But like I said the other day, I'd love to partner up with you. Not really sure what site we'd say we were repping... but we could work that out later lol

orphans
06-27-11, 09:39 AM
Took a quick skim through, looks pretty interesting but I don't know if I can partake. I'll have to take a look see after work ^ ^; But I wish those who are joining good times!