PDA

View Full Version : Be Gentle...

Sagequeen
08-03-11, 05:02 PM
I went and got inspired. I made a song! Please bear in mind:

1) This was written less than two hours ago and recorded with a single mic.
2) I'm not formally trained (or trained at all.)
3) I am a little insecure about posting this :D

So... I would rather be a fool in front of those who don't know much of anything about me. SO be nice. As I get used to this again, (did I mention I used to perform live all the time) I might just write you a song.

Well upon trying to add the attachment it seems Althanas forums doesn't want me to upload this particular song just now. So, in the meantime, please enjoy this. (http://www.looperman.com/profile.php?mod=tracks&mid=185393) The first is an original recorded a few years ago. The second and third are loop-based. The fourth is constructed entirely from tones and static I manipulated. The voice is of course mine. It's a work in progress but I like it.

Edit: K, I'll find another way to share it. The file is too big to upload.

Letho
08-04-11, 12:17 PM
I once considered playing an instrument... but then I remembered I had no talent for it. :P

Seriously, though, I like the acoustic one. The others are just not my cup of joe. Maybe the transition at around one minute mark could've been done better, just sounds a bit awkward. But what the hell do I know?

SandStorm
08-04-11, 03:39 PM
Point of no return has a cool beat to it, but electronic isn't really my cup of tea either.

The acoustic was the best. Well done

Sagequeen
08-04-11, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys :) It means a lot that you like the acoustic one. Electronic isn't for everyone, but a good acoustic transcends genre, in my opinion. I did the acoustic in a single recording... I never really gave my own stuff the same attention I gave others. Now that I don't have my studio anymore, I regret it! Still, it's never the same performing live as it is recording. When you're live, it's balls-to-the-wall put it out there. Stop thinking and lose yourself. Recording in a studio on the other hand is very heady.

Point of No Return was an excercise in taking static and tones and making them into something. Literally, the static when a TV station signs off and the beep your microwave makes. Then you process the heck out of it in any way you can imagine. Sort of like how we arrange letters to make words, then words to make sentences, etc. So making static sound like a snare and bass drums, or making tones sound like a bass guitar WHILE keeping it all in tune: that was a very fun challenge.

Hotsuma
08-04-11, 05:32 PM
All of it was great, I liked the first one, you have a catchy voice, it was all soulful and sad and stuff. and i freakin love techno, (actually hardstyle is my preference to get technical hehe) but yah I'm totally envious of that skill. I wanna be a dj when i grow up... :(

Zerith
08-05-11, 01:32 AM
As an acoustic guitar player myself, I have to say I really like your acoustic track myself. Normally, I'm not sure if I should be able to hear the pick as you strum (I can't recall hearing it in any track done by a friend of mine) but overall it sounded great.

But now I'm curious, what brand is your guitar?

Konnal
08-05-11, 05:12 AM
Point of No Return was an excercise in taking static and tones and making them into something. Literally, the static when a TV station signs off and the beep your microwave makes. Then you process the heck out of it in any way you can imagine. Sort of like how we arrange letters to make words, then words to make sentences, etc. So making static sound like a snare and bass drums, or making tones sound like a bass guitar WHILE keeping it all in tune: that was a very fun challenge.

That's awesome, and the acoustic one was great. Now I wish I had recording equipment... and musical talent.

Sagequeen
08-05-11, 06:22 AM
As an acoustic guitar player myself, I have to say I really like your acoustic track myself. Normally, I'm not sure if I should be able to hear the pick as you strum (I can't recall hearing it in any track done by a friend of mine) but overall it sounded great.

But now I'm curious, what brand is your guitar?

Yes, you hear the pick because it was just an open air mic recording the audio. You'd never hear a pick strum on the stuff I produced for other people, but it was late one night and I figured I had better record at least one of my songs.

The guitar was my now-retired Takamine... it was purchased in Alaska the same month I was born and given to me by my dad a few years ago. (I was born in Alaska not because he was in the military, but because he is a musician. He and my mother couldn't decide at first if it would be Hawaii or Alaska, so he literally flipped a coin. When Alaska came up, it seemed like a good idea to him. There aren't a lot of musicians that will play Alaska so everyone who plays there gets the royal treatment. Just my luck >.< )

@Konnal: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed.

@Hotsuma: You should hear me sing the blues. That's the genre where I am most comfortable. It comes from the soul and doesn't require thought. When I try to sing other styles... well, I overthink it and it comes out shaky and a little weak.