PDA

View Full Version : Elves:The ignored species....

Jack Frost
08-07-11, 01:28 PM
I have been on this site for about a year or so now and I have seen many elven characters come along. However for some most of their time here is short, thus I have noticed that the site is tragically void of our long eared companions. To add Incentive for elven players I am adding a new shiny group of elves from the area around Underwood as a power group that I will help manage. TO also add to that I ask my Fellow Althanians to assist me in a project of major importance. There are probably billions upon billions of Threads that have elven information in them. I need your help to dig it up and get it in this thread! Why you guys and not me? I have no clue how to effectively dig through this site's archives. Anything we don't find will be made up and added up here. So, who's ready to revive this long lost species!

What we have so far:
They settled mostly in Raiaera from an unknown continent and were the first to truly begin to settle and found a kingdom of sorts. They had an almost fatal encounter with a clan of nearby humans, but used the art of song magic to wipe out their enemies and conquer Raiaera fuly.

There is mention of six schools of song magic, but it is vague and only really mentions Enarlin, which is a form of dark song magic that scares and depresses the listener.

As for The Concordia elves it mentions their settling as Corone was truly beginning to form into a civilization. It mentions them settling the Concordia forest, and being adamant in staying. It appears they have played an important part in guarding the portals to Haida once sealed.

More Information is needed

Atzar
08-07-11, 03:15 PM
Have a link. (http://www.althanas.com/world/faq.php?faq=roleplaying#faq_introhist)

That's the History of Althanas, in the Althanas Handbook. It has plenty of information about the elves in it. Also, browse through Raiaera, along with it's archives in the Crystal Ball - pay attention specifically to the stickied threads. Most of the information you want is in there somewhere.

Not sure how you consider elves 'ignored' though. They're second on this site in terms of popularity. Too bad Sighter isn't around anymore... he'd be the one to talk to about elves.

Jack Frost
08-07-11, 05:26 PM
Well when it comes to active pcs I don't think I've seen any. Sire we may have NPCs and the like, but I haven't noticed any real work done...

Jack Frost
08-07-11, 05:50 PM
I got some dates...
But not a whole lot on legitimate culture details and the like.
Also having finally read the whole freaking history (or at least to the present from where the link started me...) I think some updates on the "present" are due or an update.

Duffy
08-07-11, 05:53 PM
I have several elf characters, Jack.

Cydnar Yrene is active.
Dianus Ogham is newly active.
Nihjar Yrene is dormant.

Rayse Valentino has a new elf character, and Aborax has an elven character too.

They're certainly around, but an update couldn't hurt.

Jack Frost
08-07-11, 06:05 PM
I hadn't seen any posts with them so I didn't know the existed until this point. Duffy seeing that you have quite a few characters if you could post up some links to resources I could thumb through that would be spectacular. If you have any info you know by heart I would love to get that in a Pm. I'm in the process of getting the basic timelines and then looking into the schools of song magic, what each did, and this rebellion led by the sixth school...

Elthas_Belthasar
08-07-11, 06:23 PM
Jack Frost.

I am an Elf.

We are not the forgotten ones of olde.

But rather we also require a new generation of Heroes.

Jack Frost
08-07-11, 06:24 PM
Hey Lorenor,
Finally back on the site?

Elthas_Belthasar
08-07-11, 07:09 PM
Yeah dood Im back but I'm gonna focus on this guy mostly.

Elrundir
08-07-11, 09:02 PM
I've been doing a lot of compiling of elf information over the past couple of weeks. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll answer them as best I can.

Also, for the record, there are now only four schools of song magic. The sixth school (Enarlin) was closed a few thousand years ago, and then two of the schools (Ostlin, defensive, and Dagorlin, offensive) were combined into one at some point during this site's existence. After a previous invasion by the dark elves but before the Featured Quest with Xem'Zund, anyway.

Anyway, you can always just browse through this (http://www.althanas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Raiaera) and hopefully it'll answer most of your questions.

Savas Tigh
08-07-11, 09:10 PM
It might also help to browse Your Word. I've got some Elf information on there, mostly recent and related to Xem'zund's Corpse War on Raiaera.

tl;dr the Bladesingers no longer have real divisions between the schools. They were wiped out to the point that all new initiates ended up being crosstrained in everything that was active at the time, while all of the old guard had to crosstrain as well just to fill in the gaps. They're also no longer exclusively Elven, though I don't know if they accept folks without any kind of Elven blood in 'em. I was Raiaera's Continent Writer when this happened, don't know if my successors have changed any of that.

There are also the Wanderers in Starlight, who are basically a Raiaeran militia/cult movement trying to go back to the extreme fundamentals of the current Elven pantheon -- basically the Old Testament croud, red in blade and song, and they thrived quite a bit during that particular war. They're also old enough that they completely ignore distinctions between Elven sub-types, though their views on half-elves and non-elves generally ain't peachy. There's information on them in Your Word.

EDIT: And by "I've got info there," I mean it's posted under Caden Law right here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?22902-Beinost-and-the-College-Arcana/page3). Scroll down a smidge.

Zook Murnig
08-08-11, 01:16 PM
With regards to culture, I had spoken with both Sighter and another who worked on Raiaera with him previously, and apparently a lot of the culture and government of Raiaera is based on ancient Hebrew culture, pre-Romans.

As well, if you really feel that elves need to be revived as a player race, then the best place to start would be to play one.