PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Question

SirArtemis
08-15-11, 01:39 AM
Simple enough. It's about dialogue. Please tell me which of these two is correct.

"Where are we going?" she asked.
"Where are we going?" She asked.

Amen
08-15-11, 02:01 AM
First one. "She asked" is part of the whole sentence. It's the same as saying

She asked, "Where are we going?"

Whereas the second would be like saying

She asked. "Where are we going?"

SirArtemis
08-15-11, 02:29 AM
Right. So the first one is correct?

I always felt like the second one would be correct, since I view a question mark or exclamation point more as a period, when in reality, with dialogue, it's viewed as a comma.

SirArtemis
08-15-11, 02:45 AM
Next question. (Sorry TI)

Which of these is correct?

Alix said as she tossed the folder back into the chest and looked across the earthen hued docks above the dark water.
Alix said as she tossed the folder back into the chest and looked across the earthen-hued docks above the dark water.

Duffy
08-15-11, 03:50 AM
First one if you're British, second if you're American.

Silence Sei
08-15-11, 05:38 AM
In other words, either works.

Duffy
08-15-11, 07:13 AM
Yeah, you're telling that to the guy who has lost mechanic points for spelling words correctly consistently since he joined Althanas.

Use whichever is appropriate for the language of origin, in this instant, the non hyphenated option would be suitable for Artemis.

Elrundir
08-15-11, 08:24 AM
Well, if judges do take off Mechanics points for using one of those over the other, then I doubt they're going to take into account (or even realize at all) what the language of origin is. I wouldn't really expect them to know whether someone is American or Canadian or British or European or whatever anyway. :p Hopefully it wouldn't be standard practice to dock points for things that are just slight stylistic differences between different English variants. ><

Duffy
08-15-11, 08:29 AM
It's not that hard though, I'm the only British guy here, I stick out like a sore thumb :p.

Amen
08-15-11, 06:37 PM
I don't think I've ever docked points for a British spelling (I watch for that), and I never dock points for not hyphenating (as in earthen-hued), but I will push hyphens until the day I die. I love hyphens and everyone else should love them too.

But yeah, on topic: both are correct. Or rather, neither is incorrect.

Visla Eraclaire
08-15-11, 07:24 PM
Judges think they aren't doing their jobs if they don't find pointless technicalities to dock mechanics points for. Most of the grammar rules applied are debatable or in a state of flux anyway.

SirArtemis
08-15-11, 07:34 PM
Judges think they aren't doing their jobs if they don't find pointless technicalities to dock mechanics points for. Most of the grammar rules applied are debatable or in a state of flux anyway.

I agree, but I also feel like you shouldn't HAVE to go out of your way to find them. If something is wrong, it usually stands out, especially in the case of a homonym substitution or even a missing/extra word or two that makes things less clear. Though in that case, do you dock mechanics or clarity?

So... confuzzled...

The International
08-15-11, 07:46 PM

I, for one, don't look for them. That's the least part of my judgment, but if I notice it I have to say something and dock points.

Atzar
08-15-11, 08:04 PM

Specifically, the grammar rule that irks me is the contraction - some judges here dock mechanics points if they find a contraction that isn't in dialogue, but I've found sources all over the internet that say contractions are perfectly fine in fictional writing. The only time they should be avoided is in formal writing - academic work, professional advice, law, etc.

Elrundir
08-15-11, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I've actually seen an example or two of that myself, which is a bit disconcerting. But you're right: there's nothing wrong with contractions at all. Those kinds of silly rules exist only in academic/scientific/professional writing, where they implement entire volumes of formatting rules for no reason other than that they can.

Vigil
08-15-11, 08:21 PM
I use contractions unless its in academic writing.

Difference?

You're not getting raped by your peers, your professor and whatever place you send it in for publication if you're doing something where it.. say it with me now.."Doesn't violate the rules."

Fuck academia.