PDA

View Full Version : [Dragonslayer]

Jack Callahan
10-04-11, 07:49 PM
Dragonslayer

Of all the titles a man can bear, there is but one which stands alone. A king may rule a nation, having conquered it with no other wit than his own; a lord, prince, duke, or earl can possess treasures and wealth from the world over. A master craftsman may make things gilded and covered in gems, items so precious that eyes and hearts from every culture covet them. Magicians wield the very fabric of space and time, able to bend reality to their will, able to create and destroy with the same fickle nature as the gods. Even priests and their clergy demand the respect of both the mortal worlds, as well as those beyond our comprehension, far and deep into the realm of faith.

To all of these, only one man lifts his chin, refusing to accept an inferior status. No one bows to him; no one places a crown upon his head. There is no silver scepter that he carries to make his might known, no signet ring or velvet cloak draped across his shoulders. With his hands he can make nothing so well as he makes war. Archmages respect him and fear him, unable to do what he does with the same level of valor. The High Priest gives to him his blessing freely, placing a greater faith into him at times than he does to his own god.

When the village burns, they come to him. When the waters boil and the castle falls, they call upon him. When blood stains the fields crimson and ash chokes out the sky, they search him out and him alone. Of all the creatures of land, sea, and sky, he chooses to hunt the greatest. He does not battle with man, beast, monster, or god; but challenges the single creation that induces terror in all things of heaven and earth – and for the wyrm he is the one and only source of fear. No one can claim to be his kindred. His body is covered in the scars of his labor; but with lost flesh he has bought strength incomparable and legendary status. He is the hero, the champion, the mythological man. He is the dragonslayer.

Garrett Bodie

SirArtemis
10-04-11, 09:30 PM
I feel if you change the first line to say just "Of all the titles that man can bear, one stands alone." Or something that doesn't say dragonslayer. The build up is what matters, and giving it away in the title or first line detracts from the impact. Just my opinion.

Jack Callahan
10-04-11, 10:03 PM
I never thought about it beneath that light before but you are right (as you tend to be). You're a wordsmith, sir - I appreciate the assistance.