PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Death

Darkhawk76
08-17-06, 04:33 PM
Closed to these (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=2289)

Have you ever woken up and wondered why you were alive? Have your eyes flittered open to gaze up at a worn wooded ceiling, thinking it to be one of the greatest works of art? Have your fingers gently wiggled to prove that they are still, in fact, still movable? Have your hands scoured over your body, finding everything in its place? Have you ever woken up when you could have sworn you shouldn’t have?

In the world of Althanas, in a deep fertile valley, in the small village of Relaviv, I awoke in just such a manner.

I allowed myself a very rare smile as I finished proving I was alive.

“Finally.”

I turned my head to look up into the face of a middle aged woman. She was short and round, with a kindly face and rosy cheeks. She stood in the doorway of the small room I had awoken in, her hands carrying a basin with water, a towel, and some bandages.

“I was wondering how long you were going to be out. You’ve been asleep for two days and however long you were on the mountain side.”

I tried to speak, but my voice came raspy and dry. The woman was at my side then, grabbing a cup sitting on the bedside table, dipping it into the water, and bringing it to my lips. I drank three cupfuls before working my mouth around.

“Thank you,” I said in a hoarse voice.

She simply smiled. “My name’s Adia.”

I smiled back, thankful for her kindness. “Kyle.”

I was up and running in a few days. Adia was the matron of a small farming family in Relaviv, and also the town healer. She had no extraordinary powers, save that which only a woman born to be a caretaker truly has. Still, under her care I was able to get around on my own pretty quickly.

It was amazing really. I had multiple wounds that came from various weapons, a few cracked ribs, and a heavy dose of exhaustion. She was able to mend me though.

I spent my first day out of my small room walking around the small village. Everyone was friendly, though I believe some took affront at my lack of a smile. With my mending came back that lack of joy, so I responded to their smiles and great hellos with a simple wave.

I noticed the whispers though. They were quiet as mice, but a horde of mice makes a lot of noise.

“He came from the other side.”

“Do you think he’s a survivor?”

“Maybe he’s one of them.”

“I bet he killed ten bandits.”

“He helped slaughter those poor people.”

I knew what they were talking about. It was the most vivid thing in my mind. I couldn’t remember how I walked all the way over the mountain and into the valley, but I remember clearly what happened on the other side.

It was two days later that I was approached by a traveling bard. He introduced himself as Jean Gerard Arnal. The man gave only one try towards becoming my friend. I said in no uncertain terms, that I didn’t need one. Then he tried the forward approach.

“I am looking for the story of the town of Rovina. I believe you are one of the few who survived it.”

I looked at the man, smiling flamboyantly with a lute strapped to his back and a garish feather hat sitting atop his head.

“You mean you want to hear what I lived through. That isn’t a story. It really happened.”

“Of course it did. All good stories begin with the truth. The ones that don’t begin with it die away and are forgotten.”

His smile was infuriating. I smiled back. Mine wasn’t at all friendly.

“Alright, I’ll tell you what happened.”

“I came to Rovina for no real reason,” I began, “much as I came to all the villages before it. It was dirty and small, with too many people for its size. Besides that it was much like this one. It had its kind old women, gabbing old men, worrisome mothers, hardworking fathers, troublesome boys, and innocent girls.

“And pig pens. It had a lot of pig pens.

“After waking up from sleeping in a forest, I had made the decision to stay the next night in a bed, in whatever town or village I came across. I came across Rovina midmorning.

“Now I had a day to waste, because if I left for wherever it was I was going (which even I don’t know where that is), I would end up spending another night in the woods.

“Rovina was on the other side of the mountain as you know. It dealt in the lumber trade, cutting down lots of the forest that covers the mountain.

“Either way, I spent the morning of the first day in the local tavern. It was relatively empty, what with most of the workers out in the woods. It wasn’t anything fancy, some tables, and a bar. Only one barmaid was working since the mornings were so slow, and the tavern keeper was standing behind the bar, cleaning this one glass over and over.

“I took a seat and prepared to wait out the day. If I knew what was coming that night, I would have left the stinking mud hole that morning and been far away when the hell broke loose.

Witchblade
08-18-06, 11:41 PM
“It cannot be seen
But there’s blood on the green
Only God knows I’m innocent
Take me, take me home
A dark seed reigns in me
Like the storm rules over the sea
I challenge thee
Do not cross this bridge alone…*”

-------------------------

There are profound moments in a person’s life that changes its course. That sways the hands of fate just enough to move in another direction. That, perhaps even, has such an effect on that person as to change who and what they really are into some more, something better, something they weren’t before. This, was not one of those moments.

------------------------

Memento Mori…

Death is an inevitable force in everyday life. You can fight against it and you can win, but you have to come to terms with the reality that the world of Althanas is a kill or be killed society. No one cares how old you are, or your inability to protect yourself; you’re just kindling to feed the fires that burned within the hearts of men. The fires of greed that consume almost every human, the fires that eventually destroy them.

I am not human, I feel no such fire, but I do feel the hate towards them and the seed that burns within me to destroy every last one of them for no purpose but to. Never give in to the hate though, never succumb to it or it will destroy you life like the fire destroys everything else.

The world of men is not a place I tread upon lightly and not a place I prefer to go. I’d rather stay in my solitude, yet I always find myself in some human dwelling. One place or another, bored with the everyday. So I walk and I explore, I look for death and it finds me, yet never touches it. It pierces the skin of those around me and digs deep into the heart of those who dare to touch me, but never me. I used to want that death, now I could just care less. I’m content with watching its path of destruction and occasionally joining in on the fun.

On such an occasion I found myself in some small little Godforsaken town with a name I could have cared less about committing to memory. It was like that with all towns, they were all the same, blending into one backdrop of ceaseless human development and the slow decay of the natural world. Perhaps one of these days Mother Nature shall have her revenge upon them, but for now, they’d do the job for her and slowly kill themselves.

So, anyway, getting back on track here.

It started out like any normal day, spent in the darkened corner of a tavern. A glass in front of me that never needed refilling because I never drank from it and a plate with bread and a bowl with water. Those were for my pet dragon, Daegun, by the way. I don’t eat anything and nor do I drink anything. He eats and eats and just doesn’t grow, its rather annoying really.

I had no idea what was in store for me and the rest of the village when I’d first set foot in it. Thinking back on all that, know what was to come…I’d probably still have gone. It was fun after all; it alleviated the boredom of day-to-day life for those who never stopped living. Plus, bloodying my blades is an opportunity I can never afford to miss.

Witchblade set her pen aside. Her fingers running down the smooth pages of her journal, the ink already dry. Looking through the flames of the small fire before her, she spotted Daegun curled up in a little ball, the light dancing across his while scales and making them look orange. She knew what had happened in the village had been tougher on him than her; of course what happened in the village didn’t effect her at all. But he was still innocent to the way the world could be. He looked at it with wonder, he didn’t see the cynical side, he didn’t see how cruel and uncaring it could be. Yet, because of this he might have, this might change him more than she knew, he just wasn’t sure.

He was a dragon after all, no matter how naïve and sheltered. She would never completely understand him, though hopefully more so than she understood a human.

Taking a deep breath, Witch fell back against the blanket spread out behind her. Her head resting against the worn leather of her rucksack. Above her a million and one stars danced in the light sky, keeping the moon company. The sight was so familiar to her now. It was still beautiful and amazing, but she wished she could see it through the eyes of Daegun with all that wonder.

(*Blind Guardian - Battlefield)

Chiroptera
08-20-06, 03:05 PM
A pale, solitary figure moved intermittenly through the trees of the forest, stepping softly on the dead leaves that littered the ground. He was dressed in a dark green ensemble that was tight-fitting for silent movement and of thick, serviceable fabric. Stunningly white hair fell in uneven locks to his shoulders, sweeping forward as he moved to curtain a face that was nearly as colorless as his hair. Eyes of translucent slate scoured the forest before him as he moved, searching among the green for even the swiftest flash of color.

I know you're out here. He almost said it aloud, but opted instead for silence when the sound of rustling bushes came from his left. He stopped moving and softened his breathing, placing one pale hand on the trunk of the tree next to him. He drew it away with a grimace when it encountered a thick stream of sticky sap. With a muttered curse he was about to wipe his fingers on his pants when a small figure darted across a gap in the thicket in front of him.

"Eltarri!" He bellowed, breaking into a run. He crashed through the bushes, heedless of the noise, chasing blindly after the dark-haired woman he had glimsped. A frightened whimper made him veer suddenly, putting on a burst of speed as he tore through a thicket into a small, grassy clearing beside a trickling stream. On the other side of the creek, standing still in front of a massive oak, was the woman. She was short and lithe with long dark hair that drifted unbound down her back. A large, black-bladed sword hung unsheathed from her shoulders, shifting in time with her heavy breathing. She was facing away from him, her face lifted to the tree in front of her, arms limp at her sides.

The man swallowed hard at her unkempt appearance, wincing at the bloodstains that covered her clothes. He crossed the brook and stood slightly behind her.

"Eltarri?"

The woman in front of him didn't move, but a convulsive laugh came from her mouth.

"I thought it was blood," she said in a soft voice. With a frown the man looked at the tree in front of her. Amber sap poured in branching rivers down the trunk, glistening in the sparse light that broke through the foliage overhead.

"Are you . . ." He didn't know how to finish. Stepping tentatively forward, he lifted his hand to her shoulder, but she moved only a moment after he did. One hand was around the hilt of her sword and the other was on the clasp at her chest in an instant. She stepped away from him, black blade out of its sling and a foot away from his face, legs spread in a ready stance, golden eyes filled with frantic wariness. He noticed subconsciously that she handled the sword with more familiarity than she had the last time he'd seen her use it.

"Stay away from me," she snarled. "Don't think I won't kill you!"

"You won't hurt me," he replied, narrowing his eyes challengingly. "You can't hurt me."

Without a sound she jumped forward, sword swinging clumsily at his head. He waited until it was an inch from his ear before he congealed the air around her, stopping her motion instantly. Ochre eyes widened in surprise as the woman found herself unable to move, suspended with one foot off the ground and arms stretched in the process of cleaving his head in two. Letting out an angry growl she began to struggle against her invisible restraint, thrashing like an animal in a cage.

The man watched her for a moment with a mix of consternation and alarm. She had actually tried to kill him! He had come searching for her after hearing rumors about a strangely-armed female that had taken up residence in the forest shortly after the whole Rovina fiasco. Since he'd lost track of the sword-bearing elf that had once saved his life, he decided to act on instinct and pursue the rumors. But the wild banshee in front of him wasn't the same girl he'd left outside of Scara Brae. What could have happened that would turn her into the animal before him?

"Let me go!"

The shriek brought the man back to the present. He stepped forward and placed his hands against the sides of her face, gently turning her head until her frenzied eyes met his.

"Eltarri?" he murmured. "Do you know me?"

For a moment the tawny eyes were still, filled with the hatred of the captive for her captor. Then they changed, widening with recognition as they flickered across his face.

"Syral?"

He nodded wordlessly, troubled by the cuts and bruises that covered her face and arms. "Were you in Rovina?"

Tears rushing to fill her eyes, she nodded.

Anger coursed through the wind-mage. He'd warned her about getting into situations that were beyond her. How could he have been stupid enough to leave her on her own? Filled with self-directed disgust he liquidated the air around her.Caught off-balance by the sudden freedom Eltarri dropped to the ground, landing heavily on her stomach.

"What happened?" He demanded, frowning down at her.

The half-elf moved slowly, pulling herself into a cross-legged seat and resting her sword across her knees. She stared blankly up at Syral for a moment, then shook her head.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Well, too bad," he retorted, crossing his arms over his chest. "I want to know what happened, and you're going to sit there until I find out."

"I'm thirsty," she declared defiantly.

"Start talking and I'll think about getting you a drink," he answered. Eltarri frowned and began to unconsciously rub her sword with the tattered sleeve of her jacket.

"I was in Rovina because someone told me that I could find a wizard there," she began.

"You still haven't found a bloody wizard?" he asked incredulously.

"All the ones I've found are as corrupt as you or too weak to help me," she answered indignantly. "But they said that the one in Rovina was able to travel to different realms. I thought he could help me find a way to get to my father."

"Whatever," Syral interrupted shortly. "What happened?"

"I'm getting there!" Eltarri smacked her hand against the sword in exasperation. "The trip there was terrible. I had to go through a hideous swamp, and then I kept getting lost in the forest. Climbing up that mountain was the most horrid thing I've ever done, but going down the other side-,"

"Look, elf, I don't want to hear about your ineptitude. What went on in Rovina?"

Eltarri gave the tall albino a withering look, but he returned her gaze with an unyielding frown. Sighing, the half-elf turned back to her sword.

"Fine," she muttered. "I arrived at Rovina the day before they came. The first thing I did was get an inn room, and then I slept. I didn't get outside until that night."

A soft smile crossed her scratched face and her eyes took on a faraway dreaminess.

"That was when I met the Club. . .

((Not referring to the thieves.))