PDA

View Full Version : Dalasi Yrene, the Swordswane (Level 0)

Dalasi
03-03-12, 12:17 PM
The Swordswane

Name: Dalasi Yrene
Title: Captain, Swordswane
Race: Hummel (Falren)
Homeland: The Under Dark
Religion: The World Eater Cult
Alignment: True Neutral
Siblings: Cydnar Yrene, Nihjar Yrene
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 9 stone
Eye Colour: Fuchsia
Hair Colour: Light Grey

History:

Dalasi Yrene is the youngest of three siblings, born into the Royal House of Yrene one hundred and seventy years ago. He was born a Falren, what the Hummel consider being one of their kin who leans more to one side of their heritage than the other. In Dalasi’s case, he is Dark Elf, and is one of the few Falren who have ever been born into a noble house (it is, in effect, a genetic throwback). This explains his lack of geomagnetic abilities, though this is just as much to do with his lack of utter faith in Yrene, and his focus at a young age on the sword, as opposed to the sorcery.

Whilst his brothers were enthralled by their extensive education, Dalasi spurned the lessons on history, religion and politics in favour of sparring with the other Salthias that looked after him in his youth. At age fifty, when he was first legally entitled to do so, he enrolled in the regular Hummel army and served on the front line as a private, a new recruit, and a front line scout. During the Corpse War, he proved his worth time and time again, though seldom got involved in the great battles of the war. He was responsible for disrupting the flow of battle between Xem’Zund’s undead hosts and the high elven flotillas, ensuring that the outcome of the war drew a close when the Hummel were ready to aid the Dawnbringers in the darkness.

His keen mind have awarded him with an early promotion, at the age of one hundred and fifty, and he is soon, given his efforts to unite the factions in the Civil War, and his continued services as a strategist advisor to his brother since he was promoted to High Salthias, to take on the role of Captain of the Guard when Ict ascends to the surface of Berevar. Though he naturally scorns politics, he has a gift with kindness that can sometimes be surprising, as many assume he is a dark elf, and that his heart lies elsewhere, not with the protection of his kin.

Dalasi replaces Nihjar Yrene, and was awarded NPC status initially in Our Roots Run Deep (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?22958-Our-Roots-Run-Deep-(Closed)&highlight=Dalasi). History kept brief, as it is to be explored in The Semantics Of Sundering (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?21829-The-Semantics-Of-Sundering-(Solo)&highlight=Dalasi).

Skills:

Salthias Initiate – Dalasi is a competent and adjusted fighter, skilled in the use of his blade and the direct application of his armour as a living weapon. Though by tradition, he is but a pupil of the style, he has already outmatched his brother Cydnar when he was younger, who is now considered peerless amongst the ranks of the Hummel military. He has an above average grasp of swordplay.

Explorer – Dalasi has spent nearly a century exploring the catacombs, geodes and ruins that dwell beneath the surface of Althanas. He has accrued adequate knowledge of the creatures, dangers and wonders that exist in these dark and inhospitable areas, and can identify the majority of flora and fauna that exist in caves, underground lakes and grottos. He can survive on the creatures that dwell here, as he is able to identity edible life forms and can prepare fires, and other simple camping equipment from the dwindling natural resources of the Under Dark. He is able to identity compass directions and the depth of his current location and water sources on the surface from the geomagnetic fields and geology of his environ.

Abilities:

Child of the Under Dark (Hummel) – As a Hummel, Dalasi is afforded certain resiliencies and a prolonged life cycle, but lacks the greater talents one might expect from the elven races (given the Hummel are a bastardisation of High and Dark). As such, he is immune to all snake poisons, resilient against non-magical disease, and can see very well in low light.

Lightning Reflexes – Dalasi is innately quick, even for his kin. As a Falren, a regressed generation of Hummel that is darker elf than high, he has X1.5 modifier to speed (which does not extend to running speed or stamina, or ground coverage).

Military Strategist – Dalasi is immensely wise about military practice, combat styles, logic and physics and their applications to a combat situation. In any combat situation, he is able to predict the ebb and flow of battle, both of his own troops, and those of the enemy. He can disrupt supply lines, counter flanking movements and outwit generals many years his senior; a trait that has seen the young Falren promoted to Captain in an exceptionally short time (Knowledge of Warfare, Arms, Armour and Strategy – Adept). In combat, this manifests as a -0.25 modifier to either natural speed, strength (against single handed weapons and strength modifiers of less than X3 only), or a single downgrade to their weapon skill, representing Dalasi’s ability to predict and counter incoming blows. Only one modifier can be active at any one time.

Equipment:

Syndail – Syndail is a single edged, curved steel short sword. It is a lightweight, practical blade with a grip long enough to hold in one hand, or two, and works well with the water and wind style of the Salthias arts.

Haematite Platemail – Dalasi constantly wears a suit of thin scale mail, and a heavy (for an elf) Platemail suit of haematite, which looks like dull, greening bronze plates that are ornate but sturdy. (This counts as steel, but requires geomancy to repair). Despite its relative size, it does not hinder Dalasi’s movement, but his running stamina is -0.5 that of an unarmoured elf when it is worn.

Letho
03-03-12, 01:20 PM
Seeing as you technically have more than one ability under the Child of the Under Dark (albeit, not overly powerful ones), I'm going to ask that the -0.5% modifier goes down to 0.25 and affects only one thing of the three you mentioned. This is mostly because it's a constant effect. And at 0.25, people with normal speed won't be slowed down to a crawl in his eyes, which would've been unfair.

Now, the Syndail is something I don't think I can approve. For one, the thread in question hasn't been judged so it's highly questionable whether or not it will actually be rewarded. More so because mythril is too high of a material for a level zero character. And then there's the conundrum with the fact that this character doesn't exist on this account until it is approved, and until he does, he cannot acquire all the good stuff, like the EXP, GP and spoils. Even if I approved the profile without the sword, I don't see how it can be awarded to a profile that was created after the thread in question and never participated in the thread itself. I understand that this is a character you used in your stories before, but the rules are pretty simple here. Before you can start to roleplay a character as a full blown character, you need to have it approved, and then make him participate in a thread to reap the rewards. I'm afraid you did it a bit backwards in this case.

Dalasi
03-03-12, 01:25 PM
I have amended the Military Strategist ability to 0.25 as requested, and so that it only affects one of the three at any one time.

I appreciate the concern with the sword. Dalasi was an NPC (awarded in Our Roots Run Deep) and in writing United By A Cold Desire, I realised that he'd make a better PC than Nihjar was (who I have not used at all).

Would it be acceptable to 'lock' it for now, or request it at level 1 when the related thread is judged, and the remainder of the profile is approved? In which case, make Syndail haematite (steel strength, quartz core).

Duffy
03-03-12, 01:32 PM
Removed Syndail's mithril properties, it's now a standard steel blade :).

Letho
03-03-12, 01:37 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we can say it's locked for now and you can see what happens with that thread. The decision whether or not it's awarded and whether or not it's awarded to this character is ultimately out of my hands. It's something a judge of the thread in question will end up deciding. I would advise you to explain the circumstances to the judge before he/she decides on the spoils.

EDIT: Ah, I see you made the edit. Very well. You are approved. Thank you for your cooperation and welcome to Althanas.