PDA

View Full Version : IK vs PA Gisela Battle

Enigmatic Immortal
03-30-12, 10:30 PM
This Battle will open at Midnight tonight!

I will be announcing who is participating in this before hand if I get both sides match ups in time. If by that time none is given I will assign the fighter. Remember that whoever posts first sets the parameters for the fight as well as the setting!

Enigmatic Immortal
03-30-12, 11:33 PM
This Battle is going to be:

Tainted Bushido vs Christoph

Christoph
04-01-12, 11:19 PM
Dusk fell over Gisela, the site of many ancient battles and the last free port in Corone. Protected from Imperial control by the Rangers, it would provide the safest way home for a Salvic fugitive. Elijah Belov, one of the many 'lost wolves' that fled Salvar during the War of Flesh, stood on a rooftop overlooking the sea. He leaned against the railing and took in the warm, salty breeze. The setting sun cast a golden glow across the waves; it reminded him of the shimmering, frozen hills of home.

Home. The word echoed again in his thoughts. He had left Salvar two years prior to avoid capture and death at witch hunters' hands. He made a new life in Corone and Scara Brae, but could never shake his desire to go back. Back home. For many months he wondered at its folly. What meaning did 'home' have, anymore? What was left of it besides burned houses and frozen corpses? To return would only invite further persecution and death in a kingdom that would not welcome him.

So why return now? Why return at all? These questions plagued him more acutely than ever, but his silent answer remained the same. Because it's my home. He never forgave himself for abandoning Salvar in her darkest hour, while he still possessed the strength to fight. He remembered each war report he received while in exile, detailing burned villages, the sack of the capital city of Knife's Edge, and the massacre of thousands. Each time, he wondered if by his life or death he could have prevented any of the atrocities. He sighed, anxious and melancholy, but determined.. All that would change, now. After two years of building his reputation and making the right friends, he found a way home. He could finally set things right.

"Elijah Belov." The voice shook Eli from his reverie. He did not turn though, for he knew who approached.

"Alexander Kitaev," he replied amiably.

"Good evening." Kitaev's voice kept a hint of a Salvic accent, with harsher vowels and thicker consonants. He walked up and leaned against the railing next to Elijah. "Now tell me, my friend, does the horizon fascinate you so much? I always find you gazing toward it."

"The horizon holds possibility." The two always began their conversations with the philosophical and symbolic. Eli finally glanced at his companion; he was a distinguished man of middle years with a black and grey beard and simple, but well-made clothes. He was an exiled noble from Salvar, another 'lost wolf' looking to return to his pack.

"Yes, but you can never reach the horizon."

"Have you ever tried to?" asked Elijah. Alexander only chuckled in response, both to concede the point and move on to business. "What brings you up here, Alexander? I didn't expect to see you until we departed tomorrow."

"Some things have changed, I'm afraid. Your presence here has been discovered, and..." He struggled for words.

"Perhaps I could more efficiently explain." Elijah turned toward the new voice with a start. It floated like a soft melody through the air. When he laid eyes upon its source, he understood why, and also why he never heard the newcomer approach. She was an elf, lithe and slender like whipcord: strong but beautiful, with black hair and fiery gold eyes. She wore a dark green cloak over boiled leather. She revealed her identity just as Eli guessed it. "I am Captain Nadiliya of the Rangers in Gisela. I will waste little time for we have none to spare. I know who you are, Elijah. I know what you did during the war in Salvar, and I have need of your help."

Tainted Bushido
04-02-12, 12:06 AM
War had come to Corone.

The Ixian Knights had been preparing for this very event. They had trained for this very day, and now that it was here Taka could feel a sense of anticipation in the air. The army had marched forward undaunted, reaching the city of Gisela, the first major city to be the target of the pacification efforts. Taka himself had been given leadership of the army on the move. It certainly put him off to be trusted so much by Sei, who by far was the better tactician. Sei however, had committed to the fight elsewhere and the Ronin at least had a modicum of battlefield training.

It also helped that he was the attacker in this scenario.

Gisela was likened to a fortress. The city having fallen into the hands of the Corone Rangers towards the end of the civil war that weakened the infrastructure of the continent. Sei Orlouge, Taka's lord, had pointed out that by taking Gisela it allowed the Ixian Knights a chance at ending the war in one fell swoop. Surely Radasanth would capitulate to the people that managed to wipe out their enemy without question, and in doing so allow the war to come to a neat conclusion. It was perhaps for the best that Taka had been put in charge of the forces. Being neutral in the affairs of the Corone War it would offer a sense of impartiality in what he was attempting to accomplish.

In the realm of battle it was far easier to Attack than to Defend. Defense required one to be able to withstand the hammer blows of anything the enemy could bring down upon them. Defense required a strength of will to hold the morale of the troops high. Defending was by far the worst of the two options for the Ronin who had already dealt with such problems in protecting a village in eastern Akashima. In doing so he had garnered a minor victory for himself and so the mute tactician had passed the honor of the first blow in the war to Taka.

The ronin moved the forces of the Ixian Knights through the forests of Concordia and managed to assemble the forces on the far side in the fields about Gisela. His eyes looked upon the city as well as the river that ran through it. This would be easier than he thought, as he now had at least two points of egress into the city. His eyes scanned over the area looking for advantages before he held up a hand halting the column marching out of the forest.

Taka was dressed today in a black kimono with his porcelain mask firmly in position. He had however forgone the normal bandages that sought to hide the mark of his tainted state. The sun was beginning to set over the valley allowing him the cover of darkness. He let out a soft sigh of contentment and closed his eyes relishing in the feeling of war. His blood sang in his veins as he felt the sure confidence of achieving the very thing he was created to prosecute. However, there were concessions that Taka had been told to give, before he would be allowed to fight this battle. The rangers were honorable fighters, it would be up to Taka to give them the honorable way out.

Looking over his shoulder Taka gave a soft smile and gestured forward a soldier clearly bearing the uniform of the Ixian Knights. He then reached into his kimono and produced a scroll sealed in wax with the mark of the Ixian Knights and spoke firmly, "Deliver this message. It will be a request for parlay tomorrow morning. You are to be as polite as possible and ignore any slight given to you. Wait for an answer and if they accept notify them to meet just after dawn at the front gates of their city."

The messenger ran down nto the valley clutching a broken spear, the sign of parlay. Taka watched the man go even as the shadows in the valley deepened allowing Taka a momentary smile before he said over his shoulder, "Erikson-san."

"Yes General?" The reply was prompt, even in these times. The ronin didn't need to turn around to know the man was hefting his standard crossbow over a shoulder, eying the valley much in the same way as his leader.

"I want two groups of scouts readied. The first group should be as inexperienced as possible. The second should be the ones who are adept at stealth. Let the first go before you tell the second their purpose. I want to know the readiness and disposition of the Ranger's forces. Do not tell the first group they are beng followed, if they are caught they are caught. If they make it back consider them for proper scout duty. Let the actual scouts watch from hiding and record what they see. Have them come back when they have a good feeling for the forces at work here," Taka said firmly.

Axel Erikson was at one time a caravan guard for Fallien caravans. When bandits could strike from anywhere it created a healthy dose of paranoia, as well as a hair trigger shooter. The man had been haunted by the death of his partner in crime Lucas Briggs, and it was only recently Erikson had begun to return to his former self. His eyes still held a haunted quality before he nodded somberly and moved back amongst the men, trying to find the volunteers necessary to enact the plan.

Christoph
04-03-12, 10:05 PM
"You still haven't told me what's going on." Annoyance crept into Elijah's voice. The sky slowly darkened as he walked the cobbled streets with Alexander, the Captain, and two other Rangers. He now wore a light blue cloak over simple grey clothes; during his time in Corone, he had gained some notoriety for wearing his old chef attire on a daily basis, but it no longer felt appropriate. "What help do you need? And where are we going?"

Kitaev held up a placating hand. "Patience, my friend. The good captain will tell you everything in good time. I am equally curious."

"Indeed," replied Nadiliya. "Once we reach the barracks, I can explain. Away from prying eyes and eager ears." She sounded calm and professional, but her eyes darted about nervously. "Come, we have almost arrived."

The group turned a corner and the barracks loomed before them. It was an old grey stone keep that towered over the wooden buildings surrounding it. Green banners fluttered atop walls patrolled by armored guards. Faint drums echoed from the ramparts; it was the city's cold granite heart. The captain led them through the gates. The soldiers posted at the entrance gave the mismatched group odd looks, but offered no objections. They navigated torch-lit corridors and climbed several flights of stairs in silence.

Elijah sighed impatiently. "Where are you taking--" Captain Nadiliya opened the door at the top of the stairs, ushering in a wave of cool autumn air.

"Come," she replied simply, leading them onto the central tower's roof. "You arrived in Gisela at a dire time. It is best that you see for yourself." They reached the northeastern edge and she handed Elijah a brass looking glass. He held it to his eye, looking beyond Gisela's old stone walls, and scanned the fields outside of the city.

"I don't see... Wait." His eyes adjusted to the waning dusk light and he saw it. Them. Hundreds of shadowy silhouettes dotted the open fields. "Is that...?"

"An army, yes," said the captain. She walked up next to him, peering over the crenellations.

"An Imperial strike force? No, that can't be right. I don't see any red banners."

"Those are the Ixian Knights."

Belov lowered the looking glass. "What are they doing here?"

"You do not know?" The elf turned away from the edge and began pacing back and forth on the stone tiles. "Barely a week ago, their leader, Sei Orlouge, declared the Ixian Knights' intent to seize control of Corone."

"Conquer all of Corone? That sounds delusional to me." The young Salvic exile raised an eyebrow. "And I'm an expert on delusions of grandeur."

"Do not underestimate them," she warned. "They have gathered a staggering amount of support in recent months. They stand poised to topple the Imperial regime."

"Isn't that what you Rangers want?"

"Sei has no interest in restoring the Republic." She spat out the words like bitter bile. "He claims that the Ixian Knights seek to uphold righteousness and defend the common folk, but it is a ploy. They challenge the Empire even as they march troops up to my city. No, Sei Orlouge seeks to rule, and a dictatorship, no matter how benevolent it claims to be, has no place in Corone."

"And why did you seek me out?" Eli asked, already disliking the conversation's direction. "You said you needed my help? Why? What sort of help?"

"The forces at my command are limited. I have a handful of Rangers here and too few professional soldiers prepared to defend the city. Most are militia, either poorly trained or too old to make effective warriors." She turned to Elijah, her proud eyes pleading. "I cannot hold this city with the forces I command. I need any help I can find."

"I'm one man, Nadiliya. You overestimate my usefulness."

"Spare me the false modesty." Her eyes turned to iron and her voice to stone. "I heard of your exploits during the civil war in Salvar. I know what power you wield; some call you one of the most powerful sorcerers in the known world. That may not be true, but I have seen you fight in the Citadel, and during the war games."

"And you hope that if I can't inspire your soldiers, I'll at least destroy half of the enemy army myself? Right?" Eli rolled his eyes and turned his back to her, shifting his gaze again toward the fields. "So... what, then? Do you want to hire me as a mercenary?" He laughed derisively. "My dear, I don't think you could afford me."

"I do not wish to hire you," the captain shot back, her voice rising for the first time since they met. "I am asking you to help us!"

Belov turned back to face her, scowling. "Help you by involving myself in a war that has nothing to do with me! Yes, that sounds appealing." He finally looked to Alexander, who had stood still and silent throughout the exchange. "You've been quiet. What do you think I should do?"

"This is your decision. By your word, we can leave here come morning and never look back." Then, Kitaev stood straighter. "Or, should you choose to stay, I will gladly gather my household and fight at your side."

"Why should I help you?" asked the sorcerer, meeting the captain's gaze. The simple question hung in the night air like a curious smell. Under other circumstances, Eli might have paid more notice to how the dancing torchlight haloed Nadiliya's beautiful face. Now, he saw only the thoughts churning like a storm in her almond-shaped eyes as she weighed his question. When she finally spoke, her voice was little more than a whisper.

"I heard stories about you before you ever came to Corone, you know. I followed the events in Salvar during the war there, wondering how far the conflict would spread. I know that you led a resistance against the Church of the Ethereal Sway for over a year, yet you refused to bend a knee and side with the new coalition of lords. Like me, you were not willing to trade one tyrant for another. Why should you now?"

"Because Salvar was my home," he replied, more harshly than he intended. He clenched his fists. "You've all survived the Imperial rule, and you'll all survive whatever the Ixian Knights bring. I don't care which new tyrant rules your country."

"You selfish..." growled the Captain. She quickly composed herself and steadied her voice. "You lived here for two years. You made a life and a fortune here. You were a fugitive in Salvar, yet Corone welcomed you! It is your home too, as much as it is mine."

"Maybe for a time it was, but I'm leaving tomorrow." Belov shook his head wearily. "I have too much fighting ahead of me already, and you want me to fight even more. I should have just risked the ports in Radasanth instead of coming here."

"Do you think it happened by accident that you arrived here mere days before an invading army?" she asked, her voice taking on a strange, surreal tone. "You were meant to be here."

"I doubt that." His words rushed from agitated lips. "Fate and I aren't on speaking terms. And neither are we." He turned and began walking away, and Nadiliya called after him.

"Two years ago you fled a nation in its time of need. Are you prepared to do so again?"

Elijah stopped short and clenched his jaw and tightened his fists until they hurt. Fire danced in his eyes as anger rose like a serpent from his chest. He felt his blood grow hot. He turned and glared at the elf, and she met his look with a level gaze. She was right, which stung even worse. If he ran now, would he receive war reports in Salvar, detailing massacres in Corone? Massacres he could have stopped. How could he leave to fight for one nation while abandoning those who needed him right here and now? Would he be able to live with himself after that?

"If you can wound as effectively with your bow as you can with your words, you hardly need my aid." He exhaled slowly and loosened his fists. "Fine. I'll help you defend your city. Gods, I must be crazy, but what harm is one more battle?" A tiny smile crept onto Nadiliya's face, but before she could say anything, the door to the roof swung open and a guard rushed through.

"Captain Nadiliya!" The guard sounded urgent. "We intercepted a messenger."

"I wondered when one would arrive." She turned to Eli and Kitaev. "Excuse me one moment." She followed after the guard through the door, leaving the two Salvic exiles alone. The older man grinned widely.

"What?" Eli rolled his eyes. "Is this where you say that you're proud of me for staying to fight for these people?"

"Perhaps," the Salvic noble replied. "More importantly, this will be where I tell you not to die before we reach our homeland again."

"I'm good at not dying."

The captain poked her head through the door. "You had best get an early rest tonight, Elijah Belov. The enemy commander seeks a parlay at first light, and I want you there."

Later that night...

With the silent grace of desert foxes, the ranger sergeant Lysander stalked along the riverbanks, his dark green and brown garb melting into the terrain. Fifteen others followed him, similarly dressed and carrying longbows in ready hands. Like pools of shadow, they drifted between rocks and shrubs. A certain tension hung in the air. He knew it well; others shared the night with them.

He held up two fingers to halt his band as he scanned the river's opposite side. He spotted them immediately -- silhouettes against the moonlight, stumbling through the gravel and mud. Sloppy. One of his men drew back his bow, but Lysander grabbed the arrow.

"No," he whispered in his gravely voice. While not a legendary warrior, Lysander was a veteran of guerilla warfare; he knew all the tricks. "They might be baiting us. We can't give up our position. Return to the city and alert the sentries and the captain. Make sure that they keep the bulk of the garrison inside the city walls, preferably in the barracks. We must deny as much information as possible." The Ranger nodded and lowered his bow, heading silently toward the city. Lysander pressed onward, evading the enemy scouts and heading toward the Ixian Knight camp. Anything they learned could prove vital.

Tainted Bushido
04-05-12, 02:29 AM
Permission to bunny the NPCs under Christoph as well as Elijah (albeit minor) granted.

Taka rose before the dawn, his sword going through the motions of each kata, preparing for the talk that would be coming. His movement was fluid and precise, each one blending seamlessly into the next creating a flowing style of battle slowed to the point of aching artistry. The ritualized movements of his sword arts cleared his mind as he went through each cut and parry with grace. Each swing of the sword was accompanied with a shout, giving the count of the kata. Each shout charging his soul for the battle he knew to be coming, despite the fact he would not be drawing blade and fighting on the front lines. He knew he had attracted the small crowd of those who would be heading to the gates of Gisela with him, and continued through the movements, ignoring them.

He closed his eyes letting his focus remain even as he heard the distracting movement of fabric. He was certain that one of them was about to call out for Taka to stop his preparations before he heard the voice, soft but deliberate. The hushing whisper of Erikson filtered through the morning, "Don't bother, he won't respond even if you yelled it at the top of your lungs."

"He has no reason to prepare for battle if he will not be drawing steel for this war!" The words of indignation were jarring to the morning quiet, making a few birds awaken and fly off from the nearby trees with their resounding baritone. This had to be Viktor, the leader of the Chaplains that Taka had brought with him.

"Of course he does, only an idiot doesn't get ready to fight. You think Taka wants to be sitting back shouting orders? The guy nearly killed himself trying to get involved in the fighting, he's not going to do it again," Erikson was of course talking of the small village in Akashima he had saved from bandits. He had tried to be everywhere at once and had collapsed in fatigue when he had left the third fight. His inexperience had nearly cost everyone when Adolph was forced to take command. It was a hard lesson to learn, but Taka couldn't lead and fight, he needed to choose which he was to do, and that decision had been made for him in this case.

A grumble of begrudging respect left the chaplain's lips before with a harsh swing the blade came to a stop. Taka opened his eyes staring right at Erikson and Viktor before he carefully sheathed his sword and moved to his silk bag. Reaching in he grabbed the Hakama of his kimono and carefully put it in, before tucking his daisho into the belt at his side. He then reached for the porcelain mask that would serve as his symbol of status. The white porcelain smooth and flawless with the exception of seven Akashiman characters that represented the tenants of bushido.

It was then he grabbed the rat's tail nodachi. This would be its first test in a true fight since he had fought Shiryko Benimaru in Concordia forest atop the back of the Rootwalker. He had grown since that battle, but he could not help but feel the ominous portent that the bearing of the blade to a meeting would bring. It was a silent reminder to his opponent that he was a warrior, and that he needn't be the polite courtier he was forced to act as. It irked him to play politician, but with a war such as this, he could understand the sentiment. They were to try and salvage Corone for its people, there would be no such people to save if they ruthlessly slaughtered them all.

It was not until the Nodachi had been firmly fixed to his back that he turned to see the rest of the group. Anastasia Ryos was a blonde haired woman of modest looks and the lieutenant of sorts to Aislinn Orlouge the Ixian Knights chief medical officer. Though her surrogate father had taken the reigns of the medical ward, it was obvious to anyone watching the medics who was truly in charge. She had given him her best students for this battle on the promise he would do everything he could to bring them back alive. It was a promise easily given by the Ronin who even now had ensured they rested in the heart of the camp, where the least danger of harm was present.

Next was Erikson, a personal friend and Lieutenant who had been with Taka since the Mercenary Company had been founded in the Ixian Knights. The man had seen the ronin at his best and worst and though haunted by his friend's death, was staunchly loyal to the Ixian General. He was a master of the crossbow, shooting at a speed that almost matched the bow with how easily he pulled the draw of his crossbow back. If Taka ever lost Erikson he knew that there would be no replacement, just as there hadn't been for his best friend, Lucas Briggs.

The chaplain who even now was dressed in the customary breast plate of his order was Viktor Kratikoff. A native of Salvar, he had fled before the armies of the Church of the Ethereal Sway. He wore the black robes of his order over the breastplate while keeping his black hair neatly trimmed along with a beard. It gave him a distinguished look at odds with the man's sour attitude. Looking for a cause that would somehow allow him to return to his homeland, Viktor had enlisted in the Ixian Knights. From there he was selected by Adolph Gretzel the Reclusiarch and leader of the Chaplain Corp and from there had become clay in the hands of the former Knight of the Apocalypse. The dour attitude of the man was only matched by his fervent zeal in the heat of battle where he truly felt the joy of war.

Negotiating party assembled they moved across the fields, the broken spear haft from yesterday taken in hand. Taka himself bore the broken weapon, being the reason for its necessity and despite Viktor's objection to the act. Viktor only muttered about being too involved before they made their way across the fields. The wide plains about Gisela was only filled with the occasional brush or odd tree. It was easy to notice the doors of the great city open only part ways before they closed once more, letting a small group of people exit from city.

Undaunted, the ronin continued forward until they were a comfortable distance from the group that would represent the defenders of Gisela. The Dark Blade of the Ixian Knights despite his normal custom was not wearing his mask, revealing the inky blackness that slashed across his face, and the milky white iris of his left eye. Despite the discoloration the orb still functioned as well as ever, giving him the unsettling ability to stare at a person, seeming to gaze into their soul with his milky eye. A look he reserved only for intimidation tactics and new recruits who had pushed the ronin too far. Here it was merely an underlining fact, that Taka was in fact here and not some duplicitous actor attempting to coerce the enemy into an assassination attempt. His right hand firmly held onto the mask as he waited for the rest of his group to fall into position behind him.

He looked at each of the would be diplomats in turn before he bowed, moving stiffly forward until he had strained to a forty five degree angle. The measure of respect given he straightened himself and spoke softly, his voice carrying to the group but not far beyond it, "I take it you are the Rikugunshokan of Gisela?"

There was a woman who stepped forward was an elf wearing a green cloak. The boiled leather made it easy to surmise to Taka he was speaking to a warrior. This made the polite smile he gave her easy, he hated talking to politicians and there was a chance the woman would be agreeable to the terms of this battle should it come to that. "I do not know what a..." She gestured as if attempting to not slaughter the pronunciation, "Rikugunshokan is, but if you mean the ones in charge, yes of course."

"Many apologies, I meant the General," Taka replied head bowed to underline the statement. He then looked back at the group who was fanned out behind him and spoke candidly, "I will not waste your time with idle talk then. I am the ronin Taka of the Ixian Knights, leader of the Mercenary Company. I am here to offer an alliance in an effort to unify Corone under one banner again, and fortify it against outside threats even now we know are amassing."

A soft snort left the delicate features of the general as she pushed raven tresses back behind an ear and spoke, her tone harsh, "We have fought this long to oust one dictator. I would not trade one tyrant for another. Tell your master that we are not lapdogs looking to play for his amusement."

He could hear Viktor's harsh intake of breath before the ronin held out a gauntlet clad hand, cutting off the biting retort of the Chaplain before he looked back and give the man his "soul gazing" stare. The man didn't flinch, but he could see the look of irritation focus on him, rather than his opponent and was content with that for now.

"Would you readily throw away the lives of your men for such words? General, we seek to go after Radasanth soon after this engagement. I do not wish to do so with conscripts to replace my men, I would rather it be with the Rangers of Corone at my side. I would ask that you reconsider your words, lest you create suffering where there need not be any," Taka said once more after he finally turned back to the elf meeting the gaze of her golden eyes and lowered his arm.

"I have heard of you Taka, you are nothing more than an attack dog for Sei Orlouge. Tell him if he wished to get our help in the matter, sending his errand boy to do his dirty work is not the way to gain any form of trust with us," The elf replied.

Taka looked down and let out a sigh before he looked up and met the gaze of the enemy leader. She raised an eyebrow in challenge before Taka opened his mouth, and spoke words only Erikson could have seen coming, "Then I offer you one last chance to avoid unnecessary bloodshed. I put forth a challenge to you General. Let us fight in single combat in these very plains before this very city. If you should claim victory over me, I will leave without any retribution. My army and command would fall back and will never return. If you should lose, I would take control of the city of Gisela. Your people would join the Ixian Knights and in doing so put an end to the need for this battle."

Taka could sense the tension in the air, thick enough to cut through with his katana. He eyed the entire entourage, meeting each one's gaze with a determination as he felt his warrior spirit kindle in his chest, a raging inferno of anticipation. Carefully the mask was put upon his face, covering its features to hide the anticipation that was surely to cross it soon. He mentally counted to ten before he spoke once more his accent thick as he spoke firmly, "Will you step forward and face me?"

Christoph
04-06-12, 01:47 PM
Bunnied dialogue worked out via PM and approved.
For a long moment, Taka's challenge hung silently in the air like a foul smell. Even the wind went still, as though the sky itself held its breath. Captain Nadiliya's lieutenant stood at attention to her right, a man dressed in the blue-trimmed armor of the city guard. Elijah stood directly to her left, wearing a well-cut burgundy cloak over a black vest and trousers. By design, he looked very unlike a warrior.

He ran his fingers idly through his wavy brown hair and silently awaited his moment to speak. The enemy commander had made a clever move. What better way to paint oneself as honorable and just to the masses than by issuing a challenge, knowing that the other side could not accept?

At last, Captain Nadiliya shook her head. "If it comes to it, I will gladly face you on the field of battle. However, I cannot and will not gamble the fate of this city on my own prowess."

"I am sorry to hear that, General," Taka replied.

"Captain."

"Captain. It appears we are at an impasse." The man's disappoint seemed almost... genuine. "If that is the case, then I would suggest we put forth any stipulations to the coming battle between us." Sensing his opening, Elijah Belov stepped forward.

"You bring an invasion to Gisela and call it an alliance." Eli turned his fiery gaze toward Taka. To the other man's credit, he did not flinch or falter. They met each other's eyes, and Belov took the ronin's measure, noting the sickly pallor of his skin and the necrotic black streak across his face. "What quarter do you expect here? The only 'stipulation' is that you march your army away from here or watch it crumble around you. Or, if you crave a personal duel so much, face me instead. I will gladly accept your challenge in the captain's stead."

"I would recommend that you return to your place," said Taka with a voice made of ice and a face like he had just stepped in something foul. "This is not a conversation involving you."

"My place is between you and this city." A wolfish grin flashed across Belov's face. "And your place--"

"Enough," said the captain. "No, I will not gamble Gisela on your prowess either, formidable though it may be."

"Very well, Nadiliya" Elijah turned to address Taka again. "If your cause is truly righteous, then leave here peacefully. March on Radasanth and topple the corrupt empire that rules it. Free this land and bring about justice for its people. Then disband. Abandon this conquest and return Corone to the republic it was meant to be."

"If you truly believed that a mere army of my size could take Radasanth, the Rangers would have had the city already," His tone was frigid as he turned back to the captain. "I have orders to bring Gisela into the fold and you will not stand down. I can only make so many concessions to you and your army before I am forced to act in accordance with those orders. War is a cruel force and it need not be so in this case. State your terms of battle so we can fight this war in a civilized manner. I will do everything in my power to hold to the terms of battle you put forth. All I ask in return is you leave the five medic in my army alone. They will wear red arm bands on their left arm, clearly visible so you need not worry about mistakes."

"As you stated, this is war, ronin Taka of the Ixian Knights," said the captain, her voice as calm and unyielding as the tides. "Do not forget that, and do not forget that you are the aggressors. I will offer you only this, out of common decency. You leave the civilians of Gisela unharmed and I will treat any captives with respect. No matter how this battle concludes, it will be our only one. Should you win, I will not plant seeds of insurrection. Should you lose, I will not harass retreating soldiers. Those are my stipulations. I hope you find them acceptable." Without another word, Nadiliya turned on her heels and marched back to the city. Elijah followed with the rest of her retinue.

"That went as well as we could've hoped," said Elijah, finally breaking the silence only after the gates closed behind them. "That ronin leading has some steel in his veins, but he must be a little unnerved by my presence, even if he has no idea who I am."

"You certainly know how to play your part," Nadiliya replied. "Though I wonder if you are more trouble than you are worth." A slight smile played across her lips for a brief moment, and Eli decided he liked this Ranger captain.

"I could have told you that." They passed into the barracks, this time climbing down a flight of stairs and arriving at a torch-lit war room in the heart of the keep. A large stone table displaying a map dominated the chamber. Elijah, the captain, and her subordinate officer filed in and arrayed themselves around the table.

"In any event, there is no turning back, now." The Captain scanned the map, which displayed all of Gisela and much of the surrounding land. "The Ixian Knights will attack soon, and we need time to prepare." She turned to a ranger standing so silently and still in the corner that Elijah hadn't even noticed him. "Lysander, report."

"Yes, Captain." The Ranger had the look of a grizzled veteran, his hair grey and his face so rough and heavily scarred that it might have been carved from granite. His voice matched his appearance. "The enemy has been scouting our defenses, but we evaded them and got as close to their main camps as we could."

"How close did you get?" asked the captain. "What did you see?"

"Not enough, I'm afraid. On both counts. I estimate their numbers at several hundred at least -- trained soldiers. No war machines, but they must have something hidden that will get them into the city."

"Captain Nadiliya," said the officer in the guard uniform. He was an unassuming man with brown hair and a long face. "I command only two hundred fighting men in the city guard. I could muster perhaps four hundred more from the militia, but they are not professional soldiers and it will take time to gather and arm them."

"Thank you, Lieutenant Marcus," replied Nadiliya with a nod. She turned to Elijah.

"I'm not master of siege craft, but..." Eli scanned the map, thoughts and calculations churning in his mind. "We should have little trouble defending the city with your available forces. The enemy will have to climb the walls, putting us at an advantage."

"Do not be so sure." The captain placed her finger on the map and traced along the city's wall. "Gisela is a large city, much too large for a force our size to defend. We have the entire stretch of wall to defend, whereas our attackers need only attack one point. If they can overwhelm any section of the wall, or Thaynes forbid, take the one of the two gatehouses, they could quickly overwhelm us."

"Good point." Eli nodded grimly. "They wouldn't have come all this way without some means of getting into the city. What else do we have to work with?"

"We have my Rangers, but there are only fifty of us." Nadiliya shuffled through some papers. "The baron of this province keeps fifty of his knights stationed here, and your friend Kitaev pledged his twenty-five household knights to the fight as well. There is an outrider company somewhere in the forests outside the city. Oh, you may like this." She showed him a parchment bearing a strange symbol. It was a charter. "A wizard academy opened here after we liberated the city from Imperial rule."

"Will they help us?" asked Eli.

The captain gave a rough laugh. "They should not prove as difficult to convince as you."

Elijah took the charter. "Let me handle them, and hope that some camaraderie remains between sorcerers in this land. What else?"

"We keep a number of siege engineers on staff here, to help repel Imperial forces." She pointed to several locations on the map. "I have already ordered them to inspect the gates and make other preparations."

"The Ixian Knights won't give them enough time to accomplish much," said Belov. "No doubt their commander hopes to take the city quickly before we can force a protracted siege."

"Then we must buy them more time," Nadiliya replied, that sly half-smile playing again across her lovely face.

"What mischief are you planning?" Eli could not help but mirror her grin.

"We may be the defenders, but that does not mean we cannot strike first." She dropped the stack of papers unceremoniously onto the table. "Sergeant Lysander. Can you signal the outriders from the city?"

Shortly after, two miles east of Gisela...

The morning sun crested over the horizon, a great blinding disk flooding the land with light. The one hundred outriders sworn to the Rangers waited and watched, out of sight from the Ixian Knight camps. With the rising sun to their backs, the timing could not be better. The wind blew from the sea, sweeping up the many smells from the enemy army -- cook fired, human odor... boredom. Still the outriders watched -- watched the western skies.

There it was! From the west came a flock of birds, as yellow as the morning sun, flying from the city like a stream of gold. That was their signal. With only a hand gesture to command them, the outrider company mounted, loaded their crossbows, and rode hard for the enemy camp.

Tainted Bushido
04-09-12, 02:41 AM
"That went better than expected," The words hung in the air as the members of the Ixian Knights moved back to the camp. The group moved with a discordant energy, each reacting to the news they would be fighting in different ways. Taka noticed the sense of anticipation in Viktor's steps the thrumming energy that defined a true bred warrior. The cautious reserve of Erikson was the tempered response to battle, now that the crossbowman had experienced first hand the cruelty of battle. Anastasia Ryos seemed to be moving mechanically. Taka could almost see the wheels spinning in her head as she began preparing to organize the other medics once they hit camp.

Viktor merely snorted before he said harshly, "You only say that Erikson because you are naive..."

"He says that because we did more than talk to them. We got a measure of their resolve. The Taicho of the enemy forces is stubborn, and perhaps a bit reckless. Further, Erikson, how many on the wall we could see?" Taka cut through before Viktor could further ridicule his subordinate. The Chaplain raised an eyebrow at such an obvious defense of his subordinate but said nothing before Erikson closed his eyes and let a ghost of a smile cross his features.

"Twenty, ten were trying to look like they weren't watching and five on either end were vigilant to make sure there would be no surprise assault," Erikson said finally as his hand twitched his thumb touching each finger softly. He then nodded, assured of his tally even as they moved along the grassy valley that separated Gisela from the Concordia Forest. He then shook his head and said, "The reports from the scouts reported about the same on each wall. So we're looking at roughly one hundred fifty, two hundred guards on those walls? I mean, its a rough estimate but you gotta figure some guys might be pulling double duty to bolster the count..."

"With the imperials assaulting Gisela every so often I would not deny the count. For now we will hold it at a mere hundred and seventy five," Taka agreed.

"That's not even factoring any local militia and resources they have had access to we don't know about," Viktor replied pointedly. Taka nodded accepting the chaplains council before Viktor pressed the issue, "So if you weren't committed to peace, why speak to them at all?"

"I told Orlouge-dono that I would give them every opportunity to end the dispute peacefully. I have done so, my honor in the matter is sated," Taka replied simply. He then looked at Anastasia and said softly, "I am sorry I could not get more of a promise from them than I did. It goes without saying that you should retreat from the frontlines if it seems that an assault on the base camp is imminent."

"I'm merely satisfied you tried at all. With the relations between Lady Aislinn and you such they were, I was wondering how out of the way you would go to protect us," Anastasia replied.

Taka let a wry chuckle leave his lips before he spoke, "We are not friends, that much is true. I will not however besmirch my honor when I give my word something will occur."

"All this talk of honor is ludicrous I should point out," Viktor replied with a snort, "The enemy will not hold themselves to any promise they do not have to. I should feel necessary to point out that the actions of the young man who interrupted the parlay are nothing more than par for the course. There will be those who seek to make us suffer for what we have dared to do here. To rely on the men to hold to the agreement of their captains is foolish if not downright insane. What if word does not reach them and they harass any fleeing troops, what will you do then?"

"Ignore the rules they do boss?" Erikson said, reminding Taka of the proverb they had been forced to enact when fighting in Akashima.

"We are the aggressor here, instead we'll do something worse to them. This fight is our chance to prove the Rangers have no desire to be the beacons of justice. We might even be able to get the entire group to enter the fold with this battle if they feel shamed by the Taicho's actions here. Let her break the rules, every time she does a messenger will report the news to Underwood. This will continue until they come to Gisela to personally remove her," Taka replied.

"Is that why we left Underwood untouched? Truly?" Viktor replied his voice taking on a wavering note. He seemed to look at Taka with an appraising eye, trying to discern the truth for himself.

The general chuckled before he said softly, "I would be remiss if I did not mention I was trained to fight more pragmatic people than I. We must avoid staining our honor this fight as much as possible...let their treachery shine brighter than ours. If we can accomplish this we may lose the battle..."

"...but win the war. With one half of the civil war down, we still get the reinforcements we need," Erikson replied, finishing his general's thoughts.

"Speaking of the young man, does anyone know who he is?" Taka asked firmly. There was no response before the ronin shook his head, "That is a mystery we cannot let continue for long. He was trusted enough to be at the meeting, that means he is of some import."

It was then they saw the horses racing across the fields, heading straight for the camp. Taka let a growl of frustration cross his lips before he heard the answer to his unasked question, "I already told the men to break out their weapons. The camp won't be completely undefended. It still won't be pretty, those horsemen could inflict a lot of harm before they slink out of the camp..."

"It seems the enemy has no desire to even allow us the chance to inform our men we fight before they attack," Viktor commented dryly.

"It would seem so...let us hope the men are prepared for the fight," Taka said through clenched teeth hidden behind his mask. With a harsh order the council began to run for the camps, Taka fighting the urge to push himself for fear of being useless once the battle began in earnest.

~*~

Cries issued through he camp alerting everyone of the approaching horsemen. Men rushed to get into position as the horsemen moved about taking the time to fire on prime targets. Men were cut down with ruthless efficiency as the the not wholly unprepared camp lurched to battle, unaware the war had even begun. First blood had been drawn, and in the opening moves several men had fallen, never to rise again.

To say the Ixian Knights were completely unprepared, was an injustice.

Archers were the first to react. Though being on the front lines was hardly their forte they drew bows swiftly sending arrows into the ranks of the outriders. Some aimed for horses, hoping to capture some of the outriders. Some aimed for the men themselves, seeking to kill those that would be so cowardly. The general had not even returned yet and they were under attack. Officers screamed for men to move into position as pole arms were broken out to combat the horsemen, who seemed all too keen on staying back with their crossbows, firing into the massing ranks even as Taka and his council rushed into the camp. Hurried orders were given as the booming oratory of Viktor unified the Ixian Knights.

The camp was now a hornet's nest, and with their target firmly in sight, they began the process of stinging it to death. Arrows were now fired from behind lines of spearmen even as the Dark Blade called the advance. The ronin himself was pointing units to their positions and orchestrating the effort as Erikson moved amongst the archers and began directing their fire with his crossbow, showing them where to target the enemy lines.

Anastasia Ryos moved immediately to work at bringing the wounded back amongst her peers so that they could begin the process of healing the injured for return to duty. Like a well oiled machine the men of the Ixian Knights began to move. The orders were simple, make the bastards pay for every ounce of blood they had drawn. Horses that had pulled carts were repurposed as the men sought to grab every steed available, even stealing those of fallen outriders where possible to begin mounting up an assault the force. It was then the general's order was given, "Follow them, do not give them a chance to rest! We will assault Gisela now if need be, but they will pay for their treachery!"

Christoph
04-11-12, 03:06 AM
Bunnies and stuff approved.
Meanwhile, within the city...

Elijah stood before Gisela's 'Academy of New Magic' and wondered what the old building used to be. It displayed the same ancient grey brickwork found in the city's other original structures, but otherwise blended in to the urban landscape. It was just another building: four stories tall, square, and utterly unremarkable. It might have once served as housing for the poor or a gallery for the rich, or perhaps just another storage place. Regardless of its past uses and unassuming appearance, it was now a place of arcane study and a sanctuary for wizards and sorcerers who fled from Imperial rule. They were exiles and fugitives by all rights, just like Elijah.

Though nothing special to look at, he did feel something as he approached along the front cobbled walkway toward the door. A tingle on his skin; pressure behind his eyes. Magic stirred in the air. Eli closed his eyes and focused, letting his own power flow through his awareness and expand his senses. When he opened his eyes, he looked upon the Academy with new eyes, seeing beyond its physical form. It was like a flare in the night, a blinding light cutting through the dull darkness that surrounded it. Magic enveloped the place in a swirling luminescence of white, blue, and gold. Belov stopped mid-step and looked on in wonder.

Suddenly, he sensed a change: a subtle shift in the air and a wrinkle in the cloth of reality. In his spectral sight, he saw a malignant red spot grow within the building's aura. Eli whispered a frantic series of words, wrapping the threads of magic around himself to form an invisible barrier. A fraction of a second later, arcs of lighting erupted from academy's entrance, lashing against Belov's ward in a blast of blinding light. His barrier held and the sorcerous attack abated.

A scratchy voice called out. "Perhaps you are as good as the rumors say." Elijah's eyes readjusted to the morning light. A wrinkled old wizard in a green robe stood before him. His fair skin and slightly pointed ears hinted at some High Elf ancestry -- many in the Tylmerande barony descended from elven pearl divers. He lowered a wand crafted from wood and bone.

"That would depend on the rumor," Belov replied with a sideways smirk. "Many rumors contain exaggeration and fabrications. For instance, some say that you should never invite me into your home, lest you find that I have deflowered your daughters and befriended all of your cats. That is only half true."

"Let me guess." The old man only raised an eyebrow, his mouth remaining a neutral line across his face. "You do not actually like cats, right?"

"Oh, gods no. I love cats." Eli shrugged. "It just turns out that casual arrogance is not terribly popular with women."

"Ha! Excellent! Most excellent." The half-elf's mouth curled upward into a smile. "I was worried that you were the type who takes himself too seriously." He gestured to the building. "I am Nicodemus Valeran, headmaster of the Academy of New Magic. And you are Elijah Belov, of course."

"A pleasure." Belov lowered his head slightly, as a mark of respect. Though prone to coy remarks and jests, arcanists shared certain protocols. A young sorcerer like Elijah needed to show proper reverence even as he took the old wizard's measure.

"Now, explain something for me," said Nicodemus, becoming serious. "For ten nights you have stayed in this city, yet only now do you visit the Academy of New Magic. Why? I should have thought one such as you would have welcomed such enlightened company."

"I feared that one such as me would only bring trouble and strife to you," Eli replied somberly.

"And yet, here you are now, bringing much trouble and strife to us anyway."

"I'm sorry for that, but if nothing else, it should illustrate the direness of our situation. A new enemy masses outside the city gates."

"And you have come seeking our aid, yes?" The old wizard shook his head. "The members of this Academy have seen much bloodshed in recent years. What makes you think that we will subject ourselves to even more?"

"Because I will convince you."

Outside the city...

Violent shouts and pounding hooves carried across the field in a cacophonous thunder. The outriders struck hard and fast, but hit stiff opposition. They charged like a spearhead into the enemy camp, crossbows firing and sabers slashing. Steel glinted in the morning sun and blood stained the dirt. The Ixian Knights responded quickly though, rallying to their officers' voices. Soon, the outriders faltered under volleys of enemy arrows and the weight of their numbers. However, instead of falling back, they rode hard toward Gisela.

The Ixian soldiers gave chase, salvaging whatever mounts they could, both from their own supply carts and from their slain attackers. Veterans of hit and run engagements, the outriders were no strangers to fighting retreats. They split into two groups; one rode fast ahead while the other slowed and took shots at their pursuing enemies, only to switch once the slow group fell too far behind. In this manner, they raced across the field toward the city walls.

Instead of making for the gates, they veered south and sounded their deep war horns to warn the guards. With over a third of their numbers lost, the riders fled toward the river, hoping to lure the Ixian army away from the city.

Tainted Bushido
04-11-12, 04:06 AM
Men fell under the relentless tide of crossbow bolts now thrusting through the forces. Taka himself was only able to narrowly miss a bolt that would have seen him in the company of the field medics, and resolved not to let them have another good shot at him. His sword directed the battle as he shouted the men forward, his directions clear and concise. It was then he turned and as expected saw Erikson beside him as he always had been.

"Change of plans boss?" The man asked a lopsided grin on his face. It was reassuring to see the grin return, and Taka knew that Erikson might finally move on with his life. A nod assented to it as the dead shot quickly pulled the draw of his crossbow bolt and in a practiced maneuver had the bolt in place. The crossbow was lifted to shoulder as he fired and asked the obvious question, "Where do I need to go?"

"I was hoping to use some of the wagons as a distraction but we don't have that luxury. We need to get the saboteurs to the gates, now. Let them continue to run before us but tell the men to get their charges ready I want that gate down as fast as possible..." Taka replied as he moved behind the army watching them rush before him. His eyes scanned the dwindling group of horsemen who were fighting a strategic withdrawal, making the Ixian General and his men pay for every inch. As foolish as the attack had been they were inspiring to the ronin who regretted their deaths. They were true warriors who despite knowing they would fall, refused to let such knowledge dishearten them.

Orders given the ronin continued his jog behind the men directing them as a large mob at the enemy lines. Perhaps with the massed blob of men, it would be hard for the enemy to discern the saboteurs rushing through the ranks to their target. Perhaps the men would not notice until it was too late. Perhaps Taka would finally take that warrior's pilgrimage he had meant to so long ago. It mattered not, if the Dark Blade didn't take the lead and see his plans through. He could not assume the enemy would be so foolish as to leave them at the gates unmolested.

"You do realize that with the gate blown open like that you're practically begging the Imperials to come for Gisela..." Erikson asked calmly as he readied his crossbow yet again.

"I understand that, once we have the gates I want as many Ixian Knights taking the gatehouse as possible. They are not to move beyond the wall, merely upwards. We shall take the walls from them and guard the city against potential treachery. I will not win the fight only to lose the prize to a foe who snuck in the back door," Taka replied firmly. Erikson let out a laugh before he patted the ronin on the shoulder, a gesture of genuine kinship as the General merely cocked his head towards the crossbowman.

"Bout time you pulled your head out of your ass General. With all due respect I think that trip to Akashima did a lot of good for you," The man replied warmly.

"Erikson-san please, you know better than to touch me," Taka replied firmly.

A gleeful cackle left the other man's lips before he shouted enthusiastically, "The more they change the more they stay the same. Gods above today is a good day! Alright boss, I'll go make the preparations for the breaching. Should be ready to go shortly."

"Fire a bolt towards the river when you are ready. I will issue the charge then..." Taka replied a trace of a smile in his voice.

"Hey, have you seen Viktor?"

"Should I have?" Taka asked a note of curiosity in his voice.

"Nah, but you should hear the sermon, its nice and fiery today..."

~*~

"Look at the cowards as they run! They have no fire for the fight they have committed themselves to. How easy is it to attack when the opponent is unawares. Even now they flee back to a city that seeks to harbor nothing but cowardice!" The voice boomed over the battlefield heartening the Ixian Knights within hearing range as even other chaplains felt their blood stir at the sermon. The men redoubled their efforts to get at the devious horsemen.

"See how the very forces they fight alongside do not even lift finger to save them? No forces come from the city to engage us! No relief for their forces exists! They are to be wheat before us. Let us harvest a bloody tally and let all know that such cowardice is always punished by the righteous! Let them cower in their city, they know we are coming and not even the gods themselves will protect them! Let our cries echo through this valley and let the men who cower on their walls know we are coming and we will not be stayed!" Viktor slashed forward with his sword swinging it in a great arc as he rallied the men about him to push ever harder. A grin of smug satisfaction crossed his lips as the chaplain pushed the forces through to Gisela.

Soon a crossbow bolt fired through the massed army and swung a wide arc of the enemy. Viktor frowned seeing the odd shot, before he heard a new voice bellow, the discipline and authority in it absolute, "Warriors! We now are prepared for the assault on Gisela. Ignore these wretched horsemen, our target has always been the city and today they will learn we cannot be placated. We cannot be stopped, we are the Ixian Knights and we will save this country from itself, even if it wishes to languish in the throes of insanity!"

Viktor saw Taka stab his katana forward as he shouted out his order, "Charge the gate, protect the men around you and when the call is given fall back! We will see their gate destroyed this day and with it the false hope of salvation. Their fortress shall be as a stone about their neck, and we shall throw them into the river!"

It was then the Salvarian let the grin on his face widen as he stood still the men charging about them. Taka moved forward and only stopped when he was at the chaplain's side watching the massed force of the Ixian Knights change tactic and rush towards the walls of Gisela. Viktor nodded his head in greeting before he said, "I sincerely hope that you intend to put that blade to use."

"I shall fight today. The enemy has demanded it and I will not shirk from the challenge," Taka replied.

"You're smiling you know. I could hardly believe you are reluctant to draw the blood of an enemy," Viktor replied as they began to jog behind the army to catch up.

"I will show you how a true samurai fights. You needn't worry of that. They say peace is good for the body, but as a warrior war is good for the soul. I needed a distraction so I could understand what I am tasked to do," Taka answered.

Viktor let out a hearty laugh as he nodded and said, "Then I will show you how a true Chaplain of the Ixian Knights fights. Today is a good day!"

"There are those who would curse this day..."

"Let them, they are cowards and fools if they believe that this war was benefiting anyone but the nobility," Viktor said as he rushed forward, surging back into the ranks of Ixian Knights.

Christoph
04-13-12, 03:39 AM
"Here is what I do not understand," said headmaster Valeran as he led Elijah into academy's sparse wooden entry hall. Two dozen other wizards gathered around to see what all the fuss was about. "How did Captain Nadiliya convince you to get involved in this affair?"

Eli chucked. "Ah, well. She appealed to my... moral precedents."

"Your guilt, you mean." Nicodemus's eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Perhaps."

"Guilt is rarely a good reason to fight. Trust me, young one. I know." The aging headmaster shook his head solemnly.

"Sometimes you fight because the cause is right," Belov replied.

"Bah, right, wrong. Who can tell one from the other in such times?"

"A fair point." Eli shrugged. "But the Rangers governing this city have welcomed you here when you left Radasanth or wherever you all came from. I would think that you would owe them at least some loyalty."

"That may be true," said Nicodemus. "But what is to say that these Ixian Knights would treat us any differently? Unless we anger them by taking sides with the those defending the city."

"If the Ixian Knights are just, then they should not fault you for defending your own city. If they are not, then it may not matter whether you fight or not." Suddenly, a distant horn call reached his ears, followed by another. He knew the signal well.

"That is the horn call that warns of an enemy attack," said the headmaster, echoing Eli's own thoughts.

"Well, headmaster, as much as I enjoy debating philosophy, we lack the time for it right now." Belov turned to leave. "If you care for the city that you now call home, help defend it."

The headmaster just smiled. "I will see what we can do."

"To the walls, soldiers!" The captain's commanding voice swept through the city like a strong wind. She strode through the streets, her emerald cloak flowing in the breeze. She was a fortress of calm amidst chaos. Citizens fled and the city guard rushed to Gisela's defense in a flood of blue and silver. "This city has defied tyranny before, and it will not submit now!"

The horn called again from outside the walls, low and haunting; drums from atop the gatehouse pounded in response. Officers shouted back and forth. The enemy was making their move, assaulting the city's main entrance directly. Captain Nadiliya cursed silently, her fair features twisting into a frustrated scowl. This was happening too soon! Their attempt to stall the Ixian Knights only agitated and enraged them, sending them on the offensive much too quickly. She only hoped that their hasty assault left them disorganized.

"Nadiliya! What's going on?" The captain turned to see Elijah Belov sprinting toward her, carrying a sheathed sound in his hand. She was too relieved to see him to feel annoyed at his constant habit of not addressing her by rank.

"There you are! The Ixian Knights are assaulting the main gate." As they spoke, the city guards lined the walls, firing crossbows volleys out of the captain's sight, at the advancing attackers. She needed to act quickly and get to the walls; a blind commander is worthless one.

"Brash and impatient," Elijah replied with a casual half-smile and cocked eyebrow. Nadiliya wondered if he felt as confident as he seemed, or if, like her, the calm facade merely hid the panic beneath. "That should work to our advantage."

"This is not hypothetical any longer," said the captain urgently. "The old gate is strong, but they must have a way to break it down." The shouts from outside the wall grew louder. "Will the Academy wizards come to our aid?"

"They were reluctant, but I think I convinced them." Belov spoke more quickly now, finally reflecting the urgency of the situation. "They're preparing as we speak. I hope it won't be too late."

"We shall make sure it is not." The captain began signaling to her Rangers, who amassed fifty meters behind the gatehouse. "I need to lead my men. What can I expect of you?"

"I'll be your trump card," the young sorcerer replied. His face was more serious now, but his eyes still possessed that casual spark. It frustrated her to no end. "This battle rests on a razor's edge, and a moment will come that determines its outcome. I will wait for this pivotal moment and tip the battle in our favor." Nadiliya raised an eyebrow and glared at her troublesome ally. She opened her mouth to tell him to spare her the philosophical nonsense and join the fight, but a new voice echoed from atop the walls.

"Sappers!" An explosion shook the city and sent a cloud of smoke and dust billowing from the gate. Deafening silence followed in its wake.

"I think that moment has passed," said Nadiliya. Another explosion rocked the gatehouse, this one blowing out two of the heavy iron hinges. It would not hold much longer. The Ranger captain turned to Elijah Belov, hoping beyond hope that he could live up to his reputation.

"That moment is upon us." His eyes, once soft, now seemed forged from hot, jagged steel. He threw off his cloak and drew his sword. The blade was pale blue and etched with intricate glyphs -- she knew prevalida when she saw it, and could feel power resonating from the weapon. "Captain. Position your Rangers within firing range of the gateway."

"What for?"

"Because," he began, walking toward the gate. He removed his shirt to reveal a symmetrical pattern of scars covering his lean torso. Licks of flame danced about his feet. "Some enemy soldiers may slip by me."

Another explosion went off as Elijah strode toward the damaged gate, but he did not flinch. He calmed the storm inside his chest, fighting competing emotions of eagerness and fear. He had fought in many battles before, but how long had it been since he had truly risked his life? Two years? This wasn't some Citadel show match where both sides get up and walk away. If I am to die, let it be in service to a just cause. Though he had only joined this conflict reluctantly, he was committed now. Committed to victory

When did I become so melodramatic? Focus!

The gate would soon fall, leaving him precious little time to complete his arcane machinations. Ancient words tumbled from his lips as the sorcerer took hold of the threads of reality and tied them to his will. With a series of simple, yet potent charms, he pulled the currents of magic into his body, changing and expanding his physical capacities well beyond their normal limits. His muscles tightened, he felt lighter, and his movements became dazzlingly swift. Finally, an unnatural sheen enveloped his skin as it became as resilient as steel. Those who watched him fight in the Citadel thought him superhuman, rarely realizing how much of it came from combinations of simple spells rather than real physical ability.

The rest of the battle faded into the background as Belov focused on the gate, or what remained of it. Once a mighty barrier of oak and iron, it was splintered and bent, its hinges nearly broken. He knelt before it and focused, reaching down with his will to pull heat from the earth. Flames swirled up about him, cloaking him in a blazing corona of orange and red. A final explosion ripped through the gate, sending its splintered hulk crashing inward. The wall had been breached.

Heart pounding, Elijah stood to face the Ixian host. The mass of spears and swords charged through the gate; panic gripped the sorcerer for a fraction of a second. Then he remembered who he was.

With a snarl, Belov unleashed his fiery wrath. Raw power erupted from his fingertips in a wave of flame and shattered earth. Blasts of fire and force rocked the ground and shattered enemy shields. Men sailed through the air, mangled and charred by the sorcerer's magic.

With a series of sharp gestures, he wove tighter the strands of power. His scars bubbled like rivers of lava, but he ignored the pain as he would a nagging wife. Fire scythed through the enemy ranks as he flooded them in flame. Soon, a roiling inferno filled the gateway, writing like a great kraken as it consumed Gisela's foes. The roaring fire formed a hellish chorus with the screams of the dying.

Tainted Bushido
04-13-12, 05:00 AM
"Fall back! I don't want any heroes today!" Erikson shouted as he dragged men back. They were lucky that the saboteurs hadn't gone farther inside the gates. The gunpowder left over from taking out the gate had been nearly ignited as the men rushed to the back of the charging army. He directed men to drag the wounded back as others began to bring the wagons from camp to cart off the wounded to the medics. The pace was set, and the Ixian Knights had already dealt the first telling blow.

Still as the men surged back from the gate Taka's voice boomed out, "Stay in the shadows of the wall! I don't want them to rain arrows on us! Get ready for the second wave!"

Taka moved to the front when he felt a hand grab his gauntlet clad hand dragging him back. He turned to see Viktor pulled back from the front lines, burnt badly. Having been one of the first in the breach he had been at ground zero when the flames engulfed him. He gripped the General's hand firmly before he let out a hoarse whisper, "I know, who that was..."

The ronin tilted his head in confusion before the man pushed himself up. One of the other Ixian Knights tried to push him down, but a casual slap of the hand away saw the Chaplain on his side and facing Taka, "Elijah Belov. He stands in the gate. He wont back down..."

"What?"

"Elijah Belov, the impudent man at the meeting. I thought he seemed familiar, but-" The Salvarian broke out into a wracking cough before he continued on, "He wasn't wearing the attire he was known for. There is no denying it is him. He did this to us."

"A shugenja? Magic?" Taka asked softly. Viktor nodded before Taka pulled his hand from the man's near death grip, "Thank you. Your part in this battle is done, take your leave and enjoy it Kratikoff-sama..."

A rasping chuckle left the man's mouth before he coughed. Taka gestured for the man to be carried off before he moved to the front of the lines, seeing the young man from earlier standing in defiance of the Ixian Knights. Rengoku was quickly sheathed as he gestured for everyone to back off and give the man room. Reaching behind his back he firmly clasp the hilt of the rat's tail nodachi and drew it from its sheath, the sound ringing in the gatehouse. Taka then looked over to Erikson and gestured him over, "I will keep him busy. When I have him back even a few steps rush through the gatehouse. Take them upon the walls and have them vent their rage there."

Erikson looked at the man and back to Taka before he said firmly, "You do realize you're almost consigning yourself to a painful death, right boss?"

"From the day I gripped live steel, I was always six paces from death. It matters not in which manner Enma-o takes me, only that I die well. I intend to die very well Erikson-san," Taka replied firmly. It sent a chill down the Fallien man's spine before he nodded. He moved amongst the men telling them to give the General room as Taka stepped forward. Fires still burned everything in the gatehouse as Taka moved slowly through the archway towards the man. His gaze was unflinching before he carefully removed his mask, and tossed it onto the ground before Elijah Belov. His face held no anger, nor grief, his tone as casual as one speaks of the weather, "It seems our paths have crossed, Belov-san. I salute your courage! You stand and fight as a true warrior!"

He took the first stance of the unbroken blade form, his blade held before him with both hands. He then swung the blade as if testing it and settled into the second stance, the blade hoisted over his head, ready to thrust forward, before he spoke once more, "You wished for my blood gaijin, come and get it!"

Taka felt the flaming strength of Elijah's ki wash over him in a tide. He could understand now what he had been missing, this man had not committed himself fully to fight and at the meeting still held reservations. Now, there were no such reservations he was much like Taka, committed to death. With the stakes so clear Taka countered the overwhelming sensation with the dark waves of his own ki. Water and fire struck and for a brief moment, one could swear faint wisps of steam erupted from the very stones about the men.

A sense of anticipation flooded the Dark Blade's face as he felt truly unrestrained. Here was a fight he could not hold back and enjoy. Perhaps that was why he relished fighting solo. When he had others to think of he had no way of truly unleashing his potential. Here, in Gisela, Taka was dared to fight, almost commanded to take part in the battle. He had not been lying when he said he wished for a fight, and now he had one. Taka moved forward swiftly, his blade scything towards his opponent even as the wrappings on the hilt slowly unraveled.

Christoph
04-14-12, 11:26 PM
Bunnies approved.

Billowing a cloud of black smoke, the city's gateway became like the jaws of a dragon. As the invading Ixian Knights fled from its fiery maw, guards on the walls rained crossbow bolts down upon them. Once the attackers began hugging the walls to avoid crossbows, the defenders' engineers emptied giant pots of burning oil onto their heads. The battle now hinged on that gate, and the man who held it.

Elijah stood alone in a crater of ash and blackened glass, wreathed in a fiery corona. The scars upon his flesh blazed like rivers of molten metal. He held his sword casually at his side. Its blade seemed to devour light like a sliver of midnight. He radiated power, but even as he exulted in it, he couldn't help but feel a sense of fatalistic annoyance. Of course it would not be his warfare experience or acumen that would change the course of the battle, but simply his own personal power.

The enemy assault ceased, and for a futile moment, Elijah wondered if they had given up. No, they are more stubborn than that. Suddenly, a porcelain mask landed at his feet. He recognized it immediately. The enemy commander then appeared, a sliver of ice amidst the dust and smoke.

"I didn't wish for anyone's blood today, Akashiman!" Elijah shouted back. He stepped forward, letting his foot fall upon his foe's mask. "But if you wish to force yours upon me, so be it."

Eli's foe rushed at him, wielding a sword of obscene length. Compared to Belov's supernaturally enhanced speed, the ronin warrior seemed to move in slow-motion. He raised his own straight sword to block his opponent's slash. The blow hit with unexpected force, however, and staggered Eli back a step before he steadied himself. The ronin struck again, but Eli ducked and lashed out low with his foot, sweeping out his foe's legs. Only then did he see the wrappings flowing off his opponent's sword.

With a life of its own, the length of cloth snapped toward the sorcerer like a snake and wrapped around him, binding his sword arm to his torso. Taka rolled deftly to his feet and darted in for another attack. Eli sprang to the right, using his magically-enhanced strength to tug forcefully on the binding wraps and make the ronin stumble, even as the cloth combusted from the heat pouring from his skin. He spun left and slashed in a blinding arc. His unbalanced foe raised his guard, but the ferocious speed and power of the blow sent the enemy commander sailing back.

Suddenly, Ixian troops came pouring through the gate, charging right past Elijah and into view of captain Nadiliya's Rangers. The expert marksmen unleashed a withering volley of arrows, scything through the first enemy wave.

Belov felt the power within him waning, but his fiery aura burned as bright as ever. With a wide sweeping motion, he conjured forth waves of flame in a blinding tide of white and blue. He had once read that of all four elements, fire most closely resembled the soul and spirit, for it was not bound by shape or measure. It was pure passion, pure power. What were the other elements but fuel to be consumed?

"Ronin Taka of the Ixian Knights!" Elijah Belov, exiled sorcerer of Salvar called above the screams and roaring flames. "You have two paths before you. Leave this place, or be consumed."

Enigmatic Immortal
04-15-12, 02:05 AM
Closed

Enigmatic Immortal
04-20-12, 03:50 PM
Gisela 1v1

Christoph:
Story (7) Your character's reluctance to fight and desire to avoid the conflict was well explained, however even the guilt factor the elf used against you was a bit...forced in my mind. While the overall plot you were working with was a well done idea, several elements did not make full sense to me. If Gisela is in Ranger hands, and is used to fighting against the Imperials...why do they have such a small reserve of warriors? The plight of raising an army to defend Gisela was just...unreal in my eyes.

Pacing (8) Solid pacing for you, no hiccups or repeating the previous posts events in a manner that stalled the thread. A lower score for an uncompleted thread is why you lost out on more points.

Setting (6) You bring the setting in and set the picture, but then it becomes a sort of play production back drop. Your first paragraph in the story had you did everything you could to get it done and then leave it there. I suggest sprinkling it in to boost this score right up. For both of you keep in mind, setting isn't just remarking how the sun is setting or rising, how the air smells with the sea breeze. That's been done before. Explore new horizons.

Communication (6) The dialouge you had with the the character's was intriguing, but not believable. The captain of the rangers using guilt to edge favor with Elijah came off forced and not in the "I'm desperate" sort of way either. This could be in part due to the nature of the battles time constraints, but in the end the story suffered for it.

Action (7) Plenty of Action to wet my appetite when the battles began, but score wasn't any higher due to it being an uncompleted thread.

Persona (6) Elijah's force of personality showed when he did actions, but internally he was way too easily tricked into joining the cause of the rangers. Also, you had a line of dialouge that made me laugh when you didn't want to shed any blood that day, but had no qualms moments prior incinerating people. You also gave him an "aura of awesome" as I like to call it where everyone is in complete awe of your character and would clap even if he passed gas. In short, this amazing status he had made his choices even more hard to understand. Perhaps this is harsh considering the shortness of the thread, and watching it end would have smoothed this out. But then again, that's what you get for not finsihing a battle.

Mechanics (7) You had a few missed words, missed punctuations, and wrong words placed in or with the wrong tense making some spotches show up. Proof read your work and this shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Clarity (7) Your words were easy to read and their was only a few hiccups when it came to action. Slow down the descriptions and flesh them out a bit more will help boost this score.

Technique (6) A few uses of some advance techniques, but nothing ventured to boost this score. Push your boundries and add more flair and you'll improve in this category.

Tainted Bushido

Story (6) Your story told was a very decent tale of Taka's journey to take Gisela. You scored lower because the story you told was about what I expected him to do with no surprises, no twists, no turns or anything. you can improve your story by drawing upon more past expierences to explain what forged your character, and I'm not talking about the continuity recap, but let it show in your story as you compare strategies with past expierences. I would like to think of Taka as the man who would observe the defenses of the enemy and compare it to what he himself had endured in Akashima.

Pacing (8) Solid pacing for you either. No hiccups or repeating the previous posts events in a manner that stalled the thread. A lower score for an uncompleted thread is why you lost out on more points.

Setting (6) Same issues as Christoph had. Dumped in one area, and then left to cover the entire post. Mix it in with your actions. "Taka's blade shined against the light of the rising sun, the wind creating a whistling noise as the Rat Tail No-dachi cut through with ease to draw fresh blood." <- Bam, sun isn't just rising, it's up in your sword's reflection, and it's windy, and you cut through it. For both of you keep in mind, setting isn't just remarking how the sun is setting or rising, how the air smells with the sea breeze. That's been done before. Explore new horizons.

Communication (7) Your words with your comrades felt right on the money, and they reacted as I would expect. Though when the Chaplain was getting angsty because Taka prepared for battle felt out of place and strange. Still this was only one minor incident and to boost this score I'd try to evoke more emotions from the cast you bring.

Action (6) Taka did not do a lot of action until the end when it was too late, and the attackers were written more in Christoph's post. You reacted to the battle and the actions were mere follow ups than defining moments, and thus why you scored lower. This is an army battle, go ahead and let the armies clash.

Mechanics (8) You had a few errors much like Christoph, but they were fewer and farther between.

Clarity (7) There wasn't much action, so there wasn't much to misunderstand.

Techinique (6) Much like Christoph, you need to branch out and try new techniques. This was all very basic reading with out much advanced techniques to spark that creative juice. You can only score higher by branching outwards and upwards.

Wilcard Scores:

Before I give you both your wildcard score, please note that this was a shame it didn't end. A difinitive conlcusion would have swayed much of the scores in different directions and perhaps have changed the outcome. That being said, because it came down to both parties not really conlcuding the battle, some areas really suffuered for it. You both had hooked me at the end, when the battle began, and that's what hurt the most was not seeing it finish out.

Christoph (5)
Tainted Bushido (5)

Total:
Christoph (65)
Tainted Bushido (66)

Tainted Bushido is the winner!