PDA

View Full Version : What's your Althanas story?

Minako
05-04-12, 02:23 AM
I've been on Althanas, and its many reincarnations, since I was about 16 years old. When I was younger, I wanted so badly to either be a musician, or a novelist. Specifically, a fantasy novelist - I was, and still am, a huge fan of LOTR. Now, I'm 23. I've abandoned my rock star dream, but picked up a different kind of pen. I'm a journalist/entertainment writer, looking for my first real job post-university. I'm interested in haute couture, the glamorous life of the celebrity, and the blogger uprising.

Despite all this adult responsibility, I absolutely cannot keep away from Althanas. When I'm not active, every so often I check up on what's going on, see who's ruling the boards. When I am active, I try to participate in as much as I can. Nevertheless, there is something about this site that keeps me coming back. For seven years. But this isn't just about me: new people, old folks, what's your story?

Letho
05-04-12, 01:22 PM
Though I joined Althanas some eight years ago, I've been writing stuff since I was like 11 or so (my first piece of writing was actually a sappy poem which I still have somewhere in a box). And of course, once upon a time I too dreamed of making it big as a novelist. But being on Althanas has made it clear to me that I don't really have a stamina to be one. And reading books made it clear that I'm probably never going to be good enough to be one. Well, not without some additional education, but I feel that train has left a station a long time ago as I'm 30 now. So that as they say is that.

I was supposed to be an architect like my old man, but that didn't pan out either since he kicked the bucket and I dropped out of the university. Since then, I worked several different jobs, from construction, security guard, machine operator and currently digital printing. I like to tell myself I'm biding my time until I land a job that I actually want to do, but the truth of it is that I don't really have a dream job to speak of. The way I see it, a job is something I need to do for eight hours so I can do whatever the hell I want the rest of the time. Right now, it mostly consists of gaming, fiddling with computers, spending time here, reading (mostly fantasy, big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire), bitching about how movies today are turning more and more into crap and just like this new generation of kids running around with their facebooks and their twitters. All I lack is a porch and a shotgun and a lawn. The porch and the lawn at least are in the making as I recently started to build a house with my sister and her family, a joint venture so to speak.

Dol
07-20-12, 12:09 AM
Let's see. I first joined Althanas in 8th Grade. I'd have been, oh, 13? And here I am a college super-senior at 22. Has it really been 9 years? Jesus.

This is like my 8th character. The story is always the same. I make a character, post religiously for about 2 months... then it falls apart. Then I remember how awesome it is here, and come back only to find that the server broke or something, and my character is no. longer. here. ಠ_ಠ

Anyways, this account has been floating around here for a year now, but only has about 5 posts to his name. So I'm hoping to be more serious this time around (which is, honestly, what I say upon every return) but I'm serious this time, because this time, my account wasn't lost to cyberspace!!!

Plus, I feel like Althanas needs a bad guy...