PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 IK vs PA 1v1

Enigmatic Immortal
05-29-12, 12:50 AM
The following round will last for two weeks, and thread will open at 00:00 hours PST.

This match will be Amber Eyes vs Lionheart!

Enigmatic Immortal
05-29-12, 01:58 AM
The Round has begun! Best of luck, and this will close in two weeks or until a PM signifying it is over is sent to me.

Lionheart
05-29-12, 05:55 AM
Radasanth was in trouble.

The fervor within the city had started when the Ixian Knights had burst from a hidden bolt-hole within Radasanth Park, quickly overwhelming the city’s guards and establishing a foothold in the heart of their enemy’s capitol. The almost incomprehensible foolishness of the Empire’s ruling council was almost enough to cause James to simply throw his sword down and walk away from Phoenix Ascendant and their attempts to assist the Empire in its struggle against Sei’s army. It was one thing to allow a private army to be built right under their noses, but it took an entirely different level of incompetence to allow that army unrestricted access to a series of tunnels that ran directly under your primary power base. But their greatest folly was thinking it impossible that the so-called ‘Hero of Radasanth’ would ever turn against the very same city he had sworn himself to defend.

But, James forced himself admit, what the Empire’s leaders lacked in forethought, they made up for in brutal efficiency. Despite the Ixian Knight’s incredibly adept surprise attack, the Emperor’s palace had held and within two days of the initial assault there were tens of thousands of soldiers from the Corone Army surrounding Radasanth to ensure that the Ixian Knights were contained. Unfortunately their siege of their own city had put undue stress on Radasanth’s legitimate citizens, but neither the Ixian Knights nor the Empire seemed overly concerned about the common folk at this point.

Of course, that was why James and his men were in Radasanth.

Having survived both his encounter with Sei Orlouge and with the Ixian Leader’s flowery assassin, James had been tasked with taking the largest of portion of Phoenix Ascendant’s remaining forces to offer their services to the Empire as mercenaries within Radasanth. But nothing in this was that simple and the Imperial Commander in charge of the siege had been justifiably skeptical of the arrival of a band of mercenaries, even one as small as Phoenix Ascendant’s, and had left them camped in a field far outside the city’s walls. Fortunately, several days and background checks had convinced the commander that James and his men weren’t Ixian spies.

“I have a command order for James Alexander?”

The Amran Knight turned with interest to find a courier perched at the edge of Phoenix Ascendant’s encampment atop a beautiful dappled roan. Gold glinted from the embroidery on the red sash draped proudly across the woman’s shoulders. It was the badge of the Imperial Commander’s direct staff and was a sight that James has been eagerly anticipating for their days in camp. Somehow, however, the sight of this woman at hand turned that eagerness into a heavy stone in his gullet.

“James Alexander?” the courier repeated, looking annoyed at the delay.

“That’s Ser James Alexander,” one of Phoenix Ascendant’s recruits, a young man by the name of Roald, defiantly replied. The courier made no attempt to hide the disdain behind her snort, but before she could make a snappy retort at the boy, James pushed his way to the front of the crowd.
“I’m James Alexander,” the knight said, holding a gauntlet covered hand out to receive the order.

“Hopefully you’re more prompt in following your orders than you are in receiving messages,” the courier quipped as she handed the rolled scroll containing the commander’s written instructions to James. “Your men are to report to the northern park barricade immediately and to prepare for a breaching assault. For this, as agreed, you are to receive two-hundred Imperial Crowns per head, to be split amongst you as you see fit.”

“Wait,” James said, his brow crinkling in confusion as he opened and read the scroll. “We’re to carry out a breaching assault? I thought the Imperial Army had stopped assaulting the Ixian lines a month ago. My men are here to assist with damage control and civilian relief. We’re not front line fighters.”

“Listen mercenary,” the courier spat back, “You argued to be allowed into Radasanth and Commander Errant has been gracious enough to grant that request. If you’d rather not follow the orders that he has given you, you will not only find yourselves with no money to show for it, but will be arrested immediately as enemies of Corone.”

A long, tense moment passed between James and the courier until James backed down, breaking eye contact. “Very well,” he nodded acceptingly, “We will follow the orders that have been given to us and shall carry them out immediately.”

“A wise decision Ser James.” His title rolled off her tongue like a Fallien dust snake’s rattle but, but with less charm. James accepted with derision without so much as a frown, his face an impassive mask as the courier turned her roan and rode back to the Imperial encampment.

“What just happened, Ser James?” Roald asked quietly as the assembled mercenaries watched the courier ride away.

“We’ve been hung out to dry,” another voice from the ranks answered. “Leading a breaching assail against the barricades is a suicide mission. They’re throwing us to the wolves.” Every man in the Phoenix group had been thinking the same thing, but now that the words were out they began to bicker and argue in mounting panic.

“I’ve got a family,” one said.

“Thaynes damn them all,” another quipped. “I didn’t sign up for this.”

“This doesn’t make sense,” James muttered, rolling to order around in his head.

“What do you mean?” Roald asked. The commotion died out as the assembled mercenaries waited for James’ answer.

“I think we’re all in concurrence that it makes no sense for the Imperial Army to throw us at the Ixian forces for no reason.”

“Maybe they’re doing it so they don’t have to pay us?”

“Then why let us in at all?” James countered, shaking his head. “No, think about it. We’re not big enough a force to do any major damage to the Ixian barricades on our own so they must want us to assault the northern barricade for some other reason.”

“What reason could they possibly have to send us charging into the meat grinder like that?”

“My first thought,” James said simply, “Would be that they’re sending us in as a distraction.”

“And they’d have a good reason to do so, Ser James.” A new voice called out, demanding James’ attention.

“Jayden?” James was startled to see his young friend marching towards them from the Imperial camp. “Where have you been?”

Jayden shrugged. “I was out for a walk …”

“Doing some spying is more like it,” one of the men shouted, drawing nervous chuckles from the crowd.

“Truthfully, yes.” Jayden blushed, rubbing his head awkwardly. “But in doing so I managed to hear what it is that the Imperial Army is planning and why they want to use us as bait.”

“Keeping us all in the dark for drama’s sake isn’t helping anyone,” James admonished, drawing an even bigger blush from the young adventurer.

“Sorry Ser James,” Jayden sputtered. “I managed to overhear one of the junior officers talking to his sergeants and he was saying that the Empire is tired of dealing with the Ixians so close to home and is going to finally show them what it means to challenge a nation.”

“And did you happen to hear how exactly they’re planning on doing this?” James asked. “The Imperial army camped here easily outnumbers them ten-to-one but Radasanth’s streets and the Ixian barricades won’t let them bring a tenth of that number to bear on the Ixian lines at any one time. If they could take the Ixians by brute force they would have already done so.”

“It’s magic, Ser James,” Jayden replied. “They’re going to use magic. Though the Ixian forces are dug-in and have their tunnels for defense, only a few of their so-called generals have any magic to speak of. While we’ve been sitting here the Empire has gathered three or four dozen battle casters and has had them tutored by the Ai’Bron. Today, when the Ixian’s focus is on the simultaneous assaults that are going to be going on around the barricade, the Imperials are planning to unleash the battle casters. The officer said that they’re going to create a massive earthquake in Radasanth Park to collapse the tunnels and bury the Ixians and then burn everything in the Park to cinders with a fire storm to clean-up the leftovers.”

“They’re going to use us as bait to lure the Ixians out and then annihilate them with magic,” James mouthed, aghast. “But what about the civilians the Ixians have in the Park? And more than that, an earthquake large enough to collapse all those tunnels is going to bring down the tenements around the park. And how many innocent lives will the fire storm claim?”

“Casualties of war, Ser James,” Jayden shrugged.

“By the Lion,” James muttered in shock. Then, seeing that all eyes were expectantly watching him he straightened up and put the steel back in his voice.

Listen up,” he shouted, calling all attention once again to himself. “I’m going to do my best to get this information to the Ixian leader in the hopes that they’ll surrender or retreat in time to avert this travesty. I know it’s a ridiculous notion, since they wouldn’t have started this damned war if they truly cared about the people of Corone, but I have to try.”

“Why?” someone shouted back at him. “Why save them?”

“Believe me,” James said, his eyes blazing with conviction. “I would let the Empire burn Sei Orlouge and all of his men to cinders without shedding a tear, but we have no idea how many innocents the Ixians have with them. The Empire might be willing to toss them aside as casualties of war so easily but I am not. Unlike the Ixians we actually joined this war to help the people of Corone and I will give my life to do so.”

“Now,” he continued, “I can see that not all of you to feel the same and I’m not going to tell you that you have to. As of right now I say that anyone who wants to leave is free to, no stigma attached. I won’t think any less of you and I won’t let anyone else say anything about it. But for those of you who stay, I promise you that I will do my best to see that if we die today, that we don’t die in vain.”

A chorus of cheers filled the air as the assembled mercenaries of Phoenix Ascendant hoisted their gear and began either marching towards or away from Radasanth. James called out to every member who passed towards Radasanth by name, offering his thanks, and gave all those who chose to leave them a warm smile. The numbers dwindled as the men filed away until only James, Jayden, and Roald that remained.

“Ser James,” Roald began, hesitatingly.

“I know Roald,” James patted the boy’s shoulder sympathetically.

“I want to fight with you Sir James, I really do,” tears rolled from his eyes. “But my wife just wrote to me that she’s pregnant with our second child. I’m the only support they have.”

“You don’t need to justify it to me Roald,” James said, shooting a disapproving look at the frown on Jayden’s face. “I said that I wouldn’t think anything less of you for choosing to go home and I’m not. For what it’s worth, I think you’re making the right decision. A true parent will always choose their children over gaining personal glory.” It took another minute of tearful apologies before James could convince Roald that he was doing the right thing by leaving the war to look out for his family.

“It’s too bad,” Jayden sighed as they parted ways with Roald and began the journey into Radasanth with the rest of the Phoenix mercenaries who had decided to stay. “We really need all the help we can get here.”

“Bah,” James said, shrugging. “We’re already in a no-win situation. Having a bunch of disgruntled mercenaries on our hands isn’t going to help things at this juncture.”

“A no-win situation, eh?” Jayden smirked. “Seems to me like we’ve been here before.”

“More than once in this damned war,” James grunted. “Fortunately Leon’s gaze still seems to smile favorably upon me even out here.”

“Pray that he doesn’t blink then.”

James laughed and clapped his young friend on the shoulder as the two of them rushed to meet their destiny.

Amber Eyes
05-29-12, 07:14 AM
((OOC- Edited to remove venom....I’d like it noted that Lionheart’s movement of Ixian forces was not approved.)

Dying isn’t fun. Kyla Orlouge has felt the cold empty void that death brings with it on a couple of occasions. Worse than dying is the situation she now finds herself in. It was a strange sensation to lose oneself. She was all conscious thought now, no need for sleep or physical activity to offer a reprieve from her thinking. The mystic, would she be considered a mystic now? Yes, this was all so new, but surely ones identity is more than the shell of flesh they surround themselves with. It was warm within the cloth of the glove, and there were others here. Not visibly, not that the girl had any idea what one would look like without their body. She could sense them though, the others. Some seemed to weep though they made no sound, it was just raw emotion, the kind that would set your hair on end should you have hair. Others seemed resigned like herself to figure out their purpose now that they were in this form.

Strangest of all was when the glove was held. Most often it was Sei who held the glove, weeping as he remembered the moment that she left her body. She wanted to reach out to him, but somehow she knew that his attachment was more to her physical form than that which she was now. She could feel all the emotions they had shared at once when their souls were near each other. Could he feel it too? There was anger, frustration, worry, but most of all she could feel love. It was overpowering with nothing to sheild her. She couldn't cry or blush to relieve some of the strength of the emotion. It was both the worst and the strangest feeling she'd ever known.

----------------------------------------------

I am pulled from my thoughts by a strange connection. I am vaguely aware of being moved. I sense a pull stronger than any I’ve ever felt and I realize quickly that I am near my body once again. I want to weep as I sense the hole I once occupied. I struggle to understand the voices around me.

“Thank you for all that you have done for her. Honestly at this point its just a waiting game. All of her physical injuries have healed, there is no medical reason she shouldn’t wake.”

I can’t wake because I’m here! I try to throw the words into the abyss. Perhaps they will somehow find their way into the thoughts of those surrounding my body. ”I’m trapped and I can’t make my way back to me.

“I’d like to stay with her a little while longer if you don’t mind.” I don’t know the voice. It is a stranger. I don’t like the way it feels to be near her. Something doesn’t feel right about the woman who holds my glove.

I feel the presence of the physician slowly weaken as she leaves me with the stranger. I can almost feel the woman squeeze what used to be my hand. I almost laugh as I feel the tickle of her whispering in what was my ear. “I need you to fight for me.” The woman laughs out loud, but her soul produces no emotion. It isn’t joy. I am somewhat aware of movement once more and then I feel my glove come into contact with my body. The woman has slipped the glove over my hand. I am conscious. No, something is wrong. Kyla Orlouge is awake, but I am not inside. I am still locked tight in the glove. Oh my poor, poor body. Who is inside?

------------------------------------------

Kyla Orlouge opens her blue eyes partway, pulling her aching arms to wipe the sleep away. It has been weeks, months, years perhaps. Time has lost its hold on her. With the flick of her wrist there is an explosion within the medical ward and chaos ensues. When the fire is put out they will come looking for her. She will be gone. With the quickest of stops we are on our way.

Lionheart
05-30-12, 12:05 AM
“This place looks like a warzone,” Jayden murmured, attempting to alleviate the oppressive air that had settled over the Phoenix mercenaries just as it had settled over all of Radasanth. But while the young adventurer’s poor humor drew a handful of chuckles from the crowd, it drew far more disapproving glares. One of those glares was from James.

“This is not the time for theatrics Jayden,” the Amran replied sternly. Jayden’s head immediately sunk with a downcast sullenness. “While humor may be an effective method of raising morale in dark times, your efforts would be better suited at the moment were they turned to the cityscape surrounding us.”

James nodded towards a row of battered houses from which numerous Imperial Army pennons hung limply in the stale air. Each flag denoted a different makeshift command center for the Imperial Army’s high ranking officers and their staffs, and it appeared that each was hung over a household or business that had been commandeered for the war effort. And as if mimicking the depression of those whose lives had been ruined by Sei’s war, all of the pennons hung motionless and greying as they soaked in the soot filled air.

“Situational awareness is one of the greatest keys to surviving conflict and coming out on top Jayden. What can you tell me from your observations so far?” James settled into his lecturing tone, refusing to let a moment such as this go by without trying to impart some gleaming bit of knowledge on his young friend. It was an almost useless gesture, he knew, when stacked up against the overwhelming odds facing the mercenary band, but even a useless gesture was better than walking the streets of gloomy Radasanth.

“There’re plenty of guards around but I don’t see any civilians anywhere.” Jayden offered, and it was true. Since forming into a sensible marching order and entering Radasanth the Phoenix mercenaries had been stopped three times by roving patrols and had had to present Commander Errant’s orders and then wait for them to be verified. The Empire’s paranoia and security was almost ridiculous, but then Jayden supposed that he too would have been a little overly cautious if he was a country and his capitol had been invaded from within.

“Not really surprising given that we’re so close to the barricade around Radasanth Park,” James replied, maintaining a stoic demeanor. “What else?”

“Everything’s dirty,” Jayden continued hesitantly. “More dirty than it should be.”

“How so?”

“Everything has this greyish-black tint to it, as if everything has been smeared with ash.”

James looked up to the thick black clouds covering the city. “It is ash,” he explained, drawing Jayden’s attention upwards as well. “I’ll bet the crematoriums and the corpse fires have been burning non-stop since this whole mess erupted.”

“Why is that?”

“Dead bodies bring plague, whelp. A breakout of plague is one of the worst things that can happen to either side during a siege, especially when that siege is in the heart of a capitol city like Radisanth.”

“So they burn all the corpses to make sure no one gets sick.” James nodded.

Silence reigned as the company continued its walk towards the northern edge of the barricade, punctuated briefly by the shout of passing soldiers or the sharp whinnies of horse-bound messengers. “Is there anything else that you’ve noticed,” James prompted after a few minutes of silence. He could tell that the morbid fear was beginning to creep into Jayden’s mind and that simple talk was the best way to fight that off. Every sane person felt fear before a battle, and a little dose of it always helped to keep the instincts sharp. But there was a fine line between live-saving fear and life-taking fear and James wanted to ensure that his companion didn’t cross it.

“Jayden,” he prompted again.

“Are we fighting on the right side?” Jayden asked quietly, hiding his face from the knight.

“Eh?” James startled, honestly taken aback by the suddenness of the question. “Why do you say that?”

“You can’t tell me it hasn’t crossed your mind Sir James,” Jayden replied. “You’re much keener than me when it comes to war so if I’ve noticed something I’m sure you have too. Like when we glimpsed the barricade. We were told that the Ixians had built it as a defensive wall against the Imperial Army, but it looked to me from the way it was built that the Empire was the one that put it up.”

“To be fair,” James countered, “they do have a hostile army attacking them from within the heart of their city.”

“Yeah there’s that. But all that stuff looked like it had been taken from the houses surrounding the park. And I could see tents back in the park that were filled with nothing but women and children.”

“We knew that the Ixians had civilians amongst them. That’s why we’re trying to alert them to the Imperial Army’s surprise attack.”

“I don’t know,” Jayden sighed. “I just feel like the Empire isn’t really going about this the right way. I mean, look at what they’re doing to us. We showed up to help, though we didn’t have to, and they’re sending us on a suicide mission just to be a distraction. It’s like they don’t care about who gets hurt as long as they get their way.”

“Listen Jayden,” James’ tone softened. “I’m not from Corone so I can’t exactly understand what this war is doing to the people born and raised here. Sure the Empire had feuded with the Rangers for a generation but just as they’ve come to a stalemate and people can finally get back to living their lives Sei Orlouge steps in with his delusions of grandeur.”

James kept his voice low enough that no one else could hear his words, but there was a fervent righteousness building in his voice. “I’m no fan of the Empire or how they run things, but just the same I can’t support the man who brought all this misery and death to honest, innocent people just so he could praise himself as some sort of savior. In my eyes a true savior, a true ‘Hero of Radasanth’ would have done everything he could have not to have brought undue pain to others.”

“And that’s why you chose to fight on the Empire’s side?” Jayden was awed by the power of James’ conviction.

“No,” James said plainly and forcefully. “I chose to fight against Sei because of William Arcus.”

“Who?” the young adventurer asked, suddenly confused.

“William Arcus is the beast who tore Amra apart when I was just a young knight fresh from his Accolade. He’s a demonic creature fashioned by the ancient, forbidden magic of my ancestors and after he escaped he found his way to Corone where he was taken in and given power by Sei Orlouge.”

“Wait,” Jayden blurted out, “Isn’t he one of Sei’s generals? The one who destroyed Hauberlak by killing their guardian spirit?”

“Yes,” James hissed, a fire burning deep within him at the mention of the evil act. “And as corrupt as the Empire’s leaders are, they at least haven’t resorted to utilizing demons to do their handiwork that I know of. Sei’s either a fool for trusting in someone as evil as William Arcus, or is just as much a monster as the creature that he allies himself with. As much as I’d like to see both sides of this war lose, I want Sei to lose more.”

“Halt,” a stern voice broke James’ angry rant.

James immediately held up a hand, bringing the column marching six paces behind him to a halt. Once he was sure everyone had stopped he turned his attention to the soldier who had challenged them. He could tell that the man was agitated and had clearly not been expecting to see a cadre of well-armed men marching towards his position. It appeared that as efficient as the Imperial Army may have been in building up their numbers and hemming in the intruders from Radasanth Park, they were just as inefficient at communication between platoons within their own ranks.

“Excellent,” the sentry barked. “Now tell me who you are and what business you have here before I have you all locked in chains.”

James sighed. It was to be expected that the challenges he received would be more and more forceful the closer he got to the actual fighting line, but he was really becoming tired of explaining himself to foot soldiers with an over-inflated sense of self-importance.

“I am Ser James Alexander, commander of the Phoenix Ascendant mercenaries,” James began, reciting the same words that he had been forced to throughout the day. As he did so he pulled the rolled scroll containing his orders from his belt and held them out patiently to the sentry. “My men and I have been ordered by Commander Errant to report to the northern barricade station in preparations for a breaching assault.”

The sentry’s defenses lowered immediately as he took the orders and skimmed them over. “Breaching assault, eh? Well you’ve made it to the north barricade, you poor bastards, but I can’t say I envy you.”

“I take it the fighting’s bad on the north?” James asked, trying to be as pleasant and disarming as possible.

“The fighting’s bad everywhere. These damned Ixians are right hard nuts to crack. I don’t know who the hell trained them but I wish he’d been the instructor at my training camp.”

“When was their last offensive?”

“Y’edda’s tits man,” the sentry laughed. He returned the orders to James and then gestured for the mercenaries to follow him to the staging area. “The Ixians haven’t made an offensive since the first came out of the park and tried to take the Emperor’s Palace. As soon as they saw that they’ve failed to do that they pulled back to the park and made a defensive perimeter.”

“If they made a defensive perimeter in the park then why did you build the barricade around it?” Jayden asked, chiming in.

“Too many civilians were crossing the lines into the Ixian’s camp, kid, and we can’t have that.”

“Why not?” James interjected. “Doesn’t it make more tactical sense in a siege to have your enemy pouring supplies into taking care of refugees?”

“And what, have them start sympathizing with the enemy? No, these people belong to the Empire and that’s how it’s going to be.”

“I thought these people ‘belonged’ to themselves.” James was frowning now and trying to ignore the look that Jayden was shooting him. Instead he pointed to the nearest row of commandeered properties. “It seems like you’ve done a real good job of taking care of your people so far.”

“You’re being paid to fight for the Empire, mercenary, not to question it,” the sentry snapped peevishly. “Not report to the staging area to prepare for your breaching assault. You move when the trumpet sounds three long notes.”

“Very well,” James let the sentry get around the corner before muttering a few choice swears and then turned to Jayden.

“Jayden, I want you to lead the men over to the staging area as commanded. I’m going to sneak over to the barricade to see if I can get ahold of someone from the Ixain lines.”

“But Ser James, I really don’t think we …”

“That’s an order Jayden,” James commanded, his voice rigid. “We’ve cast our lot and I don’t have time to spend arguing the point with you.”

Jayden looked as if he was about to say something else, but the look that he got from James stopped him. “Yes, of course,” he said instead and gestured for the other adventurers to follow him to the staging areas.

James paused a moment as he watched the mercenaries file away. His head filled with a roiling storm of thoughts, but as much as he wished he had time to sort them out there was work to be done. Sighing, the Amran turned and made his way towards the gap in the barricade.

Amber Eyes
05-31-12, 11:34 PM
Magic is meant to be wielded. Those words follow us as my body carries me into the open air outside Ixian Castle. Chaos has ensued within the walls and my body has escaped. I am all nervous energy, desperate to be within my home once again. She needs my help. Magic is meant to be wielded. Of course. It comes to me as we exit the outer gates, my body flourishing her arm once again and detonating a bomb within the guard tower. As the explosion rings through the air I am but one thought. What have I done to you?

She makes her way carefully down the path that will lead straight into the heart of Radasanth. The yellowing grasslands surrounding her speak of the coming of winter, of the emptiness the cool months bring. The only sounds to reach her ears are the gentle rustling of the wind and her own soft footprints as her slippers hit the ground. Clothed only in a nightgown similar to all others locked away in the infirmary my body shows no sign of faltering as she surges toward some unknown threat. I focus all my energy on using her senses, trying hard to see what she sees. I struggle to connect with her and for a brief moment she stops, only to shake my pull from her senses and continue. I can hear her thoughts. No, I cannot even call it thought. For just as a war ravages Corone so a war ravages my body. Two magics never meant to exist in one place are starting to realize that their master has gone. They boil within her, each seeking its place in control. Magic is meant to be wielded, and when left to its own devices, it will consume us all.

Her eyes widen as her goal comes into focus in the distance. A group of men patrolling the lines of battle. I cannot see clearly enough through her eyes to make out the colors they wear but by the quickening of her heart and its pull against my being I know that we have found the ones she seeks. A soft melody fills her mind as she stares intently forward, and I can imagine the look of anger in her light blue eyes that I know so well. I can see the dimples in her pale cheeks as she bites her lip in anticipation of battle. I nearly feel the butterflies that always dance within her stomach as she considers carefully her opening move, the feeling of her hair seeming to stand at attention on the nape of her neck as she focuses to control every pore of her body. I struggle to make out the song as she begins to hum, once again regaining her pace towards the soldiers. A lullaby, perhaps it shall soothe her as she makes her way towards certain death.

Lionheart
06-03-12, 04:26 AM
Despite the apprehension uncoiling like an agitated serpent in the back of his mind, James walked towards the barricade boldly with firmness in his stride. There was every possibility that the Ixians would shoot him down as he approached their lines, or would assume that he was spreading Imperial falsehoods and would completely disregard what he had to say. But, in spite of the dangers facing him, James strode towards the Ixian line with a purpose.

The ten foot barricade that the Imperial Army had erected stretched as far as James could see in either direction, marked at long intervals with massive gates designed to let entire platoons of foot troops through. He could only assume from the debris left behind that the Imperial army had had troops manning the wall up until as recently as this morning, but now that they had left it was the Ixian’s turn to use the wall as a defensive line. And from what James could see, they were wasting no time setting up a perimeter.

Watching the dozen or so patrolling Ixians forced James to wonder exactly what was going through their minds at this turn of events. Only a complete fool would think that the Imperial Army was simply abandoning their defensive position without a reason. The Ixians, for as completely misguided as James thought they were, had never struck the knight as fools. The fact that they were taking their time to fortify the enemy’s abandoned position rather than charging out after their fleeing foes was proof of that.

“That’s far enough right there,” one of the Ixian soldiers hailed him a dozen paces from the barricade. James dutifully halted and held his hands respectfully in view, well away from the hilt of his sword. It was a useless gesture, James knew, since the half-dozen men behind the Ixian meant that any hostility on his part would be quickly put down.

“I assume you’re with the group mustering back there?” The lead Ixian asked, gesturing towards the gathered Phoenix mercenaries with the blade of his halberd.

“I am,” James nodded. “We are a mercenary group who came to Radasanth to assist with supplies and relief for the civilians caught up in your war.”

“So you’re assisting civilians by preparing to assault us?” the Ixian snorted mockingly.

“Unfortunately the Empire thought we would be of more use here than distributing supplies,” James shrugged.

“If that’s the truth,” the Ixian said, the humor fading quickly from his demeanor, “I suggest you and your men walk away from this one. It’s going to take more men than you have to break through our line and we take no pleasure in pointless loss of life.”

Though he was an enemy James found himself believing the man. The Ixian warriors that he could see moved with a practiced fluidity that was uncommon to warriors weathering a siege. He could break the Ixian’s line with a force of trained Amran knights at his command, but Jayden and the other volunteers were far from trained knights. But then, he reminded himself, he wasn’t being expected to break through the Ixian’s line, only to tie them up long enough for the Empire’s battle casters to crush the area and drown it in fire.

“I appreciate your concern,” James replied, “but that’s not the reason why I’m here right now. I said that we came to assist the civilians being affected by your war and I still hope to do that.”

“Throwing your lives away won’t help anyone,” the Ixian countered. “And none of the civilians that we are taking care of, and we are taking care of them, are here against their will. All of them came to us for support and we’d have a lot more if your masters hadn’t built this damned eyesore in the middle of my city.”

“Your city?” James asked, suddenly confused.

“Yes my city,” the Ixian snapped. “I was born and raised in Radasanth. I’ve had to live through all the shit that the Empire had thrown at its people, my people, in the name of preserving their own power. I’m tired of it, tired of seeing people used up and thrown away for nothing more than the personal glory of our bastard rulers. That’s why I joined the Ixian Knights and that’s why I’m here to protect the people of my city like the Empire should have.”

“Strong words,” James frowned in distaste, “But I would be willing to wager that you have never stopped to question how many lives your little war has disrupted.”

The Ixian’s face darkened and the grip on his halberd tightened visibly.

“Regardless” James continued, shrugging, “I did not come to you to debate the justness of your war.”

“Then why did you come?”

“I came because I’m honestly concerned about the safety of the civilians that you are sheltering.” James was speaking plainly, hoping that his forwardness would help get the urgency of his words across. He wasn’t sure how much time he had before the trumpets sounded the assault and the back and forth with the Ixian soldier was costing him time that he couldn’t afford to waste.

‘The civilians are in no danger with us,” the Ixian said simply. “We’re doing this for them regardless of what you think.”

“That’s the problem,” James answered. “They aren’t safe with you anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean to say that I have urgent information and unless you have more authority than overseeing this checkpoint, I suggest you put me in touch with one of your commanders.”

Amber Eyes
06-05-12, 12:55 AM
As my body approaches the line it becomes clear that I know very few of the combatants. This is an outside troop, one of the battalions given to us by our silent supporters. All the same they recognize the girl before them, even before she is within speaking distance you can hear the grumble of orders that always occurs when a high ranking officer appears unexpectedly. Several of the men lift themselves from sitting, attempting to wipe the dust from their rears and look as though they’ve been hard at work the whole time. I would have laughed had I controlled my lips, it never ceased to amaze me that the small time thief I’d been five years ago was now intimidating to those under my command. My body did not laugh; instead she silently continued her approach. Within moments I could make out several officers surrounding me.

“Lady Orlouge,” oh yes, definitely not Ixian troops. I can feel the confusion in his soul as he no doubt took in the silk nightgown that only barely covered her figure. The emotion quickly turned to embarrassment and I could imagine the flush of his face even before it appeared. He was a large man, no doubt some sort of Special Forces within his own military unit, now asked to fight for an unknown leader and listen to the likes of me. And yet, I could sense no malice in his heart, he must believe in the cause a great deal. He ran a finger through his dark brown hair, his eyes looking everywhere but at my body. “I wasn’t aware you were coming, would you like a status report?”

My nerves peaked when I realize she wouldn’t speak. There was nothing more than energy within, no conscious control, just muscle memory and raw magic. I again tried to force myself back into the form, and I could almost feel the cool wind upon her bare arms and legs when I was unceremoniously replaced with a foreign presence. It felt so wrong, feeling the stranger within what belonged to me. What was she trying to accomplish? How was she controlling me from within the castle?

“How many men do we have?” My voice filled the air, coming off colder than usual. It held an aire of superiority I hadn’t known possible.
If the battalion leader was affected it didn’t show, “Three hundred along the line, another six divided between patrols and securing the sides. We also have scouts making their way around the edge of the city searching for refugees.”

I almost didn’t recognize my voice as it rang loudly through the group. “Fall back.”

The man struggled to contain his excitement, “Lady Orlouge, we’ve been securing this line for days. Every step backwards gives them more claim to the city. If Radasanth falls Ixian Castle will follow suit. We cannot abandon this battle.”

“I don’t know where you come from Mr…”

The man stammered his own name. “Sergeant, Sergeant Pierce.”

“Well Sergeant Pierce. As I said, I don’t know where you come from, but within the Ixian forces we don’t question orders on the battlefield. Fall back now.” Her tone was more demanding than anything I could have mustered and the sergeant quickly obliged, sending men in all directions with the order.

Within minutes the men were dispersing, walking towards Ixian Castle to set up a line further away from the city. We were almost alone when a young man came running from our left, holding an Ixian Knights uniform jacket in his arms. “Lady Orlouge, whatever your plans this might help. Unless of course your going for a distraction, in which case I’ll hang on to it.” He was one of ours, and while I couldn't place his name it felt good to have a friend for even just a moment. With a smile he placed the jacket upon my shoulders before pulling his pack closer to his shoulders and rushing off to join his squadron.

When everyone was out of hearing distance the now familiar variation on my voice filled the air. “If you fight me I will destroy her.” I knew she was speaking to me, and then felt her communicating with my body. The woman’s presence left, leaving both of us with our orders.

Lionheart
06-06-12, 08:42 AM
James’ words hung in the air between the two men.

“Really?” the Ixian guard asked with skeptical amusement. “You think that coming here and acting all dramatic is going to get us to bring you to out commander?”

James frowned. “I guarantee you that I mean neither you nor your leaders ill intent in this matter.”

“I’ll admit that you don’t exactly strike me as an assassin,” the guard shrugged, “but wouldn’t you say that sending an assassin who doesn’t look like one would be the best way to do so?”

“No,” James replied. “I would think sending an actual assassin disguised as one of the civilians you are so ardently trying to protect would be a better way to kill an enemy than sending a mercenary commander marching into your front lines.”

Before the Ixian could reply, he was interrupted by one of his comrades, who whispered fervently in the man’s ear. The guard’s casual demeanor shifted immediately to a rigid, hardened attentiveness. James’ interest was piqued, but his position was precarious enough without forcing his way into the man’s business. “Stay here,” the guard commanded, gesturing for the lined up platoon behind him to watch James before stepping aside with the runner.

James sighed, holding his hands away from his sword while he waited. He looked back to his men, who seemed to have finished mustering and were dutifully awaiting either a command from James or for the trumpet to signal the beginning of the attack. They were good men, James knew, and he only hoped that they wouldn’t have to pay for that goodness with their lives. But war was indiscriminate in its thuggery and death was often the price one had to pay.

“What? That’s ridiculous!” James attention was drawn back to the guard by the forceful exclamation. The two men bickered back and forth for another half a minute before the Ixian guard threw his hands up in exasperation and stalked back over to James.

“Alright mercenary,” the man barked angrily, almost yelling. James was taken aback at the sudden shift in the man’s demeanor. “You want to talk to one of our leaders, eh? Come with me then. I’ll take you to see Lady Orlouge.”

“Lady Orlouge?” James exclaimed, surprised. “Sei’s daughter?” He honestly hadn’t been expecting to be taken to meet someone so high up on the Ixian chain of command, especially not an Orlouge. “Alright then,” he said when he had regained his composure. “I’ll come with you to meet her.”

Nodding, the Ixian guard gestured for James to follow. “Come on then,” he said, and the two of them marched past the guards at the line, who were now milling about uncomfortably. As James passed, he noted that it seemed like the Ixians were beginning to pull themselves off of the barricade.

”Are they abandoning their position?” James wondered. ”What’s going on? Did they already hear about the Empire’s plans?” But as curious as he was, James knew better than to bring it up, especially given the anger he could feel coming off the guard leading him back into the enemy’s lines. Maintaining his silence, James marched stoically towards Lady Orlouge.

Amber Eyes
06-06-12, 12:34 PM
“Ma’am.” The voice came from behind her, the same young man from before. If I had been in control I would have told him a thing or two about following orders, but my body stood still. “A member of the Phoenix Ascendant has asked to speak with a high ranking officer. Normally we would have taken him to Pierce, but since you are here…”

A gentle wave of my wrist shut the man up quickly, his small frame taking a few steps backwards as though putting a few feet between us would make any difference at all if he was wanted dead. My body slid her arms through the sleeves of the oversized jacket before buttoning the coat. It was meant for a larger man, the red and gold fabric reaching my knees and all but hiding the dressing gown. Only the tiniest sliver of blue silk shown beneath, my bare legs looking quite out of place against the uniform. We stood in silence, the boy’s face reddening with each passing moment, my body seemingly contemplating the turn of events, and myself wishing I didn’t have to feel what was coming.

The strange voice once again filled me, this time sounding sweet and gentle. I’m going to allow you control, I can’t fight from where I am without risking injury. I will allow you to control her for the rest of this fight, but so help me if you try anything; I do retain enough power to kill her instantly. The voice stopped and I could feel the glove being lifted to her chest, the blades just cutting the skin and then I could feel myself being pulled harder than ever, finally finding my home once again.

I tensed and released every muscle in turn, relishing each squeeze that followed. The feel of the breeze against my skin sent shivers up my spine and I couldn’t help but smile triumphantly. The young soldier cleared his throat behind me and I turned, taking care to remove the grin from my face. “Do we have a name?”

The man’s face reddened again, his brown eyes standing out in contrast. He shook his head in way of answer before remembering his manners, “No Ma’am. We haven’t got a name; just that he is a commander.”

I smiled, trying my best to put him at ease; it never suited me to have good men squirming before me. “Well,” I looked around, nothing but trenches surrounded us, “I’ll need two chairs, and perhaps a tent to block out some of the sun.” I pointed at a camp just visible in the distance, “And I have some orders for the men. I want a perimeter set up about a hundred feet back; I want the entire squadron to stand ready. No one will move unless I command, no matter what they see. Are my orders clear?”

The man bowed his head, no doubt familiar with the Orlouge’s insistence upon fairness and the results that typically had to the figurehead’s health. His voice was quiet, accepting that he could do nothing to change the order. “Yes Ma’am.”

I watched as he made his way back to the rest of the troops which were growing rapidly as each unit received word of their orders. The group stared at me, confusion evident on their faces, some not even attempting to hide their frustration. “And sir?”

He paused, slowly turning once again and giving me a sarcastic bow. “Yes Lady Orlouge?” The venom in his voice caught me a bit off guard, and I could only assume his thoughts were filled with things that he wouldn’t dare think were Sei present.

“I want the entire squadron to hold hands.’

The man lifted his eyebrows at the request, his face turning the now all too familiar shade of pink. His mouth tipped up slightly at the edges though he tried to suppress his laugh. “You want me to tell all these men to hold hands?”

I wiped my face clean of emotion, giving him a small curtsey in response to his bow. I focused my energy on him as I stood, my voice cold, “and I want you dead center."

Lionheart
06-08-12, 06:49 AM
There was a certain furor to the Ixian guard’s stride as the man marched back across the barricade with James in tow. Though the Amran knight didn’t know exactly what message had been relayed between the guard and the runner, he couldn’t help but notice the confused look of anger plastered all over the man’s face. His experience on the field of battle told James much about that look and the volumes of perceived betrayal of which it spoke. Something was going on inside the Ixian lines, something that the guard in charge of the northern gap didn’t like at all. James was willing to bet that whatever it was, it had something to do with the Lady Orlouge that he was being taken to.

Curious eyes followed the pair as the marched across the defensive lines that had been dug into the park’s perimeter behind the barricade. James knew that the heavy metal of his field plate and the kite shield strapped across his back contrasted sharply with the Ixian regular’s lighter armor, decidedly marking him as an outsider. But even so, he could feel little hostility coming his way from the Ixians whose paths they crossed. It was as if seeing enemy combatants brought in for private discussions with their leaders were commonplace for the private army, something James noted with surprised interest. He hadn’t met many military forces who gave off the same welcoming atmosphere that this one did. But as surprising as the Ixians’ openness was, it was even more surprising to the Amran knight to see a platoon of them holding hands in a circle around a hastily erected command tent.

“I can honestly say that I’ve never seen that happen before in a warzone,” James couldn’t help but voice as he and the guard passed the perimeter of hand-holding guards.

“Me neither,” the guard growled angrily. “But I think I know why it’s happening.”

“Oh?” James asked.

“Lady Orlouge?” the guard asked, opening the flap of the command tent and gesturing for James to proceed inside. “I’m Corporal Nicholas Sprauge, in charge of the northern defensive line at the barricade. I sent word ahead about the mercenary commander who wanted to see you.”

James nodded to the guard as he stepped past him, his eyes squinting reflexively at the contrast between the daylight and the tent’s dimmer interior. His face remained a mask of professional impassiveness as he nodded a greeting to the Lady Orlouge, but he couldn’t help but show a bit of surprise at the Ixian leader’s appearance.

The woman that stood before him in the command tent was a far cry from the leader whom he had faced at the beginning of the war. Her ill-fitting attire and ruffled demeanor gave the knight the impression that she hadn’t been weathering this conflict as well as could be expected for the leader of a force who was doing surprisingly well against their opponents. But despite all that, there was still a sharp, dangerous edge to the woman, and he knew that he would do well to not underestimate her. Especially given the dangerous magic that he knew she had at her disposal.

“We meet again, Lady Orlouge,” James offered, ignoring the look of surprise which appeared on his escort’s face at James’ familiarity. As he spoke, James was very careful to ensure that he kept his hands well away from the hilt of his blade, showing that he wasn’t planning any hostilities. “I understand if you are skeptical, especially given how our previous encounter went, but know that while I oppose your war, today I find that I am not your enemy.”

Amber Eyes
06-08-12, 06:53 PM
I stood waiting as several men set up my requested meeting area. If not for the dirt-lined trenches standing between myself and Radasanth I would be hard-pressed to tell this field from any other in the beautiful countryside of Corone. I, like everyone else within the Orlouge clan, love Corone with all of my heart. It is my home, and I have yet to find a land with greater people.

This whole war has done nothing but destroy the things I love. I suppose that’s all wars ever do. It’s difficult enough for me to think of Gisela’s sacred grounds covered with the blood of my countrymen, or to picture Underwood burning, but I cannot and will not see Radasanth fall.

I step inside the newly erected tent, wringing my hands as I try to make sense of everything around me and taking in the dusty scent that has always reminded me of home. I know Sei’s reasoning for holding back, we have too many friends inside the cities walls, but I cannot begin to understand why the woman from the castle brought me here. I’m trying to remember all I can about our exchange when I hear footsteps approaching.

As the men entered the tent I immediately recognized the knight I had encountered in one of the first fights of the war. I pictured his body lying motionless against a wall like he’d been the last time I laid eyes upon him. I waited for a request of surrender, surely that would be the only reason he would cross our lines so brashly. When he finished speaking I paused for a moment, mulling his words over in my head before I spoke.

“Enemy? If you haven’t noticed Mr. ---, Hm. It seems I never caught your name while you held your blade up to my father’s throat. Nevertheless, if you haven’t noticed this isn’t a war of enemies. I have no malice towards a single man on that battlefield, though if I did have to choose one to despise it would be hard pressed to find one I consider as cowardly or ignorant as you.”

Even as I spoke I began to feel the anger rise within me, perhaps I did have some malice left deep inside my tainted heart. “You happily lead a group of monsters and creatures of bloodlust, hiding behind a man created at the hands of the most reviled murderer in our entire world.” I paused for a moment, imagining him shouting his orders to Draug and Poison within the walls of the courthouse. “Yes, there is no man I despise more in this country than you, choosing to track down a man of honor like Sei Orlouge while finding alongside the most evil creatures I have ever laid eyes on. It is your doing that landed me in the hands of Cassandra Remi, it is your doing that my son is still there, and it is your doing that I am a prisoner in my own body. You carry yourself as a man of honor, hiding your own shortcomings behind the banner of justice. There is nothing more dishonorable than lying to yourself. You aren’t my enemy? I’m sorry sir, but right now you’re the only enemy I’m sure of. You wish to be a force for good within corone? Take a look at who else stands on your side of the battle lines. If those willing to fight with you are monsters and drunkards perhaps you should question your post.” I realize then that I’d been shouting, one look at the Colonel told me I’d very much overstated my anger. A cold chill filled my bones and out of reflex I folded my arms across my chest and turned my back, taking several steps away in an attempt to hide my embarrasment. What am I thinking? Coward or not, this man doesn’t deserve the aggression that is meant for the cult and the stanger in the castle.

I turn back towards the enemy commander, “Now if you still feel so inclined, tell me why you’ve entered my camp.”

Lionheart
06-09-12, 11:54 PM
James’ face maintained its stony demeanor throughout Kyla’s tirade, despite the riding choler that her words evoked. Most of her venomous prattle made little sense to the knight, but the few points which he did understand were so flawed and overly biased that James’ pride demanded that he make a retort to correct her misgivings. But despite the cries of his wounded pride, James was a trained tactician and his analysis of the situation was causing a stone to grow in his gut. It wasn’t that the woman’s fervor caused James to fear for his life, though the thought had certainly crossed his mind. What gave him pause in his words was the realization that the woman standing before him was far less in control of her mental facilities than the woman whom he had first faced at the beginning of Sei’s self-righteous war.

It wouldn’t be the first time that James had seen someone’s mind grow unhinged from the horrors of war. And, he supposed, Kyla’s fanatical devotion to father’s messianic delusions had started her in a poor position to begin with. Regardless, the reason for her descent didn’t matter in the end. It only mattered that James knew that he was engaging with a target that wasn’t completely rational.

While he wasn’t exactly pleased at the thought, James found it good to at least have a baseline for the people he was up against.

“Ahem, yes,” James began, clearing his throat to hide his discomfort. “My mercenaries and I came to Radasanth to offer our assistance to the civilians who have had the misfortune to be dragged into your aggression. Sadly, the Imperial Army thought we would be better used as fodder to be thrown on Ixian blades.”

James paused, his mind registering the subconscious venom in his voice and he cursed himself. He was here, he repeated, to assist the Ixians’ efforts this day, not to draw them out. He coughed again, urging his mind to be cooler, and continued.

“We were prepared to depart, unwilling to throw our lives away needlessly for Corone’s Empire until we discovered why it was that the Imperial Army wanted us to undertake an obviously suicidal mission. Those of us who remained swore that we would give our lives this day if necessary, but not for the people of Corone and not its Empire.”

“Now Corporal Sprague here assured me that you have only the best of intentions in mind for the civilians you have in your care.” James paused again, waiting for a reaction from Kyla. Seeing none he sighed and continued. “And from what I’ve seen of your operations, I have not yet found any reason to doubt the good Corporal’s word.”

James nodded to the guard, who fumbled around slightly at the praise.

“So to answer your question, Ixian, I’ve entered your camp today to betray the Imperial Army’s battle plans in the hopes that I can save the lives of the civilians in your camp. I tell you this not so that you will be impressed with my dramatics but so that you understand the urgency in my words.”

“Soon,” James waved out the tent flap, being very cautious to keep his hands away from the hilt of his weapon as he did so, “I’m not sure exactly when, but soon the Empire will sounds three blasts on their trumpets to begin the attack upon your lines. This will be a distraction to draw your men into concentrated groups where they can target them with at least two dozen highly trained battle mages. They plan to use their magic to collapse the park upon your tunnels and then use fire to destroy everything inside the barricade.”

Amber Eyes
06-11-12, 11:31 PM
I turned my back to him as he spoke, unwilling to allow my facial expression to show him any sign of weakness should his news surprise me. When his intention was clear I did my best to stifle the laugh that began in my belly. I lost that battle though; I could feel it working its way through my chest and into my mouth, erupting within the small tent.

“You came behind my lines to warn me of magic users? Didn’t you fight me once before? You think I hold all the abilities in my army?” I turned, looking into his eyes once more, my smile evident. “Have you never heard of the mystic race? Even now, the civilians are being moved to housing within Ixian Castle, they will be safe. Every single battalion within this army has magic amongst their ranks. There is more magical ability in my family tree than in most the rest of the country combined. Carry on with your little mission Sir; I assure you we can handle the dying Phoenix Ascendant army. If you haven’t noticed, they aren’t that many of you left. My father’s war is almost at an end, and there is no doubt in my mind of who shall be victorious.”

And my own war is just beginning. I looked around the tent once more before settling my eyes upon the knight’s chaperone. “Give me a few minutes and then make sure this man makes it safely back to his side of the battle lines? We wouldn’t want what remains of the empire to think us inhospitable.” I gave the knight a final smile and opened the doors of the tent, enjoying the feeling of sunshine upon my skin once more. The men stood a good distance back, still holding tight to each other for fear of reprimand. A slight shiver of fear filled me as I pictured the scene a few moments from now. Shaking the stray thoughts from my head I stepped closer to the lines, searching for a stray pebble along the way. When I spotted one I stopped, picking it up and finding my target. The jacketless soldier from before stood directly in the center of the line, just as requested, seemingly waiting for some explanation. I gave him a grin before I spoke.

“Just hold tight no matter what soldier. Sei should be here soon, news of my departure from Ixian Castle should have reached him by now. Please tell him to keep the black haired woman away from the medical ward.” I tossed the small rock into the air a couple of times, catching it within Sophia’s Mane. I could tell the exact moment the woman in the castle realized my plan, and could feel her trying to regain control once again. The lullaby filled my thoughts as I threw the rock with all my might, watching as it arched towards him. As I heard the glass cracking from all sides I pulled Sophia’s Mane to my chest once more, stabbing the skin as softly as I could. I felt myself being pulled through the cool blades as my arms and legs began to sting from the cuts. Blackness overtook me in the same moment that I felt my body lose consciousness. I wasn’t strong enough to fight her yet, but I wasn’t going to let her use my body as a weapon. When the flesh is healed I will be ready. The war for Corone is at near an end. The war for me is just beginning.