PDA

View Full Version : The Adventurer's Crown Tournament

Revenant
08-10-12, 12:04 PM
During the highlight of his career Kenneth Stern had been an adventurer’s adventurer. In fact, had anyone remembered him at all they might have called him THE adventurer of Althanas. He had slipped past the ancient traps and death wards which guarded the lost and forgotten tombs beneath Scara Brae and Fallien. He had ridden the ancient mother of the Berevar Bears, Bregurllur, for forty days and nights until she had been forced to accept that he was the one creature under the sky she could not throw off. He had even guided his way through the mystical Maze of Melthellnon, so confounding and elusive that even the memory of it had gotten lost inside and was therefore doomed to wander for eternity within its ever shifting walls.

But all that was past him now, and that suited Kenneth Stern just fine. He’d seen it all and done it all, and had decided that what he wanted was nothing more than a well earned vacation. Well, he thought to himself, that wasn’t exactly true. He also wanted to see others follow in his footsteps so that they could see the same wondrous sights and do the same amazing things that he had done. He had always been a generous sort like that.

Knowing exactly what to do, and what he needed to do it, Kenneth disappeared for several minutes, reappearing in the exact same spot with a flowery poof and several of the magical items which made up only a tiny fraction of his mindblastingly huge horde. Satisfied that he was ready, Kenneth took a sip from the elixir which he had made with his citrine philosopher’s stone (which bestowed the exact same immortality benefits as his azure philosopher’s stone, three ruby philosopher’s stones, diamond philosopher’s stone, and one very strange stuffed gopher, only without the downside of tasting like duck urine) and pulled out a long quill made from the feather of a velociraptor. Combined with the piece of parchment that he pulled out (surprisingly, just normal parchment), the quill’s message would be carried to every posting board in every bar, tavern, hostel, mercenary recruitment center, and yoga class in Althanas.

It read:

Let it be known,

I hereby declare open enrollment for the Althanas Adventurer’s Crown tournament. The rules for this contest will be as follows:

1. Enrollment in the Adventurer’s Crown will be open until we have at least 12 participants. After 12 participants have signed up, registration will be open for roughly another week.
2. Once there are enough participants, everyone will be randomly assigned into even groups (or groups as even as we can make them given how many participants there are).
3. Participants will then be whisked to an island of my making and deposited there in their groups where they will be presented with a task and a series of challenges.
4. Groups will then have two weeks to write a thread somehow accomplishing this task and incorporating all of the challenges.
5. At the end of two weeks, I will judge all of the threads and resurrect any fallen participants.
6. Everyone participating in Round 1 will receive a magic item (see below).
7. Top groups (number may vary based on how many participants there are) will advance to Round 2.
8. Participants will once again be randomly assigned into groups of two. (All efforts will be made to pair people up who weren’t in the same group Round 1.)
9. New groups will once again be relocated, given a task, and a series of challenges.
10. As before, groups will have two weeks to write a thread somehow accomplishing this task and incorporating all of the challenges.
11. At the end of two weeks, I will judge all of the threads and resurrect any fallen participants.
12. Everyone participating in Round 2 will receive a magic item (see below).
13. Top four participants will advance to Round 3.
14. Each participant will be relocated, given a task, and a series of challenges.
15. Each participant will have two weeks to write a thread somehow accomplishing the task and incorporating all of the challenges.
16. At the end of the two weeks I will judge the threads and resurrect and fallen participants.
17. Each participant will then receive a unique item based on their ranking first-fourth.
18. All participants in the event will then be sent home, richer and no worse for the wear.

Earned Items
Round 1: Treasure Map – This rare map shows the location of a hidden cache of cash that Kenneth has hidden for you. Once, at the end of any thread, you can use this map to gain 100% bonus GP from the thread. Alternately, if you actually write a thread about hunting for the map’s treasure, you will receive 500% GP for the thread.

Round 2: Stone of Experience – These gems contain snippets of some of Kenneth’s greatest adventurers and impart that experience onto the bearer slowly over time. For the next five threads that the user completes, they gain a 50% bonus to XP.

Fourth Place: Teleportation Stone – Once per thread (or day if the thread lasts longer) the owner of this stone can teleport themselves and anyone they are touching to any location on Althanas that they are familiar with. The owner can choose whether or not anyone touching them is teleported.

Third Place: Portable Hole – The dark, shadowy weave of this ten foot circular piece of fabric seems to catch the light around it and draw in into nothingness. When placed against a solid surface, this fabric makes a hole up to ten feet deep in whatever surface that it is placed upon. This hole is an extra-planar pocket and cannot harm the surface it’s placed upon in any way. Persons using the hole can pass through to the other side of the hole assuming the surface that it is placed upon is less than ten feet thick, and can pull the hole through the opposite side if so desired. Objects within the hole created by the fabric are dumped, unharmed, onto the ground just outside the hole if they are still inside when the fabric is removed.

Second Place: Morphic Steel Orb – This melon sized ball of hardened steel is solid and firm when touched by anyone but the owner. When the owner wishes it, the orb can reshape itself into anything that the owner can think of up to the size of a small horse. All items retain the hardness of steel and cannot be enchanted, though any damage done to the object repairs itself as soon as the owner wills it.

Adventurer’s Crown: Destiny’s Book – The faded leather binding of this tome look worn and well-used, yet somehow still timeless. Within the pages of this massive tome is knowledge of everything that ever way, and everything that even may be. Because of the fluid nature of time, the words on the pages, and even the pages themselves, are as shifting as events themselves. But even though nothing is set in stone, this book senses the reader’s desires and shows them what they want to know with the greatest possible accuracy. Still, even with the book’s help this tome’s massive size and fluid nature make it a necessity to study if the user wants to find what they are looking for. The owner of this tome can, if they so desire, know just about anything, although Destiny’s Book cannot be used at all in combat situations thanks to the difficulty one has reading it.

*Note, Treasure Maps and Stones of Experience are bound to their characters and cannot be sold, traded, or otherwise given away. The top four items can be sold, traded, or given away as normal.
Kenneth sat back and watched the last of the ink dry on the parchment with a smile, thinking, Let the adventure begin.

Revenant
08-10-12, 12:05 PM
For those of you who'd like to participate, post in this thread with your intention to do so.

Best of luck to you all.

Participants:
Artemis Eburi - SirArtemis
Erissa Tarsul-Caedron - Sagequeen
Caelan Delvin - Caelan Bolish
Mordelain Saythrou - Mordelain
Sorish Mon Larsh - hoytti
Letho Ravenheart - Letho
Kyla Marie Orlouge - Amber Eyes
Cellar Door - Taste of Treason
Black Shadow - black shadow
Touma Kamikaji - Whispers of Abyssion
Alicia - TheOnlyGhost
Sei Orlouge - Silence Sei
Zack Blaze - Zack Blaze
Steppenwolf Orlouge - Steppenwolf Orlouge
Benjiro Taka - Tainted Bushido
Lilliana Ambria - Lilliana Ambria
Ceidon Lorè - Ceidon
Tracy of the Quintet - General Quintet
Play Back - Play Back
Captain Blake Andrews - In the Vastness of Stars
Hsa Eulb - Chibimon Blue
Dan Wilmhearst - Slayer of the Rot
Madison Freebird - BlackandBlueEyes
Itera - Itera
Isylle - Isylle
Inwuhou - Inwuhou
Resolve Curie - Resolve
Elijah Belov - Christoph
Talen Shadowwalker - Hysteria
Flint Skovik - Warpath
Dana - Dana
Barnabas Casimir Tourneymant - Tourneymant
Ciato Orlouge - Ciato Orlouge
Neceran 'Nessa' Zeiler - Neceran
Raksha the Seeker - Harbinger

SirArtemis
08-10-12, 12:21 PM
I'll give it a go. Why not?

Sagequeen
08-10-12, 12:25 PM
I'll compete :)

And Artie:

2. Once there are enough participants, everyone will be randomly assigned into even groups (or groups as even as we can make them given how many participants there are).

Caelan Bolish
08-10-12, 01:32 PM
I will join.

Mordelain
08-10-12, 01:43 PM
I would like to participate.

hoytti
08-10-12, 02:06 PM
Sorish and Roxi are in. Destiny's Book will help with with Sorish's history research as he is becoming a historian next level.

Letho
08-10-12, 02:46 PM
Been waiting for an AC iteration for a long while. Count me in.

SirArtemis
08-10-12, 02:49 PM
Dibs on letho on my team. Don't care if we can't pick teams. Still calling dibs.

Amber Eyes
08-10-12, 03:21 PM
Kyla's in :)

Taste of Treason
08-10-12, 03:23 PM
Cel is also in.

black shadow
08-10-12, 03:32 PM
I'm in.

Mordelain
08-10-12, 04:15 PM
Actually, can I enquire as to wherever or not Mordelain's ability to planes walk between the worlds of the Khalithrism will be hindered at all during this engagement?

Revenant
08-10-12, 08:08 PM
Actually, can I enquire as to wherever or not Mordelain's ability to planes walk between the worlds of the Khalithrism will be hindered at all during this engagement?

After looking it over I don't see why not, though its usefulness might be somewhat limited given the specifics of the tasks that lie before you.

Whispers of Abyssion
08-10-12, 08:37 PM
I believe that the nature of the artefacts to be claimed suffice to warrant Touma's involvement in these... tasks...

TheOnlyGhost
08-10-12, 09:05 PM
I'll do it ... I'm in!

Silence Sei
08-11-12, 01:34 AM
Registered, yo.

Zack Blaze
08-11-12, 01:34 AM
I'm in as well

Steppenwolf Orlouge
08-11-12, 01:36 AM
Registered!

Tainted Bushido
08-11-12, 02:56 AM
Registered. UTZ!

Liliana Ambria
08-11-12, 02:56 AM
Registered.

TheOnlyGhost
08-11-12, 05:21 AM
Suggestion for the randomness of team building:

Get some dice, associate each member with the dice number, roll them twice (once for each group assuming there are two in the group) and those results are the team.

For example:

Let's say there are 18 participants (numbered 1 - 18 in order of registration) so get three dice (normal dice has numbers 1 - 6, so 6X3 = 18) ... roll them all twice, and you get your team.

If I'm 6 and some other member is 17, then the first roll would have to equal 6 (a 5 and a 1) and the second roll would equal 17 (random combos, won't list them all because I assume you can count :p ) ... therefore me (being 6) would be on #17's team.

That's my suggestion to make it entirely fair and random. Agree? Disagree? Other methods? Make Sense? Baked Potatoes anyone?

;)

P.S.: If you are to lazy to get dice and/or to poor to afford them, then there are random number generators you can find on a simple google search, you can use that too. :p lol!

Revenant
08-11-12, 10:36 AM
I was just going to use a random number generator, but thanks for the idea.

Looks like we've reached our minimum number of participants so we'll start working on the countdown to the beginning. Tell anyone who's still interested that they only have a few days to log in and sign up.

Ceidon
08-11-12, 12:53 PM
REGISTERED!

If I'm not too late.

Revenant
08-11-12, 02:51 PM
REGISTERED!

If I'm not too late.

You are not! Welcome to the Adventurer's Crown.

General Quintet
08-11-12, 03:20 PM
Tracy from the Quintet will join in the tournament. He is the main fighter of the quintet and is the only one able to enter tourneys.

Play Back
08-11-12, 03:23 PM
Registered.

In The Vastness Of Stars
08-11-12, 03:24 PM
Registered

Chibimon Blue
08-11-12, 03:24 PM
And against my better judgement, registered.

Slayer of the Rot
08-11-12, 03:31 PM
Registered! Am I late? Am I too late? Shit!

Silence Sei
08-11-12, 03:33 PM
Not at all, friend! Welcome back! Make it stick this time!

hoytti
08-11-12, 03:38 PM
Am I right in saying this will be closed on the 18th?

Revenant
08-11-12, 03:51 PM
@Slayer: I don't think I could keep you out if I wanted to. *hides in a corner*

@hoytti: The registration should be open for a week-ish. The exact closing date will be based primarily on how active the registration remains. If you know of someone who'd like to join or wish to create a separate account for registration, I wouldn't dawdle though.

BlackAndBlueEyes
08-11-12, 04:00 PM
Hm.

Alright.

Why not.

Let's see if I can make this stick this time.

Registering NAO, kthnxbai

Itera
08-13-12, 02:42 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm registering for this tournament. Let's all do our best!

Isylle
08-13-12, 02:44 PM
My word, there is quite the excitement here, isn't it? Oh well, it can't be helped. I'm registering. Good luck!

Inwuhou
08-13-12, 02:46 PM
I don't suppose there's a consolation prize, of some sort? A sash, maybe, for the also-rans?

Oh, and I would like to register, please.

Revenant
08-13-12, 04:48 PM
I don't suppose there's a consolation prize, of some sort? A sash, maybe, for the also-rans?

Everyone who participates will at least get the a Treasure Map per the rules, regardless of whether they move on to Round 2 or not.

Resolve
08-13-12, 07:32 PM
I'm in!

Christoph
08-13-12, 07:48 PM
Oh, why not? I can never pass up a tournament. Registered.

Opposites
08-15-12, 08:11 PM
I will not enter, especially if there isn't even a single crumb of food in between rounds.

Revenant
08-15-12, 08:17 PM
I will not enter, especially if there isn't even a single crumb of food in between rounds.

Very well, you have not been entered.

TheOnlyGhost
08-16-12, 05:48 AM
For the treasure map ... do you HAVE to use it's perks in the tourny only? Or ... can you use it at anytime you please (say in your own quest, or someone elses that you participate in outside the tourny)?

Hysteria
08-16-12, 07:22 AM
Totally want in on this!

TheOnlyGhost
08-16-12, 09:00 AM
If it all possible, yeah I know you will have it randomized, but if you change your mind for some odd reason I have dibs on Hysteria as a teammate. If not, I'll just pray lol!

Revenant
08-16-12, 10:16 AM
For the treasure map ... do you HAVE to use it's perks in the tourny only? Or ... can you use it at anytime you please (say in your own quest, or someone elses that you participate in outside the tourny)?

The treasure map is to be used outside of the tournament. In fact, you get a bonus by writing a thread devoted to it rather than just using it.

If it all possible, yeah I know you will have it randomized, but if you change your mind for some odd reason I have dibs on Hysteria as a teammate. If not, I'll just pray lol!

No, no, we're still going to randomize groups.

Totally want in on this!

Then you're in.

Warpath
08-16-12, 10:30 AM
Count me in

Revenant
08-16-12, 11:19 AM
Alright everyone, last day to sign up. If you have an account that you want to enter or know someone who wants in on this now is the time to register. I will post up the Round 1 groups tomorrow along with the prompts so you all can begin talking about it and will have Round 1 starting on Saturday.

Of note, in the CHAT feature it is possible to create a private chat room that you can invite others into to discuss your round. At the top of the chat is a selector called "Channel" you can choose either Althanas or your own account. Once in your own account you need to select "List online users" and can invite people into your chat room by clicking on their name and sending an invite.

Dana
08-16-12, 12:59 PM
Registered. Character is approved.

Tourneymant
08-16-12, 01:53 PM
Tourneymant will register as soon as accepted.

Ciato Orlouge
08-16-12, 01:53 PM
Registered, at least, once approved, that is.

Neceran
08-16-12, 02:12 PM
Registered, if approved in time.

Revenant
08-16-12, 05:25 PM
Since you've all got your profiles approved you have been entered into the Adventurer's Crown.

Harbinger
08-16-12, 10:14 PM
Howdy, id like to register too.

Revenant
08-17-12, 09:15 AM
Registration is now closed. Prepare for group assignments.